S1: It's great to think about Jesus as a baby, Jesus in the manger and Jesus on Mary's lap, but we dare not forget that he was also born king. Coming up, special guest Alistair Begg helps us understand that Christ's first coming was also about his second coming. He was born King, but Jesus will soon return as King of Kings. And with that we say welcome to the land and the book. Our host is a widely recognized Middle East Authority doctor, Charlie Dyer, and I'm John Geiger. Boy, Charlie. This week it feels like somebody is agitating the entire globe like a salt shaker, don't you think?
S2: Exactly right, John. It's like they have the mixer on and they have it on. Activate and just turning it around. Well, we're.
S1: Going to swing our focus toward current events after we think about the fact that as this end of the year approaches, many world events really have left us wondering what God's plan is for the future, and this is especially true when it comes to Israel, despite its small size. People around the world are intensely focused on what takes place there. Our today's headlines somehow connected with prophecies in the Bible. And how should followers of Jesus interpret current events as we await his second coming? Yeah.
S2: To help answer those and other crucial questions, our friends at Life and Messiah encourage you to check out their new book, God, Israel, and Bible Prophecy with Scripture as its foundation. This book will take you on a journey into what God has in store for the Jewish people and the nations. This book is for anyone who wants to explore where modern day events fit on God's prophetic timeline. If that's you or someone you know, this could be a great resource or gift. Visit Life and Messiah. Org and click on the Moody Radio button to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in Messiah. Org.
S1: Well, Charlie, it's almost impossible to wrap your brain around the fact that in a single week, the 50 year rule over Syria by the Assad family collapsed. How did this regime fall so suddenly? And what might happen next in Syria?
S2: Yeah, the Syrian military was a house of cards. It was propped up by Russia, Iran and Hezbollah. They were the ones ten years ago who rescued Assad from almost certain defeat at that time. But this time, none of them were able to come to Assad's aid. Russia's bogged down in Ukraine. Hezbollah was decimated by Israel, and Iran's axis of resistance collapsed, leaving them vulnerable to attack. Rebel forces took advantage of this to gain territory in northwest Syria, but the Syrian army just simply disintegrated before them. Other rebels joined in, and in just a matter of days, they all reached Damascus. Assad fled to exile in Russia, leaving the world stunned. Now what happens next, though, I think is anyone's guess. First, there are multiple rebel groups. The leader of the main one is Abu Mohammad Al-julani, or that last name could be Ghailani since he was from the Golan region. He's the commander of Hayat Tahrir al-Sham we talked about last week, but that's known by its initials, HTS. Now, in addition to HTS, though, there's the Syrian National Army, an umbrella group generally aligned with and supported by Turkey. It has some connections to the Muslim Brotherhood and shares political and religious goals that are similar to Hamas. Still another group are the Syrian Democratic Forces, a coalition of primarily Kurdish fighters supported by the United States. They control northeast Syria. About the only thing these groups share in common is a hatred for Assad. Iran and Hezbollah. And then there are significant ethnic minorities like the Kurds, the Druze, the Alawites, who have a vested interest in the outcome. Now another problem is the religious component. He was an Islamic military group connected to al Qaeda. Abu Mohammad Al-julani now claims to be a moderate and is assuring others he is no longer a jihadist. But can he be trusted? You know, when I heard all this, I thought of Jeremiah 13, where the prophet asked if the leopard can change his spots, or if those accustomed to doing evil can do good. And the answer generally is no. So can Syria become a vibrant democracy? Or will the majority democratically vote in an Islamic Sharia state with groups aligned religiously with ISIS, Al Qaeda, and Hamas vying for control? Well, right now the answer is we just don't know. But we do need to remember that the Arab Spring, which took place 14 years ago, is what brought about ISIS, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria just three years later. This situation is incredibly complex and definitely needs our prayer as we watch to see what's going to take place.
S1: Charlie from a 30 zero zero zero foot level. Am I accurate here in assessing that Assad's government, essentially he being Shiite was taken out by a Sunni dominated power. Is that correct?
S2: That's a that's a good explanation of it. And indeed, he was not even just a Shiite but an Alawite, which is a subset of the Shiite. So it was a minority ruling over the majority. And the majority of Syria is Sunni, which just chafed under his rule.
S1: Well, with just five weeks left until president elect Trump assumes office and his deadline for Hamas to release the hostages, what has been happening with all the negotiations we're hearing about, and what might the U.S. do if Hamas refuses to release them?
S2: Egypt submitted a proposal to Hamas that offered an extended 60 day ceasefire, during which the children, elderly women and badly wounded hostages would be released in exchange for Palestinian security prisoners. Now, the talks have reached the stage where both sides are discussing the specific timetable and the lists of those to be released. Now, Israel believes 96 hostages still remain in Gaza, though at least 34 of them are confirmed to be dead. So what might the US do if, in the end, Hamas refuses to move forward and release the hostages? Well, it's unlikely the US would directly attack Gaza. However, we might allow Israel to become more aggressive by supplying additional weapons or by supporting them in the UN against any repercussions for further attacks. Or Trump could give a green light for Israel to annex some or all of the West Bank to officially make it part of Israel. That's not very likely, but it's certainly a possibility. It's also possible we could allow Israel to attack Iran, or even join in such an attack ourselves on Iran's nuclear facilities or oil production facilities, or its military. With the fall of their ally in Syria, Iran is facing difficult times militarily and economically, and we could threaten to punish them if they don't pressure Hamas to cooperate. However, it's unclear right now how much influence they actually have on Hamas. The bottom line is, we don't know how Hamas is going to respond or how Trump will react if the hostages aren't released, but we do know the clock is ticking.
S1: This is the land and the book from Moody Radio. Our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer. I'm John Gager. You can tell a lot has been going on in the Middle East. Lots we need to know about. Well, Charlie, Israel's drawn out war against Hamas and Hezbollah placed a strain on its armed forces and highlighted the problem with ultra-Orthodox Jews refusing to enlist. What's the reason for their refusal? And what steps are being taken to resolve all of this? Yeah.
S2: From the founding of the State of Israel, most ultra-Orthodox Jews have refused to serve in Israel Defense Forces. Part of the reason is that they believe they're real service to the Jewish people is to study and preserve the Torah and the Talmud. The other part of the reason is that they believe the secular nature of the IDF is incompatible with their religious lifestyle. This includes things like, well, maintaining religious purity, eating strictly kosher food, gender separation accommodations, and having specific times for study and prayer. The current arrangement worked for years because the ultra-Orthodox were a relatively small portion of the population, and because Israel's military philosophy was to have a small army able to fight short wars. But the current wars lasted over a year, exhausting those in the army, as well as the reservists who had been called up multiple times. They need more manpower, and many Israelis are now demanding that the ultra-Orthodox step up and do their fair share. But this confrontational approach isn't working. The religious are serious about remaining faithful to God, and they're willing to resist for their faith. The current government is looking for ways to compromise. The former mayor of Jerusalem said more do need to be conscripted, but that it needs to be done with the appropriate sensitivity. He believes steps can be taken to alleviate the fear of secularization, while providing incentives for those who do agree to serve. With Hanukkah coming up in two weeks, the IDF has announced the formation of a new combat brigade named after the Hasmonean dynasty who led the Maccabean Revolt. This new brigade would incorporate adherence to strict religious lifestyle. They've also formed the first Air Force ground technical crew of certified technicians for F-16 fighter jets. The IDF provided adjustments to allow them to maintain their religious lifestyle, including gender separation, strictly kosher food, and a synagogue on the base. Now, hopefully, the two sides can work out more creative compromises that will enable the ultra-Orthodox to serve their country without having to abandon their religious principles.
S1: Charlie, any early reactions that we're reading about from the ultra-Orthodox on these these changes that are being made?
S2: There are some positive comments, but they're just a minority right now. They I think most ultra-Orthodox are still fearful of where the IDF ultimately wants them to go.
S1: Well, archaeologists now believe the cave at ancient Caesarea Philippi was transformed from a sacred site to a banquet hall by King Herod Agrippa the Second. What have they discovered that led them to this conclusion?
S2: Yeah, they believe this cave was repurposed during the reign of King Herod Agrippa the Second. That's the one mentioned with Paul in the Book of Acts during the Jewish Revolt. He fled Jerusalem and sided with the Romans, and part of his kingdom included this area, and they believe he converted the cave into a nymphaeum triclinium, a venue for Roman style banquets. During the recent excavations, they uncovered a large aqueduct and water installations in the outer courtyard, with niches flanking the eastern and western sides. They found similar examples of this in Italy, and what they believe is that he did this so that when Titus came up to Caesarea Philippi, he was hosted there by Agrippa. The archaeologists hope at some point in the future to recreate how the site might have looked as a Roman dining area.
S1: Wow, that's an interesting development. Thank you. Charlie, that's a look at current events coming up on the land and the book A conversation with Alistair Begg. Let earth receive her King here on the land and the book. Of. Christmas has a problem. And it might just be us. That's right. We who love and worship Jesus often overlook or ignore the fact that the Christmas story is much bigger than a chapter or two in the Gospels. The first coming of Christ is the grand story arc of the entire Old Testament, and of course, the heart of the Gospels. And all of that points to his second coming up next, a call for you and me to let Earth receive her King. Hey, welcome back to the land and the book. I'm John Gager really pumped about connecting you with today's special guest, Alistair Begg. But what about connecting first with our Jewish friends and neighbors. Here's an idea. Well, there you are. And you have started a friendship with a Jewish friend. And you're wondering what's a first step in reaching out to them with Messiah Jesus? That's a question we'll throw at Eva Rydell. Nick, what do you say? What's a first.
S3: Step? I think the first step is to have a genuine personal relationship. You know, just to begin communication. And I think this is true with non-Jewish people as well as Jewish people, that if you want to share the person that you love the most in the world with a person that you're just getting to know, it has to begin with friendship.
S1: I think of former Moody Bible Institute President Michael Easley. He said, for a friendship to develop, you have to have two things common interests and time. Yes.
S3: Got to spend time together. Exactly. Common interest in the time. So what you look for are things that you have in common. And then look for opportunities to spend time together. And as a result of those two elements, then conversation will come up. And, you know, prayerfully that conversation can be directed toward the Messiah.
S1: It's interesting what you're saying, because I think a lot of times we want to jump right to that conversation so quickly, and that might well be ill advised. You're saying.
S3: Right, because if you go right to the conversation before they're ready to hear, the door closes and it's very hard to pull that door open once it's shut.
S1: How to take a good first step? That's Eva Riedel, adjunct faculty member at the Moody Bible Institute here on the land and the book. Pastor Alistair Begg has been in ministry since 1975. Following graduation from the London School of Theology, he served eight years in Scotland at both Charlotte Chapel and Edinburgh and Hamilton Baptist Church. In 1983 he became the senior pastor at Parkside Church near Cleveland, Ohio. Alistair has written a number of books and is heard daily and weekly on the radio program truth for life. I hear it Often. He and his wife Susan have three grown children. Hey, a warm welcome to the land and the book.
S4: Pastor Alistair John, thank you very much. It's a privilege to get to talk with you.
S1: Well, our conversation today is focused on your new Christmas devotional, let Earth Receive her. King and I have to confess to you up front. I kind of wanted to sort of merely peruse it quickly, but every page I read made me want to linger, ponder, read more. So thank you upfront for this very powerful look at the season of advent.
S4: Well thank you. I actually have done the same thing and begun to read it through because I if I ask others to, I would imagine that I should do the same. And although I don't find it difficult to understand, it causes me to really think things through.
S1: Yeah, well, you divide the book into five sections and we're going to take a look at each one of them briefly, starting with Christmas in the beginning. That's section one. You point out that Christmas has its roots in the Garden of Eden, and you write that in Genesis three, the evil one was warned even as humanity was cast out of the garden, that someday a male would undo his evil schemes and would be born. That there to me is enough to send chills down our spines. The advent story right in the Garden of Eden at our lowest point. Why, though, do so many of us miss this?
S4: Well, I think perhaps because of the way that we tend to tackle Christmas. It finally comes around. It bounces out just after Thanksgiving, and we give very little time to preparation for it, usually, no matter what our advent perspective might be. And so I think we're caught off guard by realizing that, as you said, by way of introduction, this actually has a huge arc to it. And when we read the early chapters of the Bible, we realize that everything is looking forward to something and to someone.
S1: You've titled the second section of your devotional, Christmas in the land. What are you referring to in this?
S4: Well, Want us to see that the child is born, a son is given. The government will be upon his shoulder. All of the prophecies of the Old Testament are once again looking forward to. Not an idea, but to a person. And the story of that period of time is involving Samuel. It's involving the Chronicles. The great question of Solomon, you know, will God really dwell on earth with men? And that's what the emphasis is in that little section, that the tidings of comfort, the tidings of joy are going to actually take place in the land. So, for example, Micah. But you, Bethlehem, though you be the least, and so on. That's the emphasis in that little section.
S1: It seems to be the comfort and joy are not Christmasy things. They're things that we need all year long. And the fact that they're so closely associated with the birth of Jesus and His birth in us when we become born again. That's a real word of encouragement that maybe also escapes us at times. We minimize comfort and joy.
S4: Yes, I think so, because especially when you think about Christmas, if we attach too much significance to that actual day, then and I think we mentioned this towards the end of the book, you know that when Christmas is over and the decorations are removed, unless we have found true comfort and true joy in the one of whom Christmas speaks, then of course, we've really got nothing left.
S5: Yeah.
S1: From Moody Radio. This is the land and the book. I'm John Gager. Our guest is a voice you almost certainly recognize. Pastor Alistair Begg heard on truth for life. Christmas in the Gospels is the focus of segment three. Obviously, we're familiar with the accounts in Matthew and Luke. Mark and John seem to take a pass, though, on covering the actual birth narrative. What's your best guess as to why they do that?
S4: Well, I think it's the awareness of what everybody else is doing that if you think about newspapers covering the same events and tackling them from different angles, then really that's what we find. You know, Matthew starts with this big, long list of names with a genealogy which may at first seem not very good. But then when we think about it, we're discovering the way in which God has been unfolding all the way through history. And the emphasis, for example, in Luke is all on that which is supernatural. And so you have this wonderful balance between this has come down through a normal lineage, if you like, but the supernatural dimension of it is made clear. That's why John begins actually back in eternity, in the beginning was the word, and the word was with God. And if someone says, well, I wonder how that all works if they go back to Matthew chapter one, and then they begin to read the genealogy, they realize the way the pieces of the jigsaw fit together. Yeah.
S5: Well, as.
S1: Familiar as I think we believe we are with the birth story in Matthew and Luke, we've read it a hundred times. Is there a detail or two, though, that sort of surfaced for you in a fresh new way as you, as you wrote the book, something maybe we've overlooked?
S4: Well, you know, I don't know because I'm so old now and I've had so many Christmases, I, I wish there was something that I had discovered that, that nobody else had had figured out. You know, I've never really, from childhood ever got over the notion of these wise men. You know, we've sort of created little models of them and so on, but they're enigmatic figures in many ways and where they actually came from, and all that is wrapped up in their notion of seeing a star. All of that stuff is quite fascinating. And then when you realize that in these supernatural, in these, if you like, almost extraterrestrial dimensions, God is also at work, so that the same God who has orchestrated the story of the genealogy is the one who controls the heavens and the earth, and so that people start from all kinds of places in discovering who Jesus is, including these wise men who may well have come from, you know, contemporary China, for all we know.
S1: Pastor Alistair Begg serves at Parkside Church near Cleveland, Ohio. He's written lots of books, is heard daily and weekly on truth for life. And we're talking today about his new devotional, Let Earth Receive Her King. If you'd like to get a copy. You'll find it online at truth for life.org/store. And the ministry is offering it to you at cost because they believe the message is that significant and I agree with them. We'll link you to their website when you visit ours. The land and the book. Org. Well, Christmas in the letters is your focus in section four of the book. You're referring here to the advent story in the rest of the New Testament. What are some takeaways for you and me here?
S4: Well, for a while in the UK, when I was a student, I worshipped in an Anglican church and in the use of the Book of Common Prayer in their section in advent, I was always struck by the fact that the verse that was always read on Christmas Day was Titus chapter two, verse 11, for the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men. And I think that that awareness of the if you like, when we read the Bible backwards, if you start back in the letters and you say to yourself, okay, the grace of God has appeared to all men, how is the grace of God appeared to all men? Well, then you go into Philippians and we have this picture of the incarnate God of God, emptying himself, stepping down into time. And as you go through all of that, you realize the vastness of God's purpose, that the reason that he came was in order to set us free from a captivity that we don't immediately acknowledge in ourselves. And he came to adopt us into his family, which is a wonderful thought, especially for people who are considering Christmas this year. And they're aware of the fact that they're alone or they don't have the family members that they once had, or perhaps they've never had a sense of family or of fatherhood. And so the story of Christmas for them, if it's all like bells and tinkles and joys and presents, may seem a rather empty thing. Yes. But then when they read it here, you know, for example, in Galatians that he came forth to adopt us into his family. It's a wonderful thought.
S1: Part five directs our focus toward awaiting a new advent. And some listeners might be saying, what do you mean? Fill us in here?
S4: Well, the king who came is the king who's coming. So that advent traditionally, if you like, I was going to say normal churches, but that wouldn't be the right thing to say. But I think people who have approached advent in light of the totality of Scripture, realize that it is a celebration which looks backwards to the King who came and which looks forward to the King who will come, and that the impact of the discovery of the king who came is to then propel us out into the world, to tell our friends and neighbors that there is a king who's going to come. And that, I think, is the great impetus when you get, for example, to the book of revelation. I think that's why people love it when they go to the orchestra and they they stand for the Hallelujah chorus. They may not actually know what it is they're celebrating, but what they're celebrating is the fact that the king is coming.
S1: Just joining us, we're talking with Pastor Alistair Begg about his Christmas devotional Let Earth Receive her King. They're offering to you. They're offering it to you at cost at their website, which we will link you to when you visit the land and the book. Org. Alistair, you write my prayer is that these advent devotions will cause you to wonder at all that God has done, and I think that's absolutely huge. I mean, there isn't a single syllable in the Christmas story that isn't drenched in wonder. Yet so often we approach it like an old yellowed newspaper. What is wrong with our wonder, Alistair?
S4: Well, I think what is wrong is that we start with ourselves almost inevitably, often in our worship. It's about who I am, how I'm feeling, and what I'm looking for, as opposed to beginning with God and His glory. The story of the gospel is not of us seeking God, but is of God coming to seek us. That the invisible boundary between ourselves and a holy God can only be crossed by God himself. And that's the wonder of it. And I and I think when we, you know, stand back far enough and think about the big, big picture, then we realize how wonderful it is that the most wonderful thing about Christmas Day is that the story of Christmas Day is true every day. Yes, that Immanuel is Immanuel, that he is actually the one that we need. And he promises his presence with us. And so, you know, when Christmas ends and the children go back to school and everything quotes returns to normal. Normal for the Christian in light of Christmas, is to enjoy the presence of the living Lord who came to Bethlehem as a King whose kingdom is being extended throughout the world all day and every day as the gospel is proclaimed. And one day that kingdom will come in triumph. And universally, and as we keep our eyes on that in the future, It gives us a perspective in the present.
S1: Wow, that's a great way to land this conversation. We're talking with Alistair Begg, his devotional, Let Earth Receive Her King available to you at cost when you visit their website, which will link you to at the Land and the book. Org. Thank you so much for this conversation. It's been very encouraging. Alistair.
S4: Well, thank you John.
S1: And we look forward to re-engaging with Charlie Dyer on our next segment here on the land and the book. Welcome back to the land and the book. I'm John Gager asking our host, Charlie Dyer, all your Christmas cards mailed out, all your Christmas gifts purchased and wrapped. Charlie.
S2: Uh, as much as I can. Yes.
S1: Now, that's a rather evasive answer. I'll just. I'll just give you the benefit of the doubt, though, and we'll just move right along here to another question As the end of the year approaches, many world events have left us wondering what God's plan is for the future, and this is especially true when it comes to Israel. Despite its small size, people around the world are just intensely focused on what takes place. There are today's headlines, though connected in any way with prophecies in the Bible. Are we getting that close? How should followers of Jesus interpret current events as we await his second coming?
S2: And to help answer those important questions, our friends at Life and Messiah encourage you to check out their book, God, Israel, and Bible Prophecy with Scripture as its foundation. This book will take you on a journey into what God has in store for the Jewish people and the nations. The book is for anyone who wants to explore where modern day events fit on God's grand timeline. Now, if that's you or someone you know, this would be a great resource or gift and perhaps a Christmas gift as we were just talking about. Well, visit Life in Messiah. Org and click on the Moody Radio button there to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: All right, let's get right into the essence of segment three questions and answers, starting with this one from Mark, who says, I understand what it means for God to bless us, but I am not as clear about what it means for us to bless God. And he takes us to Psalm 19 that says, I will bless the Lord who gives me counsel. Can you clarify what it means to bless the Lord?
S2: Well, I'll start with this reality. The Hebrew word for bless, Barak, comes from the word for knee barak. The initial meaning of this verb bless is to kneel. When God blesses us. It's as if we're kneeling before the sovereign who reaches out to extend his favor to us. But when we bless God, the images of us kneeling down before him to offer our recognition and praise and adoration for all God has done. Psalm 103 is what comes to mind when I think of this. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me. Bless his holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits. Then, in verses 3 to 5, David lists five gracious acts God has done for us that should cause us to offer such praise and adoration. He ends the psalm by announcing that God has established his throne in the heavens, and his sovereignty rules over all. As a result, David calls on the angels to bless the Lord in the sense of offering praise and worship to God for his sovereign rule. And then he calls on the works of creation itself to bless the Lord. And he finally ends as he began by calling on his own soul to bless the Lord. Now take all that together. I think the idea of blessing God is praising, adoring, and worshiping him for who he is and for what he's done, especially what he's done for us.
S1: Question number two from Jackie. We're studying Ruth and also reading Deuteronomy 25 as background information. And this all spurred the following questions. Does anything happen to the brother or kinsman redeemer who refuses to wed the widow, and if he does refuse, is the widow, then free to marry somebody else.
S2: Yeah, if he's the only available kinsman redeemer, the shaming in Deuteronomy 25 evidently would take place. Now, we're not told what would happen if the man refuses, but another eligible kinsman redeemer takes his place. I'm assuming he might be spared the public humiliation of Deuteronomy 25, but everyone at the time would still know he had refused to fulfill his obligation. It's interesting that the one who refuses is given a new name, and the name literally is House of the Removed Sandal. In terms of being free to marry someone else, Deuteronomy 25 five says the widow must not marry outside the family. Now that's a direct prohibition, and it isn't conditioned on whether a potential kinsman redeemer might or might not be there or do something. So I take it she was expected to remain single unless and until someone in the extended family was able and willing to fulfill the role. And with large families, I suspect there would have been a number of potential candidates as they moved down the line.
S1: Here's an interesting question based in Luke ten. When Jesus sent out the 72, he instructed, say to them, The kingdom of God has come near to you. Well, of course it had. This writer says, Through Jesus, the Son of God, our Messiah. But wasn't it later that Jesus revealed himself as the Son of God and Messiah? So how would they explain that the kingdom of God has come near to you?
S2: Well, I see Jesus presenting Himself as Messiah and the Son of God. Actually, prior to Luke ten, his phrase Son of Man is a messianic phrase that comes from Daniel chapter seven, where one like a son of man, comes with the clouds of heaven. Jesus heals the paralytic to show them. He says in Luke five that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins. In the next chapter, Jesus announced that the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath in chapter six, verse five. In response to the question from John the Baptist in Luke seven, Jesus tells John's disciples to report back and tell John what they had seen and heard from him. And then he quotes Isaiah 35, which describes the miraculous deeds that will take place when God comes to deliver his people. Once John's disciples leave, Jesus quotes Malachi three one and says, it refers to John. Well, that passage describes the messenger who's going to come to prepare the way for the Messiah. And then suddenly the Lord you are seeking it says, will come to his temple, the messenger of the covenant whom you desire will come. Finally, after sending out the 12, Jesus gathers him and asks them who the crowds were saying he was. He then asks who they thought he was. Peter responded by saying Jesus was the Christ that is the Messiah of God. That's Luke 920. So it seems clear that even though most of the people might not have understood Jesus through his words, actions, and miracles was fulfilling what the Old Testament prophets said would take place in the days of the Messiah and the arrival of his kingdom. So in Luke ten nine, then when he tells the 72 to announce that the kingdom of God is near you, I believe the expectation is that they should have understood and responded since he was on his way through these villages heading to Jerusalem.
S1: Thank you for being a part of the land and the book. Segment three Questions and Answers Mary takes us to a friend who suffers from muscular dystrophy. Wondering about what it's like when one goes to be with the Lord. He asks if it's being born again. And this is not a reference necessarily to Bible doctrine, rather, the fact that he knows he won't have his physical earthly body. Making him wonder what form he will take in heaven.
S2: Yeah, and we don't have the full answer to those questions, but we do know enough to have a good basic idea of what it'll be like for believers when we receive our resurrection bodies. Revelation 20 says, those who are martyred by being beheaded will come to life and reign with Christ. For that to happen, their new resurrection bodies will need to be restored to wholeness. The final two chapters of revelation also tell us there will be no more night, no more curse, no tears, no mourning, no crying, no pain. In first Corinthians 15, Paul describes the resurrection body this way. He says it'll be with the resurrection body. The body that is sown is perishable, it's raised imperishable. It's sown in dishonor. It's raised in glory. It's sown in weakness. It's raised in power. It's sown a natural body, it's raised a spiritual body. And then in verse 49 he says, and just as we have borne the likeness of the earthly man, so we shall bear the likeness of the man from heaven. And finally, in first John three two, John wrote, dear friends, now we are children of God. And and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.
S1: Sadie has a bunch of questions about Romans 11. Paul uses the language of beloved for the sake of their fathers. Does this mean beloved for the sake of the covenants? And if so, is this some kind of favoritism? And does God have feelings? Or is this sort of a poetic way of saying the covenant must be fulfilled in this way as well, not only to the church, but also in this other way also? Is Romans written to a pagan audience? And is this kind of saying don't be racist?
S2: Well, Romans was actually written to both Jews and Gentiles, and let me try to answer the rest of the questions this way. First, when Paul says Israel is beloved on account of the patriarchs, I believe the next verse supplies the answer. Israel had a special place before God, because God's gifts to and call of the patriarchs Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. So in that sense, it's not all the Old Testament covenants, but the Abrahamic covenant that I believe Paul has in view. In Genesis 12, God called Abraham. And as the covenant develops in future chapters, it includes the Promised Land, the Promised Seed, and a promise that the world would be blessed through Abraham and his descendants. Paul's arguing that there's a future for Israel, because God's gifts to and call of Israel's patriarchs was irrevocable. Now for the other part of your question, God does have emotions, but we need to be careful not to reduce God merely to a divine parallel to our emotions. We do know that love is one of God's attributes. In Jeremiah 31 three, God said to Israel, I've loved you with an everlasting love. And in the same way John 316 reminds us, God so loved the world, he gave his one and only son as part of his plan for redemption. So I don't see this as favoritism, since the offer to Israel was to all, even though only a remnant responded, and in the same way, Christ's death was sufficient for all, even though not all choose to accept it. I wouldn't say Paul's letter to the Romans was written to pagans, since in one seven he says he's writing to all in Rome who are loved by God and are called to be saints.
S1: Got time for just one more regarding King Solomon's rule over the surrounding nations? What was the justification? Was it basically conquer or be conquered, or was it just an unjust conquest?
S2: Well, this answer is just a little bit complex, but some of the nations over which Solomon ruled had been captured by his father, David, and a number of them were captured in response to their own actions of the Philistines, the Arameans, the ammonites, the Edomites, the Moabites. They were historic enemies of Israel, and they attacked Israel. And we can read about that in the book of Judges and in the first part of Samuel? So in that sense, I don't see Israel's control over them as being unjust. And when it came to King Solomon, some of his connections to other nations are based on common interests. For example, he entered into a joint venture with tyre that involved using their sailors to man ships. Solomon had built Solomon, and the Queen of Sheba apparently developed a trade relationship, and Solomon collected tribute and taxes from surrounding nations, which also likely received goods or services in return from him.
S1: Whether you've got a question or a comment, we'd love to hear from you. Email us at. The land and the book@moody.edu. Let us know how the program is connecting with you at the land and the book@moody.edu. We're not done yet. Charlie's devotional is coming up right here on the land. And the book. Depression. It's a real thing affecting many, many people. This is the land and the book I'm John Geiger. Welcome back to segment four, our devotional, Charlie Depression. Our focus in your devotional coming up.
S2: That's right. And God's solution for.
S1: Depression I love it. We're not going to just stay negative. We're going to talk about what God says. All right. Before we get to that, though, let's pause for this Holy Land experience testimony. I love hearing how God impacts people as they travel to the Holy Land.
S6: Hello! I went to Israel a few years back and didn't have any expectations, but as we went through the places that Jesus walked and where he lived and ministered, we just felt the presence of the Lord so strongly, and it was a place that we could actually begin to connect with him in such a personal way, because we were in the same place that he did these things. The exciting thing was, um, especially the via de la Delarosa because it was just so emotion packed and then going to the Sea of Galilee. And that's where the Lord just spoke to me and began to reveal himself to me in such a personal way that he loves me, and I just could not get enough of him. I have desired to go back ever since, and I think it just touched me personally so much. And my walk with Christ, I did not come back the same and have not been since.
S1: Second Timothy chapter four is where we're headed for today's devotional. And with that, Charlie, I'll turn it over to you.
S2: Well, thanks, John. Those of us in the northern hemisphere are coming up on the shortest day of the year. In another week, the Earth's pole reaches its maximum tilt away from the sun. Of course, those in the southern hemisphere are approaching their longest day of the year. They bask in the sunshine while we struggle through the long, dark nights. This is the time of year when many in the Northern hemisphere struggle with sad seasonal affective disorder, the shorter days and less daylight triggers a chemical reaction in the brain that can actually lead to symptoms of depression. Treating depression has become big business for drug companies. I'm amazed by the number of commercials on television for various antidepressant drugs. It's also somewhat disconcerting when those commercials then list all the possible side effects like decreased alertness, diabetes, or suicidal feelings. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not speaking against such drugs or those who take them. For many taking antidepressants, the drugs have proved to be a great help to enable a person to feel as if he or she has returned to the land of the living emotionally. But imagine what it was like before such drugs existed. How was someone able to face those anxious, dark times of life without selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors? For the answer, I want us to visit someone who faced just such a time before introducing him. Let me tell you a little bit about him. He's in prison, Facing execution. No television, no books, no reading material. Not even a warm coat to fight back against the growing chill in his unheated prison cell. As the autumn days grow short and cold, most of his former friends have deserted him. At his trial, no one even showed up as a character witness in his defense. He's alone, facing a bleak, uncertain future and with nothing to distract him from what he knows will soon happen once his execution date is finally set. Sound depressing? Well, the men were visiting with is the Apostle Paul, and even as he sits in this dank, dark prison facing death, Paul is anything but depressed. Let's visit with him to see what he discovered about God's solution for depression. The first thing we learn about Paul is that he hasn't retreated into some fantasy world where he spends his time dreaming about a miraculous escape. He fully understands the reality he's facing. I am already being poured out like a drink offering and the time has come for my departure. Paul clearly realizes that his physical life here on earth is about to end, but he is able to put his impending death in perspective by focusing on the reality of life beyond death. I have fought the good fight. I have finished the race. I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. As the old expression goes, some people are so heavenly minded that there are no earthly good, but others are so focused on living in the here and now that they're absolutely unprepared when they suddenly come face to face with the reality of their impending death. Paul stayed balanced by keeping his feet firmly planted in both realities. While he was here on Earth, he kept moving forward. He tackled life like a honed athlete, fighting the good fight, Running the race until finally crossing the finish line. But at the same time, Paul lifted his gaze to remember that this life isn't all there is to life. There's a life to come. And that reality allowed Paul to face the struggles in this life, including his own impending death. A second way Paul was able to keep from becoming depressed was to focus on his friends. He wrote to Timothy saying, do your best to come to me quickly. After describing those who had deserted him, Paul quickly adds, Only Luke is with me. But don't miss the point. Luke was still there and he encourages Timothy to get Mark and bring him with you, because he's very helpful to me in my ministry. Paul wants to be surrounded by his trusted circle of friends, not simply to offer emotional support, as important as that was, but also to help advance the ministry. The end of the race might have been in sight, but Paul was still moving forward and these friends could help. Paul also kept from being depressed by addressing both his physical and spiritual needs. Winter was on the way, and the cold and damp conditions in the prison could wear on Paul physically. His solution? In his letter to Timothy, he writes when you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas. That tiny addition to second Timothy four is a reminder that Paul understood the importance of taking care of his own physical needs, but his spiritual needs were just as important. The next request was for Timothy to bring my scrolls, especially the parchments. We're not told the specific content of those scrolls and parchments, but it seems almost certain that they were his collection of God's Word. The Bible wasn't a single bound book as we know it today. Individual books or sections of the Bible were copied by hand on parchment scrolls. Paul wanted to have God's Word close by to receive the spiritual comfort it offered. Finally, Paul was able to keep from being depressed by dealing biblically with the negative stresses and traumas of life. He recounted that at my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. But rather than dwelling on this, Paul chose to forgive. May it not be held against them, he wrote. There were evil men who actively sought to harm Paul during his imprisonment and trial. Alexander, the metalworker did me a great deal of harm. But rather than allowing bitter or vengeful thoughts to eat away at him emotionally, Paul turned the entire matter over to the Lord. The Lord will repay him for what he has done. But while that sounds good in theory, how did Paul forgive friends who hurt him or enemies who actively attacked him? Paul did so by having a clear understanding of the person and work of Christ. Friends might have deserted him, but the Lord stood by my side and gave me strength. Enemies sought to harm him, but the Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. Paul wasn't alone, nor was he defenseless. Instead of obsessing on his problems, he focused with laser like intensity on the person and power of the god he served. In fact, instead of becoming depressed, Paul ended with a doxology to him be glory for ever and ever. Amen. But how are you doing today? We all face stresses and struggles in life. You might be struggling with depression or simply with sadness and heartache. You might be taking antidepressant medication or trying to cope on your own, but whatever your circumstances, let's head home from our visit with the Apostle Paul with another arsenal to help us face life's struggles. Face life head on, but do so while remembering that this life isn't all there is to life. Death isn't the end. It's only a transition from here to eternity. Connect with your circle of friends to gain their emotional support. And if you don't have any friends, find a group at your church where you can fellowship. Eat right. Don't allow yourself to become run down physically. Spend time reading God's Word and don't allow thoughts of anger, revenge, or betrayal to eat away at your soul. Instead, hand the matter over to God while you forgive those who failed you, and finally, pull out your Bible and read second Timothy four. Here are the Apostle Paul's final practical words to you on how to face whatever life throws your way.
S1: It's such an encouragement. This life isn't all there is to life. Thank you, Charlie for that devotional. Thanks for hanging out with us today at The Land and the book. Hope you enjoyed the program. Love to hear from you. Our email address is The Land and the book@moody.edu. That's the land and the book@moody.edu. Want to say thanks to Charlie Dyer? To Dan Anderson? I'm John Gager, and thank you to this station for creating space for the land and the book. A production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.