S1: What's your unique purpose? There's no better place to understand your calling than by studying the life of Esther, who lived out her purpose with conviction and faith. Coming up, special guest Dannah Gresh has an encouraging word for you as you join us for this week's edition of The Land and the book, a welcome to our weekly flyover of the Middle East. Our pilot is Doctor Charlie Dyer, and I'm John Gager strapped in right next to him. Charlie. Last week we launched one of our famous book blasts. Five books were giving away, and it looks like Angela from Grand Rapids is our winner. Tell me, what did she have to say in her email? Charlie? Yeah, she.
S2: Wrote. I love listening to the land in the book. I especially enjoy and grow from hearing how modern day events are connected to the Bible. The land in the book is very informative and I feel like I gain knowledge each time I listen.
S1: Well, that's a neat note from Angela. Congratulations. And those books are headed out to you. And if you didn't win this time, well, you'll have an opportunity in the near future, I promise. And thank you, by the way, for writing to let us know how the land and the book connects with you. Well, Charlie, as the end of the year approaches, many world events have left us wondering what God's plan is for the future, especially when it comes to Israel. Despite its small size, boy, people around the world are focused, right? There are today's headlines connected in any way with the prophecies in the Bible. How should followers of Jesus interpret current events as we await his second coming?
S2: Well, to help answer those crucial questions, our friends at Life and Messiah urge you to check out their book, God, Israel, and Bible Prophecy with Scripture as its foundation. This book will take you on a journey into what God has in store for the Jewish people and the nations. The book is for anyone who wants to explore where modern day events fit on God's grand timeline. And if that's you or someone you know, this would be a great resource or gift. Visit Life in Messiah org and click on the Moody Radio button to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: Well, our elections are now in the rear view mirror, but the results are just starting to be felt in the Middle East as we open up this current events segment. Charlie, what impact could this election of President Trump have on Israel's conflicts with Hamas, Hezbollah and Iran?
S2: Well, in one sense, President Trump can't do anything for the next two months until he's inaugurated in January. But his influence is already being felt in both Israel and Iran. And I think it will eventually be the other countries there in the Middle East. The US Department of Justice charged Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps with a plot to kill Trump back in September. Iran has denied the accusation, but this immediately put Iran on notice. The Biden administration said any attempt to harm Trump would be considered an act of war on the part of Iran. When Trump was president, before he scuttled the nuclear agreement with Iran, reimposed economic sanctions and ordered a drone strike that killed Iranian Guard Corps leader Soleimani. Look for Trump to exert more pressure on Iran economically, politically and militarily when he takes office. This is already causing concern in Tehran. In fact, the value of their rial is dropping since he's been elected. Trump has voiced strong support for Israel, and he's backing up his verbal support by naming strong supporters of Israel to his cabinet. The impact of the election extends beyond just Israel and Iran. In response to pressure from the U.S., Qatar has supposedly agreed to oust Hamas's political leadership from their country, though this is still uncertain. What they have said is that they'll cease trying to mediate a hostage deal between Israel and Hamas. Many look for Trump to try to re-energize the Abraham Accords, pushing for a deal between Israel and Saudi Arabia. Trump comes into office with past experience and with fresh ideas on how to move forward. The man who finally moved the US Embassy to Jerusalem is certain to have other surprises up his sleeve come January. Certainly, nominating Mike Huckabee as US ambassador to Israel is just one of those surprises.
S1: Well, in spite of the change in Washington, Russia's President Putin is still pushing forward with his own vision for a new Middle East. How could that plan unfold?
S2: It could unfold as part of Putin's larger strategy to develop a new world order to counter the West. Trump's election will cause some concern, though it won't change Putin's fundamental goals. In fact, it might provide a way for him to end the war in Ukraine while holding on to some of his gains. But in terms of his larger vision, Putin wants to expand BRICs. That's the alliance of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa to include other countries willing to join this non-Western bloc of states. A major part of the alliance will be economic, providing access to trade and goods to countries restricted in some manner by the West. This week, Russia and Iran linked their banking systems to overcome Western sanctions, and they plan to expand their system to other countries as well. But Putin is looking beyond just economic cooperation to include defense cooperation. Russia is preparing to sign a comprehensive treaty with Iran that will include closer defense ties. Iran and North Korea have been providing Russia with drones and shells for its war in Ukraine, and now North Korea is sending troops to bolster Russia's forces there. In return, Russia is supplying North Korea with food aid and both North Korea and Iran with technology. Lurking on the edge of all this is Turkey. They're connected to the West through NATO and through trade. But Turkey also shares common interests in the Middle East with both Russia and Iran. Now, watch to see if Turkey can put aside some very real differences to align with Russia and Iran and other countries, and watch to see if the United States puts pressure on Turkey to choose between supporting NATO or supporting Russia and Iran and Hamas.
S1: Interesting. And I also noted that President Erdogan, you know, offered a call of congratulations to President Trump, maybe merely symbolic, but that was an interesting gesture. I thought it.
S2: Was. And yet, at the same week, he also broke off, he said, ties with Israel. So he's trying to play both sides. And that gap is going to continue getting wider and wider for him.
S1: You're listening to a current events segment as we open up here on the land and the book. Our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer. Middle East expert, I'm John Gager. Well, the attacks by Iran and her proxies against Israel have included missiles, rockets and drones as Israel's high tech defenses continue to evolve to face these attacks. What lessons can the West learn from Israel's response?
S2: Yeah, we all know about the success of Israel's Iron Dome system, and the current conflict also showcased the success of its longer range systems like David's Sling and the arrow system, which have. Taken down longer range ballistic missiles, but Iran and its proxies developed. Tactics to test the limitations of all these systems. And they did find some weaknesses. One weakness is cost. The cost to shoot down rockets and missiles is high. And. Israel has experienced times when its supply of interceptors has dwindled. It costs far less to produce the drones and rockets than it does for Israel to. Defend against them. And they've also been able to overwhelm Israel's defenses by. Launching scores of rockets simultaneously, allowing some to make it through. Drones have proven to be even more effective. Israel has had less success locating in shooting down drones since they fly so close to the ground, evading radar. The drone that hit the Prime Minister's home in Caesarea is just one example. More soldiers have been killed by drones than by rockets. So what are some of the lessons Israel has learned? Well, they learned they need to have a system that uses more than just radar to detect drones. They're now developing a system that uses wireless technology, deep signal processing, and machine learning to detect and intercept them. They've also learned not to focus on just the missiles and drones, but the infrastructure behind them. They destroyed the factories in Iran, making the solid rocket propellant for missiles in Lebanon. They focused on the drone operators firing positions, assembly sites, underground bases and storage centers. Now, this required solid intelligence gathering. Finally, they learned to push for new, lower cost defensive alternatives. They hope to have their ion beam system up and running next year, as well as what they're calling the Light Beam Short Range Laser system to protect vehicles from drones and mortars. The operational cost for these new systems will actually be less than the cost of the drones used by the enemy. The key lessons in all this for the West are these don't depend on just expensive high tech systems. develop a multi-layered defense and be prepared to respond to changing tactics, and look for ways to leverage technology to make it all as low cost and cost effective as possible.
S1: Well, it sounds like good wisdom to me. Samaritan's purse continues to offer practical ministry help to the people of Israel. Describe the impact that Franklin Graham and his organization have had on Israel over the past year. Yeah.
S2: When Israel was attacked on October 7th, two results immediately became apparent here in the U.S. the first was the rise in anti-Semitism. Israel was shocked to see the hatred and hostility that spread across our country. The second result was the willingness of evangelical Christians to take a stand for Israel and come to her aid in her hour of need. One of the greatest examples of this was Franklin Graham and Samaritan's Purse. Within days, they sent an advance team to see what they could do to offer practical help. You know, when we were there back in March, we met with two of those team leaders, including one who's a graduate of Moody Bible Institute. Samaritan's purse quickly seized on the need to replace the ambulances that were destroyed on October 7th. We were there just a few weeks after Samaritan's Purse dedicated the 14 fully equipped ambulances they had sent. They've since committed to provide an additional 28 armored ambulances, which are now starting to arrive. Those are better prepared to operate in areas like the border communities that have been attacked. Samaritan's purse also committed to establish two new ambulance centers near the border with both Gaza and Lebanon. Two realities emerge from all these donations. The first is that Israel recognizes that evangelical believers do care for them. The second is that Samaritan's Purse is working with both Jewish and Arab believers while they're there. These practical displays of love and support have opened doors for local believers there to share their faith in very practical ways.
S1: Thank you Charlie. Well, a full program today. Coming up, a conversation with Dana Gresh about the life of Esther. Then it's Bible questions and answers and Charlie's devotional, so don't miss any of it. As you stay with us here for Moody Radio's The Land and the book. What's your unique purpose? I mean, you weren't exactly born with an instruction tag, right? But if you're a Christian, the Bible offers an entire book of instructions. And there's no better place to understand your calling than by studying the life of Esther, who lived out her purpose pretty well. This is the land and the book. I'm John Gager, and before we join our special guest, Dannah Gresh, let's focus our thoughts for a moment on being more effective in loving our Jewish friends and neighbors for Christ. Sometimes you and I are reluctant to engage a Jewish friend in conversation, because we presume that they know more about the Bible than us. Should we think that way? And if we do, are we right or wrong? Gregg Savitt, your thoughts?
S3: Well, that's a common misconception that Jewish people are people of the book. People that know the New Testament and love Jesus. There's over 880 allusions to the Old Testament and 250 direct quotations. So Christian, just by their faith in the New Testament, know so much more about the Old Testament than Jewish people. Jon, I can't tell you how many hundreds of times Gentiles have told me that when they witness to their Jewish friends who are not believers, they say, you know so much more about my Bible, about Jewish holidays than I do. How can you do that? And, you know, Paul talks about making somebody being jealous. You know, and I think that's highly a Jewish thing, is that you know their religion better than they do.
S1: That's Gregg Savitt, who serves with Rock of Israel Ministries joining us on the land and the book Dannah Gresh is a best selling author and the founder of True Girl, a ministry just for tween girls and their moms. One of Dana's latest books in the True Girls series is Esther Becoming a Girl of Purpose from Moody Publishers. Hey, welcome back to the land and the book, Dana.
S4: Oh, I'm so thrilled to be back. Thanks for having me.
S1: You know, I got to say, right off the bat, it's a shame. This is just radio. No pictures. Because I love, really love the colorful design of the pages in this book, generously splashed with images and illustrations. It seems to me, in a visually oriented culture like ours, that communicates something to kids these days. Something good. Your thoughts?
S4: Yeah, that's really important. You know, with the attention span that they have, um, they need that. And when we started designing things for True Girl, we went to the bookstore and we said, who is attracting these girls. And it was the American girls line, and they just set the standard for how things look. And yet they don't always have content that leads you to biblical truth. Right. And so we wanted to create something that would sit on a shelf in a bookstore next to an American Girl product and compete visually and quality wise, but attract them because there is biblical truth in it. So that's really important to us, and we're proud of that.
S1: All right. Beyond the obvious visual appeal, we crack open the book itself. And there you write. God's story and purpose isn't complete yet, and it's continuing with you. It seems to me that's a message that every girl and boy and adult needs to hear. How would we live differently if we really believed that, Dana?
S4: Mhm. We would definitely live differently. You know, Esther was a girl who didn't live for her own Satisfaction. I mean, we're reading a story about a teen girl who gets taken away. She is trafficked, essentially, and yet she walks with dignity and grace on the pages of Scripture and fulfills the purpose of God's big plan. When she went before King Xerxes and risked her life. She was laying her life down for the bigger plan of God's purpose and will. And that's what we exist for. We exist to glorify him, to serve him, to enjoy him, and to be enjoyed by him. And she gets that. Esther got that. And I am so excited about taking tween girls and their moms into the pages of Esther to have new eyes, to see how that might work in our lives.
S1: You outline your Bible study around four z words, and though you've intended this for kids, I think we adults could benefit from these as well. Let's look at each one, starting with zoom in. What do you intend for us at this stage, Dana?
S5: It.
S4: Yeah. The four Z method of Bible study. This is a true girl signature, but not really because it's just a simplified, inductive Bible study method. But it's a whole lot more graspable for the 8 to 12 year old mind when we say, hey, you got to zoom in, you got to zoom out, you got to zero in, you got to zip it up. And they remember that. So zooming in this is zooming into the details, the particulars. Like, you know, this morning I was meditating on Psalm 92 verse 12. And the word flourished really stuck out to me. So I was like, what does flourish mean? Let's look at what the Hebrew word for flourish was, and then let's look at the dictionary. What does the dictionary say about this word and stuff like that. So that's really just becoming familiar with maybe one word or maybe one character. So maybe just getting to know who was Mordecai. What would we know about Jewish men in that day and age? What would we know about Jewish men living in that time, living in that city in that day and age? And you just really take one word and you become super familiar with it. And that's a whole lot easier if you zoom out. So that's the second you can zoom in or zoom out first. But zooming out then is like, okay, the city of Susa, what do we know? Well, we know that being Jewish in that day and age was a great risk. It's much like being Jewish or being a believer in the Middle East is today. It's a great risk to be a Christian in Iran, where Susa would have been. It's a great recipe. Jewish in Iran, where Susa would have been. And so you start to get the broad view of the stuff that I'm reading have to do. And when you do those two things, you start to really understand something about the Scripture, at least for that time and that area. So zoom in, zoom out, and then zero in. Now we're starting to say, what does this mean for me today? So when a little girl learns that Esther is not considering her own life, but she's laying it down. We can go to Scripture that teaches us in the New Testament that we're supposed to be laying our lives down for others, to that we're supposed to be emulating the sacrificial life of Christ and then zip it up. That's what we do. We talk to God in prayer. We zip all of our zooming and zeroing up in prayer to God. And we say, Lord, help me to live like Esther. Help me to live not full of and consumed by my own passions and my own wills. But what is your will for my life? And what do you want me to do for such a time as this, in this culture? So that's the Fawzi method of Bible study.
S1: Pretty simple if you just dropped into our conversation. Our guest today on the land and the book is Dannah Gresh. We're exploring the life of Esther as we hit the highlights in her new Moody Publishers book. You write that nothing and no one can stop God's purpose for your life. Well, that is so empowering. Where do you think that message ought to land with girls who are reading this book. And what's your hope there?
S4: Well, so this is a really big piece of the book of Esther, right? Because we have Haman, the bad guy, coming into the picture, and he is determined to wipe out the Jewish people, which wouldn't be the first or last time that somebody wanted to wipe out the special chosen people of God. But where Esther, the protagonist, is in an impossible situation where there's absolutely there are laws on the books to where Xerxes giving Haman that permission can't be overridden like it is impossible. Nothing could possibly save the Jewish people. And yet the Jewish people are saved. King Xerxes thinks of a loophole and he says, you know, we're going to do it this way. And in doing so, he allows the Jewish people to rise up to protect themselves. And he can't override the decree he's already signed. But because of Esther's courage and because she stepped into the plan and the purpose that God appointed her to. He is able to override that law and the Jewish people instead of looking back with mourning and like we do on nine over 11, instead of looking back on what Sousa could have meant had Haman been successful, they throw a party called Purim, which is a party that's still celebrated today. They still make these triangular shaped, jelly filled cookies that Jewish families grow up loving. But they have meaning in those cookies. Those cookies have purpose because they're reminding them God delivered us when it looked like we could not be saved. He used Queen Esther to keep the Jewish line alive and well. And it's just a beautiful reminder to all of us that when everything looks dark, despondent, and hopeless, our circumstances don't get the last say. God gets the last say in our lives. His plan cannot be thwarted.
S1: So, Dana, what is the most important idea that you want girls to hang on to once they've studied the life of Esther?
S4: That God will invite them into his purpose and plan. And that's kind of what happened to Esther. I'm burdened right now that we really are seeing such complacency in young adults and teenagers in terms of meaning and purpose. You know, we really are seeing them not being called to rise up to something beyond themselves, but they want to do kind of what they feel like doing and not necessarily hard things. And yet in the book of Esther, we see Esther being invited by God into his big plan and sacrificially serving in that spot. And so I guess for those times when your teenage daughter or your college daughter or your young adult daughter doesn't have an Etsy page that is exploding, or she isn't an influencer on social media or all these other things she's comparing yourself to. And she's like, I don't know. I'm not doing big things, so maybe I don't have a purpose. That's not true. That's a lie from the pit of hell. God has created her with purpose. It is to glorify him and to enjoy him forever. And he is going to invite her into that purpose in the perfect time and the perfect way, in a way that honors and glorifies him. And she is going to enjoy it, and she is going to love it.
S1: That's Dannah Gresh, who is a bestselling author and the founder of True Girl, a ministry just for tween girls and their moms. It's an honor to have her with us today on the land and the book. I'm curious, any reaction to this series so far? Or maybe this book in particular, the True Girl series?
S4: Oh, moms love it. We actually have an online Bible study we do every fall based on one character of the Bible, Miriam. Ruth. This fall, it's Esther. It starts in two weeks. You can learn about that at my gurl.com. And moms can really just take girls through this Bible study on their own, or they can join us for that online Bible study. And we kind of facilitated to make it fun for them. They get to interact with some of the other girls around the nation and the world who are learning the Fawzi method of Bible study. We have thousands of moms go through these studies with us every year, and what we hear is two things. One is girls discover that the Lord really does speak to them through Scripture, not through their pastor, not through their Sunday school teacher, not through a Bible teacher, or not even their parents. The Lord speaks to them through the scriptures when they learn the Fawzi method of Bible study. And the other thing I love hearing this is so cool is that when moms take our Bible studies, especially our online version, they say, oh, this is amazing, but I've been in my Bible. I've been reading it, but I wasn't studying it. Even learning this Fawzi method of Bible study, I am seeing scripture with new eyes and I think I'm handling it with more accuracy. So we love hearing that. We love hearing that there's growth in these girls and growth in the moms, too. As we study God's Word together.
S1: Hey, what's one aspect of the character of Esther that maybe you never really saw before you created this Bible study? Anything that caught you by surprise? Dana.
S4: Okay, so it's not even a biblical thing, but it's super. It's an archaeological thing. And I think you geek out on archaeology. So can we geek out?
S6: Go for it.
S4: Way back in the 1800s, some French archaeologists did some serious digging in Iran, and they uncovered the ancient city of Susa. It is one of the few places in the world where we can go and stand in the exact spot where Esther would have been risking her life, and Xerxes extended the scepter to her, the exact spot where Queen Vashti was banished. Because we know where the ballroom was, we know the spot where Mordecai stood. And what's really interesting to me is not only do we have this archaeological dig. But the Book of Esther, it's almost like God knew. You're going to find this place one day, and I want you to be sure that this is it. So the book of Esther gives so many details, like that Queen Esther stepped out of her chamber and turned, and she went into the King's chamber. Well, when we dug up Susa, we found the. Would have been the Harem's chamber, the concubines chamber. And there was a private throne room that the king had for like closer extended family and friends, not the big throne room, which would have been in the palace. And the Book of Esther just describes exactly how she would have stepped out of it, stood and turned. And there she is. So it gives me chills. And it's not that we need archaeology to prove the Bible, but every now and then we have these wonderful glimpses of this book can be trusted because we dug this place up, and it's laid out exactly as described in the Book of Esther. That just gives me chills.
S1: I love it, I love it too, and I really appreciate you bringing those details to our attention. I had no idea. Hey, if you're a parent, you're a grandparent. You got tween girls in your life. You need this book. Esther becoming a girl of purpose. It's in the True Girls series from Dannah Gresh and Moody Publishers. A link is at our website. The land and the book. Org. Dana, thank you as always for your time. Appreciate your insights.
S7: My pleasure. Thanks for having me.
S1: All right. Looking forward to Charlie Dyer rejoining us at the microphone for his answers to your Bible questions next. Hope you're having a great day. This is the land and the book from Moody Radio. I'm John Gager, our host, as always, the cheery Charlie Dyer. He's got his Bible open. Why, Charlie? Why is that Bible open?
S2: Uh, because people have questions about the Bible. And when they have questions, we want to have answers.
S1: That's right. Well, here's a thought to process as the end of this year approaches, many world events have left us wondering what God's plan is for the future, and this is especially true when it comes to Israel. Despite its small size, people around the world are intensely focused on what takes place there. So are today's headlines somehow connected with prophecies in the Bible? How should followers of Jesus interpret current events as we await his second coming? Charlie.
S2: Well, that's a great question. And to help provide answers to that question, our friends at Life and Messiah encourage you to check out their book, God, Israel, and Bible Prophecy with Scripture as its foundation. This book will take you on a journey into what God has in store for the Jewish people and the nations. The book is for anyone who wants to explore where modern day events fit on God's grand timeline. If that's you or someone you know, this would be a great resource or gift. Visit Life in Messiah org and click on the Moody Radio button to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: All right. Question number one for today comes from Todd. He says, can you provide any insight on Jeremiah 12 verse two? Charlie, I know you love the prophet Jeremiah.
S2: Oh, I do, and I see Jeremiah 12 in light of what took place, actually in the first 11 chapters, in chapters 1 to 10. Jeremiah's basic message was repent or else. Chapter 11 then parallels the revival under King Josiah in second Kings 22 and 23, the book of the law was discovered in the temple. Josiah held a public covenant renewal ceremony. Now to Jeremiah, it looked as if his years of ministry to that point were finally starting to pay off, as he now called on the people to listen to the words of this covenant. But then in chapter 11, verses 18 to 21, he was confronted with the reality that the people weren't going to repent. Instead, they planned to kill him. And all of that then leads to Jeremiah's realization and his complaint to God in chapter 12. In fact, Jeremiah began by bringing a court case against God, and he specifically focused on God's justice or from Jeremiah's perspective, God's apparent lack of justice. He asks in verse one why the way of the wicked seems to prosper. And then here comes that verse in verse two without waiting for God to answer, Jeremiah supplies what looks to him like the obvious answer it's God's fault. He says, you planted them and they've taken root. In other words, Jeremiah is accusing God of mismanagement from his perspective. God's listening to the words these people are speaking and overlooking their evil character. In verse three, Jeremiah tells God what he ought to be doing. In such cases, he says, drag him off like sheep to be butchered. Jeremiah, in effect, rests his case by calling on God to judge the wicked people who threaten to kill him. It's as if Jeremiah is viewing God as his own personal attack dog, and he finally says to God, sic em! Now some are shocked when they read that, but actually, I personally find it incredibly refreshing because it shows Jeremiah was just like us in his personal struggles and as he's so open and honest with God. Well, God responds the same way to him. God's answer is in chapter 12, and it's classic. He says, if you're raised with men on foot and they've worn you out, how are you? Compete with horses. If you stumble in safe country, how will you manage in the thickets by the Jordan? In other words, he says, hey Jeremiah, I never said it was going to be easy. In fact, in chapter one, when he called him, he already told Jeremiah how tough it was going to be. He says, if you're having troubles already, you know, running this Boston Marathon, what are you going to do when I have you run in the Kentucky Derby? If you're struggling here in the safe country of the hills, what are you going to do when I have you hack your way through the Jordan Valley? That's the dire translation, by the way. But I think what Jeremiah asks a hard question, at least what he thinks is a hard question. And God provides a very honest and refreshing answer.
S1: Jerry says, we've been studying Ezekiel and the Millennial Temple, and I'd like to know where are the raptured Christians at this time? I know God's glory appears in this temple, but where is Jesus and where are we?
S2: Well, we know at the time of the rapture, Christians are taken to heaven to be with the Lord. The dead in Christ also receive their glorified bodies at that same time. When Jesus then returns to earth at the end of the tribulation period. I believe we also return to earth with him in two Timothy 212. We're told if we endure with him, we will also reign with him. And I take that to mean we'll have positions of authority in the Millennial Kingdom. So during the millennium, we're citizens of the New Jerusalem. That's the dwelling place that Christ prepared for us, according to John 14. But we'll also be directly connected to Christ's reign here on earth and have positions of authority during that time. And while we're not told all the details of how that works, I'm sure it's going to make perfect sense at that time.
S1: Second question on Ezekiel from Vernon in chapter nine, verse four, a mark was put on the foreheads of the men who sigh and groan over all the abominations that are committed. Does this mean that they were given a soft heart in place of a stony heart to believe.
S2: Well, the mark isn't the imparting of a new heart on those who are grieving and lamenting. Their attitudes suggest they were people who were already sorrowing over the evil being done in Jerusalem. I suspect Jeremiah, the prophet who lived in Jerusalem at this time, would have been one of those who received the mark on that day. And by the way, that mark was visible to God and his angels, but it wasn't visible to anybody living in Jerusalem at the time. So the point of the vision is to show that God knew those who belonged to him and was marking them for his protection in the coming destruction of Jerusalem.
S1: Vernon takes us to the Book of Ezekiel and points out that in chapter three, verse six, it states that the prophet will be speaking to a people who will be able to understand, but will not listen. But had the message been given to the people with a hard language, would they have listened? Does this mean if they heard, they would believe unto salvation? Well, I.
S2: Think we need to take verses 4 to 6 actually together there in chapter three. God is sending Ezekiel to speak to the house of Israel. He says he's in captivity. So the group he's speaking to are those who've already been taken into captivity in Babylon. And God makes this clear in verse 11 where he says to him, go now to your own countrymen in exile, and speak to them. God's point in these verses is that those who should understand the message God is about to have him deliver, because they have no language barrier. They'll be the ones who will refuse to accept it. And I think the point of comparison is that the pagan Babylonians would have been more receptive to the message than his own fellow countrymen to whom God was sending him.
S1: Our question now from Sadie here on the land and the book where we're taking questions from listeners, by the way, I'll share our email address later. That's how you get your question to us. She takes us to Proverbs 626, pointing out that translators and scholars are divided on how to translate and interpret it. Some scholars even claim that the verse proves that visiting a prostitute was permitted for a season. I know that the Lord and the Apostle Paul would forbid this, but that's in the New Testament. I'm asking specifically what was permitted in the Old Testament.
S2: Yeah. And this is an interesting verse. It's incredibly difficult to translate, which is why translations differ so much. And I think the best approach here, though, is to look at the larger context and see if it offers some help. Now, some things left out in verse 26 that the writer intends for us to supply. The verse literally says, because the price of a woman or harlot as a loaf of bread and a wife, a man's precious soul hunts. Now something obviously needs to be added to have that comparison he's giving there. Makes sense. Here's what I think needs to be added. The first line, I believe, is suggesting that it can appear to a naive man that adultery is a relatively inexpensive thrill for very little commitment or expense. He can experience the sexual benefits of another, either a prostitute or, more likely, I actually think of another man's wife. But then the second line focuses on the real results. He might think he only had to pay a small price for that sexual encounter. But in reality, the woman was seeking to trap his very life. Here's why I think that might be the better translation. The overall context is a parent's instructions to their naive son, and the focus is on helping the young man avoid the temptation of the evil woman who's an adulteress. That's verse 24. The temptation starts when the young man desires her beauty in his heart. Verse 25, the first part, and it's fed by her attempts to lure him into a relationship. The last part of verse 25. Then after verse 26, the verse in question. Here the writer goes on to share the real consequences of falling into this trap. In the end, it'll burn. The individual verses 27 and 28. And then he writes in verse 29, so is the one who goes in to his neighbor's wife. Whoever touches her will not go unpunished. Now, when I put verse 26 in that larger context, I don't see anything here that speaks to or permits a man visiting some prostitute for a season. I believe the context is warning a naive young man and telling him that what might look like an easy good time, possibly with the wife of another man who is herself trying to seduce him, will in the end cost the young man his reputation and perhaps even his most important possession, his own life.
S1: Mary wants to know, is there any Scripture at all that says we're escorted by angels to heaven? A broadcaster on the radio says they do. Thanks for your help.
S2: Yeah, I think the broadcaster was probably referring to the story of the rich man and Lazarus told by Jesus in Luke chapter 16. In verse 22 of that chapter, Jesus describes the death of the poor beggar Lazarus. This way the time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. That's the only reference I know of. And it was part of a story or a parable told by Jesus. But I also believe Jesus wouldn't have shared something that wasn't true. And Jesus does say he was carried by the angels into glory.
S1: And as always, if you didn't hear your question, Well, stick around if you've emailed it to us, it's coming on a future broadcast. But if you'd like to send in a question that's welcome to here's how You connect with Charlie Dyer. The land and the book@moody.edu the land and the book at Moody dot. Edu. Charlie, how long does it take to answer those questions?
S2: Well, I try and answer within a day or two. And then. Then, of course, it takes a little longer to get it here on the air. But my goal is to try and respond as quickly as possible.
S1: All right. So you'll get great service as you email us at the land and the book@moody.edu. And I'm looking forward to Charlie's devotional. It's next right here on Moody Radio's The Land and the book. Welcome back to the land and the book. I'm John Gager, and you know, when it comes to clothing and fashion, I have a very, let's just say, low level goal. I'm trying to just stay one step ahead of nerd, and I rarely succeed even at that. If I ever look halfway decent, it's because of something my wife got me. Charlie, you have a clothing item. Focus in your devotional today, though.
S2: I do, and it's going to take people by surprise. We're going to talk about how to ruin a girdle.
S8: Okay.
S1: I'm intrigued. And that's going to take us to Jeremiah chapter 13. We'll get to that, though, after we pause for this Holy Land experience. I love these stories.
S9: I went to the Holy Land when I was about 25 years old. It was at a point where I was studying the Bible and I went to church, but up till that point I felt like I was a churchgoer. But faith wasn't part of my life. The trip to the Holy Land allowed me to see every single story from the Bible as if it were real. And not only that, I also gained a historical perspective because the current events suddenly made so much more sense because of the rooting in history. It was devastating to see how many centuries people have not been able to resolve their view of the Lord. But what I kept with me for the next 30 years has been that our Christ walked those streets in Jerusalem, and I felt like every single thing that I tried to wonder and believe in, that is, in God's Word. I go back to the fact that, well, Jesus was real and his world was real, and these messages from God in the Bible are real for me too.
S1: Charlie, I've never thought of you as a fashion expert, but I think I'm about to be corrected. Take it away.
S2: My wife would say I'm not a fashionista by any means, but this is the second of two weeks we're spending in my favorite part of Israel, the Judean wilderness. And just as I did last week, I want to illustrate today's devotional by including some photos on our land in the book Facebook page. So go there and you'll see exactly what I'll be describing. Leading groups to Israel for more than 40 years has taught me one important lesson. I'm not as young as I used to be. In my younger days, I liked passages like Psalm 18. He makes my feet like hinds feet and sets me upon high places. I have my share of photos standing on the edge of cliffs and scampering up and down steep inclines. Now, following knee replacement surgery and more than my share of bumps, bruises, twists and falls, I think the passage I resonate with today comes from Ecclesiastes 12. The grasshopper drags himself along. The hills appear steeper, the ground seems rockier, and my legs are definitely not as spry or as sturdy as they once were. On my very first trip to Israel, the teacher at the school I was attending offered to take us on optional trips during our free days. I signed up for every single one, and one of those turned out to be the most difficult hike I ever took. I know I wouldn't be able to do it today. And the crazy part is, it sounded so simple when he first announced it. We would be going on a Jebba to Micmac hike. I see those blank looks on everyone's faces, so stay with me here. Jebba and Micmac are only about a mile and a half apart. If you remember the story of Jonathan and his armorbearer defeating the Philistine army. They started out in Jebba and defeated the Philistine garrison near Michmash. So the walk had some great biblical significance. Now, what the leader didn't tell us is that we would start at Gaba, head toward Michmash, then turn and walk nearly halfway to Jericho before heading back by way of another canyon and then climbing up a cliff near the hometown of Jeremiah the prophet. It was an all day hike. The day began with an aha moment, as I understood how Jonathan and his armorbearer were able to rout the Philistines, though that's a story for another day. But I ended the day with a second aha moment that actually became a chapter in my doctoral dissertation. And that's the story I want to share with you. It's found in Jeremiah 13, where the prophet from the nearby village of Anathoth explains how to ruin a girdle. Actually, this is a place in the Bible where growing up with the King James Version wasn't too helpful. As a kid, I somehow knew what a girdle was, but it wasn't an article of clothing associated with a man. And yet in Jeremiah 13 one, God told the prophet to go and get thee a linen girdle and put it upon thy loins. In this case, a more modern translation definitely helps most translate the word as waistband or belt. It actually refers to a linen sash or belt that someone would tie around his waist to help hold his garment in place. Jeremiah was sharing a message in story form with the people, just as the priests wore a linen belt or sash when ministering before the Lord. So now Jeremiah was wearing a similar sash, but in this case he was representing the Lord, and the sash was representing Israel. He was told to keep it around his waist and to not let it touch water. It was to stay permanently close to him. Jeremiah did this for some time until God came to him again with another command take the belt you bought and are wearing around your waist, and go now to Pirot and hide it there in a crevice of the rocks. Literally, God told Jeremiah to go to Pirot and hide the belt. Now the word Pirot is the Hebrew word for Euphrates, and we picture Jeremiah walking nearly 300 miles to reach the nearest branch of the Euphrates River. But if that's the case, then most of his audience would have no idea what he was doing because few, if any, would follow him there. This was always a puzzle to me until that all day hike we ended up at a natural spring called Ein Porat, literally the Euphrates Spring, and it was just over two miles from Jeremiah's hometown and five miles from Jerusalem. This had to be the place Jeremiah went to bury his linen sash. The spring of Porat is in a deep, rocky gorge just on the edge of the Judean Wilderness access is easier today, but back then we ended up climbing out of the gorge, up the side of a very steep cliff. As you can see in the pictures I took, it was a rough and rugged area, but Jeremiah's actions now made perfect sense. He was delivering the same message as the previous 12 chapters, but now it was being acted out in a far more dramatic way because of the nation's unbelief. Jeremiah represented God in this extended pantomime, and the linen belt or sash represented Israel. As long as Israel remained close to God, they were safe. But then Jeremiah took the sash to this rugged gorge to hide in a crevice of the rock. No doubt some of those from Jerusalem and his hometown followed Jeremiah to see what he was doing. Sometime later, God sent Jeremiah back to the gorge to retrieve the sash. So I went to Pirot and dug up the belt and took it from the place where I'd hidden it, but now it was ruined and completely useless. The water, dampness and dirt at the spring had caused the linen sash to rot and decay. It was worthless. God then had Jeremiah explain the point of the story. These wicked people who refused to listen to my words, who followed the stubbornness of their hearts and go after other gods to serve and worship them, will be like this belt completely useless, for as a belt is bound around a man's waist. So I bound the whole house of Israel, and the whole house of Judah to me, declares the Lord, to be my people for my renown and praise and honor. But they have not listened. And there's one more key detail Jeremiah doesn't explain, but that the people would have understood. What did God use to destroy this sash that represented them? It was parrot. The Euphrates. God would send the Babylonians from the region of the Euphrates River to destroy the nation, unless they missed the point. God has Jeremiah emphasize how the belt was hidden in the crevice of the rock. Why is that significant? Back in chapter four, verse 29, God described how the people will scramble to get away when the invaders arrive at the sound of horsemen and archers. Every town takes to flight. Some go to the thickets, some climb up among the rocks, and then later in chapter 16, God described how he would send the invading army to search out the people. I will send for many hunters, and they will hunt them down on every mountain and hill and from the crevices of the rocks. When Israel stopped clinging to God, there was no other place of safety. Even if they tried to hide in the rocky crevices and cracks in the wilderness, God would make sure the Babylonians, those from the Euphrates, would find them. Before we walk up the steep but more modern roadway to leave the spring of parrot, what lesson can we take with us from Jeremiah 13 and his instructions on how to ruin a girdle? How about this somber warning? The only way we can experience true security is to cling tightly to God the moment we let go of him and turn to someone or something else for our security. We're setting ourselves up for failure. The words of the chorus by Mildred Lightner Dillon are a good reminder of the place we need to go to find our safety and security. Safe. Am I safe? Am I in the hollow of his hand? Sheltered or sheltered or with his love forevermore. No ill can harm me. No foe alarm me. For he keeps both day and night safe. Am I safe? Am I in the hollow of his hand?
S1: Thank you Charlie, I love that old chorus. Brings back a lot of great memories. We should sing that one. Well, we're singing your praises for hanging out with us at the land of the book. Thanks for your company today. Our website is The Land and the book. Org. Thank you to our host, Charlie Dyer, our producer, Dan Anderson. I'm John Gager the land and the book is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.