S1: He's just back from a trip to Israel. But he wasn't touring. He was learning, observing, and a lot of what he saw was, quite frankly, shocking. How profound is the impact of the Hamas war on Israel? What's next for the nation that Hamas and others want to destroy completely? Coming up, an update from Israel, plus all the top stories of the Middle East. Welcome to the land and the book. It's the one hour broadcast that takes you to the Holy Land and back without a passport or plane ticket. Our tour guide is Doctor Charlie Dyer, who, by the way, has led more than 100 actual trips to Israel. And I'm John Gager. Well, Israel, of course, has been in the news a lot over the past year. And as we know, the Bible is jam packed with end times prophecies about epic world events, the regathering of the Jewish people to their ancient homeland, and and then ultimately, Jesus soon returned. It is crucial for us as believers to have a proper understanding of Bible prophecy. So our view of the future is shaped by Scripture, not just headlines from today.
S2: That's right. And with this in mind, our friends at Life in Messiah have published a book titled God, Israel and Bible Prophecy, and they're offering it to listeners of the land in the book for a limited time. This informative book is focused on providing readers with a deeper understanding and greater appreciation of what God has in store for Israel and the nations by digging into what the scriptures say about these issues. Now, if you're interested in learning more about what God has in store, visit Life in Messiah. Org and click on the Moody Radio button there to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: And now let's take a look at current events from the Middle East. Israel's war with Hamas is no longer headline news, but the war is still continuing. Charlie, what exactly has been happening?
S2: Well, the level of intensity in that war has dropped, but Israel is continuing to put pressure on Hamas by attacking remaining pockets of resistance. On Monday, a barrage of 20 rockets was launched from Gaza against southern Israel. They landed in open areas near the border but did no damage. But it was a reminder that the war isn't over. Israel continues to target Hamas and Islamic Jihad targets. They want to keep pressure on Hamas to help secure a hostage deal, but they're also continuing to search for and destroy tunnels leading from Egypt to Gaza. Those are the supply lines that were used to arm Hamas, and Israel wants to cut off their ability to resupply. The number of tunnels was far more extensive than initially thought. Some believe that operation could actually take many more months to complete. The next phase of the war also involves creating some kind of a government alternative to Hamas. Israel is trying to place Palestinians not affiliated with Hamas over some administrative functions. Meanwhile, the US is trying to recruit other Arab countries to participate in a post-war Gaza security force. Secretary of State Blinken has said Egypt and the United Arab Emirates are on board to serve as part of that force. However, both conditioned their participation on plans to establish a pathway to a future Palestinian state, and the UAE is also demanding that the US be involved in the security force in some way. There's one other item of note on what's been happening in Gaza. A few months ago, the UN and the International Court of Justice were accusing Israel of genocide by creating a catastrophic food shortage in Gaza. At the time, they claimed a full blown famine would break out between March and July. Well, a new report was released saying those previous assumptions were wrong. This new UN linked report found no mortality data to prove famine is present. The previous projection was based on wrong assumptions on the amount of food entering the territory, instead of decreasing the supply increased. Those earlier claims made the headlines, but the new factual data debunking those claims has barely been acknowledged. It's a good reminder that one of the first casualties in war is the truth. Hamas has been caught numerous times announcing so-called Israeli atrocities that turned out to be false, but the reports were uncritically picked up and broadcast by mainstream media. The level of coverage on the war in Gaza is continuing to drop as the press shifts its focus to other areas, but the war still continuing, and Israel is still doing everything it can to defeat Hamas, bring back the remaining hostages, and doing so while harming as few civilians as possible. And that is worth noting. Charlie, what.
S1: About time frame here? Any thoughts on this? We're talking about more tunnels to destroy, obviously hostage negotiations still going on. What are what's the latest thinking on a time frame for an end or some sort of a a stalled resolution.
S2: Well, the one number that was thrown about was it would take at least six months to a fully get rid of all the tunnels that are leading in from Egypt to Gaza. But the reality is they don't know what they don't know. So that's just the best guess. And it may be wildly optimistic or pessimistic.
S1: Well, the conflict with Hamas may be sliding into the background, but Israel's threatened conflict with Hezbollah and Iran seemed to be taking its place. Is a peaceful resolution even possible, or is war just simply inevitable at some point?
S2: Well, war is definitely a possibility, though I wouldn't say it's inevitable, though the headlines make it seem like that in a speech, though, Israeli National Unity Party head Benny Gantz said the Israeli Defense Force can destroy Hezbollah's military capabilities in a matter of days. The former defense minister did admit that Israel would pay a price in any war, but the price paid by Lebanon and Hezbollah would be far greater. For its part, Iran warned of obliterating Israel if Israel attacks Hezbollah. It threatened to act against Israel with full force and to include the full involvement of, quote, all resistance fronts alluding to their allies in Iraq, Yemen and Syria. Israel's foreign minister responded with his own threat, saying A regime that threatens destruction deserves to be destroyed. Israel's defense minister said Israel isn't looking for war but is ready for it. He also said he hopes a diplomatic solution could be reached. Now, the key to any settlement is the implementation of UN Security Resolution 1701, which created a demilitarized zone between the border and the Litani River in Lebanon. This requires Hezbollah to remove its fighters away from Israel's border to the north of that river. This would allow the 60 to 80,000 Israeli citizens, who have been displaced since October to return to their homes, and it would allow Lebanese civilians who fled their homes to return as well. A peaceful resolution is possible, but the final decision rests with Hezbollah. One thing's for certain, though Israel won't allow Hezbollah fighters to remain on their border indefinitely. And a cut off time, if you will, might be sometime in July or August.
S1: Charlie, if you're Lebanon, you know you can't be thrilled about what's happening either. What is the leverage that continues to keep them from simply being reasonable?
S2: Well, sadly for them, it's the fact that Hezbollah is better armed than even the Lebanese army. No matter what they say, they really don't have much of a voice over Hezbollah because it is so well armed from Iran.
S1: Story number three an archaeologist claims to have discovered evidence of a Syrian army camps in Israel dating back to the time of King Hezekiah. Where are these camps? How reliable is the evidence and how would this discovery connect to claims in the Bible?
S2: You know, it's amazing. There are so many passages in Second Kings 18 to 20, Isaiah 36 to 39, Second Chronicles 32, and Isaiah ten. Micah one, along with others, describe the invasion of Judah during the time of Hezekiah by King Sennacherib of Assyria. Archaeological evidence from the ancient city of Lachish matches that description, and so does a relief on display in the British Museum that was originally from the palace in Nineveh that depicts the Assyrian army camp during its siege of Lachish. Now the camp in that relief is oval shaped, and it's protected by a wall with guard towers at regular intervals. So they have some idea of what that camp would have looked like. Using that relief, along with early photos from Israel and some modern mapping techniques. Stephen Compton claims to have discovered the location of the Assyrian army camps, both at Lachish and just to the north of Jerusalem. If those proposed sites are indeed Assyrian camps, it would be additional support for the biblical accounts describing those attacks. However, I can't get too excited about this announcement, at least not yet. No actual excavations have been done at either site, so he's basing his identification on Arabic names along with maps and photos. But in the area where Lachish is located, well, there are a lot of hills that would fit this description, and it's not clear from the relief in the British Museum that the Assyrians even put their camp on a hill. Now, I believe the Assyrian camps are near Lachish, as shown in that relief in the British Museum, and that they were on the north side of Jerusalem, because Isaiah ten says that. But, uh, the problem is right now we don't know where they are. Someday his proposed locations might be validated through excavations, but for right now, all we can say is his proposed locations are in the right general area, and that the Assyrians did indeed camp there based on what the Bible says.
S1: Well, six months ago, you reported on an Israeli medtech company's innovative headset that could reduce delirium in ICU patients, and an interim report now suggests the system is having a positive impact on severely injured soldiers. So tell us about this latest update from Icontrol control medical technology.
S2: Yeah, this is a great story. You know, they originally developed this headset as an alternative to communicate with people who have ALS. But they saw an opportunity to try and use it with those in ICU who are under sedation and on a ventilator. And their hope was it could help reduce or eliminate delirium and post-traumatic stress disorder. The headset has an infrared camera that follows the eye, a bone conduction earphone, and it's connected to the cloud via Wi-Fi. Sedated patients are in a state of artificial sleep, but the brain still works to fill in gaps, which is what leads to nightmares, PTSD, and delirium. So playing familiar sounds in this headset, like favorite music or hearing verbal messages from the family, is what they were hoping would fill in the gaps. And indeed, that's what is happening. One seriously wounded patient awoke after six months in intensive care and asked the nurse to listen to his favorite music, which they had been playing. The innovative use of this system is really having a positive impact on those in ICU.
S1: And that's a look at current events from the Middle East with our host, doctor Charlie Dyer. Coming up, a conversation where we're going to head inside Israel with a guy who's just back, fresh insights, perspectives you need to hear. That's all ahead on today's edition of The Land and the book. When it comes to the war with Hamas, facts have ceased to matter in America. A generation that claims to measure everything with science has thrown science out the window. What's left is narrative, and that narrative is viciously, sometimes violently, opposed to Israel. What's really going on? Troy Miller of the National Religious Broadcasters was just in Israel. He joins us today with fresh insights in just a moment here on the land and the book. Welcome. I'm John Gager, and before we join Troy, let's think about ways that we can model Christ for our Jewish friends and neighbors. Helping you help your Jewish friend find Yeshua in the Old Testament. That's our challenge. As we sit down with Michael Riedel, general editor of the Moody Handbook of Messianic Prophecy. Where would you take us?
S3: I would say, you know, so often people say Jesus was some sort of victim. No, this was a choice that the Hebrew prophets said he would make to suffer for us. It says in Isaiah 50 when it talks about the suffering servant, it's a first person kind of statement, a poem written in the first person. He says. I gave my back to those who beat me and my cheeks to those who tore out my beard. I did not hide my face from scorn and spitting. Isaiah 50, verse six. What he is saying is, I willingly suffered. I did not go to the cross as a victim. It was my choice. That's what the Lord Jesus taught. No man takes my life, but I lay it down willingly. He gave himself for us because it was his choice. He was not a victim of oppression. He was one who chose. He could have called those angels to deliver him, but he chose to die for us.
S1: Our thanks to Michael Radiogenic, professor of Jewish studies here at the Moody Bible Institute, joining us on the land and the book. Troy Miller is president and CEO of the National Religious Broadcasters. He's enjoyed a distinguished and varied career, including 15 years with the US Navy. He worked for Personal Computer Gateway Incorporated for ten years, was involved in leading several business start ups, including Gateway's expansion into Europe and Asia. Troy has also served as the executive vice president and chief operating officer for James Kennedy Ministries. And as I mentioned earlier, he recently returned from a trip to Israel, which is the focus of today's conversation. Hey, welcome to the land and the book, Troy.
S4: Thanks, John. I'm glad to be with you.
S1: So what was the nature of your visit to Israel?
S4: So we took a group of Christian communicators, uh, people that were in Christian media over for what we called a solidarity and fact finding tour. We were able to meet with a number of officials and a number of organizations while we were there, to really get a good perspective of what's going on in Israel today with the war on Hamas, and also what's going on in the northern border with Hezbollah. So that was kind of the whole gist of our mission. But we also met with a number of religious leaders so that we could show the solidarity that Christians have for Israel and for our brothers and sisters there. As you know, there's a lot of opposition going on in the U.S. right now. And so that was an important message we wanted to bring.
S1: Well, you did a lot of walking, a lot of touring. Tell me about an experience you had that felt like a kick in the stomach. What comes to mind?
S4: Yeah, I think the two biggest kicks in the stomach that we had one. We visited the Nova music Festival grounds and were able to talk to a few survivors. And when you really understand what happened on that music grounds, that festival there, it really is just heart wrenching for you to understand that these young kids woke up that morning, they were listening to music. They were getting ready to kind of head home for the day. And then they heard the sirens. But the sirens quickly turned into gunfire. And just the horrific events there, and the number of young adults that lost their lives, that had promising lives. It's just a heartache. Just gut wrenching, as you said.
S1: National Religious Broadcasters President and CEO Troy Miller is just back from a trip to Israel, and we appreciate his updates today on the land. And the book. Sounds like traveling to Israel right now in particular, is a whole lot different than talking about Israel, particularly the way the mainstream media has covered the current war. What are your thoughts?
S4: Oh, absolutely. The mainstream media, somehow I don't I'm not sure how has turned Israel into, you know, the enemy here, as if Israel was the perpetrator on October 7th and has forgotten that that it was Hamas who launched this horrific attack on these very peaceful and for the most part, very liberal communities that were down in the South. A lot of these communities were working very hard on the behalf of Palestinians and Palestinian citizens, trying to employ them, educate them, help them get medical coverage. Just a number of things there. And those are messages that the mainstream media is just not talking about. And also the fact, you know, just as, uh, not too long after we got back, Israel, you know, rescued four hostages. Two of those hostages were being held by Palestinian civilians. They weren't being held by, you know, the Hamas militants, the terrorists, they were being held by civilians. And this is just a message that mainstream media is not reporting. And they're also not reporting, John, on what's going on on the northern border. Until recently, Hezbollah on the northern border has launched well over a thousand rocket attacks into Israel. And so there's a lot going on in Israel that we want people to be aware of.
S1: Troy, the question is why? What's the payoff? What's the pressure point that is creating this kind of false reporting?
S4: Well, I think it just falls in line with the problem we have here in the U.S., the indoctrination on critical race theory and intersectionality and some of these things that have been taught in these colleges and universities. And now they see Israel, you know, portrayed Israel as the aggressor, as the evil in this, as the colonial power. And people don't realize that, you know, the land that God gave Israel way back, all the way back that he promised Abraham. Jews have been in that land continuously. There has never been a time where the Jewish people have not been in the land. There's been a remnant. Of course, we know there's a dispersion, but the Jewish people were there long before 1948, before Israel was declared a state. And I think that it just fits into this socialist Marxist indoctrination that they're doing, and they don't know how to back away from it now. We met with some protesters and people who, like those who deny the Holocaust, were even denying that October 7th even happened in Israel, and that it's just the narrative there is really, really hard to understand.
S1: Well, if you joined us midstream, this is the Land and the book from Moody Radio, I'm John Gager, joined by Troy Miller, who is president of the National Religious Broadcasters here in the US. Troy polling has shown a precipitous drop in support for Israel among young evangelicals impacted by both social media and their peers over the images coming from Gaza. So how do you suggest we counteract all of this?
S4: It's a topic that pastors and leaders, elders and churches need to talk about and Christian media is talking about. And I'm so glad that you're covering this topic today. And we really need to get Christian influencers on these social media platforms, particularly TikTok, where the young adults, young evangelicals really get their information from and communicate the truth about what's really going on in Israel and what's really behind these attacks, and the fact that Hamas really simply wants the elimination of the Jewish people in the Middle East.
S1: Well, one bright spot in this discussion. You've observed that when American students who have a strong faith based background, when they're presented with the full picture, they're more inclined to be supportive of Israel than their secular counterparts. Give us a story or example here.
S5: Yes.
S4: So my daughter actually went out to the University of California with Concerned Women of America to march on behalf of Israel, and they were able to meet some of the protesters, and particularly some of the protesters who were Christians out there and have these dialogues, have a conversation and talk about, okay, here's what happened October 7th. Here's what Israel's facing. Did you know that Israel has given the Palestinian people complete autonomy to run their cities and to run their areas? And as she had those conversations, she found out that very quickly the evangelical students said, oh, we didn't know any of that. The Christians that were there marching on behalf of Palestine. So we didn't really realize any of that. And she said several of them just walked away from the protest.
S1: Mm. That's great. Hey, let's talk a bit more about the anti-Semitic wave that's rolling over college campuses. You've written the actions of an extremist minority on college campuses across the United States have created a backlash that is bringing Christians and Jews together against the woke driven, anti-Israel ideology permeating the mainstream media. Give us an example of this coming together.
S5: Yeah.
S4: So again, look at my daughter. You know, she's 23 years old. She flies out to California to go and rally on behalf of the Jewish and Israeli students at the University of Southern California. And we also saw this down at many of the southern universities, University of Mississippi, where there was a march down there by a number of anti-Israeli march, a pro-Palestinian march and a group from one of the Christian student bodies was a group that helped surround some of the monuments so that they could not be defaced. And these are groups that are groups across this country that have volunteered to escort Jewish students to their classes. And these are predominantly Christian groups. These are predominantly young Christian adults who come alongside their Jewish brothers and sisters on the campuses to show that solidarity and protect them. And that is really, as you said, that's a really hopeful thing that we're actually seeing Christians stand up today and protect our Jewish brothers and sisters.
S1: What's happening now in Israel and how it's being portrayed here in America. That's our focus on the land and the book as we dialogue today with Troy Miller, president of the National Religious Broadcasters, just back from Israel, it feels very much like Israel has just plain lost the media war. At least, you know, in the mainstream media. How can we take seriously though, the claim of genocide against Israel when the Hamas charter talks specifically about the destruction of Israel? Why does this get no mention, no traction in the media? And what can believers do to change that?
S4: Look, the mainstream media has a message that they want to send out. And I think we're seeing this today, as we've seen a lot of these anti-Israel pro-Palestinian marches really morph into anti-American marches. And even in some cases, some of these marches have called, you know, for violence on Christians. And I think one of the things that Christian media can do is Christian media needs to keep reminding people of the truth, and especially us as Christians, we understand, we look in our Bible, we can read from Exodus, we can read the promises that were made to Abraham in Genesis. We can read Joshua's conquest. And we understand that the land that God, this is the creator of the universe. He carved out this one place of all the earth. God took this land and carved it out for his people. And so one of the initiatives that we've launched also is an initiative called Keep God's Land, which is we change the rhetoric and we don't talk about things like the West Bank. There is no such thing as a West Bank. That's a made up term. This land is Judea and Samaria. This is the land that Christ walked himself in. And this was the land that was given to the Jewish people. And so we need to keep that narrative going. You know, so many young people can't even name when they chant from the river to the sea. They can't even name the river. They don't even understand what's going on there. And as you said, we don't talk enough about Hamas, who recently just got on. The Hamas leader who's in Qatar recently just got on the the mainstream media, got on Al Jazeera and called for the elimination of all homosexuals across the Middle East, and talked about how there's no repentance for that. And that's the difference between Christianity and radical Islam. We understand that God forgives, there is repentance. There is a way back to Christ, has paid the penalty for our sins, and we need to talk more about that. As a church, we need to talk about this is God's land, and we need to talk about really the difference that's going on here between Islam, Judaism and Christianity.
S1: Troy, I read a Pew Research report, This is fresh, in which people were asked about speech that supports Israel's right to exist, among other questions. Should that type of speech be allowed, meaning Israel's right to exist? Should that be allowed? Get this 7% of Americans said no and 21% were unsure. Why are we not more outraged by this apparent desire to shut down even speech about these things?
S5: Yeah, well, look.
S4: We should be completely outraged that we can't talk about something as simple as the right for the Israeli state to exist, a right that was given to them in 1948, a right that has been there, as we said, from God from the beginning. And this is very indicative of what's going on in society today. We see the weaponization of the mainstream media. Mainstream media today is not media. They're a propaganda generation, factories generating factories that are out there. And we see this weaponization of the government. And I think people I really would hope that people would have a bigger backlash to this after the whole Covid pandemic mess, where we found out that so much of what they called misinformation really turned out to be real information. And today, I don't know why we don't, but we need our pastors need to talk about the value of our First Amendment rights, our God given rights. The values that the Founding Fathers understood were rights given to us not by the government, but given to us by our creator.
S1: National Religious broadcasters. Broadcasters President and CEO Troy Miller has joined us today on the land and the book. We're up next. Charlie Dyer takes a look at your questions. I'm looking forward to what's puzzling you on the land and the book. Hope your day is going well. This is the land and the book from Moody Radio with our host, Charlie Dyer. I'm John Gager, and this is segment three, Bible Questions and Answers. We have a great time because it's not us doing the scripting, the asking, it's you. The questions are all yours. They're all real. They come to us via email at The Land and the book@moody.edu. You know, Charlie Israel has been in the news a lot over the past year and as we know, the Bible is jam packed with end times prophecies about epic world events, the regathering of the Jewish people to their ancient homeland, and Jesus return. It's crucial for us, though, as believers, to have a proper understanding of Bible prophecy. So our view of the future is shaped by Scripture, right? Not today's headlines.
S2: That's exactly right. And with this in mind, our friends at Life and Messiah have published a book titled God, Israel and Bible Prophecy, and they're offering it to listeners of the land in the book for a limited time. This informative book is focused on providing readers with a deeper understanding and greater appreciation of what God has in store for Israel and the nations by digging into what the scriptures say about these issues. Now, if you're interested in learning more about what God has in store, visit Life in Messiah. Org and click on the Moody Radio button to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in Messiah org.
S1: All right. Thank you. Charlie. Let's dig into our first question. This one from Sue she says, is time one of God's attributes or did he create time? And if he created time, when did he do so? Is God just present in this moment or does he simultaneously exist in the past, present, and future? How does God see the future? Yeah, I.
S2: Don't see time as being an attribute of God. A time seems to be a function of the created order. It's a property of creation, kind of like the second law of thermodynamics or the speed of light. You know, passages like Psalm 90 put God outside the created order. It says there before the mountains were born, or you brought forth the whole earth from everlasting to everlasting, your God. That Psalm also describes, I think, in poetic fashion, how God's view of time is so vastly different than ours. It says A thousand years in your sight are like a day that's just gone by, or like a watch in the night. Now, in terms of God's relationship to time, I like what God himself said in Isaiah 46. He says, remember the former things those of long ago I'm God, there is no other. I'm God, there's none like me. I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times. What is still to come. So trying to determine how time relates to God, at least to me, seems to be irrelevant since time itself, past, present, future exists within the plan he designed before time, as we even understand it, began. One last passage though it's from the New Testament. First Timothy one nine. There Paul describes God's gracious plan of salvation through his son. He says it was given in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time. Literally. It says before time eternal. We might say before the eons of time. But the key here is that this was before those eons of time even began. God was there, and he had a plan prior to the foundation of time itself.
S1: Interesting. Robin takes us to Romans 826, which says, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us. But verse 34 says, Jesus Christ intercedes for us. Now how are these two roles similar and or different?
S2: Well, I see them as complementary, you know, in verses 22 to 28. In that section, Paul uses three forms of a word for groan or groaning. In verse 22, the whole creation groans together. In verse 23, we groan within ourselves, and then in verse 26, the spirit intercedes for us, he says with groanings that words can't express. His point here is that the world around us is full of struggles. We experience struggles as well. And he says in verse 26, the spirit comes to our aid by taking all the prayer concerns we struggle over and bringing them to God the Father with an intensity with groanings that we can't even begin to imagine. And he does it in accordance with God's will. So as a result, we have confidence God will work all things together for the good of those who love him. Because of the role of the spirit in praying for us and taking our feeble prayers and translating them into those powerful and passionate words that align with God's will. Now the second part, verses 31 to 35. The focus isn't on prayer, but it's on the issue of our acceptance by God. And he says, no charge can be made against us that can stand because God has predestined, called, justified and glorified us. And we know that because God gave His Son to pay the penalty for our sin. So Paul's arguing from the greater to the lesser. If if God already has given us his son, won't he also meet all our other needs by his grace? And then he says, how can charges be made against us since God justifies us? Christ died for us, was raised from the dead, and intercedes for us. And now in those verses, the intercession isn't focused on answering prayer, but on answering any objections someone might raise about our salvation.
S1: Questions and answers. With Charlie and John here on the land and the book. Charlie's answering those questions. I get to ask your questions, and that's kind of fun. Here's one from Joe, she says, considering the great importance that the tabernacle and temple sacrifices had for the Jewish people, how did they transition out of all that? A ritual that was so incredibly significant?
S2: Well, from a human perspective, the sacrifices and temple system ceased because the temple was destroyed by the Romans in AD 70. In Deuteronomy 12, God gave specific requirements on where they were to offer their sacrifices. He says, you can't just choose any place. You've got to go to the one which your Lord, your God will choose. So initially the tabernacle was set up at Shiloh. That's the place chosen by God. But then it became Jerusalem when Solomon's Temple was built. There are Jewish individuals today who believe they need to rebuild the temple now, since they're back in the land. But until a new temple is built, they're prohibited from offering sacrifices and performing those other rituals.
S1: From Brian this question some Christians believe that nations should be non-resistant and never enter a war. Others think we shouldn't start one but have a right to defend ourselves and or other nations. Still, others might feel Christians shouldn't fight, but it's all right for non-Christians to fight. What can we conclude from Scripture?
S2: Yeah, and this is one where I've got to watch very carefully, because to fit everything in, I could go a mile a minute speaking. So I want to try and speak slowly, but we're going to cover a lot of ground because good and godly people do disagree. So I'm going to offend some listeners and what I'm going to say. and it's my opinion. And here's what I believe the Bible teaches. So if you don't like it I'm sorry, but God does prohibit murder. We can all agree on that. That's the intentional taking of an innocent life. That's the sixth commandment thou shalt not kill. But second, I don't believe that command is intended to be absolute without exception. In this sense, in Genesis nine six, God established capital punishment for deliberate murder. Whoever sheds the blood of man by man shall his blood be shed. For in the image of God, God has made him. A human life is to be held sacred, and the penalty for deliberately taking a human life for committing murder is the forfeiture of the life of the one who commits that murder. Now that principle is repeated in both the Old and New Testaments. In Leviticus 2417, God said, if anyone takes the life of a human being, he must be put to death. And in Romans 13, verses three and four, Paul said, you know, rulers don't hold terror for those who do, right? But if you do wrong, you do because he's God's servant to do you good if you do right. But he's an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. You know, God did establish capital punishment to judge those who commit murder. I go beyond that. Third. I believe God provides human government to help hold evil in check. And a legitimate role of government is to provide safety for its citizens. And sometimes that includes going to war. A God sent Israel to war on multiple occasions. Now how does that impact believers? Here's the bottom line. I think this is where it becomes a matter of personal conviction. Can a believer join the military and fight for his country? I believe that's possible if the individual understands the differences between not seeking vengeance, but seeking to promote justice and national protection. Uh, the same thing is true for someone serving as a police officer, in the sense that they're given authority by the state to maintain order and help bring lawbreakers to justice. And at times, that includes the power to take the life of someone threatening others. Does a Christian have a right to defend himself or herself or others if attacked? Well, Psalm 82 says, we're to defend the cause of the weak and fatherless, maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed, rescue the weak and needy, deliver them from the hand of the wicked. And that suggests to me we can step in to defend those being attacked. But how about us? How does this impact us if we're the one being attacked? And the answer depends on how we take passages like Jesus's words in Matthew five. You've heard it was said, an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. But I say, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. So as you can see, there isn't one simple answer, but what I would encourage you to do is study all those different passages and ask the Lord to give you wisdom to know how he wants you to respond in a way that best honors him. Huh?
S1: What a complex question and a great answer. Thank you. Charlie. Stan says that my men's Bible study last week, somebody mentioned that Jesus will be the only one in heaven with scars on his eternal body as a result of the crucifixion. They support this view with revelation five verse six, where Jesus is represented as a lamb looking as if it had been slain. Also, Jesus had nail and spear marks when he appeared to Thomas after the resurrection. I'm not sure I agree with this position. What are your thoughts?
S2: Well, I see two separate questions here, so let me answer each one first. Does Jesus bear the marks of his crucifixion in his resurrection body? And the Bible says he does. In fact, you you referenced Jesus's post-resurrection encounter with Thomas. That's in John chapter 20, where he mentions the imprint of the nails in Jesus's hands and the wound in his side. So I do see that. Now. The second question, though, is whether Jesus will be the only one with identifiable marks on the resurrection body. And as far as I can see, we're simply not told we must be identifiable in some way in our new bodies, but we're not told what those identifiable characteristics might be. This is a case, I think, where we need to rest. In Paul's words in first Corinthians 15, you know, he talked about some are wondering, how will the dead be raised, what kind of body will they have? And he says, the body that's sown is perishable, it's raised imperishable. It's sown in dishonor, raised in glory, sown in weakness, raised in power, sown a natural body, raised a spiritual body. Beyond his general description, we really don't know exactly what our new bodies are going to be like, but whatever they are, I think they're going to be pretty amazing and I think we'll be pleased with them.
S1: And that's an amazing set of questions that have come our way. Yours. Welcome. Any time when you email us at The Land and the book@moody.edu. Hey, Charlie Dyer's devotional is next. It's going to be great right here. Welcome back to the land and the book. I'm John Gager asking, don't you love a great coincidence? I've got one for you. This morning in my Bible study time, I was reading through Proverbs eight, and now I find out. Charlie, you're about to take us to Proverbs 14. Is that.
S2: Correct? That's right.
S1: John, and we've titled this devotional What is Versus What Should Be? That's an interesting title. We'll get to the content after this quick Holy Land experience moment. Let's give it a listen.
S6: My name is Nita Tin and I was on the Moody tour and it was such a wonderful experience. If you want to get closer to the Lord, what better place than to come to where he walked? And as I think of the song I walked today where Jesus walked, that became so real. And just reading the Bible is going to make it so different. Just because you've been there in the land where Jesus was and, uh, especially for me, was, um, where Jesus was in the Garden of Gethsemane and where he cried, not my will, but thine be done. And that was so special to me because of what he has done for me and how he has saved me.
S1: Boy, it just no end to the different reactions to what people encounter as they travel to Israel. Thank you for sharing that. Well, I'm looking forward to this discussion. Charlie Solomon in the book of Proverbs. That's a great place to be.
S2: It is. And that's where we're going to spend the month of July. Now, one of my all time favorite musicals, John, is Fiddler on the roof. The story itself is full of pathos, and the songs evoke the emotions experienced by the different characters. You know? For example, in the movie version, Tevye is in the barn feeding his animals. When he turned, he looks to heaven and says in a tired prayer, Lord, you made many, many poor people. I realize, of course, it's no shame to be poor. And then he adds as something of an afterthought. But it's no great honor either. So what would have been so terrible if I had a small fortune? And then he launches into if I were a rich man. Now, most listening today can resonate with Tevye's words, at least emotionally. I think we've all felt at times how nice it would be to have just a small fortune. You're not enough to rival Bill Gates or Warren Buffett, but just enough to buy that car or house we've always wanted, or to not get stressed out at the end of each month when the different bills arrive or or, well, you can finish the sentence. Part of the problem is that we tend to compare ourselves with those who are more well off, not against those who are less fortunate. We seem to be attracted to the lifestyles of the rich because it helps fuel our desire to become more wealthy ourselves. And yet, compared globally, most Americans are already exceptionally blessed. In a 2024 poverty ranking by country in the United States, less than 2.2% of the population live on less than $10 a day. In Canada, it's even lower. Less than 1.2% of the population live on less than $10 a day. Now compare that to the 4.4 billion people in the rest of the world who live on less than $10 a day, or the nearly 700 million who live on less than $2 per day. To help put our thinking in perspective, let's pay a visit to Wise King Solomon and focus on what is versus what should be, but follow along closely, because the point of the story might not be what you think. In Proverbs 1420, Solomon presents a sad reality of life. The poor are shunned even by their neighbors, but the rich have many friends. A stark reality in life is that people like to hobnob with the haves while trying to avoid the have nots. In Proverbs 19 seven, Solomon paints an even grimmer picture. A poor man is shunned by all his relatives. How much more do his friends avoid him? Though he pursues them with pleading, they are nowhere to be found. The Hebrew literally says, all the brothers of the poor man hate him, and his friends abandon him. And it's not just that this unfortunate relative had slipped their mind. They actively seek to avoid him. Solomon continues. Though he pursues them with pleading, they are nowhere to be found. As Solomon so wisely observed in life, people often try to avoid the poor, even when those who are poor are relatives. Perhaps they're embarrassed, perhaps they're greedy or selfish. The reasons can vary, but the end result is that most prefer not to think about, be associated with, or extend help to the poor. Now I do need to add two crucial points. First, Solomon is not preaching an ancient form of socialism, as we'll see next week. Solomon also has much to say about someone whose poverty is the result of laziness or idleness. Such behavior wasn't to be rewarded. Solomon's words match those written almost 900 years later by the Apostle Paul in Second Thessalonians three. Keep away from every brother who is idle. If a man will not work, he shall not eat. Neither Solomon nor Paul condone supporting someone's Slothfulness the poverty being pictured by Solomon isn't the result of laziness or inactivity. Rather, circumstances can arise that lead to poverty. Ruth and Naomi were in poverty because of a famine followed by the deaths of their husbands. Job lost his wealth to a satanic attack. Illness. Fire. Flood. economic calamity, war and a host of other causes can lead to poverty. I believe Solomon's focus in Proverbs 14 is on those who find themselves in poverty, not caused by their own foolish actions. And that leads to the crucial point in Proverbs. I've quoted part of two proverbs that describe what is, and by that I mean Solomon is picturing what is often true in life. People do tend to ignore or not think about those who are in poverty. But now let's go back to see the other side of the coin, the what should be that? Solomon also stresses in 1420. Solomon said the poor are shunned even by their neighbors, while the rich have many friends. But then look at what he says in the very next verse. He who despises his neighbor sins. But blessed is he who is kind to the needy. Having pictured what might be considered normal by the world, Solomon quickly adds that it is not normal from God's perspective. I'm reminded of Jesus's parable of the Good Samaritan, given in response to someone trying to justify himself by saying, well, who is my neighbor? If the second greatest command is to love your neighbor as yourself, then despising and refusing to help one's truly needy neighbor is indeed a sin. And the one who does reach out to help receives God's blessing. In Proverbs 19, Solomon does something very similar, having described how even brothers and friends will abandon and shun the poor. Solomon then goes on in verse 17 to say, he who is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and he that is the Lord will reward him for what he has done. People didn't want to lend to the poor because it was almost certain they would never get repaid. But Solomon turns the equation on its head in helping the poor. You're not lending to them, but to the Lord. And God always pays back those who lend to him. It might be in this life, or it might be in the life to come. But picturing a gift to the poor as a loan to God puts an entirely different spin on the action. So what's the practical application of Solomon's wise words for us today? First, he didn't write to guilt us into giving to every panhandler holding up a sign at a stoplight. I like the signs posted in a number of cities that say it is okay to say no to panhandlers. Give instead to agencies that help those in need. Your local rescue mission can provide physical and spiritual help that will do far more good with your contribution. A second be wise. Do you personally know the circumstances that caused a family member or neighbor to be in financial need? Was it caused by a genuine calamity or is it the result of poor or even sinful life choices? You don't want to subsidize or encourage such a lifestyle, but you do want to help someone with a genuine need. Finally, be as generous and helpful as you can be without harming yourself or your family. If you're on a fixed budget, give what you can without going into poverty yourself. You can give directly to an individual, but you can also give to your church's assistance fund if it has one. Churches often have such a fund to minister to those in the congregation and community with physical needs, or give instead to a ministry that focuses on providing physical and spiritual support in times of need. Samaritan's purse and The Salvation Army are two groups that come immediately to mind. It's a reality of life that people tend to look up to those with wealth and power, and to ignore those in poverty. God wants us to demonstrate generosity and grace to those with legitimate needs. That requires wisdom on our part. But in reaching out to share with those in genuine need, just remember that God views it as a loan you're making to him, and he promises to someday reward your generosity. And that's part of Solomon's instruction for how to live life wisely.
S1: I love that nudge toward generosity. Thank you Charlie, if you want to hear today's program again, any of it or all of it, you can do that at our website, the land and the book.org information Information there about our guest, past programs, future programs, and more. The land and the book. Org that'll do it for today's edition of the broadcast for our host, Charlie Dyer. Our producer, Dan Anderson, I'm John Geiger, thanking you for your company. Nice to have you along the land. And the book is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.