S1: We need to understand the futility of what we think can give us authority over our sin other than Jesus Christ and Him crucified.
S2: Welcome to Treasure Truth with pastor and author James Ford, Jr. Senior pastor of the Christ Bible Church in Chicago. I'm Steve Hillard. Glad you're with us today. Now, pastor, I think everybody listening who would say, of course it's it's Jesus Christ who is going to give us authority over sin, you know, his death and resurrection. But what are some of the other things that we may think can give us authority over sin?
S3: Well, we really don't think these things, but there are others who think like their water baptism can deal with their sin. And I forgot what a great theologian it was. But he said, if water washes away my sin, I feel sorry for the fish. Yeah. And so, you know, some people think, you know, it's all in the water. And I tell the assembly that I pastor under the water is not under the blood. You can be baptized so many times that the fish can hit you up on Facebook and know your Social security number. It will not save you. Some people think it's transformation turning over a new leaf because it's brown on one side, but when they turn it over, Steve, they find out it's brown on the other side too. Yeah. And then, of course, there are those who think that it's church attendance going to church, quote, unquote. Well, going to church makes you a Christian and deals with your sin. Like going in a garage makes you an automobile. Like walking into McDonald's makes you a Big Mac. Number one supersize. It just doesn't work that way. Yeah. And so, you know what can deal with my sin? The songwriter said, what can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus. What can make me whole again? Nothing but the blood of Jesus. Oh precious is the flow that makes me white as snow. No other fount I know. Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
S2: Well, that's what we're looking at in our broadcast today. Join us in First Peter chapter one as we begin the message, the richness in redemption. Here's Pastor Ford.
S1: There's a story that's going about, uh, that's told about Albert Einstein. Nobody in here is Einstein challenged, are they?
S3: Alright.
S1: He was traveling from Princeton University, where he taught on a train. Uh, the conductor was going through, uh, the cabins, uh, punching the tickets, making sure that everybody had one when he came to Albert Einstein.
S3: Uh, he said, uh, your ticket, sir. And Albert Einstein checked in his vest pocket. No ticket. There's pants pocket. No ticket there. He opened up his briefcase. No ticket there. He looked beside his seat. No ticket there. He looks up at the young man, and before he could say anything, the conductor says, don't worry, sir, I know exactly who you are, and I'm sure that you bought a ticket to get on here. Don't worry about it. Don't worry about it. He turned to walk away. He turned around after he had punched about five more tickets. He saw Albert Einstein on the floor of the car looking for the ticket. He went back and he said, sir, I told you, I know who you are, so don't worry about the lost ticket. To which Albert Einstein replied, I know who I am too. I just don't know where I'm going. Well, I tell you, he's not by himself. There's a whole lot of people in this world that don't know where they're going. Now, there's some people that don't think they're going. Oh, but guess what? They're going because it's appointed unto man once to die. But after this, the judgment. You know, what's the death rate in the city of Chicago? One for one for everyone that's born, that one will die. And so everybody's going somewhere. And guess what? Everybody is going to live forever. You say, I didn't know that. Yes, you'll live forever in heaven or you'll burn forever in hell. Oh, yeah. You know, and the biggest problem. You know what it is. Uh, pastor, you know, the biggest problem is. The biggest problem is most people are like the little boy who is at Disney World. He was walking around and the officer saw him, walked up to him and said, little boy, are you lost? And he looked up and said, Uh-Uh, I ain't lost. But my mommy and my daddy, they lost. And so people are lost and they don't even know that they're lost. See? See, in order to get somebody saved, you first got to get them lost. And people, if they don't realize that they're lost, you're never going to be able to lead them to a saving faith in Jesus Christ. And here's the thing. You know, now, nobody in this service, of course, but a few in our 8:00 service and and people in the world, I mean, they're looking for something to satisfy them and they're going to find out, like some of us who are in the latter stages of our life or everything, you thought as a young person that would give you satisfaction. You get here and some of us done had all of it, and we could tell you that there is, according to the book of Ecclesiastes, a void in your life that only Jesus Christ can fill. You need to talk to some of us. But you don't believe we've been where you've been. I've got grandchildren, and they be trying to pull stuff. I say I'm the one who raised your daddy when he tried to do it and get away with it, and I tried it on my mama, and it didn't work. It ain't working. Amen. Been there, done that. Got the t shirt, doing conferences about the stuff you trying to pull. And here's what we found out. We found out that you try to fill it with the party, but guess what? The party's over. Yeah. Yeah. It always ends. Hey. Guess what? We tried it with the high. You always come down or come up, depending on what your higher preference was. Amen. We thought it was the money, but it always ran out. Have you found out yet? The car gets old, the house runs down. Yeah, we thought it was the sex. I ain't going to say nothing. Mm. Yeah. And so we need to understand. Y'all leave me alone now let me preach. Now quit. Quit bothering me now. And so we need to understand. There's a heaven to gain and a hell to shun. Now some people don't believe in hell. And I know that. I know they don't. Uh, you remember what happened to the Christian young man in the secular, uh, school? Uh, his professor was saying no such thing as heaven or hell. The Bible is not real. And, uh, Jesus and God, that's all fantasy. And and nobody believes that. And the young man said, I do. And he said, you believe that there was a whale that swallowed a man and then spit him back up and he was okay? Yes, I do, because the Bible says so. He said, well, how are you going to be confirmed in that? He said, well, when I get to heaven, I'm going to ask Jonah. He said, well, wonder if Jonah's Jonas. Not in heaven, he said. Then you asking? Mm. Yeah. And so here, here, here we are. Here we are. Because if we don't know how broke we were and how impoverished in our sin we were, we won't understand the richness of the redemption that's been given to us in Jesus Christ. Romans three puts it this way in verses ten and 11, there is no one that seeketh after God. All have gone their own way. Everybody wants to do their own thing. So no preacher can get up and say, y'all have sinned. He's gotta say all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. Yes. And so we need to understand the futility of what we think can give us authority over our sin other than Jesus Christ and Him crucified. Some people, I mean, you talk to religious people and you talk to individuals who think they got it together apart from Christ. They act as if they filled out an application. And the Trinity has become a quartet, and it's now no longer a Trinity. They were accepted as the fourth member of the Godhead. This Bible tells me there's no other way. Jesus said, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man comes to the father but by me. You know what they're going to find. They're going to find out. Like that FBI agent. I know y'all heard about him. He went, uh. And they suspected this farmer, you know, of growing weed, marijuana, Mary Jane, whatever you call him that blunt. And so they sent him, and, uh, he came up to the farm, and he said, we suspect that you're growing marijuana on some of your acreage, and I'm going to check it out. And, uh, so you just, uh, stay here till I come back. And the farmer said, well, wait. Well, you could go anywhere. I don't have any. You just go anywhere you want to go. But listen. The far field over here. Don't go over there. Because don't tell me where not to go. No, but I'm trying. No. Don't tell. He put out his badge. See that badge? FBI. I go anywhere I want to go. That's my authority. Swami said. Okay, try to tell you, he said. As a matter of fact, I'm going over there first because you're trying to hide something. So he went over there about five minutes later, the FBI agent is running across the field. He's screaming and hollering for the farmer, and there's a bull that's chasing him. And he said, oh, help me, help me, help me. Farmer ran to the fence. He said, show him your badge. Show him your badge. Show him your badge. You. Hey, there's meaning to the madness now. Come on. Here it is. Here it is. He thought he had authority. And he thought. I'll show you my badge. It doesn't work with everybody. You need to understand that when you stand before God, your work's your badge of your self-worth will not get you into heaven. You're coming to church will not get you to heaven, because there are people who are in church and not in Christ. So they're coming to church and they're going to hell at the same time. Freeze, man. Freeze! No no, no. The only thing that God accepts is the work of Jesus Christ on the cross.
S2: That is such a sobering thought, but an important thing for us to understand. It is the work of Jesus that gets us into heaven. You're listening to Treasure Truth with Pastor Ford and a message called The Richness in Redemption. Really a look at First Peter chapter one today. And we're going to get back to this teaching in just one moment. If you ever want to find out more about this program and about upcoming broadcasts, you can come to our website. It's Treasure Truth radio.org. While you're there, you can begin podcasting this program. And if you happen to use iTunes for your podcasting, Casting. Would you go ahead and rate the podcast that'll help us be found by even more people. You'll find the links you need at Treasure Truth radio.org. Again, here's Pastor Ford.
S3: And so let's talk about it. I'm going to drop them, not push them. The five aspects of our rich redemption, of which Peter says here we should already be assured of. This should just be a highlight. Here it is. First of all, I want you to notice that he says, that the richness of our redemption is seen in the price of that redemption. What's the price? Verse 18 and 19, for as much as you know then that you're not being redeemed with corruptible things such as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition of your fathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without spot and without blemish. Do you see what he's saying? He's saying that there are some people on church rolls, uh, that God doesn't have, and there are some that aren't God's role that the church doesn't have. Notice the first thing he does is he deals with the counterfeit price before he gives us, uh, the confirmed price. Say, what do you mean? He says, let me tell you what it's not first. And that's very important because he wants us to know. Listen. No no no no no no no no no, it's not by the vain tradition of your father. Now, the word vain, uh, literally means futile. Empty. Uh, it's a counterfeit payment. He says, listen, you must understand, uh, that there are those trying to give a substitute for what God actually wants. He's not looking for your church attendance. He doesn't care about your tithes and offerings. He doesn't care what kind of service you're doing. You say. You mean you don't care? No no no no no. That has nothing to do with your salvation. Let me take you all the way back to the book of Genesis. There were two sacrifices Cain and Abel. Cain sacrificed the fruit of the ground. God rejected it. Why? Because it represented. Works. Because God had cursed the ground. So Cain was giving him the best of his human ability. But it was cursed. And Abel brought the pleasing sacrifice that God wanted. Mm. Look at the confirmed price. We've been redeemed by the blood of Jesus Christ. Over and over again, the Bible tells us. The Bible says. What does the word redemption mean? It literally means to buy out of the slave market of sin so that God purchased us. And the price was blood. Okay. Leviticus 1711 I've given the blood upon the altar as an atonement for sin. Hebrews 922. Without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sin. I went through and and looked at some of the passages. There are over 100 passages in the New Testament about the blood. I'm not going to go through all of them, but Romans 325 and 26 says that the price was blood. Romans five nine the price was blood. Ephesians one seven redeemed through his blood. Colossians 119 and 20 his blood. Hebrews 911 through 15. Blood. Hebrews 1320. His blood. Acts 2028. His blood. So he says, you weren't redeemed by tradition or anything. It was with the precious blood of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. And so he tells us that his blood is precious. Okay. Um, could you help me, sister? Come help me. I just want you to help me. I want to see. I want to show you what what he's talking about here. Now, here's what I want you to do for me. I want you to give me $100.
S4: I don't have $100.
S3: You don't have $100? Do you have any dollars? Personally, no. That's personal. No.
S4: You put me on the spot. No.
S3: You don't.
S4: Have any. No I don't.
S3: Okay, so here's what I'm going to do. Here's what I'm going to do. Okay. I'm going to give you $100 to give me back the $100. Really? Right.
S4: Yeah.
S3: Yeah, yeah. This is just an illustration.
S4: Okay. I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I just got here. I just got here. I just got.
S3: Here. Okay, so now, because, see, I want you to give me what you don't have. So I'm going to give you what I want so you can give it back to me.
S4: Okay.
S3: You got it. Okay, so now I want $100. Now you can give it back to me. Come on, come on, come on, come on, come on. Now, what was the point? You saw the point. God wants something from us. We don't have it. As a matter of fact, this morning, the sister I called up, she had $5 and I said I didn't ask for five. I asked for 100. She said, well, I can't give it to you. I don't have it. I said, and you know what? And there's a lot of people that want to give God their $5 righteous works. Some of you got $6, some of you have 650. None of you have $100. So then what God did for us is he paid the price for us. Now, whenever he sees us, he does not see our sin. He sees his son because we're covered in the blood of Jesus Christ. It's called imputed righteousness. He put to our account what he wanted us to have that we didn't have, and he gave it to us so we could give it back to him what he wanted by faith in the shed blood of Jesus Christ. Let's give her a hand. And so it's the chemistry of the blood. Doctor DeHaan used to say that God can take a brown cow and it eat green grass and give white milk and produce yellow butter. That's the chemistry of God, where he can take the darkness of my sin, wash me in his blood and make me whiter than snow. Yeah. I wonder if you remember this, sweetheart. My wife and I were the first African American members of an all white, over 100 year old Southern Baptist church. And that was a miracle right there. Because I told you before and you know it. I was so racist, I wouldn't even eat white Right, right. I was so racist, I wouldn't even take aspirin because you had to pick cotton out before you got to the hospital. And we became the guy who led us to Christ was not only white, he's southern white, y'all. And we went to his church, and we're sitting there and we're singing. We're singing a song. And, you know, I didn't like him. I didn't like him at first because it's like I'm a jitterbug. And some of y'all don't know what that means. But, you know, I'm a jitterbug, you know? And so even the music I listen to, I very rarely listen to slow music. Amen. So. But, uh. But I'm a jitterbug. So we're sitting there, we sing the song, and Ron Kuykendall, our worship leader, he begins to crack up. And then I understand what he's cracking up about. I start cracking up. Preacher Bob gets upset. What are you guys doing? You're disrupting the service. And we were like, tears rolling out of our eyes. And then I think everybody else began to catch on. And before you knew it, the sanctuary was ablaze in laughter. And so we had to explain to preacher Bob, we're singing a song. Whiter than snow. Whiter than snow. Jesus washed us. Whiter than snow. And Ron looked at me and my sugar babe and said, God missed two people. Yeah, but here it is. Here it is. And he says he's like a lamb without spot. See, now, you know I'm not going deep into it because this would have been two messages or three messages by itself. But he says, as of a lamb the word is amnesty. And in the Septuagint it was used in Exodus chapter 29, verse 38 of the sacrificial lamb, the lamb that you brought for sacrifice. Uh, J. Sidlow Baxter, in the master theme of the Bible. It's a tremendous book. I'm going to read it a second time. He says this. Listen, he says there are ten primary passages where the lamb is specifically mentioned, and then he names all of them in Genesis four. It proves the necessity of the Lamb in Genesis 22. It presents the provision of the lamb in Exodus 12 records. The slaying of the Lamb in Leviticus 16 describes the character of the Lamb in Isaiah 53. The personality of the lamb. John chapter one reveals the identity of the lamb. Acts eight declares the promised Messiah is the lamb. Peter confirms the resurrection of the lamb. Revelation shows the enthronement of the land, and finally, revelation 2122 proclaims the everlasting kingship of the lamb. It's all about the lamb. And he's saying, listen, you need to understand that. Secondly, uh, this wasn't new and improved. He's talking about the plan of redemption was before the foundation of the world. That's the next point. Y'all can go on. It is just the plan of redemption. Who was foreordained before the foundation? In other words, before man ever sinned. God provided that the lamb would come and be slain.
S2: It is all about the lamb. Well, you're listening to Treasure Truth with Pastor Ford. And the first part of a message called The Richness in Redemption. Taking a look at First Peter chapter one. And we'll continue this next time. If you want to make sure that you don't miss it, or you just want to go back and listen to programs again, you can always do that by coming to our website. It's treasure truth Radio.com. You know, pastor, there are all sorts of voices in culture that are bombarding us with messages that are so contrary to God's Word and to what Scripture says. And I think one of the reasons that listeners may want to consider giving a gift to support is that Moody Radio and Treasure Truth can help us stand firm.
S3: Amen. Because Moody Network will give us the gospel straight, no chaser. And we don't want to mix anything with the Word of God, because if you dilute it, you pollute it. And you know, Steve, I went on an all fruit diet. And I gained weight and I couldn't understand what happened. I mean, you know, all I had was apple pie. Peach cobbler.
S2: Aha.
S3: You know, you see where you're going? Here. You get where I'm going. That everything I added to it polluted it and took away his nutritional value. That's what's happening with the word of God today. Hey, Moody encourages all of us not to be politically correct, but to be biblically correct.
S2: Well, you can help us do that to to share the truth of God's Word with those who will come across this program and across Moody Radio by giving a gift. Come to Treasure Truth Radio org and click on the donate button. Thanks for doing that and for listening today. Thanks to our producers, Amy Rios and Ryan McConaughey. For Pastor Ford, I'm Steve Hiller. Treasure truth is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.