S1: Have you got any impossibles in your life? Impossible people, impossible problems. Impossible finances? Maybe an impossible prodigal. Well, Doctor Charlie Dyer has some encouragement for you today in a devotional segment we'll be sharing later on. And before that, a look at current events from the Middle East, a conversation about your Bible questions. And we're going to take a walk on the road to Emmaus. All of that and more in this broadcast, we call the land and the book. Our host is Old Testament scholar and author Doctor Charlie Dyer. I'm John Gager, and did you know that most Jewish people have never heard the gospel? Each week, of course, we talk about Israel and the Jewish people, and it's important to remember that they, like everyone else, need to hear the good news.
S2: That's exactly right. And that's why life in Messiah, a ministry that's been in existence for over 135 years, is devoted to sharing the gospel with Jewish people around the world. And now they're offering a gift to moody listeners. This free e-book, Reaching Jewish People for Messiah, highlights the need for the gospel among the Jewish people. It will equip you with practical ways to share the good News with them. Now, to receive this free e-book, visit Life in Messiah and click on the Moody Radio logo. Sign up today to get your copy. That's life in Messiah.
S1: And now let's swing our focus toward events happening in the Middle East this past week. It has been a week since President Trump's trip to the Middle East. What long term impact could that trip have on the region, Charlie?
S2: Well, one person rather breathlessly compared the impact to the fall of the Berlin Wall, suggesting that an era of confrontation in the Middle East was about to be replaced by an era of economic commerce and cooperation. And certainly the eye watering size of the agreements, estimated in the hundreds of billions or even trillions of dollars does suggest that President Trump approached this trip as a mega business deal, but one fly in the ointment remains Iran. The military hardware sold to the Gulf states was intended in part to help protect them against Iranian threats. A reacting to Trump's visit, Iran's Ayatollah Khamenei said Trump lied when he made claims about creating peace and that America needed to be ousted from the region. He was even more vitriolic in his description of Israel, again calling the Jewish state a lethal, dangerous cancerous tumor that needed to be eradicated. Trump presented a proposal to Iran and the two sides continued their discussion. He called the proposal an olive branch, but said the offer wouldn't last forever. A key sticking point is whether Iran will be allowed to enrich its own uranium, and so far, Iran is refusing to give up its centrifuges. The Gulf states were effusive in their praise for President Trump during the meetings. They do see this as an opportunity to develop stronger economic ties with the U.S. and to draw the US closer as their friend and protector. Now, Israel was somewhat concerned about the meetings since they were excluded from the discussions. Trump's previous trip produced the Abraham Accords and growing trade between Israel and several Gulf states, but Saudi Arabia is still not on board, and they were a central focus in this most recent visit. One surprising the trip, though, was President Trump's meeting with the new leader of Syria. Trump dropped US sanctions on Syria and offered Syria an opportunity to make peace with Israel and join the Abraham Accords. Now those negotiations are underway. Trump's grand bargain for the region envisions greater trade, greater transfer of technology and greater cooperation among all the different countries. But we need to realize that this is the Middle East. All of this talk of peace could quickly collapse to gauge the ultimate success of this trip. We need to watch to see what will happen with Iran and Gaza and Syria.
S1: Well, Libya once again finds itself in the news. What are the details behind all the headlines we're seeing?
S2: Yeah, the most prominent headline was the report that the U.S. is planning to move a million Palestinians to Libya from Gaza. Now, it's not clear if this was simply a possible option being suggested to Libya by the U.S., or if it was seriously being considered. The State Department denied discussions were underway. And likely now that that's come out, those discussions, if they were there, are ended. But under the supposed plan, Palestinians would be incentivized to leave Gaza with the promise of a financial stipend and housing in Libya, though it's not exactly clear where they were going to be settled. Libya has been used as a route for migrants making their way from Africa to Europe. So it's likely Europe would not be in favor of a million Gazans being sent to Libya. Now, there were other news reports out of Libya this last week that were likely missed by most people. We've talked before about Libya being divided into two warring governments, one based in Tripoli to the west, the other based in Benghazi to the east. The government recognized by the U.S. as the one in Tripoli. That government is supported by different militias, including the 444th Brigade and stability Support apparatus. Well, 12 days ago, the head of the stability support apparatus was assassinated by the 444th Brigade. The Tripoli based Government of National Unity then declared a state of emergency in an attempt to restore calm. But a wave of protests against the government erupted, and now several government ministers have resigned and joined with the protesters in calling for the prime minister to step down. So two rival governments, coupled with internal dissent, Libya is still a country in crisis, and any thought of adding a million refugees, perhaps including Hamas and Islamic Jihad fighters, would only add to the tension and uncertainty in that country.
S1: From Moody Radio. This is the land and the book. I'm John Geiger, our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer, noted Old Testament scholar, Middle East expert, nearly lost in all the focus on President Trump's trip to the Middle East was a report that Israeli police arrested nine Jewish men trying to smuggle a goat onto the Temple Mount. Why were they trying to smuggle the animal up there? And what might have happened had they succeeded?
S2: Yeah. To understand this, we need to begin with a passage in numbers, chapter nine. Some Israelites during the Exodus weren't able to celebrate Passover on the 14th day of the first month because they were ceremonially unclean. They asked Moses what they were to do. Moses asked the Lord. And in numbers nine, God instituted what is sometimes called the second Passover, exactly one month later. And now back to recent events. On the 14th day of the second month in the Jewish calendar, this group of nine Jewish men tried to sneak a baby goat onto the Temple Mount inside a shopping bag. Their goal was to offer the animal as a Passover sacrifice in this second Passover on the Temple Mount. Now, guards are always alert to such attempts, especially during Passover. But this group hopes security would be less stringent for the second Passover. Some of the men, including the one with the goat, managed to push their way onto the mount. They were met by Muslim guards there and by the Israeli guards who caught up with them, and all nine were detained. So was the goat, by the way, and no sacrifice was offered. Now, had they succeeded, it likely would have led to rioting within the Muslim community. This isn't the first time someone's tried to smuggle an animal onto the Temple Mount for sacrifice. Thankfully, at least up till now, the Jewish guards at the gates have been able to block all these attempts.
S1: A study of ancient names suggests the northern Kingdom of Israel was more cosmopolitan than the southern Kingdom of Judah. How accurate is this study?
S2: Well, I found this fascinating, but mainly by the way the study was framed. It claimed the northern kingdom of Israel was more, quote, worldly, open, cosmopolitan or diverse than the southern kingdom of Judah, which they described as insular, a displaying religious centralization and political rigidity. So what was the study? Well, it applied modern statistical tools to over a thousand personal names found on seals and jars and pottery fragments from sites in Israel and Judah. Based on the names discovered, the researchers concluded the northern Kingdom of Israel displayed more name diversity than the southern Kingdom of Judah. One of the lead archaeologists said it showed that, quote, Israel was more open to the world, while Judah leaned into internal cohesion and religious uniformity. Now, my problem with the study is that it was presented in a way that suggests that this is some new revelation, and it assumes that the northern kingdom's diversity was superior. But the study really just confirmed what the Bible already says. The northern kingdom of Israel departed from God and tried to become like its neighbors. You see this from Jeroboam setting up his own false worship centers, to Ahab marrying Jezebel from Sidon and making Baal the God of Israel. In the end, Israel was influenced by, in fact, even oppressed by the Phoenicians and the Syrians and the Assyrians. This quote cosmopolitan northern kingdom was judged by God and fell 150 years before the southern kingdom of Judah. Now, in wanting to be like all the surrounding nations, Israel turned from God and was judged by him. And the diversity of names uncovered by these scholars simply Confirms the biblical account. I would prefer to stick with Judah and stay close to God.
S1: Charlie, I want to circle back to this Libya story. Any possibility that at least some Gazans might actually relocate to Libya or somewhere else? You would think that by now, many, if not most, would be happy to be anywhere other than Gaza.
S2: Uh, I think that the State Department has been approaching many countries, including Libya, to see if they would take in some of these individuals from Gaza. And certainly many of the individuals in Gaza would prefer to go somewhere where there would be peace, stability, food, the opportunity to make a living. The problem is, most of the countries, for whatever reason, have refused entry to those individuals except for small handfuls. And I think that's because they're being pressured by by other countries not to do that, because it might be a solution for Israel.
S1: Up next on the land and the book, we're going to talk about God with us. We're going back to the road to Emmaus for a conversation with Jesus and those two who wondered what had happened to him. Don't miss it. Next on the land and the book. It's one of the most intriguing moments in the Gospels. The risen Jesus encounters two travelers on the road to Emmaus. The two are grief stricken over the death of Christ, but they don't recognize him when he actually joins their walk. Eventually, beginning with Moses and all the prophets. Jesus shows them all the scriptures concerning himself. Boy, if only we had been there, right? Well, with just a bit of imagination, we can. Up next, God with us. Bible stories on the road to Emmaus. This is the land and the book. I'm John Gager, and before we head off for Emmaus, let's take a walk with a friend who can help us more effectively share the love of Christ with a Jewish friend. Here's an objection you sometimes bump into when you're sharing Christ with a Jewish friend. Why would I believe in Jesus when his followers Christians have persecuted Jewish people for 2000 years? Tough question. Let's ask that of Levi Hazon, executive director of Life in Messiah.
S3: Well, John, this is really a historical objection that unfortunately has a lot of truth to it. Just a couple centuries after the birth of the church, Gentile believers started to far outnumber Jewish believers. Unfortunately, the Gentile leadership made a lot of decisions that separated the church from the Jewish roots of our faith. What started with animosity and hatred sometimes turned into outright violence. We don't have time to explore the lengthy history of relations between the church and the Jewish community right now, but if listeners are interested in learning more, I encourage them to pick up a book by Edward Flannery called The Anguish of the Jews 23 Centuries of Antisemitism. But when addressing this historical objection, I found the most important things to do are what I call the three A's. Number one, acknowledge. Acknowledge the history that it has taken place. Number two, apologize. Apologize for the terrible treatment that has taken place. There's no point in trying to defend these actions in the number three. Ask. Ask if you can share what Jesus actually did and said about the Jewish people. Jesus loved the Jewish people and willingly laid down his life for their sins.
S1: Great insights from Levi Hazen, Executive Director of Life in Messiah here on the land and the book. Matt Mikalatos, author of God with Us, has been a youth pastor, missionary with crew, and a clerk at a comic book shop. He has a master's degree in Biblical and Theological Studies. Matt is an award winning author who lives with his wife and three kids in the Portland, Oregon area, along with their very large rabbit named Peter. No no no no. I'm sorry. A very large rabbit named Bruce. I had that wrong. I'm so sorry there, Matt.
S4: Bruce will be fine. All right? He'll be fine.
S1: Uh, let's get started here on this book. God with us. There are lots of books out there that try to make the story of Jesus more accessible for children. What drove you to create this one? How is it different?
S4: You know, there are a lot of really wonderful comic book Bibles out there, graphic novels that are basically our illustrated Bibles. And what we wanted to do that was a little different is take stories from the Bible, but put them in the context of another story of Jesus telling the story so that we could see characters interacting with Bible stories, learning, changing, growing like we all do when we interact with Scripture. So that's what we did. That's why we chose the story of Emmaus. Jesus is telling the story to some of his followers, including in our imagined version, a couple kids who are walking along the road with him.
S1: Yeah. So just to frame this correctly, this is a book that is targeted first at younger readers, but also adults as well. In my opinion, anybody who likes a great, great visual approach to the Bible, this is for you too. Wouldn't you say?
S4: Oh, absolutely. I've already been getting notes from seven year olds who love it, as well as adults who said that it really brought to life some things for them about the connections with the Old Testament stories and how they reveal the good news of Jesus to us.
S1: All right. We've mentioned, Matt, that you have a master's degree in biblical and theological studies, and yet you've chosen to have Jesus be the storyteller throughout God with us. Did that at any point give you pause for concern, for example, not wanting to to cross boundaries in telling the story, putting words in Jesus mouth? It would make me nervous. I'll just be honest with you.
S4: For sure. Yes. And I think one of the things that is wonderful, though, if you've ever read the story of Emmaus, you quoted it already, is that it says that Jesus begins with Moses and the prophets and tells them everything concerning himself in Scripture and what that gave me some confidence that if Jesus was saying these things and we can look at the teachings of the New Testament, we can assume, right, that they're building on the things that Christ was revealing to them. So when we're looking at the Old Testament and seeing how it reveals Jesus in God with us, even what we're doing is we're looking for places that the New Testament has already revealed this. So the story of Jonah is a great example where we see in the New Testament it's overtly said. There are connections between the story of Jonah and the story of Jesus. So to have Jesus talk about that is not a stretch at all.
S1: Well, God with us Bible stories on the Road to Emmaus is what we're talking about today here on the land and the book. I'm John Gager, joined by our guest, Matt Michaloudis. And Matt. Like the best of children's books, this one does appeal to adults. I love the way that you simplified things without losing a sense of the profound. I think that's so important. What's your secret here?
S4: You know, my secret was to not try and answer every question, because I think part of the power of a book like this is that you want to drive kids back to Scripture, so when there's something that you can't explain in two pages, it's okay to make them go, I want to pick up the Bible and understand what's happening here, or to go to their parents and say, hey, what's happening in this story? Can you explain it? So my hope all along is that this book will push kids toward deeper spiritual conversations with trusted adults and push them towards Scripture.
S1: Now, how do you go about doing this? You say, here's the script, or so to speak, the narrative of the story. Insert picture of Jesus and or insert, you know, Moses. Uh, here. How did that flow work?
S4: Yes. So when you're writing a graphic novel, the writer explains as well as he can, everything possible. Here's what the picture should look like. Here's the idea. here's the emotion that should be on the page. And then when you have a really gifted artist like I did in this book, David Shepherd, Dave would sometimes not exactly follow my directions if he could make it better, which he often did. And I love that. So you have to trust the people you're collaborating with, that they're also bringing their skills and abilities and their storytelling sensibilities. So yeah, it's really fun. It's really fun to get a page and see. Yeah.
S1: You use the word emotion. Sorry for jumping in there. You use the word emotion. And I would say the artwork has a vibe that kind of projects hope and joy on every page. Tell us more about the the art and the artist as well.
S4: Yeah. So Dave, one of the things he's really gifted at, and I told him this many times, is what I call acting. The characters have so much life and so much emotion. Even looking at the cover, you see Jesus laughing. You see these kids smiling and enjoying each other. The people walking on the road. Dave sadly passed away before the book was finished completely. But just a gifted artist who really brought what I love about the book is you read it and you connect and feel like Jesus is alive, which we know he is. But I think seeing it on the page is really beautiful.
S1: Yeah. For sure. Well, what kind of collaboration or conversation did go on between the two of you at points, as you said, he he maybe strayed just a little bit from what you had suggested. So what's the back and forth like?
S4: Yeah, a lot of that would be done. I would send Dave, here's the script. He would do a breakdown. So rough, rough, rough pencil drawings and send those back. And I would say, okay, I like this. That's not quite right. And then he would do another, more polished draft that was closer. And we'd go back and forth like that, like he would make suggestions. I would take some of them. Others I'd say, I'm not sure that's right. And of course, we had editors involved too, who were coming in and saying, hey, would Jewish people dress that way? Hey, should this guy have a beard? You know, those sorts of things. So we had other people helping us too.
S1: Okay, so these are all digital art files, I presume. Or is he using traditional medium?
S4: He did almost completely digital.
S1: Yeah. Imagine Jesus telling stories about himself in the Old Testament. That's what we're considering today on the land and the book. I'm John Gieger. Our guest is Matt Mikalatos. Why did you feel so committed to a book that would immerse readers in a realistic first century in Israel kind of setting? Matt.
S4: I think it can be really hard for kids, in particular, to feel like first century stories have to do with their life today. And so we really wanted to touch on that. So there's a chapter, for instance, where the kids find a toy merchant and all the toys are first century toys, and there's something exciting about that. Something I think kids look at that and go like, those are cool. Some of those toys are toys I would play with. Yeah. So I wanted kids to feel like they were in that world and that that world was real and would matter to them. It's not some distant thing, but something they could relate to.
S1: Yeah, I'm drawn to that episode in the chosen series where Jesus is with the children and the toys that are present there. That's a real connection issue, I think.
S4: Right, absolutely. And I think, you know, kids are so smart and so insightful. So let's give them a world where kids are smart and insightful as they interact with Jesus and have questions and are learning things.
S1: All right. Let's go to the conversations themselves, the words, the moments that Jesus is sharing as he reveals himself in the Old Testament. What would you say is one of your favorite conversations that unfolded?
S4: I really love the story of Moses and the Bronze Serpent. In this story, Moses raises up a bronze serpent and anyone who looks to it is healed from being bitten by serpents. And what happens is Jesus talks about this story and says in the same way the Son of Man himself is going to be lifted up, and all who look to him will be saved. We don't talk about that a lot in kids books, but it's a really easy and interesting story to talk about. The good news. So I love Jesus, who specifically discussed this in the New Testament, having this conversation with the people with him on the road in this book.
S1: How about another profound revelation of Christ in the Old Testament that has struck you in putting the book together?
S4: I really love the story of Jonah, where we talk about just in the same way that Jonah was in the belly of the fish for three days. So Jesus is going to be in the belly of the earth, right? And then he comes out and speaks true words. The flood is a fascinating one, where we have the story of humanity being saved through the water, and then we see Jesus being baptized. And there's a dove in the Noah story, and there's a dove in Jesus baptism story. Like there's amazing connections where God is saying to us throughout, this is not a new plan. Jesus coming. That has always been the plan. And let me show you that I've been talking about it for thousands of years.
S1: You know, I look at some of these stories and the details associated with them, everything from, as you've pointed out, Moses and and that bronze serpent being lifted up, Christ using that same set of words unless I'm lifted up. That sort of thing. And you think of Jonah in the belly of that fish. Three days. Three nights. Christ in the tomb. And I ask, is that, you know, just sort of a love that God has for artistic symmetry or is it not? I want to make it really, really clear in lots and lots of ways that Jesus really is in the Old Testament. You know, what do you think?
S4: Yeah. I think there's something beautiful about the way human beings interact with stories. And God knows that. And God uses stories throughout human history to say this reveals something about me. There are historical resonances between these stories, but I think also God is coming in and saying, let me tell this story to you in a way that will help you to understand me better. And I think that's pretty amazing. God is choosing to communicate with us in a language that we understand because it resonates with us, because it draws us to him.
S1: You know, Matt, I wonder sometimes if once we're finally in heaven and God is, however, he's going to do it in one great, you know, intellectual blast or layer by layer like an onion peel things away. When we finally truly understand all these things, how much more we will discover in heaven that was revealed of Christ in the Old Testament, you know?
S4: Oh for sure. I think we're going to be in heaven forever. And God is an eternal being, which means the work of eternity will be getting to know God better. I think we'll never run out of things to learn about an eternal being, and I think that's amazing. It's exciting.
S1: What would you say is the best way for listeners to harness the power of this tool? Do you just hand it to a kid or do you share time with them? What's the best way to to use this?
S4: Yes, it might depend on your kid, but the beauty of comic books is that you hand it to a seven year old and they will read it over and over and over. That's what I did when I was a kid. So, yeah, stick it in an Easter basket or give it to them at the end of school one day, or give it to them during school if you're homeschooling. And I think there is value in reading it together. It's fun.
S1: Yes.
S4: But yeah, I think kids would read it on their own. And then if you go and read it and say, hey, let's talk about that book, I really enjoyed it. I think you'll have some really interesting good conversations.
S1: Well, and let me just encourage you, if you're an adult, don't steer away and say, well, that's for kids. It's not for me. I'm an adult, and it's not like I have a stash of comic book collections at home. I don't, but boy did I love this book. God with us. Just the whole idea of of one book trying to capture the conversation that would have occurred with Jesus on the road to Emmaus. It really is a beautiful, beautiful thing and the images are fantastic. I just can't say enough about it. Matt, thank you so much for putting it together.
S4: Thank you John. A real pleasure.
S1: That's Matt Mikalatos, and we'll put a link to his book at our website, The land and the book org. Up next, your Bible questions and our answers here on the land and the book. This is the land and the book. I'm John Gager. And as a regular listener, you know what's coming up. And if you're not a regular listener, well, welcome. Anyway, we're so glad you're here, and we hope you'll become a regular listener. Not just that, we hope you'll share with your friends the existence of this thing we call the land and the book, which also, by the way, conveniently enough, is available in a podcast at our website, the land and the book. Org. You've got friends who don't live anywhere near a radio station that might carry the program, but they can hear it if you'll share the land and the book with them. Thank you for doing that. That said, let me point out the fact that most Jewish people have never heard the gospel. Each week we talk about Israel and the Jewish people for sure, and it's important to remember that they, like everybody else, need to hear the good news.
S5: Life in Messiah, a ministry in existence for over 135 years, is devoted to sharing the gospel with Jewish people around the world. Now they're offering a gift to moody listeners this free e-book. Reaching Jewish People for Messiah highlights the need for the gospel among the Jewish people, and will equip you with a practical ways to share the good News with them. To receive this free e-book, visit Life in Messiah. Click on the Moody Radio logo and sign up to get your copy today.
S1: All right. This segment is all about your questions as you read through Scripture. We'll get right to Ron and his question. He says I was reading first Samuel 16 verses 17 and 18, where it talks about King Saul being tormented by an evil spirit. A servant suggests music so the king will feel better. And then one of the young men said, hey, I've seen a son of Jesse, the Bethlehemite, who was a skilled musician, a mighty man of valor, a warrior, one prudent in speech, and a handsome man. And the Lord is with him. So here's Ron's question. If David is perhaps in his teens or maybe early 20s and has never been in battle, how could he have a reputation as a mighty man of valor and a warrior no less?
S5: Oh, it is a wonderful question. Now, we should keep in mind something important. This comment about David comes from one of Saul's young men. It doesn't actually come as a comment from God. It comes from one of Saul's young men. Now, how did he get this idea? Where did this comment come from? Huh? I think there's a couple of possible ways where this young man thought this. First, David comes from a family with a very strong reputation. He's got lots of older brothers, and they are courageous and they are strong and they are hard working. They are warriors. So I think the young man is assuming if David is anything like his older brothers, right. He's going to be courageous and strong. Secondly, when David volunteered to fight Goliath, Saul objected, saying David was too young and he had no experience. Do you remember what David said? Oh, this is really fun. This is first Samuel 17, verses 34 to 37. David said to Saul, your servant used to keep sheep for his father. And when there was a lion or a bear, and it took a lamb from the flock, I went after him and struck him, and delivered it from his mouth. If he arose against me, I caught him by his beard and struck him and killed him. Your servant has struck down both lions and bears, and this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them. So David has experience in battle with the animals threatening his flock. I think that those victories out in the field, people were talking about them. Yeah. And so he was a warrior.
S1: Okay. I want to ask a timeline question related to David now. And this particular incident seems to me this has to happen before David going to fight Goliath because he's, quote, being introduced to Saul in this setting. Is that is that fair chronology?
S5: Yes, exactly. Right. Exactly right.
S1: Yeah. Okay. So David would have been known first as the harpist.
S5: Yes.
S1: And then the giant slayer.
S5: Mhm.
S1: Okay.
S5: And I think people grow up a little bit faster in the ancient world than they do these days. Yeah. He could have been a teenager who was very strong and courageous.
S1: Altus question do you think that God taught Adam and Eve to read and write when he taught them to speak. It would make more sense, she feels, than the oral tradition theory. I mean, Moses compiled all the writings into one narrative. What do you think?
S5: This is amazing. You know, I had never thought about this, but it's a really good question. On the one hand, it seems to be natural that God would create Adam and Eve as fully fluent. Obviously he can speak to them. Obviously they can understand him. But did that include being able to read and write? I'm sorry. There's just no Old Testament evidence where I can say yes or no. So I have to say, I'm sorry, I don't know.
S1: Yeah. Okay. And I don't know, is is a legitimate answer to a lot of questions that come our way. It's an honest answer. But if you've got a question that you'd like to send our way, you can email Doctor Peterman anytime in care of the land and the book at the land and the book at Eric says, I've been thinking about Psalm 46 verse ten. God says, be still and know that I am God. So here's his question how can I become still and know God? Is this just through prayer? I was wondering exactly how this is done.
S5: Oh, thanks Eric so much for the question. The psalm begins and ends talking about God as our refuge, God as our stronghold. He is the place where we go, where we can find safety. So therefore Psalm 46 verse two says, therefore we will not be afraid, though the earth should change. And though the mountains shake into the heart of the sea. So in other words, when the world seems like it's in serious trouble, God is the place we can go for safety. Now back to verse ten. This verse in particular. Be still and know that I am God. I've gone there many times. Like I feel sick. Like there's relationships in my family that don't seem right. Like the world seems to me like a crazy place. Like I feel stressed because I'm working too hard And now I'm all in a turmoil in my heart and mind. I can just feel it. And then this verse speaks to me. Be still, that is. Don't think that you're in control. Don't think that you have to fix this. Don't think this is all about you. Folks, this is a place where we sometimes go. We think it's all about us. We have to fix it. But I can be still. I can say, all right, I'm going to be okay. And then know. He says, know that I am God. He's the one who's in control, not I. So I'm encouraging Eric to take all his troubles to God and just lay him at his feet. As Peter says, cast all your cares upon him. He cares for you. And just let him be the God who's in control.
S1: You know, the language used here is so dramatic. Some would say, you know, over the top hyperbole. Though the earth give way, though the mountains fall into the heart of the sea. I don't think God is exaggerating. He is speaking the truth. It's it's that dramatic, that frightening. And we can still be still. That's the wonder of it. Not just minor troubles that we know, but.
S5: Oh, yes.
S1: Extreme.
S5: Stuff. Extreme troubles are a place where we can go and we can trust God.
S1: Yeah, well, that's that's reassuring, isn't it?
S5: He's that big. Very reassuring.
S1: Joanna asks if God is omniscient, then how can we have free will? I'm a Christian, but I really struggle with this. Any thoughts?
S5: Well, I can see how we struggle with this. And, uh, years ago I've pondered it and struggled with it myself. It was extremely hard. This is an important question. If God is omniscient, then he knows the future. If he knows the future, then does this mean the future has already been established? Does this mean my choices don't matter? Does this mean I'm not making real choices? My response is no. Let's make sure we affirm two things. First, God is omniscient and God is sovereign. God will accomplish his will. The psalmist says, Our God is in the heavens. He does whatever pleases him. Psalm 115, verse 33.
S1: I want to ask you a moment, a couple of questions about principles for unpacking prophecy. You know, you you come to Scripture. There's a whole lot of of imagery in Daniel and revelation in particular that are exclusively prophetic. What are some right practices that we should look to and maybe some wrong practices? Uh, any thoughts come to mind there?
S5: Read, reread and reread and pray and then repeat. Don't go too fast. Be very slow. Take your time. Read in the context what comes before. What comes later. Read in context. Look for cues or signals as to what's being discussed. Because very often we reread and we slow down. We find some cues or some signals as to what's being read. I think particularly about the beginning of Ezekiel, where he sees a vision of the cherubim and the wheels within the wheels.
S1: Yeah.
S5: And then he describes the eyes and the wings and it's like. And in the beginning of Ezekiel, we don't get an explicit statement about what this is. Keep reading. Because later he will say he sees this vision again. And then he calls it the glory of God, which I saw before. That is that's a vision of the glory of God. So we will get cues if we just keep reading and then keep rereading.
S1: What are some errors that people typically make? Probably the antithesis of what you've just shared here. Not really reading or reading at a surface level. Maybe going too quickly, or maybe reading for a conclusion they already have. What about the idea of ignoring context? I mean, those things all lead to error, do they not?
S5: Yes, absolutely. Every time we ignore context, every time we don't look for definitions within the text itself, every time we're going too fast. Every time we draw conclusions which kind of fit our presuppositions, we run the risk. We run the risk of reaching conclusions that are not helpful or maybe just flat wrong.
S1: Yeah. Well, this has been a great segment and very, very practical, and I hope you've enjoyed it as well. And again, if you've got a question you'd like to get to Doctor Petermann, it's welcome anytime at the land and the book at Moody's. We got one more segment to go. And for many people it's their favorite. Every week it's Charlie Dyer's devotional. It's next right here. From Moody Radio. This is the land and the book. I'm John Gager, and if you've ever been on a Charlie Dyer tour of Israel, you know his very favorite spots. One of them has to be Charlie. I'll let you share.
S2: Uh, the Judean wilderness. My absolute number one place.
S1: I love it, too. And, uh, you just don't get a sense of wilderness until you take that look, until you climb up that incline and stare into the vast nothingness that is still there today. I'll let you get to your devotional after we pause for a quick testimony from someone who has actually seen that spot and many, many others as they've traveled Israel, but they wanted to share this with us.
S6: One of the many reasons why I love traveling to Israel and the Holy Land was not only because I saw sites where Bible history took place, but seeing modern day Israel, seeing prophecies of the Jewish people coming back to the land and the desert blooming was amazing. I saw fields of fruit and flowers in the Israeli irrigation system. But I think the thing that made all of the land so special to me was seeing the places where prophecy will be fulfilled. The Mount of Olives, where Jesus will return in Jerusalem, where he will reign, and the valley of Jezreel, Megiddo, Armageddon, the place where the armies of the nations will gather to march on to Jerusalem. Israel is the place where we can actually go and see where Bible history happened, and where prophecies will be fulfilled.
S1: All right, Charlie, we'll let you get at your devotional for today, The God of Impossibilities. I'm looking forward to this.
S2: Ah, thanks. Well, in the book of Ecclesiastes, an older but wiser King Solomon wrote about life in all its stark, unvarnished reality, in a profound and in fact troubling observation. He noted that what is twisted cannot be straightened. Whether it's a bent paper clip or a crumpled fender on your car, Something that has become twisted and changed can't be completely restored to its original shape. You can get close, but it's never quite the same. What's true of paper clips also seems to be true of life. The innocence of youth all too often becomes jaded, hardened, and scarred by the harsh, abrasive realities of the world around us. Poor choices in life shape, destiny, and direction. The chasms and valleys of anger, depression, disappointment and loneliness carve their way into our very souls and leave us marked for life. Or so it seems. That must be how the people of Judah felt almost 25 centuries ago. Their rejection of God, their pursuit of pleasure, their callous disregard for the needs of others left deep marks on the nation. Eventually, their selfish, sinful choices cost them everything that mattered in life. The nation of Babylon invaded Judah, captured, looted, and then destroyed Jerusalem, and killed or carried into exile the people of the land. Only when it was too late did the people see the awful consequences of their actions. Pain, anguish, suffering, loneliness, depression and hopelessness cut into their very souls. They felt trapped with no hope of escape. But the answer to Judah's feelings of discouragement lay just beyond the summit of the Mount of Olives, in the barren hills between Jerusalem and Jericho. This harsh land, marked by deep serpentine valleys, jagged cliffs and high hills laced with knife edged flint, held God's message of hope for his people in their time of desperate need. Starting on the eastern slopes of the Mount of Olives, this wilderness twists its way down into the Jordan Valley, running along the entire length of the Dead Sea. This is not a wilderness of sand like the Sahara Desert, nor is it a flat, empty expanse that stretches off into the horizon like some other deserts. This Judean wilderness is rough and rugged, a land of deep, twisting gorges carved into chalky limestone. The ground is hard, harsh, unyielding. Patches of brown and black flint sprinkled across the surface seemed to provide the only variations in color. The Judean wilderness exists as a stark metaphor of permanence. Its foreboding hills stood guard when Abraham first entered the land. The same hills watched Joshua lead his army on a daring night march from Jericho to Gibeon. They saw David flee from Jerusalem toward the Jordan River to escape the evil plans of his own son, Absalom. And they watched Satan tempt Jesus as he enticed the Son of God to turn the ever present stones into loaves of bread. The wilderness never seemed to change. The Jewish captives in Babylon felt that their spiritual condition matched the physical condition of the wilderness. It was a picture of the nation's collective soul. They were spiritually dry, exiled from God's source of blessing and surrounded by deep chasms of trouble and difficulty that seem to make any restoration impossible. And just as that barren wilderness never changed, so it seemed that their heartache, sadness, and separation from God would also never change. Sins erosion had carved deep fracturing and scarring their lives. Solomon's words must have haunted them. What is twisted cannot be straightened, at least not by mere human effort. Now imagine the impact the words of Isaiah 40 had on these people. People living in depression, seeing no hope. Every valley shall be raised up. Every mountain and hill made low. The rough ground shall become level. The rugged places a plain. The God of impossibilities used this very wilderness as an object lesson for the people of Judah. Isaiah pictured a day when God would turn desolation into delight, heartache into happiness, pain into pleasure. What seemed to be permanent was only temporary to an all powerful God. But Isaiah was not just speaking about physical hills and valleys. The God who can reverse the ravages of nature is the God who can also heal the scars in a human heart. Isaiah boldly announced that when God comes to rescue his people, no obstacle will stand in his way. What appears to be a problem for us is not a problem for him. God specializes in eliminating every valley and every mountain, including those that seem so powerful or permanent. We can't even begin to imagine how they can be overcome. The prophet looked beyond Judah's temporary troubles to see God's ultimate triumph, and the glory of the Lord will be revealed, and all mankind together will see it. For the mouth of the Lord has spoken. Isaiah offered comfort through the promise of God's presence. Those who were discouraged could look beyond their circumstances and focus instead on the reality of God's comforting presence. He had not abandoned them, and his coming deliverance was certain because God himself was the one making the promise. But what do the words of Isaiah 40 have to do with you today? Perhaps you're struggling with a barrenness in your soul that is just as desolate and seemingly as permanent as the wilderness of Judah. Just like the wilderness, you might believe your life has been permanently scarred by suffering and sadness without any hope of change. But God specializes in changing the unchangeable. That's the message he announced to the people of Judah. And the God who promised to someday fill in every valley, push down every mountain, and smooth over the rough, rugged land in the wilderness of Judah. Can also do the same thing in your heart today. Isaiah began this chapter by offering comfort to those who were discouraged. Comfort, comfort my people, says your God. And the God who can accomplish the impossible also wants to give you that same comfort right now. He specializes in changing the unchangeable. Pause and pray to the God who wants to heal your heart. Then, sometime today, take your Bible and read slowly, carefully and prayerfully. Isaiah chapter 40. And as you do, let his words of hope comfort you.
S1: You know, Charlie, I'm struck by the fact that as you share from Isaiah 40 and what a powerful devotional that was, you're speaking to those of us who know Christ as Savior already. But there are people listening right now who maybe don't. And they want this comfort. They sense their their own desert, their own wilderness. What's their next step, Charlie? To get right with God.
S2: Uh, the first step is to acknowledge their sinful condition. Lord, I've created this valley. I am in this separation from you, I need you. And then it's to turn to Jesus to recognize he was God's son. He came to earth, lived a perfect life. But then his death on the cross was designed to pay the penalty for their sin, and by turning to him, they can experience God's love and forgiveness in their lives. And that's the first step toward reaching that time of trust and fulfillment, and experiencing all the blessings that God has in store for them.
S1: The Bible assures us that whoever calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved. That's open to you. And if you'd like a friend to pray with you and receive Jesus. Now, why don't you talk to a volunteer at eight, eight, eight? That's 888. Need him. Well, we've covered lots of ground today. Maybe you'd like to hear it all again. You can do that. Our podcast is available at the website. The land and the book. All the land and the books. Thanks for hanging out with us today on behalf of our host, Charlie Dyer, our producer, Dan Anderson, I'm John Geiger, and the land and the book is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.