S1: Today on Bold Steps with Mark Jobe, we'll explore how to handle life when the pressure is on.
S2: What's coming out of you while you're under pressure? Is it complaining and criticism and negativity and discouragement and gossip? Or is it I'm going to look to the heavens and raise my voice and bless your name. I'm wondering what's coming out of you under pressure.
S1: Welcome to Bold Steps with Mark Jobe. Mark is founding pastor of New Life Community Church in Chicago. I'm Wayne Shepherd. Well, Mark, everyone responds differently to God's voice. And so today we're going to be looking at the responses of several people in Scripture who encountered Jesus and talk about how we should react not only to God's voice, but also when the pressure is on, especially when the pressure is on.
S3: Yeah. And Wayne, that's the reality is that we don't all respond to God the same way. It's different things that get our attention. In this account. We're going to see a businesswoman. We're going to see a demon possessed young lady, and we're going to see a jailer. They encounter God, but each of them encounter God a different way. And that's the beauty of it. Think of your own story. God reached you in a unique way that's probably different than your husband or your kids or your neighbor. But nonetheless, we have to respond to the voice of God and the noise that God makes.
S1: All right, this comes from the book of acts. We're in chapter 16. Make some noise. I love that title. Here's Mark job.
S2: In acts chapter 16. This is a story of how it all got started. This is a story of people's lives being changed. I'm going to introduce you to three people today. A business woman. High end business woman. A slave girl that was demon possessed. And a jailer that had a powerful encounter with Jesus. You know, the church is very diverse. How about it? If the church is doing its job, it should have people from all kinds of backgrounds. Look around you for a minute. Just take a moment. I know it's rude to stare behind you, but just take a moment to look around this auditorium. Could you do that? Go ahead. Do it. There's some pretty handsome people in this auditorium, right? Good looking people. But there is a huge diversity in this place. Some of you grew up Christians. Some of you never came to a church until recently. Some of you grew up in that side of the tracks. Others grew up in the other side of the tracks. Some of you came to God because your grandmother prayed for you. Some of you came to God because you had a radical encounter with the power of Jesus recently that turns you around, God has a way of bringing many people from different backgrounds to form his body that we call the church. The title of my message is make some Noise, make some Noise. Recently we had a radio broadcast in our chapel, a live radio broadcast in our chapel, and the producers of the radio show, when they went on the air, they were on the sidelines telling the audience to clap. They were based. They basically said in between, make some noise, clap. And so before the show went on, we all clapped and made some noise because they coached us. They wanted people that were listening via the airwaves to know that there was an audience in the place, and the only way they could know is if we made some noise. I was at the United Center a while back watching a Bulls game, and I was in the nosebleed section of the bleachers. And as I was trying to see the ants playing on the court down there, a guy came up and I can only describe him as a cheerleader. He came into our section and he was hired by the United by the Bulls organization to stir up the crowd. And so he had a sign that said clap. And he was stirring people up, and he was going like this. And he kept saying, make some noise, make some noise. And he stirred up the crowd. And so all of that section started to cheer and shout and make some noise. Why were we making noise? Because we wanted the players to know that we were in the house. When we're in the House, we encourage those that are playing the game. You make some noise. And there's times that we have to get loud, make some noise because we believe in something, because there's something that's so close to us that we're so excited about, that we can't contain ourselves and we want to make sure we make some noise. I believe that any time we're in the house of God, it's worth making some noise to the praise of God. So can I ask you? One, two, three, make some noise in Jesus name for the glory and honor of God. Can I ask you to make some noise? Yeah. There you go. Yeah. See? I knew you had it in you. We're just letting the neighborhood know there's something happening right there in that auditorium. We're serving notice to the spiritual world around us. There are some people in the house that are excited about the King of Kings and Lord of lords, whose name is Jesus Christ, the Savior of humanity. Yeah. And so once in a while, we make some noise. But I also know that sometimes under pressure, we all have sounds that we make. And sometimes what comes out of us is aren't always the best. You're in a traffic jam on I-55. Someone's cutting, cutting in front of you. People are honking their horns, and you're feeling the stress and the pressure of having to be somewhere on time. And let me tell you that the pressure's on when you start being squeezed. Sometimes the noise comes out. And for some of us that aren't sanctified, sometimes it's not a sanctified sound. We have a little dog in my house. Her name is Angel. My wife bought her a toy. And it's something interesting with this toy that every time you put pressure on this toy, you squeeze the toy. It makes a squeaky sound. I know that every time you put pressure on it, a squeak comes out of it. And I'm just wondering today that if you're under pressure, if you're feeling the weight of finances, the weight of family issues, the weight of a marriage struggle, the weight of a bad doctor's report, the weight of frustration at work with some coworker. I'm wondering what kind of sound is coming out of you. I'm wondering what kind of noise you're making under pressure. I'm just wondering out loud. Think about it for a second. What's coming out of you while you're under pressure? Is it complaining and criticism and negativity and discouragement and gossip? Or is it Lord, I'm under pressure. So under pressure, I'm going to look to the heavens and raise my voice. And bless your name. I'm wondering what's coming out of you under pressure. Because the verse that stood out of all of acts, chapter 16 to me was verse 25. The apostle Paul and his sidekick Silas have just been beaten with rods, attacked by a mob, clothes stripped off their bloody, they're bruised, they're bleeding, and they're put in shackles, and they're taken and thrown into the darkest part of the prison in maximum security. And look at what it says. About midnight, Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening. Oh, I love that. What happened when they were squeezed? Hymns and praise were squeezed out of them. They made some noise in the middle of their pressure, and when they made noise that glorified God because they were in such a difficult situation, all the prisoners around them started listening to the noise that they were making, because it was unusual that in those kind of circumstances, they would be praising God. So I started looking at this passage and thinking about what God was doing to form this church called the Church of Philippi. There's three people that you see, and they respond to different noises, different sounds. The first one that we see in acts chapter 16, verses 13 through 15, is we see a businesswoman, a high end businesswoman. She would be a businesswoman today that would be selling designer clothes on Michigan Avenue, an entrepreneur, a leader, a smart lady that believed in God but had not known God. The Bible tells us about. Her name was Lydia and she sold purple. She was a dealer of purple clothing which was high in clothing in that time. And Scripture tells us that she had a knowledge of God. She was a worshiper of God, but she had never come to know God. How many of you know, if you look at verse 14, one of the woman listening was from a city called Thyatira named Lydia, a dealer in purple cloth. She was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to respond to Paul's message. This was a woman, a smart, intelligent businesswoman that feared God and prayed to God but had never met God. She had never had an encounter with God through His Son, Jesus Christ. She needed to hear the sound of clear teaching to clarify, to bring her to God. How many of you. How many of you in this place believed in God before you came to know God? You knew about God. You were raised in religion, but you really had never met God. How many of you? Yeah, there's a lot of you. This woman had to hear the sound, the noise of sound teaching to bring her to God. She had to see someone sat down and clearly explained Scripture in a smart, intellectual manner that she could comprehend because she was a businesswoman. So she needed her intellect to be spoken to. She needed it to make sense. She needed someone to prove from the Bible what they were talking about was true. And so Lydia responded to the sound clear teaching of the Apostle Paul as he explained Scripture to her. And finally it clicked in her mind and it made sense. And she came to God. She needed the. The sound of clear teaching.
S1: Listening to the Bible teaching of Mark job here on Bold Steps, we're going to pause for a moment to let you know that we always love to hear from listeners about how God is using Mark in this program to really make a difference in your life today. This ministry of God's Word through bold steps. One of our listeners, John, was kind enough to write and tell us this. He says, my faith and walk have grown tremendously over the 25 years of listening to Moody, and I'm so grateful. From the early days of conversion through remarriage, a couple of job losses, etc., I've turned here for help and support and to enhance my walk with God. Thank you so very much, Mark. You need to cover your ears for this part. But he says Doctor job is tremendous.
S3: Well thank you, John. We appreciate the encouragement. We really do, John, and so many others. It's a reminder that we go through difficult times. It sounds like you've had your share of challenges, but it's the power of the word that continues to reach out and give us second and third and fourth chances. So thank you, John, for giving us that word of encouragement. Keep listening and share it with your friends.
S1: Yep. Thanks for reaching out. And if you would like to reach out to us anytime through our website, just do that at bold steps.org. Tell us your story. Well, let's go back into the message now. Make some noise. Here's Mark job once again.
S2: The second person that we find in this story is the slave girl. She. It tells us in acts chapter 16 that when Paul and Silas were on their way to this place of prayer, in verse 16, it says they were met by a female slave who had a spirit by which she predicted the future. That's called a spirit of divination. She earned a great deal of money for her owners by fortune telling, and she followed Paul and the rest of us shouting, these men are servants of the Most High God who are telling you the way to be saved. She kept this up for many days. This was a slave girl, a young slave girl. In the days of the Roman colonies. Slaves were considered a piece of property. People could kill them, dispose of them, sell them, abuse them, and there would be no criminal charges because they were considered a piece of property, like a piece of furniture would be to the masters. This young girl had a special gift. Her owners had Discovered that she had this capacity to foretell the future. She had glimpses into the future. What would happen her. Her reputation had spread so much that people were coming and paying big bucks for her to foretell their future, as she would be one of the ladies that as you that you pass her house and she would have a neon sign. Psychic reader, come in, let me read your palm. But she was making a lot of money, and her masters were promoting her as a fortune teller. If you want to know your future, come. Let her lay hands on you. Look into your eyes and she will predict your future. Your future. Now, she had a supernatural ability, but it wasn't an ability given to her by God. It was an ability given to her by a spirit. And when she saw Paul and Silas, she recognized the spirit inside of her. Recognized that they were men of God. And so she started shouting out, these are men of God. They have a message from God. They are proclaiming the way of salvation. Now, any casual observer could have concluded that she had the Holy Spirit and not an evil spirit, because sometimes an evil spirit masquerades as the Holy Spirit. How many of you know that? I know people in this. Well, I've talked to a lot of people, and you may be one of them that in your past background you would go to people that had quote unquote, spiritual powers and they would do their heebie jeebie over. You blow smoke, crack eggs. You know what I'm talking about. A little curandera down the street. I'm not going to ask you. How many of you been to. One, because I don't want to know. I'm not sure I want to know. But you've been to that background where and you think, well, she's a spiritual person. Why? Well, she had a Bible and a picture of Jesus as she was cracking her eggs on my stomach and blowing smoke over me and and, and breaking a curse over me. So I just thought she was of God. I thought she was a Christian. The enemy at masquerades as as God himself. Anything that God does, the enemy tries to replicate and duplicate and imitate, to confuse believers. This woman had a spirit of divination. She was able to tell the future. And then the Bible says, I love this because it's the apostle Paul it's talking about. And it tells us that in verse 18, she kept this up for many days. Every time Paul and Silas passed, she would follow them, saying, these are men of God. Listen to their message. They bring the way of salvation. And then it tells us in this verse that finally it says, finally Paul became so annoyed. Aren't you glad that Paul became annoyed? Isn't good to know a man of God that wrote a bunch of books in the Bible gets angry. Paul became so annoyed that he turned around and he said to the spirit, in the name of Jesus Christ, I command you, come out of her. And at that moment her spirit left. Now, there's a couple of things I really like about this passage. First of all, sometimes we have to get so annoyed that we actually do something about a situation some of us tolerate a lot, until we become so annoyed that finally the holy boldness of God kicks in and we actually take a bold step that we probably should have taken a week ago, or a month ago, or three months ago. How many of you know what I'm talking about? Sometimes we have to get annoyed and listen to me. Anger is not a sin. It's what we do with our anger that become that becomes sinful. Anger is an emotion. And God has foreordained and created anger to give us a burst of energy. If anger is used in the right way, it gives us a burst of energy to take actions that we normally wouldn't take but that we need to take. Paul became angry, annoyed, and he turned around to the slave girl that was shouting at them and he said, in the name of Jesus, how many of you know there's power in the name of Jesus? In the name of Jesus. It's like when they tried to, the seven sons of Siva went and cast out. They were casting out demons in Jesus name, even though they weren't believers in Jesus yet. the demons recognize the name of Jesus. There is power in the name of Jesus Christ, the righteous One. Paul said, in the name of Jesus, come out of her. And at that very moment, this young girl that had had the spirit of divination given to her by a spirit that was oppressing her at that very moment, this young girl was liberated from that oppressive spirit. Now, for Paul, it was a victory. But for her masters, it was a defeat because suddenly what they were using to earn money, she lost her power to foretell the future. And so the Bible says that her masters became very angry at Paul and Silas. Don't mess with an unrighteous person's money because that will stir up a riot. They didn't care about this slave girl, but when they stopped earning money, then suddenly they were ready to cause a riot. You know, sometimes the world is that way. You know that right now people don't care that much what we believe in. People don't care that much what we preach about, but mess with the income. And then suddenly there's a riot. Oh, they not they might. They got the pimps on 47th Street. May not care what we believe. May not care that this is a church here, but you start converting prostitutes and having them leave that lifestyle and come to God, and then suddenly the unrighteous have a problem with the church because they're losing their income and their money. How about it? I believe when the Church of God begins to take influence in a city, and when we begin to change the culture of a city, then we begin to change the way people make money in a city as well. And the righteous begin to prosper, and the unrighteous begin to have less prosperity, because the kingdom of God brings about a cultural change. And sometimes people resent that when it begins to happen. And so we have a businesswoman that she had to hear the sound of sound teaching. We have a slave girl that she didn't need teaching. Even if they would have given her teaching, she would have been blind to it. What she needed is the sound of a power encounter. Paul had to shout, be set free in the name of Jesus. She didn't need a Bible study in which she was being taught the Word of God in depth. Word of God. She needed a power encounter with God. You see, we all come to God different ways.
S1: You're listening to Bold Steps, the Bible teaching ministry of Mark job. And we'll continue with part two of this message titled Make some Noise next Time. So make plans to keep listening. And if you miss any part of today's message or if you want to catch up, you can listen to this program wherever you are just by downloading our podcast. Simply open up your favorite podcast app and click the subscribe button. You'll find us listed as bold steps with doctor Mark Jobe, and it only takes a few seconds to make sure you don't miss a minute of these daily biblical messages. To learn more, visit us online at bold steps.org. Mark. A lot of people feel drawn to Jesus, perhaps, but there's just something holding them back. A question they can't get past or a doubt they've never had answered. I'm sure you encounter this, don't you?
S2: Yeah.
S4: As we talk to people about Jesus and about the gospel, sometimes there's lingering questions that become roadblocks or stumbling blocks to people embracing Christianity. Mhm. And maybe you have a son, a daughter, a friend, a coworker that gets stuck on, you know, things like, how can God be good when I see so much evil and suffering around us? Or, you know, I've been taught evolution, you know, does evolution contradict that? There is a creator God.
S1: Or the fact that I have doubts I can't possibly come to Jesus if I have doubts.
S4: Yeah, many of us struggle with those things, and our monthly gift offer today is the case for Faith by Lee Strobel, who was a investigative reporter for a major newspaper in Chicago, and his own struggle with doubt led him to explore. And as an investigative reporter, he actually came to the conclusion that, wait a second, God is true. The Bible is real. Jesus is the way. And so he tackles these issues from that mindset. And I think a lot of people would find that helpful.
S1: Well, request your copy. When you give a gift of any amount to support bold steps, give online at bold steps.org or call us at 800 D.L. Moody, that's (800) 356-6639. You can also send your gift and request the case for Faith in the mail. Just write to us at Bold Steps, 820 North LaSalle Boulevard, Chicago, Illinois, 606 ten. And as you head into the weekend, we'd like to leave you with one more invitation to become a bold partner. The monthly contributions of our bold partners are what makes it possible to keep bringing these daily messages to you and to new listeners around the world. When you give $30 or more each month, we'll thank you with a signed copy of Mark's book unstuck. There are some major discounts that Moody Publishers available and the exclusive Bold Partner. Post a weekly video message from Mark. Sign up today at bold steps.org. That's all the time we have. I'm Wayne Sheppard, inviting you to join us again. When Mark explains what you can do to draw others to God through you. That's coming up Monday on Bold Steps with Mark Jobe. Bold steps is a production of Moody Radio, a Ministry of Moody Bible Institute.