S1: She grew up in the suburbs of Chicago, but then moved to southern Israel. Deborah's first hand account of life on the Gaza border and the October 7th attack is chilling, but today she also shares disturbing evidence of how hatred for Jews is instilled in the youngest of Palestinian children. This is an eye opening conversation I promise you'll be sharing over dinner, so join us now for the land and the book. Middle East expert and author Doctor Charlie Dyer is our host. I'm John Gager, and no surprise that Israel has been in the news a lot over the last year. And as we know, the Bible is jam packed with end times prophecies about epic world events, the regathering of the Jewish people to their ancient homeland, and Jesus returned. It is crucial, though, for us as believers to have a proper understanding of Bible prophecy. Why? So our view of the future is shaped by Scripture, not today's headlines. Boy, Charlie, I think that's critical.
S2: I think so too, John. In fact, with this in mind, our friends at Life in Messiah have published a book titled God, Israel and Bible Prophecy, and they're offering it to listeners of the land and the book for a limited time. This informative book is focused on providing readers with a deeper understanding and greater appreciation of what God has in store for Israel and the nations by digging into what the scriptures say about these issues. If you're interested in learning more about what God has in store, visit Life in Messiah. Org and click on the Moody Radio button there to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: If this is your first time with us, the land and the book is divided into four segments. This first one devoted to current events from the Middle East. Israel's current government seems to be moving closer, Charlie, to dissolving over multiple issues, including the cease fire talks with Hamas. What might the future hold for Israel in terms of new elections?
S2: You know, right now Israel needs to be united against all the threats it faces. But petty bickering and party politics are once again on the rise there. Those in the opposition in the Knesset seem to be using every opportunity to attack Netanyahu's policies and his character. Following the assassination attempt on Donald Trump, an Israeli government secretary presented a compilation of video clips showing opponents of Netanyahu deriding him as a traitor, as Satan, as an enemy of the people. Some threatened violence against him, including one who said, if the hostages aren't brought home, we'll be waiting with a noose. Those are shocking. But the real shock was the response of the head of the opposition, who slammed Netanyahu for allowing the concern to even be raised, calling him a crybaby and a coward. Another member of the opposition predicted that Netanyahu will dissolve the Knesset and call for elections in November. That individual has also been meeting with former Prime Minister Naftali Bennett to discuss strategy for replacing Netanyahu. A recent poll suggests a right wing coalition led by Naftali Bennett could possibly unseat Netanyahu. The problem is that each of the parties in such a coalition is led by an individual who also wants to be prime minister. Perhaps more worrisome, though, for the current government, is the disunity within the coalition itself. After the failure of the so-called rabbis Bill last month, some ultra-Orthodox lawmakers say they can no longer rely on Netanyahu to look out for their interests, and Ben-Gvir and his party have refused to back any bills unless he's given a seat on the now disbanded War Cabinet. The leader of the Shas party called Ben-Gvir an inflated balloon, and he responded by calling the leader of Shas a lap dog of the left. This kind of animosity within the coalition is paralyzing the legislative process. Whether it's going to be a ceasefire agreement with Hamas or the military draft of the ultra-Orthodox or upcoming budget negotiations, or a number of other contentious issues, something could soon bring about a no confidence vote in the government, and that will then lead to new elections.
S1: And what about the impact of all of this on the current conflict with Hamas?
S2: Well, it's giving Hamas hope. They are being defeated militarily. But as they look at Israel's disarray, they know if they can hold out just a little bit longer, perhaps the government will collapse. And that's the sad part. When there's not unity. It really does give comfort to the enemy.
S1: Another disturbing observation here Russia has been growing closer to Islamic countries like Syria, Iran and Turkey. But is this because they share strategic interests in the Middle East, or are other factors also drawing them closer?
S2: You know, we've said before, Russia, Iran and Turkey do share strategic interests in the Middle East. They want to form a new axis of influence that will push the United States out of the region and allow them to dominate. Of course, each country has its own vision of what a change ought to look like, with each seeing itself as the dominant power. Erdogan from Turkey, wants to rebuild the old Ottoman Empire, a Sunni caliphate, with him at the helm. Iran wants to rebuild a Shiite version of the ancient Persian empire extending from Iran to the Mediterranean Sea, while dominating the Persian Gulf region and obliterating the Jewish state. Russia wants to keep the Shiites and Sunnis in equilibrium by extending its influence among the more moderate Islamic states like Syria, Egypt, and the Gulf states. But Russia is also facing a serious internal problem that could upend all of Putin's plans. And Islamic time bomb is ticking within Russia itself. In 1991, the Soviet Union had 120 mosques. Over the next 20 years, that number exploded to over 8000 and continues increasing in the next 15 years. It's very possible that the majority population in cities like Moscow and Saint Petersburg will be Muslim, the imam of the Grand Mosque of Moscow said Muslims have a great demographic mission due to the high birth rate to make Russia a muslim majority country. In 1959, 6% of the Russian's population was Muslim. By 2020, that had grown to 15%, and the trend is accelerating. Seven of Russia's 22 republics already have an Islamic majority. Putin might indeed have a goal for Russian dominance in the Middle East, but the dramatic population shift within Russia itself could change the face of Russia before Russia is able to change the face of the Middle East.
S1: Well, if you just joined us, this is the land and the book from Moody Radio. Our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer, working us through a list of current events stories all based in the Middle East. Last week you talked about problems in Egypt, including a potential conflict with Ethiopia over the dam that they're building across the Nile River. Could that conflict over this dam far to Egypt's south ultimately impact Israel? Help us connect all these different geographical dots?
S2: Yeah, the dots do seem unrelated, but they could indeed impact Israel. We know Egypt is struggling financially. They're also concerned about Ethiopia's new dam that it could reduce the flow of the Nile River, which is Egypt's main water source. They've threatened to prevent the dam being completed, but the dam is located about 800 miles south of Egypt's southern border. Egypt's air bases are all located in the north around Cairo and in the Sinai Peninsula. So as much of their army to protect the capital and to guard against Islamic insurgents in Libya and in Sinai. If Egypt's going to mount a credible military threat against the dam, it'll need to reposition some of its forces away from the north toward its southern border. Now, that could impact Israel two ways. First, it could allow ISIS, al Qaeda or other Islamic groups to rebuild on the Sinai Peninsula next to Israel. And second, it could upend potential plans being discussed for Israel's ceasefire with Hamas because that could involve having Israel cede control of the corridor between Egypt and Gaza to the Egyptian army. Israel is still uncovering all the tunnels Hamas had there to smuggle in weapons and supplies. By taking this border region, Israel choked off that supply of weapons. Egypt was already doing a relatively poor job of stopping weapons entering from its side of the border. And if they're forced to move troops to the south while also resuming full control of that corridor with Gaza, it could open the way for Hamas to rebuild the tunnels and resupply its forces, depending on Egypt, to choke off Hamas's supply lines into Gaza, in addition to everything else Egypt is facing, could be a recipe for future disaster.
S1: Doesn't sound good. Well, researchers in amazing Israel have discovered self-repairing glass. What exactly is self-repairing glass and what could its impact be on both technology and on everyday life?
S2: Yeah, this discovery changes our concept of glass. If we think of glass as a hard but relatively fragile substance that once it's chipped or cracked or broken, can't be mended unless that glass is reheated till it becomes molten and then recast. Israeli researchers were studying sequences of amino acids, and during their research, they discovered a unique peptide that behaves differently from anything previously discovered. It formed a pattern that is like liquid glass on a molecular level, but with mechanical properties that are solid like. It forms into glass spontaneously at room temperature, without the need of extreme heat or pressure. So what kind of impact might it have in real life? Rather than polishing and grinding lenses for glasses, they were able to dip the liquid onto a surface and control its curvature simply by adjusting the solution volume, and the glass was as transparent as ordinary glass would be. Should cracks form in a glass, they can be restored instantly with the touch of water at room temperature. Imagine discovering a recyclable, self-healing, optically transparent glass that can also act as a glue. Beyond the common applications for optics, the scientists believe the new discovery could revolutionize electro optics, satellite communication, remote sensing, and even biomedicine. Self repairing adhesive glass. It seems hard to imagine. Unless, of course, you're a scientist at Tel Aviv University in amazing Israel, shattering.
S1: The bonds of technology. Thank you Charlie for that. Look at current events. Boy, a great conversation coming up next. Life on the Gaza border. What's it really like to live there? What was it like on October 7th? You'll hear it all firsthand as we talk with Deborah. That's our segment next on the land and the book, and our website is The Land and the book.org. Before the October 7th attack, before Gaza found its way onto everybody's map, there were Israelis living peacefully near the border. What was life like for them back then? You're about to hear a first hand account from someone who lived just two miles north of the Gaza border. Welcome back to the land and the book. I'm John Gager. Let's say hi to today's guest, Deborah Ben Aderet. Good to have you with us.
S3: Thank you. Thank you for having me, Deborah.
S1: You grew up in the suburbs of Chicago, where you were raised in a conservative Jewish home. As an adult, you became an active member of AIPAC and other pro-Israel organizations. I understand in 2012, though, you quit your job in Chicago's Merchandise Mart, where I walk by just about every week, I come in to Moody. You sold your car, rented out that Lakeview condo, and then along with your two cats, I'm wondering how they made the trip. You made Aliyah moving to Israel a year later, I guess you met the Israeli man who would become your husband. And so you guys left Tel Aviv. You moved with him to the southern city of Ashkelon. And that is, I think, kind of where today's story begins. We're honored to have you with us today on the land and the book.
S3: Deborah, thank you for having me.
S1: So describe Ashkelon where it's at.
S3: So Ashkelon is the southernmost city north of Gaza, if that makes sense. So it's not a lot is the southernmost city in Israel if you're looking at a map, but Ashkelon is on the water and it's about five, six miles north of Gaza on the water.
S1: And it's a beautiful city.
S4: It's beautiful.
S1: Modern, um, a lot of high rises.
S3: A Marina, beautiful Marina with shops and restaurants, and it's really getting very built up and more and more touristy.
S1: Yeah, yeah, for sure. We were just there a couple of months ago. You and your husband moved to the south of Israel with the best of intentions. What was life in the Ashkelon area like before the war?
S3: I was a little concerned, moving to a city that was kind of close to Gaza. Yes, but I wasn't overly concerned. There wasn't a history of, you know, wars that had reached Ashkelon. So the House did have a safe room, and it was lovely living there. But we did live there through the protective edge War. I was eight months pregnant with my first, and I spent a lot of time in that safe room where you get about 30 to 45 seconds, maybe when rockets come. That had to.
S1: Be unnerving and maybe got you thinking.
S3: It got me thinking like we are kind of close to the Gaza border. And thank goodness we had that safe room because most houses didn't come with that. My husband's parents live in Ashkelon. He has two sisters in Ashkelon. Their homes do not have one.
S1: Deborah Ben Aderet joins us today on the Land and the book. She shares firsthand experiences of life on the Gaza border. Two years later, while pregnant with your second child, you and your husband built a home in Kibbutz Zikim, about two miles north of the Gaza border. Tell us of another sobering Hamas incident that you encountered there. Anything come to mind?
S3: We had several wars, quote unquote, that you won't even hear about in the media here. You probably didn't hear that in May of 2021. We were evacuated for two weeks because Hamas started a rocket barrage, and we were evacuated for two weeks. They also started over the last few years, sending over bouquets of incendiary balloons, Mickey Mouse balloons, aiming them at our at our children. You know, here comes a bouquet of Mickey Mouse balloons. You have to teach your kids stay away. Because Hamas started burning acres and acres of our land. And you won't really see that anywhere either. Killing wildlife and killing the crops that we grow to feed them, to truck in to Gaza. You know, so so there was I don't want to call it daily terror, but when they were feeling riled up, we would all suffer from it. It was just sort of how you live on the on the border.
S1: Some listeners might say, look, at this point, you've already had more than a taste of what Hamas is capable of. Why not move away?
S3: Exactly. Why do you live on the Gaza border? I get that now and then. I do not get that from people that have been there because it is gorgeous. And when Hamas is not acting up, why would you not live there? Right? We built a gorgeous home, what, half a mile from one of Israel's most beautiful beaches? Um, a kibbutz means we don't have stop signs and stoplights and crazy traffic. You know, it's a sweet community where you can send your kids out. You want to play with your friend, and you open the front door and you send your kids out. We have cows. We have a petting zoo, the daycares, you know, picnic every day. It's a wonderful place to go and raise your kids. But you do start to question, wait, why are we staying.
S4: Life.
S1: On the Gaza border? That's our conversation today on the land and the book. I'm John Yeager. Our guest is Deborah Ben Aderet. Take us to the October 7th attack. What was that like for your community?
S3: We went to sleep on the sixth like any other night. On the seventh, I was awoken to a huge explosion and that's not unusual. So I was just going to go back to sleep because we have 5 to 8 seconds to get to our bomb shelter. When we hear the rocket alert, we don't hear it very well. In our community, where we live, where we built our home in the kibbutz, you don't hear it very well. So I didn't hear it. I slept through it. And by the time you hear the explosion, it's really too late to go into the bomb shelter. It means the rocket hit or it means the Iron Dome intercepted it. But either way, it's a huge explosion, and it's done. And it's too late to go to the safe room. So my husband said, let's go, let's go. And I said, it's too late. And I rolled over to go back to sleep because we're used to this. And then it really started coming like a barrage, like a lot. And we said, okay, let's go to the safe room. So we spent the first few hours in the safe room, and then we heard doo doo doo doo doo doo doo, machine gun. And then we knew this is not normal. Something else is happening. Soon after that, we got a message from our kibbutz security saying there have been ground infiltrations, not in Zikim, but there have been ground infiltrations. Stay in the safe room. And at this point, we knew something really horrible is happening. And then we lost all cell reception and phone reception. So we didn't have internet. I didn't get the rocket alert on my phone. I couldn't hear in real time when it was really happening. I didn't know what was happening outside. All we knew was there's rocket barrages, there's gunfire that we don't know what it is, and there's been infiltration. We were told to go around and lock up our house and stay in our safe room. I think we didn't have the infiltration because 50 terrorists tried to come up through our beach that day. They managed to kill 41 of the 50 terrorists, but nine did infiltrate our beaches and our beaches like half a mile from us, right? Because we're close to the water. Nine of those terrorists came up through the beach, killed everyone they saw, slaughtered everyone they saw, continued on to our army base, had a big fight there, and then continued to try to infiltrate our kibbutz. And at that time, some of the security in the army base alerted our security guy. We have one. We have one security guy alerted him that terrorists on foot or in a stolen truck are on their way to our kibbutz. That's about a minute drive, maybe 45 second drive. And in that time, our one security guy managed to round up a team of our kibbutz members. These are just regular people who are in the reserves or have a gun from when they were in the reserves. And it is because of this very small staff, 5 or 6 guys that I'm here today. And the doo doo doo doo doo that we heard was our security shooting at Hamas after they had thrown a grenade at our guys trying to kill our guys and blow through our gate. Wow.
S1: Yeah, boy, what a story.
S3: And we're in the safe room the whole time not knowing what's happening, you know, really? Right outside my daughter's bedroom door.
S1: Well, this impact has made a significant change in your family's trajectory.
S4: Talk about that. Yeah.
S3: So like I said, we had been considering moving further north a few years ago. I never would have thought October 6th was the last night I sleep in my own bed, but it was. We were all evacuated the next day, my community was evacuated to a hotel in Jerusalem, and about two and a half weeks into that, living in a. It sounds nice living in a hotel. It's four of us. I have two young girls. We're all sharing one room. We get three meals a day, but it's mobbed because we're with our community. We're with other communities. It's not fun, you know, after two and a half weeks, my husband said, take the girls and just go back to the Chicago suburbs, because this is going to be a while. And we came back to the Chicago area. I put my girls in school. We've been here since then, and my husband and I have decided we're not going to live in this house again. And it breaks my heart because we built it from scratch. I picked out every door handle. I laid out tiles myself. I mean, we built this house from scratch. We have avocado trees, mango trees, macadamia, I mean gorgeous, gorgeous yard. And when we go back, we're going to move further north. But you need to remember that Israel is the size of Lake Michigan. Nowhere in Israel is totally safe. Iran sent 300 missiles a few months ago, and the only reason Israel is still on the map is the Iron Dome system. So now, instead of 5 to 8 seconds to get to a safe room, I think we're going to have a minute. But it's not out of the question. Everyone's surrounding us, wants to kill us all the time.
S4: So, you know, this.
S1: Attack did not come out of a vacuum. Um, and, uh, it's shocking to understand when you peel back the layers, the level of hate that exists inside of Gaza toward Israel. I want to play for you now the audio from a 32nd video clip. This is footage obtained by the Middle East Policy Research Center. You're about to hear from three young Palestinian boys, ages nine to about 11. I'm going to let them each begin, and then I'm going to share a translation of what they're saying. I want you to listen to this closely with me.
S5: You can check out the stream.
S1: The first boy is saying I'm in favor of the stabbing operations because they scare the Jews. Here's boy number two.
S6: And then.
S1: We are fighting the Jews to get our lands back, he's saying. And this is through terrorist acts. Like stabbing, trampling, shooting. Boy number three.
S6: At a time. And I'm I'm.
S1: I'm in favor of the stabbing operations. I support anyone who stabs them or thinks of stabbing them. And he adds, to sum it all up, I'm for it. Deborah, how come the world does not hear and see more of this footage? Why is this part of the story left untold?
S3: That's a question I ask every day. It doesn't fit the narrative. It doesn't fit, in my opinion, the anti-Semitic bias narrative that Israel is the bad guy. The truth of what is going on is that Hamas is indoctrinating these kids at a young age. My my girls are seven and nine, and they go to camp and braid hair and do art projects and swim. There's proof there's videos there. Kids go to camp and learn how to be terrorists. And you see these five, six, seven year old kids. This is their goal. The textbooks in Gaza do not show that Israel exists. It's Palestine. I mean, this is indoctrinated in them. I'm not saying every single person in Gaza wants to be a terrorist, but this is this is training. This is where it begins, right at home and at school. So this is a huge, huge problem. What are you going to do with a population that for 20 years has been under the control of terrorists who teach it to their children? It blows my mind why this doesn't get shown in the world. It's child abuse. It's child abuse. It blows my mind and I'm trying so hard to figure out the why. And I'm telling you that the only thing I can think of is it doesn't fit, really, the anti-Semitic anti-Israel narrative. It doesn't fit the narrative.
S1: Well, listeners to the land in the book want to make a difference, Deborah. But we feel, I think, rather powerless. We're praying for the peace of Jerusalem, as we're told in Psalm 122 six, what can we do as concerned Americans beyond that?
S3: You're doing it right here, that you're interviewing me, that you're visiting Israel, that you're spreading the word. This honestly, is just seeking out the truth. There's truth and there's the media, unfortunately, and I almost have to say, I don't blame people that aren't seeking out the truth and are sitting down. We think that we're getting the news. We're trusting the news. We're trusting the media. If you don't have a connection to Israel, to the Jewish people, to the Christian people, the Muslim people, if you don't have a connection to to the history and to the land and to the the truth, and you just sit down and turn on the news, that's what you're going to see in Israel is not perfect. I'm not saying Israel is perfect. I'm not saying the government is perfect. I'm not saying, you know, the Jews are better than anyone, but there's facts and there's history. And I really just encourage people to please seek it out. Don't get on to TikTok and get all sucked into, you know social media is good and bad. And in this scenario, the bad is that it feeds you what you want to see. So if you're going to get on that anti-Israel bandwagon, woohoo, Palestine, that's what you're going to keep seeing. I just encourage people to please seek out the truth, seek out, you know, watch the news from Israel. You can go online. You can watch I24 news. I watch the daily briefings that are coming out of the government office in Israel. On YouTube. You can find the daily briefings. I get a lot of my news that way. So that's what you could do and what you're doing. Just spread the word. Interview people, ask people, you know, in the beginning when I started speaking, I was mostly speaking just to to Jewish communities. And I thought, well, they obviously already support, I have to get out to other communities. But then I thought, that's not even the right way to think, because everyone knows 100 other people, who know 100 other people who know 100 other people, and somebody in there is going to deny this or going to be on the wrong side or not be educated. So that's my long answer. But there's something I know. It's a helpless feeling, but that's what everybody could be doing.
S1: That's good advice. Thank you Deborah, appreciate your time, your story and your honesty with us here on the land and the book.
S3: Thank you so much for having me. Keep up the good work.
S1: And we're looking forward to our next segment. It's Charlie Dyer back. You know what it is. Questions and answers right here. Thank you for making the land and the book part of your day. Our host is Doctor Charlie Dyer. I'm John Gieger, and in this segment we take a look at your questions. But you know, first this quick thought, Israel has been in the news a lot over the past year. And as we know, the Bible is jam packed with end times prophecies about epic world events, the regathering of the Jewish people to their ancient homeland. And and of course, Jesus soon returned. It is crucial, though, for us as believers to have a proper understanding of Bible prophecy. So our view of the future is shaped by Scripture and not just today's headlines or our own whims. Right, Charlie?
S2: That's right. And with that in mind, our friends at Life and Messiah have published a book titled God, Israel and Bible Prophecy, and they're offering it to listeners of the land in the book for a limited time. This informative book is focused on providing readers with a deeper understanding and greater appreciation of what God has in store for Israel and the nations by digging into what the scriptures say about these issues. If you're interested in learning more about what God has in store, visit Life in Messiah. Org and click on the Moody Radio button there to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: All right. Question number one is fascinating. A lot of people have wondered about this. So Charlie, here it is. We're Ishmael, Adam and Eve saved.
S2: Yeah. Let me start with the Adam and Eve. I think that's easier to answer. The fact that God clothed them with animal skins in Genesis, I believe, is more than just a picture of God as the ultimate tailor. God had an animal die to provide a covering for their nakedness and by extension, for the sin they had committed. I believe that's a picture of the ultimate sacrifice God would provide for the human race. But the fact God provided it and they accepted it, would indicate to me that they experienced his forgiveness. Now it's more difficult to say with Ishmael, though. I like to believe he was a man of faith, and I base that on some rather vague references. In Genesis 17, for example, Abraham expressed a wish that Ishmael might live under God's blessing, and God told Abraham he had heard him and that he would bless Ishmael. Now, what follows is primarily physical in nature, but I would hope that there was a spiritual component to that blessing. And I also note, when Abraham died, both Isaac and Ishmael joined together to bury him at the cave of Machpelah. That same chapter then describes the nations that descended from Ishmael. So the Bible presents Ishmael in a positive light, faithful to his father, in good relationship to his brother, and being blessed by God. And while the blessings again are primarily physical in nature, it's possible they flowed from a heart of faith and were matched by God's spiritual blessing as well.
S1: Another question that looks forward can believers in heaven see what we are doing down here on earth? Bob wants to know.
S2: Yeah, and the Bible doesn't clearly say, one way or another, that those in heaven can see what's taking place here on earth. Uh, where the Bible is silent. Then I think we need to tread very carefully that we do know from the parable Jesus told of the rich man and Lazarus, that those who died have a conscious existence, and in the case of that rich man, might even include concern about those who remain behind on earth. Remember, he asked, to be able to go back and warn his brothers of what was coming. Now we know in revelation six, uh, the fifth seal is opened. It says, martyrs in heaven. Ask God when he's going to intervene and judge and avenge their wrongful deaths. But we're not told that they have an opportunity to see what actually happens. So here's the real question. Once we're actually in heaven and we're seeing it's indescribable beauty, and we're in the presence of God and the Lord Jesus, and our eyes are open to see the millions of angels and all of those wondrous things. Will we even want to look back to see what's happening here on Earth? I tend to think of that old gospel song, and I think it got it right. And the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of his glory and grace.
S1: Jonathan wants to know what is the need for a new heaven if there is no sin in heaven now?
S2: Yeah, and actually, the Bible doesn't say there's no sin in heaven. The Bible actually depicts different realms that we collectively call heaven. You know, we we know the atmosphere around us is called heaven. You know, in the beginning, God created the heavens plural and the earth. Uh, in Ezekiel 28, Satan is described as an anointed cherub who dwelt on God's holy mountain until he sinned. And that's actually picturing him in heaven. And by the time Satan appears in the Garden of Eden, he'd already sinned. So sin actually originated in heaven. And the passage says, God drove him out of the Mount of God, which must refer to that highest part of heaven where God's dwelling place is. But Satan still had access to at least part of heaven. You know, in job chapters one and two, he appeared before God in heaven to accuse job. Uh, in revelation 12 we're told about a future war in heaven when Satan and his angelic followers are finally banished from all of heaven and cast to earth. So all of that, to answer the question, why a new heaven and new earth? Well, God's indicating that he intended his creation to be perfect, and ultimately he's going to accomplish that in his new heaven and earth. This includes his plan for the created realm, for heaven and earth itself, for the angelic realm, and for humanity. I love the phrases that are in revelation. There'll be no more night. You know, darkness began in Genesis. There'll be no more sea, and waters covered the earth. In Genesis, he says, there'll be no more sin. There'll be no more death. There'll be no more tears. So everything that, uh, that God intended in the original creation of heaven and earth will be accomplished in that new heaven and new earth. And that's why God says it's coming.
S1: It's the land. And the book from Moody Radio, our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer, answering your Bible questions like this one from Joyce. Can Christians today claim God's Old Testament promises to his people?
S2: Yeah, and this might come as a surprise, but not all promises given in the Bible are for all people. Now here's what I mean. Some are given to specific individuals. You know, God promised through Eli that Hannah would give birth to a son, and he promised through Elisha that the Shunammite woman would have a son. Now, those were specific promises to specific people, and someone who wants a child today can't automatically claim those promises for herself. Some promises are given specifically to Israel. The land was promised to them, and it contains specific boundaries. Now, even within Israel, certain areas were assigned to certain tribes, so someone from the tribe of Asher couldn't claim the land that was promised to the tribe of Ephraim, for example. Now, however, promises and principles in the Old Testament, though given to Israel, can many times be applied to the church, since they're grounded in the unchanging character of God. Best example I know First Corinthians chapter ten. Paul describes God's judgment on Israel during the wilderness wanderings, and then he says, these things happen to them as examples. They were written down as warning for us. The root cause for the temptations were similar, since human nature is the same. So Paul can use the lessons from Israel in the wilderness to apply to the largely Gentile church in Corinth. Now, the key in all of this is making sure we make a distinction between interpretation and application. We can apply principles from much of the Old Testament for today, but we need to guard against assuming that every promise in the Old Testament is a direct promise to us that we can automatically claim for ourselves.
S1: Maggie wonders, why did God give the land only to Isaac while Ishmael got nothing?
S2: Yeah, okay, I'll start with this. Uh, God owns everything, and he can give his land to whomever he wants. So the question assumes Isaac got everything and Ishmael got nothing. But that's really not true. You know, God did choose Isaac to be the heir of his land. Promised to Abraham. He says, your wife Sarah will bear you a son, and you'll call him Isaac. And I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant. But God also gave a promise and blessing to Ishmael. God told Hagar that he would so increase your descendants that they will be too numerous to count in Genesis 16. In Genesis 21, he says, God was with the boy Ishmael, and he grew up. Ishmael had 12 sons and dwelled in the area from Havilah to shore, near the border with Egypt, as you go toward Asher. So that's the area of the Arabian Peninsula from Egypt up to northern Iraq. Now, I think an illustration can help here. Individuals can make a will and they can leave their possessions to whomever they want. And while we might hope they'll share equally with all children, well, it's within their right to divide the inheritance however they want. They can do it because it belongs to them, not to the children. Uh, the bottom line is Ishmael was blessed, but his blessing didn't include the land God promised to Abraham. God directed that part of Abraham's inheritance to pass to Isaac and his descendants.
S1: Florence asks, how could Jesus be heard by 5000 people?
S2: Yeah, when he preached to the multitudes. Well, here's an illustration from D.L. Moody. In 1888, Moody preached at a campaign in Los Angeles, and 4000 people attended, and he spoke to all of them at one time, and he had no amplification. But before that, John Wesley wrote in his diary back in 1739, on November 11th, he said, I preached at 8:00 to 5 or 6000. There are several spots around the Sea of Galilee, where the hills slope up in a natural theatre shape. And if Jesus was on one of those, because he was by the Sea of Galilee, well, he spoke near the bottom. Those at the top could hear quite a ways. Uh, the Roman theater, and this is people need to go to Israel to see this. But the Roman theater at Beit She'an has a capacity of 7000. It's the largest in Israel. And somebody standing on the stage, they can be heard by everyone in that theater. And that's not the largest in Ephesus. There's a theater that holds 25,000. Wow. And it had no amplification. But the human voice is able to project to a large listening audience.
S1: Jeff is looking at Jewish laws and is wondering, is there any scripture that tells us how quickly a body should be buried after death? What do you think?
S2: Well, there are no specific scriptures I know of that say it has to be buried like within 24 hours, but that is the normal Jewish custom today. But there are some examples. In fact, one I love is acts chapter five. Ananias dies and it says, some young men came forward, wrapped up his body, and carried him out and buried him. His wife later came in, died, and was also buried. That said in verse ten there. But the interesting thing is, when Ananias died, he was buried immediately, even before his wife could be found and notified. Today, the Jewish custom is to bury an individual as soon as possible, unless it's a Sabbath or Jewish holiday. And that closely matches the examples that we do see in the Bible.
S1: And that's a look at some of the questions that have come in to us via email. And yours is welcome at the land and the book@moody.edu. Well, for many people it's their favorite segment of the entire broadcast, so don't go away. Charlie Dyer has handpicked a site in Israel. He's got a devotional lined up for you. You're going to enjoy it. So keep it right here on Moody Radio's The Land and the book. Well, if you live in the south, the southwest, it's usually because you like the heat. Good for you. But, Charlie, you say there's one kind of heat that maybe we should avoid.
S2: Oh, yeah, John, there definitely is.
S1: All right. We're looking forward to your devotional. It's titled The One Kind of Heat to Avoid. You're going to take us to Proverbs 19 and 22. I understand, but not before we hear this Holy Land experience testimony.
S7: Hi, I'm Joe, and the thing that I love most about the trip to the Holy Land is the fact that it it brings it really brings the Bible alive. It really helps me to visualize the events and people and places of the Bible. Before I came here, there really, I had a lot of misperceptions as to what the images were that come into my head when I'm reading the Bible, and so I know it will. Definitely. It's going to change my reading of the Bible forever. I will read it with a much different perspective, have different images, have a different understanding as to what's being said. So it's been an absolutely enlightening experience.
S1: Charlie, I'm looking forward to your devotional.
S2: Well, John thanks. You travel to the desert southwest, as you mentioned, or to any area around the Dead Sea in Israel, and you quickly discover that summer is synonymous with sunshine and heat. Lots of heat. Phoenix experiences, on average 111 days per year above 100 degrees, and twice while hiking around the Dead Sea in the early summer, we had to help two of our tour participants who developed heat exhaustion that could easily have progressed to heat stroke had we not poured water on them to help them cool off, while also getting them to drink liquids to rehydrate them? Intense, prolonged exposure to heat and sun can be dangerous, but the Bible pictures an even more dangerous form of heat that we need to avoid and know. In this instance. I'm not talking about eternal judgment in the lake of fire, though that is certainly the ultimate kind of heat to avoid. I should add here that anyone listening needs to know Jesus is God's Son who came to earth to die on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins so we can avoid that eternal judgment in the lake of fire. So if you've not made that decision right now, jot down 1888. Need him and call that number as soon as I'm done. It could be the most important phone call you'll ever make. But now back to our story. Apart from avoiding the heat of eternal judgment, the Bible pictures another kind of heat we should avoid. And to introduce you to this type of heat, I want you to hop on our tour bus. As we head from our hotel to the top of the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem. It's a short drive, and I need to prepare you to face the multitude of peddlers who will descend on our group as we pile out of the bus. There can be the occasional pickpocket. So, men, put your wallet in the front pocket of your trousers and ladies, put the strap of your purse over your shoulder and hold on to it tightly. Now, most of these merchants are regulars who are simply trying to make a living and feed their families. So if you're not interested in what they're selling, just say no. But do so kindly. They'll understand. Well, at least most of them will. But there was a peddler up here who definitely took offence at everyone who refused to buy from him. He made the most obnoxious person you know seem quiet and polite. I don't know his Arabic name, but everyone called him Mike. He would stand just outside the bus, pushing his wares into the faces of the tourists as they stepped out, and once the first person said in a very kind manner, by the way, no thank you. Mike would launch into a profanity filled tirade against everyone on the bus. Mike knew every American expletive and as they say, could curse like a sailor. Angry, rude, offensive, almost threatening. Mike was like an unexploded landmine, just waiting for someone to step on the firing mechanism to set him off. One time as our bus pulled up and I saw Mike, I decided to do something different. I jumped off the bus before anyone else bounded up to him, addressed him by name, and asked him how he was doing. My display of kindness threw him for a loop, but before he could respond, I took him aside and said, Mike, I got to tell you, your anger and swearing don't help you make any sales. Not everyone's going to buy from you. But if you remain calm and kind, some will. Please don't shout and swear at our people. And after that, Mike did clean up his act, at least as far as our bus was concerned. But it was a very limited victory. A year or so later, on our way up to the Mount of Olives, my regular driver turned to me and said, you remember Mike up here on the Mount of Olives? Yeah, I do. Why? He was killed. He got angry and threatened to Palestinian who had a knife and stabbed him. Mike could never get his overheated temper under control and it cost him his life. Now, why go into that long story about Mike and the danger of anger and an overheated temper? It's because Solomon described anger as the kind of heat we need to avoid all the time, in both summer and winter. Let me share two sets of proverbs that focus on this one crucial truth. The first is Proverbs 1919. A hot tempered man must pay the penalty. If you rescue him, you'll have to do it again. Sadly, Mike was a good illustration of this. I tried to rescue him to help him gain sales by reminding him not to be so angry to the point of rudeness, and it worked for our groups, though I had to remind him each time. But as soon as our bus left and another arrived, Mike went back to his hot tempered nature until he spouted off to the wrong person. The second proverb is found in Proverbs 22. Verses 24 and 25. Do not make friends with a hot tempered man. Do not associate with one easily angered or you may learn his ways and get yourself ensnared. I was deliberately friendly toward Mike, but Mike was not a friend. He tolerated me because I helped him gain a few sales from those on our bus, and I treated him in a friendly way. For his sake and for the sake of our tourists. I chose not to learn Mike's ways, though I kept hoping he would begin to see and understand how a little kindness could go a long way toward helping increasing his sales. I do pity anyone who might have looked up to Mike to the point of trying to be like him. Thankfully, I never encountered anyone else on the Mount of Olives who seemed to follow in his path. If the heat of anger is something we want to avoid, what can we do to help make that a reality in our lives? And thankfully, Solomon once again has the answer, this time in Proverbs 15 verse one, a gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. The antidote to anger is gentleness, especially in the way we respond to someone in a stressful situation. And this brings to mind another situation with another vendor in Jerusalem, this time one from the Old City. I was leading a group of students who had gone shopping and managed to offend a shopkeeper by reaching an agreement on a price, only to leave his shop and go to another to buy the same item. The shopkeeper came to the school where we were staying to let us all know he wasn't happy. His reputation was called into question. He lost a sale and he was deeply offended by this perceived slight. As I met with the shopkeeper in the garden, the students were watching out the dining hall window. They heard the shopkeeper shout, I'm so angry I could kill them. What they did wasn't right. They stole the food right out of the mouths of my children. Remembering Proverbs 15 one, I said to him, you're right. That wasn't a nice thing to do. I'm sorry our students offended you and I apologize for their actions. The shopkeeper calmed down and we parted and remained good friends until the day he died of natural causes. In my office I still have an olive wood statue he later gave me as a token of friendship. So what lessons can we take away from these three sets of related proverbs? I think the key lesson is to work hard to control our emotions and our tongue. It's so easy to become angry when we feel as if we've been wronged or disrespected or cheated or offended in a myriad of ways, and in the heat of anger, the tongue is often the weapon of choice to lash back at those who've hurt us. Allowing emotions to run unchecked is a recipe for disaster. Avoid those who are prone to such outbursts of anger, and work to control how you respond. When you feel wronged or offended, remember, a gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. It's no accident that Solomon's wise words are repeated throughout the Bible. Among the acts of the sinful nature in Galatians 519 to 20 are hatred, discord, and fits of rage, and among the fruit of the spirit in verses 22 to 23 are love, joy, peace, and patience, along with kindness, gentleness, and self-control. Remember the best way to respond wisely is to respond through the fruit of the spirit as we allow God to produce them in our lives.
S1: Charlie Dyer there with his devotional The One Kind of Heat to Avoid. From time to time, people will email us and say, hey, is there any chance I could get a transcript of that? The answer, sadly, is no. We have a really small staff. They're spread pretty thin. That's the bad news. The good news is you can always hear it again or share it with a friend. When you go to our website, The Land and the book org, that's the land and the book org. And with that, we're going to say thank you for listening to us today. I'm John Gager for our host Charlie Dyer and producer Dan Anderson. The land and the book is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.