S1: Tragic plane crashes, devastating fires, disastrous hurricanes. Where in the world is God in all this? Stay with me and we'll talk about that in just a moment. Hello, friends. Welcome to Open Line with me. Michael Wright. This is Moody Radio's Bible study across America. My name is Michael Wright. I'm the academic dean and professor of Jewish studies and Bible at Moody Bible Institute. And I am so grateful that you're joining me around the radio kitchen table. And we're talking about your questions about the Bible, God, and the spiritual life. Well, if you have a question and you'd like to call the phone number here is (877) 548-3675. Once again 5483675. Tricia McMillan is our producer. Omar Mendoza is our tech guy. To hear is here as well. Uh. Anyone else? Am I missing anyone? Uh, glad for everyone here that's helping out. And, uh, time to get yourself a cup of coffee. Uh, and, uh, we're going to study the scriptures together. The phone number again. (877) 548-3675. Let's talk about all these disasters. Virtually, virtually all of us have been watching TV news reports about the tragic airline disaster at Reagan National Airport. It was so heartbreaking. We all wish we could somehow reach out to comfort all those who grieve lost loved ones. And while many are asking how in the world did this happen? Others are wondering, how could God let this happen? So how do we respond to this question? If God is good? Why are there terrible disasters like plane crashes, devastating fires, as we've seen in Southern California, or destructive hurricanes like a few months ago in North Carolina? Why are there earthquakes, tornadoes, floods that kill innumerable people and destroy communities? Simply put, there is no no simple. There is no complete or satisfactory answer completely for these questions. But I do think that there are some biblical concepts that will help us. And so I'd like to offer six quick biblical ideas that we can remember when disaster strikes. First, it's an absolute truth that God is sovereign in all these matters. No disasters. Surprise! God. He wasn't shocked by any other event. Evil or bad or good. Doesn't matter. He's never been shocked by any event that we've experienced. God says in Isaiah 45 seven, I form light and create darkness. I make success and I create disaster. I, the Lord, do all these things. Just as God is the sovereign creator, so he is sovereign even over earthly disasters. Second, our problem is that we don't know his purposes. It's a terrible mistake to assert that God's purposes are even knowable. That's why God declared through Isaiah, for my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways, my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts higher than your thoughts. That's Isaiah 55, eight and nine. We can't explain God's intentions, nor should we ever try. We just know God is there and God is good. Third, we need to remember that tragic events are not necessarily related to the specific behavior of nations or individuals. Evil things happen because we live in an evil and fallen world. People get terminal diseases. Planes crash. Tidal waves overwhelm communities. Paul wrote in Romans 822, we know that the whole creation has been groaning, as in the pains of childbirth, right up to the present time. For the Lord Jesus taught that disasters, whether natural or man made, are a reminder of God's mercy. In Luke 13 one through nine, responding to the question of why God allowed different kinds of evil, Jesus said that bad things happen to some people not because they are more evil than others. Rather, according to the Lord Jesus. If God were to act based on all on our behavior, all our behavior, disaster and devastation would be the norm, not the exception. We all sin. And if God responded on based on what we all deserve, we'd all be devastated. That's what Jeremiah meant when he wrote, because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. Lamentations 322. It's only God's loving mercy that prevents him from destroying all of us instantly. Fifth. God uses suffering to remind us to turn to him when we see disasters strike others. Jesus said that this was a reminder for all of us to turn to God before we perished as well. That's found in Luke 13 three through five. That's the very reason the psalmist wrote, I turned to the Lord in my distress, and he answers me. Psalm 120, verse one. C.S. Lewis wrote, God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to us in our conscience, but shouts in our pains. It's his megaphone to rouse a deaf world. God uses our pain and our sorrow to get our attention and remind us to turn to him for comfort. Sixth, God uses tragic events to remind us that we're not home yet. It's so easy to get overly comfortable here on earth never to want to leave. As if this was the best God has for us. But there is an eternity of suffering on this. Suffering on this earth reminds us that God intends a far better home for us in the future. These present sufferings are not worth comparing with all the glory that will be revealed in us. Romans 818 says, disasters remind us not to allow ourselves to become overly comfortable or satisfied with this world, but to remember that we're citizens of a far better future world where every tear will be wiped away and all pain and sorrow will be removed. One last thought. Dorothy Sayers said that when it comes to the problem of evil, this must be said. God took his own medicine in the Messiah, Jesus. God entered this world as a fully human person and not only suffered with us, but he suffered for us. That through his death and his resurrection, we can have life forever. If you'd like to read that. Um, when tragedy strikes. That's at my website. On my blog. When tragedy strikes at michael-ray. Org or it's linked at our Facebook page on Open Line. So if you'd like to read that, go over it a little bit more slowly. It's available to you right there. I think we're, uh, you know what I, I want to mention our current resource. Resource. Remember the old days when we took trips and would plot our way with a Rand McNally road atlas? I think when we read the Bible, it would help to have a road map. Also, even when reading the New Testament, we can get lost. And that's why our current resource is survey of the New Testament by Paul Benware. This complete guide takes us on a journey from Matthew to Revelation. It it gives us a road map for God's Word. You'll discover how each book connects to tell one great story of God's redemptive plan. And if you're a regular listener and maybe have never even given a gift to Open Line before, you won't want to miss out on this excellent resource. We want to send it to you and everyone that gives a gift of any size to just whoever gives a gift. We want to give it to you. And, uh, and then we'll, uh, be sure to to send you a copy of Ben Ware's survey of the New Testament. How do you get it? Uh, you just call (888) 644-7122 or go to open line radio.org. And when you give a gift, we want to say thanks. And we'll send you a copy of Ben Ware's survey of the New Testament. I'm not seeing any callers up there. I'm pretty sure that there Are a Naja. Welcome to open line of Naja. How can I help you?
S2: Uh, thank you for taking my call. Um, I've always wondered this, and, um, I'm wondering what you think of the concept of pre-existence. Of souls. Um, when we read the book of Jeremiah, chapter one, verse five, the prophet says, before I was even born, you knew me intimately. Um, and so that to me entails that, you know, we probably existed even before we were born. So what are your thoughts on this? Do you believe that, um, we were with God even before we were born? Or do you believe that, um, you know, our souls, you know, emerge when we are physically born? Um, and I ask this because there are so many people now. I mean, if you look online, Um, there's a concept called pre-birth memories. There are a lot of people that I know, and some are Christians who say that they remember, um, instances of even before they were born. They have memories of times before they were born. So, um, what are your thoughts on that?
S1: Well, I don't think Jeremiah one five is is actually talking about being in existence before conception. It says, I chose you before I formed you in the womb. So that's that God chose him, not that he existed, but God made the choice because God knows he's omniscient. He knew exactly who would be formed in the womb. I set you apart before you were born. That could have been very well, not just in election, but also in the womb. Uh, saying that God knew someone. I mean, that's foreknowledge, uh, God knows and determines what will happen before it ever happens. So saying that God, I mean, that's mentioned in Ephesians one, that we were foreknown by God. Uh, and so to say that Elijah was foreknown doesn't indicate pre-existence of his soul. That's, that's just reading way too much into it and too little into God's nature, which is omniscient. And so even before we exist, he knows us. Uh, and so that's all I think that is saying. As for people who think that they remember things, they're usually talking about remembering not what existed before, uh, they were conceived, but rather they they claim to have memory of what was going on in the womb. Uh, I don't think that that's really possible, but that's what people people are very creative. and they think that they remember those things. That's all I think it is. And I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I don't I don't see anything in Scripture that would indicate pre-existence of souls before being born. Now, frankly, uh, you know, origin, I believe the church father believed in it. There are people who have believed in it. I just don't see anything in the Bible that's, uh. That actually indicates that. So. But anyway, thanks. Thanks for your call on Nadia. And, uh, we're going to take a break here, and. Are we not in the window here? Yeah, we're going to take a break. That's it. I'm looking at, uh, looking at my friends here and wondering what in the world is going on. We're going to take a break. We're going to come right back. And, uh, when we come back, uh, we'll take more of your questions. The number 83675. Stay with us. This is open Line with Michael Radonich. Welcome back to Open Line. So glad you're with us today. My name is Michael Wright and I'm grateful for every listener. Really glad that you're here with us. If you'd like to call with a question, the number is (877) 548-3675. We're talking about your questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. And Paul in Schaumburg listening on Wmbi. Schaumburg, Illinois has a question. Welcome to Open Line. Paul. How can I help you?
S3: Yes. I have a question about our book of Haggai, chapter two 1 to 10. God spoke. And then I just want to know if it has been ever been fulfilled and if it is when and how. That'd be great. Thank you.
S1: Well, the issue that comes out is I will shake the nation so that the treasures of all the nations will come. Some people say, or the desire of the nations will come, and I will fill this house with glory. Verse seven. Uh, that's the question that people really struggle with in the King James Version. It says the desire of nations will come to this House. Uh, my version here, the, the Holman CSB that I've been reading that says the, the treasures of all the nations. And there's a lot of, uh, discussion about this verse, just to be, uh, honest and forthright about it. There's a lot of people who think, uh, that it does not refer that it's referring to the messianic kingdom, and that when the Messianic kingdom arrives, the thousand year reign of Jesus, then the treasures of all the nations will come to the temple that will be built in the Millennial Kingdom, which will be the throne room of the Messiah. So that's what some people think. I actually believe that this refers to the desire of the nations who will come, and that's referring to the Messiah, and that he will come. And at that time God will fill this house with glory. I think it's referring to the coming of the Messiah. Now, I don't really think it's talking about the first coming of the Messiah. When he came, when the Second Temple was built. Although we got a little foretaste of that when the Lord Jesus went and worshiped in the Second Temple, Herod's temple. The glory or the desire of the nations came. But this is talking about the messianic Kingdom. The final glory of this house will be greater than the first, and it will be greatest, because the Messiah will be reigning from there. So we got a little image, a little picture, a little pattern of the future. But it will be fulfilled when the desire of the nations, the Messiah, Jesus, enters into that millennial temple. Okay, Paul.
S3: All right. Well, thank you so much.
S1: Yeah. Hey, Paul, let me ask you something. Uh, did you look that up in the Moody Bible Commentary?
S3: Um, no, it was something that, uh, was, um, you know, uh, the. So, um, so I was wondering what, uh, had Lord had in mind for me. So I was just, uh, whistling and, you know, trying to do what he. Yeah.
S1: Do you have a moody Bible commentary in which you could have looked it up?
S3: Um, no. No, I do not.
S1: Okay, you hang on, Paul, because I think you'd really benefit from a moody Bible commentary. And we're going to send you one. So.
S3: Oh, I appreciate I really appreciate it. Thank you so much.
S1: Yeah, I especially like. The book of Haggai, because that was one of the commentaries that, that I didn't. Edit just I actually wrote it. So and I really, really wow. Yeah, I love I love the. Book of Haggai. I love to preach on the book of Haggai. I loved writing that commentary. And so we'll send you not just Haggai. We'll send you the whole moody Bible commentary. It was written by the faculty of Moody Bible Institute. It's a really it's a commentary you can trust. And if you're listening and you think, man, I need a one volume. Commentary. The best place to go to get one would be to go to to Moody Publishers. Dot com. Or you could possibly go to any online bookseller, and I'm sure you'll be able to find a copy of it right there. The Moody Bible Commentary. It's it's a really uh, or you can go to your local Christian bookstore, if that will. If they carry it, I'm sure they do. And that would be a big help. You know, I was in a major bookstore at Christmas time, a secular bookstore. And it had this was kind of fun. It had, uh, they had a bookshelf with the employees favorite books. And, uh, the Moody Bible commentary was there for, as one of the employees favorite books. I was so happy when I saw that. And then I saw the employee. She used to be in a Sunday school class I taught, and so now I knew why it was there. So that was kind of fun. But anyway, we'll send you one. Paul. Okay. Uh, you hang on.
S4: Thank you so much. And we'll.
S1: Sure, we'll get your address and we'll send you one. Thanks for listening, Paul, and thanks for your question. Uh, we're going to talk to Jeff in Florida, listening on Wmhb. Welcome to Open Line. Jeff, how can I help you today?
S5: Yes. Uh, Psalms 102 18 to 22. It just looks like it's like a prophecy of the people of that. In the Old Testament time period, it was like a to me. I just want to know, is this what it is? It's like a foretelling of salvation to of course, I know Christ had to complete the salvation back in the Old Testament, but it just looks like it's declaring that from 18 to 22, uh, it's, you know, and I just want to ask that question because it looks like it to me. It speaks that.
S4: It says it says.
S1: This will be written for a later generation, and a newly created people will praise the Lord. He looked down from his holy heights. The Lord gazed out from heaven to hear a prisoners groaning, to set free those condemned so they might declare the name of Yahweh in Zion, and his praise in Jerusalem. When peoples and kingdoms are assembled to serve the Lord. I think this is just saying that there, uh, that the Lord will reach people in the future. This will be written for a later generation. It's not just now. It's talking about the future. So in that sense, it's prophetic and that people in the kingdom, when peoples and kingdoms are assembled to serve the Lord, they will also declare the name of Yahweh in Zion. Zion. It's it's basically saying from now and forever. That's that's what it's saying.
S4: Okay.
S5: Amen. All right. That's what it was just such a joy because I was I saw this thing where David was said he was he was distraught and he said, I go down. Please talk to me, because I'm just going to feel like I'm going to go down in the pit. And I then I just researched it through YouVersion and I ended up here. So it was awesome. It was just awesome. And I have two commentaries. I should have looked at it.
S4: Oh, good.
S1: Always a good.
S4: Idea.
S1: That's great. Thanks for your call. I really appreciate it. We're going to talk to Luneta in Cleveland, Ohio, listening on Wtxf. Welcome to Open Line. How can I help you? Lunetta?
S6: Yes. I just want to make sure that I'm correct, because I am telling people that, um, we're paying, you know, everyone is praying for peace in the Middle East and all over America, but can we actually have peace without having the Prince of Peace without being born again? And if so, where is the Scripture found? Because I want to make sure that I'm accurate.
S1: Uh, well, I think the idea that God can grant peace, I don't know, it sounds to me like you're confusing, uh, national peace with personal peace. Uh, you know, in terms of personal peace, obviously it's possible for someone to someone to have peace. But for the most part, the idea of personal peace starts with peace with God.
S6: Okay.
S1: And, uh, and when you, when you think of it that, uh, we're at enmity with God when we don't know him, and, uh, but God creates peace with him. And as a result, we can have peace in our own lives and peace with each other. I was thinking about, first of all, uh, peace with others. Uh, in Ephesians two, uh, it talks about that there was enmity between Jew and Gentile and that God created peace first, not just by by kind of bringing them together, but by bringing those who were far from him and those who were nearer, but still not with him, and reconciling them to the Lord through the Lord Jesus death and Than resurrection. And through that he. This is Ephesians two about, uh, about verse 14 through 16. Uh, and he he brings peace. And as a result, uh, he reconciles people because they have been first reconciled to God, that he reconciles us to each other because we can be reconciled to God. And that's where it starts. And then also in Ephesians, in Philippians chapter four, where it talks about the God of peace guiding us and the peace of God that surpasses all understanding, controlling us. Uh, that we can have that. Why? Because we know him and we're praying and we're walking with him. And then the God of peace gives us the peace that passes understanding. So I think that, uh, now, I'm not saying it's not possible that God could give peace to someone or bring peace nationally. I mean, I mean, there have been wars that have ended and that have led to a peace. Uh, but that doesn't necessarily mean that people have personal peace or peace with God. They've not been reconciled to God until they come to know the Lord Jesus, that we all you know, we're all at enmity with him. We're far from each other. Uh, because we're far from God. And as a result, what the Bible says is that the Lord Jesus came and he was the great peacemaker. Uh, in fact, in Ephesians two it says he is our peace. He personifies peace. And so because we can have peace with God through him, then we can have peace with each other. And if anyone's listening and you think, man, my life is is struggling and I, I really, really need peace from God and I don't know the Lord Jesus. This is where to start to put your trust in him, that he died for us and us and rose again. Believe that our sins will be forgiven. We'll have peace with God. And and that is what we need, so that it can lead to personal peace and reconciliation with others. So anyway, thanks for the great reminder, I appreciate it. We're going to come back with the mailbag in just a moment. Tricia McMillan is going to bring it in, and we'll talk about the questions you've sent in. Again, this is open line with Michael. Stay with us. More questions coming up straight ahead. Welcome back to Open Line. I'm so glad to be with you this Saturday morning talking about your questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. And, uh, we are going to be, uh, answering the questions you've sent in because it's time for the Febc mailbag. We're grateful that Far Eastern Broadcasting Company partners with Open Line to bring you the weekly Febc mailbag. Febc is a terrific organization. They bring the good news to people via media through personal engagement. Check out the Febc podcasts podcast. It's called Until All I've Heard. You find it by going to febc.org. And joining me right now is Tricia McMillan. Hey, Trish. Hello. Now, uh, you know, I was just talking with William Washington. He's our big kitchen table partner. Promoter William Washington is the VP of student life.
S7: Yes, at Moody Bible Institute. Yes, yes. Friend of the program?
S1: Yeah, he's he's probably listening right now, but, uh, I was I was laughing with him because, uh, he and I are called partners in crime at Moody, which I always think is funny even though we're not really doing anything criminal. It's just that we we do things. I work with the faculty and oversee the the educational part of the undergraduate school, whereas he's working with the the student life area. And we try and complement each other rather than conflict with each other. And we are generally on the same page. And I think that shows how important partnership is. And he was and he said, we were talking. He said, you ought to talk about that and then tell people how important their partnership is to become a kitchen table partner. And I said, okay, that's what I'll do. So, you know, being a kitchen table partner really does mean a lot to us. And we it puts us all on the same page. We're so grateful for everyone that has already decided. We've got over 800 kitchen table partners. That is just amazing. And William told me, you know, we need 1000. So he's been saying that for a number of years now. So but anyway. But we're grateful for every single person who has decided to become a kitchen table partner because we work together as partners. And what you're doing is making it possible for us to be on the air. And so if you'd like to consider becoming a kitchen table partner, what we do is we send you a Bible study moment, a pre-recorded audio Bible study, just for a few minutes every other week so that you can that's sort of like a special benefit for those of you who are kitchen table partners. Any other benefits? Tricia?
S7: Um, there is also, if you give it the $30 a month level as an auto gift, which is like where it just is an automatic deduction. Um, then you get 50% off of all Moody Publishers catalog. So that includes the Moody Bible Commentary. It includes Bibles. It includes Bible studies, a lot of the resources that we talk about on the air, but also a lot of the other books, nonfiction and fiction and all of it.
S1: Everything in the catalog. Yeah. It's great. So I'm kind of trying to think of some other possibilities of what we can do for our kitchen table partners. We'll be talking about that in upcoming weeks. But for now, if you'd like to become a kitchen table partner, we'd really appreciate it. All you have to do is call (800) 864-4712 two or go to open Line radio.org. And we really appreciate it. Well Trish do you have a lot of questions for me.
S7: I do but we're going to start I had several come in from out of the Paul's letters to the Corinthians. And so I'm kind of lumping them together even though topically they might not be the same. They're all from the letter, those two letters, the.
S1: Corinthian letters.
S7: From the Corinthians.
S1: I read them once, I think I can do it.
S7: The Corinthians. Okay.
S1: I read it once.
S7: Good. So our first question is from Robert in Massachusetts, who listens online to Spotify where you can find our podcasts. Um, thank you for a great program. In first Corinthians five nine, Paul mentions a letter that he wrote to the church in Corinth, which seems to make First Corinthians a response to questions that the Corinthians had sent in response to Paul's first letter. So the verse says, I wrote you in a letter not to associate with sexually immoral people. So clearly he has written them something else. Um, but they seem to be lost. Are there any known copies or fragments of other churches responses to Paul's letters, or these other letters that Paul's written?
S1: Yeah. The fact that he wrote another letter is also evident, I think, in verse 11, because he says, but now I am writing. Meaning I wrote before, but now I'm writing. So this is a different letter. He it is, uh, it it's possible, I think, that Paul did write other letters to the Corinthians. It's possible that's what he's talking about. Uh, it could be that he's referring to what he was talking about in the first eight verses, when he says, I wrote to you in a letter before, but I think he's actually talking about another letter that he wrote something else. And there's no we have no, uh, we have no copies of it. Okay. We have no fragments of it. Uh, we, uh, we've got no evidence, uh, that that anyone has it. And if we found it tomorrow, it wouldn't be part of the Bible.
S7: Okay. Even though Paul wrote it, it is not being written by Paul. That makes it part of the Bible.
S1: Exactly. Uh, a lot of people think that one of the tests of canonicity about what made it into the canon is Apostolicity. They called it, you know, did an apostle write it? Uh, I think that many things the apostles wrote did make it into the scriptures, but not everything they wrote. You know, Paul would go down to the agora, the the ancient market, and he would have his little he'd have a little papyrus with his notes on what he was buying, a shopping list, a shopping list, dozen eggs, whatever it is that he was picking up there. Uh, maybe a new quill for his letter writing. Uh, I don't know what he would buy, but if we found that shopping list, that wouldn't go in the Bible. Uh, what it was is the books that were deemed inspired were immediately received by the people of God and placed in the canon and recognized as inspiration. The test of of candidate for Canon City was inspiration. Is this an inspired book? And so he wrote another letter. It was not deemed inspired. So it was not kept or it wasn't preserved. It wasn't put into the canon. Now there are other books that were preserved, but they were not put in the canon, and that was because they were not characterized as, uh, biblical. They're not inspiration, they're not Bible, uh, they're not inspired. And so, uh, it's just one of those, you know, things that we're looking at. The test was did the church immediately receive it as the word of God? And when they did, it was placed into the canon.
S7: Okay. Thank you. So our next move moving down to first Corinthians seven. Mhm. Dan in Illinois says I'm married to an unbeliever and we have a baby boy. Please pray for my wife. My question is about first Corinthians 714 which says, for the unbelieving husband is set apart for God by the wife. And the unbelieving wife is set apart for God by the husband. Otherwise your children would be corrupt, but now they are set apart for God. I know that my wife isn't automatically forgiven and redeemed because I am a believer, but what does it mean when Paul says that that unbelieving spouse is set apart, or made holy or sanctified through the believing spouse?
S1: Well. I remember way back when I was a moody student at the turn of the century. It seemed like no, before that, the previous century.
S7: Right.
S1: When Lincoln was president or Roosevelt or someone. But no, I was, uh, there was someone who was justifying dating someone that wasn't a believer and marrying them because they were going to they were going to get that person saved without them actually believing. The Bible is really clear. We are only saved by grace through faith in Jesus, that we have to believe that Jesus died for us and rose again. We have to have conscious faith of our own. We can't be saved because of siblings or parents or spouses. And so what does it mean? I think it puts them in a position where they are more likely to be saved, which is what Paul's point is. He's saying if you have an unbelieving spouse, don't abandon the marriage. Stay with them as long as they're willing to stay with you, because you'll be able to influence them, and you can have a positive effect, and that your children you can influence. And as a result of that, you will you will have a sanctifying effect on your family, because it's more likely that the unbelieving person will come to believe through your ministry in life. And that's what I think that's talking about.
S7: Okay. So similar to the children that they're now, they're seeing what that looks like in the home. So they will have that, that additional input. Um, spiritually. Yeah. Okay. That's it. All right. Let me try one more. Yeah. Okay. Deborah in Illinois listens to WNBA second Corinthians five nine and ten talks about the judgment seat of Christ. It says, therefore, whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to be pleasing to him. For we must all appear before the tribunal of Christ, so that each may be repaid for what he has done in the body, whether good or worthless. So Deborah wants to know, what is this account that we're giving? Will all of my words, thoughts, behaviors be replayed there as I stand before him? Do we know what that will look like?
S1: You know, I don't have any details on on how much you know. Will a transcript of our life be played for us? A video of our lives? I don't think so. But, you know, that's what some people think. I think that it really when you look at first Corinthians three, it talks about how we're building on the work of that God began. And some people build with wood, hay and straw. And it has to do with their their service for the Lord. And then other people build with gold and silver and precious gems, and that the work will be tested by fire. And even if the. It's all wood, hay and straw, if it's completely burned up, the person himself will still be saved.
S7: Uh, yes. Um, okay. Um, I think we're having some technical difficulties with Michael. Um, we're having some technical difficulties with Michael's, uh, microphone. And so, um, we will come back. We're going to take a break right now. We'll come back, get that resolved, and, um, get the rest of this answer about the wood, hay and straw right after this break. You're listening to Open Line with Doctor Michael Redlich. I'm Trish McMillan, the producer of the program. This has been our mailbag program, our mailbag segment. We'll be back with your calls after this break. This is Moody Radio.
S1: Welcome back to Open Line. Uh, a little glitch there at the end of the last segment. My my microphone kind of turned off, but, uh, just to remind you that someone asked, what will we be judged at? At the at the Bema Seat. And, uh, we were I was saying that we'll be judged by our works for the Lord based on First Corinthians three. Either they'll be like wood, hay and straw and be burned up, or some of it would be gold, silver, precious gems. And remain and will receive a reward for that. But even if we don't have anything that remains, the Bible says if we know the Lord. And everything is wood, hay and straw, we will still be saved yet so as through fire. But the goal would be obviously, I would love to hear the Lord. This is going to be the best reward, not the not the anything in terms of, uh, you know, great rewards. I want to hear well done, faithful servant, good and faithful servant. That's the best reward I could ever receive. Maybe that's my love language. I don't know, Trish might tell me if I knew better. Uh, words of affirmation. Right. So. So. Well, uh, before we go back to the phones, I want to tell you about the Chosen People ministries. Free gift. Since Hamas began this war with Israel, seeing Israel has pretty much shut down. I don't know if you've realized that, but if you'd like to see Israel and you haven't been able to go. Chosen People Ministries, one of our ministry partners, is offering Israel the land and the people. It's a coffee table book with some of the best photos of Israel anywhere. Not only does it show the beauty and the history and the culture and the variety of the land, from Mount Hermon with its snow top in the north to the fortress of Masada in the south, you can see ancient Jerusalem versus modern Tel Aviv. It's got so much. And, uh, it's also has prayer prompts for those who care about being watchmen on the walls of Jerusalem. To pray for Israel, to get your free copy of Israel, the land and the people. Just go to Open Lines website. That's Open Line radio.org, our website. Scroll down until you see the link that says A free gift from Chosen People Ministries. Click on that and then you'll be taken to a page where you can sign up for your own copy of Israel, The land and the people. And, uh, we're going to talk to David in Montana, listening on Moody Radio Northwest. Welcome to Open Line, David. How can I help you?
S8: Well, my wife and I work with Awana at our church, and some of the kids asked me a question about their pets going to heaven. And I told them that I didn't believe that pets could go to heaven as we do, because John 14 six says, the only way to get to heaven through personal relationship with Jesus Christ. And I believe that people are made in a different way than animals because we're made in the image of God, and God gave us dominion over animals. So there are different hierarchy in God's plan. So I don't know, Dave.
S1: David, why are you asking me?
S8: The reason being is because you have a lot more knowledge, and I want to want to make sure I didn't miss anything when I was talking to the children. And it's good to interface with other believers because we can come up with with. Okay, David.
S1: Uh, I think that you're, in my opinion, uh, I think God made man, humanity, man and woman in his image. And part of the aspect of, uh, being made in the image of God is being able to engage with God to have a relationship with God. Uh, but there are verses that talk about, uh, the new creation and that there's going to be animals, which is really what heaven is, the new heavens and the new earth, and, uh, for our eternity, our eternal state. And there's going to be animals present at that time. Uh, so I'm not sure. Maybe there'll be animals that are from then and not resurrected animals, I don't know. Uh, I'm. I'm inclined to agree with you, but I never tell that to kids. I just say we'll see when we get there. Uh, because there's, you know, I'm not absolutely certain. And, uh, I quote Don Cole, who used to host this program. Pastor Cole used to say, when you get to heaven, give a whistle. Who knows if Rover will come running? Uh, we'll just see. Okay. And that's probably how I would answer a kid in Awana.
S8: So I appreciate your wisdom. And that is exactly what needs to be done, is.
S9: We'll see. Okay, great.
S1: Okay. Thanks for your call, David. Appreciate it. Uh, we're going to talk to Bruce in Florida. Welcome to Open Line, Bruce. Uh, listening on RMB. How can I help you today?
S10: Hi, Michael. I'm a fellow Jewish believer.
S5: And.
S10: I've listened. I've listened to your.
S1: Can you turn off your radio?
S10: Um, yes. One thing.
S9: I keep, I keep.
S1: Hearing myself.
S9: Myself.
S10: Can you hear me now? Better.
S9: Yes.
S10: Okay. I'm a fellow Jewish believer. In fact, I've heard your testimony, and we're of similar age and backgrounds.
S9: Mhm. And, uh. Well, good.
S10: I was, I was calling because, uh, I had a question about Matthew 22, the parable of the wedding feast. What is your, uh, interpretation of who the person without clothes is in verses 11 to 13.
S1: When the king came in to view the guests, he saw a man there who said to him, who is not dressed for a wedding. So he said to him, friend, how did you get in here without wedding clothes? The man was speechless, and the king told the attendants, tie him up hand and foot and throw him into the outer darkness. It seems to me that even though the invitation went out for everyone to come, uh, he chose his own way rather than the appropriate wedding clothing. And, uh, that that the King would provide. And it seems to me that what this is talking about is people who are invited into the kingdom but want to have their own righteousness rather than the imputed righteousness that our King offers, the righteousness that he offers us by faith in him. And and I think that's what it's talking about. It's talking about the person who says, oh, I'm invited, but I'm going to I have to earn my way. I have to make my own way. I've got to earn my way into the family of God. Uh, because God invited me. But I still have to be good enough. No, we have to be faithful enough. We have to trust in Jesus. That's what it's talking about. That would be the appropriate wedding clothes. Does that make sense to you, Bruce?
S10: Yes. I always thought it was interesting the way Jesus throws that into the middle of that parable.
S1: Yep, I agree. Well, thanks for your call. And thanks for listening, everyone. That's the first hour. Keep listening. There's the second hour of Open Line on most of these stations. If your station doesn't carry Open Line second hour, you can always listen on the Moody Radio app or the podcast or online during the break. Check out our web page. Open Line radio.org has all sorts of links to things you're looking for, including a link to my personal page where you can see about some of the things that I'm planning for the next year. Our Bible study across America will continue in the second hour, so stay with us. Open line with Doctor Michael Melnick is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute. We'll be right back. So stay right there.