S1: Coming to you from the Morning Star Mission sponsored studio. This is Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: You know, kids will put you on the spot and ask you questions.
S3: Can't wait for that. I'm excited.
S2: Wait till your little girl starts asking you questions. Yes, some of them. They start simple, but they get complex real quick. Yeah.
S3: I'm scared. Do you have an example?
S4: And the whys and the whys and the whys?
S3: Don't stop. You can share.
S2: Why? Oh, I have many examples, but recently I was just yesterday I was talking with, you know, car rides are great for conversations with kids. And I'm in that stage where I spend a lot of time in the car with my kids. I was shuttling them from one place to the other, and for some reason, my daughter had a ton of questions about marriage. Just marriage in general. What? What kind of thing? Like, what is love? What is just like.
S3: Good question.
S2: Philosophical questions. And then she started asking about, like, things that cause a marriage to go wrong. And so she started asking about, like, adultery and all these questions. And I'm like, where is this coming from? Where is this going? But the thing that that that was interesting is because, you know, she's she's still young. She was like, how in the world could someone do something like that to someone who they really love?
S3: Yeah.
S2: How could someone do something like that? And of course, if you don't have to live a lot more of life to realize that people do all kinds of things.
S3: Totally.
S2: That you kind of go. How?
S3: Yeah. That doesn't that doesn't compute in my brain, whatever the action may be. It doesn't make any sense how you could get yourself there.
S2: But then at the same time, you look at your own life and maybe you haven't committed adultery, but guaranteed there's been some point in time in your life where you did something, where you look back and go, how did I do that?
S3: Yeah. How did I get down that road and why?
S2: How? How did I miss it that bad?
S3: Yeah.
S2: And you realize the funny thing about life, especially walking with the Lord, is the closer you get to to God, actually, the more aware you become of how desperately you need him to not blow it in some major area. No doubt your level of sort of self confidence like, I got this. I could never do that. Look at that person over there. Wrecking their life, wrecking their marriage, not being nice to their kid. I could never really.
S3: Be very careful about that.
S2: Be careful. The closer you walk with the Lord, the more you realize that old statement. But for the grace of God, there go I.
S3: Absolutely.
S2: So the truth is, how do people do the things that they do to other people? Sin.
S3: Sin.
S2: Because of sin, this sin sickness that we are all infected with from the very beginning and absolutely need the saving power of Jesus Christ. And even then, we're still going to miss it. Even as we grow in our sanctification process, there's still going to be ways that we miss it. Coming up, we cannot have a week about David and not address the biggest area where he absolutely blew it. The sin of David that had such far reaching consequence. Was he absolutely forgiven and restored? Yep. But boy, the fallout was great. How do you recover from this kind of sin? Let's talk about it coming up.
S1: Get to know the team behind the scenes follow cast and crew on Facebook and Instagram.
S2: Spending time looking at the life of David and David got so much right in his life, so many lessons that we can glean his courage, his role as a musician, his role as a leader. But there was this one thing, and scripture even points to it. Doctor Winfred Nealy joining us right now. Share this verse. And then we'll talk about this one time in David's life where he was not he did not have a heart for God.
S5: Well, this is the spirit of God's commentary on David's life, where it says, For David's sake, the Lord his God gave him a lamp. This is another one of his descendants in Jerusalem, setting up his son after him, establishing Jerusalem, because David did what was right in the eyes of the Lord and did not turn aside from anything that he commanded him all the days of his life, except in the matter of Uriah the Hittite. And so, as we get into this conversation, it seems to me to use this verse as a framework for it. Otherwise it could be easily misunderstood. I mean, this is a massive statement here. Yeah. About what God thought about David's life. And would you like to have God write that on your on your headstone at your grave? He did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, so forth and so on. And of course, here is an exception. So but this is the verse that it seems to me should frame what we're going to talk about next.
S2: So let's talk about this now. Maybe you've heard of the story of David and Bathsheba, but I'm going to assume that some of you haven't. Uriah the Hittite is who's mentioned in that first? Is that first or second kings?
S5: That's first Kings, chapter 15, verse five.
S2: So he's mentioned there. He was the husband of Bathsheba. Give us the the just the summary narrative of what happens in this incident so that we can begin to unpack it.
S5: Well, it's mentioned this story is in second Samuel chapter 11 and 12, where there is there's a war going on with Ammon, Amnon. And they're finishing up the job now, and David stays in Jerusalem. And it really should have been out there with his soldiers while he's walking on the palace. He happens to see a woman bathing. Then she was beautiful. And in Old Testament narratives, physical descriptions are rare. And so when we have them, that's really, really important in the narrative, right? So she's beautiful. And David inquires about her, sends for her, he takes her and lies with her, and she goes back home and you think it's all over. Okay? The narrator says. And the woman conceived.
S2: That David knew that she was the wife of one of his men out fighting wars.
S5: Oh. Good night. Yeah, sure he did.
S2: This was absolutely known to him. So he did not think that this was an available woman?
S5: No, he knew that. He knew who she was. He knew. In fact, the Scripture says, is this not Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite? And Eliam was one of David's mighty men, so was Uriah the Hittite and Eliam. Apparently Ilium's father was Ahithophel, David's counselor. Meaning then. Not only that, but this was the granddaughter of one of David's key counselors. I mean, these were men in his inner circle.
S2: So a betrayal on so many levels.
S5: Betrayal on so many levels because he's been caught up in capitulating to lust that was in his heart.
S2: And so then it gets worse. The woman conceived. This is now second Samuel 11 five as she sends word she and the woman conceived, and she sent and told David, I'm pregnant. So now David has a problem, because now this sin will most certainly be discovered because Bathsheba, her husband, is out fighting the war. So he's nowhere near her. So pick it up. From there, David comes up with a pretty diabolical plan to cover up his own sin.
S5: Yeah, yeah. The woman conceived. That itself is startling. This is one of the more startling conceptions in Scripture. The woman conceived, and she sends a note to David. And all she says is two words in Hebrew. I'm pregnant. This is the only time she speaks in the entire story. I'm pregnant. And after that, David comes up with a plan. Now, interestingly enough, the narrator doesn't say that David is trying to hide his sin. But that's what's very obvious by what he does, right? You see what I'm saying? Yes. So? So he. He calls Uriah. Now, keep in mind, one of the problems we have is we are so familiar with the story. So he calls Uriah. Why is he calling him? Is he calling him to say to him. Listen, brother, I blew it. I did something that was terrible. Here. He summons him back because he wants him to go back home, spend some time with his wife and it's gone. It looks like it's Uriah's baby. And that doesn't work out. So then David tries to make him drunk. It says he literally made him drunk. In the narrative, I just think about this. So Uriah is drunk under pressure from the king, and he still goes out and sleeps with the men that are there instead of going home to be with his wife. So drunk. Intoxicated. Uriah has more integrity than sober David. See, that didn't work out. So David, then has Uriah come and said, I have a message in essence for Joab and the the the sealed document that he gives to Uriah actually contains Darius death sentence in it. And he takes this letter back to Joab. Joab opens it and he says, put Uriah at the front of the line, and withdraw from him. So forth and so on. Now General Joab also is a smart guy. So he's going to go along with this. So think about this. Now, this is David's nephew. So now he's got his nephew involved and in some kind of diabolical scheme to have someone who who has converted to Yahweh murdered. But job has got to do it in such a way so that he doesn't look culpable. So there are several men that Joab has with Uriah. So not only is Uriah murdered, several of the Israeli soldiers are also murdered as well. We don't know who they were. Their names are not mentioned. We just know that some are. Other David's servants fell as well. Right now, David decides to marry her. He takes her and they get married. And it's interesting. Humanly speaking, it looks as if David has gotten away with this. He pulled it off. But then the narrator stops the action. Kind of like a timeout in a basketball game. No, this is what this is what's happening at the end of the chapter. Kind of a timeout where it says, But the thing that David had done displeased the Lord.
S2: We're going to pause right there. Coming up, we're going to have more with Doctor Winfred Neely looking at the life of David. Wouldn't a sin like this be disqualifying? This is a man after God's own heart, even still. Let's talk more about it coming up.
S1: He was running from God, but God's love brought him home. Carl is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: It's a story in Scripture that is uncomfortable to read. You read about David, a man after God's own heart. He got so much right in his life. But this one incident with Bathsheba sees a woman on the rooftop. She's beautiful. He takes her, and then when she gets pregnant, he has her husband murdered. And that's the short summary of this horrific incident recorded in second Samuel 11 and 12. We left it off where David thinks he's gotten away with it because he has the husband killed. He marries Bathsheba. And so it's certainly to the onlooker, looks like he well, maybe he married this widow quickly. And then they conceived quickly and none were the wiser. But it doesn't quite play out that way.
S5: No, it doesn't quite play out that way, because God loves David too much.
S2: To let him get away with.
S5: It, to let him get away with this. He loves him too much. Same thing for all of us as followers of Christ. He loves us too much and the Lord. In the next chapter there's nothing. When you read second Samuel 11 and 12, we have a tendency to separate them out, when in fact, second Samuel 11 and 12 should be read together so that if you're reading your Bible, if you have the time, you should read both of them together. It's one account, not even though we have two chapters. Okay, so chapter 12, the Lord, YHWH Yahweh does all of the sending. Chapter 11 David does the sending. Chapter 12 Yahweh is doing the sending, the Lord is sending the sending, and he sends Nathan to David.
S2: Nathan the prophet.
S5: Nathan, Nathan the prophet to David. And he comes in with a story. And David actually thinks the story is about somebody else, you see. And this rich guy comes in there and he takes this one little ewe lamb from this fella, then slaughters it and gives it to his friend. And David is all upset, outraged and standard. I can just see him now standing up. The man who done this is worthy of death, and the story has done its work at that point. His defenses are down and Nathan looks at him and said, you are the man. And he begins to tell him. Nathan does in the name of the Lord. He exalted you. He blessed you. He used you. Why would you despise him like that? Now this is God actually speaking in the first person. Why would you despise me through Nathan? He's asking him these questions and highlighting to him that sin is a form of insanity. It's folly. It's madness. What you've done here. And you've had Uriah the Hittite killed with the sword of the enemies of God, of the sons of Ammon, and taken his wife to be your wife. And as a consequence of this, God says to him, the sword shall never depart from your house. That's going to be a sword like experience over your house for the rest of your life. And so you think about all of the consequences that are going to come out of this. Number one, that baby is going to die on the seventh day. It says, I suspect that the seven days after the baby was born. Didn't make it to the eighth day. The day of circumcision, right? The unnamed baby dies in the next chapter. Amnon, the crown prince, rapes his own sister. His half sister. He rapes her. Absalom and his own brother is going to have him murdered because David is passive. Now he's paralyzed. He can't do anything about this kind of egregious behavior within his own family. Now what? David says I have sinned against the Lord. I've sinned against the Lord. And something unexpected happens. The Lord forgives David.
S2: Yeah. And and that's when you think about the forgiveness of God. Sometimes when you think about it in your own life. Yeah. You have tremendous gratitude, of course, but but sometimes we have a tendency when we look at stories like this or even other people's lives, we don't necessarily want the forgiveness of God to be extended so freely. Sometimes when we think what's been done is too heinous. This?
S5: Yeah, well, that's the scandal of the narrative. Yeah, and it's scandalized a lot of thinkers who've dealt with this text. One, the fact that God forgave David, what he did were capital offenses in ancient Israel. They required the death penalty. The deliberate taking of a human life required the death penalty. Adultery in connection with what he's done with another man's wife required the death penalty. So no doubt David is expecting that the Lord is going to strike him down the same way that he struck down Navajo in first Samuel chapter 25. The Lord is going, it's going to strike me down. But instead God forgives David because of his confession. The Bible does say, if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. So God does forgive David, but remember, the consequences will follow him for the rest of his life. You can do something crazy, be forgiven by God, and even restored, but the consequences may follow you and your family for the rest of your life.
S2: So what do you. What's the. I want to give you the final word here. What's the main takeaway from from something like this? Because obviously there's the one sin can have, even though forgiven can have unbelievable consequences. And I think all of us in our lives have seen in varying degrees, the impact of, of sin. But then there's also the scandal, the scandal of grace that we are so clearly the beneficiaries of.
S5: Well, let me say this Two things here one, you have the birth of Solomon in the narrative. Now, we know from the chronicler that Bathsheba and chronicles Bathsheba as she's named here, had four children. Solomon was not the first child, he was the fourth one. But in this narrative, the narrator goes to the future and brings the birth of Solomon and places it right here. Wow. In the midst of this text to highlight the grace of God and some commentators, I think it was Walter Brueggemann who said that the grace extended to David seems, humanly speaking, more scandalous than what he had done. But that's the grace of God. That's the grace of God. But yet at the same time, he's going to pay a dear price for that, as I have preached this text, one of the things that I have said to my listeners is this it will cost you to walk with God, but it will cost you and your family much, much more if you do not. That's the big takeaway. It will cost you to walk with God, but will cost you and your family much, much more if you do not. Especially if you are a leader and have been entrusted with stewardship and power and authority and to to abuse, that is absolutely, absolutely devastating with massive consequences. Right. Forgiven? Yeah, sure. He was restored. He sure was. But the consequences followed him for the rest of her life, even on up into the New Testament when we're dealing with the genealogy of the Lord Jesus Christ. It says Solomon was born by her of Uriah the Hittite. All of these centuries later, that's still being brought up to remind us of the danger of saying yes to sin, and also the scandal of the grace of God. This is the family that the Lord Jesus Christ identifies himself with in Matthew. Meaning, none of us frankly deserve anything from God. All of us deserve to be in hell today. It's only by the grace of God that we're on our way to heaven as followers of Christ, and by the power of the spirit, he keeps us from our own selves.
S1: Start your day moving closer to Jesus. You're listening to Carl and crew.
S2: What? Did God love you too much to let you get away with? I'm fascinated by that statement that Doctor Neeley made about David, because it was actually the love of God that caused David to to get caught. Essentially, it was an act of mercy that his sin was exposed.
S3: No doubt.
S2: Which is the thought of being exposed in your sin is terrifying, right?
S3: No one wants that. It's not a good feeling.
S2: But it's the love of God that allows us to not continue on a path that ultimately will lead to destruction.
S3: It's worse. It's worse than having your sin made known.
S2: And for David, you know, Psalm 51 is a famous psalm, and it was written by David when Nathan goes to confront him in his sin, and David when he realizes that he's the guy that's being described in that little, that little example.
S4: Oh, it's me.
S2: It's.
S4: You.
S2: He owns it quickly.
S3: Very quickly. Once he realizes this is who we're talking about, everyone sees it. Well, at least the prophet and God did. Then he gets on his knees.
S2: I'm going to read to you Psalm 51. This was David's response. He says, have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love, according to your abundant mercy, blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against you. You only have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment. Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me. Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart. A couple more verses here. He says, purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean. Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness. Let the bones that you have broken rejoice. Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquities. Created me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. I read Psalm 51 one through ten. A couple more verses, but we'll stop there. But this one, maybe you've heard there's a song that was written, created me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. I remember singing it in church when I was growing up. I didn't know that it was linked to this. But when you think about David's desire to have a clean heart, to be purified, his acknowledgment that when he says, I'm against you and you only have I sinned says not to suggest that Bathsheba wasn't sinned against that Uriah wasn't sinned against. But ultimately the one that we answer to is God. Our sin is we deal with God for our sin even more than we deal with other people.
S3: Absolutely. The essence of sin, no matter what it is, always is, stands in the presence of God and is judged there.
S2: Yeah.
S1: Your spiritual pit stop to keep you going in the race. You're listening to Carl and crew.
S2: You ever been relieved that you got caught? Because carrying around whatever, whatever you'd lied about or tried to hide from your parents or your teacher? Sometimes there's relief that comes from even when you're caught. Like, oh, boy. Now I don't at least I can stop.
S4: Out there.
S2: Lying.
S4: Yeah. It's done. At least I don't have to.
S2: Carry around this weight of. Ah. Are they going to find out? Did I get away with it?
S4: Yeah.
S2: You know, and when you're. When you're younger, maybe it's you cheated on a test or you didn't. Didn't. You know the classic the kid who hides hides the report card because they don't want mom and dad to see it. It's like, are they going to find out? Are they. Are they not? You know, sometimes it's the mercy of God that allows us to have our sin exposed in some way, doesn't have to be necessarily in some public way, but allows someone to catch us and stop us and bring us to our senses. That's what happened with David. Nathan confronted him in his sin. At first, David didn't get it when he set up this scenario. So what would you say to a guy who goes and steals this? What was a the the one lamb a lamb.
S3: Yeah.
S2: And David's sense of justice. Well that's absolutely wrong. And he doesn't take him a second to realize Nathan says it's you. You're the man. He had taken the wife of Uriah. He had raped her, for lack of a better word. Let's just call it what it is. She gets pregnant. He has Uriah killed. Covers it up, marries her, and then tries to go on with life. Yeah, but the mercy of God. God loved him too much to let him get away with it. What? Did God love you too much to let you get away with? Let's go to John. First time caller from Idaho. Tell me.
S6: So God love me too much to let me get away with continuing to live as a drug addict and kill myself. I was a meth head, a deviant, got busted for manufacturing methamphetamine, went to prison where God got Ahold of my life. And this has been a couple decades ago now. And I'm. I'm married to a pastor's daughter. I have grandkids and a family and my my family that had disowned me because of my drug use and theft and craziness is now part of my life again. And I if God hadn't allowed me to go to prison, I would have died of an overdose long ago. So he was gracious enough to use prison to save me.
S2: Wow, John, first time caller from Idaho. Thank you so much for sharing your story. That's a freedom story. Let's go to Kathy. First time caller from Michigan. What? Did God love you too much to let you get away with?
S7: I was a brand new student at Moody Bible Institute and had only been a Christian for a year, and a professor asked us to do a stake take home test that we could do in our dorm room. But I didn't know the Bible well enough. And so I opened the Bible to answer the questions, and I thought, I won't get a very good grade on this, but I got an A, which made me feel very guilty. I wouldn't have gotten an A unless I opened that Bible to take the test. So a month or so later, I wrote him a note and told him that I cheated and he wrote me back and said, thank you so much for telling me. And from then on, he didn't do any more take home Bible tests for students.
S2: Wow. So, Kathy, the opening the Bible, I'm assuming was not allowed for this take home test.
S7: Yes. You were not supposed to open the Bible, but as a brand new Christian, I hardly knew anything about the Bible. So that's why I opened it. But as I continued to be a student there, then I learned more and more what was right and what was wrong. And then I realized, well, that wasn't a good choice.
S2: Oh, boy. Cathy, first time caller from Michigan. You know, it's the love of God that sometimes allows us to to have our sin exposed. God loves us too much sometimes to leave us. It's the exposure of God. Sometimes that brings hope because he doesn't leave us where we're at.
S1: Walking closer to Jesus every day. You're listening to Carl and crew.
S2: You know you can get yourself in trouble if you start to look at life based on what you think people deserve or don't deserve, or what you deserve or don't deserve. Why are you laughing?
S3: Because, uh. Okay, so I fall into this trap a little too much sometimes. especially when I'm driving, I'm driving and someone, you know, someone's just speeding or going and I'm I'm upset with how they're driving. I go, come on, man, can't you just like, calm down a little bit? And then I'm driving and sometimes maybe I'm really late for something. Or maybe I feel like I need to get somewhere and it's urgent or important or extreme, and I, you know, sometimes it has been extreme where I've needed to get somewhere quickly. And it's not a good thing if I don't. And so I, I'm driving fast and I'm cutting around people and I go, well, it's justified because I have something that I need to do. And I'm like, well, you know, everyone in their car is thinking the exact same thing. Yeah. What are you doing? Getting upset at those people. But then sometimes you're doing the same thing that you're getting upset about.
S2: Or have you ever had, like, there's like a long line where everybody's supposed to merge and everybody's kind of weaving in. Then there's that one car that just cuts, like goes on the shoulder, goes all the way to the.
S3: Front, the shoulder drivers.
S2: And then, you know, there's this, this strong sense of like justice of like, this person doesn't deserve to be let in right now.
S3: Absolutely. You're like, man, if I just saw them coming, I could have got on the shoulder and I could have blocked them from going any further.
S2: They didn't wait their turn like everybody else. Nope. Right.
S4: Like that construction, you know, it all comes down to one lane, and people just stay in that other lane as far as they can, and they cut in. But you've been sitting there and sitting there and sitting there. Yep. Get over this.
S2: Trips up my son more than anything else.
S3: He's a high justice.
S2: He is a high justice. And his sense of what's fair, what's like call balls and strikes, like there's no gray zone. And so he was in third grade and he was really struggling in PE class. He's a great student. PE class was giving him trouble not because he wasn't able to do the sports because he's a good athlete, but he couldn't get past his sense of fair. And so it kind of came to a head where he was like his PE teacher had to keep like telling him to calm down because he's freaking out, because the third grade girl in his class didn't touch the base when she's rounding the kickball bases. Therefore, how dare she not be called out? And he is losing his mind.
S3: He's got a point.
S2: Losing his mind. She did not touch the base.
S3: Can't touch second.
S2: If she's a third grade girl, she needs to touch the base. They shouldn't get the point. My team shouldn't. And they don't even let people declare winners and losers.
S3: Oh, that's.
S2: Also makes him really frustrated because.
S4: Yeah, because.
S2: He's kind of like, everybody gets to finish.
S4: Right?
S2: Drives him nuts.
S3: I'm sure it does.
S2: And it doesn't even matter if he doesn't win. He would rather lose than nobody be declared the winner.
S3: I think that's I think that's pretty Honorable. I like that one. I think on that one, I don't think he's going too far.
S2: It's it's just this idea of right is right. Wrong is wrong. Fair is fair, I deserve this. They don't deserve this. I don't deserve it. And so he will say, if I don't deserve a medal or a trophy, don't give it to me.
S3: Yeah.
S2: Don't give me the. Everybody gets it.
S4: The participation.
S2: Doesn't want.
S4: It. Yeah, yeah I don't want it fair.
S2: When we think about our life in Christ, we can fall off on two different sides of this. Okay. The high ridge Carl likes to talk about. We can start to get in our minds what we think we deserve from God.
S3: Yes.
S2: Right.
S3: Yeah.
S2: I deserve things to go this way. I've done this for you, God. Therefore you should X, y, or Z. You should reward me in this way. Or we can start to get so fixated on how messed up we are.
S3: Yeah, too fixated on how messed up we are.
S2: That we can let our idea of being so undeserving of the grace of God actually keep us from it.
S3: Yes.
S2: How could God ever want somebody like me? I don't deserve the grace of God.
S4: Yeah.
S2: True statement. None of us do. Correct. None of us deserve the grace of God. So when it comes to our relationship with God, we have to get the idea of fairness deserving out of our minds on both sides because we deserve nothing from him. But yet he still extends to us. Grace. Mercy. Forgiveness. There's no way God should have saved someone like me. But he did. Tell me your story. That's your story too. It's all of our stories. There's no way he should have saved someone like me. But he did. 805 five. Five. 55, 78, 98. But it's not fair. I'm glad it's not fair. 805 55. 7898. Grace isn't fair. Wilfred. First time caller from Florida. You did not deserve the grace of God. But you got it anyway. Tell me about it.
S8: Well, ma'am, I was given a life sentence. I wasn't a good guy. And, uh, God overturned that life sentence, and, uh, I'm out here. I have an awesome job. I'm an HVAC technician. I never thought I'd ever be anybody in my life. And God has restored my family. My daughter, my granddaughter. I you know, I that is the grace of God. That's a miracle.
S2: Yeah. Wilfred. First time caller from Florida. Thank you for your call this morning. Do you have a story, a freedom story? Uh, I'm being a little tongue in cheek here. There's there's no way we don't deserve the grace of God. The grace of God is the free gift extended to it to us. But you get it. You get where I'm going, right? We. You look at your life. You look at your story and go. There's no way God should have saved someone like me. But he did. 855 five 7898.
S1: A basketball mom who's mastered the dad joke. Ali is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: The idea that we're sort of good people is one of the most dangerous lies of the enemy. This idea that I'm a mostly, I'm a pretty good person. I mean, I do more good things than I do bad things. I am, you know, I try to be charitable to people. I hear people say this when it comes to thinking about their spiritual state. Most people look at their own sense of goodness as their way to sort of prop themselves up and and make themselves okay. And the reality spiritually is that there is no one good. All of us are born into sin. We cannot meet God's perfect standard. The Bible says, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. It's true of every single person who's ever lived except for one Jesus. And so the bad news is that we've all sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and that we deserve death. None of us will ever be good enough for God because perfection is unattainable for us. We are sinners. Here's the good news that because of Jesus who took our place, who took the penalty that we deserved because what we deserved was death. Jesus went to the cross. That's why he died. That's why he had to die to satisfy the wrath of God, to take that penalty so that we had the opportunity in our imperfect state to take on his perfection. So that when you or I stand before God, when we are in Christ, we stand in the righteousness of Christ. We are not going to be evaluated based on does our good outweigh our bad? That's not the question that ultimately matters. It's have I put my faith in Jesus Christ for salvation or not? That, and that alone is what our entire eternal future hinges upon. Our answer to that question have I put my faith in Jesus Christ for salvation? So today, if you're tired of trying to be a quote unquote good person, give up that fight because you never will be a good person. You can be a forgiven person. You can be a saved person. You can be a person who's perfectly righteous even because of Jesus Christ. How does this whole thing work? There's some mystery to it. But by the power of the Holy Spirit, I believe it's becoming clear to you that when you confess that you are a sinner, that you need a Savior, that that is Jesus the only way. He's the way, the truth and the life. There's no other way to peace with God except through Jesus Christ. So today, I want to invite you to put your trust and faith in him. Just confess that you're a sinner, that you need a Savior. Cry out to God, and I believe that he will save you because His word says so. If that's you, you have that honest conversation. Text the word new. We want to encourage you with some practical next steps. Text the word new to 805, 55, 7898. Just text the word new to 805, 55, 78, 98. This song I handpicked because I want you to hear this one right now.