S1: Coming to you from the Morning Star Mission sponsored studio. This is Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Do you have someone in your life who is a trustworthy source for advice? You go to someone who's godly, who speaks into your life from time to time. I want to take you to a passage of Scripture in Exodus 18. We're looking at different dads, the role of a father all over Scripture. I want to take you to the story of Moses. Now, Moses was charged with leading God's people in a major way. I mean, his responsibility was great. Moses was also a husband and a dad. Yeah. It's interesting.
S3: He had a lot to do.
S2: He had a lot to do. So the context for this in Exodus 18 is that his father in law brings Moses's wife and his sons to come see him. They have gone home for whatever reason, and father in law does a really nice thing and travels with them and says, Hey Moses, I've brought your wife and your sons to see you. And so Moses has a wonderful greeting with his father in law, Jethro and Jethro. Pretty much every time he's mentioned in Scripture, it says he's Moses's father in law, like, every single time. So the text really wants us to to know that this is Moses's father in law. So this is an important guy in his life and the context. Jethro is the priest of Midian. If you remember, back when Moses had to flee Egypt, you remember that when he had to flee for his life, he went and sought refuge in Midian. And that's where he met his wife. And so that's the context of their relationship. And from what we can see in Scripture, they had a pretty positive relationship. Uh, he tended the flocks. Moses, at one point in time tended the flocks for Jethro when he asked to be released to go back to Egypt. Jethro says, go in peace. Go ahead. So their history is a good one. This is important. I'm building some context for understanding why this piece of advice given by Jethro. There was some. There's some good grounding for which he stood to offer this. So they do the greeting and Jethro, he's heard all about what God has done for Moses and for Israel, and he kind of rejoices with, as Moses recounts, all that's gone on. Jethro is so happy. It says in verse nine, And Jethro rejoiced for all the good that the Lord had done to Israel, in that he had delivered them out of the hand of the Egyptians. Jethro is all in with Moses. He believes in him. He knows that God is with him. So he blesses the Lord based on what he's doing for Moses. But then we come to a scene where Jethro just starts to observe Moses, this great leader used mightily of the Lord, and he just watches for a minute, just stands back like a good father in law. He's already honored and loved his son in law, and now he just he's just hanging out. You can picture, you know, how sometimes dads sort of stand in the background. They're just they're just smiling, taking it all in.
S3: Yeah. Soaking it up.
S2: Let's pick it up. Exodus 18, verse 13. Go ahead Jonathan.
S3: The next day, Moses sat to judge the people, and the people stood around Moses from morning till evening, when Moses's father in law saw all that he was doing for the people, he said, what is this that you're doing for the people? Why do you sit alone? And why? And all the people stand around you from morning till evening? And Moses said to his father in law, because the people come to me to inquire of God when they have a dispute, they come to me, and I decide between one person and another, and I make them know the statutes of God and his laws. Moses's father in law said to him, what you're doing is not good.
S2: We'll stop there for a second. So I want you to understand what's happening here. So Moses is trying to be both the main intercessor and the judge for the whole nation. So everybody's sort of standing around all day waiting to see Moses.
S3: Yeah.
S2: Just waiting. Moses is the only guy, apparently in their eyes who can do anything for him. And that's understandable because he's served in this role for them. He's got great trust. He hears from God. But Moses's father in law goes, this is one of my favorite lines in all of scripture.
S3: Honestly, it's pretty good.
S2: What you are doing is not good. It's like, huh?
S3: Well, and it's confusing because it's not like it's a sin issue or something.
S2: It's no, it's not, not good in the terms that it's sinful. It's not good in the terms that son. There's a better way. We'll pick it up. But Exodus 18, verse 18. Go ahead, Jonathan.
S3: You and the people, you and the people with you certainly will wear yourselves out, for the thing is too heavy for you. You're not able to do it alone. Now obey my voice. I will give you advice, and God be with you. You shall represent the people before God and bring their cases to God. And you shall warn them about the statutes and laws, and make them know the way in which they must walk and what they must do. Moreover, look for able men from all the people men who fear God, who are trustworthy and hate a bribe, and place such men over the people as chiefs of thousands of hundreds of 50s and of tens, and let them judge the people at all times, every great matter they shall bring to you. But any small matter they shall decide themselves. So it will be easier for you, and they will bear the burden with you. If you do this, God will direct you and you will be able to endure. And all this people will go to their place in peace.
S2: In other words, Moses, you need to delegate.
S3: Yep. You need some help?
S2: That's it. It is for your good. For the good of the people. And to God's glory that you delegate. And not just to anyone. So this is really, really solid advice. Absolutely right. He's saying don't just pick any old people. You need to pick men who fear God, who are trustworthy, who hate a bribe. Place them over the people. But then here's another layer to it. And he's not just looking at their character. That's important. He also wants Moses to consider their capabilities, put them over thousands, hundreds of 50s and of tens. In other words, consider their character and their capacity. You're going to have able men who fear God, who are trustworthy, who hate a bribe, who are best suited to lead the thousands. You're also going to have men who fear God, who are trustworthy, who hate a bribe, who were capable, most capable, and suited to lead the tens. This is delegation and administration on steroids, as Carl likes to say.
S3: Absolutely.
S2: That's it. And so the story goes on. Moses listens to his father in law. He does all that he says. And you know what? He takes Jethro's advice. Jethro heads on back home. Coming up, what can we take from a story like this? I think that there's some good lessons, both for the giver of advice and also when we find ourselves on the receiving end. Coming up.
S1: Romans eight brought her to Jesus while broadcasting traffic overnight. Super di is in the crew. It's curl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Unsolicited advice from your in-laws sometimes can go bad, but in the case of Moses and Jethro, it was awesome.
S3: A great example of how it should be.
S2: Yeah, Jethro, Moses father in law gives him a great piece of advice, which starts with a bit of a correction, a rebuke. What you are doing, Moses, is not good. These people are standing around all day, the entire nation of people standing around waiting for you to solve their problems. Yeah, this is going to wear you out and it's not good for them.
S3: I think that's a good indication that this was this was good advice to receive because it came with a not just I disagree with what you're doing, but I have concern for you. Okay. The burden is too heavy. So I think that, yeah, there's a a love in the communication that is felt, which makes the advice easier to receive.
S2: So what is it that qualifies Jethro to give such good but maybe tough to hear advice. You know a couple things that you can note when you read through this passage in Exodus 18. It's very clear from that, the very beginning how much Jethro believes in what God is doing through Moses and through the nation of Israel. So he's all on board with that. There's no sense that he's threatened by that, that he's intimidated. I think that's important. He believes in the mission, right?
S3: Absolutely.
S2: He's for Moses, so he's more likely to give advice. That's going to be God glorifying and for the good of Moses. Now, I mentioned this because I think when both when we are giving advice and when we're receiving advice, the relationship and the motive is important. Have you ever held back on giving advice because you weren't sure if your motive was right?
S3: That's a good question.
S2: Think about that for a second. Sometimes our motive, whether it can be a little bit of jealousy or a little bit of wanting to control the situation. Sometimes we have to check our own heart before we give advice.
S3: Yeah, absolutely.
S2: And Jethro, because they had such a healthy relationship, he was able to give and Moses was able to receive a man if there had been some sort of a fracture, if there had been dispute, if there wasn't that built in level of trust, or if Jethro was not on board with with what God was doing through Moses. Yeah, totally different scenario.
S3: Oh, absolutely. And I don't think it would have gone nearly as well.
S2: And so for Moses's standpoint, Moses has seen great victory, right? Yeah. Epic victory. I mean, the whole book of Exodus, we get to see Moses leading the people in some spectacular ways. He could have easily been like, hey, I got this.
S3: Did you not just see me hold up my cane? And I parted the Red sea. And I mean, it was God, but.
S2: Kind of been doing this. I hear from the Lord pretty clearly. Yep. Like, thanks, but no thanks kind.
S3: Of thing could have happened.
S2: But, Moses, there's a there's a it's a real display of humility here that he is able to receive this advice.
S3: Absolutely.
S2: And given by somebody who has not been used of the Lord as as he has. So think about this when sometimes when someone tells us something, we can feel like I know better, right? I certainly I've been doing this. I got it, I've got it. I've got some expertise here, but I, I love the picture of this is both the kind of model it sets out, both for the giver and the recipient, the humility that it takes to really consider what someone's saying. Might God be speaking through somebody, even who you feel like I've got it here. This is not an area where I normally need advice. Consider what they're saying, consider the relationship, and make sure that when you give the kind of advice that you're hearing from God, right.
S3: That's a big deal, too.
S4: Don't open your mouth unless you know. Come on.
S2: This is out of Exodus 18. I really love this story. Consider it today. A dad in Scripture this time a dad in law went so well.
S1: He was sharing the gospel on the radio and then he got saved. Young thunders in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Hey, I'm Ali, this is Carl and crew. Coming up, father's day can be complicated for blended families. Uh, Ron Deal is an expert. He has spent a lot of his career talking to blended families. And he's a family therapist, he's an author, and he's going to have some practical advice for the step dad.
S1: She was trying to earn her way to God, but God showed her she didn't have to. Ali is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: As we head towards Father's Day. Coming up, there's a category of dads who maybe sometimes feel a little tension this time of year. It's the stepdad. There's not a lot of clarity around how this holiday, how this celebration fits you. We have a special guest who's going to help us. Ron Diehl, best selling author, licensed marriage and family therapist, founder and president of Smart Step Families. Joining us right now for Step Dad's. This can be a little confusing. What do we do with this day?
S5: Yeah, exactly. And thank you for talking about this, because there's so many men out there who are doing a great job and they're just not sure anybody's noticing, so I'm glad that we're taking notice right now. You know, think about it. Father's day, Mother's Day as well, very clearly designed to honor and respect biological mom and dad. And everybody's hearts. Go back to that. If you've lost your father, you're thinking about that loss at this time of year. If you had a marvelous father, you're celebrating. If you had a lousy father, you're again feeling some pain from that experience. Where does stepdad fit in to the picture? Like, it's sort of like, okay, you know, if your church does something to honor fathers, you know, here's one of the issues we have is kind of the Christian community not really having a clear way to honor the people who are playing parental roles, but yet don't fall into the right category. So, you know, we're going to honor Stepdads, and we're going to have you stand and we're going to give you a round of applause or whatever it is your church might do. Well, does the stepdad stand up like he's sitting there and he knows his kids are looking at and and he's thinking, okay, I'm not their dad. I don't want them to think that. I think I'm their dad. And if their dad were here, I would clearly not be standing up. But everybody else is looking at me. My wife is looking at me like I should be standing up. Do you see how he's running around in his head trying to figure out who am I? Yeah. What role do I play and how do I demonstrate that? And how do I respond in this community moment. And it's confusing. And that sort of represents the role he plays day in and day out. He's confused sometimes about who he's supposed to be and who he is to the children. And so it's just hard. What I want the Christian community to do is say, yes, we see you. We acknowledge that you're playing a role. And thank you so very much for often taking the short end of the stick. You're doing all the stuff you got all the responsibilities, you're paying all the bills, you're you're doing laundry, you're washing dishes, you're helping these kids, and you're trying to be a good character builder in their life. And yet you don't get the honor of being dad. That it's a tough spot to be in.
S2: So speak to that specifically. Let's just go after. Does the stepdad stand up and be acknowledged on Father's Day? I would say yes, but I get that there's some complicated dynamics there. What do you say?
S5: Yeah, I would say have a conversation with your wife, your kids ahead of time. Because if you've co-created the reality that says, yes, we want to honor you on that day, then the answer is yes, you stand up. But if you're feeling a lot of tension and maybe, you know, some step parents often have good relationships with 2 or 3 of the kids, but there's one that is sort of at odds. And so again, there's ambiguity wrapped up in that. So talk with family members. Try to get a sense of what's appropriate for you. What posture you should take when those things happen. And then you're acting out of some shared agreement about what it should look like, rather than you making assumptions. That's putting pressure on their heart to like love, honor you in a way that they're not quite ready to do.
S2: Yeah. You have a book specifically for Stepdads outlined for us some of the advice that you have for Stepdads who are taking on what you call the heroic challenge heroes by choice.
S5: So the book is called The Smart Step Dad. It's one of a dozen in our Step Family resource books, along with our podcasts and live events and all kinds of things we do at Family Life Blended. Let me tell you a little story. Okay, let's see if we can feel this for a minute. Everybody listening right now. So it's about a guy who's dating a woman. And you know, he just thinks, I mean, life is set. Like they're engaged. They're planning to get married. He is so excited. And all of a sudden she comes to him and says, I got news. I'm pregnant. Now, immediately, he feels two things. Number one, he feels betrayed because he knows that's not his child. That's huge. That just breaks his heart. You can just imagine how he feels about that. The second thing he feels is no responsibility. Disconnected from the child. Like, this is not my kid. This is not my job. This is not my obligations. I'm out. And that totally makes sense when you see it from his point of view. Well, the backstory is the angel of the Lord then goes to Joseph and says, hey, dude, we need you over here. And by the way, it's in the Greek. He said, dude, it's in there somewhere. I'm pretty sure of it. And Joseph chooses to become the stepfather of Jesus. Now hold on. That's a heroic story. Yeah. The God of the universe is choosing to come here, to incarnate, to become and live among us. And he's choosing to love us with everything he has. That's the God of the universe. One of the first things he experiences is being chosen to be loved by somebody who does not have any obligation or responsibility to love Jesus back. Now, I think Stepdads and Stepmoms are doing that day in and day out. I think they're heroes by choice. I think they are amazing people who then have to face the ambiguity of their role and not know exactly what they're supposed to do in every situation is tenuous at times. And it's amazing at best. And, you know, Joseph is a really good example of that. Think about it. We've got people all around us who are choosing. We've got foster parents who do that. We've got adoptive parents who are stepping into that category where they are choosing to love a child that is not theirs. I just think we should give some attention to that. In the Christian community, especially around days like Father's Day.
S2: Now in the US, 50% of children will have a stepparent at some point in their lifetime. 90% of children in Stepfamilies live with their mom and stepdad. I did not know this. I see this statistic that you provided in your book. Are there challenges that are unique to the step dad as opposed to someone stepping in as a step mother role?
S5: Yes there are. Think about leadership. You know, what do we teach men to do? Be the leaders of the home. And imagine a man who maybe has biological children of his own from a previous relationship. He's got two kids, let's say, and he's marrying a woman who's got a couple more kids. And so he knows what being a dad means. He knows what leadership means. He knows what it is to be somebody who's influencing them in positive directions. And so he steps into his stepfather role, making the same assumption, having the same posture, only to discover that that same role that works with his kids creates conflict with his stepchildren or his wife when they just see things from a different point of view. That's confusing. So how do I lead? I thought I knew. I know what the church tells me to do, but in this circumstance it seems like it needs to be played out in a different fashion. And that's exactly what we teach in things like the smart step dad. Yes, you're going to you're going to learn to connect with those children before you correct those children. And it's a different process with your stepchildren than it is your biological kids. And sometimes your wife is going to disagree with some rule that you have that she didn't have for the 15 years she parented those kids before you showed up. Yeah, there's just little all kinds of little nuances like that. And so we teach men to be patient with their bonding with the children. Slow and steady wins the race, and we teach them to understand the limits of their role. On day one. They can become incredibly influential people in the lives of stepchildren, but on day one, probably not. So you're going to come in soft and gentle. You need to respect that rather than coming in like the new sheriff in town with new rules and my way or the highway that's going to undo your leadership, not enhance your leadership. So when men understand what's unique and different about that blended family and blended family relationships, then they come in smart. Hey, that's why we call them smart stepdads. And they don't have to deal with a lot of the difficulties that men who don't understand that end up doing and unfortunately, kind of bring it on themselves.
S2: Yeah. Ron Diehl, our guest right now, Ron, what does this look like in your own journey as a dad?
S5: Well, I am a biological dad. And, you know, here's the thing. My oldest is 30. I'm now a grandfather. I've got a new relationship. And you know what? Every new relationship comes with new opportunities and a few new questions that I didn't have before. So, like, it's so fun to find yourself in a new place. And yet at the same time you have questions. And I think that's one of the things we want to try to do with all men in every situation, whatever they might be in. The reason a band of brothers is important to men is because man, you just feel encouraged when you're when iron sharpening iron and you learn something from each other and you can give back to one another. So one of the things we encourage men to do, step dads to do is find some other guys hang out with those people who are walking a similar road. One of the things our ministry does, family life blended, is we help churches have small groups or Sunday school classes for blended family couples and for men and for women, and that goes a long way towards them again helping one another, spurring each other on towards good things.
S2: Yeah. And you know, the heartbeat of our show, helping people take their next step in their walk with Jesus. And we never want to present things as a this is what you need to do. This is what you ought to do. None of this is possible without the power of the Holy Spirit. I mean, this has to be you. You can effort all you want, but if you want to be the kind of step dad who makes a lasting impact in the life of in the heart of a child. My goodness, it starts with the power of the Holy Spirit.
S5: That's exactly right. We can't do much of anything except mess up our lives by ourselves that we can do by ourselves. Yes, the Holy Spirit steps in. Again, I go back to the story of Joseph in Scripture, and we could quickly reflect on all kinds of families in Scripture that were complicated families with different kinds of relationships. That started off perhaps in the not the best way, but nevertheless, now what are we going to do? How are we going to love in those situations? And over and over again we see the Holy Spirit showing up, teaching, training, talking, encouraging and leading people beyond where they are. You know, here's a here's something I'd love to leave everybody listening to. Whether you're a stepfamily or not, God is not limited by our imperfection. Yeah. The people he has worked with throughout history have been imperfect people imperfect dads, imperfect wives, imperfect husbands, children, families. Dysfunction is the story of the Old Testament families. And yet. And yet God shows up things. Good things happen. And there is redemption and we move forward in Christ.
S2: If you want more from our special guest, Ron Diehl, just text Diehl d e a l to 800 555 7898. A lot of wisdom here. Just text Diehl to 800 555 7898.
S1: He was running from God, but God's love brought him home. Carl is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Coming up on Father's Day, you know, I think about there was a single mom that went to my church. And I remember over the years her always she was so faithful to bringing her son to church. And he was got to kind of see him grow up from when he was really little. And he was kind of squirrelly, you know, as most boys are at that. Yeah.
S3: So it's kind of a requirement.
S2: It's kind of a requirement. So he was a little squirrelly and, you know, but he would come to the youth group and he was he just was always there. And I remember one Father's Day. She put up a post on Facebook and she said, Happy Father's Day. And then she had assembled pictures of her son with all of these different men in the church who had been father figures to her son. So there was a picture of her son with one of the ushers, and then one of the the head of the security team and then the parking ministry guy. So it was and it was I this probably has been maybe ten years now since I saw that post, but I remember it being almost breathtaking in terms of what I thought it it represented that single mom. She went on to remarry, but at the time, he was being fathered in the sense by kind of by committee.
S4: Yeah, I love that. That's beautiful.
S2: By all of the faithful men at the church who would stop and take time to invest in his life, and he didn't have a biological father, and that was super present. But he had this committee of father figures in the church. I thought, what a beautiful picture of what the body of Christ can be. And so Father's Day, like all of these holidays, can bring up some complicated emotions. Maybe your dad is no longer with us. Maybe there was a complicated relationship. Maybe he was absent. But I want to open up the phone lines. Specifically, if you want to give a shout out to a father figure in your life. Maybe they were in your life in childhood. Maybe presently. They weren't your biological dad, but boy, did God use them to make an investment in your life. Who was that person for you? Not your biological dad, but boy, did God use them. 800 555 7898 tell us about that man. That man of God. How did God use a non-biological dad to help father you? 800 555 7898.
S1: Your shot of hope to help you through the day. This is Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: This is Carl and crew. Mornings I'm asking you, how did God use someone in your life? Not your biological dad, but a father figure who made a powerful impact. 805, 55, 7898. Would love to hear about them. Give them a shout out even if they're no longer with us. Let's celebrate and honor the father figures who have made those important investments. 805 55 7898 let's go to Peter, first time caller from Florida. Who was it for you? Not your biological dad, but someone else God used as a father figure.
S6: Well, I my biological dad was out of the picture at 12, so my mom took really good care of me. And I went to a welding college in California. And, uh, there was a guy named Willis Beasley, and, uh, he was he taught me how to weld. I spent ten months, got certified, and, uh, he just he just was really super nice guy and helped me and, uh, made an impact in my life. It was a I've never forgotten him. I can still remember his name. I'm 54 years old now, so you just never really know. You know what? What kind of impact you're going to make in people's lives. So that's why we need to build others up and edify and love them where they're at.
S2: Yeah. Peter, first time caller from Florida. I love that a welding teacher maybe didn't even know. But you know what? I bet he I bet he did. Uh, when people are intentional, maybe they don't get to know the full impact of what it meant, but it takes intentionality to really see see someone. Yes. And and to to pause just a little bit longer in those interactions.
S3: Yeah. That's an intentional move. Yeah.
S2: What do you say? Who did God use in your life? Not your biological father, but a father figure who made a real impact. 800 555 7898 let's get your calls, your stories. 800 555 7898.
S1: You're listening to Curl and Crew on Moody Radio.
S2: You know, sometimes it's a father figure who steps in where there's an absence. Sometimes it's someone who steps in to supplement what your dad is already doing. I have an incredible dad. I'm blessed to still have him in my life. But God has also used other men of God to speak into my life. So? So both are are true. God can use one in the absence or to supplement. So what do you say? Who has God used in your life? Not your biological dad, but boy, did God use them in a powerful way as a father figure. 800 555 7898 let's go to Aisha from Florida. Tell us, who was that for you?
S7: Hi. Good morning. Thank you for having me on. beyond. So I didn't have my dad in my life, but my grandfather was super instrumental along with my grandmother. He would wake me up in the morning, cook my breakfast. He would make sure I got to school whenever I needed that love, care and support. He was certainly there. And my pastor, who I call like a spiritual father, he's still here today. Both of them. And he just takes me as his own child, gives me counsel, advice, prayer and fast for me along with his wife first lady. So I'm super grateful for the body of Christ and God is huge.
S2: That's awesome. Thank you Aisha from Florida. Love that. What do you say? Who is that? That been that father figure who stepped in, uh, 800 555 7898. Randy calling in from Tennessee. It was a coach for you. Tell me about your coach.
S8: Uh, his name was George, and, uh, he was a coach of a church league basketball team. He got me on his team when I was kind of going the wrong way and turned me around. And later on in life as a man, I was able to coach against him, and he beat me one time and I beat him one time, and he's gone home to go home to be with the Lord.
S2: Oh, boy. Randy, what's his name?
S8: George. His name is George.
S2: Wow. That's incredible. What was it like when you when you faced off? Was it a little friendly rivalry? Did you both want to get the win?
S8: Oh, yeah. We. I wanted to beat him. He wanted to beat me. Uh, the first time I played against him, I. I kind of lost my cool, uh, with the referees because they were. I thought they were making some really bad calls, and he pulled me aside after the game was over, and, uh, you know, he he didn't get on me real hard, but he told me he couldn't, you know, never lose your cool in front of your players.
S2: Oh, he was still. Still, even all those years later, he was still giving you kind of mentoring and coaching.
S8: Yeah. And that's been that's been almost 60 years ago now.
S2: Wow.
S8: Almost 50 years ago. I take that back. I ain't that old.
S2: Randy from Tennessee. You know, Randy, I spent a lot of time in gyms watching basketball games. And I would be lying if I said there hasn't been a time or two where I got a little frustrated with the officiating.
S4: No. You never.
S2: Wife of a coach, former player, and the mom of two competitive basketball players. Yep, I get it. What do you say? Who's that man? That man of God that the Lord used powerfully? Not your biological dad, but a father figure. 800 555 7898. Cheryl calling in this morning from Tennessee. Tell me.
S9: Hi. Um, I wanted to tell about A man who was like a biological father. My dad died of cancer when I was two, and this was a professor in college. He would he had said several times that he felt like a father to me. Um, and I felt like a daughter. And he would come up to me and pray with me and ask me what I needed prayer for.
S2: Wow.
S9: He contacted me a few times after college. I contacted him several times and he died about a year ago.
S2: Wow. Cheryl, did you ever get a chance to tell him the kind of impact he'd made in your life?
S9: Very definitely.
S2: Yes. Thank you so much, Cheryl from Tennessee. A phenomenal love to hear these stories. If you've got one, if you want to shout out a man in your life who's been used by God as a father figure. Not your biological dad, but boy, did they step in. 855 five. 78. 98. Love to hear from you this morning. 800 555 78. 98.
S1: It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: We're celebrating the non-biological dads who are used by God as father figures. So many great stories already this morning. We'd love to hear yours. 805, 55, 7898. We've got Caleb calling in this morning from Mississippi. Tell me, what do you say?
S8: Uh.
S6: Good morning. I just wanted to.
S10: Tell you about my adopted dad. I was adopted when I was three days old. And, uh, really? Truthfully, he was the only dad that I knew growing up. Um, him and my mama took me in when they didn't have to. And what a difference that made in my life. And it really just kind of exemplifies the love that God has for us. Even more for me, because I believe I don't I don't think God really, um, really needed anybody. But he wanted us, so he chose us. And and for my mama and daddy to take me in when I was not biologically theirs. And, uh, to love me and raise me and raise me in the church and, uh, to have a relationship with God that just I just think that makes it even that much better.
S2: Yeah. Caleb, thank you so much for your call this morning. And, you know, you as an adopted child, probably understand better than most the beauty of being chosen. Uh, God has adopted us into his family. We are grafted in as his children. Thank you so much for your call this morning. Let's go to Jeff. First time caller from Florida. Who did God use? A non-biological father figure?
S8: Yes. Uh, I.
S11: Grew up on a block in this near the city of Detroit, where there was a local church or little church at the end of the street, and there was a man in that church that seen me running around the neighborhood causing havoc. And from the time of about eight years old on, he would reach out to me. Of course, he would take me to church and, uh, he then, uh, started, uh, seeking me out and inviting me to go to hockey games and basketball games, uh, with him and his family. And I did that for years and really showed me what a loving, godly family is like. Um, my my parents weren't interested in that. And he had a profound impact at the age of 12 In that church, I gave my life to Christ, and he's been my Lord and Savior ever since. And and I know God used him to just draw me to him. Yeah. And I'll be forever grateful for that.
S2: Oh, Jeff, thank you so much. First time caller from Florida. What a beautiful story. Let's get a couple more in here. Judy, first time caller from Ohio. Who did God use? Not your biological dad, but somebody who was a father figure.
S12: Hi. It was my neighbor who was an elderly man, and we bought our first home. It was a handyman special. He helped my husband with all kind of projects. He helped me introduce me to gardening, and he was just a wonderful, kind man. He said he used to say I'm the same every day. And I said, what do you mean by that? And he would just laugh. And then we realized he was always happy, always smiling, never moody, always happy to see you. And a lot of people aren't like that. You could wave to your neighbor for one day and they ignore you the next day. So he taught me what a godly, just a wonderful man. He's been God for 35 years. And we talk about him almost every day and how much we miss him.
S2: Man, Judy, I love that first time caller from Ohio. Hopefully your neighbors. So I want my neighbors to consistently wave at me. But, you know, I get it, I get it. Let's go to Danny from Indiana. Who was that? That man of God used so powerfully.
S8: Yes. Uh, the man.
S13: For me was a local pastor. His name was Johnny Johnson. He was a he was just a great old southern country pastor. And I walked into his church one day. I was in my early 20s, and I was at a pivotal, like a crossroad in my life. I could have went either way. And he he looked at me, he welcomed me with open arms. And then he just he said, I had a sermon planned today. And he said, you know, God spoke to me and he said, I'm going to speak from the heart. And he put his notes down, and he spoke right to my soul. I mean, everything I was asking and questioning my wife. It was like I was the only one in the room. And he spoke something to me that I've never forgotten. I've used it many times. I've picked up several people walking. I picked up, you know, I became in contact with several people. And this, this one statement has always just burned and seared to my soul. And he said, God is faithful and the best is yet to come. And that those words have never spoke truer in my life. And they hit me today, just as they did back then. And he and I corresponded throughout the years. And I could ask him anything, and he would just speak to me like I was just his son. And and I will never forget him and his family. They were just such a godsend to everybody that came in contact with.
S2: Wow, Danny, thank you so much for your call. God is faithful and the best is yet to come. I love that. Let's get one more in here. Ed, first time caller from Tennessee. Ed, who was it? Not your biological dad, but man, did God use this man in your life. Tell me.
S11: Yeah. Good morning.
S14: Uh, yes. Uh, I grew up in Louisville, Kentucky, and, uh, I was about ten, 11, 12 years old, if I recall. And my Sunday school teacher, his name was Ellis Hampton. And, uh, Ellis was just such a godly man. Uh, he didn't I don't remember him doing or saying anything to me in particular, but he was such a loving, kind, gentle man that he made such an impact on me. And I was wild as a deer. And then my family. Yeah, my family fell out of church when I was about 13. It was a rough 20 years, but I went back to that same church when I was 33 years old, and he was still there and his family was still there. And to this day he's went to be with the Lord. But to this day, I still think about him on a regular basis of what an impact this kind, gentle man had on me that he would take his time to teach young boys like me. And it didn't. Turn me around then. But it did later. So I just think about him. And you still just love him to this day. A great man he was.
S2: Thank you so much. Ed, first time caller from Tennessee. Love hearing these stories. Great men used of God.
S1: You can take him out of Alaska, but you can't take Alaska out of him. Carl is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: I want to update you on Carl, who you have not heard this morning. Carl is actually traveling to Burundi. He's going to Burundi in Burundi this week in East Africa, doing some work with pastors. Carl's a pastor himself and has a heart to train and to love on other pastors to instruct in leadership. So we are hopefully going to be getting some updates from him if we can get the connection to work, but looking forward to having him back with us next week. Coming up. Let's hear from Janet Parshall in the market with Janet Parshall popping in this morning.
S1: She's a choreographer extraordinaire and everything is Greek to her. Super die is in the crew. It's Karl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Well, when I was a little girl, I remember wanting nothing more than to grow up and be a strong and independent woman. That meant a lot to me. Some of the stereotypes that I saw, the expectations that felt like were placed on women I didn't like. And so I sort of rejected, at least in my mind, in my ten, 12, 15 year old self. I thought, whatever that is, I'm not so sure I want that. I want to be independent. I want to be career oriented. Thankfully, with some maturity, my ideas of what it means to be a woman and specifically a woman of God have evolved quite a bit and are more biblical. But I want to bring in a special guest to talk about this biblical femininity. Janet Parshall, a well known broadcaster, broadcasts from the nation's capital in the market with Janet Parshall, which afternoons here on Moody Radio. It can be confusing for a girl growing up who wants to be successful, wants to be accomplished, and sometimes feels a little bit held back by what it feels like is expected of her.
S15: True. But I have to tell you that I think that I would. This is me personally, and I'm so glad you started with your story, because my story very much ties into the feminist movement in this country as well. I made a countercultural decision when I married my precious husband, my high school sweetheart, that we would stay home and I would raise my children. And God blessed us with four back to back under six Sarah, Rebecca, Samuel and Joseph while Craig was going to law school. And that was about as countercultural as you can get, because in the midst of that decision, we were watching women march in New York City burning pieces of their underwear, making demands like a woman needs a man, like a fish needs a bicycle, and womanhood is an illegitimate profession. And everything they shouted just was like nails on a chalkboard, because it was so antithetical to what I believed. I came to faith in Christ when I was six years old, but everything I believed was that this was an unbelievably humbling privilege to be able to shape and mold the heart and mind of a child who has been divinely placed in my house. And I would walk out my front door quite literally, and it was Death Valley days. Nobody was in my neighborhood. They were all out self-actualizing, which was the term of the day in the marketplace. And I was at home with my kids, and there were times when I thought, I must be living on a whole nother planet. Well, what was interesting is that God took that experience where I had to learn what it meant to be countercultural. Fast forward, he ends up moving. Moving me to the nation's capital. And guess what? Alley I end up by God's divine sense of humor and his sovereignty, debating the very women who were making those statements. So I would show up in front of national television cameras debating Molly Yard and Patricia Ireland and Ellie Smeal and all of the women who were the feminists of their day, making these same kind of declarations. And I thought, wow, this is really and truly the battle of worldviews. Now, I personally this goes back to where we started. I personally would never use the word feminist because it brings a whole boatload of baggage with it. I see angry, angry women, I see rebellion, I see chafing against the idea that somehow in a patriarchal society, we're being put down by women. And I don't subscribe to any of that. Now, if you ask me, do I believe that a woman should get equal pay for equal work? Absolutely. When you stop and realize that we women have only had the vote for a little bit over a hundred years, the idea of being culturally equal is, is just a little bit over 100 years old in a country that's about to celebrate its 250th birthday. So. But I would never use the word feminist because it brings this whole impression, if you will, this whole palette of anger and rebellion. And I'll give you a classic example. I remember being in New York and in my world there's never equality. So there were five feminists against me debating the issue of feminism on a stage in New York. Two female hosts, both of them raving feminists, went up to the five feminists I was debating and said, we're such fans. We believe in everything you do. And at that moment I thought, Daniel, I kind of get what it means to be in the lion's den. So I've got seven women against myself. And they went on and they gave their diatribe and they pushed out their ideas again. And ardently, same sex attraction, ardently abortion on demand that women are oppressed by men. Huge broad brush statements which cannot be substantiated in fact. Are there examples of that? Absolutely. But you don't denigrate an entire gender of men by saying these are people who oppress women. This is an individual choice of behavior. It isn't a gender specific kind of behavior. Well, just to get you through God's sense of humor in all of this, after the debate was done, all of the feminists walked off the stage and I got a round of applause from the audience. And I thought, This is New York City. Why am I getting applause? This doesn't make any sense at all. Turns out the entire audience was filled with kids who were homeschooled and went to Christian schools, and they were applauding everything I said, so I was never in the lion's den. God had been there with me. But in the middle of all of this, what happened is I suddenly started realizing the verse that says, out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks. And I started looking at these women and I realized how broken they were. This one had had multiple abortions. This one had never married. This one had come out of a background of abuse. And I thought, this is the result of a world that is east of Eden. This was brokenness manifesting itself in anger and rage, and it really began to soften my heart. And so rather than subscribing to the anger that was being manifested on the outside. I started trying to listen with the ears on my heart to where are these women coming from? Why is there such hurt and why is there such brokenness? But I never wanted to be in that position. I wanted rather to understand that God had made me who I was a woman, not an afterthought. Not a second thought, not a oh well, I guess I need to bring a helper along. But the fact that I am fearfully and wonderfully made out of the side of Adam, not his feet out of the side of Adam, and I play a unique position in my family, in my community and in my world that my husband can never, ever fulfill that you talk about being liberated. That is the essence of liberation. Am I strong? Well, I have discovered as a follower of Christ Jesus, that real strength has nothing to do with me. When I am weak, I am strong because he is the one who makes me strong. He is the one who wages my battle. He is the one who protects me. So that idea of strength has been radically redefined in my life, that it isn't about how many zeros are in a paycheck, how many times you show up on a national magazine, how much you can influence and change legislation. Strength is quietude. In fact, I have to tell you, ally, I've really been hanging out a verse lately that has made me cry on multiple occasions, and it says this the beauty of a quiet and gentle spirit is precious in the sight of the Lord. And the first time I read that verse, I started to cry because I thought, wait, wait, wait, I can give something precious to the Lord. He's given me eternal life. He's given me salvation through His son. But I can give something precious to the Lord. And it comes in this most unusual package a quiet and gentle spirit. I am woman, hear me roar has absolutely nothing to do with having a quiet and a gentle spirit. So do I feel liberated? Absolutely. Do I feel strong? Absolutely. Do I feel defined? Absolutely. But all of that doesn't come from a movement or legislation or even the right to vote. It comes from being absolutely defined by who I am in Christ Jesus, because in him I live and move and have my being. My independence is found by being completely dependent on Jesus Christ. So I have to tell you, I think it rock rattles and rolls to be countercultural. I absolutely wouldn't change my position with anyone in the world, because my position is so secured in who Christ is, and when it's all said and done, it has nothing to do with me. It has everything to do with him.
S2: Right? Janet Parshall, our guest right now, coming up, let's talk about, um, there's so much around gender ideology right now. What does it mean to be a woman? How do we hold up a biblical worldview in a winsome way, uh, in a culture that pushes back against it? More coming up with Janet Parshall.
S1: He's a sports fanatic with a stat for anything you can think of. Young Thunder is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: So when you think about gender ideology, the question has been put out there, debated, discussed. What does it actually mean to be a woman? Janet Parshall, our guest right now, host of In the Market, which you hear afternoons on Moody Radio. Obviously, the biological differences between men and women, which should go without saying but have been challenged as of late, but more. But beyond that, the question of what does it mean to be a woman? How do we answer that from a biblical perspective in a way that is winsome.
S15: And winsome is the operative word, isn't it? Well, let's just pull back a little bit and let's not fall into the trap of the verbiage used by the world. Gender is a made up construct. Their sex. There's male and female and he created them both. When you go to the state of New York and you fill out a form, you've got 92 choices on what your gender is. So I don't use that word. It is absolutely a postmodern Construct, and I don't subscribe to that ideology at all. And that's exactly what it is. Gender ideology is, at its root, a political movement, and at its even deeper root is a core of spiritual rebellion. Who do you think you are, God telling me who I am? I was assigned at birth. Well, yes, you were actually. And the Assigner is the great King himself. Doctor didn't have to flip a coin. Didn't have to guess who you are. It was a self-evident truth. You are either male or female. And what we've got in this country is an ideology that somehow your self-determination, your self-identity, is, number one, should be given a panoply of civil rights protections in this country. And that, number two, this is a Nimrod esque kind of moment where we've said to God, I will tell you who I am. You will not tell me who I am. Now, that's the culture. Now let me go to me as a follower of Christ Jesus. So I was raised by a dad who was about the working definition of masculinity. He played football in college at northwestern. He was an athletic director He had been drafted by the NFL. He turned it down because he wanted to do coaching instead. I watched him coach all my life, an athletic director at several colleges. He was the definition of manhood, and I only had brothers. I've never had a sister. I had a most godly mother who was a beautiful role model for me. But I was raised in a male dominated household. You know what? I never once thought about my gender. I never thought once about my sex. Wow. I'm just a girl. They're brothers. They get to do all kinds of stuff. I never had that feeling at all because my definition cannot come from a horizontal plane. My definition as a woman has to come from God. It has nothing to do with my biology or what sex organs God gave me. It has everything to do with the fact that my being a woman is as much a reflection of God's sovereignty as the fact that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. I was made by him before I was knit together in my mother's womb. And so when I stop and think about the fact that I'm a woman, I never once think, oh, I'm a victim. Oh, God. Made a mistake. Oh, I'm an afterthought. I think his sovereignty over my life determined my hair color, my fingerprints, and whether I would be a man or a woman. Now, then, the question isn't how do I live as a Christian woman? My response always to that is, how do I live as a Christian? I sex and gender have nothing to do with it. I want to be obedient to His Word. So what does it mean to be a Christian? It means to be Christ like. I'm not in that picture. My gender has nothing to do with that. What do I need to do to be like him? What does it mean to be compassionate and to have a heart like him? What does it mean to forgive? What does it mean to deny yourself? Take up your cross and follow him. What does it mean to sacrifice? What does servant leadership look like? I don't see sex in any of that by any stretch of the imagination, so I'm not going to listen to the Pied Piper of the culture that says, well, we can't quite determine what a woman is. I mean, literally, when you have a nominee for the United States Supreme Court and she can't tell you during her confirmation hearings. What is a woman? We've lost our way. That's because we've lost our relationship with God. When you put on the lens of Scripture, it is amazing how you go from a black and white movie into a world of Technicolor and suddenly things make sense. There is no ambiguity. Shouldn't be for us, as followers of Christ Jesus, about what it means to be a woman, what it really the question should be is what does it mean to be in Christ Jesus? Paul in acts 17 says it all in him we live and move and have our being. That's my definition. My sex has nothing to do with it anymore than I wake up every morning and go, oh, the color of my hair is all wrong. God, you made a mistake. Well, no, he doesn't make mistakes. So I am fearfully, wonderfully made. Exactly the way the father wanted me to be made. Now, the question is not how he molded and shaped me. The question is, rather, what will I do in serving and honoring him until he takes me home to glory?
S2: Janet Parshall, good to spend some time with you this morning. Host of In the Market with Janet Parshall. If you want more text market to 800 555 7898 text market to 800 555 7898.
S1: You're listening to Curl and Crew on Moody Radio.
S2: My dad is 70 years old and my dad is hilarious because have you ever seen those progressive becoming your parents commercial?
S3: I love those commercials.
S4: Yeah.
S2: So many of the things portrayed apply to my dad. And so when we give him a hard time about it because he, you know, the, the offering advice to strangers like, hey, do you want me to show you how to use that? Or, you know, there's the one of the guy at the at the gas station and he's pumping gas.
S4: Yes. And somebody. Yes. So one of the one of the funny.
S2: Things that my dad does that I think is a quirky dad thing, he becomes obsessed with tracking weather. And so he will get the radar out on his phone and it'll start to show us. He'll go, guys, look, in about 30 minutes, this is coming our way. I love that. I love that like dad, he's looking out the window. He's like, we're about to get crushed, guys. And so it's become kind of a running joke. So much so that we got him some Doppler radar. Crocs. Yes. One year. And then we got Carl. He got Carl a pair, too, because he knows that Carl has that kind of dad dad ism to him.
S16: That's good. You know, statement there.
S3: I don't know if the dad transformation is is happening in me because, I mean, my daughter's one. So I've been a dad for just a little bit.
S16: Okay.
S3: Uh, but a couple days ago, we were gonna go on a walk outside, and I said, let me check the weather. It looks like it's supposed to rain. And what I did was I pulled up the radar and I said, it's okay. We're good for another 30 minutes.
S2: It's happening.
S16: It's absolutely.
S2: Happening. You know, and there's some other funny things. I was looking up and there were so many of them that that applied to my dad. How about commenting on gas prices in other states and cities?
S16: Oh, yes.
S2: Um, thinking that they're smarter than GPS.
S3: Yeah, I.
S16: Know, they.
S2: Definitely know a better way. Um, asking about your car. My dad definitely always wants to know what's going on with my car.
S3: Okay.
S16: Really?
S2: Yeah. Maybe that's a dad. A girl dad thing.
S16: Could be because.
S2: He's. He's preoccupied with making sure your tires inflated.
S16: I can see that. Yes. Is it running well? Any weird sounds? Yes.
S2: All that saying things like close the door. I'm not air conditioning the whole neighborhood.
S16: Yeah.
S3: Well, absolutely.
S16: Yeah.
S2: So I'm curious to hear from you this morning if you want to share, if you're guilty of some of these sort of stereotypical dad isms yourself and are willing to confess. Or maybe you've got your own. What are they? Or if you hilariously remember your own dad doing some of these things, tell me, what's the dad ism? The funny thing your dad always did or said, and it was like clockwork he could be expected to do or say this. Tell me the story about your dad or about yourself, if you're willing to be honest to dad. 800 555 7898. Having a little fun here before Father's Day 800 555 7898. What's that dad ism you're totally guilty of? Or maybe your dad was.
S1: A basketball mom who's mastered the dad joke. Ali is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: This is Carl and crew. How about this one? A text message came in. I'm a 44 year old dad who loves to embarrass my kids and wife with dad puns.
S3: Oh, that's for Ali.
S2: I am with you on that. The puns, the dad jokes. Bring them on. 8191 says my dad grunts while standing or sitting down, even when it doesn't appear he's in pain. It drives me bonkers. 4048 just gave a simple quote a dad ism that I guess is, uh, particular to their family. I've got a coupon for that. Oh, I see, this is your mom thing, but. Okay, that's what I would. But you know what? What do you say? What's the what's the dad? I was like, wait a second, what's the dad ism you are guilty of? Or maybe your dad was (800) 555-7898. Let's go to Bob calling in from Lake of the Hills.
S17: Good morning guys. Well, it's kind of both my dad and myself. My dad always got me involved in a lot of house projects, DIY. And we started out and he said, hey, go clean the nails out of those boards or go do this. And I'd start and he'd stop and say, what are you doing? Do what you asked me to do. What are you doing it that way for? So I'm getting it done. What's the difference? My house. My way. Oh, do.
S18: It this way. All right, all right.
S17: We got our first house, and I needed help building a gate for the yard. And I said, hey, dad, can you give me a hand this weekend? Bring some tools. You got to build a gate. So he shows up and I got the stuff laid out in the garage. I got the boards. All right, here we go. This is how we're gonna do. We're gonna do this. We're gonna put this together. No, no, no, no, you don't do it that way. There's a dad.
S18: My house, my way. He said, you're right, you're right.
S17: I disagree with you.
S18: But you're right.
S2: Yeah. You know what, Bob? Oh, that's. Oh, the irony.
S3: Right, I love it.
S19: Let's go to John.
S2: First time.
S19: Caller.
S2: From Batavia, Illinois. Is this you or is this your dad who does this?
S20: Well, no, this is me. I am crazy over the board for safety for my kids and grandkids. I'm 71 years old. They just laugh because I gave them fire extinguishers for Christmas. And I gave them flares for all of their cars. My daughters in law and my son. And then I got my my, my wife says I'm crazy. I got them those fire escape ladders.
S18: For the More.
S20: So I think I just better chill out.
S18: A little bit.
S21: Oh, I love it, John.
S2: You know what? First time caller I love your spirit. That is hysterical. Fire extinguishers for Christmas. I'm imagining what that looked like.
S21: From the fire.
S2: Those. Hey, and you know what? Those safety ladders. I've got one. I definitely have one. You have.
S3: A safety.
S2: Ladder. I do have a safety ladder. So I'm a little PSA. Those things are practical to have. I'm with John on that. Safety first.
S3: I might get into a.
S21: Safety ladder. That was so great.
S2: I love that, John. I love your sense of humor.
S21: I love.
S2: That boy. What about you? What's that dad ism that you are totally guilty of? Or maybe the thing that you always remember your dad saying or doing. This one came in. If they would leave. If I left the switch to the light on, he would come over and tell me to turn off the switch. We don't own the electric company.
S21: Yes. Know that quote? Oh, boy.