S1: Hello friends. It's time for the second hour of Open Line with Doctor Michael Radonich Moody Radio's Bible Study Across America. We're talking about your questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. My name is Michael Radonich. I'm the academic dean and professor of Jewish studies and Bible here at Moody Bible Institute. We're live today sitting around the radio kitchen table taking your questions. Time to give me a call. The phone number (877) 548-3675. That's (877) 548-3675. If you can't call, just go to our website Openline radio.org. Click on the link that says Ask Michael a question and you can put your question right there and it will show up in the mailbag sooner or later, but hopefully sooner. I hope you have your Bibles open and you have a second cup of coffee. We're about to talk about the scriptures, but before we do, I do want to talk about our current resource. You know, people sometimes tell me that they have dry times where they just don't even want to read the Bible. Uh, we really need to be in the word, whether we're dry or or not, whether we're hot or cold. We we we need to be in the word. That's our only hope for God to refresh us. But one of the things that I believe will help us a lot is a book by my colleague here at Moody. A friend of mine, Jim Coakley, has written 14 Fresh Ways to Enjoy the Bible. It's a really enlightening book. It reveals how we can use the same techniques that modern authors use. We can read for those techniques and see what the biblical writers were doing long ago. And this gives us a fresh way of reading the scriptures when we look at their literary techniques that they were using. This book will give us practical strategies to engage in the Word of God, and guidelines that we can keep following to stay on track. It's a great little book and it's won awards and it's our current resource. So if you send a gift of any size, we want to say thanks. We really appreciate it. And just to say thanks, we want to send you this book, 14 Fresh Ways to Enjoy the Bible. Don't miss it. This is a this is one of those books that the Open Line audience really loves. So to give you a gift again (888) 644-7122 or open line radio.org. Let's go back to the phones. Talk to Cindy. Listen on Wkdd in Wisconsin. Welcome to Open Line. Cindy, how can I help you?
S2: Good morning doctor. I love your program.
S1: Thank you.
S2: My question is, uh, are Christians supposed to vote? And I guess the main reason I'm asking that I don't want to stand before God and have him ask, why didn't you give a voice to the unborn? Thank you.
S1: So, uh, here's the question I have Cindy. What about off off elections? Like, uh, not the presidential election. Do you feel an obligation to vote then?
S2: Yes.
S1: How about the other the really off off elections, you know, not when congressional candidates like in 26, they'll be congressional candidates being elected. But what about in between in 2025? Every.
S2: Excuse me every single time.
S1: So you feel an obligation to vote up till even like the school board or, you know, city council or things like that, right?
S2: Absolutely.
S1: Okay, let me just say that I don't think that the scriptures give us an absolute command that we must vote. So I don't think it's a matter of sin or not sin. The way I think of it is that we're expected to be good citizens. I think that is something that we're responsible for, and it's a wisdom principle in Scripture to be a good citizen. And if that's the case, a good citizen would vote. And I, I concur with you that it is wisdom to vote every time we get a chance that that that's a great privilege that we have here as American citizens. It's a privilege that we miss out on way too much. And I think that it's really important for followers of Jesus to have our influence in our vote. I'm thinking about the kind of curricula that students have. Voting for the Board of Education is, you know, the. That's crucial. Uh, I think it's so important that we speak up, even in what appears to be minor issues. So wisdom dictates that we're to be good citizens, and good citizens vote. And so I hope, I hope, Cindy, that more people adopt your attitude. I don't think you're asking whether I think it's a good idea. Uh, I think you were trying to say you think it's a good idea. And I agree with you. Okay.
S2: Thank you so much. It just breaks my heart when I hear, I don't know if this is accurate, that 50% of Christians do not vote.
S1: Mhm. Yeah. I think that we have a great privilege here in the United States. I think that the only way we can have a one of the ways that we can have our greatest impact is by expressing our values with our votes. And I think it's important that we do that. So uh, unfortunately, you know, I have to say, Cindy, that Sometimes it's very frustrating to try and vote as a believer, because there are people who are running that may give lip service, may not. They don't always agree with us. We have to vote for the candidate that is closest to our values, rather than necessarily looking for someone that subscribes perfectly to it, because that's to them that would be really hard to find. Don't you think?
S2: I try to be as close as I can to that person that stands biblically.
S1: Yeah, yeah.
S2: They're not perfect, but yeah, the best. The best I can do.
S1: Yeah. Uh, sometimes I've heard people say there's no one running that I think will fit. And so they will actually write someone in. Uh, and usually writing campaigns don't help that much. But every now and then I've seen write in candidates win. So who knows? Don't miss the opportunity or the privilege to vote. That's what I would say to people. It's it's biblical wisdom for us to be good citizens. Thanks for your call, Cindy. Really appreciate it. Thank you for your thank.
S2: You for your program.
S1: Thanks a lot. We're going to talk to Tony in Ketchikan, Alaska. Uh, listening on. I don't even know what it is. K220I don't know what that is, but I'm glad you're listening. Tony. How can I help you?
S3: Yes. Good morning. Doctor. Do please need help with two short questions. The first one is revelation 22, verse 1415. On the 15th verse I have a problem understanding are they are sinners, unbelief, people, sinners after the millennium.
S1: In revelation chapter 22, verse 14 and 15, where it says, blessed are those who wash their robes, so they might have the right to the tree of life, and may enter the city by the gates outside our dogs, the sorcerers, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying. Uh, what this is saying is it's today. Blessed are those who wash their robes, uh, by faith in Jesus. We all have filthy robes on because of our sin. But if we trust that Jesus died for us and rose again and put our trust solely in him, then we'll be able to enter the city by the gates outside. At this point, after the the final judgment, outside those gates are people who have been cast out. Uh, and not just outside the city gates, because the whole world will be the New Jerusalem at this point. But, uh, at that point, there will be, uh, all those people who rejected Jesus, who stood in their own sins they will have been cast into the The Lake of Fire, which was actually not for them. It was prepared for Satan and those angels that fell and became demons. That's who it was for. But people followed him and they that's where they will be. So in a sense, they will be outside the city in that way. Okay.
S3: This will be after the New Jerusalem. And the next question, if you please, because I am in trouble for, uh, if a person do some people do this? Um, uh, hurt me and I forgive them because I don't want to be mean back to them. But I was told that if they don't, if they do not ask for forgiveness, then I can not forgive them.
S1: Well, uh, I think there's a difference. And it's important for us to recognize this between forgiveness and reconciliation. Forgiveness is like canceling a debt a person owes you a debt of an apology. You know, that's how the Lord Jesus categorizes sin. Forgive us our debts even as we forgive. Forgive our debtors. So a person has a has an obligation, a debt to pay, to apologize for the wrong that they've done, even to make restitution if possible. However, uh, what if that person is bankrupt and they can't pay that debt? That's what it would be. Someone who refuses to apologize doesn't see their error. Uh, doesn't see what they've done, refuses to see what they've done. That person is bankrupt. And you know when when they're bankrupt, the best thing to do is to forgive that, to let the debt go, because you're not going to get it paid back anyway. Uh, that's what I would say. So yes, you can forgive someone whether they apologize or not. But what happens is the person who doesn't apologize is never reconciled. The reconciliation between people doesn't happen unless there's some sort of apology and forgiveness granted. But you can, in your own heart. Someone has hurt you. Someone has done something to you. You can forgive them because otherwise you live in bitterness. You have to forgive them whether they apologize or not for your own well-being. So that's that's my advice to you. Okay, Tony.
S3: Thank you so very much. God bless you for your service. And yeah.
S1: Thank you so much, Tony, for calling. Really appreciate it. We're going to go to a break right now. Uh, of course you can. You can still call. There's a couple of lines open, so now's the time to call the phone number (877) 548-3675. We're going to talk about your questions from coast to coast from Alaska to Florida. We're talking about your questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. So stick with us. You're listening to Open Line with Michael Melnick.
UU: Be right back.
S1: And we're back. I am so happy to be here with you and talking about your questions about the scriptures. You know, I'm finding it's election season and people want to talk about elections. They want to talk about should we vote like one of our callers? Uh, I think sometimes people want to call up and influence the vote. You know, they think that their candidate is the right one. I'm going to tell you this. I'm not going to talk about candidates. I'll talk about the principle of the wisdom. Principle of voting. Uh, I'm I'm not going to talk about who to vote for. That's that's really crucial to understand because, you know, it's just not not appropriate for. For what? What it is that that I believe I should be doing here. I'm not going to tell you who to vote for, but I will tell you this. Vote for the candidate that most aligns with your values. That's your biblical values. That's the the thing that I would tell you. Uh, anyway, before we talk about, uh, voting, which is going to come up sooner or later, I do want to talk about becoming a kitchen table partner. Uh, kitchen table partners are so vital to this program. There are people who give monthly so that we can be on the air weekly. It makes such a difference, particularly for budgeting and planning. And it's such an encouragement to us to have you stand with us on a monthly basis. Uh, I hope you'll consider becoming a kitchen table partner. Some of you actually give occasionally when there's a resource that we make available for a gift of any size. Uh, so, uh, if you'd like to give a gift for that, we send you our current resource, which is now, uh, 14 Fresh Ways to Enjoy the Bible. But there are other people who say, uh, you know, I don't I'll give occasionally, but I don't know if I want to become a kitchen table partner. Well, you can still get the resource. You ask for it. We change it every other month. But, boy, it's such a big help to us if you'll become a kitchen table partner. And one of the things that we like to do besides sending you the resource when you ask for it, is every other week we send you an audio Bible study prepared exclusively for our kitchen table partners. If you decide to give $30 a month or more, you get 50% off from the Moody Publishers catalog. It is. That's a great deal. And you can get the Moody Bible Commentary, The Handbook of Messianic Prophecy, 50 questions, things, uh, 50 most important Bible questions. Things I've written. I hope you'll consider it. To give. To make that decision. To become a kitchen table partner. All you have to do is go to Openline radio.org or call (888) 644-7122. And we thank you so much, all of you who have become kitchen table partners already, those of you who are even just thinking about it, really appreciate it. We're going to talk to Roy in Zephyrhills, Florida, listening on keys. Welcome to Open Line, Roy. How can I help you?
S4: Shabbat shalom. Shalom.
S1: Shabbat shalom.
S4: My question is. My question is simple. What does the word nefesh mean? It's translated as soul in the King James Version.
S1: Well, it sounds like it means soul. Then, uh.
S4: But isn't it related to the word nafash?
S1: Well, tell me what you're asking because you're obviously looking for something. So tell me what you're looking for.
S4: Well, doesn't it mean to breathe?
S1: Well, it's a noun, and it just means a creature. Or a living. A living? A living being. A living being is what I would say. Uh, actually, it doesn't even mean a creature because of the way it's used here is. It means God created the man, and the man became, uh, a nefesh haya. So that means a living being or a living creature. That's what it means. Okay. Okay. It's someone.
S4: I just want to see what your take was on that.
S1: Yeah. Uh, do you think it's anything other than that?
S4: I believe it's the air breathing creature itself. Um, the one that actually does the breathing. Okay. Because he had just gotten done putting the air into them.
S1: Okay, so it means a living, breathing creature. Okay. Or being. Okay. Okay, good. Thanks, Roy. Appreciate it. Uh, we're going to talk to Bill in Florida, listening on something. Not sure what. Welcome to Open Line. Bill, how can I help you?
S5: Oh, thanks for having me on Doctor Melnick. Uh, how does God actually saves his, uh, save his, uh, Orthodox brothers and sisters? Uh, he gets them out of sacrificing, and they believe.
S1: How does God. Are you talking about Orthodox Jewish people? Yes. Okay. How? The way. Listen, here's how everyone is saved. Jewish. Gentile. You know, any human being is saved the same way by grace through faith in the revealed will of God.
S5: But in the end, they. So they're going to be worshiping God in that. In that, in the last tabernacle.
S1: Yeah. There's going to be a temple built sometime so that during the tribulation there's a tribulation temple and there will be sacrificing there. But that, that that the blood of bulls and goats don't shave. You know what, Bill? You got to let me answer. I can't answer until if you keep interrupting. So I'm happy to have you do a follow up, but just let me answer, okay? Uh, so the there's going to be sacrifice, but that will not save anyone. Uh, what God does during the the tribulation period is he brings pressure, particularly in the middle of the tribulation, on the Jewish people when the future false Messiah will turn on them and persecute them, and that persecution will culminate in the campaign of Armageddon, and it will be so much pressure that Jewish people will call on Jesus to save them. And it says that in Matthew 2337 through 39 that the Lord Jesus said he wouldn't return until Israel welcomes him back, and they will welcome him by faith. It says in Zechariah 1210, they will look upon him who was pierced, and mourn for him. As one mourns for an only son, the mourning of repentance, they will call upon him. Then, uh, and then I in Romans 1126, it's at that time that all Israel alive at that time, who call on Jesus, that will be saved. So that's how God will bring them to a faith. Now, is there something else you want to know about that?
S5: Well, I've got a little bit of a different spin on it than you have, although the scripture is perfect. I will say this, though, that, um. when he calls the two witnesses down. Actually, he calls us, you know.
S1: You know, Bill, we're going to move on. Thanks for your call. Really, really appreciate it. Uh, let's see, I'm going to talk with Richard in Elyria, Ohio, listening on Wtxf. Welcome to Open Line. Richard. How can I help you?
S6: Well, um, this voting thing I've heard this time and time again about Christians that don't want to vote. And I always hearken back, maybe I'm wrong. The scripture that says Jesus asked for a coin and he says, oh, here's Caesar, uh, render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's. And our government has given us the opportunity to vote in our government. So I don't understand why there's a question.
S1: Well, well, first of all, what's the context of that verse that you're citing?
S6: Well, that's that's probably a little bit beyond me.
S1: No, it's about it's not beyond you. It's about taxation.
S6: Okay.
S1: So all that that verse is saying when it says render to Caesar that which is Caesar's. It's saying pay your taxes.
S6: Okay.
S1: That's all it's saying.
S6: Anything else about the government? No.
S1: It's about. Now, as I said earlier, it makes sense to follow the wisdom principle of voting. It's a very broad application that you could make to take rendering to Caesar as voting. But. Okay, I'm not saying you shouldn't vote. I'm saying that believers should use wisdom, and it is a great privilege that we have as American citizens the right to vote. And we should make make use of it. That's what I'm saying. Yes.
S6: Absolutely. I 100% agree.
S1: Great. Thanks for your call, Richard. Really appreciate it. Okay.
S6: Thank you. Doctor.
S1: Uh, and we're going to speak with, uh, Katie in Ohio, listening on whfc. Welcome to Open Line, Katie. How can I help you?
S7: Well, thank you so much for taking my call. And I just want to let you know that my husband and I are kitchen table partners. Oh, thank.
S1: You, thank you, thank you. Really, really appreciate that. That's so kind of you.
S7: Oh, well, we appreciate your program. And you. So thank you so very much. Okay, here's my question. Um, this can be this is one of those controversial topics within Christian circles. So I'm curious about your views and most importantly, what Scripture has to say about the topic of suicide. Like when somebody commits suicide, some believe that you go straight to hell.
S1: Well, you know, I haven't seen that verse actually, that says, for by grace are you saved through faith? It's not of works lest any man should boast. It's the gift of God. Unless you commit suicide and then you lose it all. Have you seen that verse?
S7: Uh, no. But there is there is some controversy about the scripture that talks about blaspheming the Holy Spirit.
S1: Yeah, but is that suicide?
S7: I know some people seem to think that's that's the sin. That's the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Now, I believe that's a misinterpretation of Scripture. Yeah.
S1: Let me let me just say this about suicide. Okay. Can I? I think suicide is a terrible travesty. It is just, God forbid if if anyone is listening here and contemplating suicide, please don't take what I was saying there that a person doesn't lose their salvation as somehow that it's preferable or right, or something that anyone should even contemplate if anyone is thinking about it. And I know, Katie, you agree with me about this? If a person is thinking about suicide, get some help. Go talk to someone that is not healthy. Talk to your your spouse. Talk to your your doctor. Talk to your pastor. Uh, just get some help. Uh, the it's crucial to to remember, uh, call the suicide hotline. Hotline? Uh, and to here remind me what the number is of the suicide hotline. Nine. Eight. Nine. Is it?
S7: Uh, yeah. I can't recall it at the moment.
S1: Nine. Eight eight. Nine. Eight. Eight. Suicide prevention line. That's it. That's all I'm saying. But the other thing that's really important is that obviously the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit in the context there. And I'm going back. Context. Context. Context. Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is not about suicide. What it's about. It's saying that the, uh, the when the Messiah is physically present with us to to attribute his works to Satan. That's what blasphemy the Holy Spirit is. I don't think it's even possible to do that today, but that what they were doing is they were rejecting the Messiah. That is possible. But, uh, as for suicide, that comes more from another tradition where it's considered a mortal sin. And if you don't, you don't get a chance to repent because you've just committed it. Therefore you've lost your salvation. That is not what the Bible teaches. The Bible teaches that we are saved forever from the. We have eternal life, and eternal life begins from the moment that we believe. It's not something that we can lose. So, Katie, let me just go back to what you're asking. Will someone lose their salvation? So if you've lost someone that had committed suicide that knew the Lord. No, they have not lost their salvation. If you're contemplating it, don't do it. Get some help.
S7: Uh, well, see, there have been people. This has bled into the evangelical church.
S1: Oh, yeah. You know, Katie, I agree with you, but we can't go that way. But we've got to go to a break. Thanks for your call. Really appreciate it. Uh, we're going to be right back with more of your questions in the mailbag. Welcome back to Open Line. I'm so grateful for the Far Eastern Broadcasting Company. They partner with Open Line to bring you the weekly Febc mailbag. It's a terrific group. What a great organization. They bring the gospel to people through media, through radio. But there's also human touch. There's personal touch. And that is so important. It's not just radio waves, not just electronic vibes. It is person to person. And they see many people come to the Lord in places that no one can get to. Just about it is a remarkable ministry and I want you to check out their podcast. It's called Until All Have Heard. The way you find it is just go to fbc.org, that's FBC. Org and and make sure to download the podcast until all I've heard. Joining me right now to hear a Haynes sitting in for Tricia McMillan today. I'm guessing to hear, were you here during Founders Week all week.
S8: I was I was here all week.
S1: Wow. So Tricia was I'm sure too. And that's why she's not here today. Because she's wiped out.
S8: Yes, yes. There was some long days for Founders Week.
S1: Yeah, yeah, but. But you have to be here. I had some long days too, but we have to be here. Trish is the the the the weak one. She's home with her feet up. No, actually, I don't believe that. She's she's probably chasing some of those kids around. Is what I'm guessing because she didn't see him all week. So anyway, I love teasing her. So. Anyway, you do have the questions. I appreciate you sitting in today. And, uh, what have we got here?
S8: Thank you so much. We have Ashley from Illinois listening through Wmbi. When we die, do we immediately receive our heavenly body or will we receive it during the rapture? If we receive it during the rapture, what happens to our soul and spirit when we die?
S1: When we die? First of all, uh, it says in the book of Philippians chapter one, when Paul is talking about to live is, uh. Uh. To live is Christ, and to die is gain. Me living is the Messiah. Dying is gain. He says, now this is verse 21, now verse 22, now if I live on in the flesh, that means fruitful work for me, and I do not know which I should choose. I am pressured by both. I have the desire. Now listen to this. To depart and be with Christ. To be with the Messiah. He knows that when he dies here in Philippians one, that he he says it very explicitly in verse 23 when he dies, that's what depart means. He's going to go be with Jesus. So we go to be with the Lord, our immaterial part, our eternal. What I think in eternal is probably not a great word. Immortal, uh, soul goes to be with the Lord. Uh, same thing. Second Corinthians five. Absent from the body. Present with the Lord. So when when the immaterial part that's immortal leaves us. That's that's what death means. It means separation. So the body separates from the the immaterial part. The physical part goes in the grave, the immaterial part goes to be with the Lord. So that's what happens when we die. Then in first Thessalonians chapter four, uh, it says that the rapture will happen. Those who have died, the physical bodies will be resurrected. But I there's a little thing in here that I think is important to note here. In first Thessalonians four it says, since we believe this is verse 14, that Jesus died and rose again. Yes, in the same way. Now look at this. God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus. So the image there of the Lord Jesus descending at the rapture is he's bringing the immaterial, the the souls or spirits of the people who have died, who've gone to be with him. They descend with him, and then it says, the dead in Messiah will rise at first and be the resurrected, and it'll be so. They're in a sense, we're descending. Our bodies are resurrected and reunited. That's what happens at the rapture. So that's the resurrection. But I think it's so important we're alive already. We're with the Lord. That's why we descend with him. And he brings us with him and then reunites us to our bodies. That's the plan.
S8: Thank you for that great explanation.
S1: So yeah, it's really this. A lot of people see that word. They're dead when it talks about the dead, and it calls them those who have fallen asleep, and they immediately think soul asleep. This is not talking about soul sleep. It is just a euphemism for dead. That's it. And you can see why. When you see someone laid out on a bier or in a casket, they look kind of they they're made to look like they're sleeping. They're not sleeping. Their body has separated the immaterial part. If we know the Lord, go to be with the Lord.
S8: So thank you for that clarification. Thank you.
S9: Yep, yep. Well, we've.
S1: Got a call coming in. No, let's go ahead with another question.
S8: Excellent. We have Mary Ann from Ohio listening through Wtxf in view of Psalm 121. How can we help an unbeliever to trust God with so many things happening in the world, so much anti-Semitism and things of that nature?
S1: Yeah. When you think about the history of anti-Semitism, it's the oldest hatred. And yet it says, uh, that he will not allow your foot to slip the protector, your protector will not slumber. Indeed. The guardian of Israel, the protector of Israel, does not slumber or sleep. Uh, that's that's really important that we recognize that now. There's no question that Jewish people have suffered terribly. You know, even when we my experience growing up as a child of Holocaust survivors, I know all about that, uh, the terrible suffering that Jewish people encountered in Europe. The the best answer I would give is not the answer that people expect. It's it's something I learned, heard Menachem Begin. And some people won't even remember that name. He was the prime minister of Israel. He had been involved in Israeli politics from before the beginning of the State of Israel. He had led the opposition party from 1949 till 1977, when he finally was elected Prime Minister, he stayed Prime Minister for about 5 or 6 years. Uh, Prime Minister Begin spoke at the World Gathering of Holocaust Survivors when I was there in 1981, in Jerusalem, and he gave a magnificent speech. I wasn't a big supporter of his politics, but he gave a magnificent speech. And it was at the Western Wall on the last night of the gathering. I was there representing second generation. Eve and I were there and, uh, he looked out at this crowd. He spoke in about 5 or 6 different languages. And he said, I know that many of you don't believe in God because you feel he broke his covenant and that, uh, all that you suffered has caused you to doubt or even deny him. And then he talked about how close the Nazis came to winning that war. He also talked about how the Nazis had developed rocketry before the West did. He talked about how the Nazis were working on the atomic bomb. He said, can you imagine if they had achieved the atomic bomb? They would have won that war. They would have bombed London. They would have bombed the United States. Uh, and with that, uh, they would have won the war. And it wouldn't have meant just the murder of, of two thirds of Europe's Jews, but the end of all Jewish people forever. And Menachem Begin said God acted to intervene. He preserved our people. And he said, never forget that. God kept his promise to preserve and protect his people. And so and then he he looked at that crowd and he says, I beg of you, believe. Believe in the God who kept us. And it was a really moving moment and a plea for protecting God. And that's what I would say in answer to this question. I wish it was pre-youtube. I can't find a recording of that speech anywhere, but I sure would love to see it again. It was really remarkable. And that's the answer. God preserved his people when think about with all the attempts at genocide against the Jewish people, it seems impossible that the Jewish people still exist. Where the Babylonians, you know, where the, the, the, the Girgashites and the Amorites and all the they're all gone. They are but the Jewish people. God has preserved the Jewish people. And it's I think that's that's really crucial. So and by the way, I believe that God uses believers in Jesus to be the ones. And that's why I really encourage people to come to the summit opposing anti-Semitism November 9th. Check it out on our, uh, our web page, open Line radio.org. There's a link there. Join us November 9th at Torrey Gray Auditorium at Moody Bible Institute. It's going to be a really amazing conference. Thank you to her for bringing in these questions. We're going to come back with more of your calls in just a moment. That was to hear Heinz, I'm Michael Ray Dolnick. This is open line and we'll be right back. Welcome back to Open Line. Thanks for for listening. I really appreciate you doing that. I know that you listen because you want to understand the Bible better. And I really appreciate that. That's something that I'm constantly studying trying to learn how to understand the scriptures better. Uh, one of the things that Chosen People Ministries does in partnering with us is trying to help us understand the scriptures better from a Jewish perspective. And, you know, there are people who say we need to unhitch from the Old Testament or that we shouldn't even read the Law of Moses, the Torah. The Torah is God's Word to us. And one of the things I love is that Chosen People Ministries has produced a, uh, I guess, a devotional book called The Portion. It's based on the weekly portion read in the synagogue from the Torah, and it shows how the principles of the Torah can still be applied today. It's a really wonderful little book and you can get a free copy. All you have to do is go to our website. Uh, go to openlibrary.org. Scroll down to the beginning. You'll see a link that says A Free gift from Chosen People Ministries. When you click on that, it'll give you a place to sign up for your very own copy of the portion, so go to Openline radio.org. That's our website. Click on the link that says Free Gift from Chosen People Ministries, and get your copy of the portion. We're going to talk with Mike in Tampa, Florida listening on keys. Welcome to Open Line. Mike. How can I help you?
S10: Okay. Thank you. Um, every year I give out at Halloween, I give out, um, candy and Bible tracks. But this year, I wanted to add a poster that says Read the Bible. It will. It will scare the hell out of you. And I wanted to make sure I'm using the term hell in a proper way. It's just a it's a strong word. So I wanted your opinion on that.
S11: Uh, I.
S1: See here on the question that you saw it on a billboard, right.
S10: I think I think I did coming back into Florida. Yes.
S11: Yeah.
S1: I once saw a bumper sticker on a car that said, get right with Jesus or get left in hell. Okay. And you know, it was a neighbor of mine who loves the Lord, had it on his car. But I talked to my other neighbors who didn't know the Lord, that he resented that. They. I saw the reaction. And you know what? They weren't reacting to Jesus. They were reacting to the bumper sticker. Gotcha. Here's here's what I would say in Colossians chapter four, verses two through six. It talks about praying. And then it says, pray also for us that God may open a door for us to for the message to speak, the mystery of the Messiah for which I am in prison. He says, so pray for an opening.
S11: Happening to.
S1: Preach the gospel so that I may reveal it as I am required to speak. He's actually praying there not only for the opportunity to speak, but the clarity when he speaks. And then he says, act wisely toward outsiders. Use skillful living, making the most of the time. You know, we have to be wise in how we present the gospel. Then he says, your speech should always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you should answer each person. What we need to do is have gracious speech, not smart alecky speech, you know, not condescending or mocking speech. Uh, what we want to do is be gracious, to be winsome, to draw people to the kindness of God. Not this other approach that the Get Left in Hell bumper sticker or getting the I understand the play on words getting the hell scared out of us and all that. The reason I think that there's a there's a balance. Gracious words, but seasoned with salt make it flavorful. Something that's desirable. Okay. That's my belief of how we should share the gospel with people. So yeah, give out the candy. Get name candy. That's what I think. We believers don't get the cheap stuff. Get the good stuff.
S11: And chocolate. Yeah.
S1: And give them something good to eat. And also something that's cheery and loving about the gospel. Okay.
S10: Okay, great. Great. Thanks, Michael.
S1: Thank you. Thanks for your call. Really appreciate it. Okay. And let's talk to Latasha in Zion, Illinois, listening on WNBA. Welcome to Open Line, Latasha. How can I help you?
S12: Hi. Good morning. Um. I'm calling. Thank you for taking my call. I'm calling because I have a family member. Actually, my brother, who professes to be a Hebrew Israelite. So I'm. I haven't found a lot of information on how to engage him. Um, he feels like our family is under delusion, and the Christians are wrong, but I'm just trying to. I don't know a lot of, um, information about what he feels like he believes, or where he's getting his information. I do read my Bible, so I know how to combat certain things, but I don't really know where he's coming from with that perspective. Like what they actually believe and all this and that. And it's like, it's hard to talk to him, but I just wanted to, you know, for the next conversation.
S13: You.
S1: Need to do some research. Uh, I think, uh, there, there. Like, for example, got questions online. You can look up what they have to say about Hebrew Israelites. Hebrew Israelites basically say that the true Israel is Africa, and that the people of Africa are the true Israelites. And so everything we know about Israel, everything we know about what the Bible says about Israel, everything we know about what the Bible says about the Jewish people. Uh, no, no, we have to reinterpret it and make it all, uh, black Africans who are the true Jews? That's the first thing. Uh, the people that came from Africa, there's there's absolutely no real evidence for that. They will distort some scriptures, uh, to make the case for that. But no, that's that's not the case. Secondly, uh, what they do is they become very legalistic about aspects of the law of Moses and don't really experience the forgiveness of God, uh, that, uh, that, that is available by faith in Jesus that we're not saved by the law. We're saved by grace through faith in Jesus. And so they become kind of legalistic. And then the other thing that they fall into is the trap. Not all, but many, many of the Black Hebrew Israelites have fallen into the trap of a deep hatred of the Jewish people, uh, because they consider them, uh, imposters. And as a result, in Jersey city a few years ago, there was a shoot up by some Black Hebrew Israelites of a, of a, of a kosher market and things like that. So it could be, uh, serious in terms of, uh, promoting violence against Jewish people. So if I were you, I would do some. Particularly because you have a family member, you need to do some research. I don't know if there's a whole book written about it, but I would look it up on Gotquestions.org. You know what I'll do to Latasha? You listen. Next week, I will make sure. I'll let you know what some resources are about the Black Hebrew Israelites. Okay, okay. That's what I'm going to do.
S12: Thank you so much, I appreciate that. Yeah.
S11: Yeah, but.
S1: I think that that's a great website. Gotquestions.org. Uh, and I'm sure you just type in Hebrew Israelites. It'll tell you what that is, and it'll give you some answers. And and you know what? Let me just encourage you. Love your brother. Encourage your brother. Send him back to the scriptures. Don't fight with your brother. Don't argue with him. Okay. That's.
S11: Yes, sir.
S1: I don't think you're going to win any arguments. okay?
S12: No, because his heart is hardened toward I mean, he went from being a believing Christian to. Mhm. Or so what I thought he was.
S1: Um, you're going to win him.
S9: You're.
S1: You're actually going to win him more with your love and kindness than you will with anything else. So keep that up. Anyway, that's the program. Can you believe two hours gone really fast? Thanks for listening, everyone. Thanks to the Open Line team. All those of you who worked hard in the program really appreciate it. Keep in touch with Open Line by going to our website, Open Line radio.org. That page has all the links you're looking for, whether it's how to become a kitchen table partner or get our current resource, or the Chosen People resource. Keep reading the Bible. We'll talk about it next week. Open line with Doctor Michael Ray Dolnick is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute. See you next week.