S1: If you think the best thing you can do with your investments is achieve a high return, you're missing an important piece of the puzzle. The great power our money has for good. Hi, I'm Rob West. As investors, we're entrusted with resources to allocate and steward according to God's will and principles. It's easy to have a narrow and earthly view of investing. Yet God calls us toward a much bigger plan. Rob and John joins us today to talk about that plan. And then it's on to your calls at 800 525 7000. This is faith and finance. Live biblical wisdom for your financial journey. Well, our guest, Rob and John, is co-founder and CEO of Eventide Asset Management, a Boston based investment advisor practicing investing that makes the world rejoice. Eventide is an underwriter of this program as well. Robin is a good friend and it is a delight. Robin to have you on the program today.
S2: Thank you Rob. It's great to be here.
S1: Robin. You founded Eventide back in 2008, in the midst of the housing crash and the bear market that ensued. And I know you did it with a vision, along with a few others, of creating an investment firm that would honor God and invest in companies that create value for the world. I love Eventide's tagline investing that makes the world rejoice. So let's start there. Robin. How can our investments bring rejoicing to the world?
S2: Yes, our tagline, investing that makes the world rejoice is inspired by two verses in Proverbs. The first says that when the righteous prosper, the city rejoices, and when the wicked prosper, the people groan. The second proverb says, when the righteous prosper, the city rejoices. And when the wicked are defeated, there are shouts of joy. The righteous are people that prosper by looking out for the people in the city. The wicked often prosper through exploitation, especially exploiting the poor and the poor groan under that oppression. So our work, our businesses, our investments can bring about rejoicing in the world. When we are serving the real needs of the world. So business could either serve the needs of the world through their products and their practices, or businesses could seek to exploit others through their products and practices. We seek to invest in companies with good products and good practices.
S1: Yeah, well, and I love the idea that the whole foundation to investing is really supplying capital to business that should be creating goods and services that are a blessing to their neighbors and stakeholders. And I love that. That's the type of company that you seek out. But, Robin, what would you say to investors who are worried or concerned that they can't do both, do good and invest with excellence?
S2: Yeah, I would tell them, first of all, not to worry. A lot of people do have the worry that pursuing integrity comes with a cost. But but before I address that worry, let me make clear that I do believe that we should be willing to make sacrifices for the sake of honoring God and loving our neighbor. In Romans chapter 12, we see the Bible telling us not to conform to the patterns of the world, but to be transformed by the renewing of our minds so that we may test and approve the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God. It later says in the same chapter, to hate what is evil and cling to what is good. Over short periods of time, I time. I do believe that there will be periods of both underperformance and outperformance. However, there is a group called the Biblically Responsible Investing Institute and they've assessed performance and the impact of screening. And so they created a benchmark against the S&P 500. And this benchmark that they created screened out things like abortion pornography, tobacco and other problem areas. And what they found is that over long periods of time over that 19 year period, that the performance result was exactly the same. So we don't necessarily have to give up good performance to invest in line with our values. And at Eventide, we don't just avoid ill gotten gain. We seek to embrace the companies whose products and practices are good for the world. There's a great book called The Ultimate Question that was written by a Bain Consultant Fred Reichheld, and he found that the most powerful indicator of a company's future success is the degree to which the company is serving its customers. The book explores similar research that shows that companies that create compelling value for employees can also outperform their peers over the long term.
S1: That's incredible. You would hope that would be the case. And the research says it absolutely was. More with Rob and John on faith based investing right around the corner. Stay with us. Great to have you with us today on Faith and Finance Live. We're talking about good investing, not just investing to achieve a high return, although there's nothing wrong with that, but also including the power of our investments to do good. I'm joined today by my friend Robin John. He's co-founder and CEO of Eventide Asset Management and underwriter of this program. And before the break, Robin, I know you were talking about how we don't necessarily have to sacrifice return when we're investing in a way that aligns with our values. You know, being a good company is not necessarily a stumbling block to good performance, but it actually, based on the research, should be advantageous to us over time, which is just incredible. But what do you say to those who might say, well, Robin, it's better to invest quote like the world so we have more money to give away to ministry. What would you say to that?
S2: Yeah, the first thing I would say to that is that when we think about generosity, it should not just be about how much money we give away a person who chooses to become a teacher. For example, instead of becoming an investment banker in order to love the children in their community is already making a generous decision even before giving away any money. We have to live generously, holistically. It matters how we make our money. And that's why the old English preacher, Pastor John Wesley, said, make all you can to give all you can, but make all you can without hurting yourself or your neighbor in body or in soul. Proverbs one talks about ill gotten gain and how we are not to share a purse with people that pursue plunder. Yeah. So we have to think about both how we make our money and what we do when we make the money. So giving money away that was not earned in a way that was honoring to God is ultimately not what the Bible desires. If anybody wants to see more scripture regarding this, you know what the Bible says about ill gotten gain, please feel free to reach out to me. The question asked also assumes that pursuing integrity and the love of neighbor should lead to a lower return. While this could be true at times, I think it's inaccurate to make this blanket statement. And I mentioned this earlier about the Biblically Responsible Investing Institute's research.
S1: Yes, you sure did. And you make a great point on that. Robin, I know your heart is that everyone would have access to this type of investing in a way that honors God and makes the world rejoice. And I'm so excited about your new book that's coming out in July. I had a chance to preview it. It's called The Good Investor. And I'd love for you to draw from that for a moment and talk about how even beginning investors, really anyone who's in our listening audience today can invest in a way that aligns with God's design.
S2: Yeah. My advice would be to connect with a financial advisor that could really help you. There's an entire industry of financial based, faith based financial advisors, Kingdom Advisors, and you could find them by going to the Kingdom Advisors website. You know these advisors are well equipped to apply biblical principles to the way that they invest and build their clients portfolios. My book, The Good Investor, is available for pre-order online at most bookstores, and I believe that it's going to be a great tool for helping investors not just think about their investing, but also about their calling, their purpose, and their work.
S1: Yeah, I couldn't agree more. Let me just pile on to that, folks. This is a must read if you want to think about how your faith intersects with your investing as you hear Robin's story, but also his vision for this type of investing. And you can get it wherever you buy books or at least preorder it. Robin. You'll also be encouraged to know that, you know, we at Faith comm folks can connect with the Certified Kingdom Advisor, and they can indicate that they only want a CEO or a listing of S that offer faith based investing. And in just the six months that that's been available, now 40% of Percent of people that are searching or saying, show me only the list of CS that do faith based investing. So clearly there is a lot of demand for this topic. But Robin, let's talk about the good investor for a moment. It'll be a great read for so many Christians. Tell us why you wrote it.
S2: Yeah, I'm really excited about this book because I want to encourage every Christian to consider their calling. I was praying about my calling back in 2007 and 2008 before founding co-founding Eventide. All of us have a great opportunity to work in alignment with God's heart in our everyday work. This is also true about how and where we invest our money. A lot of the faith and work books provide a rich theology, but I believe that this book does that. But it's also from the perspective of a practitioner who took that theology and put it into everyday practice.
S1: Yeah, no doubt about it. Talking about calling Robin, you address what's called the sacred secular disconnect in the church that most Christians are longing for a calling without realizing that they are already pursuing their calling. Talk about that for a moment.
S2: Yeah, I think a lot of Christians feel like they are second class citizens in God's economy, because what we often hear is that the pastor or the missionary are called, and we are longing for a calling. So I think most Christians are like me, longing for a calling. And we want to know that our work matters to God. And so what this book does is really tries to address that. And we try to challenge what I consider to be more of an impoverished way to live our lives, believing that we are just second class citizens in God's kingdom. I explain in the book that God cares deeply about our everyday work, that we should reflect the goodness of God in our work. If God does work that he calls good And he creates us in his image in Genesis 126. Yes. Then we should do work that God could call. Good.
S1: Mhm. That's so good. So what would you say then to listeners, Robyn, who want to live out their calling but don't know where to start. What does that look like for you.
S2: Yeah. Pray. Cry out and ask God for wisdom. And I explain in this book the process I went through. I used to spend late nights in my parent's basement by the washing machine and dryer and just pray and ask God to show me his calling for me. And I ultimately ended up praying and fasting with Finney at his house. And Finney became the co-founder, along with me, of Eventide. And one of the early passages that we would pray through together was Psalm one. And it says that blessed is a man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, or stands in the way of sinners, or sits in the seat of scoffers. But his delight is on the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. That person will be like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season, whose leaves do not wither. Whatever he does prospers. So that was our prayer. Is that God, just show us what you want us to do. Uh, I don't care whether I'm successful by worldly standards. I want to be successful in the eyes of God. Yes. And so I trusted that God would direct me and sustain me, and that I simply wanted to delight in God and meditate on His word. Um, I also do want to encourage listeners, um, because I don't want everybody to think that you have to go and do something like start a new company in order to have a calling. Uh, I think the reality is that many Christians listening to us today are exactly where God needs them to be. Yeah. What I don't want you to think is that you have to go and start something new or leave your job. I think many of us just need to be encouraged to continue to do the good work that we're already doing.
S1: Boy, that is so well said. And I know that really underscores the big takeaway from your book, folks. Go out and pre-order The Good Investor. It's available right now for pre-order, and it will be released on July 22nd. Again, it's called The Good Investor. Robin, I'm so thankful for your leadership in this space and your friendship. Grateful for your time today.
S2: Thank you so much, Rob. It's always so good to be with you.
S1: That's Robin John, co-founder and CEO of Eventide Asset Management. His book, The Good Investor is available for pre-order and will be released on July 22nd. Your calls are next 800 525 7000. We'll be right back.
S3: The opinions offered during this program represent the personal or professional opinions of the participants are given for informational purposes only. Any information provided is not intended to replace advice from a financial, medical, legal or other professional who understands your specific situation.
S1: Great to have you with us today on Faith and finance. Live, I'm Rob West. Looking forward to taking your calls and questions today. The number 800 525 7000. Again that's 800 525 7000. Well the Federal Reserve met today. They're holding rates steady as they note the rising uncertainty and what's called stagflation risk. That's where we've got inflation on top of declining growth or slow growth. That's not a good situation. We don't want that. We want low inflation and growing economy. And that's what President Trump is working toward. A lot of that remains to be seen. How much will these tariffs affect us and where are we headed from here with the tariffs, the trade deals, and really the three legged stool that the Trump administration is working on Reprioritizing global trade, bringing that back domestically, lowering taxes is another part. And deregulation is a big part, creating a pro-growth country and economy. If all that works together, that should bode well for the US economy in the future. But the Federal Reserve is clearly taking a wait and see approach as they hold rates steady. That was widely expected from the three largest investment banks JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs and Bank of America, among others. So we'll certainly keep an eye on it. I know the fed chairman's comments are always much sought after. Um, I have not read the transcript, but likely he just is noting the concerns that at least exist today. We'll see how they materialize the market. Well responded pretty well. The Dow Jones up nearly three quarters of a point, about 300 points higher. Nasdaq up about one quarter of 1%, S&P 500 up close to one half of 1%. So, uh, a lot to come in the days ahead for sure. But at least, uh, some pretty good news on the market front. All right. We want to know what's on your mind today. So if you have financial questions, this is the program for you. We want to help you process those through the lens of biblical wisdom. You can reach us at 800 525 7000. We've got some lines open. Our team is ready. The calls will fill up, so don't wait. Now is the time to call with your financial questions again. 800 525 7000. You can call right now. Let's dive in. We're going to begin in Harrison, Georgia today. Hi Thomas. Go ahead.
S4: Hey Rob. Yes I currently have an active four one with a major financial institution. Um, we're approaching probably about $1 million in value, but I would like to know if I can move the current funds into another custodian where I can get guaranteed interest rates and resume contributing to my current employer for one where I can take a much higher risk with my ongoing investments.
S1: Yeah, it's a good question. Generally speaking, Thomas, you do have to wait until you retire or separate from service in order to roll that out to an IRA. Um, now, you may have some options within that 401 K where you could at the very least, you could take the portion that represents what you've already put into this point and get a lot more conservative with it, if that's your goal, and then continue contributing. And for that portion that is considered new money, you could certainly begin to direct that toward the more aggressive investment options. But you likely and you would confirm this with your plan administrator or HR department, you would likely find that until you separate from service, you are not able to move that 401 K out.
S4: Gotcha. I thought that was probably going to be the answer, but I figured, let me talk to an expert. Absolutely.
S1: All right. I appreciate it. You know, what is your age? Uh, Thomas, if you don't mind me asking. And. And how far are you from separating from this employer?
S4: No. So I'm about five years from retirement. Uh, so, you know, looking at 55, 56. So five years, maybe a little bit sooner. I'm out, I'm out. Great company. Time to move on.
S1: Okay. Yeah. I mean, so typically, we would say it used to be the rule of 100. Now it's 110 because people are living longer. Uh, so if you take 110 minus your age, that's at least a starting point for what you might want to keep in stocks and then the rest in bonds. So in your case, that would be 55%. So 110 -55 is 55. 55% in stocks, 45% in bonds or fixed income. That would be at least a good starting point for what does it look like to begin to get more conservative and increase that fixed income portion over time? Maybe add a little bit of precious metals, but keep in mind, I mean, even at 60, you still have a decades long need for this money to last. I mean, you need a plan for this money to last well into your 90s. And I think I think for that reason, you know, we want to outpace inflation. If inflation is running 2 to 3%, you know, we're going to need to do better than you can do in, you know, CDs, at least based on the long term historical trends. And so I think that's why, you know, you could make the case that you still want perhaps half or more. You know, still in stocks, even though yes, there's a prospect of recession. And, you know, could we have some bumps in the road. Absolutely. We likely will, we typically do. But the long term trend, despite all the problems, you know, the Great Depression and the market crash of 29 and Black Friday and the tech bubble burst and the 2007 2008 financial crisis, despite all of that 100 year pandemic, the market has always moved to new highs. And so I think, you know, that does make a case for okay, let me keep a reasonable amount in stocks inside the investments available in my 401 K, perhaps as much as, you know, 50 to 55%, and then start getting more conservative with the balance. Does that make sense though?
S4: It certainly does. And, you know, one of the reasons of moving it to an outside with a little bit of safeguards is I wasn't fortunate enough that I do have a pension. Also, I'm probably one of the last few or the youngest has still got a pension, but I do.
S1: Have.
S4: A pension out of that. So it's kind of like I do have a little leverage there.
S1: Well that's great. Yeah. And I think that's even all the more reason not to get ultra conservative, because between Social Security, whenever you decide to take that and your guaranteed pension. If you can establish a base of income that covers your lifestyle. And this is really money that you know can continue to grow, that would be there for an inheritance or maybe long term care down the road, something like that. Well, then you have the ability to take a little more risk because your bills are covered. Um, so something certainly to consider. We appreciate your call. Thanks for being on the program, my friend. God bless you. 800 525 7000. Call right now. We'll be right back. Thanks for joining us today on Faith in Finance live. I'm Rob West. We're taking your calls and questions today. The number to call 800 525 7000. Again we've got lines open for you that won't last long. So if you'd like to get in on the conversation, uh, you're welcome to do that right now. 800 525 7000 with, uh, any financial questions today? Um. Let's see. Uh, we were going to take a call from Kent. I don't think he could hold, but he was going to talk about. And I won't get into his specific question in case we can get him back on. Um, he was going to talk about choosing a financial advisor. And specifically, do I need an advisor? But let let me talk about kind of the three big categories here for a moment of finding a financial advisor, because we get this question a lot, and I think a lot of you would benefit by it. You know, first of all, Proverbs 1522 plans fail for the lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed. And so when it comes to managing money wisely, we need to have, I think, some wise counsel walking alongside us. The key is, and this is the question we get a lot. How do I know it's the right financial advisor for me? And you hear me talking a lot about the Certified Kingdom Advisor designation, and that we've got 1800 s across the country and that, you know, you can have someone who shares your values walking alongside you. And the reason that we think that's so important. You know, when I think about really the three big categories, among others, that you'll want to talk about with your advisor as you're interviewing that person right there at the top of the list is this category around values alignment. I want to know my advisor shares my worldview and can integrate it into his or her counsel, so that I can be more confident in the advice that they give. And so that key question you would ask is what role does faith play in your financial advice? And I think their answer can help determine if the advisor truly integrates biblical truth. The goal is to find someone who doesn't just respect your values, but shares them, because there's a big difference between an advisor who is a Christian and one who actively discusses financial decision making through the lens of Scripture. Here's the reality the Bible has a lot to say on money. The key is, does your advisor understand the counsel of Scripture that money is a good gift from God, but it has a seduction. There's a seduction to wealth that we need to be on our guard against. Does he or she understand that everything belongs to God and therefore I am a steward with ownership or not ownership rights, but stewardship responsibilities? Does he or she understand that giving breaks the grip of money over our lives? And it has an implication for my heart, because when I give, it aligns my heart with God's heart. And that's a really big deal, because that can change everything about the way I handle money. Does he or she understand that? You know what, I can get concerned in times of economic uncertainty or economic loss, but ultimately, God is my provider and so therefore I can trust him. And guess what? I can continue to hold what God has entrusted to me with an open hand. I mean, these are big Ideas that really are the bedrock for financial decision making. And you need to understand these things. And that's why we do this show every day. But your advisor does too, because he or she is walking alongside you, helping you make wise decisions that are informed ultimately by your values. It's not even about your financial goals. It starts with who you are in Christ and your role as a Christ follower and your role as a steward. And then how money becomes a tool, a good gift from God. That's a tool to accomplish God's purposes. Well, you're not going to be able to do that fully without an advisor who understands that and can really counsel you in that way. And so I really consider that, again, that question is what role does faith play in your financial advice? I'll share the other two kind of big buckets, uh, around, uh, interviewing a financial advisor, uh, throughout the rest of the broadcast. So stay tuned for that. In the meantime, let's go to Winter Haven. Hi, Debbie. Go ahead.
S5: Hi. I'll try to try to explain this clearly. I want to know where to, um, invest Roth IRA funds. It's a large account, and I have it with a private custodian. It's a checkbook, LLC, so I'm the one that determines where it gets invested. And right now, it's just sitting in a bank account for that LLC make, you know, shrinking because of inflation. I just want to keep up with inflation.
S1: Yes. Okay. So talk to me about so this is your money and it's put aside for your retirement. What's the time horizon on this. Give me a little bit more on that.
S5: Um, what do you mean, time horizon? I'm 71 years old.
S1: Okay.
S5: And how much for the rest of my life?
S1: Okay. Got it. And how much is in this account?
S5: At least a half million.
S1: Okay. And are you pulling anything out of it right now, Debbie? Or is it just growing?
S5: Just. well, it's just shrinking because of inflation. But no, I'm not pulling any money out.
S1: Okay. So it's in the money market account or something equivalent to that.
S5: No, it's just in a bank account. It's just shrinking. I just need to do something that's not shrinking. I've been to financial advisors, but they haven't been any help.
S1: Yeah, well, then you may not like my counsel because, you know, ultimately, I think you need to get. You've got two options here. Number one is I agree with you. You know, this is money you're not having to live on right now. You've got a sizable nest egg. That's great. What a gift from the Lord. Clearly you've, you know, lived modestly and saved, uh, appropriately. And so now you've got this nest egg. And I think part of your stewardship responsibility, the same for me is to manage it wisely. And that includes to grow it. Uh, and when we do that, by investing it, it provides capital to business for human flourishing. So that's a good thing. Um, now, how do we do that? And that comes down to how much risk do we want to take for how much reward or return. Right now, you're sitting in what you're calling a checking account or a bank account inside a Roth IRA. And to your point, because of the effects of inflation, it's losing purchasing power every day. And so we need to get it out of that. So the question is how much risk do you want to take for what expected return. So you could begin to move up the the risk spectrum by using CDs, brokered CDs where, you know, instead of getting whatever you're getting right now, maybe you're earning 4%, and then we could move up a little bit from there and you get US treasuries, we could go up a little bit more on the risk spectrum. And, you know, look at bonds a mix of corporate and government bonds. We could even move a little more and add, uh, you know, some stock exposure to that. But then you have to decide not only what is my time horizon, risk tolerance and how much you know, what investments, but I've got to decide, do I want to do that myself, or do I want to delegate that responsibility? Someone else who perhaps has expertise and shares my values and has a good track record, who keeps me informed and manages this based on my age and goals and objectives, but is going to give oversight to it and make sure that it's positioned properly. And that's an ongoing thing that may change, or it should change with time. Uh, so that's where I would say with a half million dollars at 71, my typical response would be, let's find an advisor who you have a good rapport with, who has a good track record. You understand how he or she gets paid, they share your values. You move this money over to an account with their management, but with your oversight, of course. And then they're kind of off to the races. But if you're not comfortable with that, you've had a bad experience or you just want to do it yourself, then I think we're back to, okay. If we're not using a a bank account, what about CDs? What about bonds? What about stocks? What about precious metals? And then you build it yourself. Does that make sense, though?
S5: Um, yeah, I think I need to go back to a financial adviser. I have a different financial situation than last time.
S1: Okay. Yeah. So I would recommend and I mentioned this a moment ago before you and I got on the phone, the Certified Kingdom Advisor designation. So these are men and women who have met an experience requirement, passed a reference client reference. They've been trained to bring a biblical worldview, character and integrity requirements. And there's 1800 of them across the country. So go to faith.com and click Find a Professional. Stand the line. If you'd prefer not to do that. We can get somebody in touch to make that connection over the phone. We'll be right back. Great to have you with us today on Faith in finance live I'm Rob West. Hey, we've got room for you today. If you have a financial question, now's the time to call here in our final segment, 800 525 7000. Again, you can call right now 800 525 7000. We've got room for a few more calls, and we'll try to get to as many as we can. In this segment, let me come back for a moment, though, to what I was talking about earlier. And that is a lot of the questions we get are around, how do I find the right financial advisor for me? And I think there's kind of three big buckets of what you're looking for, among others, as you interview this prospective advisor. The first bucket is around values alignment. I was sharing that. I think your advisor, sharing your worldview, understanding the heart of God and the counsel of Scripture as it relates to money is not just a nice to have. I think it's critical to in particular, money and financial decision making. It's different than a plumber. You know, I'd love to have a Christian plumber. Uh, he, you know, would or she could act with integrity and, you know, be honest in their dealings. Those are good things. But there's not really a whole lot in plumbing that you find in God's Word that you might be different from a secular plumber. That's just not the case with financial decision making, because it's so closely connected to our hearts. Because God's Word has so much to say on this topic, I think it's really essential. So that key question is what role does faith play in your financial advice? A second one might be what's your definition of financial success? You want to listen for whether they're looking only for returns, or considering how they might encourage your stewardship or generosity, or your faithfulness. They understand money is a tool, not a goal, that can bring and bring biblical alignment, and that brings clarity and peace of mind. So that's the first one. The second category is really around their technical proficiency. Um, and so, you know, this is do they have the industry designations and the experience, uh, serving clients you like? I would ask them about certification and years of experience. So the question might be something like, tell me about clients you serve who are similar to me and how you've served served them. So without naming names, they should be able to share some stories of impact. That third category is, of course, and this is a big one about process and compensation. So the advisor should clearly explain the ways they are compensated. So I would confidently ask, I want to be sure I'm clear on the ways you make money. Could you walk me through your fees and commissions, uh, on the ways you make money? Can you walk me through your your fees and commissions for a client like me? Not only are advisors required to disclose this, I would say excellent. Advisors want to make sure that you understand. And you also want to be clear on their process. So the key question there is what's your process for creating a financial plan. They should be able to clearly outline a step by step approach to the timeline, the information required, any additional fees if there are any. And so you would want to understand that I think a fourth would be really around communication. How do you typically communicate with your clients? And do you have flexibility to communicate in a way that is most desirable for me? So do you want to have zoom meetings or do you want to meet face to face? Are you good with a quarterly rhythm or a semi-annual enough? You know, those are the kinds of things that I think getting, you know, expectations on the table from the very beginning are going to really help to address any potential for missed expectations down the road. And so I think that's why it's really so key that that you address that upfront. Hopefully that helps you maybe gives you a roadmap for how you can explore and interview a financial advisor. Again, if you'd like to find a certified Kingdom advisor in your city who's been vetted for integrity, technical excellence, a biblical worldview, just go to faith. Philly.com. Click find a professional. That's faith. Philly.com. All right, back to the phones we go. Charlotte, North Carolina. Hi, Russell. Go ahead.
S6: Hello, sir. Thank you so much. Um, my Social Security question is regarding my wife receiving a reduced amount on my benefit. I will start Social Security at my full retirement age in two more months. If my wife begins Social Security at an early age. She's not 62 yet. But if she chooses to, at 62, she'll get a reduced amount. I understand that, but should I pass before her that maybe she's two years older after she started her reduced amount? Will she then get 100% of my benefit at a new reduced amount? Or would she be stuck with that same reduced amount percentage based on my 100% benefit?
S1: Yes, I see, so you're wondering specifically about, uh, the survivor's benefit at an age less than full retirement age, is that right?
S6: Yes. for my spouse should be for the surviving spouse. But but it's a transition that I can't I can't find anything online about this. The transition is she takes a reduced amount while we're both still alive. I understand all of that, but when I pass, if it's before her, um, she'll get 100% of my benefit at her full retirement age. So can she effectively pause her her early benefit and then wait till she's full retirement age and get my full amount? That's the transition I don't I can't get an understanding of.
S1: Yeah. Very good. Uh, you know, the key there is and I can totally understand it because, you know, it is confusing. Um, you know, in terms of the, the survivor benefit, if, if she is before full retirement age. So if she claims the survivor's benefit before her full retirement age, the benefit will be reduced um, by it ends up being about four and a quarter, three quarters percent per year for every year prior to full retirement age. There are some exceptions, but it's only disability, so she would really need to wait to full retirement age to be able to get that full benefit.
S6: I understand that, but what if she's getting for both the life she's getting? Maybe an 80% benefit of my 50% because they're both still alive? Um, but when I if I pass before her, then she would be entitled to 100% of my benefit at her full retirement age. Right? But she's been she's been receiving benefits, say, for two years at a reduced amount of my 50%. Uh, so now I'm gone. Um, and she would now qualify for 100% of my benefit. So how does that transition, uh, work? Would she now reset? And now she's 64 years old, and she would get a reduced benefit based on my 100% benefit? Or would she be stuck with that earlier? Maybe a lesser percentage, but now 100% rather than 50%. I'm sorry if that sounds confusing.
S1: Yeah. No, no, I mean, there's a lot, a lot of moving parts in that, so I totally get it. Uh, so basically, you know, when you talk about the transition from spousal to survivor, it does involve some pretty specific rules. So essentially, if your wife was receiving spousal benefits before her full retirement age, it's reduced for claiming early. You've already acknowledged that, uh, after your death, she is responsible for survivor's benefits. Um, up to 100% of your benefit. Um, if your benefit was 2500 a month, she could receive the 2500 a month at her full retirement age. Uh, in terms of the transition, you know, there's an automatic notification. So when you pass away, Social Security is typically notified via the, you know, funeral home or death certificate or so forth, or she can report that. And then the Social Security Administration will replace her spousal benefit with the survivor benefit if it's higher effective the month after your death, she can't receive both. Um, so that's you know, I think, uh, you know, the, the way that that goes down and then again, the reduction for claiming survivor's benefits before full retirement age locks in for life. Uh, unlike the spousal benefits, which, you know, can increase if she switches to her own benefit later, if that makes sense.
S6: Yeah, but I think I'm going to have to rest in assuming that Social Security may recalculate at my death, whatever her benefit is. Uh, as a survivor, um, which I'm thinking would reset everything. And if she's less than full retirement age, she'll get a reduced amount of my 100%, I understand that.
S1: Yes, exactly. So what she could do, uh, you know, would be if she's under the full retirement age, she could delay claiming survivor's benefits until the full retirement age. Or she could take, you know, it earlier if needed. So that's the only one that does allow you to delay. Um, whereas you can't do that with her own benefit versus the spousal. But on the survivor's benefit, she can. So if she wanted to get that full amount, she could either delay and then get the full amount at full retirement age based on your full benefit that you waited for. Or she could switch immediately and take the reduced portion of your benefit as a survivor's benefit and, you know, get that higher amount starting right away. She would be able to make that choice.
S6: Okay, that makes sense. Um. It does. Thank you. I really appreciate.
S1: This. You're welcome. Russell, we appreciate you calling today. I know that can get confusing. And if you guys want to get numbers based on your own record, uh, I would think, you know, scheduling a meeting with the Social Security Administration may not be a bad idea just to go down and and actually pull out the numbers and kind of walk through it with them. And rather than talking in generalities, you can talk about exactly what's going on. But we appreciate you being on the program today. Well, folks, we are about out of time today. And boy, I so appreciate you being a part of the program and listening and calling and interacting with us. It's such a privilege to walk alongside you and this really high calling that you have of managing God's money as a wise and faithful steward. You know, we hear from so many of you that call in and say, man, I love the program or I was able to apply something. Or guess what I started listening to a couple of years ago, and I want to celebrate with you because my my house was just paid off or I, I gave out of my balance sheet. I never thought I could do that. I've given more than I ever thought possible. We love to hear those stories, so please call us with those stories and share those with us along the way, because that's an encouragement to our team. I would also say, if you love the program and listen regularly, one of the ways you can help is by becoming a faithful partner. Those are the men and women that support this ministry, so we can reach more people and continue to do the work God has called us to. But in addition to that, when you become a partner, we're able to send you some of the resources that we create specifically to encourage you in your stewardship journey, namely, our magazine Faithful Steward, which I'm holding issue two in my hand. It just came in, uh, in the last week. It's beautiful. It's full of incredible articles, and I'd love for you to get it each quarter. On top of any new studies or devotionals. And you also get as a partner, uh, pro subscription to the Faith by app, where you can connect to all your institutions. To become a partner. Just go to our website and click give thanks to Amy, Jim, Dan and Anthony. Faith and financial lives of partnership between Moody Radio. Faith five. We'll see you tomorrow.