S1: Before she was Sarah, she was Sarai, a devoted wife. She is perhaps best known for her lack of faith. When God promised she would have a child in her old age. But have we misjudged her? Coming up, it's a visit with Sarai. We'll get to know her background and the cultural details that make her story come alive. Plus, a look at the top stories coming out of the Middle East and much more. This is the land and the book with noted Middle East expert Doctor Charlie Dyer, who has recently released an updated version of the important Moody Publishers book Who Owns the Land? I'm John Gallagher asking, what does Passover mean for us as believers in Jesus? Some, of course, will remember the story from the book of Exodus, but there's so much more to it. Did you know, for example, that the Last Supper was actually a Passover meal? And not only did Jesus and his disciples celebrate Passover, it also foreshadowed his death on the cross for our redemption.
S2: Jewish people have been keeping the feast of Passover for thousands of years. Understanding the history and importance of this holiday will help you better connect with your Jewish friends and neighbors. And what better way is there to learn about Passover than to experience a Passover Seder yourself? If you've never celebrated Passover, our friends at Life in Messiah would love to partner with you in hosting a Seder experience. Every year, their staff engages churches and small groups in an interactive Messiah in the Passover Seder, allowing participants to taste and see the redemption story. If you're interested in having someone come lead a Seder in your area, visit Life in Messiah Org and click on the radio button there to learn more. That's life in Messiah.
S1: Well, let's switch our focus now toward current events from the Middle East. Plenty to talk about, as always. Israel's current coalition has been in power now for two years. So far, it survived political opposition over judicial reform and external attacks by Hamas, Hezbollah, Iran and the Houthis. But its biggest challenges might lie just ahead, with its own internal battles over finishing the war with Hamas, drafting the ultra-Orthodox into the army and approving a budget for the next fiscal year. What makes these challenges so unique, Charlie?
S2: These challenges strike at the very heart of the coalition. They threaten to shatter the coalition, which would, of course, force new elections. The ultra-Orthodox parties in the coalition want a law passed to exempt the ultra-Orthodox from being drafted into the army. One party leader threatened to blow up the coalition if such a law isn't passed in the next two months. And that time frame he gave is significant. The other ultra-Orthodox party threatened to not vote to pass a budget without the law. Now, failure to pass a budget will automatically bring down the government and require early elections. And the deadline to pass the budget is the end of March. Bezalel Smotrich of the National Religious Party ruled out making any concessions on ultra-Orthodox conscription. His party is also religious, but they support having all Israelis, including the ultra-Orthodox, serve. He challenged the two ultra-Orthodox parties to take part in military service, or at the very least, to pass the budget before dissolving the Knesset, saying Israel needs a budget to fight a war. Following the resignation of Ben-Gvir and his party from the coalition three weeks ago, Netanyahu is left with a razor thin majority. If all the parties can't reach a compromise on the draft, the looming budget deadline at the end of March could bring about the collapse of the coalition. Netanyahu was reported to be working on a plan B should the ultra-Orthodox refuse to budge in the negotiations. Apparently, he's quietly approached opposition leaders to back his government through the hostage release in exchange for holding early elections. One year after the last captive returns, if accepted, this could allow a minority government to remain in power while ending the war with Hamas and also passing a bill to draft the ultra-Orthodox. However, it's unclear if this is a genuine offer or more of a threat to the ultra-Orthodox to get them to back down on their demands. And it's not clear if the opposition parties even see it as a legitimate offer, since they don't trust Netanyahu. We've said before that Netanyahu is a political chess master, but this could be one of the most difficult political chess matches he's ever played.
S1: Prime Minister Netanyahu met with President Trump this past week, amid the backdrop of threats from Iran and pressure from Washington. Will the U.S. give Israel permission to attack Iran's nuclear facilities? And if we do, what could we require in return?
S2: Well, some diplomats in Europe suggest Israel has already decided to attack Iran's nuclear sites. They feel the question isn't if, but when such an attack will take place. Apparently, U.S. intelligence has uncovered a covert plan in Iran to explore a faster but cruder method to develop nuclear weapons. What's certain is that Iran is concerned enough about the threat to have publicly stated that any attack on their nuclear sites will result in all out war in the region. Now, President Trump denied the US and Israel were planning an attack in that latest meeting, but he did sign an executive order renewing maximum economic pressure on Iran to try to get their oil exports down to zero. The crazy part of that meeting between Trump and Netanyahu was that Iran actually took a back seat to Trump's suggested plan to transform Gaza. His suggestion to resettle the people of Gaza and turn the area into a resort spot along the Mediterranean surprised many. It was Trump proposing new and creative solutions to the problem in Gaza, and he approached it from his background as a developer looking at prime waterfront property. Now, the plan was intriguing, but it left many questions unanswered. Would the displacement of people from Gaza be temporary or permanent? What did he mean when he said the US would take over Gaza? And was this a well developed plan, or simply intended to shock the different sides into moving off calcified positions? His idea drew immediate condemnation and rejection from Arab states and Europe, which was to be expected. But that doesn't necessarily mean the plan is a non-starter. The key now is to watch, to see what happens next. President Trump would like to implement a large scale peace plan in the region to build on the Abraham Accords and transform the Middle East. It's definitely a bold gamble, and only time will tell if he can succeed. And it put the question of attacking Iran back into a proper context.
S1: From Moody Radio. This is the land and the book. You're listening to a summary of current events unfolding in the Middle East this past week. Imagine finding legal notes from a 100 year old court case. Well, that's what scholars now believe was discovered in the Judean wilderness. What exactly was found and what is its is its significance?
S2: Yeah. And first, the background on this. The papyrus discovered the longest Greek papyrus ever found in the Judean wilderness, was unearthed by Bedouin antiquities dealers back in the 1950s. The document ended up in the archives of the Israel Antiquities Authority, where it was mislabeled as being Nabataean for all those years. Ten years ago, the papyrus was rediscovered by a professor who realized it wasn't a Nabataean document, but notes from a criminal trial in a Roman court against two Jewish defendants, likely the private notes of an attorney preparing for the trial. The scroll records an accusation of several crimes, including fiscal fraud, forgery, and sedition against two Jewish individuals. The charge was that one Jewish defendant had appeared to sell slaves to a friend in a different province, but instead of transferring them and paying the taxes, the slaves seem to have disappeared. The second defendant was accused of forging a document supporting the fictitious sale. These notes shed light on the sophistication of the Roman legal system, including the high standards of proof that were required to support criminal charges. It shows the Roman practices previously documented in Egypt were also enforced throughout the eastern part of the empire. One of the co-authors of the article about the document called it the best documented Roman court case from Judea, apart from the trial of Jesus. Sadly, since these were apparently just preparatory notes ahead of the trial, the one thing we don't know is what the final verdict was.
S1: I was about to ask. Thanks for that. Well, in the very near future, taking your car in to be serviced might include an MRI as part of the initial inspection. At least that's the vision of Israeli startup Yuvi. Tell us about this innovation coming our way from Amazing Israel.
S2: Yuvi has developed an AI driven, camera based scanner platform that can inspect a car in seconds and generate a comprehensive report on the condition of the engine, the chassis, the bodywork and the tyres. In addition to visually scanning the tyres, undercarriage and body, it also scans the interior and extracts all sensor data and alerts from the vehicle's computer. It even analyzes the engine sound. The system, originally developed for homeland security purposes to check under vehicles for explosives, has been expanded and repurposed to scan the entire car or truck. The system is already scanning a million vehicles a month, but Yuvi sees that as only the beginning. They recently signed a deal to deploy 850 of their systems at Amazon delivery stations in the US, Canada, Germany and the UK. They're also working to sign up new and used car dealerships, rental car companies and major fleet retailers. Instead of taking the word of a mechanic or service advisor or salesperson when it comes to knowing if your car or truck needs to have work done. Imagine driving through Uvi and receiving a printout showing the actual mechanical state of your vehicle. It will save the dealership time, and it will give you peace of mind in knowing exactly what needs to be done and when that happens. We need to be sure to thank Uvi from Amazing Israel.
S1: Thank you. Charlie. One last follow up question. What do you think is the significance of the fact that Netanyahu, if I'm not mistaken, is the first head of a foreign nation to visit with our president?
S2: He is the first. And they made sure to make that point abundantly clear. I think it was trying to show the close connection and camaraderie between Israel and the US right now.
S1: Well, coming up on the land and the book A visit with Sarah. You know, before she was Sarah, she was Sarah and a devoted wife. She is perhaps best known for her lack of faith. When God promised her she would have a child in her old age. But have we misjudged her? There's more to the story. Next here on the land. And the book. He promised her his heart. She promised him a son. But how long must they wait? Sarah, the last child of her aged father. Is beautiful, spoiled and used to getting her own way. Her story comes to life in a conversation we're about to have here on the land. And the book. Welcome to our second segment. I'm John Gallagher, and before we meet the Old Testament character, Sarah, let's think for a moment about creative ways that we can show the love of Jesus to our Jewish neighbors and coworkers and friends. Roy Schwartz is with Chosen People Ministries and joins us in studio now for a quick conversation about how to share our faith with Jewish friends. Roy, let me throw this at you. Your Jewish friend, my Jewish friend would be more open to a conversation about Jesus if. If we started how or avoided this or overlooked that? What's the if?
S3: If we found roots of commonality. If we found something in common with that person that you were sharing with. If if you could just touch the heart of that person and connect with some great memory that connects you with the faith of the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. I mean, most of us grew up with Passover, grew up with Hanukkah, grew up with, uh, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur. And if you can touch one of those things that, you know, that you were reading just the other day about Rosh Hashanah and, and what it meant to you and and what does it mean to you? You know, I was reading about Yom Kippur and or the Feast of Tabernacles, and those are kind of memories that stir up things in our heart. And so, again, I would look, John, for points of commonality, things that we have in common with the with the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
S1: Seems to me that meaningful conversations are a byproduct of meaningful relationships, and we can't overlook the fact that we're not going to get to that dialogue that we want to get to so badly until we've invested time in the friendship.
S3: Yeah, I think asking questions also is a great thing. If you ask a good question, you'll get a person to start talking. And once you get them starting to talk, the door opens for many things.
S1: I hope I'll be a better question asker and I hope you will be too. That's Roy Schwartz with Chosen People Ministries. Jill Eileen Smith is the best selling and award winning author of many biblical novels, including her first series, The Wives of King David. In 20 years, she's published 24 books, fiction and nonfiction, and had one of those books optioned for film. She loves Jesus, loves His word, and all things related to learning more about the culture and times of the people of the Bible, particularly the women whom God has immortalized there. We're glad to connect with Jill today on the land and the book. Welcome to you, Jill.
S4: Thanks for having me.
S1: Well, the Old Testament character Sarah is familiar to all of us, but let me start by asking, why did you choose to title the book Sarai, her original name, as opposed to the name that she came to be known by Sarah?
S4: Um, well, most of the book she's referred to as Sarai, or as I called her, Sarai. I'm not really sure how to pronounce it, but in the Bible her name isn't changed until almost the end of her life. So since the book is mostly with the original name, I decided that that would be a good choice. And I don't honestly title my books. Ravel has to make that final decision, so they agreed with me on this one. It was easy because back then we were just titling books by the name of the woman, but now it's gotten a little more complicated and it's harder to come up with titles.
S1: Yeah, well, where do you go for research on a character as old as Sarai? Obviously there's scripture. Anything else? I mean, we're talking something 2000 years ago.
S4: Yeah. Um, well, I had started my research with the wives of King David in, like, 1900 to 1000 BC. But when I got to Abraham, I had to go back a thousand years and study ancient Mesopotamia. So it took me to a new land. It took me to a thousand years earlier. And there's not much there, but there is some. I remember finding research about a tomb in Ur, and I'm not sure it's the exact Ur where Abraham came from, but they had uncovered all kinds of things that this burial site, which gave you a lot of insight into the culture. So I do a lot of research that I can find on cultural differences. And what did they worship? And, you know, the geographical situation and change, but cultures do. So I try to search for that. Besides what's in Scripture?
S1: Jill Eileen Smith is the best selling and award winning author of the biblical fiction series The Wives of King David. Wives of the Patriarchs and Daughters of the Promised Land, along with many, many others. She joins us today on The land and the book. Okay. You mentioned this tomb. What are some other actual historical details available to us regarding the life of Sarai? For example, we know that she and Abraham were married somewhere around 2000 B.C. but beyond that, what does history tell us? Or what do the times of that era suggest?
S4: Well, history doesn't have a lot, and that's one of the benefits, I suppose, of writing books set in ancient times, because you're not going to likely run into someone who is a super expert on those times because they haven't uncovered. They are more and more uncovering things of the past. But back when I did this research, that tomb, and a few other things, I looked for books on ancient Mesopotamia, but he came from the land of ur of the Chaldees and moved up to. Um, I forgot the name of the city now, where they waited a long time until Terah died and then moved to Canaan. So you kind of had to get a feel for that area. I can't pinpoint an actual place to go in a historical book to tell you so it's too many books ago. I'm sorry.
S1: Yeah. So talk to me, though, about the fact that you have done a lot of research in Israel. Uh, how does that impact the flavor of what you write? The factual basis, the historical context?
S4: I haven't actually done research in Israel. I only got to go to Israel after my first series sold. I had done everything either through books on Israel or cultural things like I always do. I look up commentaries, I look up life and times, books and all the ancient Israel books online, whatever I could find. I had studied King David for like 20 years, a long time, and done Bible study on his life. And so I had dug deep into that era, into his life. And of course, Scripture gives so much on him that was easier. But, you know, when you're switching back a thousand years, it's just having to figure out, okay, what were the differences? Were the culture? I mean, they were living in tents, not living in palaces, but David lived in caves, so it wasn't a lot different. The clothing is still similar. You know what? They ate those kind of things. Um, but back in with Abraham, he started out not knowing God. He came from a very pagan land. Although there is a link between him coming from the the line of Shem. And it's possible that one of those descendants. When I did the math, but I'm not good at math. So anyway, I think it was could have been alive when Abraham was alive. And that, I think, is where we get the name Hebrew. And anyway, he could have known some of the history of the ark and the descendants that came from that, but they were living in a very pagan area, worshiping different gods. And Sarai could have been also a worshiper of foreign gods until the Lord called them to leave. She did go with him, but how her faith was compared to his. We really aren't told. At least at first.
S1: We're talking with Jill Eileen Smith today on the land and the book as we learn about the life of Sarai. Obviously, you're creating a work of fiction based on historical biblical facts. So what guidelines shape your editing decisions when it comes to creative license with the biblical characters? And in this case, because as we've, you know, readily conceded, there isn't all that much to go on, but you still have to, you know, have some kind of guidelines. What do you use?
S4: Well, the Bible is my main guideline. I don't change what it says. I don't change what happened. I look for what might motivate them. I look for how it might have come about. And sometimes the why questions. You know, why did they make that decision? Like, for instance, Abraham decided, well, when he was Abraham to ask Sarah to tell everyone, you're my sister so they won't kill me. And I had a friend years ago that I had met. I didn't know her well, but she always wondered how Sarah felt when foreign kings would just take her, you know? What was it like when the Egyptian king said, okay, I'll take you for my wife and Abraham? Just let him? It's like, where's the protective husband, you know? And so to a woman looking at that going, this does not compute. But she went along with it more than once because it was their habit according to Scripture. So I stick with whatever scripture says and try to figure out, well, how did she feel in that situation? How did he feel? Why was he afraid for his life and not trusting God to protect him? And, you know, just trying to understand how the human nature would have played out in the situation that we're given in Scripture. And, you know, how might all of this have taken a toll on her for waiting and waiting and waiting. That's not easy.
S1: No. You know, since you've taken us down this path, a lot of Bible readers struggle to wrap their brains around Sarah being not just beautiful, but beautiful, even in her old age. Mhm. Apparently she's still turning heads in her senior years. What's your take.
S4: Ah that was pretty amazing. That why on earth even after. I think it was after the Lord visited Abraham. Abraham at that point and told him in a year, Sarah, by that point is going to have a child. And even then, unless it's like sometimes people say it's not necessarily written chronologically the way our Bibles are laid out. But it's like he traveled to the Philistine territory and another king took her into his harem. Yes. And she was supposed to be having a baby within that year. And you're like, what? Why are they doing this? So it was really strange. I mean, I could understand why she gave Hagar to Abraham. I proposed that she hit menopause and decided I'm done. I can't have a kid. Yes. And so that could have very well been her motivation there. But what was his to keep lying about this when God made all these promises to him? It's like, well, this is weird. And I think one thing I wonder about at the very end, if you don't mind a side trail, but you can interrupt me. At the end of her life, after God tests Abraham to sacrifice Isaac and she finds out about it. We aren't shown what her opinion or what happens there in her mind. But the Bible says in the chapter before her death, near the end of it, it says that Abraham lived in Beersheba, and in the next chapter she was in Hebron, and he went there to mourn for her. It doesn't say he went there, but I mean, it makes you wonder, were they living separately? I mean, can you imagine? You took my son and did what?
S1: Right?
S4: You know, I mean, I could imagine she'd have been angry and hurt. And how could you do that? This was after all these years. And did they separate? I mean, he had a concubine, and I don't know if he got the concubine. I can't remember if it was before or after she died. I think it was after, But still.
S1: Yeah, a lot of unanswered questions there for sure.
S4: I know a lot of questions I want to ask the Lord someday.
S1: So if you're just joining us, this is the land and the book, our conversation with Jill Ileene Smith. Uh, you know, is there a historical custom or perspective most of us might be ignorant of that would really help us understand just a bit better the life of Sarah, something that you encountered in your research?
S4: I think perhaps we can look at her life as one of having. I mean, for me, she's a great example of someone that has to learn to wait on the Lord and trust him, and that waiting for 25 years and being barren. You know, it happened to Zechariah and Elizabeth, too. And there's no mention of Elizabeth being, you know, here, take my servant or, you know, she was just okay. God doesn't want me to have a kid. But Sarah, she had all this angst to deal with because the promise was given to her husband, and she hadn't actually heard the promise until that visit at the tent when she left. You know, it came through Abraham. It's like Adam told Eve about the tree. God didn't tell Eve. God told Adam. And so when we look at things in Scripture and realize, well, the woman got the information second hand. And how much harder is that to trust the Lord? Because you're trusting your husband and he's trusting the Lord, and you're trying to think that he knows what he's doing, but he's asking you to lie for him at the same time. So you're kind of having this crisis of faith, perhaps. But I think in the end, she's written about in Hebrews 11, as someone with the faith that, you know, she's commended for. So she did have faith. We find it out later, you know. But in her actual story, it's harder to see.
S1: I think that is helpful. And it'll even be more helpful as we as we check out the book. Sara. It's from Jill Eileen Smith. There's a link to the book, a link to her website at our website. The land and the book. Org, the land and the book org. Sure appreciate your taking the time to let us understand this lady's life a lot better. You put a lot into it and we thank you for your careful research.
S4: Oh, thank you for asking the questions.
S1: All right, well, up next we've got more questions, not mine. Yours right here on the land and the book. Welcome back to segment three of the Land and the book. I'm John Gager hoping your day is going well. It's about to get better. Why? Because there's something very, very satisfying about looking at a puzzling issue of scripture and getting an actual answer. That's what's in store for you as we sit down and say hello to Doctor Gerald Peterman of the Moody Bible Institute faculty. Good to connect with you, sir.
S5: Likewise. Good to be connected.
S1: And you know, we've got a big stack of questions as always. So let's dig right in, starting with this one from Dan who asks, can all diseases encountered by Christians be a result of specific sins?
S5: Okay, to give a short answer, Dan, no. This is an important question, but can a sin cause a disease? Yes. But are all of them caused by sins? No. We should now go look at some passages of scripture about that. In first Corinthians 11, Paul warns the Corinthians about how they partake of the Lord's Supper. Do not partake of the Lord's Supper in an unworthy manner, because if you do so, it could be trouble. He says anyone who eats or drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment unto himself. This is why many among you are weak and sick. In other words, yes, it's possible for a sin to lead to illness. But wait, now we must go to John chapter nine. You know what happens in happens in John chapter nine? Jesus is walking along. He encounters a man born blind, and the disciples ask, Lord, who sinned? This man should be born blind, him or his parents. And the Lord said, neither one this is for the glory of God. Yeah. So we should ask ourselves the question when we're ill, is this a sin? Because the answer might be yes, it might be no. This question is, in part, the question that job's friends are bringing to job. Exactly right. The Lord's testimony. He is righteous, but he is really suffering physically.
S1: Let's go to Sadie's question in judges 11. Why is Jephthah prohibited from an inheritance for being born to a prostitute? What was his fault if his father was the one who fornicated? I mean, this almost follows that first question.
S5: Yeah, and I appreciate that question. If we come to the passage of Scripture, what we find is that God isn't the one that prohibits it. It's the other sons who prohibit it. Did so the text reads this is 11 two. Gilead's wife also bore him sons, and when they were grown up, they drove Jethro away. You're not going to get any inheritance in our family, they said, because you are the son of another woman. This isn't the Lord's decision. This isn't the father's decision. This is the other brother's decision.
S1: Let's get to Terry's question. He wants to know, is it possible that before the flood, all the land was together and all the seas were one? The flood caused such an amazing disruption on the earth, with mountains and rising up of landmasses, amazing tsunamis, the foundations of the deep burst forth were told. My question and it's obvious speculation, says Terry. Is there anywhere in the Bible that suggests this as possible?
S5: Well, the short answer is there's no particular text that directly addresses this. There are a couple that are sometimes cited. Genesis 110 mentions that there are various seas in this earth as created, but we should keep in keep in mind that a C might be a smaller body of water, like we would say, the Sea of Galilee, rather than being an ocean. Later on in Genesis ten, when one describes an ancestor who's named Peleg, it said that because in his time the earth was divided. But almost certainly divided here means people were driven apart at Babel. They were in different tribes rather than landmasses being divided. So certainly the flood caused some disruption, but changing one landmass into many, we just can't be sure.
S1: All right. Does Prevenient Grace allow a person to reject and later accept the call of Christ by the Holy Spirit free will? Or is there one call? And that's the moment of salvation, just this irresistible grace thing.
S5: And I appreciate this question too. Likewise, we have some phrases which can be helpful, but really are not biblical phrases. Prevenient grace a kind of grace that goes ahead. A kind of kind of grace that helps you to do what you want to do, but you're actually kind of doing it yourself. Prevenient grace is a kind of grace that works with you. This is set up against irresistible grace, which is something you cannot work against. It's just going to draw you. But this is not human experience. Rather than using these kinds of categories, I'd rather say that God is continuously working with us and in us and for us. Let me give you myself as an example of this. I heard the gospel many, many times as a young man in church, on the radio from friends, and it never made any sense. I rejected it as silly and stupid until the day I heard it again. I heard nothing new. It made sense. Yes, that was the time that God enabled me to understand it. But it was not as if I felt like, oh, I'm going to be now believing against my will. Now he drew me and I came to came to Christ.
S1: Doctor Gerald Peterman is a professor of Bible at Moody Bible Institute. In the classroom every day teaching students and kind enough to share some of his wisdom with us. As you email us your questions at the Land and the book@moody.edu. Alan says it sounds like Jeremiah 4935 through 39 is really a future judgment of the Iranian regime. Am I off here? Could it apply to the current situation that's happening right now? Would it apply to that, or is that stretching things to say that Iran's judgment is coming?
S5: I personally take the judgment on Islam in Jeremiah 49 as having occurred in the past, though I know some take it as a future destruction. Jeremiah dates the prophecy to early in the reign of Zedekiah, who began ruling at Judah's final king in 597 BC. In Ezekiel 3217, Ezekiel delivers a prophecy that is dated to March 5th, 85 BC. His prophecy focuses on Egypt's impending destruction by Babylon. In the prophecy, Ezekiel pictures Egypt going down to the grave and encountering other nations already there. Now here comes the key part. These include Assyria, Elam, Meshech and Tubal, and Edom and the Sidonians. The point of the prophecy is to show that the Egyptians were about to be defeated in battle by the Babylonians, and joined the ranks of the other nations, who had also been defeated by Nebuchadnezzar. So my point here is that Ezekiel seems to be saying that by 585 BC, Elam had been defeated by the Babylonians.
S1: Our Q&A segment continues here on the land and the book. With Mark's question, he says, I'm somewhat perplexed by the story of Solomon, particularly his request for discernment and wisdom in First Kings chapter two. The Lord granted that request. Plus something Solomon had not asked for, namely great wealth and riches. Solomon demonstrated great maturity for a 20 year old by asking only for wisdom. The wealth that the Lord bestowed may well have led to Solomon's downfall, though so did the Lord. Lead him into temptation by also giving that wealth.
S5: I don't see the wealth that God gave Solomon as the primary temptation that led to his downfall. I say this for two reasons. First, we know from first Timothy six verse ten, it's the love of money, and not just money itself. That's the root of all evil. And I think Solomon knew this because he said virtually the same thing in Ecclesiastes 510. Whoever loves money never has enough money. Whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless. Now, the second reason I think that money isn't the primary issue here is the Bible makes it clear that the ultimate sin that brought down Solomon wasn't wealth, but the idolatry that came into his life through his multiple wives. As you know, he married wives from several other countries, and they all had their own particular gods. In First Kings 11, the writer summarizes the problem this way. King Solomon, however, loved many foreign women. As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the Lord his God. As the heart of David, his father had been. I think these two things are the primary issues.
S1: Last question from Greg, who describes the the millions of Israelites that fled Egypt heading for the Promised Land. Do we know from Scripture who died in the desert and who made it? In that 40 years there would have been a lot of children born? Did only those plus Caleb and Joshua make it? I know it's not a super critical question, but I'm curious.
S5: What we know for sure is that every male over 20 except Joshua and Caleb died during the time in the wilderness. That would be something like 603,548. And this doesn't count the priests and Levites who weren't numbered with the men of war. We can also assume that many of the women died, though they're not given a total number. In addition, some of the mixed multitude that left Egypt with the Israelites must also have died. Finally, even those under 20 who could have lived probably died during events like Coras Rebellion. Scene number 16 the incident with the fiery serpents. See number 21. And the immorality that took place with the Moabite women. As Israel neared the Promised Land. Scene number 25. In fact, that the number of fighting men was slightly less at the end of 40 years than it was at the beginning. By just a few thousand, suggests that the number of people likely remained relatively constant. So 2 to 3 million started out for the promised land, and the same number were alive some 40 years later. It seems likely that the number who died must have been about the same, something like 2 to 3 million.
S1: Well, either way, that's a lot of funerals.
S5: Indeed.
S1: Well, your question welcome as you email us at The Land and the book@moody.edu. But right now we're going to going to pause before getting ready to hear Charlie Dyer's devotional, next on the land and the book. Welcome back to segment four of the land and the book. I'm John Gager with our host, Charlie Dyer. Charlie, just yesterday I was walking from Moody to the train station, and I encountered a lady with a tiny little dog. It looked like a puppy, but it wasn't. It was a I think she called it an Aussie. And she said, it's full grown, six years old. That's all the bigger it gets. I'm just amazed at the number of kind of dogs there are, right?
S2: The number is astounding. I watched a dog show the other day, and I never even heard of half the breeds that they were showing.
S1: Well, in case you think the show has gone to the dogs, it has. But we'll let Charlie share all of that after this perspective from somebody who's been to the Holy Land and shares this now with you and me.
S6: Hi, my name is Eunice and I'm going to tell you my Holy Land experience. We won in 2001. There were six of us and we went and we just had the most wonderful guide. He knew the Bible backwards and forwards, but he did not want to be a Christian. We tried, but he took us so many wonderful places. And the place that stands out is we went to the Jordan River and they gave each of us a robe and we were baptized in the Jordan River. It was so memorable to know that that's where Jesus was baptized and we were too. We had so many wonderful experiences and do not hesitate to go. There are many wonderful people there who welcome us to come and are grateful for us to come and say thank you. We even went unto the Palestinian side of the of the market by where Jesus was crucified. They opened up a shop for us, and he could not say thank you enough that we would come over and take the risk and the time to go over there. And I praise God that we had the opportunity, and I hope we get to go back soon.
S1: I'm intrigued. Charlie, you have titled Today's devotional.
S2: What show? Dogs and hunting dogs.
S1: All right. I'll let you have at it.
S2: Okay. Thanks, John. Well, some years ago, when I was living in Texas, I was talking with a friend about an organisation's new chief financial officer. My buddy was a native Texan, and his response came right from the Lone Star State. It was direct to the point and colorful. The man's a show dog. Seeing my quizzical expression, he added an equally colorful explanation. He looks good, but he can't hunt. Well, that expression and its meaning have stuck with me ever since. We all come across show dogs in our lives. Men and women who appear confident, sophisticated, distinguished, intelligent or successful, but who can't get the job done. They look good, but they can't hunt. Jesus had little patience for the show dogs of his day, the hypocritical religious leaders who put on a facade of godliness but who didn't know God. And he was equally colorful in his description of these charlatans. Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs which look beautiful on the outside, but on the inside are full of dead man's bones and everything unclean. From the very beginning of his public ministry, Jesus challenged the show dog mentality of his day. In the early chapters of Matthew, the author pictures Jesus as the ideal Israelite, just as the nation in its infancy went into Egypt. So Jesus was carried to Egypt as a baby. The nation had its baptismal experience in the Red sea, and Jesus was baptized in the Jordan River. Israel then went into the wilderness where it was tested. So Jesus went into the wilderness and was tempted by Satan. Finally, Israel went to Mount Sinai to receive the law. And Jesus went up on a mountainside and explained the true meaning of God's law, and how it ought to be lived out in our lives. We often call that message the sermon on the Mount, and it's found in Matthew chapter 5 to 7. The Bible doesn't tell us the exact location where Jesus delivered the sermon on the Mount, but the traditional spot overlooking the Sea of Galilee fits the few biblical details recorded. Matthew tells us Jesus was in Galilee when he went up on the mountainside to deliver his message. And when he came down from the mountainside in Matthew eight, the first town he entered was Capernaum, standing at the entrance to Capernaum. Today, the dome of the church on the traditional Mount of Beatitudes is visible on top of the hill, just a mile to the west. From the balcony of that church, there's a magnificent view of the Sea of Galilee, grassy fields interspersed with banana groves descend toward the water's edge. It's easy to visualize thousands of curiosity seekers flocking to this hillside, or one nearby, to listen to the latest message from this rabbi, and perhaps to be an eye witness to one of his miracles. But whatever brought them to the site, they weren't prepared for the penetrating message he was about to deliver. Most of us know the beginning of Jesus's message, the Beatitudes. But I want to focus on the rest of the message. Jesus made it clear he had not arrived to do away with God's standards for right and wrong. Do not think I have come to abolish the law or the prophets, he cried. I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. He explained the true intent of God's law, giving several examples. You have heard that it was said he announced, followed by the standard pharisaic interpretation of God's law concerning murder, adultery, divorce, the taking of an oath, seeking revenge, and loving one's neighbor. But he followed each section explaining God's true intent for that law with a dramatic contrast. But I tell you, the difference was profound. Like the difference between a show dog and one that can actually hunt. So what was the standard for obedience that God expected? Jesus gave a summary at the end of chapter five. Be perfect therefore, as your heavenly father is perfect. God's standard is perfection. Jesus achieved that standard. But the religious leaders of his day did not. And if we're honest with ourselves, we need to admit we don't reach that standard either. Jesus then looked beyond a person's actions to focus on his or her motives. Be careful not to do your acts of righteousness before men to be seen by them. He highlighted the key ways one demonstrated devotion to God in his day, giving to the needy, praying and fasting. In each case, he said, A religious hypocrite does the right thing, but for the wrong motives to be honored by others, to be seen by others, to demonstrate to others his or her devotion to God. Those seeking to impress others forfeit the reward they could have received from God. Jesus's point is profound. If we really are seeking to please God by our actions, then it shouldn't matter whether or not others even know what we've done. Jesus ended his message with a stern series of warnings. The way leading to destruction is wide, but small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. Not everyone who says to me, Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven. The ones listening to his words and putting them into practice are like a wise man building his house on the rock. In short, obedience to his words will provide stability and a solid foundation to help one withstand life's storms. And that brings us back to the Sea of Galilee, to Jesus and to And to us. Jesus understood the power of storms. He would soon calm a storm on the Sea of Galilee with the simple command. Peace. Be still. More importantly, he understood the sinfulness of the human heart. The religious leaders in Jesus's day sought to meet God's righteous standards by reinterpreting them to make them easier to keep. And don't get me wrong, they still wanted to have standards that were too difficult for most people, but just not for them. They weren't perfect, but if God would just grade on a curve, they would be better than everyone else. But Jesus knew that dog wouldn't hunt for I tell you. He warned that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven. God doesn't grade on a curve. And the only passing grade is 100%. So where does that leave us? The Bible makes it clear that all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. No one, no matter how religious, has met God's standard. So can anyone get to heaven? The answer, thankfully, is yes. We can't make it there through our own good works, because none of us can achieve the standard set by God. But Jesus was perfect. He did reach that standard. He was the only person who ever lived who could make it to heaven through his own good works. But instead of going straight to heaven, he took a detour that led him from this hill overlooking the Sea of Galilee to another hill called Calvary, just outside the city of Jerusalem. When Jesus hung on the cross, he did so to pay the penalty for your sin and mine. As the prophet Isaiah predicted seven centuries before the time of Jesus, he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities. The punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray. Each of us has turned to his own way. And the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all. So how do we get to heaven? It's not through our own efforts. Rather, we can receive eternal life as a gift by placing our faith and trust in Jesus and in his death on our behalf. Sometime today, get by yourself and read Matthew 5 to 7. Note the impossibly high standards required to be righteous before God, and then thank God that Jesus met those standards and willingly went to the cross in our place to pay the penalty for our disobedience.
S1: Thank you Charlie. And if you're tired of being a show dog spiritually, if you want to be the real deal right with God, a friend will pray with you now. Answer your questions about knowing Jesus when you call 888. Need him? Talk to that volunteer now at 888. Need him. But a great program, a full broadcast. As always. We thank you for listening. We thank the station here for providing air time for the land and the book, a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.