S1: Coming to you from the Morning Star Mission sponsored studio. This is Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Well, if you are a parent or a grandparent, nothing delights you more than to see your kids try to be helpful. Oh, try to look out for someone else. Try to think of others first. I mean the kindness they show. Respect. Like, wow, thank you. Blesses you, right?
S3: Yeah. Uh, I've got an experience with this. I was five, but I remember it clearly. Uh, I was helping my dad in California wash his motorcycle. Uh, because he just needed some help. So we were hand washing the motorcycle, and I had the hose, and I was spraying stuff down, and I said, well, man, this is. I mean, it's dirty. The exhaust pipe is pretty dirty, too. It's dirty in there. So what I did thinking I was helping, was I stuck the hose, the running hose inside the exhaust pipe. Oh, no. And he didn't see me do it at first. So I'd done it for a little while, and he came around and he said, no, no, no, no, no. And so he had to tip his motorcycle backwards to drain all the, all the water out of the exhaust pipe, cause I was like, it's dirty in there. There's grime. I'm just helping. So I'm helping. I'm getting the water in there. We're cleaning it.
S2: Be helpful. You had the oh, you had the right spirit.
S3: Almost destroyed his motorcycle.
S4: Oh, Jonathan.
S2: Oh, you know, you assign chores, you try to instill this as a as a value so that they can. But lifelong hopefully, even when it's the best is when it's not required of them. And they're just trying to be helpful. Yes. I mean that that blesses you. I know your son is recently graduated from high school. Yes I know.
S4: Thank you. Ellie.
S2: Congratulations, by the way. Thank you. That is huge. I remember trying to be helpful when I was, when I was young, but I, I was extremely clumsy, so my help usually did not end up being helpful. I got really tall, really early. Sure. And so I am almost 511. I actually went to the doctor's office recently and they measured me at 511.
S3: Is were you not 511 before 510? Man, you're growing still. You're just about to hit your growth spurt.
S2: My growth spurt.
S4: I want to go to your doctor.
S2: So I was so. I've always been tall and. And for a while it took me some time to adjust to my height. So I was just very, very clumsy.
S3: Knocking things over because I didn't know how long your arms were.
S2: I think my parents were measured in the things that they asked of me, because help was kind of like, oh.
S4: Can she do it? We want to encourage her. Don't want to give her something that's gonna. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Well, one day.
S2: We lived in this, uh, this this kind of a duplex where we were on the top floor. It was like a duplex up and down. Sure. And so we had to climb like a stairs inside stairs to get to the top floor. And then the landlord lived on the bottom floor. So we had a garage that we stored, you know, like, like a bigger freezer and refrigerator down there.
S3: Gotta have a.
S2: Garage, a garage fridge. Exactly. You know, big family, four kids. So we always had extra stuff to store. So one day I wanted to be helpful. And so I decided to bring up what was needed for dinner out of the downstairs fridge, up to the top floor for my mom.
S3: Very nice.
S2: To help. Yeah. So I carefully gather up what's needed. I start, I get two, three, four, five, six, seven all the way up to the very top step without issue.
S4: You were there.
S2: I was this close.
S4: No.
S2: This close. That top step was my undoing. My toe caught the top step. I was carrying a pot full to the top of spaghetti sauce for dinner.
S4: Spaghetti?
S2: My top toe. Hit the top step. Down goes the pot. Over. Turns onto the blue carpet. Pasta sauce and I. I had glasses at the time, so it's on my face. It's dripping off my glasses and my mom is staring in horror.
S3: Yeah.
S2: Thank you for helping.
S3: This wasn't like ragu. This was like, homemade, wasn't it?
S2: Was like a pot of spaghetti with sauce. It was such a mess.
S3: Oh, boy.
S2: And it was on me. And it was on the blue carpet. And my mom, she did not yell. She did not shame me because I was trying to be helpful.
S3: You were trying.
S2: But boy, did I make a mess. You were trying to be helpful cleaning the inside of that motorcycle.
S3: And it looked dirty to me.
S2: But boy, can you make a mess. You've got the best of intentions. Life's a little like that sometimes, right? You have good intentions. But boy, can you make a mess.
S1: You can take him out of Alaska, but you can't take Alaska out of him. Carl is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Coming up, Ann Wilson, host of Family Life Today with her husband, Dave. She talks about a time when she was really trying to be helpful in her marriage, but instead she kind of made a mess of things. We'll explain.
S1: She's a choreographer extraordinaire and everything is Greek to her. Super di is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Well, when you are an author and a speaker and you ask your husband to do a speaking engagement on your behalf to a group of moms and you'll be in the room with them, there's a direction you think that this will go. There will be encouragement. There will be a level of love that's expressed. There will be an honoring. There will be a cheering for one another, at least. And Wilson, that's what you thought was going to happen. You asked Dave to step in to speak to the moms of preschoolers, because surely offering up a man's opinion, a man's advice to this hungry group of moms was going to be a great decision. And yet you sat there. Tell me about how that talk went, because that's where we have to start here.
S5: Oh, Ali, it was quite a time. Dave and I were actually on the stage together, but I just thought, oh, the women are going to love him. He's their pastor. This is going to go so well. But he gets up there and he starts sharing stuff I had never heard him share before, which I'm like, okay, because he starts saying this. He goes, women. I don't know if you get what it's like for us to be guys, because usually most of us as little kids have somebody cheering for us, a mom or a dad, grandparent, whoever, teacher. But they're like, hey, you're great at that. And then he says, I got older. I found I love music, I was good in sports. And so I have teachers and coaches like Dave Wilson. You're the man, you're great at this. And then he says, and then I meet Ann and basically she says, of all the men in the world, I choose you, Dave Wilson. You're the man. Now. I'm sitting on this stool. We both started on the stool, and he gets up at that point and he's walking around, he's pacing, he's super energetic. And when he said, like, I met Ian, she chose me. I'm like, yeah, this is cool. Yes. I've never really thought about this. And then his whole demeanor changes and he says, but then we're married a while, and I walk through the door at the end of the day, and it feels like all I hear is boo boo boo.
S6: And I'm like, wait, what? What just happened?
S7: What in the world?
S6: What in the world? That's what I thought. What in the world?
S5: I don't even know how we ended. Honestly, I was so shocked because he had never, ever said anything like that to me in our lives. So I get in the car afterwards, and I close the door, and I'm like, you think I boo you? I am helping you.
S6: Yeah.
S5: And then he goes, well, let me ask you, is it helping? I'm like, no, I have to say it more often, and I have to say it louder because you obviously aren't getting it. And that was the start of this journey that I went on, because I thought my words were motivating to Dave, that if I thought, you know, told him what he was doing wrong, he'd he'd think, well, I'll show her. I'm going to be great. No, it made him run away from me. He hated it, but he had never.
S2: Never shared it. And Wilson, our guest right now. She co-hosts Family Life Today along with her husband, Dave. Married more than 40 years, have spent more than three decades teaching and mentoring couples and parents across the country. Now, the cool thing that we always love about having you or Dave or both of you on is you guys are just so vulnerable and so honest about your challenges, about your victories. Now, when you started to discover that what you thought was helpful encouragement, you wanted Dave to be a better husband. He was a great pastor. He was a dad, but he was a little absent. He was dropping some balls around the house and you wanted to motivate him. How did you process this as you started to realize the impact that your words were actually having on him?
S8: Well, it's funny, I went.
S5: Before God when we got home from that drive and I was like, and I think it's okay to vent to God and to tell him everything that we feel. It's called confession. David did it in the Psalms. And so, you know, I was like, Lord, can you believe that? Like I am trying to be great here and help him? And then at the end of the prayer, I prayed this God, do I boo Dave? Am I not cheering for him ever? And I felt the nudge of the Holy Spirit just say and start cheering for him. And I wasn't because I thought everybody else is cheering for him. He thinks, you know, he's probably fine, but I didn't realize the power of my words. And Proverbs 1821 says, the tongue has the power of life and death. And my words, which I thought would motivate him, it was doing the opposite. And we as women, we have so much power with our words over our family, over our husbands especially. And our husbands need it from us more than anyone else.
S2: There are many women listening right now who are in various stages of their marriage journey. Maybe some newly married, many years into marriage. And I know that people are feeling like you don't know my husband. And what do you mean? I'm supposed to cheer for him? What is there to cheer for? And that's what some women. Maybe they wouldn't utter it aloud, but many women are feeling that you're asking them to do something that feels sort of inconceivable.
S5: I felt the same thing, and I've had so many women come up to me and say, you don't get it. Like there's nothing to cheer for. I see nothing that I can say, good job or whatever. And here's what I would say. And this is what I said to myself. Our husbands like us are made in God's image. And when we married them, we saw something in them. And so I say to women, and this became my prayer. And this was the beginning of my journey. God, show me the greatness in Dave and Allie. Ali. He answers that prayer. And I say to women, remember why you married him so now. And we create these neurological pathways in our brains. Now brain science is catching up with Scripture that says we create these patterns of thinking, the negative. And that's where I would go every time I'd be folding the laundry thinking, he's never here. He's not leading. He's not praying. He's not. I go through my list every time. And one time I felt like God would said to me, like, what would happen if you prayed for him as much as you complained about him? And man, ooh, some of that stuff is convicting. And so that prayer of God show me the greatness in my husband. God will show you some really good things as you create these new neurological pathways.
S2: What is it about us women that this is challenging? Because, you know, it's easy for us to cheer for our kids. Sometimes it's easiest for us to cheer for our friends, our coworkers. But the marriage relationship, There's the stereotype of the nagging wife, and I don't like stereotypes, but many stereotypes are there because they're rooted a grain, at least of truth. What is it that makes us have the propensity to kind of nag our way into getting what we want? I mean, let's just keep it real.
S5: Well, here's where I started. I felt like I'm I'm not a person, that I can't fake it. But I also know in Scripture God calls us to be obedient. And so I was like, okay, Lord, here's where I'm going to start. And I felt like he was saying to me, just start by thanking him for the things he's doing. If you see him doing anything and here's what, here's what got to me. And this is where it was an ugly thing to see. I thought, why would I thank him? I do everything around here and nobody thinks me. Nobody notices me. You hear the pride in that?
S6: Yeah.
S5: And so, I mean, I had to practice it. So it started small, like, hey, thanks for bringing in the garbage cans. And when I said that, he looked and maybe they sat out there for two days, I don't know.
S6: But I thanked him.
S5: Thanks for doing.
S6: That.
S5: And he seemed like, oh, this is new. And then this one evening I'd been reading, studying about this, praying about it. We're sitting at the dinner table and I say, hey guys, before we eat and pray, I just want to say, Dave, thanks for working so hard. Like your work ethic is pretty amazing and you provide so much for our family. Thank you. And he had this look of utter shock.
S6: But.
S5: Then he had the biggest smile on his face and he told me later I could see the book you were reading on the counter, and I still didn't care because.
S6: It felt so, so good. And so I had to lay down.
S5: My pride part, you know.
S6: Like.
S5: Lay that down.
S2: You've got a new book out, How to speak Life to your husband when all you want to do is yell at him. The title alone is likely to get some people to pick it up who maybe otherwise wouldn't read a marriage book, but you're really going after it in this book. I mean, you really saw God begin to transform your marriage, which by your own words, you almost destroyed because of how you were using your words. What did you see God do that you want to help other women through this book?
S5: Well, I didn't do it to necessarily change, Dave. I felt like God was putting a mirror up to me and saying, let's look at yourself and let's see what you can do. But what happened was crazy because Dave became more motivated. Men usually go and women do this as well. We go where we're cheered, we go where we're affirmed. And the more I was affirming Dave and looking for the things he was doing right, the more energy he seemed to have at home. Like, for instance, one of my nagging. And this is awful. It's embarrassing. I would say things like, man, I wish you could be. And he's a pastor, like the spiritual leader. I had this image of what it would look like in my head for him with our kids. And so I would say things like, oh, you know, Steve's reading the Bible every night to his kids. That's like a boo, you know? I think he's going to motivate him. No, but instead, I watched him. I have new eyes. Show me the greatness in Dave. And I watched him pray with our boys one night, and he came out of the room and I said, man, I'm super jealous of just the power you have over our kids. And he goes, what are you talking about? I said, man, they cling to every word that you say. And I wish I had that because it's like bedlam when I'm in there. It's crazy. But when you do it, they're like, locked into you, like, man, it's like you have a superpower. And the next night he was in there again and again. Because I think a lot of our men have these insecurities that we're not even aware of, and they feel like if we're booing them or if we're saying nothing or if we're negative, they lose their energy and they think, yeah, I am bad at that and I'm not good at this. And so we have some incredible power as women and as wives.
S2: Ann Wilson phenomenal. You can hear her and Dave on their family life today on the Moody Radio Network. If you want more. Just text the word family to 800 555 7898. Text family to 800 555 7898.
S1: He's a sports fanatic with a stat for anything you can think of. Young Thunder is in the crew. It's curl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Good morning, I'm Ali, this is Carl and crew, and we've mentioned a couple times that Carl is away on a ministry trip this week. He's actually traveling in Burundi, which is in East Africa, working with pastors. And I believe that we have him connected. We've been working on the connection this morning. Carl, can you hear me?
S9: I can, yes. What a what an amazing thing technology is. Have you got me, sister?
S2: I can hear you loud and clear. Tell us how you're doing. What are you up to there?
S9: This has already been an amazing couple of days. We're just praising God. A beautiful day here. It's a little bit past noon in Burundi. I have beside me here Passi Pacifico, and we call him Passi. He's our translator and we're right on the border. I was blown away. Passi. How far are we away from the Congo?
S10: So we are just like a few miles from the Congo. About two miles from the Congo. And then I'll say 15km to the border between Burundi and Rwanda. Rwanda. So we're in a place called Cibitoke, southwest of Burundi, bordering two countries, Rwanda and Congo.
S9: Yeah, Ali, where we're going today is awesome. I want to I want to let Passi speak to this. Do you have a minute to hear his heart here?
S2: Yes, please.
S9: Okay. Take it away, my man.
S10: So today we're heading to a community of wounded soldiers. And this is a community that was set up for the people who had been in the government and the people who were Uh, formerly called rebels because they were in the forest fighting against the government. So when the Civil War ended, uh, they put them together in the same community. This is a community of 42 families. Uh, each family has, on average, six children. We've been discipling and sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ, uh, with them for four years. And then we got to build for them a chapel opening, officially opening this chapel for them, uh, to start fellowshipping and, uh, having their weekly meetings, Bible studies in this place. It's amazing. God is good.
S9: It's amazing. Ally. It's, uh, you know, we we just had about an hour and a half drive from the capital city of Bujumbura. And, uh, driving up here, one of the things that's interesting here in this country is that there, it's a very, um, it's a very church culture. Uh, but it is very unreached. and this incredible ministry. We're partnered up with several actually. But the the, the passion of guys like Passi to get the real gospel into the hearts. How do you say it this morning? How did what's the words that you use about in the heart.
S10: In the heart of having fellowship with God in our hearts? Yeah, that's the word I used.
S9: And it's it's so the challenges that we face even stateside Ali of cultural Christianity, it's a bit here in Burundi as well. And, you know, we're driving past thousands of bicycles. In fact, Passi was telling me, you can't get married here in Burundi unless you have a bicycle, or the father in law is like, no, you're not taking my daughter. But on these, on these bicycles, they have to be on, they have to be transport. And the amount of the cost of fuel down here, Ali, you can get if you're getting it at a bargain, if you get it for $10 a gallon, but on the streets and they're constantly flagging us down. It's about $20 a gallon. In a country that a day's wage is a dollar. Ali, get your head around that one.
S2: Oh, my.
S4: Wow.
S9: Yeah. Yeah. But it's it's so awesome. Patsy, what's the spirit of God got on your heart this morning, my man?
S10: Uh, so this morning, uh, the Spirit of God, uh, has been on my heart telling me that we have to bring more people into this relationship, this amazing and gracious relationship that we have with Christ. Because it's true that the more the more people attend Rondy, they have not really experienced God for themselves. It's a a bandwagon religion, um, made up of, uh, people just, uh, religious gatherings. So it's a time for revival in this country. Whatever. A personal experience with a saving grace of Jesus Christ. So that's what we are doing all over these communities. We are not introducing any religion to the people we are meeting. We are just telling them about a God who loves them, a God who's willing to die for them, even if it was just one individual on this whole planet. A God who cares for them, who comforts them in their challenges and people are falling in love with Jesus. Uh, the really the Jesus who's not religious, the Jesus of love, the Jesus of salvation. And they are passionate. They are passionate. I was telling them last night, if we ever miss a day on our schedule where we don't come to share the message of Jesus Christ with these people, we have problems with them because they have come to understand how much God loves them. So we praise God for what he's going on. To me, this is what we've been praying for. The revival is happening now.
S9: And I just I know you're on a probably a time crunch, but sister, I got to tell you something. And young Thunder and I and everyone in the boom crew across the United States. It is an awesome thing to see this young movement of men and women. And we saw it last night with some of these, uh, in America, we call it Cassie's posse, your running buddies. But we it's an awesome thing because Cassie's with these guys. He's introducing him. We're having a dinner together, and these are young, hungry men of God, and they. It's just awesome because there's a movement here in the younger generation, isn't there?
S10: Like 60% of the people who are are doing ministry in Burundi? They are all they are all under 30 years old, like 30 years and below. It's amazing. God is working in the hearts of young people. Young people are right now the backbone of the church. They are. The majority of preachers in Burundi now are also are below 30 years old. Those are the people standing up for Jesus. Those are people starting churches and discipling people and they are hungry for God. They want to experience more of God and we praise God for it.
S9: Oh, there's so much more coming this week. But oh, how thrilling is this?
S2: Incredible. Carl, just give us just about 30s. Of what? What are you what are your expectations for this this week? What are you going to be doing?
S9: You know, we're going to have a couple. We're going to have an open air evangelistic rally. But this is very different. It's not like a scheduled week of evangelism like you see at many times stateside. These are people that will travel ten, 15km, right. And they will walk on foot not to get fed food, but the word of God. And so there's a hunger here, especially in rural areas. And people are traveling, and it's incumbent on us that we share the unvarnished truth that blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God. And it is an awesome privilege we'll will be working with. We don't know how many pastors. I don't know if it's going to be 100, 400. Um, you know, a lot of these things, you're flying by the seat of your pants and the power of the Holy Spirit. Uh, but we're going to have a great week here. Indeed. And and I hope it's an encouragement that we've got brothers and sisters around the globe who are all in with Jesus Christ.
S1: Making herself laugh no matter who joins her. It's time for Allie thinks it's funny.
S2: Well, this first joke. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I, I think it's funny.
S3: You think it's funny? Well, I mean, that's the important part.
S4: Yeah, but there's.
S2: A.
S4: There's.
S2: A segment of the population that's going to get it. And then there's the young Thunder and younger. That may not.
S3: Okay.
S2: So that's okay.
S3: I'm ready.
S2: I'm gonna I'm gonna give it a try.
S4: Okay.
S2: And you boom crew can can tell me if you think I should keep this one or pitch it. So here. Here it goes. I spent all day walking around at a ravioli convention. You know, they have conventions for everything, right?
S3: That's awesome.
S2: All of the niche, interest, interests, you can find a convention for everything. So today, walking around all day at a ravioli convention. Sure. I came back and I said, Chef Boyardee's legs tired.
S3: That's good. And yes, I get the joke. Ali.
S2: Do you get.
S3: It? Yeah. Chef Boyardee was a big thing when I was a kid.
S2: Still okay? Still is. I wasn't sure if Chef Boyardee was too niche. Sophisticated for your palate.
S3: Sophisticated?
S2: No.
S3: I bet you mean a canned ravioli. Is it too sophisticated?
S2: No. I didn't know if you. I felt like that was before your time.
S3: No. It was. It was still a big thing. They had Chef Boyardee contests when I was a kid.
S2: Oh, that's like a convention. Thank you. Okay, well, so you can you can yay or nay on that one. And I won't be offended if it's a nay for you. I was trying it out. It was the first time. Next one up is also a first timer. But this one. This one I like. Uh, what do you call emergency cheese? You got to keep cheese on hand in case of emergency. What do you call emergency cheese?
S3: I don't know.
S2: Just in case. Oh.
S3: Oh my goodness.
S7: Wow. Where's Carl when you need him? Where's Carl when you need him?
S3: You're not going to get a lot of help.
S7: Text the word jokes to 800.
S2: 555, 78, 98. Come on. I need more humor in the building. Text jokes to 800 555 7898. You are listening to Carl and crew.
S1: Your shot of hope to help you through the day. This is Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: You know, I follow, uh, a lot of different accounts on Instagram that I that sometimes their fashion they have helpful things on putting together outfits. If you're a mom who is about my age with about my sense of fashion, see some cooking things, I follow a woman who gives safety tips and I find them them pretty helpful. She's a clinical or criminal psychologist, something like that. And so she has all these different tips daily, a daily tip to help you kind of stay safe. And one of the ones that caught my ear, she talked about, one of the things that criminals look for is someone who is distracted. And so she said, one of the best forms of protection is that when you are out walking, walk with purpose. It's not the time to be have your head buried in your phone. It's not the time to be fumbling around in your purse looking for something very true. When you when you are walking, particularly when you are walking by yourself. But really at any time. And this is something, let's be honest, living in a big city, there are safety concerns everywhere, but particularly when you are in a bigger city. And I think about this. You want to walk with purpose. I never have my phone in my hand when I'm walking. I've got my head up, I've got my shoulders back and I am not distracted. And I thought, that's a great principle to keep yourself physically safe. But then I thought, that's also a pretty good spiritual warning, too.
S3: For sure.
S2: That you are most vulnerable when you are distracted, when you are not focused, when when you are not alert. And I thought interesting. There's a verse and ah, Jonathan, you're going to have to find it for me. I'm going to put you on assignment okay. It talks about alertness because the enemy is prowling. And so this is just a short little nugget for you. My, my pastor, one of my former pastors, used to say, I've got a green stamp bonus. It didn't cost you a thing. This is not related to anything we're talking about today, but just a green stamp. Bonus. Distraction. Avoid distraction.
S3: First Peter five eight be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
S2: And I'd say that I say that not to scare you. But that's a caution. That's a caution for. For me, for my kids, for you. That. Yeah. When you're out walking, don't have your head buried in your phone. Don't be fumbling around because you make yourself more vulnerable. But we are walking with Jesus. We are on mission and on purpose. So let's not have our head down. Let's not be fumbling around, distracted by other things. Shoulders back, head up. Eyes up on mission. Focused on what we're doing that offers its own form of protection against the enemy. I don't know that. Just maybe there was the reminder you needed today to put aside the things that have captured your interest and your focus, but aren't ultimately taking you closer to Jesus, which is what the aim is for every Christian to walk more closely with him, to become more like him each day, to be, uh, abide with him so that we can bear fruit sometimes to bear fruit and to abide. We can't be distracted. Put aside distractions today. Reminder for me, maybe a reminder for you, too.
S1: She was trying to earn her way to God, but God showed her she didn't have to. Ali is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: You know, sometimes you have these memories tucked away that you don't even realize are there until something triggers it. If I see at the grocery store a can of fruit cocktail that is going to remind me of my dad. My dad is 70 years old. Praise God he's still with us. He's had two major health crises over the last year and a half, but is recovering and doing and doing well. But that can of fruit cocktail. My dad, when I was a little girl, knew that I loved fruit cocktail. You know, it's got the the little fruit that's drenched in the syrup. It doesn't even resemble the original fruit. But it was really sweet and it tasted good. And so every once in a while, as I got older, high school, even into college, I would come home and I would find on my pillow a can of fruit cocktail. And that was my dad's little nod wink to say, hey, I love you. I'm thinking of you, I miss you. And to this day, fruit cocktail represents special moments with me and my dad, Chris Fabry, who's all about stories. You get that right. Those things that represent something so much more than what they are. Fruit cocktail to me is me and my dad.
S11: I can't believe what exploded in my head when you said that, Ali. All these things because I was thinking of, you know, me as a dad and my kids. Nine kids. But when you said that, I picture I've got this picture of myself and my father. My father was a farmer at heart. And so he had cattle and we lived on a farm. But he worked at a chemical plant, Union Carbide, in South Charleston, West Virginia. And so he he worked shift work. And he wore these work clothes, these kind of like Dickies work clothes. And there's a picture of me and him standing at the end of the walk next to the lamppost. It's almost a Narnia like thing with the hickory nut tree in the back. I can still feel it with his hand on my shoulder. And I, you know, when I when I feel a little untethered to the world, I think about that hand on the shoulder and how he would. He's a very physical touch person. So you could not get away from him without him touching your shoulder or giving you a hug or something along those lines. So every time we think of him, the that image comes to me, the image of him taking me to the feed store, you know, and, uh, the fellow at the feed store saying, who you got with you today, Robert? And he'd say, I got my helper. This is my helper, and I, I felt I felt loved, I felt included, I felt like I was important to him. You know? I'm his helper.
S2: Yeah. Chris Fabry joining us this morning, award winning author, radio personality. You know him from Chris Fabry Live, which you hear weekday afternoons here on Moody Radio. You recently took a trip to Oklahoma with your son. Tell me why that has been a significant memory builder for you.
S11: Well, my youngest son, uh, is doing the CrossFit thing, and there was this competition uh, he went to last year and, uh, did really well, but I didn't get to go because we've got animals and things on the at the house. And I said to my wife, you go. And some of the other kids went as well. And this year my son said, dad, I got to go to Oklahoma. You want to go with me? And I said, let's go. You know, we'll drive. And it was 13.5 hours straight through it. It was. Wow. It was it was just a wonderful thing because I liked to drive, I think, the best when I drive. And so we get over there and my mission is I'm just going to do whatever he needs to be done. You know, I'm just going to drive him to the the venue and drive him back. And, you know, he does all of his food and everything like that. But what happened to me was I was in the car we were driving to. He had to carb load, you know, he had to go and get some some protein and and some carbohydrates. And he was talking with his coach on the, on the phone. And the coach was saying, because you could see this on, on YouTube. The coach was saying, you know, I really I really loved what you did. He said, at the first of it, you I could see you were kind of struggling with this. And then you got to this place and, and then you just it just took over. You just became an athlete and you just did this thing. I'm very proud of you for not rushing at the front of this. And, you know, all of these words just came tumbling out of the of the coach. And I'm a bystander. I'm listening to this and I'm thinking, that's what I need in my life. I need somebody to tell me this kind of thing, the power of words to wash over you, to give you perspective. And that's the thing that I think that what God's Word does for me every day, it washes over me. It brings me back into connection with my father who does care for me, who says, this is my little helper. You know, this is the one I've I've showed my love to. I just when that happened and I was listening to the the phone call, it was like something sparked inside of me, uh, that that this is what I need every day.
S2: Yeah. And sometimes we can so easily get away from that and it can happen so quickly that drift or that slip back into, you know, a little bit of insecurity about your identity or whether or not you're actually loved or approved of. Man, it can happen quickly, even for the most seasoned believer.
S11: You know, what it happens to me is I get confident in my own self, or I feel like I got to do this on my own. And when you've lived with, you know, pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and you do it in your own energy and you give a nod to God, you know, it's like you're in control of things and you're sovereign over this. But I'll take care of this over here. It's very easy to get to the place where you're just doing your own strength. And you got. I come to those places pretty much every day where I say, you know what I'm submitting now? I'm surrendering here. I can't do this on my own. You've got to do it through me. And I want to. I want to live in your power.
S2: Such a great reminder, Chris. What's the latest thing you're you're working on? I know you're an accomplished author. You got the radio program in the afternoon. What's the fresh thing God's doing in you and through you.
S11: I have been ideating about a novel, about a story. But the hard thing is, last summer I took some time off. I didn't I wrote the the novel with Kendricks, you know, the last film, The Forge, that they did. And after that, I just said, I'm going to wait for what you want me to do and not just get on the treadmill and keep churning out, you know, another novel, because I need to. And that has been a really hard season for me because I'm, I'm at a I'm at a place where I'm not working on something right now. I'm just thinking about working on something, and I like to be working on something. And that gets back to, am I going to depend on him, or am I going to depend on what I can do in myself? Uh, so it's kind of a hard literary for me, you know, creative season as far as that goes. But it's I know something good is going to come out of it.
S2: Well, Chris Fabry, thank you so much for popping in. Always good to hear your voice here with us on the mornings you can hear Chris Fabry live weekday afternoons right here on Moody Radio.
S1: This is Curl and Crew on Moody Radio.
S2: This is Carl and crew. We are helping you take your next step in your walk with Jesus. That is our mission here on Moody Radio. And so everything that we do is toward that aim. I want to take you to the book of Mark. We've been looking at these different stories in Scripture where a dad is featured. This is a sweet story about a dad who has a request for his daughter. If you are a parent or a grandparent, an auntie and uncle. If you have kids in your life that you love, there may be nothing that troubles your heart more than when your kids are suffering, right?
S7: Oh, that.
S12: Is hands down.
S2: You feel whether it's physical suffering, whether it's emotional suffering, whatever it is, you feel it deeply. Young thunder, your little girl is one.
S3: One.
S2: When she has a cold or a fever. Yeah, you feel it right?
S3: There's nothing worse, nothing worse.
S2: Super di is on the. Moving towards the opposite end of the spectrum at a high school graduation. Just had a.
S12: High school graduate.
S2: You now have an 18 year old fresh graduate?
S12: Yes, I do. I do.
S2: And over the years, when he goes through it, you feel it, right?
S12: Deep, deeper than anything else in my life. Yeah, absolutely.
S2: And so there's a dad named Jairus who happens to be a ruler of the synagogue. And he has a little girl who is sick, very, very sick. And so he approaches Jesus with this desperate request. I want to read to you, Mark five, starting with verse. Uh, let me see. Let's go with verse 21 and when Jesus had crossed again in the boat to the other side, a great crowd gathered around him, and he was beside the sea. Then came one of the rulers of the synagogue, Jairus by name. And seeing him, he fell at his feet and implored him earnestly, saying, my little daughter is at the point of death. Come and lay your hands on her, so that she may be made well and live. And he went with him. Now a synagogue ruler at the time was responsible for some of the just basic oversight of what happened in the synagogue. It was a very well respected, a position highly regarded in many. Most of the synagogue rulers were Pharisees. That would be the category of most. Jairus, though, does something unexpected. He falling at the feet of Jesus would be a humbling thing to do for a synagogue ruler?
S3: Very much so.
S2: But he's desperate. And he believes that this man, Jesus, can save his daughter. So he has faith. And he makes a bold request. Interestingly, though, as he makes the request, there's someone else who has a need. So it goes on in this crowd. Let me start with verse 25. And there was a woman who had a discharge of blood for 12 years, and who had suffered much under many physicians and had spent all that she had and was not no better, but rather grew worse. She had heard the reports about Jesus, and came up behind him in the crowd and touched his garment. For she said, if I touch even his garments, I will be made well. And immediately the flow of blood dried up, and she felt in her body that she was healed of her disease. So Jesus performs a miracle right there as Jairus is waiting to hear if Jesus is going to do something for his little girl. They had already started toward his house. When this woman comes up and interrupts interrupts what Jesus was about to do. But he stops for her and he heals her and he looks at her. It's this whole scene that plays out where he asks who touched me? And his disciples are like, there's people all around you. Like there's a crowd here. What do you mean? Who touched me? But he singles out this woman in the crowd, and he says to her daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your disease. So I know you love, love, love this story.
S12: I get teary eyed that that is one of my most favorite phenomenal stories. Why? And I think just understanding a little bit, even of the years of pain and illness that she did go through. But the fact that even if I could just and that was my life, that's part of my testimony. If I could just touch the hem, you know. So tired and just reaching out all she just she had the faith that if I could just touch that hem and I just picture her hand reaching and the fact that he felt her, she was seen. She was known. She was loved. But then he turns to her and from his heart, his daughter. You have. I'm like, whoa, that just overwhelms me.
S2: So she received her physical healing. But also in that moment there was a spiritual healing because he says, your faith has made you well. And now he identifies her as daughter. Yes. Right. Yes. So you have this great, great news. He calls her daughter. But what about Jairus daughter?
S3: Yeah.
S2: So verse 35 goes back to talking about her while he was still speaking. There came from the ruler's house, some who said your daughter is dead. That's the news that Jairus got after witnessing the miracle of hearing your daughter. Daughter? Your faith has made you well. Jairus gets the news. Your daughter is dead. Why trouble the teacher any further? But overhearing what they said, Jesus said to the ruler of the synagogue, do not fear, only believe. And he allowed no one to follow him except Peter and James, and John the brother of James. So the report, the worst possible news Jairus could get pretty definitive, right? But Jesus immediately jumps in to intercept the impact of those words and tells Jairus, do not fear, only believe. Jairus has just witnessed this healing. Yeah, for the woman that was called daughter. So maybe Jesus could do something for his daughter too. Maybe it wasn't too late. Of course it wasn't too late. This is Jesus we're talking about. Finish the story coming up.
S1: You're listening to Curl and Crew on Moody Radio.
S2: This synagogue ruler, Jairus, had just gotten the worst possible news, as he had made his way to Jesus and desperately made a request. Please, please, please heal my daughter. It says, he implored him earnestly. At least that's in the English Standard Version. This was a desperate prayer being prayed. But while he was kind of waiting to see what Jesus was going to do, as they were even heading toward the house, he was interrupted. Jesus was interrupted by another, yet another desperate need. This time no words were spoken. It was just the the pull on the hem of a garment of a woman who'd for 12 years had an issue of blood. So you have a woman who'd been suffering physically for 12 years, and then there's a 12 year old girl who needs healing, too. So the report comes. Someone comes from the ruler's house to tell the ruler your daughter is dead. Why trouble the teacher any further? Jesus shuts it down immediately. He overhears the report and he says, do not fear, only believe. So then they resume their journey to the house. And he says he allowed no one to follow him except for Peter and James, and John, the brother of James. So you've got the dad, Jairus, and then Jesus's inner circle. Those are the only ones permitted to take this journey where Jesus is about to perform a miracle. He's about to raise a little girl from the dead. But he gets to the house and there are people weeping and wailing and making all of this commotion, and some of them probably friends and family who are genuinely sorrowful, sorrowful. Some of them kind of professional mourners. This is just what they did. And we know that not all of them were genuine in their grief. Because when Jesus says, why are you making a commotion and weeping? The child is not dead, but sleeping. They go from weeping and wailing to laughing. That's a that is a wide that's a really quick, quick turnaround.
S12: Disturbing, almost.
S2: It is. And I've always been sort of disturbed by that detail. Like, wait, they were weeping and wailing and all of a sudden Jesus tell them tells him the child's not dead, but only sleeping. And they laugh like.
S12: Ooh.
S3: Not the best of the best. I don't think were hired in this situation.
S12: Please leave my home. They laugh because.
S2: Clearly in their mind, Jesus doesn't get it. He's not in touch with reality. So no faith there. Jesus is telling them that she's not dead. She's only sleeping now, for in the physical sense, she was dead. Yeah, so no doubt about that. When Jesus goes and heals her, he raises her from the dead. So I'll go on in this story. So he goes and he puts them all out. He puts everybody out except the child's father and mother, and then his little inner circle. And he goes to the room where this little girl is. He takes her by the hand and he says to her, Talitha cumi, which means, little girl, I say to you, arise. Verse 42 out of Mark five. And immediately the girl got up and began walking, for she was 12 years of age, and they were immediately overcome with amazement. And he strictly, strictly charged them that no one should know this, and told them to give her something to eat. He does it so casually. Little girl, get up.
S12: And the thing is the power of the touch again. You have the woman touching the hem. But in this he didn't have to take her hand. But that's in scripture. He took her hand. He didn't have to. It's a.
S2: Beautiful detail.
S12: Very beautiful detail. I love that very beautiful detail. Again, the concept of touch and the faith.
S2: And you were not to touch dead bodies. I mean, that was so defiling.
S3: Yeah. Make you ceremonially unclean.
S2: But Jesus touches this little girl. Yeah. And then casually raises her from the dead, just as casually and easily as he healed the woman who'd been bleeding for 12 years.
S12: And she was defiled, and she was not to be touched. And she. You know what I'm saying? And again, the touch of the hem.
S2: And you, you look at the the father, the desperate prayer of the father who implored earnestly, Jesus, heal my daughter. You know, you think about the desperate prayers and anytime you read Scripture. And I've been learning this as of late with the Bible study plan that I'm that I'm doing. Always look for what it tells you about God. Maybe that seems obvious, but for me, it's been kind of revolutionary that sometimes you can get caught up in the details of a story. You can start doing a deep dive on Jairus in the synagogue ruler. And yeah, there are things to be taken from, I guess, his faith. And. But look for God. What does this tell you about him? And the couple of really big things won the victory over death. That death never gets the final word right. Ever, never, ever gets the final word. And obviously, we don't get to see a lot of people raised from the dead.
S12: No, no.
S2: But we know that death does not have the final word because we know that Jesus, when he went to the cross, he defeated death. We will spend eternity more alive than we've ever been. Yeah, right. A couple of other things Jesus responds to faith. He responded to the faith of the woman. He responded to the faith of Jairus. And do you know what? He put out? Unbelief. In both cases, when the people came and said, why trouble any further? Those people didn't get to take that trip to see the miracle. Yeah. The people who were weeping and wailing and then laughing when Jesus suggested, not just suggested when Jesus made a declaration, she's not dead, she's only asleep. Those people didn't get to see the miracle either. Why? No faith. The people who had faith to believe Jesus can heal. This situation is desperate. I have no answers. There's no place else to turn but Jesus. I believe you can do something here. That kind of faith. Those were the people who got to see the miracle.
S12: And I want to be that person.
S2: I want to.
S12: Be.
S2: The person who has the faith to see the miracle. Who, when everyone else is weeping and wailing and saying, there's no hope here. I want to be the one who says confidently, nope, there's always hope. Always because of the God we serve. There's always hope. The story in Mark five. Check it out. It'll strengthen your faith today and remind you don't lose hope. No. We serve the God of the impossible.