S1: Coming to you from the Morning Star Mission sponsored studio. This is Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Unmerited favor. Unlimited power. The grace of God. Sometimes we get the first part of that one. That's how you pass seminary courses.
S3: Unmerited favor.
S2: Yeah, but. But the aspect of grace that we often forget is this unparalleled, unimaginable power likened unto the raising of Christ from the dead. It's an amazing thing, God's grace. It's his grace. Alone, guys. That's it. Um, as we're steaming towards Mother's Day, I've had a passion this week to do something very different. And we're going to flip this around for Father's Day as well. But if you think about women and the role of men to be initiating God word in the context of marriage providing men, you kind of got to unwind this thing because for I think a lot of us, we go, all right, what's the. Give me the. Give me the five high points of what a man is to do to love a woman. Well, right. I mean, it's easy to go to that one, but what if the bigger issue here is we got to unwind ourselves from some stuff, and we've seen that in our lives, right, Ali?
S3: Yeah. And I think this is obviously the direct application would be the context of marriage. But you think about how much our society needs, needs healthy, strong, initiating men. So even if you're a single woman, you may not have a direct relationship with a man right now. And even if you never do, we need strong men.
S2: Yeah. Yes. And you have an indirect relationship insomuch as these men populate. Let's just take a local church. These men populated church. So the more we can get men being men, let's just break it down really simply here. That's. That's one of the most profound things you're going to experience. Godly men. but to become that man that God wants us to be. Sometimes before we go into the what we're standing for, we've got to unwind something that we need to be standing against. And I've been intrigued. And I was up early this morning, and this was actually two days ago. I first kind of hit on this again in first Timothy chapter six. You get this great call on a man's life. But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Well, here's the point before you go on to pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness, which are all phenomenal attributes for men. That's in verse 11 of first Timothy six. You got to look and go. Hold it. What are we fleeing? That's my point. Sometimes before you take the three steps to great manhood, you got to unwind the stuff that got our turkey in a Squisher.
S3: Got to flee some things.
S2: You got to flee some stuff. And the context of this passage is amazing because it talks about godliness with contentment is great gain. And then we find this famous passage for the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs. Isn't that fascinating? The unwinding, the fleeing that needs to be done is not a letting. And I'm going to put it in brass tacks terms here. Don't let the American dream nudge out God's vision for your life. Man, I get chills just thinking about that. The American Dream is awesome, but it is minuscule compared to God's vision for your life. And if your dream ends with the American dream, and I'm just putting that in air quotes here, it's the American dream is really predicated upon getting stuff. And he who dies with the most toys wins. Right. I mean, come on.
S3: Right. And I mean, and having having enough being able to provide for a family, having owning your own home, having the ability to take vacations, all of that's kind of tied into our own sense of autonomy. Comfort?
S2: Yes. And those are all. There's autonomy, comfort, independence. Those are all great virtues when it gets tangled with. Now, I'm starting to love this stuff more than the contentment that's found in God. Yeah. That gets us in a problem.
S4: Dangerous. It's a good thing that God's given us that can get out of control.
S2: Yeah, exactly. We take good stuff from God and turn it into picking idols.
S4: All the time.
S2: So how are we going to unwind this? Oh, boy. Have we got a treat for you coming up. I mean, one of my faves. I can't wait to hug this guy soon. Doctor Crawford Loritts is going to be with us. We're going to talk about unwinding this. Why? Because to pursue manhood. There's some stuff we got to flee. Hang on. Boom crew.
S1: A basketball mom who's mastered the dad joke. Ali is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: But as for you, O man of God, Paul talking to Timothy, flee these things if you leave that out. We got a problem here because it goes into pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness, fight the good fight of faith, take hold of eternal life. It's this vision for this incredible life in Christ. But we can't forget. Flee these things. And you ask, what are these things? Well, it's all linked around the love of money. He says, godliness with contentment is great gain, but the love of money is the root of all evil. And this is what we need to unwind. I think some guys get stuck as we're speaking right now. Some guys are stuck, unable to take hold of this call on our life to be godly men and therefore loving the women around us. And as we're steaming towards Mother's Day, being the husbands that our wives need because subtly, the American Dream has become an idol. And I love the American Dream until we worship it. What do you say, Crawford? Am I crazy?
S5: No, Carl, you're not crazy at all. If you're crazy, then so am I. You know the statement in verse 11. But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Easy for us to slip over to the identity statement there. The identity statement. Oh, man of God, really sets you up to be able to flee these things. In other words, what brings value to you is God. And what brings value to your life is God, and these other things are surrogate Get statements of your identity. You don't need these things to make you valuable in the sight of God. So you bring stability to your moment in history. You know, I mean, as we read these texts and we skip over these obvious statements that are there.
S3: Doctor Crawford Loritts our guest right now, doctor Loritts, I was on a zoom call last night, and we it was a training call, and there was a young man he shared that the thing that sometimes trips him up the most. He said, you know, I grew up without much. There was a lot of lack. And he said, so one of the things that I feel like holds me back now is that I have such a need to try to control. I want to make sure I'm not in lack anymore. I have my budget, and sometimes that keeps me from maybe stepping out to do what God's called me to do. Men are often hardwired with this desire to be, to be stable, to be self-sufficient, particularly if they want to pursue a young woman. How do you balance this? Because that's an honorable desire. I want to be a good provider. I don't want to bring somebody else into into my life when I when I don't feel like I'm stable. But at the same time, this desire to have money can become in itself an idol. How do you balance that?
S5: Yeah. You know, you're asking. That's a that is the question, isn't it? I to have a desire to to take care of your family, uh, to even have extra things and to be able to enjoy life. God gives us all these things to enjoy and to discipline yourself, to move toward those goals. That is not sinful and wrong. What is sinful and wrong when you make the resource the source? In other words, your sources are sources. God. Uh. And with or without it, I'm going to be okay. Which means that each step along the way. Yes, I work hard. Yes, I have these goals. No, I don't want to, um, be what I used to be in terms of poverty in this kind of thing. If the Lord will help me to do something about that. But I have to constantly remember whether or not those dreams get translated into reality. I'm not. I'm more than okay. My source of identity and strength is found in him. It's when you make these things an identity statement. It's when you make these things, uh, terminal goals. And it's when you make these things, uh, expressions of pride and arrogance and and you become dismissive of other people. That's when they're idols.
S2: Love it. Doctor Crawford Loritts our guest right now. When we get back here, Crawford, I want you to unpack a greater vision for pursuing righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. These attributes are something that a woman finds frankly irresistible. I'm convinced of that. So how do we capture that vision? Hold on to it so that the love of money doesn't get sucked into this idolatry. More with Doctor Crawford Loritts straight ahead.
S1: You can take him out of Alaska, but you can't take Alaska out of him. Carl is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: As we steam towards Mother's Day. It gives us a golden opportunity and the opportunity to say, how do we bless moms, women, wives, how to men be men? Because the irresistible men, clearly righteous, godly, full of faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. Oh, Nelly, that's irresistible. It really is. And what we find here in Paul speaking to Timothy, he says, listen, I want you to pursue these things, but you got to flee this stuff. And in order to flee this stuff, which is the love of money, which is the root of all evil. And by the way, we can say this is not just reserved for wealthy people. You can have very little means and still have your heart tangled around the love of money. We know that I've done that as a young man. We can all do it. But the question is, how do we get on to this greater life? We need a vision for it. Doctor Crawford loritts with us here this morning. Crawford, it seems that we need to cast this holy grandeur of a vision for what can be if we're going to get ourselves kind of untangled from what is holding us back. What do you say?
S5: I think you're absolutely right. I think you know, Carl, the way to approach all of this is to make up our minds, to live in the presence of God and cultivate our own communion with God. And you've got you've got to decide to do that. You've got to decide to do that. What we pursue becomes the stuff that owns us. And so if I'm pursuing the heart of God and I'm on a daily basis spending time alone in his word, and it doesn't just become a point of reference, it becomes a context of my life. And that's a major decision you have to make. There are a lot of Christians who are believers, and but we assign ourselves a constant struggle because we won't make up our minds that Jesus is going to be everything to me in a very practical way. That means I'm going to apply. And by God's grace and the power of the Holy Spirit, I'm going to apply the truth of God's Word. That truth is not given just to motivate my thinking and kind of like stir up my emotions, but to transform my life.
S2: Yes.
S5: You know it. You know this, Carl. You've written a marvelous book about this. It's the choices and decisions we make. Your line when you're born, you look like your parents. But when you die, you look like your decisions. And it's making the decisions, you know. Contentment is not something that just kind of like out of the air involuntarily cascades over us. Contentment is a decision. Contentment is a choice. I choose Karen, and I will be married 54 years here in a couple of weeks. And but every day of our married life, I we said I do. May 22nd, 1971. But every day of our married life, we have to decide that if she decides that she is a one man woman and I decide that I am a one woman man, and everything in my life is determined by that. And so it is with our walk and relationship with God. We can't keep bouncing back between these, you know, competing identities. It's kind of like what Joshua said to the children of Israel in the valley of Shechem says, okay, choose this day. Who are you going to serve?
S2: Yeah. That's right.
S3: Doctor Crawford Loritts our guest this morning. Doctor, I know that one of your big passions is to help raise up the next generation of Christian leaders. For so many men, they've not seen this modeled out. I heard someone yesterday say I didn't have a blueprint for this. I didn't know what it looked like to be a good dad, a good husband. And that's the cry of the heart of many men, is that they're not going to maybe say it, but they desperately need another man to come alongside to speak into their lives. How can men pursue that when maybe it goes against the grain of everything they've ever known to say, hey, I need some help here.
S5: You know, the way you phrase that question, you've answered it. The truth of the matter is, no, we didn't have a blueprint. We didn't have maybe an incarnational blueprint, meaning a father that did it, another man that did it. But we do have a blueprint. We do have a blueprint. It's found in 66 books of the Bible. We do have a blueprint. It's found in the Holy Spirit that lives inside of our hearts and lives. We do have a blueprint. It's found in other men that we need to invite into our lives as a man, and submit ourselves to them at a certain point. This sounds cold, and I don't mean for it to sound cold, but at a certain point, we've got to stop grieving our loss to the point in which it hinders us from creating our future. Uh, you you have to say to yourself, all of us are deficient. All of us are. All of us have various deficits, and all of us have. And I'm using air quotes here have reasons not to keep moving and stumbling forward. But the clock is ticking. And, uh, you know, Father Time is undefeated, and we've got to sit down and say to ourselves, okay, this is what I don't have, but this is what I do have. Amen. Okay. What can I do to press into the heart of God and really make the declarative statement. Like David said, when my mother and father forsake me, then the Lord will take me up, and then I need to become an aggressive, an aggressive follower, meaning, you know, be humble enough to go to somebody that you admire and say, hey, look, I like to I like to spend some time with you, man, and maybe, maybe have a cup of coffee with you at once in a while. And there's some empty spots in my life that I think I can learn from you and aggressively move toward what you can get. And I think as older men, maybe the guys that are listening right now, you know, we need to make ourselves available to some of the men that we see who are perhaps struggling and have have these spots in their lives and these deficits and move toward them. You know, the answers are all around us. The question is, will I take the initiative to get what I need and God will help us. I mean, the book is transformative, right? And so that that's what I say to younger guys all the time.
S1: She's a choreographer extraordinaire and everything is Greek to her. Super die is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Okay, we got mom. Days are steaming toward here. And you know what? Sometimes the best advice comes from moms.
S3: Usually in a funny package, though. Have you ever noticed that? Like that mom advice?
S2: What do you mean.
S3: Maybe? Maybe it was just my mom. She always had a way of saying things that had like, a little bit of a twist to it, and they kind of became sort of the mom isms. So there was advice embedded in there. But I.
S2: Do this.
S3: Or like she would always tell us, um, you know, her the advice would have been find ways to entertain yourself. Like you don't need to have other people. You don't need to have a TV. But. But how it came out was if you're bored, do a cartwheel. That was her thing. She said it all the time. We'd say, mom, I'm bored, I need bored. Do a cartwheel. And we knew it was mom telling us find ways to entertain yourself, which was great advice, but it always came with a little twist.
S6: That's awesome.
S3: We'd love to hear from you this morning. What's the best advice? You could have had a twist to it, but it was good, solid mom advice and you still hear it ringing in your ears today. 800 555 7898 (800) 555-7898.
S2: Yeah. We're taking calls on this one. What's the best advice mama gave you? It's got to be music for this one. Young Thunder.
S4: I'm sure I can find something.
S2: Yeah. You got.
S3: To be days like.
S6: This. Mama said there'd be days like this. There'd be days. That's a good one I like it.
S2: By the way, does that song go on to give the solution? Mama said get your turkey out of the squisher by doing this. And that does.
S6: It. Does it? I don't think so.
S3: Look up the lyrics because I don't know much past. Mama said there'd.
S6: Be days.
S3: Like this. Mama said.
S6: And that's all I said. Mama said oh too funny.
S2: Find out is there. Is there a solution in that lyrics. Or is it just said that mama said there'd be days like this? Because that's not the best advice. I mean, there's got to be better advice than that.
S6: Mama said.
S2: What best advice your mom gave you while there searching on this one, guys? 855 five 7898. Time to light up phone lines. We're taking calls on this one. Best advice your mom gave you? 805 five, five 7898. Call right now. I'm going to stay here until these phone lines start lighting up. Mama said what? Best advice? 800 555, 78, 98. Got to cheer for mom. Got to cheer for mama.
S3: Carl, did your mom's best advice have a little bit of an Alaska twist to it. I'm curious.
S7: I would think.
S6: Yeah. Well.
S2: I mean, just given the temperatures. Yeah. I mean, it was like, you know, because it's it's kind of a universal thing that children do not put on the proper clothing for the situation.
S6: That's true.
S4: That's true.
S2: Yeah. I mean, it's what's funny is kids get it wrong on both sides because you lived in when I lived in Tempe, Arizona when I was in sixth grade and dad's going to Arizona State University, I, I would it was really hip. I think bell bottom corduroys were coming in style and it's like 103 out and mom's like, what are you doing with the corduroys on? Those are incredibly hot. No, I'm not, I'm not, I'm not. It's not overheating me, mom, I promise you. Well, it was and mom knew it.
S6: You got.
S3: But she's got to fight for the fact that you fought to wear them. And then you got to pretend you're not exactly right.
S2: And the same is true in cold weather. Put on your coat, kid. No, it's not I'm fine.
S6: I'm good.
S2: Don't wear coats. What's what? What's the best advice your mom gave you? 805, five five, 78, 98 805 five, five, 78, 98.
S6: Take it away.
S3: Got some good advice coming in from mom. Text message. Mom said read the entire recipe first. That's a good one. My grandmother used to say if I was bored, stand on my head and spit out quarters. What? Oh, okay, I get it. If I was bored, she would say, do you want me to stand on my head and spit out quarters as if to say, like I'm supposed to entertain you? I think your grandma may have known. My mom, 7567, says on a rainy day, my my mom always told us to make our own sunshine.
S2: Oh, no, I like that.
S6: That's a good.
S2: Question. Is how do you do that?
S3: I don't know, but it sounds really good.
S6: It sounds good.
S2: Give us a call right now. Light em up. What's the best advice your mama gave you? 805. Five. Five, 78. 98. Eight. 805. Five. Five. 78. 98. Mama said there'd be days. Did mama give more advice? That's the question.
S1: He was sharing the gospel on the radio. And then he got saved. Young thunders in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Mama said there'd be days like this. There'd be days like this. My mama said.
S4: Mama said, mama said.
S2: Thank you. I was just waiting for someone to grab that. We gotta grab it, man.
S8: Mama said, mama said. Young thunder coming through.
S2: You gotta put a little falsetto to it, okay?
S4: You wanna try again?
S3: Oh, wow. Here we go.
S4: All right.
S2: Mama said there'd be days like this. There'd be days like this. My mama said.
S4: Mama said, mama said.
S3: Is that the Shirelles that sing that?
S7: Yes, yes.
S3: Okay. Young thunder.
S2: But. But covered.
S7: By. Sing it.
S2: But covered by the train wrecks.
S8: Rex.
S2: All right. Getting your feedback here today. What do you got, Allie.
S3: Lots of feedback. The mom advice has a little always has a little twist. Mom said to do something useful. My mom said things are never black and white. They're always shades of gray. My mom said to treat others as you wish to be treated. I like this one. My mom said, don't hang with wolves or you will learn how to howl.
S4: Ooh, I like it. That's fun.
S3: I think that's a version of the bad company corrupts good morals.
S4: Yes.
S8: That's funny.
S3: You might learn how to howl. Let's go to the phones. Karen. First time caller from Illinois. Karen, did your mom give some memorable advice?
S9: Oh, yeah. She gave us a life. Was like a bouquet of beautiful roses. But it comes with many thorns.
S3: Yeah.
S8: Yeah.
S2: You know what? That's not bad. That's not a bad word.
S4: I like it. Life is beautiful, but it's also hard.
S2: Yeah. So carry the bouquet with Industrial gloves. There are thorns. Isn't that funny? Some of the most beautiful flowers got these things that are flat. Ding! You, man. All right, let's keep going here. Ali, we got more. We got a lot of calls coming.
S3: Tammy. First time caller from Illinois. Give me your mom advice.
S10: Um, my mother said to always pray no matter what and to trust God.
S3: That is great advice.
S2: Advice, mom.
S3: Great advice.
S2: Good advice. Let's keep it cooking. Ali.
S3: Joanne from Illinois. Give it to us.
S11: Uh. Good morning. Um, my mom would say, don't be too quick to say no to your kids, but if you have to say no, stick with it.
S7: Ooh.
S8: Ooh.
S2: Yeah, that is some good.
S8: That's good parenting advice.
S2: That is phenomenal. Good stuff. What do you say? 800 555 7898. Best advice your mom gave you? 800 555 7898. Chance for you to cheer for mom Kevin in Illinois. What do you say, Kev?
S12: Well, my brothers and sisters would pick on me. Mom would say, uh, when they're picking on you, they're leaving somebody else alone. Kind of like, suck it up, buttercup. And, you know, I tied that to John. Uh, the the the scripture that, uh, to pick up your cross and deny yourself, you know, because that's what happened when they would pick on me, I'd feel like they're picking on me. She said, well, they're picking on you. They're leaving somebody else alone.
S2: I love that, actually. That's kind of cool. It means somebody else has got a pass. That's a perspective and a half. Suck it up, buttercup. I don't know if that's the best modern day version of Take Up Your Cross, but it's it's in there somewhere. I love this man. Give us a call right now. What do you say? We got a question for you this morning.
S3: Give us your best mom advice. You still hear mom saying this? Whether she's with you or she's gone on. Tell us that mom advice you still remember 800 555 7898.
S13: Mama said there'll be days like this. There'll be days like this. Mama said. She said, mama said, mama said. There'll be days like this. There'll be days like this. My mama said, mama said.
S4: I kind of sound like that.
S13: Just like everything was going fine.
S2: How about those background vocals?
S4: It's good.
S13: Ooh. Almost lost my mind. Mama said, boy, he.
S2: Got a lot paid a lot of cheddar for.
S8: Repeating.
S2: The same phrase over and over again.
S4: And you know what? It's a classic. Classic? That's the crazy.
S2: Big time.
S13: Classic.
S2: It's pretty good. Toe tapper getting a lot of feedback here. This one's a good one. I love this. Oh where did it go? Mom advice.
S4: Oh, is it the one you were telling me about?
S8: Yeah.
S2: Love is blind, but the neighbors aren't.
S4: What does that mean?
S2: Okay. That is a great. That is a great mom advice right there.
S8: Okay, that is super.
S3: What does it mean?
S2: Well, it means that you might be blinded by love, but then, in other words, other folks can see.
S3: What you can't see.
S2: What you can't.
S8: See.
S4: Ah.
S8: Love is blind, but.
S2: Your neighbors.
S8: Aren't. You know what I'm.
S3: Seeing from a lot of this mom advice is that it's like you got to kind of extract sometimes the.
S4: What do you mean by that?
S3: Extract what? What they really meant when you worry, you don't trust. When you trust, you don't worry. I like that mom advice. Let's see. When I became a mom, my mom said over the years, small children, small problems, bigger children, bigger problems. Yeah, I think there's some truth to that.
S2: There's some truth to that.
S3: You'll understand when you get older. Yeah. That's a that's some mom advice. Oh, this is awesome. 2122 my mom used to always say every morning, this is a reminder. This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it. This person says, I think about it every time I leave the house.
S8: Oh.
S4: You know something I was so grateful for when I started college, I really missed home. I really missed seeing my parents, and I called.
S8: Home.
S4: Sick. I got home sick, and so I called my mom, you know, like a week in. And we were just talking and catching up, and I said, you know, I'm thinking I might come home, uh, and see you guys for the weekend. And she said, no, you're not. And I said, what do you mean? And she said, you have to stay there for three months. You can't come home. And I said, why can't I come home? And she said, because if you come home, you're going to start wanting to come home every weekend and you're not going to make any friends. She said you need to stay there and hang out with some people on the weekend and make some friends. And and I got really connected with the people on my dorm floor because my mom wouldn't let me come home. I was grateful for that.
S2: That's actually really good, mom.
S4: And yeah, she was great.
S2: That is good, mom. And she knew you. She knew you?
S8: Yeah.
S2: Yeah. You're the. You're the youngest of four bros, right?
S4: Yep. Youngest of four. And so, you know, she missed me, too, but she.
S2: Yeah, of course she did. She missed you. But she knew what was better for you. She know you can't come home.
S4: She said you can't come home.
S8: Oh, man.
S2: That is hilarious. Eddie. First time caller in Illinois. What do you say, Eddie?
S14: How's it going? How's it going? Good morning. Yeah, so my mom would always tell us, make sure that you have a backbone and you always stick up for yourself, no matter what. No matter what the situation is, you got to make sure you do that, or else everybody's going to go ahead and try to, you know, tumble over you.
S8: Yeah. You know.
S2: What? There's some truth to that. And I mean, you can do that in a weird and dysfunctional way, but when you do it in the right way and just have and that's commonly called today boundaries, where it's not like somebody's going to walk over the top of me. That's some good stuff. Best advice you ever got, um, Ali from your mama?
S3: You know one thing. My mom, like I said, she always had advice with a twist, but she would always try to pin us down when we would come home and say things like, well, everybody's fill in the blank. Or they said, and she always say, who? Who are they? Who is? Who are they?
S8: I love that.
S3: And so what I took from it, she always tried to pin down that this idea that we had that everybody was talking about something or everybody. She would try to get us to isolate and then it's like, well, maybe I had one name if I could actually. Well, actually it was, it was, it was Susie. Okay. And it sort of she took the power out of this idea that everybody or they were doing something and therefore my in in I should be influenced some way by the masses.
S8: Yeah.
S2: Because feelings are valid, but they are often incorrect.
S3: Yes.
S2: And we need to take your mom's advice now. And it manifests itself in a lot of ways. I'm feeling this. I'm feeling that. Oh, because that this this situation. What what what's really going on here? Just boil it down.
S3: What are they going to think?
S2: Yeah, yeah, really good stuff. My mom's best advice was I came home to Alaska from Multnomah Bible College and I had with me the original Facebook. Facebook used to be just a list of names and pictures. And I showed her the girl that I was really interested in. My mom looked at that picture and she looked at me and she said, you better not mess this up because this is the girl that you need to marry.
S4: I love.
S2: It. And I did. And her name's Jubes.
S3: Oh, I love it.
S2: Yeah. Good advice. Advice?
S1: You're listening to Curl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: We're asking you, what did your mom say? We got two of them back to back that are almost identical. Wait until your father gets home. Those are dreaded words. My mom didn't threaten me with it. It was a promise. It was a promise. And I remember, man, I'm sitting in my bedroom one day and I'm hearing dad get the debrief from mom on something.
S4: This is the worst.
S2: And it's the worst because you hear.
S4: Oh.
S7: And then.
S2: And then everything shut down. Yeah. Then the doorknob goes on my door.
S4: Oh, no.
S2: Turns the slow turn. I think dad did that for dramatic purpose.
S4: Or you hear the shake of the footsteps up the staircase or something like that, and you're like, oh, no, those are coming to me.
S2: Paralyze you with fear. Then my dad did the worst thing ever. Whenever he punished me, he usually had tears in his eyes. Which is a great dad, by the way.
S4: He's a good dad.
S2: And one time, he, uh, he had to give me a swat. I had it coming. I'm not even going to tell you what I did. It was not good. And, uh, he pulled out the line. He was famous for this. This hurts me. Carl, he didn't say more than it hurts you because he knew that it hurt. He said, this hurts me to have to do this because I love you, but you can't. You can't keep doing this nonsense. Boy, did I get the lesson on that one. That day was a rough day. Ouch. But it was good. Dad loved me. Sometimes your parents said something, and I mean take it to the bank. They said it. What was it? We're getting so much feedback here, Alan.
S3: Yeah. Don't make me stop this car. Do you want some cheese with that whine?
S7: Oh, good. That's good.
S3: Lots of. Wait until your father gets home. Let's see. You will eat it before you wait. You will eat it before you. Before it eats you. What?
S2: You will eat it before it eats you.
S3: Leftover food. You know.
S7: Mom's.
S2: Interesting.
S7: Or something before it takes over you.
S3: Maybe. I feel like a lot of the mom advice. You got to kind of just extract the good out of it, because sometimes it got a little wild. Let's go to Ellie. First time caller from Chicago. What did your mom always say?
S15: She said, um, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it.
S3: It's good advice.
S7: I feel like her inflection. Don't say it. Don't say it.
S4: That's a good.
S7: One. That's good.
S2: Yeah. I mean, there's good ones, man. Give us a call 800 555, 7898. What was your. You can take it to the bank. Mama was going to say this was usually in pressure packed situations.
S7: It's predictable.
S2: 805 five five 7898. Come in from far and wide. We're taking your calls. Would your mom say take it to the bank? What did she say?
S3: Let's go to calm. Calling in from Illinois. What's that thing your mom always said?
S10: Mom always said to me.
S16: God doesn't like ugly. And that was when we were misbehaving, and it would just Shake us in our core and, you know, cause reflection at that time. Of course.
S2: God doesn't like ugly.
S3: I definitely heard that one. Calm. That one.
S2: Oh that's great, Brent in Chicago. What do you say, Brent?
S17: My mom always told my sister and I there's always consequence to sin. Maybe not now, maybe later.
S2: You know what?
S17: That's a good.
S2: That's a good mom, man. And if you can stoop down to their level, look them square in the eye and say it. That's not bad. That's good. All right, let's keep cooking here.
S3: Let's go to Christian from Chicago. Go ahead. Give it to us. What did mom always say?
S18: You know, whenever I would complain about not being able to do something, and I'd say I can't. She'd say, I can't. Never tried. And boy, does that roll around in my head.
S2: Oh that's good.
S7: I can't never try.
S4: That's a great one.
S2: I love it. Uh, Rose, what do you say, Rose?
S10: My mom always said you made your bed. Now you lay in it.
S2: You're calling it from North Carolina, so you got a little beautiful accent, at least to our ears on that one. And that is true. You make your bed, you lay in it. Yeah. These things are classic, man. They really are. They got etched in the in the in the minds and mouths of moms all the time. What do you got?
S3: How about this one? Uh, this person added dinner was always at five. So mom used to say, I'm not running a cafeteria. That's often said if there's, like, requests for different foods. So it could also be interpreted as I'm not running a diner. Any attempt to have a variation on the meal that's presented before you usually got abomasum?
S4: So good.
S2: Eleanor, Illinois. What do you say, Eleanor? What'd your mom say?
S19: Oh, when we were kids, we'd go, but, mom, it never happened before. War. And she'd say, that's what the farmer said when the cow died.
S7: What? I would lose it. I would absolutely lose it if my mother said that to me. Wow.
S20: This is good. This is good.
S2: Arnett Nelson. Chicago, Illinois. What do you say?
S16: Um, I. My mom used to say, don't play with me. I'm not one of your little friends.
S7: Yes. Okay.
S3: I love this so much because the first time I've heard myself say that exact phrase to my kids, I said, I'm becoming my mom. I just said, I'm not one of your little friends.
S16: Your little friends?
S7: Exactly.
S2: Oh my goodness.
S3: Oh that's funny.
S2: Oh my goodness, Paulette in Florida. What do you say, Paulette?
S10: My mom would when she gave us a whooping and we kept crying. She would say, keep on crying. I'll give you something to cry about.
S3: That one was a common one.
S7: Very common.
S3: I feel like that one. I want to to never happen again.
S7: Anyone feel that with me?
S3: I feel like let's let's let's retire that one because.
S2: I think that's in the category. Can we do a little better?
S3: Yeah, we can, we can we can do better than that. Thanks.
S2: Pauletta flows out of just flows out of frustration. That's all it is. Oh my goodness. We've got more text messages than you can shake a stick at.
S3: Oh if you're doing something, do it the right. Do it right the first time.
S2: Yeah I mean didn't we all hear that one, guys?
S7: Hands down.
S3: Oh, this is a good one. In the winter time, my mom used to say, dress sanely, not vainly.
S7: Oh, I.
S2: Love.
S7: That. I gotta save that one. That's good.
S3: Not vainly.
S2: It's got a nice little rhyme to it.
S7: Awesome. Well done. Mom.
S3: Kindness doesn't cost you anything.
S7: Yeah.
S3: Tell me who you're hanging with and I'll tell you who you are.
S2: Ooh, those are zingers.
S7: That's another good.
S4: One. I love it, all right.
S2: I am pinning you down. What do you say to your kids? If they were here, what would they say? Mom always says.
S3: Well, one of the things I used to do when they were little is I. They. If they did something nice, I would say you just blessed my socks off. And I would take off my socks and I would throw them at the ceiling, and I would do it very dramatically, or I would say nothing and I would.
S7: Just throw.
S3: The socks.
S7: That's awesome. Yep.
S1: It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: We're taking your comments and calls 800 555 7898. What's the best advice you ever got from mom Jenny in Illinois? First time caller. What do you say, Jenny?
S19: Um, my mom would always say to me, this too shall pass.
S2: Yeah, boy, I think I think your mom and my mom and everyone else's mom were reading out of the same book.
S4: So was there a book alley? Is there a book, Diana? A book?
S2: Is there a mom book?
S7: It's a secret book. Okay.
S4: Seems like it.
S2: Uh, Jerry in Illinois. What do you say, Jerry? What'd your mama say? Best advice?
S21: Yes. Hello, Carl and crew. My mama said do what you can. Can what you can, and sit on it while you can.
S2: I love that one. I've heard that a couple different ways. I always heard it is get all you can, can all you get and sit on the can. But the bottom line is make sure you don't lose what you're getting.
S7: Wow.
S2: Right, Jerry, that makes perfect sense to you and me.
S21: Yes it does. Yes it does. Never forget it. I always love my mama.
S2: Oh, that's great man. Got a can it man, or else you're going to lose it.
S3: Good feedback on text message. This is really good mom advice. If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.
S2: No, I.
S7: Am a.
S2: Big believer in.
S7: That.
S2: Really good if you don't fudge the facts. And this has to do with even, like stretching things.
S7: Yes.
S2: Just tell the truth.
S4: Yeah, it's better that way.
S2: Way better that way. Getting a lot of feedback coming in. What do you got, Allie?
S3: Yeah, this one said. I don't remember my mom giving me advice, but she displayed her advice by being on bended knees in front of the Bible.
S4: Ooh.
S7: That's a good.
S2: Mom. That's beautiful, isn't it?
S3: Oh, that's a good one from, uh, from a gentleman. He says my best advice from my mom. Marry that girl.
S2: Yeah, I that's what my mama told me. She. My mom lived it more than she told me what to do. But I came home from Bible college the first year, and I met a young lady, and I. I was really excited to show mom. And back in the day, we actually had a Facebook. Okay. At our college, a Facebook, which was before Facebook or before what was the first one? Before Facebook?
S4: What was Myspace?
S7: Myspace?
S2: Myspace? It was a long time before any of that and it was you. Everybody that was in college had a face with a name under him in the year that they were in, and I brought home the book and I said, this is the girl right here, Jane Ann Stratton. And she looked at her. She said, describe her to me. And I explained her and she said, don't you dare let this girl go, Carl. And I didn't. I married her. Married. Jujubes. And that was that was some good advice. She actually. I have a picture somewhere where she's got her. She's. She's mom's sitting on my lap. She's got the book kind of up against my chest, and she's pointing at the picture of jujubes, and, and she's got a big old grin like, this is my my son's girl. God willing. Isn't that cool?
S4: It's got a.
S7: Picture. That's sweet.
S2: Yeah, it's pretty cool. Uh, what do you say? What's the best advice you ever got from your mom? Let's go back to the phone lines. Who do we have?
S3: Kathy from Illinois just got about 30s. Give it to us, Kathy.
S11: My mother was a military nurse during World War two, and when we were growing up, she would always say, I expect you to do these things that I asked you to do. And when I get home, I expect to see them done.
S2: That's a military nurse, no doubt.
S4: No doubt.
S7: About it.
S2: My goodness, I expect these things to be done. Oh, sweet. Oh, we're getting a lot of feedback here. And we'll respond to as many of you as we can, but we want to make sure before we get out of here that we tell you about this cool Moms Day effort that we've got going. And one of you are going to win.
S3: Some Moms Day giveaway. You can enter for yourself, mom, or you can enter for a mom or a mom figure in your life who you want to bless. Just text the word mom. Fill out the entry form and you're all set. Text mom to 800 555 7898. Text mom to 800 555 7898.
S2: Yeah, what a blessing this is house fires helping you take your next step with Jesus. Let's go walk with him today.