S1: Today's version of Faith and Finance Live is pre-recorded so our phone lines are not open. I have seen all the works that are done under the sun. And behold, all is vanity and a chasing after the wind. Ecclesiastes 114. Hi, I'm Rob West. Life is full of pursuits and ambitions, each one pressing for our attention like a collage. The individual pieces may not make sense until we step back and see the bigger picture. Today we're talking about the gift of perspective and how viewing our lives through an eternal lens can change everything. Then we have some great calls lined up. But we won't be taking your live calls today because we're pre-recorded. This is faith and finance. Live. Biblical wisdom for your financial decisions. Well, if there's one book in the Bible that invites us to zoom out and take an honest look at life, it's Ecclesiastes. It's raw, reflective, and unafraid to ask big questions. What's really worth pursuing? What has lasting value? What are we building and why? Our new study, Wisdom Over Wealth, explores the book of Ecclesiastes with these questions in mind. It helps us see how financial wisdom fits into the broader story of a life lived for God. I'll tell you how to get your copy in a moment. In our everyday financial lives, it's easy to be consumed by the immediate. This week's bills, that investment opportunity or the looming tax deadline. Every issue seems urgent. But what if, instead of focusing on just one puzzle piece, we looked at how it fits into the whole? What if we could pull back and see our finances as part of a much bigger story? That's the gift of perspective. It lifts us out of the weeds and helps us see clearly. When we understand how our financial choices connect to our spiritual priorities, we begin making wiser, more intentional decisions. Ecclesiastes invites us to take a mile high view of not just our money, but life itself. The preacher on whom this book is based says he has seen all the works done under the sun and found them to be vanity. A chasing after the wind. Not because work or wealth are bad, but because when they become our ultimate goals, they leave us empty. That's a message we need in a culture that's constantly telling us to buy more, earn more, and do more. But Ecclesiastes points out that it's all meaningless if disconnected from God's purposes. This doesn't mean that wealth is meaningless. Far from it. When we view money through a biblical lens, we understand that it's not something to be worshipped or hoarded. It's a tool to be used for kingdom purposes. When steward had wisely. Wealth can be used for incredible good, to bless others, to support ministry and to bring glory to God. That's where Ecclesiastes speaks into stewardship. It reminds us that we don't truly own anything. Everything we have is entrusted to us by God. We're stewards, not owners. And that changes everything. It changes how we think about earnings, saving, giving and even retiring. It redirects our focus from accumulation to impact. Instead of asking how much can I gain, we begin to ask, how can I use what I have to reflect God's character? That's the heart of biblical stewardship. Living with open hands, trusting God as our provider, and using what we've been given for his glory. Ecclesiastes also teaches us something else that's crucial for our financial lives contentment. The writer encourages us to enjoy our work, to appreciate what we have, and to find joy in the simple gifts of life. It's a call to be present, to stop comparing and to stop chasing. Whether we're in a season of plenty or in a season of little contentment helps us stay grounded. It reminds us that peace isn't found in having more. It's found in walking with God where we find lasting peace no matter our financial situation. So how do we begin to cultivate this perspective? How do we step back and see our finances in light of God's larger story? Start by asking some honest questions. What truly matters to me? What do I want my financial legacy to be? How can I reflect God's values in how I manage his money? When you pause to reflect, you begin to see money not as the end goal, but as a resource to be used wisely and generously. Perspective leads to peace because it ultimately leads us back to God. It frees us from the endless striving and invites us into a deeper trust in his provision. That's why we're so excited to make our new study, Wisdom Over Wealth, available to you through the Book of Ecclesiastes. This study can help you gain the clarity and confidence you need to steward your finances with purpose. This month, when you give a gift of $35 or more to Faith Phi, we'll send you wisdom over wealth as our thank you. Just visit Faith Fiq228c5hs to request your copy today. That's Faith F5. Well, folks, we're going to head to a break. But let me remind you, we're out of the studio today. Our team is not here, so don't call in. But much more to come just around the corner on faith and finance. Live. Stick around. Thanks to have you with us today on Faith and Finance live. We're away from the studio, so don't call in. We will have some great questions coming up. By the way, just a reminder. As always, my advice is really general in nature to help you understand principles around financial decision making rooted in Scripture. Sure. Always seek professional financial advice that is geared toward your specific situation. Hey, before we head to the phones in just a bit, let me remind you if you've found value in the broadcast, maybe you've benefited from something you've heard, you've called in, you've visited our website, and you'd like to be a part of supporting this work so we can reach more people with this message of wise and faithful stewardship. Well, we call those our faith five partners. You can become a partner quickly and easily on our website, Faith Philly.com. Just click give as a partner at $35 a month, not only will you help us reach more people, but we'll be able to send you as our thank you, our quarterly magazine, and all of our new studies and devotionals faithfully.com. Just click give before we head to the phone calls for today in the news. It comes as no surprise, but many of the best job opportunities this year will be in the health sector. That's according to a new ranking by indeed, the job search portal in the top 25 jobs based on salary. Six are in the health field, including veterinarian, physician, clinical psychologist, radiologist, registered nurse and director of clinical services. Analysts say these professionals are in extremely high demand and command large salaries. As you might expect, that demand is expected to grow disproportionately higher than other job sectors in the years ahead. Of course, health professionals are in such high demand due to what analysts call barriers to entry. You have to have advanced medical degrees to qualify them and for them, and they take a lot of time, effort and money to acquire. But if you're thinking about entering the the job force and perhaps considering as you're a maybe a high school senior or one is in your life, or maybe you're looking to make a transition to a new career, this might be something to think about as you consider not only what is a great job opportunity today, but what will be into the future? Assuming that aligns with your passions and skill set that the Lord has gifted you with? All right, let's turn to your calls and questions. We're going to begin in Virginia with Dan. Go ahead sir.
S2: Yes. Thank you for taking my call. My question is that I'm 73 years old. I'm self-employed, have for 40 years, uh, and uh, five years ago, uh, we moved out of our house and, uh, left the house that we owned completely for my daughter and his her kids because of the fact that she had thyroid cancer, thyroid was removed. And, uh, as a result, we were hoping that she could help us somehow or another. But it seems like she has just absolutely no energy. So the house should be generating probably up to $3,000 a month in rent Ryan if I would have done it, but I'm not getting a nickel out of it. So it's costing me quite a bit of money, and I was just wondering if there's any way I can use have some type of deduction, tax deferment or deduction with this situation on this house?
S1: Yeah. It's, uh, it's a great question and I'm grateful that, uh, excuse me, in her situation, you're able to provide that assistance, but I realize that can be a drain. Absolutely. Um, and so any, you know, help along the way would go a long way to helping you to continue to be able to do this. Uh, you do need to check with a tax professional. And so I would connect with a CPA if you'd normally do your own taxes, maybe this is the year to just get some advice or perhaps even have somebody, uh, do this for you if you're providing just generally speaking here for a second, substantial support for an adult child who's not living with you, there are potential tax benefits available. Uh, you could claim them as a dependent under the qualifying relative category. And so, you know, they have to be your child, which clearly they are. The child has to have earned less than, you know, $4,700. And that changes yearly. And then you have to provide more than 50% support. And unlike a qualifying child, a qualifying relative does not have to live with you. And then they can't be dependent anywhere else. Um, so that would be, you know, one option, uh, you know, you could also look at other potential tax breaks as well. And I think that's where exploring this with a tax professional would probably, uh, you know, go a long way in helping you explore everything that could be available to you.
S2: Okay. Well, um, I will pursue those, uh, that, that avenue and see what we can get. You know what? The outcome of that. Yeah, I do have a CPA that does take care of my, uh, my professional, my business books every year. Okay. And, uh, so. And he knows my situation and he he hasn't offered any type of ideas or anything like that. Okay. Um, yeah.
S1: Oh, it's going to be limited, but it's at least worth exploring. And I talked to him about whether or not, you know, there is an opportunity with the qualifying relative category, but, uh, keep up the good work, Dan. And, um, I realize this is a season with expenses up across the board, not the least of which, you know, is the support you're providing can be a real challenge. But, uh, I know it makes the Lord smile when we help those that we care about and who are going through a difficult season. Call back any time if we can assist further. God bless you, sir. Uh, to New Hampshire. Rebecca. Go ahead.
S3: Uh, I have a question about credit scores and how they're determined. Um, a few years ago, I got divorced, and we had to sell the house, and six months later, I had no credit. But thankfully, I always paid my bills on time. And I kept my records. So a kind bank helped Help me buy a house or condo. So I have a, um, I do have that towards my my credit. And I always pay on time and I pay all my bills on time. But I have found over the last several months that my credit score, which I see on my bank statements, is gradually going down. It was like at 780 it's down to like 720. And I was trying to figure out why. And the only thing that I've been able to ascertain, because there's no complaints or anything on my credit report, is that I don't have enough credit, which is doesn't seem right to me because having a mortgage, especially since my mortgage and my HOA is half my income, should be enough.
S1: Yes. Uh, well, there's a couple of things going on here. It's not likely due at least the primary reason to you not having enough credit. Uh, you know, that would have prevented you from getting a mortgage in the first place. It could be any number of things. If you've had any closed, long standing credit accounts that can have an impact on your score because it reduces your credit history, which is one of the pieces of this. It also could have to do with your credit mix. So the credit scoring algorithm benefits those who have a different types of credit, all in good standing. So if you have revolving accounts like a credit card alongside an installment account, like a car loan alongside a mortgage, I mean, these different types of credit, at least based on the algorithm, would indicate to the lender that you can manage various types of credit for various purposes. And, you know, be an on time payer. And so that credit mix benefits you as well. If you've applied for credit recently, perhaps even in a shorter period of time in the recent past, those hard inquiries where you authorized a lender to check your credit could also be affecting your score. Usually the primary issue related to credit would be, um, you know, what's called credit utilization, uh, where you're carrying balances, whether you charge them up and then pay them off at the end of the cycle, uh, or you're carrying them month to month and paying interest. If those balances go above 30% of the limit, either per individual account or in the aggregate, that's going to pull down your score. So I think your, uh, next step is to pull all three credit reports at annualcreditreport.com, just to make sure there's not anything there that's erroneous or inaccurate. But, um, you know, I think if you can prioritize keeping those balances low and being an on time payer, that's the very best opportunity for you. Hope that helps. Thanks for your call. We'll be right back.
S4: We're faith and finance live and we talk about our telephone number often because we usually are live. But today the program is prerecorded. So if you hear a mention of the phone number, please don't call us. But you can find us online at giphy.com.
S1: Let's go to, uh, Evanston, Illinois. Hi, Colleen. How can I help?
S5: Hi, Rob. Just got a scary letter from the IRS. I was the executor of my mother's estate, and she had, uh, an investment about 350,000. And by the time we divided it between all of my siblings, we each got about 65,000 apiece. And my sister just got a letter from the IRS that because she didn't pay taxes on the inheritance, that she owes $45,000 in penalties. And I thought an inheritance was not taxable.
S1: Yeah. Uh, I would get with a CPA to try to explore this a bit further. It could be a mistake. Uh, the federal estate tax exemption for 2025, and it wasn't much lower than this for 24. Uh, was $13.9 million. What year did she pass away?
S5: 2022.
S1: Okay. Uh, so it wasn't this high, but, uh, it was it was still very high. And so, you know, you you shouldn't really have, uh, estate taxes there. And then from a state standpoint, at least for this year, I don't know what it was in 2022. Uh, you know, Illinois estate tax kicks in on estates exceeding 4 million. Uh, but there is no inheritance state tax or federal. Um, so that's a little confusing. I mean, there should have been a step up in basis on the any assets that were in the estate. And so any capital gains that would be you would be responsible for would be for gain and value from the time you received it as an inheritance till the time you sold it. But I'm a little confused as to why there would be any kind of estate taxes here, unless we're talking about a pretty significant sizable estate. Um, so I would probably reach out to a CPA. Do you have a CPA, or did your mom that you could, uh, check in with?
S5: No, she did not.
S1: Okay. What about you?
S5: I do not. My taxes are very simple.
S1: Okay. Yeah, well, I think this is the year to do it. Uh, just so you can understand, you know what might be there in 2022? I believe it was just over $12 million. Um, was the the exempt portion of an estate as far as federal income taxes or federal estate taxes were concerned. And for a married couple, you know, that'd be 24 million. So, uh, you know, I would love for you to dig a little further into this. Don't be surprised if you do uncover the fact that this was an error of some kind. They do happen, but this is one of those times where it's going to be absolutely worth it for you to get a professional involved. And just to understand what the IRS is saying, they could even represent you as they follow up, um, and try to get more information and then either get it rectified or if there is something owed, understand why and and deal with it. And that could involve a payment plan of some kind. But hopefully it's just an error and you don't have anything at all.
S5: Would a CPA be better than a tax attorney?
S1: Uh, I would probably start with the CPA. Yeah, because they would be very accustomed to dealing with the IRS. Could could handle this for you and represent you. They could very easily determine what is owed, if anything, just based on the 2022 estate taxes. And, um, you know, that would probably be where I would start.
S5: And could you recommend someone?
S1: Uh, yeah. You know, what you could do is head to our website. Colleen. It's faith. That's faith. Philly.com. And right there at the top of the page it says find a professional and you could look for a certified Kingdom advisor in the tax area. If you don't find one, there's far fewer than those in the financial planning and investment area. Um, then I would just reach out to any of those in your area and you could ask for a referral. They would all have a godly CPA that they work with.
S5: Great. Thank you so much.
S1: All right, Colleen, let us know how this turns out. We would, uh, we would love to hear from you. Uh, as you get this resolved. Thanks for being on the program today. Well, I mentioned those, uh, electronic questions that come in, uh, regularly. We do love to, uh, tackle them, and we don't get to them often enough. So let me try to get a couple more in the mix here. This one from Stu. He writes I'm 63. I have about 220,000 for retirement. Do you think it would be better to finish out my working years contributing to my 401 K or a Roth IRA. You know, I would say at this point, uh, you would probably be better off putting money in your 401 K, uh, making sure you're maxing out any matching portion of your employer's contributions. And then the 401 K itself. Reason being, you're probably at the peak of your earning capability, uh, now, and your retirement income is likely to be a lot less. So the idea that, uh, you know, you would go ahead and get that tax break now and then pay taxes later, uh, when you pull that money out in retirement is not a bad idea. Now, I will say that there was a pretty significant study done. We've referenced it a few times here on this podcast with regard to, uh, looking at retirement plans, given the uncertainties of the future tax code and your retirement earnings, and recognizing that there's some wisdom in having both the pre-tax retirement account growing alongside the after tax or the wrath flavor. So a lot of people have AA4 hundred one K, both pre-tax and after tax versions, and are wondering how should we kind of allocate our contributions among the two. And the study said, you take your age, you add the number 20, and that's the percentage that you put in the pre-tax, the traditional version with the balance into the Roth version. So let's just take an example. If you're 50, you'd add 22 at 70, 70% of your, uh, salary deferral contribution would go into that pre-tax 401 K 30% into the Roth. Now, if knowing that study was there and that that produced the optimal results for the most people, if you have 100% in your traditional right now, the idea that you'd get some working in that pre-tax environment might not be a bad idea, and that would be you funding that Roth. So I think you could go either way, if you like the idea of not having the required minimum and getting that tax free growth, and you've still got some time on your side, uh, you plan to work a good bit longer, perhaps go ahead and fund those Roth IRAs. I think that wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Stu, thanks for writing to us. This is Faith and finance live on Moody Radio. I'm Rob West. Just a quick reminder. We're not here today, so don't call in. But we're going to head to a break and much more coming just after this. Stay with us. Hey, great to have you with us today on Faith and Finance Live. I'm Rob West, your host. Our team is away from the studio today, so don't call in. But coming up a little later, we'll have more of your questions right here on the program. Hey, let me take a moment to mention the Faith fi app. We'd love for you to download it. Just head to your app store or wherever you download apps and search for Faith fi. That's faith, fi. You can manage your money. You can access the best content in biblical finance podcasts, articles, and videos. You can also participate in our Faith fi community, where you can post questions and get answers from others on their stewardship journey. You'll find it in your app store. Just search for Faith fi or if it's easier, head to our website at Faith Philly.com. That's Faith fi.com and you'll see the app right there on the home page. Now let's head back to the phone calls we have lined up. Now let's go out to Lancaster, PA and welcome Lisa. Go right ahead.
S6: Oh hi Rob. Thanks for having me on and taking my call. Yes, ma'am.
S1: Absolutely.
S6: So, um, so I'm a single parent, and, you know, I had to financially start over based on a lot of different circumstances over the last ten years. And my question has been about how to wisely and also Semi aggressively approach either the markets like the stock market bonds. I'm not sure whether I should be in 401 K or going into Roth IRA. Just really unclear about how I can preserve my financial future and also provide for my child.
S1: Yeah, well, I appreciate that, Lisa. And listen, I know we go through seasons that can be challenging, and certainly that includes financially speaking. I think the key is we get beyond those and you get to a place where you're at right now where you say, listen, I, I recognize the importance of putting something aside for the future, and I want to do that in a way that's wise and that's great. So what we don't want to do is when we're trying to play a little bit of catch up, we don't want to abandon those principles that we know are time tested and find their roots in in biblical wisdom. And I'm thinking specifically about Ecclesiastes 11 two that we want to not put all of our eggs in one basket, and so we don't want to throw caution to the wind and and speculate or get into high risk investments with the hope we can, you know, make up some for lost time. We want to still be sure and steady. It's that steady, plodding approach that we see in God's Word. So the best way to do that is take however much time you have and just let's be, you know, mindful about keeping lifestyle in check. So we create more surplus. And then let's be systematic in our investing, uh, every month, high markets and low markets. When the market's down, we can buy more shares with the same money when it's high. Hopefully we're participating in some of that upside. But I think that's the key now in terms of the where of the investing, we generally say let's start with a company sponsored retirement plan, especially if there's some matching available. Do you know if your company has that?
S6: Yes.
S1: Okay. Great. And so like will they match you a dollar for dollar up to a certain percentage or something.
S6: Yes, I believe I want to say up to 6%.
S1: Okay, great. So that's going to be the a number one place to go because that's free money. I mean, so if you put in a dollar and they give you a dollar up to 6%, that's 100% return on your money, you're not going to get that anywhere else. So let's take full advantage of that. That's your starting point. So now you put in six. They put in six. All of a sudden you got 12% of your compensation. You're pay going into a retirement plan. That's great. That's amazing. Now if you have the ability to do more, that's where we could just for simplicity's sake, just continue putting it in the 401 K. The nice thing about the 401 K, other than the matching is it's it's fairly easy to manage. They're going to give you a menu of investments, and you can pick the one that's most suited for your age and risk tolerance. Um, they probably even have somebody that's a part of that plan that could, you know, help navigate that for you and explain which one, just based on what you're looking for, might be the best for you at your age and so forth. So I think that would be a great place for you to begin. And then I'd love to send you a book. It's called the Sound Mind Investing Handbook, and it's based on biblical truth. But it's all about investing. And I think to the extent you want to do some some reading on this topic and get a little bit more educated on, you know, what you're getting into, I think this book will be a great resource for you. Okay.
S6: Yeah. Okay. Thank you.
S1: Awesome. Uh, you get started in that 401 K. Stay on the line. We'll get your information here and get that book right out to you. Thanks for your call today. Uh, let's go to what? We're going to stay in Pennsylvania. Annette, how can I help you?
S7: Hi. Thanks for taking my call. Yes, I have a question about my HSA account. I recently turned 62. I've been retired from teaching a few years. And am I able to use my HSA account to pay for my health insurance premium?
S1: Uh, know, generally, HSA funds cannot be used for health insurance premiums. Um, once you're over 65, though, uh, you know, you can use those funds for anything prior to that. You can't. But keep in mind that HSA funds use for Medicare premiums could be subject to income tax. So you're going to want to talk to your CPA or tax professional just to make sure you understand the implications of everything. Um, you can also use, uh, you know, HSA funds for health insurance premiums if you're receiving unemployment benefits. Um, the only other allowed uses are for long term care insurance premiums and what's called Cobra coverage. But if you're under 65 and you don't have one of these, uh, you know, exceptions here that I'm describing, uh, generally speaking, you cannot use them for health insurance premiums.
S7: So would the health insurance provided by my employer that I continue to receive health insurance benefits from? Would that be considered Cobra?
S1: Uh, no. That's only the the type of coverage that's available to you. When you separate from your employment. You can continue your company sponsored coverage for a period of time. That's the Cobra coverage. But you're still working there, right?
S7: I retired a couple years ago.
S1: Oh, you retired okay. And so are you are still taking, uh, the advantage of the same, uh, plan, is that right?
S7: Yes. Right.
S1: Okay. Yeah. So I would just check with your CPA. We just want to make sure we're in compliance with the the IRS rules and regs and whether or not that's a retirement coverage or whether it is deemed Cobra coverage, and therefore would be one of those allowable uses. Uh, so I would I would check with your tax professional. Do you normally prepare your own return?
S7: No, I usually use someone to prepare that for me.
S1: Okay. Yeah. So I'd give that person a call, just kind of go over your specific situation and get them to sign off on it.
S7: Okay, great. Thank you so.
S1: Much. You're welcome. Thanks for your call today. Let's go to Chicago. Hi, Ruth. How can I help?
S8: Hi. And I'm a senior citizen. I'm over 65, and I've been cheated by my insurance agent. I'm not going to name the company. It's a very well-known company. But there was a time 5 to 6 years ago, within one year period, while I was totally standing still, not moving to other vehicles crashed into me. So first one sideswiped me because he was trying to move when the traffic wasn't moving. It was like a parking lot, and he tried to get around my left and messed up the left side of my car. The next time I was stopped at a light and somebody crashed into me. So do we have to wait for the next thing?
S1: Are you? You sound like you listen regularly. You were ready for that music and you know what that means. It does. But I would love to help you navigate this, because it sounds like your insurance company is raising your premium for an accident where you were not at fault. And so there are steps just kind of generally speaking, of course, they vary by insurance company that you can take to challenge that increase and hopefully resolve it. But um, we'll talk about that right around the corner. So, yeah. Ruth, uh, you stay right there and, uh, we'll take this quick break and then come right back to you, and then we'll hopefully get to a few more questions today here in our final segment. Now, we're not here to take your calls live today, but we have plenty of calls that we lined up in advance. And we'll get to those just around the corner. Don't go anywhere. We're so glad you've joined us for Faith and Finance Live today here in our final segment, let me remind you not to call in because we're not live today, but we'd love for you to stick around and enjoy the rest of the program. Now, before the break, we were talking to Ruth in Chicago. Uh, she had two cars at two different times. Uh, crashed into hers in both cases. Uh, she says she was not at fault. She was actually not even moving at the time. And, uh, the insurance company has raised her insurance premium, and she says, and we'll talk about this, uh, labeled her as at fault for both accidents and wanting to know what to do. Ruth, did I capture that correctly?
S8: Yes. Yes.
S1: Okay. Yeah. So I think the first issue is, and it sounds like you may have already done this, but let's just go through this. You want a pretty detailed explanation, uh, for that premium increase and confirm whether the increase is related to the accident or other factors. So, like just a general rate adjustment or claims history, um, and then you want to verify what's called the fault determination. So ensure that if you haven't already, that the insurance company has recorded a fault and whether they, you know, recorded that correctly because mistakes can happen and correcting that may resolve the issue. Now if they have it incorrect, then you of course want to get the documentation to prove you were not at fault. That could be a police report or an accident report showing the other driver was at fault, if that exists. Um, you know, statements from the adjuster or photographs, you know, evidence, that type of thing. And then you you could dispute the premium increase. You could I'd start with your insurance agent and just ask them to review the file and politely but firmly explain that you were not at fault and you believe the premium increase is unjustified. You could escalate that to a supervisor. There's probably even a formal complaint process now. Some states have laws preventing insurers from raising premiums for accidents where you are not at fault. Illinois is not one of those. And so you just need to kind of work those normal channels inside that insurer and try to get to the right person and department that, you know, could take a look at this and after you file the formal complaint and hopefully that internal process for disputes will come out in your favor. Obviously, if it doesn't, then that might be the time for you to shop for new insurance or, you know, something like that. But I think those are your next steps for any at least that you haven't taken already.
S8: Okay, but here's the problem too okay. I have shopped, I have shopped for other insurance. However, even though my insurance company did not pay a penny on either accident because the other party was at fault, they reported me to some central agency that all all insurance companies connect with. They reported me as being the guilty party, as being at fault. Yeah. And so anytime when I've tried to shop for other insurance, it's excessively high.
S1: Yeah. Yeah. well, if something was reported incorrectly, I think that's where you have a case here. I mean, at the end of the day, the insurance company can pretty much do what they want. They can raise your premium. Even if you were not at fault for either accident. They may, you know, in their own internal processes, view you as a higher risk for some reason. But if they are reporting you either internally or externally or both, uh, with the the improper fault determination, that might be where you'd have a case, you know, to again file a complaint, try to get them to, you know, change that internally. And if you believe your insurer is acting unfairly, you could, of course, as a next level of defense, file a complaint with your state's insurance commissioner, and they can investigate and mediate the dispute. And that would be really where you would go from here.
S8: Oh, so there is an insurance investigator.
S1: Well, it's the state insurance regulator, and they oversee the insurance companies. And, uh, could act on it, you know? I mean, you're going to find varying degrees depending on the state of willingness to engage with you and, and take action on a timely basis. But they are the place to go if you feel like you're not being treated fairly.
S8: Okay. Thank you so much and I really appreciate your program. God bless you.
S1: Thank you, Ruth, and you as well. Uh, to Lakeland, Florida. Hi, Linda. How can I help?
S9: Hi. Um, I have a property that my my parents lived on. It was in adjacent to mine, but it was a separate property. So at any rate, I sold it, but I'm holding the mortgage on it for myself. In other words, they're paying me so much a month for it. Um, do I have to pay income tax?
S1: Uh, well, you would go ahead.
S9: Or what is that? Not inheritance tax.
S1: Yeah. You're talking about capital gains tax.
S9: Yes yes yes.
S1: Yeah, yeah. Uh, yes. If you sell a property that was not your principal residence. Um, you know, uh, you will have capital gains tax depending upon, uh, your income and which is going to include the gain that you have. So how much gain did you have on this property when you take the selling price, minus the original purchase price and any improvements and expenses?
S9: Um, about 60 now. About 50,000.
S1: Okay. Yeah. So you would just need to look at the long term capital gains rate. Um, and, you know, you would determine whether you're at zero 15 or 20%. Um, and then, you know, keep in mind that you holding the mortgage, um, you know, is going to result in you having to pay, you know, tax as well. Um, and so I would probably get a CPA involved in this just to calculate, uh, you know, any capital gain that would be due given this wasn't your principal residence and then income taxes on this income that you now have moving forward.
S9: So it would be both capital gains and income tax.
S1: Well, capital gains on the sale of the asset that's appreciated. And then income tax on the interest that you're receiving on the mortgage.
S9: Oh okay. Oh the interest I receive on the mortgage would be very little. Okay. And I'm only on Social Security, so I don't have that much money.
S1: Okay. Yeah. Well, hopefully it'll be it'll be fairly low. It could be nothing at all if you're under that threshold, uh, for a single person. But, uh, when you add it all together, it perhaps could tip up into the the 15% long term capital gains rate. But you'll just want to check with your CPA to get all of that worked out. Linda, thanks for your call. I hope that helps you. We appreciate you being on the program today. Uh, Washington State's where we're headed next. Hi, Ethan. Go ahead.
S10: Hi, Rob. Thanks for taking my call. And thanks for all you do. Um.
S1: Yes, sir.
S10: Long story short, I. I'm rancher 31. I have, uh, you know, no investments, don't know, you know, kind of much about it. Um, so in the ag business, not a lot of them do like 401 K company, you know, kind of anything like that. Um, so I'm just kind of curious on maybe where to start to start up. I don't know if there's a difference of 401 or a Roth IRA kind of just kind of anything like that.
S1: Yeah. Very good. So you've got a couple of options there. I mean, are you considered self-employed?
S10: Uh, no. I work for, um, a rancher.
S1: Okay. All right. Yeah. So you've got a couple of options. I mean, certainly the IRA is a great starting point. Uh, if you're over the age of 50, you could put in, you know, $8,000. If you're married, you could double that. Um, and you can contribute for 2024 as well as 2025 if you haven't filed your 24 return yet. So you could, you know, put in twice the amount and contribute for two years at once. That'd be a great beginning point. I mean, there are options for self-employed individuals, but that doesn't apply here because you're a W2 employee. So beyond that, you could look at a health savings account as one option to save for retirement, where you're essentially, you know, if you're healthy and you're not spending a lot of medical expenses, you could get a high deductible health plan. And then, you know, max out that health savings account and then keep that. And then after age 65, there's some advantages on how you could use that money. Um, you could look at, uh, you know, farm specific programs. If any of those apply, you could look at, uh, an insurance product, like an annuity would be one option for you to get some tax deferral. Um, and, you know, get money, you know, growing for the future, uh, that you could take advantage of down the road, and then you could just put money into a taxable account as well. And even though you're going to have to pay capital gains along the way, um, Um, you, you know, could still get a money growing for you in, in a, um, you know, properly diversified stock and bond portfolio. You'd have ultimate flexibility on that because it's outside of a retirement plan, even though you would have the drain of the taxes on it. Um, you know, you would have complete flexibility as to how you used it in the future. But I think starting with the, excuse me, the. Yeah, the Roth or traditional IRA and then perhaps the HSA, if that applies, and then either an annuity product or a taxable investment account or probably your your best options.
S10: Okay. Perfect. Um, I guess my only other question. Sorry, I'm trying to take notes. So, uh, is there or I guess would there be like a good book or a website to start and kind of like, you know, learn more rather than kind of try to remember my notes, I guess.
S1: Yeah, totally. Let me, let me send you one just as our gift to you. It's the book that I gave out earlier, but we'll send one to you as well. Ethan. It's called the Sound Mind Investing Handbook, and it's a it's a great kind of primer on this topic of investing, but through the lens of biblical principles, I think it'll get you well on your way to understanding investing in stocks and bonds and the various types of accounts that are available to you. And, and and then I think once you finish that sound mind investing org would be another place for some great, uh, research.
S10: Perfect. Thank you so much. And thank you and God bless you.
S1: Well thank you Ethan. I appreciate you as well. Thanks for calling in to the program today. If we can serve you with anything in the future, don't hesitate to reach out to us. Well, folks, uh, we covered a lot of ground today. Always fun and enjoyable to be on with you and help you think about how we manage God's money. You know, when it comes to investing, here's the thing. You know, we're hearing a lot right now about what's going on in the crypto space and Bitcoin and these high flying, you know, crypto memes. And you know, we've got, uh, all these speculative type investments, and they can have some allure to them because we hear about this overnight wealth that's created. Let's not fall for that. Uh, now, as as Mark Behler said, there might be a place for some Bitcoin. And in that more speculative portion of your portfolio, maybe 10%, maybe you take a sliver into Bitcoin, or maybe a sliver of the 5 to 10% that you would normally put into gold. But you're serious. Money needs to be sure and steady. Uh, the Bible calls it steady plodding. We need to be diversified. We need to have unity with our spouse. We need to have a long time horizon. And we need to ultimately understand that God is our provider, not anyone or anything else. I hope that's a helpful reminder to you today. Faith and finance live as a partnership between Moody Radio and Faith five. Couldn't do this without my team Amy, Jim, Dan Anthony serving us today and everybody here at Faith five. We'll see you tomorrow.