S1: Last week was Jerusalem Day. Should people still care about the city of Jerusalem, especially followers of Jesus? Well, stay with me. We'll talk about that in just a moment. Hello, friends. Welcome to Open Line. This is Moody Radio's Bible study across America. My name is Michael Ray. I'm the academic dean and a professor of Jewish studies and Bible at Moody Bible Institute. I'm so grateful to be joining you around the radio kitchen table. We're talking about your questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. I'm so happy that we can have this Bible study across America. That's what really, this is people calling from all over the country with their questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. If you have a question and you'd like to call the phone number, here is (877) 548-3675. You know, there's, uh, so many times people say I can't get through. Best time to call. To get through is the beginning of the program. Or at least the beginning of the hour. Again, the number (877) 548-3675. Tricia McMillan is our producer. Murals behind the board. They're taking care of everything. Merle Saint James, all things technical. Uh, Lisa's helping out, and we're glad for the whole team here. That's trying to do our best to answer your questions about Scripture. Um, the phone number again. (877) 548-3675. I want to thank. A couple weeks ago, Mike Faber sat in for me while I was handling graduation at the Moody Bible Institute. That went great. And then last week we had a prerecorded program. Thank you, Tricia, for putting that together. And now I'm glad to be back. Live with you. So it's time to go get yourself a cup of coffee. I've got mine right here. Bring your Bible, because we're going to study the scriptures together. So I've heard a lot, in fact, just this very past week about how believers, now that we follow Jesus, who is not just the King of Israel, but the King of the whole world, that we shouldn't really care about, the city of Jerusalem, the city of Jerusalem, or the Jerusalem Day, is a celebration of the reunification of Jerusalem into one city. Both the ancient city of Jerusalem and the modern city into one city. In 1967, during the Six-Day War, when Jordan attacked Israel. The result was that the city was united. And so since 1967, almost 60 years, that has been celebrated in late May, early June, depending on when the Jewish calendar counts the day. This past week it was May 25th and 26th. We celebrated Jerusalem Day. It's the reunification and people think, well, it shouldn't really matter, and that it's sort of a negative that that Jewish people celebrate the reunification of Jerusalem. Here's what one Christian author wrote about Psalm 48, which is a celebration of Jerusalem. It says Psalm 48 records the pride and overconfidence of Israel's view of land. It was a national possession guaranteeing divine privilege, and it was very negative about Psalm 48. But I think Psalm 48 shouldn't be viewed negatively or viewed as a negative about what Jewish people think of Jerusalem. Rather, it should teach us how we should think about Jerusalem. Let me read Psalm 48. The Lord is great and highly praised in the city of our God. His holy mountain, rising splendidly, is the joy of the whole earth. Mount Zion on the slopes of the north is the city of the Great King. God is known as a stronghold in its citadels. Look! The kings assembled. They advanced together. They looked and froze with fear. They fled in terror. Trembling seized them their agony like that of a woman in labor. As you wreck the ships of Tarshish with the east wind. Just as we heard. So we have seen in the city of the Lord of hosts, in the city of our God, God will establish it forever. God, within your temple we contemplate your faithful love. Your name, God like your praise reaches to the end of the earth. Your right hand is filled with justice. Mount Zion is glad, glad the towns of Judah rejoice because of your judgments. Go around Zion. Encircle it. Count its towers. Note its ramparts. Tour its citadels so that you can tell a future generation this God, our God, forever and ever. He will always lead us. So how should we think about Jerusalem today? Here's four perspectives on Jerusalem. First of all, it's the capital of the city of the Great King. It's called the city of our God, his holy mountain. It's called the city of the Great King in verse two. This is the city of the King Messiah. So we often think of it as our city, or a city of Judaism, or a city of Islam. People want to say it's that because of the Islamic conquest in the eighth century. No, we have to remember this is the city of the messianic King. When it says the city of our God, the city of the great King, the great King is the Lord Jesus. It's his city. So we should consider it the city of the King Messiah. Secondly, it's the city of the great King will defend at the end of days. The Psalms need to be read, looking forward to the end of days. And this describes the kings assembling and advancing toward it in verses four and following. And it says that the nations will freeze in terror when they come to attack Jerusalem. That's described in Zechariah 14, when all nations gather against Jerusalem. And the Lord Jesus returns and his feet stand on the Mount of Olives to bring deliverance. One day when the nations gather, they will be seized in terror. When the Lord Jesus comes to defend the city. And then it says in verse eight that the Lord of hosts in the city of our God, that he will establish it forever. It will become the permanent capital of the great King. So it's the city of the messianic King. It's the city that the Great King will defend at the end of days. Third, it's the city from which the great King will rule the nations. It says in verse ten that your name, God, like your praise, reaches to the ends of the earth, and your right hand is filled with justice. What this is saying is that, yes, one day in the Messianic kingdom, the Lord Jesus will reign from Jerusalem, but his reign will extend all the way to the ends of the earth. In a sense, Jerusalem will not just be the capital of Israel, but it will be the capital of the whole world. And so it's the city of the messianic King. It's the city of the great King that he will defend at the end of days. It's the city from which the Great King will defend and rule over the nations. And lastly, it's the city we should celebrate today because of what the Great King will do in the future. Here's what the psalmist says. He says, this is a psalm of the sons of Korah. The sons of Korah say, go around Zion, encircle it, walk around its towers. One of my favorite things to do is when I'm in Jerusalem, is to walk on the walls of the old city and just walk around the city and enjoy the beauty of everything around me so that we can tell a future generation. Verse 13. This God, our God, forever and ever, he will always lead us. He led the founding of Jerusalem. He led the establishment of Jerusalem. He will reign from Jerusalem. This is his city. So should we not care about Jerusalem? That's a mistake. We have to celebrate. always. The city of the Great King. Well, we're going to go right to the phones. But before anything else, I would really like to talk with you about our current resource. You know, one of the things I really want to encourage people to do is to build a biblical library. I probably shouldn't have you do that because that will put me out of business. You know, if you have a great library, you won't call Open Line with your questions. But I still think it's important that you're able to study for yourself. And what I think is so crucial is to have one of the books you should have. We should all have is a Bible dictionary. And when you wonder who is this person here in the Bible? Or why is that place mentioned? Where is that? Or what's this event that's being described. Here's a holiday that I don't understand. When it's all mentioned in the Bible, the best place to go is to a Bible dictionary. And when you give a gift of any size, we'd like to say thanks by sending you the Ultimate Bible Dictionary. It's published by BNA, the same publisher that produced the Holman CSB that I like so much, my favorite Bible translation. Anyway. BNA produced the Ultimate Bible Dictionary. It's easy to carry, it's easy to use. It's it's just a small book with a lot of great content. It's a great resource. And if you'd like a copy, it's yours. When you give a gift of any size, just go to our website, openlibrary.org or call (888) 644-7122. And by the way, I thank all of you who have given gifts and I know you appreciate the resources we send as a thank you, but thank you for your generosity so much. And if you've never given to open line and you appreciate the, uh, the learning that we're doing together here on the program. I hope you'll decide to give a gift, because this is a great resource to get. Don't miss out. It's one of my favorite resources we've ever given away. So thank you. Uh, once again, call (888) 644-7122 or go to open line radio.com. Well we're going to talk to Daniel in Grand Rapids, Michigan listening on GNB. Welcome to Open Line Daniel. How can I help you today?
S2: Um, my brother goes to a Pentecostal church, and he was saying that they taught him that the souls of the dead go to the bosom of Abraham. What is all this? The bosom of Abraham. I remember singing a song. Rock my soul in the bosom of Abraham when we were kids.
S1: Mhm. Well, I don't think this is a distinctively, uh, um. Uh, Pentecostal teaching. It's a pretty common teaching that in the Old Testament, when believers die, they go to a place called Abraham's bosom. And that's from the story of Lazarus and the rich man. You know that story where Lazarus is a parable and Lazarus dies and he's being comforted by Father Abraham, and the rich man sees in the distance. You know that story, don't you?
S2: Oh, yes, indeed, very much so.
S1: Yeah. And so what people have said is, before the death and resurrection and ascension of Jesus, that believers, instead of going to heaven into the presence of the father, they went to a place called Abraham's bosom. I think that misunderstands that verse, because all it means is Lazarus, who suffered immensely in this life as poverty stricken believer. He is now finding comfort and peace Through the father Abraham, who's bringing him comfort, who's holding him, kind of hugging him. That's the idea. It's not a location. It's it's the place. He's being comforted by the patriarch. Now, why God chose chooses Abraham. Maybe because he was a special prophet or something like that. That's why Abraham is doing that. But I think that believers go into the presence of God. And in the Old Testament or the New Testament, we just go right into our spirits, go to the presence of God until the great resurrection that will take place in the future. So that's what I think that is. Uh, however, there are many, many believers who teach that Abraham's bosom is a location sort of pre heaven, so to speak, a place of comfort. Okay.
S2: You know, it confuses the where we're going to go after we die if they teach that.
S3: Yeah.
S1: But they're, they're not talking about believers today. They're talking about Old Testament believers. They're not talking about believers today. Uh, they would say that absent from the body is present with the Lord. That when we die as followers of Jesus, we go right into the presence of the Lord. Okay.
S2: Yes. Thank you for talking with me today. And straighten some things out there and God bless Israel.
S1: Oh thank you. Thanks for calling. We're going to take a break here. Uh, and when we come back, we're going to take more of your questions. Uh, your calls. Uh, try our best to give you a biblical answer. The phone number (877) 548-3675. Give me a call. We'll talk about your questions on this Bible study across America. My name is Michael Rey Dominik. I'll be right back with you in just a moment. Welcome back to Open Line. My name is Michael Rey. I'm so glad to be with you every week. It's had a couple of weeks where I wasn't here live last week. Pre-recorded program the week before that graduation. Kind of a big deal for me. That was my last graduation where I'm going to call the names. Uh, I'm grateful that I've had the privilege of serving at Moody as a professor for almost 32 years, and grateful also that, uh, the last few years I've been the academic dean of the undergraduate school, so I had to call the names. That's great. But, uh, starting July 1st, I'll be, uh, sort of a emeritus faculty member dean. And, uh, that which is a really kind gift that the board of trustees gave me to. Uh, it does. I think it means that I get business cards, but it's a nice title, uh, to me. And I still have a moody email and all those kinds of things, but, uh, it's a very, very kind gesture and, start a new focus of radio ministry and things like that beginning July 1st. Teaching adjunct different places and especially at Moody. So that'll be kind of great. Uh, I'm looking forward to that. Um, you know, one of the things I'm really looking forward to is continuing radio with Open Line and being with you on a regular basis to study the scriptures together and see how, uh, God really gives us the answers that we're looking for in the Word of God. And I know a number of you listen all the time and and really are participants in the program, not just by calling in with questions, but by looking at the answers and engaging with that. If you are a regular, we really appreciate it. Uh, those of you who listen, also, there are many of you who give regularly, uh, and I appreciate that so much. And then there are others who have chosen to become kitchen table partners. They become part of the team. They want to keep us on the air, air every week by giving every month. And that is so appreciated. And if you're listening and you think I'd like to become a kitchen table partner too, I would appreciate that as well. Uh, what you have to do is call (888) 644-7122 or go to open line radio.org. And you can become a kitchen table partner. If you do, uh, we Trish and I produce a Bible study moment every other week. In your email, you get a audio Bible study designed exclusively for our kitchen table partners. It's a way that we can say thank you for being part of the team. And again, if you want to become a kitchen table partner, the phone number is 886447122 or go to open Line radio.org. We're going to talk to Wayne in Lexington, North Carolina. Listening online. Welcome to Open Line. Wayne. How can I help you?
S4: Hi. Thank you. Good morning, Michael, and thank you for your many faithful years of ministry. And may the Lord bless you as you transition. I have a family member who's wondering if he can be saved because he thinks Jesus might have been created from verses like Hebrews five five where God says of Christ, you are my son, today I have begotten you. So my question is, how are we to understand that you know, God the Son I believe, wasn't created. He's always existed in eternity past. But how do we explain that somebody and how does that view impact one's salvation?
S1: Well, it starts with understanding, as you say, that that God the Son existed eternally in John one one, in the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God. And that and then it says, God, that the word became flesh and dwelt among us. So that's talking about the Lord Jesus. Uh, that's one thing. Also in Colossians it says there was nothing made that he didn't make. And so that's crucial to understand. He's the eternal one. He's the creator. So and of course, it's not just Hebrews five which calls him the begotten one. Uh, the begotten Son of God. We know the very famous John 316. You know every football game. You see the guy there with the sign For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son. Right. That's John 316 that whosoever would believe in him should not perish but have everlasting life. Let's not forget that. So I think the root of the Hebrews five five quote really helps us if we go back to where it's from. It's from the book of Psalms. Arms. And in Psalm chapter two is where you get that from verse seven, I will declare the Lord's decree. He said to me, you are my son. Today I have become your father. Right. And that's actually today I have begotten you. It's literally how it's written in Hebrew. And that's where Hebrews is quoting it from Psalm two seven. Now Psalm two needs to be understood as an enthronement psalm, and what that means is at the king's coronation. This is not just true in Israel, but, uh, in throughout the ancient Near East. For example, in Egypt, when Pharaoh took the throne, even though he had existed, was alive before um, and was considered the son of one of the gods before, when he took the throne. When he was crowned king. A coronation song was sung declaring him to be come, the Son of God. And the same thing is true here in Psalm two. It is a declaration of his sonship at his coronation. This is an enthronement psalm. When he takes the throne, he is declared once again to be the only begotten of the father. It doesn't mean that's when he became the Son of God. It means that's when he takes his throne. And Psalm two is talking about this in terms of he is declared the Son of God, and it's talking about the day he takes the throne over Israel, sort of like what I talked about in the opening word about reigning from Jerusalem. That's when this is focused on Psalm two is talking about that day. But in Romans one, here, as I look at it, Romans one says, he was declared to be the Son of God with power through the resurrection. So, uh, verse four, and who has been declared to be the powerful Son of God by the resurrection from the dead according to the spirit of holiness? So there are there's not just one time when he is declared to be the only begotten. Uh, he is declared the only begotten son at his coronation. He will. That's when he will be. He was declared the Son of God at his resurrection. He was also declared the Son of God at his birth. Uh, when it says the the Annunciation to Mary, it says. That, uh, the child that was is in You will be called the Son of God because the Holy Spirit will come over you and this will be a miraculous birth. And he won't have a human father, and as a result, he will be declared the Son of God. That's what, um, uh, Luke chapter one, verse 35 says, The Holy Spirit will come upon you. The power of the Most High will overshadow you. Therefore the Holy One to be born will be called the Son of God. So there are lots of different times in the eternal ministry of the Son of God, that he is declared the Son of God, and to be the only begotten is, uh, when he is declared the Son of God at his enthronement. But he is always the son. He is forever the Son of God, not just at his birth, not just at his resurrection, not just at his enthronement, but eternally, the Son of God. Does that help at all, Wayne?
S4: That that helps a lot. Thank you so very much.
S1: Yeah I appreciate your call. That's something I think that can confuse people. Uh. So. Uh, we're going to talk to Wayne. That's it. I'm sorry. We just talked to Wayne. We're going to talk to Aaron in Florida, listening to keys. Welcome to Open Line. Aaron, how can I help you today?
S5: Yes. If Jesus was baptized to reveal his identity to Israel, to fulfill all righteousness and to enter a royal priesthood, what specifically does it mean to fulfill all righteousness? And I am referring to Matthew 315. In the middle of Matthew 313 through 17, where he gets baptized and he's rejected John, saying, I don't baptize you, you baptize me. But Jesus goes, no, we need to do this to fulfill all righteousness. I just don't understand what that means.
S1: Yeah, Well, uh, I'll tell you, there are a lot of different views as to what that would mean. Uh, some people think he has to fulfill all righteousness, uh, to be identifiable with sinners. I don't think that's what it's talking about. Uh, when the Lord Jesus is baptized, it's because he's entering the office as our great high priest. That's when he begins his public ministry. And so, because he's blending the public ministry in Exodus 40, verses 12 through 15, it describes the ritual washing, like baptism that the high priest goes through before he can enter into his role as high priest. And so what it what the Lord Jesus says is that he has to fulfill all righteousness. He has to fulfill the requirement of the law to become our great High priest. And that requires, when he enters into his public ministry as our great high priest, he has to be baptized. It's according to the law. He kept the law perfectly. That's how he fulfills all righteousness. And that's why he's our great high priest that represents us to the father. Because he did that, he fulfilled all righteousness. Thanks for your question, Mailbags coming up with Tricia, so don't go away. This is Michael Ray Olney on Open Line. Welcome back to Open Line. We're so grateful for the Far Eastern Broadcasting Company that they partner with Open Line to bring you the weekly Febc mailbag. It's a terrific organization. It brings the good news to people via media and personal engagement. Check out the Febc podcast until all have heard by going to Febc. That's Febc. And joining me right now with the Febc mailbag that she has put together is Tricia McMillan. Hey, Tricia.
S6: Hi. How are you?
S1: I am doing really well. I'm so glad to see you. It's been a couple of weeks. We haven't been together.
S6: I know we are. We got to have Mike Fabares in the studio with us a couple weeks ago. And, you know, I was on the mailbag last week with you.
S1: Yeah. Well, here's the thing. You were with Mike Fabares, and he was raving on the program. I listened to the program afterwards on the podcast, and he was talking about how wonderful you are. And I thought, I'm so glad that he said that, because I say it all the time how much even I love you. And, uh, and then I thought, well, people think I'm just biased. And so I'm glad that an independent source confirmed that you are indeed a wonderful person, so thank you. Hey, uh, I do have a. You remember I mentioned that I'm taking a group to Israel in September?
S6: Yes.
S1: Yeah, well, that we only have a couple more weeks to get people registered for that, and we have limited space available. We have like 11 or 12 spots left entirely for the trip. And, uh, and I thought, I better mention it to you now, I probably should have mentioned it when I talked in the opening word about walking around the walls of Jerusalem, but because we're going to walk all over Jerusalem. But, uh, just a I was thinking 11 or 12 spots. I don't remember what it was. Sarah, a friend of mine told me about that. But, uh, I think that people, if they're interested in going to Israel, they might be concerned. Is it safe? We're not going to go to any places where there's war. It's a safe place to go. We wouldn't go anyplace that's not safe. And it's a beautiful and really wonderful experience to see the Bible come alive. And you did that with me. I wanted you to mention that.
S6: I did, I did, it was wonderful. The teaching is just fantastic because at each of the spots you teach us something the Bible. Try to teach the Bible of something that either happened at that place or or was heard at that place, or will happen at that place. Yeah, it's really good. What are the dates of that trip?
S1: September 7th through the 18th. We're pretty excited about it. The best way to find out about the trip is go to Openline radio.org, and scroll down and click on the link. That's my personal web page. It says you can check out Michael's personal web page. That's where you can find the information about that trip. It's pretty exciting.
S6: And when I get off the air right now, like after this segment, when I get off the air, I can add a direct link to right on that main page so people can find it a little easier. That's great. I will do that. So good.
S1: Okay. Well, listen, we better answer some of these questions.
S6: Okay. Um, first question is from Jeffrey in Illinois. Listens to WNBA, wants to know in January 1st seven, Daniels name and the names of his three friends are changed from Hebrew to Chaldean. Um, he did look it up in the Moody Bible Commentary, and the meanings were different. And so their their Hebrew names meant God is my judge and God has been gracious. And who is what God is? And the Lord has helped two things that were more, um, Babylonian like Bel protect him and the command of Aku. Um, so in the remainder of the book, Daniel usually continues to get called Daniel, but Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, which were the Hebrew names, are now called Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, which we know from lots of songs even like we know those names. Why are they called by the Chaldean names? But Daniel continues to be called Daniel.
S1: Well, clearly, first of all, why were their names changed? I think it was an attempt to force them to assimilate, to abandon their faith of their fathers, the faith that they had of believing in l. Daniel. God is my judge. L is the name of the title of God. Their God is my judge. It means God. And then, for example, uh, he is changed to Belshazzar, which has the name Bel, which is a Babylonian god, and Aku is a Babylonian god. Nebo is a Babylonian god. So what what they were doing is trying to force them to assimilate to Babylonian religion.
S6: Which which even in those first the first chapter, when it's like they were trying to force them to eat the way that they ate to. And and Daniel did put up a fuss on that one. It was like, actually, can we. Yeah. Can we try it this way instead?
S1: They were resistant to assimilation. And then, of course, in chapter two they went by the the Jewish friends, three Jewish friends of Daniel. They resisted worshiping the false god. They wouldn't do it. And even though their names are being used, those are names that were given to them. It showed that they still wouldn't give in. They wouldn't worship Babylonian gods. They would only worship the God of Israel. And so that's a good thing. Now, why is it that Daniel is called Daniel? And, uh, I think Daniel's name is mentioned 75 times, and 65 of them are Daniel and ten. It's the Babylonian name, whereas the friends of his, they're only mentioned about 15 times, about five times with their Hebrew name and ten times with their Babylonian names. So I think that the, you know, no one knows the reason why Daniel is called by his Hebrew name predominantly, and they are not. But I would say, first of all, that they are not mentioned all that much. They're done in chapter two. Chapter three. They're done. Uh, the book goes on for nine more chapters and they're never mentioned again. So, uh, maybe if they were mentioned later on, they would be mentioned by their Hebrew names. But, uh, secondly, uh, they are mentioned. I think that the main reason is that Daniel was a very famous character by the time his book was accepted. He's mentioned in the book of Ezekiel. Uh, and so I think just for the sake of the readers, because he was a famous prophet, uh, in Israel, and the book was written really to Israel, they they decided to use the name just because he's the main character. Uh, the author, probably Daniel himself, said, I'm just going to use my name that everyone knows me by. Okay.
S6: And if.
S1: He.
S6: But and if he's.
S1: But we don't know for sure.
S6: Right. And if he's writing it, would that have have uh, would that also have played a part? Because that's what he is seeing himself as.
S1: I bet he called his. I bet he called his friends by their Hebrew names, too.
S6: That's probably so. Yeah.
S1: Yeah. I don't I don't know why, but I think it's because he was such a significant character and he was the main character of the book.
S6: Okay. All right. So thank you. Um, this one does not have to do. I don't think with the Bible, but Ellie in Illinois wanted to know when the Star of David became a symbol of the Jewish people.
S1: Well, it's it's quite ancient. Uh, as a symbol used by other cultures as well. If you go to. When we went to Capernaum, I don't know if anyone pointed it out to you. I know you went to Capernaum with me. But there's a star of David in the symbols in that town and the ancient Jewish town, uh, from the first century. So it's it's used, uh, quite often, but it really became clearly identifiable with the Jewish people in the Middle Ages. Um, in Czechoslovakia, for example, they, the Jewish people asked for permission to use it as their symbol from the government for the Jewish community in Czechoslovakia. Uh, so I would say that it was always used as somewhat of a symbol. It became known as the Shield of David. It was believed by the Jewish community in the early years of the after the beginning of the after the turn from pre BC to AD, so to speak. It became thought of as the shield of David, that it was a symbol of the house of David, but only in the Middle Ages was it adopted completely as a symbol of Israel.
S6: Okay. All right. Thank you. Uh, next question is from Lynn in Ohio. She listens to CRF, wants to know if you're a follower of Jesus, and the rapture happens at a different time than you believe it will. Uh, will you still go?
S1: That's sort of a partial rapture theory, you know? Uh, but the rapture is is going to happen, whatever we believe it. The Bible says that the Lord will descend. And he'll snatch us. That's the word that's used in first Thessalonians four. He'll snatch the body of believers. Uh, first, the dead in Christ will rise first. And then, uh, we'll be snatched up. And the the idea of a snatch means that I don't think that we have any consent. It just happens. And so whether a person believes it's that's the imagery here is someone I think it's going to be post-trib. And then it happens as a pre-tribulational rapture.
S6: Right?
S1: Sorry. You're going. You don't have to suffer. You're going to be taken out first. So.
S6: Right. And in that sense, it wouldn't be any different than if you don't believe that it will happen. And God God will still make it happen when he is planning to make it happen.
S1: Exactly. And you know, here's the thing that people say, well, what if, uh, the, uh, let's say because I happen to I think you are too. We're both really committed to the idea that the rapture will happen before the tribulation. It's not something I fight about, but it's something I believe. And then people say, well, what happens if you have to go through the tribulation? You know, you won't be prepared. I think, well, you're not going to be prepared either. Uh, who's prepared for such a thing? Uh, the this is how I'm prepared. Uh, in John 16, the Lord Jesus said, in this world you will have tribulation. But fear not. I have overcome the world. And that's it. If I trust in Jesus, it doesn't matter. Uh, if I was if I'm wrong about the pre-trib rapture, which I don't think I am. But if I was wrong, you know, I've got Jesus. He. I don't have to fear. He's overcome the world. I can depend on him. He'll take me through whatever it is I have to go through. And we have to be prepared, too. Because, you know, even without the tribulation, life is not that easy. So, uh. and some people think, oh, you become a believer. You never have any difficulties. I don't think that's true. Jesus didn't think that was true. Uh, but we have the person who goes through it with us, and that's what what matters.
S6: But even more prepared than that. Like, we may not be prepared for the full tribulation, but how can we even be prepared to go up into the rapture?
S1: Well, here's the way we're prepared. This is it. It's simple. Uh, we have to recognize that we're separated from God because of the wrong things we do. But Jesus died to take the punishment for those wrong things. Then he was raised again, proving it was all true. And then, uh, after he was raised, uh, he ascended to the father. What we have to do is believe in his, uh, substitution for us, uh, believe that he can give us new life because he is alive. So all we have to do is trust him. It's a simple prayer. I would invite you if you've never made that decision to be ready, because we can see him tonight. You know, it may it may be today that the Lord will call us home and not at the rapture. We have to be ready to meet him. Just put your trust in him. Just tell him I know I've done things wrong. And that separates me from you, father. But I know the Lord Jesus took the punishment I deserved in his death. And now he's alive, and he's going to forgive my sin forever. And I can have a forever relationship with you. Then we'll be ready for anything. Uh, for. For facing God or the rapture or whatever it is. Uh, that that's what prepares us.
S6: Yeah. Yeah. And you can do that wherever you are. You'll be driving in your car, sitting at home, gardening out, getting groceries.
S1: Cleaning the house.
S6: Cleaning.
S1: The house, which is what everyone seems to do during open line. So I hope you'll make that decision. Uh, we're going to take a break here, but I appreciate so much, uh, putting the mailbag together. You'll be back next hour with more questions, Right, Tricia? Yes. Okay. Uh, this is open line. That was Tricia McMillan. She's the producer of Open Line. I'm Michael Ray Melnick. I am the one that tries to answer your questions every week. Uh, stay with us. We're going to be back with more of your questions in just a moment. Welcome back to Open Line, having a great time with you as we study the scriptures together. You know, people frequently have questions about the Jewish people in Israel. Uh, this is a program about Bible. It's about the questions people have about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. And yet I think maybe because of our partner, Chosen People Ministries, maybe because I'm a messianic Jew, uh, I get a lot of questions about Israel and the Jewish people and where do they fit in the plan of God and and Chosen People Ministries, one of our radio partners, recognized that those questions are there. So they are offering a booklet called Why Israel that explores the topic of Israel through the lens of Scripture. Has the church replaced Israel and the plan of God? Does Israel have a future? What about what should we think about Israel today? This book answers those questions, and if you'd like a free copy, call what you need to do. The free copy is the book of Why Israel. Go to the Open Line Radio website. Open Line radio.org. That's our website, open Line radio.org. And scroll down you'll see a link that says a free gift from Chosen People Ministries. Click on that, and that will take you to a page where you can sign up for your own copy of Why Israel? Uh, we're going to talk related to this, uh, to Marlene in Chattanooga, Tennessee, listening on Wmw. Welcome to Open Line, Marlene. How can I help you?
S7: Thank you. My question is, um, can the words God spoke to Israel in the Old Testament? Uh. As an example, Isaiah 4110. Do not fear, for I'm with you. Can we claim those as believers today? All those wonderful promises?
S1: Well, the answer is no. And yes. How's that? Marlene? Uh, some. There is a sense where we can. And a sense that we can't. So let me go to the most famous one that people ask. Okay. Uh, it's, uh, Jeremiah 2911. I know the plans I have for you. This is the Lord's declaration. Plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. Well, that sounds like a wonderful promise for us to claim, right? But the the context there says that I'm going to send you to Babylon for 70 years as discipline for your disobedience. Through the years under the law. Right. So clearly, this is something that's for Israel. God sending them to Babylon 70 years captivity. And but that's part of God's good plan. So the answer is no, that's not for us. On the other hand. Uh, let me ask you this, Marlene. Do you think if we neglect God, will he discipline us? Marlene?
S7: Yes. Are you there? He will.
S1: Yeah. Of course he will. So it. Would it be true for us, too, that if, uh. If God disciplines us, he still has a good plan in our lives so we can quote it and claim it? What do you think?
S7: Yes. He will.
S1: Yeah, of course we will. So that's how it's applicable to us. Uh, it's not directly written to us, but it's applicable. Same thing. If you go to Isaiah 41, the verse that you cited. It's really for Israel. But the Lord Jesus said, uh, the book of Hebrews tells us he will never leave us or forsake us. And so when he says in Isaiah 41 to Israel that that he's with them, you know, the truth of it is, if we've become followers of Jesus, he's with us too. And we don't we don't have to fear. So as long as we understand that the promises are applied to us, but not necessarily written directly to us. I think in that sense we can apply them in our lives as well. Uh, is that does that help you with this?
S7: Yeah. Another one is if my people will pray. I've always heard that is for Israel. Uh, just Israel. Yeah.
S1: Well, uh, the second Chronicles, 714. Uh, where it calls for a revival. Well, that really is talking about Israel. Uh, and the application is not the United States. The application would be for followers of Jesus, uh, for our congregations. That's where the application lands. Uh, it doesn't say, uh, that the United States will be revived if we turn to him. What it's saying. Not that God doesn't want us to, but it says if my people who are called by my name, that's Israel, humble themselves, pray and seek my face and turn from their evil ways, then I will hear from heaven, forgive their sin and heal their land. Well, that's talking about Israel. However, if followers of Jesus, uh, turn the local congregations, let's say near the churches have, uh, turned cold. If they will repent in this way, then God will restore their congregations. Uh, it's not a promise that can be applied by the United States. Okay.
S7: Well, thank you so much, Michael. Your program's wonderful.
S1: Well. Thank you. You're very kind. I appreciate that. Uh, uh, thanks for your call, Marlene. We're going to talk to Tony in West Chicago, Illinois, listening on wmbi. Welcome to Open Line, Tony. How can I help you?
S8: To understand what it is about the translation you mentioned frequently that you use, um, that you feel is, uh, more interesting or more, uh, maybe clear or more trustworthy in some way?
S1: Yeah. Well, uh, first of all, I use a lot of translations. I look up stuff all the time. Uh, and I read from, you know, when I'm studying, I use multiple translations, Uh, and often will will look at Hebrew and Greek and make my own translation. Uh, sometimes my students joke that there should be a translation because I keep saying, this is how I would translate this. Uh, but there's a technical kind of word for word kind of translation, like the new American Standard. That's very helpful in study. There's a dynamic equivalence translation, like the New Living Translation, which is good for speedy reading. You know, if you want to read, uh, things quickly, uh, and then there's the other possibility that, uh, you might want something that balances easy reading with accuracy. And I think that's what the Holman CSB does. It's why I like it. So, uh, I hope that helps. We're going to be back in just a moment. This is open line with Michael Ray Holman.