S1: Take care and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions. Luke 1215. Hi, I'm Rob West. In a culture of instant gratification, it has never been easier to get what we want when we want it, even if we can't afford it, but at what cost? Today we'll explore the hidden dangers of buy now, pay later programs. Then it's on to your calls at 800, 500, 25, 7000. This is faith in finance. Live biblical wisdom for your financial decisions. Well, we've talked before about buy now, pay later options, BNPL for short and how they often lure folks into debt. But what was once reserved for large purchases is now showing up in surprising places like your next fast food run. Believe it or not, DoorDash now allows users to split food orders into four equal payments. Yes, your cheeseburger, fries, and drink can now be financed. If that reminds you of the old Popeye cartoons and the character wimpy saying, I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today, you're not alone. The difference is, wimpy was a joke. DoorDash is real, and the idea that you'd need a payment plan for a sandwich that's not just humorous, it's alarming. Buy now, pay later has moved far beyond furniture and electronics. It's baked into the apps we use every day, from fashion retailers to grocery delivery. Klarna, Afterpay, affirm, zip, Sezzle and PayPal are just a few of the major players fueling the rise of pay later options. In fact, according to Experian, more than 80% of U.S. shoppers have used some form of buy now, pay later programs. The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has already warned that users who buy now and pay later are more likely to carry multiple balances, overdraft their accounts and experience financial stress. Why? Well, because it feels easy. It doesn't feel like debt when you're just approving four easy payments, but multiple purchases across several platforms can quickly stack up, and you don't realize the wait until it's too late. And make no mistake, these programs aren't interest free forever. Many of these services charge interest rates as high as 36% if payments are missed or extended. Let's look at a practical example. Say you order $60 of takeout through DoorDash and choose the pay later option. Well, that's $15 every two weeks. But if you're doing this with multiple meals a week and a couple of other online purchases, well, that adds up fast. Suddenly, your affordable splurges are competing with your rent. Or imagine buying a $3,000 couch through a buy now, pay later service. If you miss a payment, interest kicks in and now you're making minimum payments at 25% interest, that couch could end up costing nearly $8,000 after all is said and done. So what does Scripture have to say about this? Well, first, the Bible repeatedly warns us about the dangers of debt. Proverbs 22 seven tells us the borrower is the slave of the lender. And that's not just financial. It's emotional and spiritual too. Debt can bring unnecessary stress to your life. Distract your heart, and divide your devotion to God. Second, we must examine why we're tempted by these offers. Do we really need the item or are we just chasing convenience, comfort, or status? Are we acting from faith or impulse? In Philippians 411 through 13, Paul writes, I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. True contentment isn't found in the ability to purchase. It's found in trusting God to meet our needs. So how do we respond? Well, practically build margin. If you want something like a couch, a new laptop, or even a nice meal, budget for it. Save in advance. Set up an automatic transfer into a want category and pay with cash when the time comes. You'll enjoy the purchase so much more when it's not followed by regret. And for those everyday cravings like takeout or impulse buys, try setting a weekly cash limit. Once it's gone, it's gone. The second way to respond is spiritually. Ask God to help you examine your heart. Are you trusting him with your provision or trying to manufacture your own comfort? Is your spending a reflection of contentment or a cover for something deeper? So the next time you see a pay in four button under your cart, pause. Ask yourself, do I really need this? Am I able to pay for it in full? And most importantly, does this reflect trust in God or trust in a payment plan? Avoiding unnecessary debt isn't just about protecting your finances, but also about protecting your freedom to live generously. All right, your calls are next. The number 800 525 7000. That's 800 525 7000. This is faith in finance. Live. We'll be right back. Stick around.
S2: The opinions offered during this program represent the personal or professional opinions of the participants, given for informational purposes only. Any information provided is not intended to replace advice from a financial, medical, legal, or other professional who understands your specific situation.
S3: Thanks for joining us today on Faith in finance live here on Moody Radio. I'm Rob West. As you can tell, my voice is a bit scratchy today. I feel great. Uh, just don't sound great, but nevertheless, looking forward to taking your calls and questions so long as my voice holds up today. You can call right now with your question. Whatever's on your mind today, 800 525 7000. Again, that's 800 525 7000. You can call right now. Um, before we head to those phones in the news today, uh, two Republican proposals could change how Americans save by offering tax incentives to encourage more savings. They're called MAGA and USA accounts. MAGA, supposedly short for money, account for growth and advancement and USA for universal savings account. Now, what are these in a nutshell? Well, the Well. The MAGA account proposes a $1,000 contributions from the federal government for every baby born between 2025 and 2028, whose parents have Social Security numbers. This is intended to foster financial literacy and encourage early investment in the stock market. Additional contributions of up to $5,000 annually could come from family, friends, and nonprofits. Funds could be used for qualified expenses like education or business startups, or home purchasing, while earning tax at lower rates. Uh Magas could be an alternative to a 529 plan, offering a bit more flexibility for withdrawals. Now, the Universal Savings Account, or USA account would offer tax advantaged savings to all US citizens, resembling perhaps a Roth IRA, but with fewer restrictions. Contributions could be made up to $10,000 initially, with a $25,000 annual cap. Supporters believe both plans could increase savings participation, though critics argue they mostly benefit the wealthy, although we've heard that before. Of course, the one big, beautiful budget bill you're hearing so much about will have to be passed with those provisions still in it for the president to sign it into law. So still a long ways to go, even though we've heard, uh, recently, in the last few days that that's been making some progress through the house. A lot remains to be seen about what happens when it gets to the Senate, and ultimately, what might get to the president's desk. We will certainly keep you posted, but very interesting. And I love the idea of additional vehicles to foster savings and investments. All right. We're ready to take your calls. Again, uh, sorry about my scratchy voice, but delighted to be with you today. Here's our goal to help you see money as a good gift from God. To give, to enjoy, to invest, to use for God's purposes, to bring him glory. To see God as your ultimate treasure, but also to help you heed the counsel of Scripture and apply that to the very practical decisions you're making on a daily basis in your financial life. So do you have a call? Excuse me? If you have a question, call right now. 800 525 7000. Let's begin today in Jonesboro, Georgia. Hey, Howard. Go ahead.
S4: Hey, Rob. Thanks for taking my call. Sure. The question I have is that, uh, my spouse and her brother are in the process of receiving an inheritance from an aunt that passed away in Jamaica. And, um, the question that I wanted to ask of you is, will the funds that they'll be receiving be subject to inheritance tax here in the US?
S3: Yeah. Good news. There is no inheritance tax at a federal level in the United States. Uh, so when it comes to inheritance. Um, you know, there could be, uh, estate tax. Although if they're in the state of Georgia, there would not be. But essentially, um, you know, the estate would be the one responsible. So this would be the person that passed away, the estate of the person that's providing the inheritance for any taxes due, uh, on the Jamaican property. But as far as an inheritance tax, there is none. Uh, so essentially, your wife and her brothers, $125,000 inheritance, uh, is free from U.S. federal and Georgia state inheritance taxes, if that's where they reside. Uh, the estate, you know, handles those, uh, those taxes before distribution. Now, what you would probably want them to check on is there's probably a filing that would need to be done with the IRS because the inheritance exceeds $100,000 in one particular year. This is not, you know, anything that has to be filed because there's a tax due. It's really more of a reporting. Uh, you know, document, I believe it's 3520. And it has to do with receiving that foreign gift. But again, no taxes due as a result of that. So they should be in the clear.
S4: Excellent. And what is that phone number you said form.
S3: Yeah. 3520. Um, and again you'll probably want to consult with a tax professional to ensure that that uh, is, is filed properly and then verify if Jamaica deducted any taxes from the estate side before the distribution.
S4: Right, right. Okay. Thank you so much, Rob. I appreciate.
S3: It.
S4: You're welcome.
S3: I hope she gets better. Thank you. Howard, I appreciate that. God bless you, sir. Uh, 800 525 7002 Spokane. Hey, RJ. Go ahead.
S4: Hey.
S5: Sorry I had to take you off loop there.
S3: No problem.
S5: So the situation is, my fiance and I were about to get married and we're trying to figure out what to do about, like merging the two homes, right? Two sets of households, two different houses. Um, but the disagreement comes where, um, I'm relatively debt free. I just have my mortgage. Um, I want to sell the second house and use that to pay off a lot of the debts. Like her HELOC, her two cars, some credit cards. Um, but she wants to keep the home and use it as a rental. So I think she's maybe looking at it as more of a long term investment, where I guess the disagreement that's happening right now is that I would rather get everything paid off and then take that extra money that's no longer going towards those payments and start pushing it towards retirement.
S3: Yeah. Yeah. Well, it's a it's a great question. And I think this kind of um, surfaces perhaps an initial bigger Conversation, which is just to make sure as a part of your premarital process, you guys are talking through a whole host of issues, but certainly related to finances, recognizing that, you know, we come with different backgrounds, different bents and wirings money was handled differently growing up, invariably. And that informs how we handle money today. And so merging that involves a lot of conversation. I think just to get on the same page about what is our lifestyle going to look like and how are we going to approach debt, and what about saving, and what about our giving and generosity? And how does that fit in? And certainly this would be one of those conversations. So I'm delighted to hear your thinking through that. Um, you know, I would be more inclined with you guys starting out, especially with there being a couple of mortgages on this potential rental that increases financial risk. And, you know, if you all don't have the means by which to fund retirement in a tax deferred environment, Apart from selling this house and freeing up that additional those additional resources, and given that we may be headed into a recession and, you know, that could affect your ability to put a renter in there. I mean, the last thing I would want is for you all to be starting your marriage with some financial stresses and clearly taking on a second home, even though I have no problem with rental properties. I love real estate as an investment, but you've got to be ready for it, both from a cash flow standpoint in terms of funding your lifestyle and other expenses, and covering the debt service if you don't have a renter. Um, but also just the elevated risk that comes from having a couple of mortgages on it. So I would lean more in your direction. Let's do this though. We've got to take a break. So I'll give you some follow up questions to ask after this. Stay with us. Great to have you with us today on Faith in finance. Live. I'm Rob West again with a scratchy voice today, but still taking your calls and questions feel good. Just don't sound great. Hey, before the break we were talking to A.J. in Spokane. He and his fiance are getting married next year, which is amazing. Uh, they're merging their assets together and wondering if they should retain, uh, two properties. One, that they would live in his place, but then her place, which has two mortgages on it currently, she would like to hang on to that and use it as a rental. Uh, A.J. would like to go ahead and sell that and use the money that they free up from that to begin to fund long term investments for retirement. Uh, A.J., I shared a bit of my thoughts on that. I would tend to be more conservative, especially with the high debt service you'll likely have. We can talk about some rules of thumb just to evaluate the merits of this property, and whether or not you should keep it. But even before that, uh, just talk to me about your situation. Um, you know, are you requiring the the rental income to service the debt and other expenses on that property, or would you once you combine your finances?
S5: So the plan is, um, I think the payment on that property would roughly be the mortgage payment would roughly be about 14. 1400 a month. Houses in that area typically go for around 2800 for rentals. Um, so but I don't know specifically what the the payment is on the HELOC. But the other thing that makes me nervous is, um, in speaking over this, because we talk a lot about planning for the future, um, I believe that HELOC goes variable in 2027.
S1: And so that's.
S5: That's the issue that really worries me. And that combined with maybe Covid, you know, I had friends that had rentals during Covid and in this state, like, um, Um, they would not allow you to evict anybody during that time. So, uh, I had many friends that almost went belly up because they had several houses where people were just living there and not paying, paying any of them the rent.
S3: Yeah. No, that makes sense. What about, uh, savings? What would you all have in the way of savings once you combine your finances?
S5: Um, probably about 90,000, 90 to 100,000 in savings.
S3: Okay. And then do you all have any retirement accounts started currently?
S5: Uh, she has, like, a pension. She works for the state. And then I have 401 K through through my job.
S3: Okay. And what percent of your income are you putting in?
S5: Uh, towards 401 K?
S1: Yeah.
S5: Uh, right now I'm putting in about 8%.
S3: Okay. And then are they matching on top of that?
S5: Yeah, they're well, they're matching dollar for dollar, up to six, which is pretty good.
S3: Are you getting a total of 14 going in with the employer match?
S5: Uh, I believe, I believe, yes, I believe that's correctly how it works. But they pay out the match like, every quarter.
S3: Yeah, yeah. Okay. No, that's great though. Well, you guys are doing great. I mean, you got a pension. I would say 10 to 15% going into the 401 K doesn't have to be monthly is the goal. Um, you know, that's awesome. So you're doing well there. You've got plenty of liquid savings. So that's a really strong financial position. Um, and you know, typically I would look for the rental income to cover two times all the costs, one and a half to two times, let's just say two times to keep it easy. Uh, so that'd be the mortgage plus the taxes, plus the maintenance. Um, so you're probably close to that, although you may not be fully there if you pull, you know, everything in. And that's assuming you have a renter, which, you know, depending on. I mean, that's an unknown. Uh, we can make an educated guess on that. But, you know, if we were to get into a recession, obviously I, you know, the the pandemic obviously is a once in 100 year event. I would think that's a pretty low risk in terms of there being a scenario like that where somebody who is not paying couldn't be evicted, um, you know, for reasons like you're describing. But I would put a lot of stock in just the, the rental income and the ratio of that to all of the expenses and then your ability to have plenty of reserves, which it sounds like you do. Um, what kind of equity do you have in that home if you were to sell it?
S5: Um, so I think just a little under 200 K is what's owed on it. But the last one that sold down the street, I think, sold for 467, uh, roughly same size, same layout.
S3: Yeah. And then what would you do with that money?
S5: Uh, probably pay off like, uh, credit cards? Um, Obviously the HELOC and then two vehicles.
S3: Got it okay. Yeah. And so I mean, you know, you could go either way on this. I mean, I certainly can appreciate what you're saying, especially with that added risk of that lock going variable. Um, when you put all the costs in the two mortgages plus the, uh, you know, the maintenance, the taxes and the insurance, you may not be quite there. You know how strong that housing market is in terms of its you know, how easy you could rent it, at least in this environment. Certainly it could turn down on us. And so we've got to factor that in. I think the next step, even though we may be able to make the numbers work on paper, is for you to evaluate. Number one, what are our values? And I think that this is perhaps the next conversation. You know, if money is a tool to accomplish God's purposes, we want to align our goals with our deeply held values as Christ followers and say, you know what? What do we want to be true about us in the future? And how can money be a tool to accomplish that? How important is it for us to be debt free? What do we want to be able to do with our giving? How much is enough and how much should we be saving? You know, for the future. Do we have any other goals? Um, you know, I think those are the kinds of things. And anytime debt is involved, I really think spousal unity is key. And that really may be the deal breaker here is that, you know, you guys are continuing to carry debt. And if you guys don't feel good about that as as a couple and it sounds like she's more comfortable with it than you are, I would say that might be a reason right there to say, you know what? Because we have the ability to be debt free. And that's just a real conviction for me. And I'm talking about you at this point. Then, you know, I think that might be the thing where you say, you know, I would like to have the option for us to go ahead and just pay everything off. I think the peace of mind that comes with that, our ability to free up a lot of cash flow, to perhaps even go into another property down the road. But to think in terms of what are our other priorities and values and how could we accomplish those with these and, and just reduce risk overall and not have an added part time job of being a landlord. You know, I think that's the conversation that you need to have. And I realize it's easier to say that to you because that's the direction you want to go. She's the one that you know needs to get on board with this. But I would approach the conversation that way. Start by making it a values conversation. Talk through what both of you want to approach this. Pray through it and see if you can't make a decision together. I hope that helps, RJ. God bless you and congratulations. We'll be right back. Great to have you with us today on Faith in finance. Live. Forgive my scratchy voice here. Today we're continuing to take your calls and questions. Let's go right back to the phones. To Florida. We go. Hi, Ruth. Thanks for calling. Go ahead.
S6: Oh, hi, Bob. God bless your program. First of all.
S3: Thank you very.
S6: Much. Um, second, uh, Thank you for being there even though you are not sounding that great. Thank you. That helped you to be there.
S3: I appreciate.
S6: It. I want to make this quick question. Um, um, I am trying to finish grilling next year. Finish paying my house. I told the lady I have a 20 and change still balance. Now I know when I asked the machine to make a payment, sometimes the tape says, um, this is not the payoff amount. So I don't know what that means. I thought that my balance is what I hear and what it is right now, but seems like it's different. But the question I'm calling is because I heard people houses are being stolen with them in it. In other words, they've been sold and they don't even know it. So I was thinking, if I get one of these honor titles insurance, Students. Would that protect me from something like this to happen? And who? What lawyers do I go to do this with?
S3: Yeah. Yeah. Very good. Um, let me address the first part first. And that is your mortgage balance is the principal you owe the payoff amount. Is that plus accrued interest fees and any escrow adjustments, it could run from 2 to 100 to a dollars to $1,000. So you are going to want to get a payoff statement from your lender to see the exact difference. Uh, you know, to make that payoff, which, you know, may be a little bit different than the number you're seeing on your statement. So that's perhaps the the difference there in terms of what you're talking about here. Uh, you're talking about basically where somebody would commit, commit a fraudulent transfer, um, of your, of your deed. It's an unauthorized and a fraudulent transfer that would, you know, essentially cause them to be able to take out a loan against your property. But at the end of the day, it's fraud. And what you're talking about is not necessarily what's considered title insurance. You see, title insurance is a one time policy you buy when purchasing the home to protect against title issues. And it's for the benefit, you know, of that particular the lender is going to require it, and it just makes sure that you have a clear title that's paid for at closing. It's one and done. What you're talking about is what's often called title lock insurance or a title lock. And it's not actually insurance at all. It's basically a monitoring service that monitors your home's deed. And there's no heightened, um, you know, risk of this happening. Um, you know, when you pay off the loan versus when you have a mortgage, it can happen in both cases. I guess it's more common when the homes free and clear, because they can easily then add a second or adding a new mortgage and that's typically what they're after. But the the title lock is somewhat of a misnomer because essentially, uh, you know, there's no financial protection necessarily. Um, you know, for you, it provides limited value because it notifies you essentially after the fraud occurs. And it's unnecessary because, um, you know, you can essentially contact your county records office and often they will allow you to place an alert on your file so that if there were any changes to your title, that you would be alerted anyway. And that's typically free. Um, so I just think it's an unnecessary expense. Now, if you have surplus, and it would give you peace of mind to know that you have this additional monitoring 24 over seven where they can notify you of a deed filing or a lead, uh, a lien on your property and potentially catch that fraud early. Then you know, that's no problem. But it's not going to prevent it. It's just going to alert you that it happened so that you can begin to take steps to rectify the situation. Does that make sense?
S6: Yes. But then I have already been. Something is called alert for I live in a retirement section, but. So you understand. Yes. This is appraisal department and has a letter while back telling us to just go register for this alert service. So if anything goes into the appraisal department then they will let us know. But that doesn't stop them from doing the selling of my house. So that's what I was wondering. What else can I do? I mean, if they don't stop it, how can even you? How can you even still the house? It's just breaks.
S3: My. Well, it would be. It's a very low it's a very low risk and it's fraud. And typically what happens is if this were to happen, they would essentially fraudulently transfer your deed, which again isn't easy to do, but it does happen. And then typically they wouldn't try to sell it because you would know if somebody's, you know, trying to buy your home. Essentially what they would do is, is take out a loan against it. And then when they we didn't pay it, then you would be notified by the lender, you know, that, uh, maybe with a certified letter that they're going to foreclose. Well, at that point you would be able to say this was fraudulent conveyance. This, you know, this is my home. I can I have title to it. My deed was transferred fraudulently. And at that point no insurance is going to help you. You would just have to, you know, go through the court process to prove that it's your property. And and it would be unwound. Um, so again, this is very low risk. Uh, essentially you've already got the alert on it, and that's about the best thing you can do at this point.
S6: And and I do have a living trust, too. So because I noticed I've been going into the real trust list because I heard someone found his lot for sale not knowing. And so now every other month, I go check in and see if my house is for sale in there. And it is. It is there and it is. It says how much I pay. In fact, when I got it, I mean, but it doesn't say it's for sale, so.
S3: I'm.
S6: Just checking. I mean, I just yeah.
S3: I wouldn't worry about that. Ruth. Yeah. Don't don't lose sleep over that. I wouldn't it's not something you need to check regularly. It's going to be in Zillow and on these other sites because it's a part of the public record. All that information is available as to through the through the public record of what you paid for it and what the assessed value is. And, and each time it was bought or sold that would be listed there. That's just going to be available for every home. Um, and I wouldn't worry too much about somebody trying to sell it from under you. So it sounds like you've taken the steps you need to take. And I think at this point, you need to let it go. And and obviously, if they alert you at any point that somebody's trying to, you know, steal the deed to your home, well, then you could take action. But again, that is a very, very low risk. We appreciate your call today. I hope that helps you. Thanks for being on the program. Let's go to Indiana. Hi, David. Go ahead.
S7: Yeah. Hi, Rob. Thanks for taking my call. The question I had was investing within a workplace. HSA. Do you have any advice on that? I have, um, half the money is in cash, and then half of it is in a 2030 fund. And I was wondering if there are some other options in there. And I was wondering if maybe the just the basics would apply to HSA also.
S3: Oh, you're talking about sound mind investing. Yeah, yeah. No, it absolutely could I would say you'd want to keep 1 to 2 years of expected medical expenses in the, the cash or the savings options, uh, to cover deductibles or emergencies and then treat the rest for growth. And I would approach that just like I'd approach an IRA because it's really long term investment money that's going to go alongside your retirement assets. So I'd approach that with the same diversification. Uh, and the just the basics a low cost ETF strategy would be a great option for that. Hang on the line. We'll finish off the air. We'll be right back on Faith in finance Live. Thanks for joining us today on Faith and Finance Live I'm Rob West. Let's head right back to the phones. Miami Florida is where we're headed next. Hi, Johnny. Go ahead.
S8: Yeah Yes. Good afternoon. Ron. Thank you for taking my call. Um. I'm in. I wanted to know. I have a taxable money market account, and I could move it to a non-taxable money market account, which, uh. What? I would like to know if the non-taxable money market account, the annual percentage rate. How low? Uh, can it be? What's the difference? It can be. So where I could break even, considering that being non-taxable, I wouldn't be paying taxes on the interest.
S3: Yeah. I mean, the simple approach to that, Johnny. And it's a great question. I like the way you're thinking. The simple approach would just be to look at, um, when the yield beats your taxable accounts after tax return, then you might want to switch to a non-taxable money market. So if your taxable account earns 5%, you need a non-taxable April of at least. Well, in the 24% bracket, let me just. Yeah. So you would need a non taxable Apr of at least 3.8% with no state tax to break even or earn even more. And then you could look at maybe a muni fund yield like Vanguard or one of the others. Um, you know, that uh, could be a comparable option, but that would be the way I would calculate that. Does that make sense?
S8: Yeah. So roughly, uh, one and a half percentage point.
S3: Yeah. Based on the 24% bracket, I would say 1.5% would be about right. Uh, yes. It may be a little less than that. Maybe one and a quarter.
S8: Okay. Well, thank you very much. And, uh, I hope you, uh, get well soon. Thank you.
S3: Thank you. Johnny, I appreciate that. Uh, let's go to Indiana. Hi, Renee. How can I help?
S9: Hi, Rob. My name is Renee. I'm calling. Um, first of all, just thank you for taking my call. My husband and I are approaching a situation where we could definitely use. He was in a car accident last year. I truly thank God that he didn't, you know, have any real injuries from it, but, um, a car was totaled, and we're just now hearing back from lawyers, and he's going to get a $20,000 settlement from it. But we're trying to decide, like, what to do with it. We have about 100 K in debts, which includes student loans, one car payment, mortgages, credit card debts, and, you know, different things like that. We, um, we mortgaged our home. We owe about $6,000 on that. And we took out a HELOC loan to do some repairs one year, which is about 25,000 or so. And, um, we're just trying to get the best advice because I want to sell a home, but we stay in now so that we can dissolve whatever debts that we have left with the equity from the home after we use the 20 K, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. And that's why I'm calling in today to try to get your advice on what we should do.
S3: Yeah. Very good. What do you own? The student loan.
S9: My student loans. His was dissolved because he's a public service employee. Um, but I owe about 35 K.
S3: Okay. And then you have a car loan. What is that?
S9: Um, I owe about 25 K on the car.
S3: All right. What is the interest rate?
S9: The interest rate is about 8%.
S3: Okay. And then how much on credit cards?
S9: Total credit cards is about Mhm. 60 K.
S3: Okay. Wow. Yeah. And so that's obviously up 20% plus I would imagine. Huh.
S9: Mhm.
S3: Okay. And then do you all have any savings apart from this settlement you're going to receive.
S9: Right now we have about 3000 in savings.
S3: Okay. And do you have any surplus or are you just spending every dollar every month just to service the debt and pay your expenses?
S7: Yes.
S9: No surplus. We actually. Negative.
S7: Yeah.
S9: Surplus.
S3: Okay. All right. And so what options are you considering at this point?
S9: Considering possibly to sell our current home and pull the equity to dissolve any other debts at the 20 K? Don't cover, like, as far as the credit cards, um, it's concerned, at least try to get the credit card debt down. Um, and that's really the only thing we explore, and maybe even just cutting back on unnecessary things. But it's just worth paying so much out a month towards these cards.
S3: Yeah. No, I get it. And just what is that house.
S9: Worth spending right now? The house is worth about 220,000 and we owe 65 on it.
S3: Plus the 25.
S9: Mhm.
S3: Yeah. So you, you have 90,000 between the two loans. So you'd net 130. And then where would you live. Would you go rent something.
S9: Well we were thinking about just possibly buying another home somewhere else in Indiana.
S3: Yeah. The challenge is I mean, in this housing market, uh, I mean, you could, you know, you'd get obviously probably a good amount coming out of your existing home. Uh, you'd have 130,000 in equity. But if you go into this next home, I mean, what would have you have you looked around to see if you downsize size, what you could find that would be reasonable in a location that's safe, that that meets your needs, that's more modest. Do you have any idea what that might cost? Have you have you done any legwork on that?
S9: I've done some legwork, and it's about, you know, those homes are still going for about 300,000. Like, even.
S3: Yeah.
S9: You know.
S3: So that doesn't.
S9: Help.
S3: Yeah. So that that's actually going to make things worse because now you have all the expenses of selling it because you got the realtor fee and, and all the transaction costs, and then you got the fees to go in and buy it, and then now you're buying something bigger. And so now we're in a, in even a more difficult situation, and perhaps even with a higher interest rate on that first mortgage. So I don't think that's the option. I think at this point, you know, we've just got to really start to look at that budget and just say, what can we do to get on a track to dial back spending if it's possible? And I don't, you know, I haven't seen all the numbers, so I have no idea. But, you know, we'd probably want to put those. I mean, your options are number one, sell the the property and rent and basically start over, wipe out all the debt. And, you know, you'd have after you paid off the all of the debt because it looks like you have about 120,000 in debt after the realtor fees. I mean, you're you're basically, you know, you may not even be able to pay off fully the student loans, the car and the credit cards. Um, you know, because after expenses on the 220,000, uh, if that's your selling price, you're not going to, you know, necessarily net 220. Uh, but let's say you could pay everything off. Now you've you're completely debt free, but all you have to your name is 3000 in savings. So you're starting over. Um, and, you know, at that point, you'd have to make your budget work based on that. And if you don't have the disciplines that, you know, perhaps led to the the debt in the first place, the credit cards in particular, then there's no reason to believe we're not going to be back in that situation. Uh, you know, a year from now with a bunch of credit card debt, except now you don't have a home and, you know you're in a worse situation. So I think the first step before you do anything, including selling the home, is to get you with one of our certified financial counselors, if you'd be willing to work with them and they'll give you a, you know, a few sessions over the phone we'll pay for, it won't cost you anything, but essentially, they'd help you work through your budget and a spending plan and see if you guys can get to a place where you can cut back, you know, show, demonstrate that you're willing to live within your means, free up some margin on a monthly basis. And if you can, then I think at that point we could look at, okay, maybe we slide all these credit cards into a debt management program with our friends at Christian Credit Counselors, which would get the interest rates down, which would put, you know, have a lot more of the monthly payment going to principal reduction. And even though it's going to be a slow process, at least now you're working towards something that is going to preserve the home, meaning you're still going to have the home to show for this at the end of it, and you're on a track to actually paying off the credit cards, which would be, you know, the next priority or the first priority all the while, you know, paying the minimums on the student loans and the car. But I think the biggest issue is you're developing those habits that's going to serve you well in the future, so that once you get out from the credit card debt, we never go back there again. And you guys are on a different trajectory at this point. Does that make sense?
S9: Yeah, that makes sense. And that's my that's been our prayer. Like I don't know if you could pray for me now, but the prayer is to have more discipline when it comes to spending and not living beyond our means.
S3: Yeah. That's right. And listen, it's easier said than done. I get it, Renee. And and there's no judgment here. We all struggle, you know, with this in different ways. But I think it starts with you understanding God owns it all. And you're a steward and I'm a steward, and we're to be held to account to the Lord for how we manage his money. And that means we gotta live within his provision, even though the world will allow us to live outside of it with debt. We've got to reject that. We've got to be willing to to live within his his means. And, you know, that's a commitment that you have to make. And you and your husband need to be on the same page about that. If I covered the cost of a few sessions with one of our certified Christian financial counselors, would you do it?
S9: Yes I would.
S3: Okay. All right, let's do that. That's going to be our gift to you, and we'll get somebody in touch with you. They'll schedule some meetings with you over the phone or a zoom connection, and begin to work through that budget and develop a game plan with you. They'll pray for you, they'll encourage you, they'll walk alongside you, and hopefully we can get you guys on a track to financial health. Okay.
S9: It sounds good. Thank you so much.
S3: All right. Let me pray for you. Father, we just ask that you give Renee strength, that you'd help her to understand her role as a steward and helped to have her acknowledge you as owner of everything. Lord, you are our ultimate treasure, not the things of this world. The things that money can buy are fleeting, but money is a good gift. It's to be used as a tool to glorify you. For us to enjoy and to provide and to give. And I know that's her heart's desire. That's what she wants. I pray that you'd give she and her husband unity in this, that you'd give them a clarity around what it is they're driving toward, and that is to be found faithful. And that through this certified Christian financial counselor, they'd be able to get on a track that is completely different than the one today that they can have confidence is God honoring, and that you would work in their lives and you'd draw them closer to you in the process. We ask all this in Jesus name. Thanks for your call. Faith and finance is a partnership between Moody Radio and Faith five. Big thanks to my team today. Amazing folks Amy, Jim, Dan and Lisa. We'll see you tomorrow. Bye bye.