S1: This faith and finance live is actually prerecorded, so please don't call in. Bob Goff once said, we won't be distracted by comparison if we're captivated by purpose. Hi, I'm Rob West. Comparison tempts us to measure our success against someone else's life. But when we understand who we are in Christ and why God has entrusted us with resources, money becomes a tool for our purpose rather than a scorecard. Jim Rasmussen joins us today to help us escape the comparison trap. Then we have some great calls lined up, but please don't call in today because we're prerecorded. This is faith and finance. Live biblical wisdom for your financial journey. Joining us today is my friend Jim Rasmussen, co-founder and brand ambassador at Pando Wealth and a Certified Kingdom advisor. Jim brings a valuable perspective on helping individuals and families approach financial decisions with both wisdom and purpose. Jim, great to have you here.
S2: It's great to be here. Rob.
S1: Jim, you've coached hundreds of chick fil A operators, and I know that's been a specialty of your business. Although Panda wealth is expanding and serving a lot more folks now. But what have you learned about where comparison tends to take root in a leader's life specifically?
S2: Well, working with all of the families that we serve across the country, I've seen that this is a problem that is happening everywhere. And in my experience, the comparison usually starts in that business world where we think about sales, and then we start to compare a little bit more about the individual line items to feel good about. Well, I might have done better with food or labor, etc., but it's really about the bottom line profits. How can we make more? And so that's where it just kind of starts to take root. And then it goes to the personal side.
S1: Well that's right, comparison can affect anyone. But Jim, what makes high earners especially vulnerable to this trap?
S2: What I see is our culture seems to reward or encourage. That net worth is equal to your self-worth. And when I look at a lot of these business owners, they're taught really well how to run a business. But the whole purpose of a business is to actually fuel your financial plan. And then your financial plan is to fuel your life plan. And how many of us or them are actually sitting there thinking about their life plan, which then if you have no financial plan, you have all this cash, you start to just look around and go, well, maybe I should copy what other people are doing because they're smarter and further ahead than me.
S1: Mhm. Yeah. And so we get caught in, I know you've talked about this loop that we have where, you know, instead of it being around, you know, how do I beat next month? It really should be about what is God calling me to and how can my finances be in service to that, right?
S2: Absolutely.
S1: Yeah. Uh, first Peter 410 calls us to use whatever God has entrusted to us to serve others as faithful stewards of his grace. Jim, how does that idea shift our focus from Comparison to stewardship.
S2: Well, what you start to see is every resource is a gift and it's here to serve. It's not here to actually be a trophy that you put on display for everybody else. You are literally trying to be the vessel that God's using to reach other people. And when you can do that, you start to think about not how much can I give, but how much do I keep? And that allows you to start thinking about, well, who can I bless with this? How can I have an impact for the kingdom in this way?
S1: Mhm. Yeah. And so it quickly becomes about generosity, holding what we have, loosely giving it generously, you know, how does that shift begin to occur in someone's mindset as they think about their role as stewards, not owners?
S2: A lot of people go from believing that I deserve this, or I've waited a long time and so I can control what I've got because I've earned it. And all of a sudden you start to release some of those, uh, assumptions and beliefs that you've grown up with. And so you start to hear how your kids or family might say, hey, everyone has one, why can't I? Why can't we go on a nice vacation? All of a sudden? It becomes, we're doing things differently. We're following our life plan of what God's called us to, and that's a gift that each of us have uniquely and individually.
S1: Yeah, it sure is. Jim, do you encourage your clients to really think about a lifestyle cap or a finish line as you're working with them?
S2: We try to ask them what their finish line is and how much it's going to be enough. But then we start to also ask, okay, there's only really three questions. How much do you need? How much do the kids need? And then what does God want me to do with the rest?
S1: Mhm. What about that question? How much do I need? Because it would be great if God's Word said you should live on 62.4% of your income. It doesn't. Which means it's between us and the Lord. How do you encourage people to go through that process to figure it out?
S2: What we typically want to try to do is say, seek God first. Yeah, ultimately, that's the issue.
S1: Mhm. Well, it's a matter of prayer and discernment. And if you're married, you need to do that together. Jim Rasmussen's here today. We're talking about comparison and the trap of having more. And striving for more and missing God's best for our financial lives. We'll continue to unpack this and what it looks like for you and me and Jim right around the corner. This is faith in finance. Live biblical wisdom for your financial decisions. Back with much more right after this. Stick around. The cure for comparison isn't having more. It's remembering who you are in Christ and why God entrusted you with what you have. We're talking the comparison trap with my friend Jim Rasmussen today. He's co-founder and brand ambassador at Pando Wealth and a certified Kingdom advisor. Jim, you've seen identity shift from I AM in Christ to I am the person who has achieved or acquired this. Uh, what early warning sign reveals that our identity is beginning to drift.
S2: Typically, if we start talking with others and we start to name material things that we have. Oh, I just bought a lake house. Oh, I have a nice car. Oh, I got new clothes. Oh, I went on a nice trip. We start to talk about material things versus what is God doing in our lives?
S1: Yeah, boy, that's a common trap that we can all get into. Uh, you know, some listeners may wonder, isn't it wise to learn from someone else's investment strategy? So, you know, as we think about our own investments, what can go wrong when we simply copy someone else's portfolio, for example.
S2: It can seem like a good idea at first because others seem to be further ahead or going where it looks flashy and exciting. But what we need is permission to actually go where God's called us. And if we're driving from Atlanta to New York, we need to go on 85 North. If we copy somebody else's driving habits and they're going west out I-20 or south down 85, we're not going to get to where God's leading us. And so to me is you can miss somebody's time horizon mismatch. You can figure out that you might actually be riskier than you should be. And so you're going to have more anxiety because your portfolio changes a lot. There's a lot of unintended consequences that happen when you start to just copy or follow the crowd.
S1: How does your prayer life play into this idea of contentment, Jim?
S2: Well, you all of a sudden see that when you're looking at your finances, prayers move more from, hey, I am thankful. I'm grateful for what I have. And you start looking at, hey, I might want this nicer house, this nicer car. So you can see that the shift when you start to think with gratitude and following what God has for your plan, you'll see a shift in your prayers that focus from inward to more outward. How can I be helpful with others and serve others with what I have and what I do?
S1: Yeah. You know, I think taking that inventory, perhaps a gratitude journal of sorts where, you know, I know for a season in my life, I finished every day just writing down 1 or 2 things I was grateful for. And the shift that happens when you acknowledge that and see God's faithfulness and provision in your life can be a game changer. Have you ever experienced that?
S2: I haven't sat down and journaled as much, but what I've started to do is more prayer life. And one of the things that has made a big impact on me is just praying. Psalms 13923 through 24. That one says, search me, O God. Know my heart. Test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way to everlasting.
S1: Mhm. Wow.
S2: To me, that is where you have to pay attention to the tension, and then God will surface things that have brought you closer to the comparison trap that you need to address and remove, so that you can move more towards the generosity and gratitude mindset that will then produce fruit of the Holy Spirit.
S1: That's well said. I know you often in your work with your clients, give families permission to act on what God may be leading them to do. Now, I know that may be a supporting ministry project. Maybe it's taking a family trip they've postponed out of guilt. What changes when they finally embrace that freedom?
S2: You can hear an audible sigh of relief. You can see their shoulders drop. If you're on Zoom, you really can just see a weight lifted, and they no longer are sitting there thinking, oh, I wish I could. They know they can. So it's just a a long dream will get booked for a vacation that they've been wanting to do. I just had one recently, last week that saw the statistics of 98% success dropped to 93% success. And he says, is that a big deal? I'm going go be generous because we want you to be generous. So it was just he said, thank you because I really want to grow the kingdom of God. And it was just an impact that we get to say yes to.
S1: That's powerful. Let's press into that a bit more, because I know at the heart of so many of these planning decisions and giving decisions is this idea of will I have enough? And you encourage people to think, Will what I have last long enough? What's the difference between those two ideas?
S2: Some of those. It goes from the accumulation to more of a distribution. It's really thinking, okay, God has been here. And when we're trying to say how much is enough, they're trying to plan every single accident or thing that could happen in their life downfall, which means they ultimately plan God out of their lives. And that to me is concerning because God can't show up if you've planned everything out for him. So we want to kind of see where's the responsible piece of that and asking, will it last long enough for what you're doing helps them stop chasing more and more and more.
S1: Mhm. That's good. Uh, as we look to God's Word and we talk about this comparison trap. Jesus command in Matthew 633 is to seek God's kingdom first. How does that help us break free from this cycle of comparison?
S2: When you start to seek God first, you start to realize that you have a life plan. Earlier I said, we don't have one, but you do. And when you have that, you then know the financial plan is to help you accomplish it. You get to say no faster to the things that you're being bombarded with. That means your purpose comes before your purchase. That means your contentment is going to cool any kind of impulse buys that are coming your way. You're going to start to see an eternal return on your investment. You're going to start to think more generosity and gratitude because you can say no to things faster. When you know you're on purpose.
S1: Yeah. Do you find that that's a struggle for people to really dial into their purpose?
S2: It is very hard because we have to sit still and talk with God, and in this world, we are to go, go, go constantly bombarded by emails and pictures on social media. And we get into this. Well, gosh, I should be doing all of that.
S1: Yeah. Yeah, absolutely. So then what is one practical step listeners can take this week to, to do what you're saying, which is to realign their hearts and their finances with God's priorities.
S2: A couple of things that I was thinking of is, first, go back to praying and reading Psalms 13923 through 24. Search me, O God. You could also just have an honest conversation with your spouse. If you're married or a close friend, and ask, what do you see in my life that I'm too close to it to see? Would you help me just become a better steward of what I have?
S1: Mhm. What about, uh, counteracting FOMO? The fear of missing out? Any thoughts there?
S2: Well, a lot of thing is, is that every person is thinking about themselves. They're not thinking about you. And so to me is giving you permission to say you're not missing out on anything. Seek God first, and he will remove that fear faster than anything.
S1: Yeah. Obviously, you're a certified Kingdom advisor, Jim, and I'd love for you just to speak from your perspective to the role of a CKA as you come alongside your clients to both give them permission, challenge them where appropriate, and even provide accountability when you're invited into that.
S2: Oh, absolutely. The best thing is, is that we get to come back and we understand that we're all here for an internal perspective. When you have a long term perspective, you make a better decision today. And we want to be that trusted advisor, just like every certified Kingdom advisor that you can realize. It's not about the money. It's not about anything except you seeking God's purpose in your life and then helping you steward that in a way that helps you accomplish it. So having somebody that's not there to sell you or convince you to just give them money and talk to you later, having a relationship versus a transaction, yes, is vital.
S1: Oh. So good. Well, Jim, this has been really rich. I'll tell you, this whole idea of the comparison trap, especially now with social media, is just so rampant. And really, at the end of the day, it's an issue of the heart. So much more than the money. You've given us. So many things to think about today. Really appreciate your time. Thanks for stopping by.
S2: Thank you Rob.
S1: Folks, the cure for comparison isn't having more. It's remembering who you are in Christ and faithfully stewarding what God has entrusted to you. If you want to learn more about Pando Wealth, go to Pando wealth.com. That's Pando wealth.com. If you'd like to find a certified Kingdom advisor like Jim in your area, go to find a seeker.com. Back with your questions after this. 800 525 7000. That's 800 525 7000. Or if you'd prefer to email your question, send it to us at ask@faithfully.com. We'll be right back. Great to have you with us today on Faith and Finance Live. I'm Rob West. Our team is away from the studio today. We're not here, so don't call in. But we lined up some great questions in advance and we'll get to those in just a moment first. You know, as I look at the scriptures, one of the big ideas that literally jumps off the page when you look at this area of finance in light of a biblical worldview, is the idea of contentment. We should foster an attitude of contentment. And I think that's the first understanding is that it is, in fact, an attitude. Matthew 633 says, but seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. If our aim is the kingdom, then that changes our perspective. It makes it focused on the eternal, not the temporal. And that's a game changer. Well then, from an attitude, we learn that contentment is in fact learned by. The Apostle Paul said it this way, not that I'm speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. That's Philippians 411. So it's a learned behavior. It's also a choice. You know, I can choose to be content in every circumstance, rich or poor, happy or sad, easy or difficult. Because as Christ followers, well, our position in Christ never changes. And I think that's an important reminder for us today. And perhaps it could change your whole approach to your money. All right, let's get to our calls today that we've lined up for you. We're going to go to Michigan. Sue, how can I help you?
S3: Hi. Um, we have a little bit of a problem. Um, we have a daughter. Uh, a middle daughter just got married, and the younger daughter was living with her, um, in her house, and so she moved back in with us while we've been trying to help her find a place, a house of her own, um, and everything, her being single, she doesn't have a younger sister to go in with her or anybody she knows that could, um, you know, rent part of the house with or whatever. Um, everything is out of her price range. Everything that is in her price range, um, either sells before we even get to go through it. Yeah. Or um, has so many repairs and I, she'll be at the max that she can go. So a piece of property came up for sale. That's what we did for her sister. Same thing was happening to her. She bought a piece of property. She kept living with us, paid on the property. And, um, then when she was able to and interest rates were still low, they moved. They built a tiny house and moved in together. A piece of property came up, but she doesn't quite have enough money to put down on it. Not even sure this is a great idea other than I know it's out there for the price you can afford. We have somebody from the church that's willing to build you as a retired builder said that you get a small house. I'll try to keep it in your range to for you to be able to afford it. I know new would be great because typically you don't have all the huge repairs. However, the down payment she needs help with we have. Our house is not paid off because I had a stroke six years ago and at 49 we weren't prepared for that and we had to borrow against the house again. And we have quite a large payment. We have three months, a little over three months cash, but that would eat some up. And we have two old vehicles that are 16 years old and an engine just blew on one of them. So we are going to have to use some of that money for the engine. I guess I'm looking for an unbiased opinion. Uh, yeah. She doesn't want to live here forever. We don't want her to, but obviously, we don't know the future. Uh, we had a roof, uh, water heater, and our air conditioner and heater go all in the same year, so. And that was last year. So we know what can happen. And I'm scared, you know?
S1: Yeah. Yeah. Well, I appreciate all that background, Sue. And you sound like a wonderful mom, and I love your heart to help your daughter. Um, I think the, the thing that I'm concerned about, as you just described your situation, is that your own finances are already under strain. And so, you know, you've shared that you're carrying this additional loan because of a medical issue, you've got a major vehicle expense, you've had, uh, you know, health challenges, uh, issues with the home. And so I think just, you know, despite your desire to help, and I love that. And if you had said, we're in a position to do it, what do you think about us blessing our our child with a down payment? I'd say, yeah, that's great. But I think, you know, if it's going to put you in a position where, you know, another unexpected expense could put you all into a tailspin beyond, you know, what you're already in right now. You know, it really is, you know, could endanger you financially. And so, you know, I think just given the circumstances, I think, you know, perhaps she just waits this out. Maybe you all focus on getting beyond some of these immediate concerns, maybe trying to build back up. I realize there's an opportunity right now with something in front of you, but I don't want to make a difficult situation worse by you all moving on something to to buy it further, putting you in a, in a situation where just given all that you've got on your plate right now, now you're dealing with less liquidity. And then on top of that, despite, you know, the, the gracious offer from this builder at church, you know, often there are cost overruns, there are unexpected expenses. You know, we've got geopolitical issues going on that affect, you know, construction prices. And, you know, let's say, you know, something ends up coming in more than we expect. I mean, we, we kind of need to go into it thinking there could be 15 to 20% overages beyond, you know, what's being promised despite, you know, the best intentions of this builder. And if she's already kind of right up against the edge and then all of a sudden it goes even higher, we could end up in a situation where both of you, you know, went from, you know, stable to a really desperate situation because all of a sudden now you have an obligation you weren't counting on, or at least less cash. And she's in a property that, although it's new, you know, is out of her price range. And, you know, now she's just starting out, but she's kind of underwater every month. I just it doesn't feel like the right environment, despite how good this offer might be for you all to move on this. And so I would encourage you to just slow down. Let's trust the Lord that he's got an incredible plan for her, uh, in terms of housing and her future. But we also want to be good stewards in the process and not get ahead of the finances in the provision. That's right there. Let's you and I talk a bit more off the air. We'll be right back. Hey, great to have you with us today on Faith and Finance Live. I'm Rob West, your host. Our team is away from the studio today, so don't call in. But coming up a little later, we'll have more. Let's head back to the phone calls we have on the program. Hey, let me take a moment to mention the Faith Fi app. We'd love for you to download it. Just head to your app Store or wherever you download apps and search for faith Fi. That's faith. Fi, you can manage your money. You can access the best content in biblical finance, podcasts, articles and videos. You can also participate in our faith fi community, where you can post questions and get answers from others on their stewardship journey. You'll find it in your App Store. Just search for faith Fi. Or if it's easier, head to our website at faith fi.com. That's faith fi.com, and you'll see the app right there on the home page. Now let's head back to the phone calls we have lined up. Let's go to Texas and Kathy. Go right ahead.
S4: Hi, Rob. Thank you so much for your ministry.
S1: Absolutely. Thank you for calling today. And for that.
S4: I have a question. I was gifted some money by my father. My mother passed away and he inherited everything. He gifted some money to me and I want to know how to best use it. um, and be a good steward of it, of course. But, um, we, uh, my husband and I have quite a bit of debt and, uh, nearing retirement, and I didn't know if we should put part of it into a CD or some kind of investment or just focus on repaying our debt and, um, you know, gifting the 10%, of course.
S1: Yeah. Very good. I love that you're thinking about, you know, giving as unto the Lord, uh, on this. Um, and tell me a little bit more about the debt that you have, Cathy.
S4: So my husband's business failed and, um, we, um, are about $140,000 in debt. We do have a house that we are still mortgaged, and we have one vehicle that we're still paying for. It's been in the shop for the past month and a half because there was a recall. And um, so we have some issues with that. I didn't know if we needed to pay the vehicle off, if that would be the best way to go or work on some personal.
S1: So the 140,000, is that all the related to the business, or is that kind of rolling other debts in as well?
S4: Um, most of it is actually personal loans because um we used a lot of credit cards and we paid those off with loans.
S1: I see.
S4: That's where that debt comes from.
S1: So the 140,000 is basically all personal loans. And that doesn't include your mortgage or anything else.
S4: Right.
S1: Okay. Yeah. And what is the interest rate roughly on the loan or loans.
S4: Around 10%.
S1: Okay. Yeah. Um, that really needs to be our priority. Uh, because, you know, you're not going to do 10%, certainly not guaranteed 10%, which is the return you'll get on every dollar of personal loan debt you pay off. That's equal to a 10% return. You're not going to get a guaranteed 10% return anywhere else. So you certainly wouldn't want to invest this money while you're carrying that debt. I realize it's a it's a big number, and it probably feels like we're never going to pay it off, but we've just got to make steady progress. So I think, you know, the priority order is, you know, let's replenish your emergency fund. If you if you don't have one. And let's try to get up to six months worth of expenses in liquid savings. So you've got something to fall back on if the unexpected comes. And, you know, hopefully we've broken the cycle of using the credit cards. And I realized there was a single event that occurred that led to that. But we want to make sure that we don't have to go back there. But once that's in place, I think, you know, the key for you all is to just start making steady progress toward that 140 140,000. Um, what what do you have coming, um, uh, following the passing of your mom.
S4: So we have, um, about 75,000.
S1: Okay. Yeah. And so do you have anything in emergency savings currently?
S4: No, we do not.
S1: Okay. And what do you all typically spend in a month's time?
S4: Um, with the debt. It's usually about, uh, right under $10,000.
S1: Okay. Yeah. So and are you able to, I mean, do you have enough income coming? That is it like right up to the edge or in some months, are you spending more or do you have any margin kind of where are you at monthly?
S4: So, um, I don't know how, but God has provided and we are able to pay right now, but there were a few months where we don't even know how, yeah. How possibly we could pay our debt and we did. So, um, we're really working on trying to be better stewards and.
S1: Um, and is the personal loan, is there multiple loans? Like, could you pay off one of them or is it kind of all okay? Yeah. So that might be the way to go because that's going to eliminate a payment. So you're probably going to want to snowball these where you go, assuming they're, you know, you could go smallest to largest balance. And, you know, maybe we, we take and, and put, uh, you know, 30, 000 aside in emergency savings and then take the rest and just start, you know, paying off one loan at a time. Here's what I'd like to do. Um, I'd like to provide if you'd be willing to take advantage of it, uh, a few sessions with a certified Christian financial counselor. And this is somebody who's trained in stewardship and budgets and debt repayment. This is what they do. And, and for many of them, they're retired. This is their ministry. Um, but I'd love for one of our certified Christian financial counselors to come alongside you guys. We're going to pay for it so it won't cost you anything, Cathy. But essentially they'll work with you to look at your income and expenses, help you develop a budget, maybe think long and hard about where your money is going because you have a great income. I mean, you all are making a lot of money, but we need to rein it in and make sure that we've got a good priority order. And that may mean stripping the budget down to the basics and then kind of rebuilding it with a focus on how quickly can we get out of debt. Because once this debt is paid off, you're in a whole different situation. Now we can turn our attention to, you know, building for the future so that, you know, your, your husband at some point, you know, may be able to, you know, redirect toward what God has for him next and you as well paid or unpaid in retirement. So, you know, I think getting you on a track where you've got a third party who can bring some objective, uh, you know, analysis to your spending, help you develop that plan could really get you pointed in the right direction. How does that sound though?
S4: Amazing. And thank you so much for doing that.
S1: Oh, I'd be delighted to. So let's do this. I'm going to have you hold the line. My team is going to get your information. We'll get a certified Christian financial counselor in touch with you and and then give me a call back after you finish all those sessions and let me know where you landed. I'd love to celebrate with you. Listen, it's not going to be a quick fix. It's going to take time. It's going to take some sacrifice on your part. You guys are going to need to rethink that spending plan. But, um, you know, this is what's necessary for you to live as a faithful steward. It's something, you know, we all have to do in saying, all right, Lord, thank you for what you've provided for me. It all comes from you. Now, how can I be a careful steward of what you've given me day to day, month to month doesn't mean you can't ever enjoy it. We want you to enjoy it. That's part of God's plan, but we want to make sure that it reflects what's truly important to you and that you're moving toward a stronger financial foundation. God bless you, Cathy. Thanks for your call. Hey, before we head to this break, just a quick reminder, our team is away from the studio today, so don't call in. We did line up some great questions in advance, and when we come back from this break, we'll have an opportunity to hear some of those questions. Let me also remind you that if you have a question you'd like to get in front of us and get an answer to, you can always send it in electronically. That's right. The way to send an electronic question is just to head to Moody radio.org/finance. You'll see the form there on that page where you can submit your question. We try to get to a few of those each week on the air again, Moody radio.org/finance. Back with more on faith and finance. Live right after this. Stick around.
S5: This is our final segment of a faith and finance live program that we previously recorded. Thanks so much for being with us today, and we hope you'll stick around and enjoy the rest of the program.
S1: Hey, do you love the program? Well, if so, we can't bring you this program each day without your listener support as a not for profit ministry. Faith fi that brings you this episode each day, plus our studies and devotionals, our magazine, our app, all the resources we provide because of your generous support and the partner program is the way to come alongside us monthly at $35 or one time a year at 400 or more to stand with us financially, but also to get some encouraging resources delivered to your door. Partners receive four issues of our magazine Faithful Steward. Every new study or devotional or field guide that comes out mailed to your door, pro access to the Faith Fi app, and a quarterly ministry update so you can celebrate God at work through this ministry. Just head to Faith fi.com/give to learn more. We're looking for several more partners yet this month. Faith fi.com/give. All right. Let's try to get to as many calls as we can here in this final segment today. Let's go out to Louisiana. Tony, thanks for your patience. Go ahead.
S6: Yes, sir. Um, both my husband and I are approaching 65, and we both qualify for Social Security because we pay in. We've been told at 65, we need to start taking it, even though, God willing, we will continue to work. Um, because we both love our jobs and want to stay working. But also I work at a school and I qualify for teacher retirement. So I'm wondering, like, would I need like a certified Christian counselor or like a CKA if that's two different things? Or who would I need to talk to about? Like, would I take Social Security? Would it be better to take teacher retirement and how, how someone that could point me in the right direction on how to yes, utilize our retirement?
S1: Yes. Well, I love this. Thanks for that background, Tony. And I love that you and your husband love your work. You know God created us to be workers and what a gift it is when we can do things we love that we were wired to do, to be productive, to bless others, and to do that in a way that just brings enjoyment and glory to God when we use our gifts and talents for him. So that's just fabulous. And I love that you're thinking about your future and what is the right time to take Social Security, and how does that play into the other retirement assets that you have? What a gift that you're in that place. Uh, to answer your question, yes. Um, this is where a certified Kingdom advisor could be really helpful because you're not necessarily looking for investment management at this point, although you may be in the future, you're really looking for what we would call comprehensive financial planning. So this is, uh, probably a certified Kingdom advisor who's also a certified financial planner. And many are that would come in and on a one time engagement where, you know, you do a planning session and, you know, maybe you meet 1 or 2 times and then they would come back to you with a comprehensive financial plan, and then maybe you'd check in once a year or a couple of times a year after that. Um, they could really analyze your situation, look at your income and your expenses. What assets do you have? You know, look at your Social Security record in terms of what's coming to you. Hear more about your plans and where God is leading, leading you all and what your desires are in the future in terms of any, you know, major savings projects, uh, you know, how long you plan to work all of those things and then come back with an analysis on, yeah, here's the best time to take Social Security because, you know, it starts with your full retirement age where you can get, you know, what is coming to you, the full amount of what's coming to you based on your work record and what's called your high 35. And, um, you know, that's your 35 highest years of earnings that determines your monthly benefit. And unless you wait until that full retirement age, which is probably close to or at 67, You're not going to get that full amount. But then if you wait beyond that and a lot of times it makes sense to do that. If you're working and you're in good health and you have longevity in your family, you can get an 8% increase to that check every year until age 70. So you could get, you know, checks 25% higher than what you were going to get at full retirement age for the rest of your life, which if you live into your 90s and a lot of people do, could be really helpful down the road to have that, you know, that increased check. It'll take you about 12 years to get paid back for it. Um, but then from that point, you, you know, you're just, you're making more money from social Security. Um, now if you decided to take it early, then you're going to get, you know, less and that would all be a part of the analysis. So yeah, I would head to find acka.com. Tony. You can find a certified Kingdom advisor and just tell them you're looking for retirement planning. And that really is what your need is. And they would typically do that on a flat fee, you know, per engagement basis.
S6: Okay. Thank you so very much. I'll do that.
S1: Excellent. Lord bless you, Tony. Call anytime if I can help. And again, that website is find acka.com. Uh, let's go to Missouri. Dennis, how can I help?
S7: Bless your ministry. I hope you and everybody is doing fine.
S1: Thank you.
S7: I'm a faith buy. I just joined Faith fire recently and I'm also I'm also a tither. I'm retired military, retired civil service. I'm a disabled vet. I served 20 years in the military. And, and I've got an interesting situation. Okay. The VA has recently upped my disability payment to a very large amount. And it's called a judiciary or some kind of account that my daughter manages. And it's supposed to take care of all my needs. But I also have a retired civil service, retired military, and I draw Social Security. So I've got enough money is I don't have any credit card debt to speak of. Uh, I think I'm up maybe one small one, but I don't otherwise, I don't have any credit card debt. The situation I'm in is I'm in a rental property and the VA has offered to or has granted me two loans or two grants to improve my rental property where I live because I'm legally blind. And they're saying that there may be things I need being a disabled vet, uh, such as ramps because I use a walker and other things within the house. Well, my daughter is telling me that recently. I'm sorry. Recently, I bought my daughter a car because she needed one. Uh, I'll be paying that off for her. So my, uh, free income right now is 5400 a month. Uh, so I'm making, I'll be making the car payments out of that, and I hope to pay the car off, like in a few months. And, uh, from my daughter saying, rather than continue to rent. Why don't you just buy a piece of land and put a prefab house on it? And I got to thinking about it and she said there would be money, your rent money you would pay. Now you'd be making on that rental property. You buy it. That would be an investment for you. Well, I got to thinking about it, but I thought, well, I got to put in a septic and a well and a water line and foundation and, and all that sort of stuff. And plus I'll be making house payments and there'll be taxes on the property. And I'm wondering, would I be better off just to stay where I'm at because my rent is 500 a month, which is a very good price. I can easily afford that. That comes out. I take that out of my VA disability pay. And if I just, uh, I'm retired, so I'm not and I can't work. So I'm wondering, should I just stay where I'm at rather than invest in a new house on my age?
S1: Yeah. Wow. That's great. Well, first of all, Dennis, thank you for all that background information. Thank you for your encouragement about the program here and for being a partner. Uh, also, thank you for your service to our nation. Uh, what a gift that is. And we are incredibly grateful. Um, you know, based on what you've shared, I love the fact that you're in a very strong financial position with no consumer debt, stable income from your VA benefits and civil service. You know, as you said, you're paying a low $500 a month in rent. I mean, that's a very positive situation. And I would say to your point, you know, don't buy just because you can, uh, you know, buying land and putting a prefab home on it is more complicated than many people realize. You mentioned some of the complexities beyond the land and the, the home. You know, we're talking about the septic system, the utilities, the site prep, the permits, the insurance, the the property taxes, the maintenance. Um, you know, I think considering your accessibility needs, you want to make sure that, you know, you have a place that's going to meet those needs. I love that they're giving you that grant to do that. Um, and you know, those grants are a blessing. And if you can make your current rentals safer and more accessible, your landlord is willing to cooperate. Uh, and you can keep that low rent. Um, I think that's, uh, that's worth serious consideration, uh, just to stay right where you are. I know your daughter loves you and wants the best for you, but I think at the end of the day, the decision needs to serve your needs and lifestyle, not necessarily just be considered a, quote, good investment, if that makes you no sense.
S7: Well, I talk with the landlord and they've told me that I can stay in this rental property as long as I want. And, uh, the payments are not going to go up as far as, uh, as far as I know. And I figured, well, that might be VA my VA disability that the VA has given me is a large, large amount and that takes care of everything.
S1: Yeah. Yeah. I mean, from what you've you've shared here, Dennis, I mean, I don't think you can go wrong either direction, but just my observation is I don't hear a financial problem to solve. I hear someone who's in a stable, affordable housing situation. And unless there's a strong lifestyle reason to move, I'd be inclined to enjoy the simplicity. Keep building your savings. Avoid taking on the cost and responsibility of developing a property at this stage of life. Continue giving and blessing the people you love, just like you did with this automobile. The verse that comes to mind is is Proverbs 1516 better a little with the fear of the Lord than great wealth, with turmoil. And sometimes the best investment isn't the one with the highest potential return, especially in this season of life. It's the one that provides the greatest peace and stability and freedom. Does that make sense?
S7: Yeah it does. I, I just don't want to create any more problems. And right now my lifestyle is very simple. My, my bills are virtually nothing. So I kind of think maybe I should just stay where I'm at. I am able to put away about 1500 a month in savings.
S8: Love it. Yeah. That's great.
S1: Well, I think that's the answer to your question, Dennis. At least for now, I just stay put and enjoy this unique situation you have with a very accommodating landlord with a very reasonable price. Uh, something really good about, uh, keeping life simple. And, uh, that's what I'm hearing from you again, thank you for your service to our nation, my friend, and for being a faith by partner. We're grateful. God bless you, folks. If you'd like to support our work, just head to faith.com/give. Hey, faith in finance is a ministry of Faith, Fi and Moody Radio. Thanks to my team today and we'll see you tomorrow. Come back and join us then. Bye bye.