S1: Hello friends, happy New Year and welcome to Open Line with Doctor Michael Ray Dolnick. My name is Michael Ray Dolnick, and I'm the academic dean and professor of Jewish studies at Moody Bible Institute. It's time for our Bible study across America, and I'm so grateful that you're starting your year by joining me around the radio kitchen table. And we're going to talk about the questions that you've sent in about the Bible, God, and the spiritual life to start the New Year. I thought we'd empty the inbox, clear the spindle. So today is an all mailbag, all the time program. So don't call today. You still can send your questions in. All you have to do is go to our website, openline radio.org, and you'll see a link there that says Ask Michael a question. Click over there for him will come out. You can send your question there and Trish will put it in the mailbag for future weeks. But today we're going to answer the questions that you've sent in in past weeks. We want to get through as many so that we start the new year fresh with new questions. And joining me today to, uh, deal with all the questions you've mailed in is, first of all, Eva. She's my wife. She's also a colleague at Moody Bible Institute. She's a co-writer on the Moody Bible Commentary and the Moody Handbook of Messianic Prophecy. But really, she's my favorite Bible teacher. And hey.
S2: Happy New Year, everybody.
S1: I'm glad you're here, Eva. And, uh, kind of the master of ceremonies, the person, or I should say mistress of ceremonies, the person who's in charge, the person who's going to ask the questions and keep us online here to answer your questions, it's Tricia McMillan. She's the producer of Open Line. So glad you're here, Tricia.
S3: Glad to be here.
S1: Yeah. And, uh, Omar Mendoza is our tech guy today. Thank you so much, Omar. And again, don't call today. Today is a special question. Question and answer program based on the Bible questions and spiritual life questions you've sent in. And that's what we're going to do. So get ready. We're about to study the scriptures together, and I'm going to turn it right over to Tricia. What have you got for us today?
S3: Well, our first question is from Tom in Illinois. He listens to Wmbi, says, I just ordered the Moody Bible Commentary to start the New year off right in God's Word. And I also plan to buy a new Bible. I've heard you mention that you use the Holman Edition, but do you have a favorite translation? Um, yeah. Well.
S1: My favorite translation is the original Holman Christian Standard Bible Hcsb. It's been revised. I still use the old one. I the revision is good, but I think it took away some of the distinctives of the Hdssb and they call it now the Holman CSB. It's a good one too. You have to if you want to get the CSB like I have, you can still find them, but you buy them on the internet. They're they're sometimes listed as used, but then they're actually brand new. There are people who got an HSB and and never, uh, and never really opened it.
S2: And they don't even write their name in it. You've ordered a couple of those, right?
S1: Yeah, yeah. And I have a stack of them so that when I wear out a Bible, I've got the next one to go. And now, uh, Eva, you have a different favorite Bible.
S2: My favorite Bible is the new American Standard Version. I've been reading it for a long time. When I was.
S1: Even thinks that Moses and Paul.
S2: Wrote that. Autographed by them. Um, when I was a moody student, that was the one I studied out of as a moody student back when I was in Jewish studies at Moody, but I continued to read it. I've done other versions, but I come back to this. It is not the smoothest reading. Uh, text not doesn't read as smooth as, say, the one that Michael was just mentioning. However, I like it because it's a more a word for word translation, which is why it's kind of bumpy in parts. But yeah, I'm used to the bumps, so I like it.
S1: So there's different approaches to translation. There's uh, there's like a formal equivalence. That's a word for word translation, like the new American standard. And then there's a dynamic equivalence, which is much more thought for thought. That would be something like the New Living Translation. And then there's what the Hcsb tries to be is optimal equivalence, which is a word for word as much as you can. But when it's kind of bumpy because you're going from an ancient different language, uh, to a modern language, you need to to sometimes smooth it out. And so that's what they call optimal equivalence. That's why I like about the HSB. Uh, and I use them all. Uh, many people. I recently had to preach someplace where they only use the ESV and the English Standard version, so I happily use that. What do you use, Tricia?
S3: Uh, our church uses the ESV. Um, I memorized verses as a kid in either the NIV or NASB. Um, because the ESV wasn't created yet. That one, I think, was made in like 2000. Like right around 2000 ish. Um, and so, so now when my kids are learning their verses in Awana, I have to check myself because I'm like, oh, yeah, you got it right. Oh, no, you missed like four words because it's not the shell, it's a will. And it's a they're very minor things and they don't change the meaning. But but they can make me stumble a little bit when I try and say it because I'm like, oh, that's not like that's not the right word. Like one and only son or only begotten son or only son. You know, like those very small changes.
S1: We use now for your Bible study, like when you go to or you're reading.
S3: Use. Yeah, I think it depends on where I am. The one on my phone is ESV. So if I'm reading on my phone, like because I'm traveling and like I didn't bring a Bible, it'll be ESV. So it's probably you use.
S1: When you're at home.
S3: Most of what I use is ESV. Probably the it's an ESV, I believe. Yeah.
S1: Yeah. Well, what I think is interesting is you use an hcsb when we're in the studio together.
S3: I do, because I know that's what. That's what I use or what you what you read. And so anything that I do with the mailbag, when I look up the verses and include those, I always make sure I have the hcsb. And so I actually have an hcsb that I use in the studio. So, so the one in my office at work is an Hcsb. So that's why I say just to kind of depends on where I am.
S1: Here's the thing I would suggest to Tom, you know, get several versions. uh, you know, or online. Check them out and read them. Uh, pick one book and read it. You know, like a chapter or two in each one and see which one fits you the best, which which you like the best. Uh, and then buy that one. The thing I would caution there are some, uh, what I would call idiosyncratic translations. Those are translations that are done by one person. Uh, and I would be careful. Like, the message might be interesting to read, but I wouldn't use it as a regular Bible. Uh, there's the passion translation, which is very quirky, and I would say, no, don't use that as a regular reading Bible.
S2: The the the new living though that's the.
S1: New living is, is a dynamic equivalence. And it's very good. Uh, but again, you have to read them and decide which one fits you the best. But, uh.
S2: I would say two if you if you grew up with the King James and you love it, then try the new King James, because it deals with some of those phrases that, that we don't use anymore the the the original King James and the new King James.
S1: New King James is a very good translation. However, I think the especially the Greek text is somewhat problematic that it's based on. And so I, I would, I would try to go with a more modern translation, even more than the new King James. Although if you're really devoted to King James, uh, then then fine. Now, the one thing that Evo always says about what's the translation you should read?
S2: I always say choose the translation that you will read the most, the one that you are the most comfortable with and understand the best.
S1: Yeah, because all those translations that we talked about are good. Translation. The NIV is a good translation. There are lots of good ones.
S2: So the the ones are minor. Mhm. So the most important thing right. Read your Bible every day.
S3: That's right. Alright. Thank you. Brenda in Alabama listens to Wmft says I really appreciate you in the program. I listen to you on Saturday mornings and learn so much. Uh, you have talked about the acronym specs. S p e c s that reminds you what to look for when you are studying a passage in the Bible. Can you tell us again what those letters stand for?
S1: Sure. Now, I just want you to know that I never dreamed that this would have people from Open Line asking me about. I get asked about this all the time when I go out and meet with people. Like, do a live audience, open line. Uh, people will say, what's the specs again? I, I was a student in Howard Hendricks Bible study methods class, and he showed us specs, and I thought, oh, that's good. And I kind of tucked it away. And now and now I'm always amazed that people really like this. So here's what you put on your specs when you read the Bible. It's a way of making the Bible practical.
S2: It's like putting on your glasses to see something more clearly. Put on your specs.
S1: Put on your specs, and so see if there's a statement of truth to believe. Then there's also a promise to claim, an example to follow, a command to obey, or a sin to avoid. Those are the specs. Those are the the five letters statement of truth. Example to follow. Promise to claim, command to obey or sin to avoid. And you know you can reverse those S's if you want, but you know the sin to avoid at the beginning statement of truth to believe. But either way, it's right. You got your specs on. And uh uh, Trish, I think what you need to do is once again.
S3: Post post the graphic on our Facebook and Instagram pages. That's great. So you can see that. Yeah. No, I made this fun little graphic like years ago. And so I keep bringing it out every once in a while because I think especially as we begin a new year, uh, People are looking for ways to either reignite how they study the Bible or they're not sure where to start. And I think having these questions are just good. So can you give me an example of how you would use this? Like let's say John one one in the beginning, maybe that's not a good verse. In the beginning.
S1: It's a great word. It's a great.
S3: One. Okay.
S1: That's a.
S3: Passage.
S1: God, that's a passage that affirms the deity of the Lord Jesus. The word was with God and the word was God. And then it says, Then the word became flesh. Later on in the.
S2: Passage, good for Christmas time.
S1: Yeah. And so here's the thing. That's a statement of truth. People often say, do I have to really believe that Jesus is fully God? And the answer is yes, that's a statement of truth to believe. So that's a great example. When you read that, it affirms the truth. So yeah, that's a good example. So another place. Yes.
S3: Well I was going to say. So. So when we do this, we're not looking for all five to no to be answered. You're looking for all five? One verse. Yeah.
S2: One verse might not have all.
S3: Like in that verse. It might not have all five. But those are different ways that I can say. Is there a statement of truth in there? Yes, yes there is.
S1: I have my radar on for all five of those. Yep. But I might only find one. So yeah. That's great. Okay. Uh, no. Okay. Wonderful.
S3: Thank you.
S1: Uh, we're we're going to take a break here, but I, we're going to when we come back, I just want to mention that we're supposed to be reading the scriptures. I really want to encourage that. We're going to read through the Bible. I read through the Bible every year. So we're going to talk about that when we come back. Okay, Trish. Okay. Okay. Uh, and stay with us. There's a lot more to go on this all mailbag, all the time program of Open Line with Michael Ray Dolnick, Eva Ray Dolnick and Trish McMillan. Do you ever feel overwhelmed trying to see how all 27 books of the New Testament fit together? Well, I have the perfect resource for you. Survey of the New Testament by Paul Benware takes you on a journey from Matthew to Revelation, giving you the big picture of God's grand story of redemption. Get your copy of this resource today. When you give a gift of any size, call (888) 644-7122 or go to Open Line radio.org. Ministry isn't a solo effort. You know my voice, but if you could see inside our studio, you'd see a team behind the scenes putting open line on the air. Look a little further and you'd see into the homes of listeners like you who give monthly to make this ministry possible. And when you join our team of Kitchen Table Partners, I'll send you a Bible study moment email every other week with tips and encouragement. Become a kitchen table partner today by calling (888) 644-7122 or go to open Line radio.org. And we're back for this special all mailbag All the time program with me, Michael Melnick. Eva Rydell. Nick is joining me. I know everyone's happy. Uh, I'm always amazed. Uh, people are like, we're we're okay with you, Nick, but wow, we love it when Eve is on the program. So. And then Tricia McMillan is here and we're going through the mailbag. But before we hit the mailbag, we talked about posting last segment, the specs graphic that you created. There's something else I think we need to post, and that is a read through the Bible in a year program. I think it's such a good thing. And we can read through the Bible. There's lots of different programs. I really want to encourage you to read it by book, not by.
S2: Uh, chronology.
S1: Chronology. Just but and also read. Why do some Old Testament excuse me, uh, do some Old Testament. Do some New Testament. Both. I think that would be a really big help, uh, to to read, not just start in Genesis and work your way through. And so, Tricia, we have some, uh, read through the Bible in a year programs, or at least one that I really recommend that we can post as well. I want to help you do that. And if you're getting your your new Bible, your new moody Bible commentary, you're all set. Uh, Eva, you've been doing this forever. You do lots of different.
S2: Programs of different ways. I do lots of different ways.
S1: But one of the things that that you discovered is how many chapters a day do you have to read to get through the Bible in a year? Oh, I.
S2: Think you only have to read four chapters a day. I think it is. And if you read for 15 minutes a day, just 15 minutes, you can read through the whole Old Testament and the New Testament twice, the Old Testament once, the New Testament, twice in a year, 15 minutes.
S1: You think.
S2: How much time you spend on worthless stuff every.
S1: Day? Every day? Yeah. So 15 minutes a day is all you need. And you get through the Bible, the Old Testament and the New Testament twice in a year.
S2: Reading at a normal pace. Yeah. You know, so it's it's great. And, you know, maybe your church has a, has a read through the Bible plan that your church. I know Mike Faber his church does. So if that if they have that do that. So you're so you're reading along with what everybody else is reading in your, in your congregation. But read it every day.
S1: Yeah. Okay. Uh, so that's I wanted to make sure that that, uh, we had that on on tap for us. Okay. Uh, okay. Trish, let's let's see where we can go with some more questions right now.
S3: Okay. Terry in Florida and Susan in Ohio both have a similar question where they are looking at their Bible carefully. And, um, in the back in the maps, it has it labeled as um. It uses the word Palestine to talk about it. So expansion of the early Church in Palestine or Palestine and New Testament times. What is meant by this? Shouldn't it say Israel instead?
S1: Well, let's.
S2: Wait. And some apps will even say Palestine in the time of Abraham.
S1: Yeah, some maps on some in some Bibles say that. Now here's where the word Palestine came from. It became in the Roman period, it became a regional term, a term for that region. Uh, but it wasn't really a country. And then by the second century, there was a Jewish revolt against Rome. And Hadrian. The emperor defeated the Second Great Jewish Revolt in 135. And he was so annoyed with this Jewish community that he wanted to wipe out the.
S2: Memory.
S1: The memory of this being a Jewish land. And he thought, who are the ancient enemies of the Jewish people. Well, it's the Philistines. So he took that word like.
S2: Like David and Goliath.
S1: Yeah. And he said, let's rename the area of Palestine. And so they changed the name of Jerusalem to Aelia Capitolina. They changed. And the Romans then changed the name of the land from Judea to Palestine. And it was in the second century. So in the time of Jesus and the time of the book of acts, it was always called either Judea. The northern part was called Galilee. The whole place was called Judea. The the area was still in the Bible called the Land of Israel, or the land of the Jews. In the New Testament, the word Palestine is never found except in the maps. And the reason this is significant is now the state of Israel exists, and the word Palestine has become a sort of controversial term. And so when it's talking about Israel, it's not talking about Palestine, it's talking about Israel. And that's the biblical name. So much so that I have a radical wife.
S2: I have a glue stick, and I'll find a little print word of Israel, and I'll glue it over the word Palestine.
S1: On her maps in her.
S2: Bible. So if I if I have a Bible that has Palestine on the maps, I, I correct it with the word Israel or Judea because I think it is so wrong. And like Michael said, it was a regional. Initially it was a regional word, like Africa, but it was.
S1: From the Roman period.
S2: From the Roman period. And then it was then it was like focused in on on Judea. Yeah. And it became Palestine.
S3: Why why is it still on the maps?
S1: Uh, because.
S2: The Romans made all the maps.
S1: Well, begin with.
S3: Well, no, but in our in our current Bibles that are being revised and updated. And why why are those. I mean, obviously, everybody knows. I would think that in the time of Abraham, it wasn't called that because it.
S1: Was called.
S3: Canaan. So. So why doesn't it say Canaan in Abraham's time? Or like why? Why are the current Bibles that are still being printed and updated. Why do they still have that?
S1: Well, because it became the term for centuries in in scholarly literature. So if you're writing in the 19th century that that was the land as it was called then. So they didn't use the biblical terms, they used the term that was in that time. So in the 18th century, 19th century, early 20th century scholars always used the term that as it was then Palestine for about 1800 years, 1900 years. And so now they just I don't think there's any it's not like there's a political purpose for most people. When they do that, they're just keeping up. It's a.
S2: Tradition.
S1: It's a tradition. It's a tradition.
S2: And you'll see it. The other place you'll see it too, is in Bible dictionaries. Sometimes it'll talk about events that happened in Palestine, and, you know, you'll hear it in sermons.
S1: I was once being interviewed by. This was about 20 years ago. It was during the time of the Second Intifada, when there was a lot of violence and terrorism in Israel, people crossing into Israel. And I was being interviewed by someone from Moody on Moody Radio and they said, hey, Michael, update us on what's going on in Palestine. And I said, do you mean Israel? Oh, yeah, I guess so. So yeah. Well, I think.
S3: There's confusion of it. And now with the, um, I think politics today has heightened the awareness.
S1: That the.
S3: Word is being used or it is being used. Um, but I think there's still that confusion over are they the same? Where did it come from? You know, these kind of things.
S1: So that's why. And then we find it in our Bibles.
S3: Yeah.
S1: I'm revising a book called understanding the Arab-Israeli conflict and updating that. And that explains how these terms came to be. So. Okay.
S3: Wonderful.
S1: You can still get the old edition, but I'm updating the into a new one. Yeah.
S3: Wonderful. Well, thank you for that. I hope that helps clear things up. Terry and Susan Kylie in Indiana listens to Wagner, and she's going to take us back to Genesis. When God created the earth, he created the sun and the moon and the stars to provide light. When you get to revelation, John describes the new heaven and a new earth and says, there is no need for the sun because it will be the light. Why did God create the sun for the first creation, if he intended to dwell with humanity in the garden? Like, why even make the sun if because he it says he walked with them in the garden.
S1: Well, why would I?
S3: Is that a little different?
S1: In this creation, God intended to use the sun. Uh, the. I don't know that, you know, it's what was God's ultimate intention with that, I don't know, uh, but I do know that in the new heavens and the new earth, that means it's a new creation. It's it's it's a new world. I don't know if it's a renovated world. This one, uh, when I was the new one. Yeah, yeah. Or is it a brand new? Completely never existed before creation. I don't know, with the New Jerusalem, but it's. It's going to be a new world. And that's why it's going to be different. That's that's all I. You know, I don't know that God's purpose in the Garden of Eden was to provide the light through his own being. I don't I don't see that.
S3: Because he created the sun as the source of the light, the greater light and the lesser light. Okay. All right. Thank you. Uh, Genesis 3631 Mike writes from Idaho. Seems so. We got a couple of things. There seems to have been a long time after Moses.
S1: Genesis 3631.
S3: Genesis 3631, which happens before Moses. So I will clarify that in terms of when Moses shows up. But it says, these are the kings who ruled in the land of Edom before any king ruled over the Israelites. So after meaning there is a reference to future events of these Israelite kings, um, which happened after Moses. So I think that that's what he means. Um. This doesn't seem to make sense, then, that Moses would write that, since that would have happened so long after he would have written the books in the Pentateuch. Can you address that?
S1: Yes. Uh, people have used this to attack mosaic authorship of the Pentateuch. What they don't realize is that Moses wrote, uh, and then it was copied from generation to generation to generation. And as they copied it, they updated. It's what Michael Grisanti at Master's Seminary calls inspire updates. And there were these updates as they copied it. That and they were inspired updates right up until the close of the canon. In fact, one of those inspired updates is the very last chapter of the Pentateuch, where it talks about Moses death. And there's no prophet that has arisen like Moses since that time.
S3: So you don't think he wrote this about himself, right? Yeah, right. I'm kidding. I don't think he did.
S2: Right, exactly. And it wasn't written like five minutes after he died.
S1: It was a long time later. So I like to call the final version that we have at the close of the canon, Torah 2.0, and it has all these updates. For example, the city of Laish is, uh, is called Dan because later on the Israelites came into the land and took Dan. And so what you have is inspired updates people like Ezra and others who were doing the updating, who were biblical writers. They updated it so that it's what we have today. So Moses wrote it. Torah 2.0. Let's put that in the hands of Ezra. And and that's what we've got today.
S3: So. All right. Great.
S1: Hope that helps with that. We're going to come back with more of your questions in just a moment. You're listening to Open Line with my two guests. Eva. Right. Tricia McMillan. And we'll be right back. Stay right there. We're so glad that Febc partners with Open Line with Doctor Michael Ray Dolnick bringing the Febc mailbag every week. Learn how far East Broadcasting Company is taking Christ to the world at febc. Org on their weekly podcast. Until all have heard with Ed Cannon, you'll hear stories of lives changed by Messiah all across the globe. Again, you can hear the podcast when you visit febc. Dawg. That's fake dawg. Welcome back to Open Line I'm Michael Radonich and joining me today is Eva Radonich and Tricia McMillan. What? We're, uh, what we're doing today is clearing the spindle. We're emptying out the the inbox. We're trying to answer the questions that you've sent in that are left over from last year. And we're starting the new year off next week with new questions that you've mailed in. But today, don't call. It's just a time for us to go through the mailbag. And I'm so glad that Trish has pulled this together. We're going to try and get through as many as we can, aren't we, Tricia?
S3: We are. Okay. Our our next question is from Linda in Illinois. Listens to WMP, says I'm reading my Bible daily to finish in one year. I'm in acts now and today is a reading about Saul or Paul. As a side note, the commentator says that there is a forbidden chapter in the Tanakh, and rabbis will not allow Isaiah 53 to be read in synagogues. I've never heard this before. Is this true?
S2: Uh, no. No. Not true.
S1: A lot of people misunderstand the reading cycle. Uh, in the synagogue. The synagogue. Three times a week. We read in the synagogue from the Torah, so that in a year we will complete the entire Torah Genesis through Deuteronomy. Then there's something called the Haftorah. Uh, and it doesn't mean half of the Torah. It's just it's a prophets reading and excerpts from the prophets are read as well. Not the whole set of the prophets, but excerpts from the section called the prophets and sometimes they don't read any of it. And Isaiah 5213 through 5312 was not included in the prophets readings. Reading. It's not forbidden. It's just not in the reading cycle that we have three times a week. Uh, just they have excerpts from the prophets, but every Hebrew Bible has Isaiah 53 in it. Every Hebrew, uh, Bible is you're encouraged to read it. There's no there's no forbidden chapter. Now, it may be I wonder why they left that one out of all you know, I don't know. Uh, but it's not forbidden by any means. It's in the Bible. Uh, it's commented on by Jewish commentators over and over. I disagree with their comments. Most common since the Middle Ages. Most Jewish commentators say it's, uh, it's about Israel as the suffering servant, not the Messiah, but ancient rabbis said it was the Messiah. But I. I think it's wrong to say it's forbidden.
S2: Yeah, it's it's not a plot. Yeah. To keep Isaiah 53 from being read. There's a lot of portions that aren't read, but but we just happen to know what a significant portion that is. Yeah, I'd have.
S1: Picked it if I had been the rabbi setting the reading.
S2: Cycle. Yeah, right. But, you know, that was a long time ago. We weren't around. Yeah. So.
S3: Okay. All right. Thank you. Thank you for that clarification. And thank you for that question, Linda. Marilyn listens to us in Melbourne, Australia on the Moody Radio app. Oh, hooray! I'm grateful for you. I know right. I'm grateful for your wonderful teaching that has ministered to me through your program. I'm doing a devotional that presents Psalm 91 as literal promises from God, and I'm having trouble accepting that. Can you please explain how we should make sense of Psalm 91, the context, meaning, and how to apply it personally in our relationship with the Lord?
S1: Yeah, a lot of people ask me about Psalm 91 in particular during the Covid pandemic when we were all locked down. And the reason for it, uh, it talks about the one who lives under the protection of the Most High, dwells in the shadow of the Almighty. And it says that, uh, because you've made the Lord God your refuge, uh, no harm will come to you. No plague will come near your tent, for he will give his angels orders concerning you, to protect you in all your ways. Sounds like nothing could ever make us die. Nothing could ever make us, uh, you know, fall into any kind of problem. Uh, I think, first of all, we need to look at the Book of Psalms as the prayer book of the Messiah. As Bonhoeffer called it, this is really more about Jesus than it is about us, but it's applicable in our lives. And this was quoted by the enemy when he said.
S2: Yeah, when he when he says in the in the wilderness, you know, cast yourself down. Nothing can happen to you. Yeah.
S1: He he'll give his angels charge over you.
S2: Yeah.
S1: And he quotes Psalm 91. And the first answer that the Lord gave was, uh, don't tempt the Lord your God.
S2: Don't tempt the Lord your God. Yeah.
S1: Yeah. You don't. You don't say, oh, nothing's going to bad's going to happen to me. So let me I'm going to go play in traffic. That's that's not that's not what this is teaching. Don't tempt God. Right. Uh, the second thing is, what this means is nothing can happen to you until God's time. If it meant that nothing ever could happen to you, that no one could ever die, then this verse, which has its primary sense about the Messiah, he would have never died. But it was up to God's. Nothing could happen to you apart from God's timing. Right. And God's will.
S2: This is what's so important about how you read all of the Bible. You just don't have just. This is my. This is all I know of the Bible. I'm just going to read this. This this one, one psalm. Whereas job said, Though he slay me, yet will I trust him. Yeah. You know.
S1: So the time of it is, I think, here's the principle that we can apply in our lives. Nothing bad can happen to us or those whom we love if we've taken God as our protector. Unless the time is right when God allows it. Everyone's going to die. Some people die younger. Some people die older. Uh, unless we're going to get raptured. But otherwise we're going to die. We can't take this verse, say, oh no, nothing bad will ever happen to us. You know, that's just not true. Uh, but nothing bad will ever happen to us apart from God's permission and timing. That's what it's teaching.
S3: Okay, I think back to the specs that we talked about in the first part of the program and the the statement of truth about who God is in this and what he will do the promise to claim. Um, is there a promise to claim?
S1: Yeah. The promise here that we can claim is that nothing bad can happen to us until God's time.
S2: And we're abiding in the shadow of the Almighty. No matter what's happening to us.
S1: Yeah. Whether we're. We're here or in his presence. You know, even I we've thought about this verse quite a bit when we became parents, you know. And Trish, you know this. How do we worry about our kids? You know that we're.
S3: In every way you can think.
S2: Of. Yeah. It goes from is it going to be like crib death or run over by a car or drown at the pool playing with your friends or making terrible choices?
S4: We're just.
S1: And I kept thinking, apart from trusting God, I couldn't have had kids. I don't know how people who.
S2: Are parenting without.
S1: Parenting, without the Lord in their life. I, I don't know how they they get up in the morning, you know, they because the the anxiety closet would fly open. But I trust God he knows what he's doing.
S3: Yeah, yeah. And even I think the sin to avoid in this one. What Jesus said when he refutes Satan is don't tempt God, you know, with these things. So? So there are lots of ways we can.
S1: Yeah. Eat healthy, don't play in traffic, you know, do the things that you're supposed to do and, you know, work out. Do all the stuff that you're supposed to do. People say, why should I do that if God knows the day of my death? Well, yeah, but he may have determined that we work out and eat healthy to, uh, to preserve us. So let's let's go ahead and do that. So.
S3: All right, thank you for that question, Marilyn. And thank you for listening to us in Australia.
S1: Yeah. Yep. Well, we're going to come back in just a little bit. Uh, don't, uh don't run, don't go away. We're going to answer the questions you've sent in this past year, and we're going to make sure to try and clear the spindle completely. Don't call today, though. Uh. Keep listening. This is Michael Ray Dolnick, Eva Ray Dolnick and Tricia McMillan right here on Moody Radio's Open Line. Stay with us. Did you ever feel Christians can't do anything about the growing anti-Semitism in the world? Well, that's why Chosen People Ministry is one of our partners, is offering a free book called Uncommon Allies American Jews and Christians Uniting Against Hitler, 1933 through 45, written by Alan Shore. This book shows the importance and power of Christians standing against anti-Semitism in the past, so will be motivated to do the same in the present and the future. Just go to Openline radio.org. Scroll down until you see the link that says A free gift from Chosen People Ministries. Click on that and you'll be taken to a page where you can sign up for your very own copy of Uncommon Allies. Welcome back to Open Line. It's a special day here. It's clearing the spindle. We're answering the the questions you've mailed in every nick is with me, Tricia McMillan. And we're going to go right back to the mailbag right now. Tricia.
S3: All right. Our next question is from a man in Illinois who listens to WNBA and says, what is the difference in meaning between Savior, Messiah, and Lord?
S1: Well, they're all three different words.
S3: Uh, they are.
S1: Yeah. I mean, they're not they're not.
S3: Use them.
S1: Interchangeably. They're all about the same person. We use them interchangeably about the same person, but they don't. They're not synonyms at all. They're not even they're not related in meaning. Uh, I'll start with Savior. Eva. You can take Messiah.
S4: You bet about that.
S1: Uh, Savior is the word both in Hebrew and in Greek that's used in the Bible. It really means deliverance. And it can. The context tells us what kind of deliverance it might be, military or physical deliverance that God gives. He saves us. Oh, you saved me. You know that kind of word. And then, of course, it could be used of deliverance from sin, forgiveness of sin. He saved me from my sin. And that's how it's used, for example, in the message of of the angel that you'll name him Jesus. Uh, because that's the Hebrew word in Hebrew, the word Jesus is, uh, Yeshua, Yeshua. And it means salvation because he will save his people from their sins. So that's what Savior means.
S2: And the word Messiah, as we say it in English, actually means Anointed One. And because he was anointed, kings were anointed, priests were anointed. And he is the Anointed one as our Savior and Redeemer.
S1: And it came to have a technical sense to have.
S2: A technical sense specifically to the work of the son. And we know it. It translated into English as Christ. Christ is the Greek meaning for the Anointed one. Moshiach is the Hebrew or Messiah, as in English, so Christ and Messiah. Same word. Two languages like water and agua. Same word. Two languages.
S1: Right. So. Okay, so that's it. And it got this technical sense of being the future son of David who would come and deliver his people. And that's that's how it's used when Jesus, when we talk about Jesus the Messiah, the last word is Lord. It means master, but it is in in Greek. It's got the sense of curiosity sometimes can mean sir or master, but sometimes it can also mean God. Uh, and so context again declares what it is. Uh, and that's what it means. And so when, uh, when we use of our Lord, you know, we were we know the word Lord, Lord of the manor or things like that. Uh, but also we know, Lord God. And so context tells us.
S4: Okay.
S3: All right. Thank you. Um, I think an interesting verse, John 2031 actually uses at least a couple of these. These are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ or the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name. And so it it it can get, uh, we can we can stop trying to figure out, like, what do they all mean? Because sometimes they just got get all run together, like, that's like, okay, they're just talking about Jesus. Like, yeah, you know that they all that John 2031. What? All of those individual words have a different meaning.
S1: So when it says that, uh, that you might believe that Jesus, that's his earthly human birth name. Right. So that shows he's human is the Messiah. That's, uh, that has to do with his royal name. He's the promised son of David, the king. Uh, the king of Israel. And so that's his royal name. So a human name. Royal name, and then a. Royal title. And then that he's the Son of God that reflects his deity, his god name. His God title. So, uh, in that verse, it deals with human humanity, deity and royalty all. Three so yeah.
S2: That's a great verse to bring up.
S4: Trish.
S3: Great verse. Does the does the use of Jesus in that mean savior then? Yeah. The Yeshua okay. So it's actually using Savior and Messiah.
S4: Yeah. In the same sentence.
S3: God all in that same sentence.
S4: Yes. Son of God. Yeah.
S3: Son of God. But the deity aspect. Yeah. Okay. All right. Thank you. Thank you for that. Uh, we actually have a question from Judith in Minnesota asking about the phrase Son of God. Um, yeah.
S1: Son of man.
S3: I'm sorry. Son of man. You're right. Son of man. Um. In Ezekiel. Ezekiel himself is called son of man over 90 times. Jesus uses that term for himself. Um, does that mean just that they were the Son of Man, thus born from a human talking about that human side? Or does it have a greater meaning or a different meaning?
S1: Well, I don't. Son of man just means humanity. I don't believe the Lord Jesus was using it, uh, based on how Ezekiel was called human being. You know, that's what Son of Man means. Human. Um, he was using it based on Daniel seven. And, uh, in Daniel seven, there's a vision that Daniel sees of of God. He's called the Ancient of Days, the Eternal One, he says, as I kept watching in verse nine Daniel seven nine, I kept watching. Then it says, and a lot of people miss this. It says thrones were set in place, and the Ancient of Days took his seat. And then it describes what the Ancient of days. Now we can't ever see God. This is a vision. So it's. He's not actually seeing God. He's seeing a vision of God. And he's called the Ancient of Days. But there are two thrones. Uh, and I think that's interesting because who is the other throne for? It says Thrones, plural, were set up, and I watched it says, uh, and it says, I saw verse 13. I continued watching in the night visions, and I saw one like a son of man. This is another a figure that appears to be deity for the other throne, and he's like a son of man. He appears human, he looks fully human, but he's deity and he's coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was escorted before him, and he was given authority to rule and glory in a kingdom so that every people, nation, language should serve him. His dominion is everlasting and will not pass away. His kingdom is one that will not be destroyed. Point being, there's a divine figure in this passage who is looks like a human, a deity figure who looks fully human. And this is the passage that when the high priest asks the Lord Jesus, you know, are you the Messiah? This is in the Gospel of Matthew. Are you the Messiah?
S2: Uh, in Matthew eight. Is that. No, no. You think about Matthew 26.
S4: Yeah.
S1: Matthew 26. Uh, he says, are you the Messiah? How does, uh how does Jesus answer him? He says, uh.
S2: Uh, 20.
S4: 27.
S2: 20.
S1: Uh, he says, are you the Messiah? This is the high priest. I'm sorry. Matthew 26.
S2: 2624. Yeah.
S1: Go ahead and read that.
S2: It says, um, he says, are you the Messiah? And he says, yes. Jesus says, he who the Son of Man is going to go just as it is written of him. Is that the one you're thinking about?
S4: No, no.
S1: There's a I'm looking for it. You hear the pages turning here? Oh, oh, here it is.
S2: 64. 64.
S4: Yeah. 64.
S1: That's it.
S2: When he says, are you the Messiah, the Son of God? Said, the Son of God. And Jesus said to him, you have said it yourself. Nevertheless I tell you that hereafter you will see. You will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of power and coming on the clouds of heaven.
S1: That's a reference right back to Daniel 713 that we just read. And. in my opinion, the Lord Jesus uses the term Son of Man not to emphasize his humanity, as many commentators say, but because he uses it based on Daniel seven, it's to emphasize that he is the God man. He is that figure that everyone knew. So when he calls himself the Son of Man, he is doing that. And to show that this is true, when he quotes it here with Daniel 713, what does the high priest do? He tears his robes and says he's blasphemed. Why does he think he's blasphemed?
S2: If Jesus were just saying I'm a human being like you, that wouldn't be blasphemy.
S4: But by claiming.
S1: To be the Son of Man in Daniel seven, he's claiming deity. And as a result of that, the high priest says, oh, that's blasphemy. You can't, you can't say that. So when you read the Gospel of Luke and or Mark and Jesus favorite self description is that he is deity, son of man, he says, the Son of Man, because he says that over and over. Well, that's what he's doing. He's claiming deity from Daniel seven. I hope that answers that for you. Thanks for listening, everyone, because the first hour is complete. The second hour is coming up on most of these stations. Stay with us. Or if your station doesn't carry us, you can always listen on the Moody Radio app or online during the break. Check out our web page, Open Line radio.org. You can even post your question there under Ask Michael a question if you have it. The Bible study across America will continue in the second hour with my friends and my friend Tricia McMillan, my wife, Eva Radonich. Uh, we're glad to be with you. Open line with Doctor Michael Riddell. Nick is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute. More questions coming up straight ahead. Stay with us.