Speaker 1: Duly noted podcast is brought to you by Vice store credit union. We never forget that it's your money and ABC fine wine and spirits always be celebrating. This is the duly noted podcast. Everything with your host.
Speaker 2: Okay. Welcome to another edition of the duly noted podcast.
Speaker 3: We're not far away from where you go to a week. That'll be after the first game and of course then we'll do a kind of a wrap up of the things that happen including the Florida game and then a look ahead on Thursdays so it'll be Tuesday Thursday. So anyway. But right now I know everybody I got a lot of really nice e-mails from people that were really happy to see the podcast back and text messages as well. You may sense a little bit of excitement in my voice and a lot of it has to do with the fact that TV Times were announced for several of Florida's games and it did feel like again another step forward. I it could all blow up. We don't know. I mean I'm not going to sit here and say we're there's definitely gonna be football September 26. I think there will be there probably will be but we don't know what's going to happen. I mean shoot. Anything can happen. So I'm not going to get too excited but there is excitement in my voice. And again we're not going to go to the opening game as far as I know where we're at at least the mode is that we're not going to go. It makes no sense for Robbie Knight to go all the way to Oxford and watch a zoom call and then draw and then fly back or drive back.
Speaker 4: I don't know if we'd fly anyway. So but I'm still happy that it's a new game and nobody can complain because you get up in the morning you watch that game and then there are other games after and there are games going on. In fact Kentucky Auburn which is a game I'm interested in I can now just sit in my office and watch Florida play Ole Miss with the sound on it and pay attention to it. But you know Kentucky Auburn game will be off in the peripheral. I can put that on the other TV. It excites me. Hopefully we get we get there it's day by day step by step.
Speaker 3: But for those of you who don't know the analysis a little while ago before I felt I started taping this that Florida's first two games will be new in games against Ole Miss Of course there and against South Carolina here a little bit later in the show heat. Kline is going join us. You guys know Heath. He's been he was around here forever doing radio and now up in South Carolina in Columbia doing radio up there so we'll have him on the show to talk a little about about South Carolina. Also they announce the LSU game for three thirty but it's an ESPN game so it's kind of funny.
Speaker 4: I wonder if this has anything to do with it being an ESPN game instead of a CBS game with the fact that LSU continues to get gutted every day on almost a daily basis.
Speaker 3: And I'll get to that later or if it's just that they have LSU on for a lot of other games they announced some of the CBS games the first day it'll be CBS will be Mississippi State at LSU there's there's one example village you playing so we'll go right into that now. I'm really this is going to be a surreal experience. My wife and I were talking we've only seen one Florida football game together in our lives in our lives gay and that was the Kentucky game the year of Tebow concussion game. I did not go to that. I don't want to get into the reasons for it. It all worked out for the better. One day I'll tell you the whole story but not right to tell a story right now. But anyway I didn't go to that game.
Speaker 5: That was the only game I have missed.
Speaker 3: Florida game since 94 four because ninety four is when I quit being columnist and started writing again I could being sports editor and started writing again. So my wife and I have not been to a game a game a watched a game either now.
Speaker 4: So we're gonna watch them all this year or maybe all. I don't know if we're gonna go to the home games. I think we will. I mean we're leaning towards it we're still going to be doing only zone calls but I do feel like like you don't want to spend a bunch of money to go and maybe get one paragraph of atmosphere you know. I mean the growth is not going to be open in all that stuff with a home game you can.
Speaker 3: It's worth going and getting some atmosphere and you know the social distancing and it will be there and it's not like we're going to be exposed that much but I'm not 100 percent sure just because I still have I'm still leery. You know you make it to 26 weeks of this crap and you don't want to blow it now. So anyway we do know that just just quickly some of the other games tick saying them Alabama will be on the second week of the season 4 on CBS George Alabama. It will be an eight o'clock game on October 17th. That sounds like a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to that. LSU Auburn on the thirty first in of course Florida George will be 330 it's it's in the contract they there's no big announcement there. Alabama LSU will be a six o'clock game on December 14.
Speaker 5: We were I did see a great tweet from Peter Byrnes talking about how the day that LSU and know that I'm sorry that f that I'm sorry that Alabama LSU game is the day of the third round of the Masters it's also my birthday November 14th. Thank you very much. All guests are welcome.
Speaker 3: And can you imagine that moment when CBS goes and that's that's it for the for the third round of the Masters Bryce into shambo and Tiger Woods tied for a lead that ought to be a great day tomorrow and now we take you to LSU and Alabama I mean this is surreal to think about that and exciting. Now I don't know we're going to see it but it's still going to be exciting. So that's where we are with the times of games and the funny thing is I had written down I was doing the notes for the podcast today and I had written down when are we going to get the TV schedules.
Speaker 4: And then I then I wrote next to it. Does it really matter because look guys none of us. Well not now I won't say none of us. Most of us are not going to any football games this year.
Speaker 3: We may go to some home games. You may go to some home games. Depends on whether you're where your priorities are in terms of ticket numbers and everything like that whether you can get a ticket for the game.
Speaker 5: I'll get into that in just a minute to but for the most part we're gonna be sitting home watching football. It does matter what time they're playing it okay. And they can announce it on Friday. You're not having to make plans to flaunt to drive up to Gainesville. Stay in a hotel or go on the road only 500 tickets available for the school to distribute for 4 road games. You're not going to Oxford gay you know so they get it. They could have waited till Friday to announce outside game would've gone right now.
Speaker 4: I'll set the alarm for 11:00. I'll sleep until 11:00.
Speaker 5: Get up have some breakfast and watch the Gators play Ole Miss to open the season.
Speaker 2: Now I will say this this this this discuss this real quickly and then we'll take our first break which we always take around this time.
Speaker 4: The fact that the game is a new game means it's eleven o'clock game out there. That's never good when you're the visiting team. But a lot of coaches love it. They love to get that game done. Get back. You know if that that plane will pull out of Oxford Mississippi Eastern time around I don't know five thirty six o'clock.
Speaker 5: You may be home in time to see the eight o'clock games or nine o'clock games anyway.
Speaker 2: So in that part of it is good.
Speaker 5: But you always worry about a team going on the road for an eleven o'clock game even though you're about your your alarm clock its internal alarm clock is still set for noon but still you have to get up a breakfast and it's got you got to make sure you hydrate and get everything done.
Speaker 4: And we're dealing with all this situation obviously and you're going to be in a hotel it's gonna make you a little nervous too so you get the nerves starting the season the nerves of staying in a hotel which usually you kind of get out of the way because you stay in a hotel for camp but they're not doing that this year and you know that I will say this that game is kind of ripe for an upset. Nobody knows what Lane Kiffin is going to throw at him but I think the Florida team is really good and we will be talking about that more as we go along.
Speaker 3: All the things we're hearing from and last night there was a zoom call with Todd Grantham a couple of defensive players which is great. Glad Florida's doing that.
Speaker 5: I did ask them a lot about that last week that I thought we needed to get to that point. People need to hear from the players. And so I thought it was great.
Speaker 4: But when you hear everybody who talks about this team they want this day in Mullin or are now Todd Grantham and I think Wednesday we get Brian Johnson as well. It's all positive positive positive. Now I've always said this is one of my many sayings I got to write these down in a book one day. One of my many sayings is the only news that can come out of pre-season camp is bad news. You're never gonna get good news because you don't know if it's true or not. We're not allowed out there. Nobody's allowed out there except you know the players and and the staff and the trainers and stuff. So for all we know Kyle Pitts has dropped every pass he's been thrown. They can say he's caught everything and he's making circus catches. We don't know that. We assume that they're telling us the truth. But I also wonder if coaches are a little more like I'm trying to think of the right word effusive in their praise because you don't want guys opting out and you don't want to you know remember the guy last year was a Blige who was a starter an offensive line and he quit as after the Georgia game right. He quit. And the reason he quit apparently was because he was tired of getting yelled at me hard to yell at guys man. I don't know if they're having to adjust their coaching style because also the guy goes That's it I'm opting out. I wonder how. So again I'm a a worry about what the coaches say and how good these guys are doing. We'll find out in a while. Right. If they start playing games we'll take a break. By the way it should be game week this week we should be sitting here talking about the first game if none of this had happened.
Speaker 3: We'd be talking about the opening game but it's still we're going to talk about a lot of other games and a lot of other things that are going on and certainly what is going on around the country in terms of players opting out. I do have three things ready for you. We will get Heath Cline on here and. OK so let's take a break. We'll do that. We'll be back with more of the duly noted podcast at gator sports icon.
Speaker 6: Bring game day tailgate home this season after a stop at ABC fine wine and spirits stock up your huddle with beer hard Seltzer is your favorite wine or something sparkling. ABC is Florida a family owned and has been getting Gator fans ready for kickoff since 1936. Head inside one of their one hundred twenty five stores around the state or try their curbside service by ordering online at ABC F.W. dot com. ABC access loyalty members can save 10 dollars on wine 10 percent on beer and hard shelters and earn points toward five dollar coupons.
Speaker 7: ABC Always Be celebrating advice da. We believe in better especially in helping build a better financial future for our members.
Speaker 8: So we've reviewed our offerings from the ground up. We've lowered or eliminated over half our fees and enhanced our already competitive rates saving members more than a million dollars this year. In addition to the millions we save them every year. If you believe that saving money is better joined by star we never forget that it's your money.
Speaker 9: All loans subject to approval insured by NCAA.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the duly noted podcast. Okay so now that we know some of the game times and we also know that Kansas and wall and Wake Forest and decided no fans at all.
Speaker 3: I wrote about this in my back nine.
Speaker 10: If you didn't see it I talked to Scott Stricklin on Monday about why Florida has not announced or ticket policy.
Speaker 5: And basically you know he said I don't want to have to walk something back. Said we we don't know we want to wait and see what happens with the students coming back for a few weeks.
Speaker 2: What happens with Labor Day a few days after Labor Day. Do we have a spike there.
Speaker 4: What happens when we watch the NFL Play. College football is cranking up. I mean I know there was a game on Saturday and I watched it believe me but college football's cranked up a little bit more. It's almost like a like an engine that you're the first time you turn it it doesn't do anything and the second time you turn a car. And then the third week it earned rent a room a room and then by the fourth week it's either. That's where we are with college football. They want to see what happens with those games and what happens in the aftermath of those games. Sure look they've got seventy five percent of the tickets that were sold season tickets were sold. People have not cashed in refunds or asked for it to be held for next year. They're saying we're at work. We're good with it. We'll wait and see like you. And that's where Florida is flying. Florida is doing the smart thing. I think the FCC has been the smart one. I think Florida's been even one of the smarter teams and I think they have a very smart HD and that's why they're saying oh wait wait. In a few weeks we'll let you know how many people we're going to let in there and I will tell you that a zero attendance is not off the board.
Speaker 5: If there is if it's bad enough Spike wise you know to predicate that I don't think it's it's off the board. I don't think that'll happen. I think if Florida feels like the FCC feels like things have gotten really bad again they will be more likely to cancel the season than to have no fans that's just my gut. But I mean we'll see what happens because we we're seeing it around the country and again not a.
Speaker 4: Not only that but the financial situations for everybody just continue to hear bet you hear bad news stories and this is part of the the issue that I think everybody is dealing with is Texas cut a bunch of people I think they had 40 people a laid off and 40 more vacant jobs are not going to fill and made everybody take a pay cut if they made more than 30000 Texas Tech cut a bunch of people we've already seen other schools cut a bunch of people I feel for man they didn't do anything wrong they just you know again this goes back to what I've talked about before the more money college athletic departments make the more they spend and sometimes there is there is definitely a lot of fat it's not that hard to cut but it's not that doesn't make it easier for the people who are being cut they now are part of the unemployment generation which we've just come out of nowhere and had to deal with.
Speaker 5: So we'll see what happens there. Interesting today right before I came in here to do this is that Donald Trump in the Big Ten talk today. And Trump is trying to get them to play trying to find a way for them to play.
Speaker 4: And you know we'll get more tests here we'll get rapid testing to all this stuff look And look I'm not going to say this is a right thing wrong thing. I don't want to get too political list but this is a political move. We all know it is he wants to win the state of Ohio. He's talking to the Pac 12 about this right. He went to California you know. So there is a reason behind this but I hope I hope it works from that aspect of it certainly that the Big Ten finally sees here their ways. But you know the Big Ten has screwed this up totally and then the story about maybe we'll start on Thanksgiving. Look no matter what they do unless they come and play with everybody else and I'm not saying it's right to play with everybody else. Please let me be clear about that. All I'm saying is the way they have handled it from a PR standpoint and from a lack of transparency standpoint when all of a sudden just now we found out what the vote was it was 11 3 on the are not to play. OK. What are you going to said that that day. They have not done a very good job. I'm not saying they're wrong not to play. We'll find out. And I'm I'm sure even if the FCC and HCC and big will fly through the season with no problems that still doesn't mean necessarily they were wrong to cancel they had their reasons and that's fine.
Speaker 11: But they just have look come and. And of course the PAC clubs out there going No doo doo doo doo doo doo.
Speaker 4: Hey man these waves are going to be narrowly today.
Speaker 12: Are they playing football.
Speaker 4: I think the Pac twelve has been way more embarrassing than the Big Ten the Big Ten has been proactive and done a lot of things and and and thought they could maybe bully the other Congresses into not playing so they wouldn't look bad and didn't work the PAC well just like oh whatever they tell us to do we'll do theirs. It's silly out there. Look I get it. If I was in the Pac twelve I would probably make the same decision as many hot spots as they have I get it but you can't act like you're only going to do with the Big Ten says and there's now there's talk about them totally change in the conference changing all the dynamics Hey to get Larry Scott out.
Speaker 10: That's first thing but that's not my problem. Obviously I tell you what we'll take a break now. We'll bring in Heath Klein. We'll talk to him about the schedule that came out today and of course about that Florida South Carolina game the second week of the season. And then when we come back we'll get into a bunch of other stuff. I got tons of stuff to talk about. Some sad news as well when you return because it feels like I have sad news every week it really is kind of I don't know if this is cause I'm getting old or people I know are getting old but at any rate we'll be right back with more on the duly noted podcast gators more Stockholm the duly noted podcast is brought to you by Vice store credit union.
Speaker 1: We never forget that it's your money and ABC fine wine and spirits always be celebrating. All right.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the duly noted podcast a great pleasure to be joined by my good friend Heath Klein of course you guys remember his dulcet tones from when he was doing radio around here in Gainesville and now up in Columbia. Well last week we talked to Richard Cross to talk about Ole Miss Florida's opening game this week we're going to talk to him about Florida second game and also all the stuff that's happened in the SCC we mentioned earlier times have been released for a lot of games and Heath I don't know whether to be excited or just kind of shove it over to the corner and say well we'll get to you later.
Speaker 13: I mean look everything that makes it a little bit more real I guess you get excited about it a bit but I mean we all kind of understand this thing pivot on a on a you know any piece of news any given moment. I mean like this week alone we know Auburn has 16 players according to Amazon that wouldn't be able to participate this week. So what would that look like. And we know that LSU at one point last week reportedly only had four offensive linemen available. So it all sounds awesome but then what's it going to be like when we get to the point where there's not enough time for that to resolve itself before a game supposed to get played. You know there's some time to move it back. But the SCC by putting it on the 26 they made the smart call and the idea that they'll let everybody else go first and if they have disastrous to the SCC could say well we we listen to science and we saw what happened and we got out after all. But at the same time they've given themselves very little room to move if there's problems. So now you see around the conference so these issues have popped up already and you do kind of say hey for all of us take what we can get enjoyed the best we can.
Speaker 14: But this is this is going to be a screwy season and we just have to accept that you know when time is at Tennessee South Carolina game slated for right now I don't have evidence from that game. Yeah they went 730 on that one. I'm sorry. I'll be able to sit back and watch that and obviously we're not going to go to Ole Miss.
Speaker 2: I mean we're not we're not out of our minds so that that's good if we get to that point but obviously for four it's pretty it's a pretty tough opening two games within the division for well most champ having to play Tennessee and then the mighty gators.
Speaker 13: Yeah and that you have game really will have a lot of emphasis on it because you look at it for South Carolina in a lot of ways the last two years are defined by the U.S. game last year after they had Florida down really felt like was a game they should have won and clearly got hosed was not a penalty that should have been called. That doesn't explain why the run was successful but still I mean the guy literally stood up before the FCC didn't call him and it winds up being a huge run for Florida they'd never seem to quite recover mentally from that. The rest of the year there were other factors too. Lenski got beaten up and he's trying to play the quarterback role as a true freshman the SCC which is hard enough already and there's a lot of reasons things went wrong. But yeah you think about how different much Jeff's season is perceived the year before if they finish the job against Florida and Philippe Franks resurrection game and then you think about last year and that they were really starting to make some headway there coming off the Georgia win and how that changed the mood that Florida game early on. That's what you feel like all right you aren't that far away from this team. You've competed with them in the fourth quarter each of the last two years. Can you actually find a way to pull one out against them because of the five teams on their schedule that are in the top 13. Well that's the one unless you count Georgia which again Georgia was such a weird situation last year it was very weird bizarre game that they won that game but for feeling like you're close to somebody in that group of five that are in the top 13 in the preseason poll Ford is clearly the one that you've shown you're closest to so can you do something with it finally.
Speaker 2: Obviously South Carolina got bad news with losing a running back obviously was a freshman women again. We don't know how good he would have been this year but they were excited about it.
Speaker 13: Pat Riley It was the most hype I'd heard on tailback since Lattimore and that includes to get a guy like Mike Davis who had a pretty nice career is in the NFL now and some other good players have come through. They really thought they had something with light and maybe they will but for this year he's out. And so that that was a big blow they've had almost no injuries they've had almost no covert issues but it's well must champ. So if you're going to have bad luck it's gonna be the most important possible spot you can have it.
Speaker 2: And that is he has when I call like to call Zook look which is he just can't seem to catch breaks a lot of times. And for example I'll give you the Florida game last year where they just beat Georgia and had a lot of momentum going and what do they get a hurricane that comes through dampens the crowd. They still play really well early and take that lead and and then not only on the on the one play that were for the touchdown by Damian Pierce but they also got a touchdown where there was a clear pick. Florida did Yep it was it was textbook. They've they show this to the referees and go Here's where you put the flag and they didn't. So let's look. Florida fans aren't complaining. They feel like they get jobs all the time too. But that was where you just feel like the most champ look came back to to beat him and you wonder with a guy like that if if he just star crossed all the time he doesn't seem to be the luckiest guy in the world.
Speaker 13: That's for sure. But having said that this year he has in a weird way had some luck because the reality is he was coming into a season where all the pressure was on him last year nobody went to the year thinking he was on the hot seat. He was on any national hot seat lists or anything like that. Then you lose your starting quarterback. You have some bad luck there but you get the win the knock at Ben. Well you have to beat the team those ranks that first year with Tennessee and that's Butch Jones so that almost doesn't count. So what do you get beat so big. Well you beat Georgia and so it looked like everything was still going to turn out okay. And then by the end of the year you had the new president talk publicly multiple times in ways that undercut much Champ's stability you had board members saying something else. It was it was really bad. I mean you had him in a position where he was put twisting in the wind which is just kind of unthinkable in the span of about four weeks that would for that Georgia game to that the only reason he's still there is because the buyout will now. I mean you know the reality Pat I mean every athletic department is taking a massive hit this year we know how big the haircut is we don't know yet but it's a huge one. Unless there's some booster with money burning a hole in his pocket to the tune of that 14 million dollars they can't get rid of Will Muschamp this year. Not to mention what it would say about just the overall standards of your university priorities if somebody is willing to spend eight plus figures to get rid of a football coach. So he at least for this year there's gonna be some hothead fans but for real meaningful pressure he's had it taken off of him in a way that before it could have been possible. So I don't think that's how you want to get there by any stretch of the imagination. But the idea of a you know you lose that Tennessee game and let's start talking about who's going to replace you. That kind of thing probably has eased and that's pretty important for him right now because it was setting up exactly like that point you're in Florida where everything just was already going to the year with. OK when are we going to have the moment where this is over. You know what's going to happen to be the final moment. Oh it's not the Missouri game.
Speaker 15: How is it not the Missouri game they lost 42 to 13 and they gave up like five yards. How did they do that. It's still is. OK. No it's not that.
Speaker 13: I guess it's the Georgia. We won the Georgia game. Well OK it's the South Carolina. Well they can't lose the South Carolina game. Oh no way to spur your team plus two kicks. Well sure they did. Yeah. And finally that's the end of must GAAP that whole bizarre sequence of events there. It felt like we were headed for that exact same thing in 2020 in South Carolina instead. It's probably not going to be much of a story.
Speaker 2: And for him that is like you know I think you would have to get as a head football coach you would have to get caught in a crack den to get fired this year. I mean when you see Texas and Texas Tech both laid off numerous employees in the last two days pay cuts all around buyouts are uncommon. You know you'd have to have a very small buyout I think to get fired. And I agree with you on that with well I think no matter what happens it again I think everybody every coach should be judged basically on the good things they do this year not the bad things. In other words if you if you take a stand for social justice and you keep your team with you and you you get them you you march like like he did and like Dan Mullen did. If you mean is the coveted thing really well and you handle things very well and you get your guys ready to play and you they may not win games. I'm just not sure there's a reason to fire anybody that has a significant buyout anywhere this year.
Speaker 13: The only reason I would think he could would be if you had some coach that you knew you could hire that you were sure you could hire and he was just so clearly an upgrade that you were just determined to go do it. So yeah I don't think Bob Stoops to sit around saying that I'd love to be coach South Carolina but if somehow he let it be known he would take the job well then maybe you view it differently than if you're talking about going out and try to hire Billy Napier from Louisiana for example or something like that. Well that's about the only scenario it is if you either have like you say just a total disaster you've lost the locker room everything is chaos or if you have that that unique super coach that is perfect for what you're looking for and I mean that's part of why last year they couldn't make the move the money was a huge part. But I mean look we saw an offensive line coach get an S.E.C. head coaching job. We saw Eli drink with soccer one year with another guys players get a four million dollar deal from Missouri. I mean that was just was not high quality coaching depth to work with last year to make hires. Arizona did not fire someone. Same reason they could find anybody they wanted. So yeah unless you've got that guy you're just in love with. It's just hard to see what the point would be if making a coaching change for most people this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And again this goes back to that part of the economic model that is college football the more money they get the more they spend. Carol quickly because I have one other question for you too. But but Heath what do you think of this football team this year. How do you think it's going to. I mean I think they're over under was like four and a half. I don't know.
Speaker 13: I don't if I go over on that the number I'd say was three and a half and I think it's perfect because the reality is look there's there's one game on the schedule they basically can't lose. Vanderbilt is a disaster this year. There's an outstanding chance they go in 10 and even in the spirit or leaves halfway year they still beat Vanderbilt. So I just I cannot imagine them losing to Vanderbilt at home. So you got one that you can't lose. You got five against teams in the top 13. You have been one of them as well as Georgia on the road against LSU. Texas CNN who you've not been able to make any headway with. You know Georgia I mean you just eat Auburn you've got games there that at least on paper you know maybe you could steal one maybe maybe have a weird situation where somebody is depleted and you take advantage. But on paper going into the year it's hard to say give you at most one of those games and that's it. And maybe none. So then you've got four other games that you basically have to be perfect in to get to five hundred and that includes a road trip to Kentucky and the final game of the year that's now in December and you know how Kentucky can be late this year. That could be a mighty chilly game.
Speaker 2: And a lot of money at times. Who knows by then what crowds are going to look like. I mean it could be that if you do have a home call home field advantage by then.
Speaker 13: Yes. So I mean you got you got a road trip to Ole Miss. Should get a Missouri home game that you know Missouri feels pretty winnable. I'd be surprised if they lost that one. But you know I could buy two an eight for this team if everything goes wrong and the games like Tennessee and Ole Miss and I could buy you know maybe five if they can go for one in the winnable games and then steal the one out of the others. But but when your high watermark is five hundred then it's hard to get super excited about the year and for them it's really more about can they just survive because the way the S.E.C. has set the schedule up three of their foremost winnable games are in their last four. So can you win the Tennessee game in particular is gigantic because if you don't then the only game that's not against what those top 13 teams is the ante in week three. So you're looking at probably being 1 in 5 2 and 4 at best if you don't beat Tennessee start the season and then who knows where you are mentally by the time you get to Ole Miss of Missouri and Kentucky they're a little bit more winnable they're down the stretch.
Speaker 14: Before I let you go across the state I'm curious what your thought was and I always get cracked up on national NFL guys and national guys try to talk about college sports because they don't understand it but when the discussion about Dabo Sweeney go into the Jaguars and Trevon Lawrence I left I literally had a spit take when I heard that because that seemed a little silly to me put it this way Dabo does not feel in any way like he is someone who is cut out to be an NFL head coach who holds the jets was before my time Pat but I've heard the stories about how he had like a fight song he won the Jets saying in South and how it was just a disaster that's what that feels like Dabo in the NFL feels like that.
Speaker 13: The one thing though would be if you are Davao and for whatever reason you find yourself in a situation where something changes where the world is not totally to your liking and there is a scenario. Dan radical which they did there. Their name. His name is is very much in the mix for the FCC commissioner John. So let's just say hypothetically radical which leaves and somehow the new guy despite the fact that your only job is make Dabo Happy doesn't make Dabo happy. Maybe then you could decide you know what. I could go get a giant salary see if I could do the NFL thing with Trevor Lawrence and on top of that it's even easier to come back to take that Alabama job after Nick Saban leaves than it was to leave Clemson in the first place and go to Bama and even talk to Bama while you're at Clemson now would be mighty hard. I think it would almost disrespect what you had built there if you're Dabo but to possibly leave the Jaguars after two years you're literally following the slave and models so I think that's likely. I don't think that's likely at all but that's the one thing because remember people forget Roy Williams turned down the North Carolina job the first time that was offered. That's how they wound up with Bill Guthrie as the coach for three years and then three years later when they hired Dorsey it was because again. Right. Right. I'm sorry I screwed up. Guthrie got the job did Roy Williams was going to get it on the backside it gets rich. And it was it was dirty for three years because he turned it down. And when Roy Williams turned it down a flawed everybody because that wasn't supposed to happen. But he stayed of Kansas. And then after dawn he didn't work out three years later he takes the job in 2003. Why do you take it. Because Al Bowl had become the desert Kansas and somehow al bowl came in for Fresno State Rep. Roy Williams the wrong way and so three years later he is willing to bail when he wasn't three years earlier. So yeah you never know. Just Jeff sometimes and you know Pat I mean Spurrier part of wipes for your left. Was that the president it changed Lombardi wasn't there young was and some things have changed and so you never know if radical which is out that be the one thing I'd say maybe I'd buy it right now. Yeah.
Speaker 14: I'd be real surprised by the way I asked Spurrier about it today we were called.
Speaker 2: We were talking about some other things and asked him about that and he said he was talking about well you know in the day when I did it you could triple your salary. Course that was a dumb ass thing to do to leave for the NFL. I don't know what I was thinking sir because he's just priceless. You know that's why we love him so much. Hey. And that's why we love you he. Thank you so much for joining us. We'll be back more with more of the duly noted podcasts here at gator sports dot com.
Speaker 1: OK. Thanks to Heath Klein.
Speaker 5: We appreciate his time and one of my best friends. We worked together for so long we had so many great lively discussions. That was the great thing about it.
Speaker 3: So we do have football this week but I'm OK. I didn't you know I usually give you the odds and stuff on Spirit spreads on game and I don't worry about it right now. We'll get to that next week. I promise you.
Speaker 5: In fact I'm going to be on a little bit of a vacation next week but I already told my boss I'm coming in to do the podcast Tuesday put that in your pipe because we're not we're not stopping. The only way we stop doing the podcast is if they stop playing football. OK. We're going to keep doing it because I know a lot of people really enjoy it and the time on the treadmill goes by a little faster. Right. All right.
Speaker 16: So you know the thing that's happening with LSU is amazing.
Speaker 4: And I like I had them lower in my pre-season poll my AP poll than obviously they were they ended up I think they were six in both and I had him eight. Right now where would I put him. I don't know if I'd had him in the top 10.
Speaker 5: Ma Chase ops out Tyler Shelburne more of their best defensive player ops out and I oh I almost think like they're like look this is not going well we don't think we're gonna go we're gonna be any like we knew coming back that it wasn't gonna be the same as last year and we were have a target on our back but we just don't think we're gonna be. We could see like seven and three and we don't necessarily want to be part of it and don't want to take a chance and get hurt both those guys are first round picks DeMar Chase maybe a top five pick. Now I don't know what it does to his draft status as the NFL looks at him and says well you must do you love football this is a question the NFL guys are always trying to ascertain how much do you love football because you didn't love it enough to go play with your teammates for whatever reason and it's you know I understand it and you've got that right.
Speaker 4: So that's happened. You know another one that was kind of under the radar Eli Johnson the starting center at Ole Miss. I think he opted out and now he's going to transfer. I think when I read we see this all over the place guys and I don't think I think one reason it hasn't happened at Florida and it could still. Like I said any any day Nelson two guys could opt out. But I think one reason is that the juniors on this team are players who have a chance to do some special and be high draft picks but they're not guaranteed it. They kind of need to play another year and do something. And the the juniors on this team already decided to come back because they got the input from the NFL and the NFL input. Well obviously wouldn't Very good. So they said hey we're coming back. So I think that's one reason maybe why Florida hasn't hasn't had this situation. And of course I think Florida's handled things really well. And I think they've done things the right way and I think the players feel pretty safe now. We'll see going forward.
Speaker 17: Now the students are back.
Speaker 5: So we got that. I don't want to do I don't even need to get into this whole Jaguar thing. You know I know there's some Jaguar fans out there that listen to this podcast man. It is amazing what is going on. You guys all know the numbers. The stretch run they had first thought top five draft picks none I'm still with the team Leonard Fournette the latest to get released because they couldn't find a it couldn't find a team that would trade for him. That tells you a lot about his attitude.
Speaker 4: I've been a big believer in this that that team they had in 17 had too much success at a young age and let it all go to their heads. And I think that's where a leader whether that leader is your head coach or an assistant coach or one of the players on the team. I don't think they had that guy.
Speaker 5: And I think that's why it's all blown up and now you're sitting here looking at this situation where it's tank for Trevor. A lot of people feel like I don't know how they're going to win three or four games. I asked this question on the other day who was I asking too. I can't remember now but anyway.
Speaker 4: Oh Mike Rocco. I said Who. How many do you think that C.J. Henderson one more game as a freshman in college or as a. Will he win more games as a rookie in the NFL first game first year I think about 1 4 games as a freshman not a great weight great way to start. Coach got fired he could win four games maybe in the NFL and coach get fired.
Speaker 5: So I feel bad for C.J. in a way but he's I'm sure he's pretty happy.
Speaker 4: Anyway so this whole thing about David I mentioned but he's I I don't I still don't see any way that's happened in and the other thing is you can't guarantee that somehow that Gardner means she doesn't go off on a couple of games and you know teams win and lose in the NFL bad teams win games good teams lose games in the NFL this is a college football where teams go to 12 and no all the time or eleven and one even really good teams go 13 and 3 and bad teams go four and twelve you know and that could happen and then all of a sudden somebody else goes through and all the jets go 3 and 13 and you don't have the first pick OK oh maybe you could Justin feels in course he hadn't played near although we'll see where that goes.
Speaker 5: What else did I want to talk about pre-season poll out for the American Athletic Conference. UCSF and Cincinnati basically almost a dead heat three points separating them. We are gonna do. I don't know if I'm even supposed to announce this but I'm gonna do it anyway. Jeanette which of course is our parent company. Now we're putting together our own FCC media day so we'll do a poll that'll come out soon.
Speaker 10: I'm sure the coaches will have a poll but we'll have our own poll to beat writers and an all FCC team and some other stuff. So be on the lookout for that in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: All right. Let's get to three things.
Speaker 18: It's time for three things.
Speaker 5: Number one I talked about how it just feels like every week I'm on here talking about somebody that we've lost some of some time to somebody I knew sometimes is somebody I don't know no I didn't know Monday was a really bad day my my wife's brother Michael passed away he'd been he'd been ill for a while. I don't want to get into specifics but he just you know events in his body gave out. It was just done. We're all we're all in these little vessels you know that's what we are. These bodies are our vessels. And at some point they just say son that's all I got. It's all you get. And it was very sad for her very sad for me. He was a sweetheart of a man just a great guy. And it makes me very very very sad. It's been a hard obviously a very difficult week for my wife's family. But you know I spent so much time with the guy it's very hard for me too and very hard for to lose somebody that young is he was certainly way younger than me. So we're on that same day we lose John Thompson. And that was you know I guess my relation with John Thompson Ali I interviewed him a couple of times and I was telling this story the other day. I the first time I interviewed John Thompson I I was afraid I was afraid because he's so smart. I was afraid of asking a stupid question. And you know me I can ask a stupid question I was petrified. I've never been that scared interviewing somebody because I just didn't want ask the wrong question. And luckily I think I got do it without being corrected or being told that was a dumb question. Mostly the story was about his son who was coaching against Florida in the NCAA tournament and that was the year Florida course won the first national championship. But that's John Thompson. You know I don't know if he's on the Mount Rushmore of coaches in terms of just coaching but he's out on the Mount Rushmore of coaches who affected the game and affected their players and affect the people around him. There's no doubt he'd be on that. And of course Chadwick Bozeman was a another tough loss over the weekend. You know obviously I didn't know him but I'd forgotten how he played the linebacker and Draft Day which is a movie I like. I know I know what I've got on Rotten Tomatoes. I like that movie a lot. I thought it was pretty cool with Kevin Costner. He played that and of course he played Jackie Robinson 42 which is I watched it again last night. I welled up a little bit thinking about it. So tough tough week and it feels like I don't know life is not fair. Well you have to kind of deal with it because it's not going to be it's not going to get any more fair. You know it's just isn't the vessels wear out for one reason or another Chadwick Bozeman had colon cancer. Obviously you're that young you're not going to get a call and ask a B to check to see if you've got it. You know nobody would tell you you should so anyway on that lively positive note let's switch off in number two on three things.
Speaker 4: I really enjoy the golf this weekend that that finish was incredible with Dustin Johnson making that roller coaster putt and then John Rahm making one right behind him in the playoff hole.
Speaker 10: It sets up for a fun week end of golf because it doesn't start till Friday. The Tour Championship and I was on the roller coaster myself with Billy Billy Herschel who looked like he was in. Then he was out and it went back and forth in fact my daughters got me watching she wants me to watch all the Harry Potter movies with her and so I'm doing it because I love her and she was right about Breaking Bad. She's usually right about every movie she makes me watch Harry Potter were three deep. OK so far and I'm going to go with a I like the first one a lot. The second one was not good in my opinion the third one was pretty good.
Speaker 19: They are long they are long.
Speaker 5: So I think we got number four tonight. But she said Dad you can watch. You don't have to watch his golf. Come watch it. So I taped it so I watch it. And I wouldn't sure for sure until I came back to see a Billy Herschel didn't make the top 30 and he did barely skin of his teeth. Happy for him. I'm such a Billy Herschel fan. I cannot tell you obviously. Fact maybe when the tour championships over. Of course can't get him on that well because the U.S. Opens VA employee so I say we get him on the podcast. I'll still try. I'll shoot for it at some point. But just the greatest guy in the world.
Speaker 4: So I root hard for him unfortunately starts out with a 10 shot deficit to Dustin Johnson the way they set up that tour championship which I get. But because you don't want to play all year to get to that point and then you're all and that's the way it used to be.
Speaker 5: Now everybody's even but this is a great opportunity for ability because yeah you set your schedule you're in everything now a term you want to play and you're in terms champions you're in all the majors you're in. I might have already been qualified forum but that's good news for a for Billy. But it was a lot of fun to watch.
Speaker 4: And number three because I don't I can't do a tweet of the week on a sign because the sign is visual but I want to share this with you.
Speaker 2: And I know that you may have already heard about this because it's making the rounds all over Twitter.
Speaker 5: There is a road sign from the Department of Transportation in Mississippi and you'll see it on the highway and you look and you won't be hard for you to find it. But here's what it says. Like the Big Ten stay home and avoid gatherings. That's their warning to people. This is in Jackson Mississippi.
Speaker 19: Man was Cole brother Cole not accurate.
Speaker 5: We'll see. Maybe they don't stay home. Maybe they do decide to play we don't we don't know what's going to happen there. I don't personally I don't think the president urging you to play is going to make that much difference. I don't care who the president is. You know like I said I know why did it. We all know why he did it so why not bother with the Pac twelve. But I don't think that's going to change I think the Big Ten is still trying to figure out what the hell they're going to do. Are we're going to play on Thanksgiving or you play January 1st.
Speaker 4: You're playing dome stadiums. They still and that's where I think they are again in the air.
Speaker 10: One of the areas where I think they screwed up is that they made the decision we're not going to play in the fall. What is our plan. Let's not announce it till we know what our plan is not just.
Speaker 5: We'll figure something out down the road come up with a plan. All right. That's going to do it for today's podcast. Hope you guys enjoyed it. And thanks so much to Heath Klein for coming on. And we'll get out of here. We'll be back Tuesday. And please please be safe. This thing isn't over yet. As you know please be safe wherever you are and try to remember to wear a mask when you're in public. It's not that hard. You have to wear shoes don't you wear a mask.
Speaker 10: All right. Till next time I'm Pat Dooley a sports columnist for The Gainesville Sun. I am deep. I am way back and I am out of here.