Speaker 1: Listen to The Sports Leader anytime, anywhere. Download KNBR, The Sports Leader app. Murph and Marcus continue live from the Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpot Studios.
Speaker 2: Casino Matrix, Progressive Jackpots are here. Where are you? Just drop in. 1-800-GAMBLER.
Speaker 3: Marcus Thompson of The Athletic covers it all. Obviously does a ton of Warriors. He's done that for years and years and years, but also focuses on the 49ers who are in the news. After Jed York gets arrested for a $ 140 solicitation of prostitution and pleads no contest, does the whole deal, pays the fines, it's done, it's dusted, it's over. The question is what will be the lingering effect on the ownership structure, et cetera, et cetera. Plus, you know, they got to beat the Rams week one. So, Marcus, good morning. Welcome back to Murph and Marcus. How you doing, man?
Speaker 4: What up, Marcus? Man, what's going on? I only got 120. So I guess I'm not doing that great. See, there you go.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 4: There you go. My fault. I know. I know.
Speaker 3: Everybody's got them. Everybody's got them. The 140 seems to be a really big focus for people. It really does.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 3: All right, buddy. What does this mean? So Parag Barate left a couple months ago. Nobody really paid attention to it.
Speaker 2: And now this.
Speaker 3: Now we find out the sad news that Jed and Danielle are filed for divorce in May.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Is there something there about the 49ers' ownership structure or the hierarchy, the top of their executive chain being a little unstable?
Speaker 4: I mean, of course it is. And especially as we see the constant drama this team goes through, there's a lot of self-inflicted wounds that end up becoming a cloud over their training camp and leading into their season. And you got to wonder... If it's messy up top, it's probably going to be messy trickling down, right? It's going to be messy at the bottom. You always look to ownership. I mean, this team cannot have a peaceful training camp. It's wild. And for this to be the latest thing, it really just shows that I'm sure they want to. I'm sure they're trying, but it just feels like they're incapable of of a peaceful, calm, productive training camp. And now the owner is in it. So, yeah, I think all of this stuff starts from up top. That's the first place to go when looking for accountability.
Speaker 5: Marcus, this is an organization that's won five Super Bowls. It should be one of the most well-respected organizations, not just in the NFL, but across the sports landscape. But right now, it doesn't feel like that. With this Jed York situation, with the Kyle Shanahan car accident, You throw in Brandon Ayuk in the substation. It kind of feels like the 49ers are being viewed as a laughingstock right now. How bad of a look is this right now for this 49ers organization?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think this is the worst look, but I do think this matters because they are such a respected franchise. I mean, this is one of the the premier franchises in the NFL historically. So I think that's why it's such a big deal. And this is the worst of them all. I mean, the substation, you know, there's a lot of like internet cuckoo behavior, right? So it's almost like, Hey, what are we supposed to do? Except for the fact that they put the, put the, put the stadium there. But, but this is, this is, I mean, a car accident happened, right. And how that was handled. How they came out about it was, you know, a self-inflicted wound and, you know, brought about all of this drama. You know, another sign that they just really bundled these situations. But this is bad. Like, this is where you become the laughingstock, right? What is it? Wheat Hill? Wheat? What's the place called?
Speaker 3: Wheat Hill Mobile Park. Wheat Hill Mobile Park.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah. Like, this is the type of stuff that ends up, you know, in cartoons and stuff. You know, as the joke that doesn't go away. Now we heal this type of stuff that becomes part of, like, the zeitgeist, and now people don't ever forget it. And, you know, it's a cultural phenomenon. So to make this blunder, this type of blunder, in this age, right, in this era, it's probably more embarrassing than it is harmful. But these, you don't really get away from that easily.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you're right. I mean, with all, you know, the car accident and Parag and divorce and this, it's all, it's tough. And it trickles down. It does. It does.
Speaker 4: Man, oh, man.
Speaker 3: I mean, they're going to go out to practice today and they're going to go to Vegas Thursday. And I mean, we'll see. They'll have to push back against this narrative for sure. Larry Kruger texted in to say he thinks one of the angles is that maybe Kyle and John come out with more job security issues. Because stability is what they need now. I mean, I don't know if Kyle and John's jobs were insecure at all.
Speaker 4: I mean, for sure, like, it would be really hard to make a change in that sense. And if you're doing that, like, it's like, yeah, you're completely starting over. Right? Like, all right, we're doing it. We need a full reset. And that's even more risky because what if you mess that up? It just feels like, to be honest, John Lynch feels like the most stabilizing force in his relationship with Kyle. But you could also talk about how they handle contract situations and somehow that's always a thing. Perhaps, I don't even think it's always a bad thing to tell a player, hey, you're not getting what you need. But when you add all this stuff and you deal with the Brandon Ayoub situation, you know, perhaps everybody has a place where they can tidy up. But that does feel like the most stable part, and probably because it's just directly connected to football. But they still haven't done the thing that they're there for, which is win the Super Bowl. So, like, it just feels like a lot, and there's always something, and they're the franchise that always gives, right? So from our perspective, it's great. If they're not winning, if they're not acquiring big names, Right? They're, you know, using pocket change to have a little fun in East Palestine, Ohio. Oh, boy.
Speaker 5: Well, Marcus, I know that the path to potentially winning Super Bowl this year starts week one down in Australia, and it sounds like the 49ers could have some reinforcements. They announced this weekend that George Kittle was activated off the PUP list. Now, no guarantees that he plays week one, but after hearing that news this weekend, how would you handicap his odds for playing week one against the Rams?
Speaker 4: I would still... Put them pretty low. I mean, that's a long way to travel, and they are spending a week out there. So maybe that helps some. But then you got to come, you know, you got to make this trek back. And we all know flight ain't really good for recovery. So it's a good sign, but, you know, it's just based on their history and how critical he is and how they seem to be, one devastating injury from being derailed, I would guess they would choose caution in this situation. But it is George Kittle, and, you know, to do these violence for breakfast, keeping him off the field might be tough. But I'm saying, hey, relax. Welcome back, but hold off. And it's not like they don't have anything tied in. Like, you know, Purdy will have somebody to throw the ball to who he feels good about. It won't be Kittle, but he'll have something. So, to me... if the smart money is on the rest of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, could be, could be.
Speaker 3: We'll see. As Matt Barrows said, your colleague at the athletic, that the ramp up is going to have to be steep because they leave a week from tomorrow. I mean, that's really soon. And these Achilles injuries, Marcus, I mean, you, I don't know, same as the, think back to, we've talked about this before, I think, but used to be a career ender. And now it happened in January. And he's talking about playing in September. Mike Crabtree even came back faster than this. And, Who was the running back for the Rams? Was it Kyron Williams who came back so fast? Cam Akers. Cam Akers. I mean, man, is that the same in the NBA?
Speaker 4: It's getting there, yeah. I mean, Tatum came back pretty fast, Jason Tatum, after tearing his. You know, Damian Lillard, he took longer, but he was older, right? He was in his late 30s. You know, Klay took a little longer. I think the younger... The younger players are recovering faster. It's definitely not... Remember, it used to be you're done. And the other key part I think we're seeing, like, as far as the progress goes, is even when you came back, you lost a lot, and it was noticeable. I think that's a little bit fading, too. I think you're seeing athletes come back from Achilles and refinding some pop, all right, and still not losing some explosiveness. So that bodes well. You know, NFL players are already... Right. So if anybody can get there, it's them. I remember I remember Jerry Rice broke paradigms about ACL when he came back. So NFL players are built a little different. So I'm not surprised at all.
Speaker 5: Marcus, you just mentioned a name, Clay Thompson, and we actually just played sound on our show yesterday of him talking about his recovery from that Achilles injury, but also his decision to sign with the Miami Heat after completing the buyout with the Dallas Mavericks. How do you think Clay Thompson is going to fit in in Miami on and off the court, Marcus?
Speaker 4: I was about to say, what are we talking about? In the arena? I think he's going to fit in well in Miami. Is there any player more made for South Beach than Clay Thompson? No. It just feels so perfect that Klay is there. If anybody knows how to enjoy the chill vibe of Miami and South Beach, it's Klay Thompson. Also, I do think he fits on the basketball court. I think it's a great choice by him because he has the thing they don't have. Like, they need shooters badly. They got Bam. They got Giannis. I mean, the paint is congested, right? That's the most packed the paint team. Like, everybody will pack the paint, and they need people who can shoot. They lost Norm Powell. So, you know, Andrew Wiggins is a pretty good shooter. He can burn you from three, but he's not somebody who terrifies defenses. Clay out there, man. Clay, you still think, hey, this dude could just go crazy, and he's going to open up the lane for them. Like, it's a perfect fit. I think he might even end up starting because the fit is so good, where in Dallas, you know, he spent a lot of time coming off the bench, and he's trending towards this, all right, off the bench, higher gun. I could see him being so useful for what they have that they start him. And you know Clay want to start, so you know he's still– he still feel like he's one of them guys and he could probably become that in Miami.
Speaker 3: That's, I mean, just love to see, I can't wait for the social media content from, it's going.
Speaker 2: To be lit.
Speaker 4: It's going to be lit. Deliver the good.
Speaker 3: Hey, Warriors did make one small transaction. If not small, Brandon Williams, six foot one guard out of Arizona scored 13 a game in Dallas gets to the rim, gets to the line. You like it?
Speaker 4: Absolutely. You know, I normally get a little weary about getting guys because they hurt you. And Brandon Williams is one of them guys they just couldn't guard. And it's like, man, let's go get this guy because we can't guard him. But in this case, he does the thing they need. He is a put my head down and go get a bucket. He's tough. He's physical. This to me is a good pick. I think they need it. two or three of these, these type of players, they're not going to move the needle. You're not going to win the press conference, right? You're not going to silence social media, but man, these players are pretty good and they, they have value and you've seen them, you've played against them. So he's good. He's fast. He's athletic. He's young. He can get hot. Like, yeah, no, this is to me. I like this figure. I like this a lot. I think, I think this was a sign of what they, this is the direction I would have went from the beginning.
Speaker 5: Marcus, one last question for you real quick on the Golden State Valkyries, who beat the Minnesota Lynx last night for the first time in franchise history. Now I'm seeing people on social media saying that it's their biggest regular season win ever. Obviously, for those of the audience that don't know, the Minnesota Lynx had the best record in the WNBA. So how significant do you think that win was last night?
Speaker 4: I actually think it was huge. Because when you begin bullied by a team, you know, especially, and they just got through celebrating, like on your court, right? And, you know, Minnesota's a team, they talk. Like, you know, Kayla McBride hit the night-night after she hit the big three to basically seal it. Like, you got night-nighted on your own court. To me, that loss on, you know, I think it was Wednesday, put like a doubt over the Valkyries. Probably not in their locker room, but it was like, okay, this is a championship team and you can't beat them maybe you're not a championship team yet. So for them to go into Minnesota and beat them and hold them to the lowest total they've had offseason, and they didn't have Courtney Williams, but they still had enough. Like, that was a we'll-see-you-in-the-playoffs type of win. Like, if it's 1-2 and it comes down to the finals and it's me against you, That win will make them feel a whole lot better that they can beat them. Because they didn't just beat them. It wasn't luck. It wasn't like, oh, it was a fluky win. Man, they made Cheryl Reeves pull a plug with three minutes left. She sat the starters. Like, that was a resounding response by the Valkyries. And I'm telling you, I don't know if people are paying attention, but Veronica Burton is the most... Bay Area point guard we've ever seen. Like she, I mean, people would love this woman, man. She does everything on the court. And she was a big reason. She shut down Olivia Miles for the second time this season. Shut down Olivia Miles. And Natalie Nicosia was like, you go at Olivia Miles every time. So not only did she shut her down, she went after her. And this is the type of player that the Bay loves, just tough as, is all get out and can play. So that was a monster win that I think has playoff implications, even though it doesn't do much in the standings.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Good stuff.
Speaker 3: Playoffs don't start until September 27. So we've got a month to go, man.
Speaker 4: With only five games.
Speaker 3: They clinched too early. They're like the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: They clinched too early.
Speaker 4: Well, it's the FIBA World Cup. They've got a FIBA World Cup break.
Speaker 3: Hydration break for the next month. But anyway, we'll be looking forward to that. And you're right. Who knows? Now the Lynx have a little seed of doubt in their heads.
Speaker 2: So, all right.
Speaker 3: Wide-ranging chat, Marcus. And, you know, dude, stay out of the Wheat Hill. Mobile home community.
Speaker 4: I promise you, I promise you it won't be 140 for me. If I ever go that route, which I won't, but if I ever did, uh-uh.
Speaker 3: They're calling it San Francisco 149ers. There you go, buddy.
Speaker 4: Oh, boy. All right, Marcus, be good. We'll be reading you. Thanks, man. All right. Peace.
Speaker 3: He's laughing. All right. We'll finish up. We don't have to talk about jet all the time. We can talk about Turner Hill hitting cleanup or, uh, you guys, uh, what you discovered at the ballpark last night or Kidley Rasmus is curveball.
Speaker 5: Talk a little four wing action at the ballpark.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Or Padres owners or things like that. Uh, just a fun finish to the show coming up. Oh, we got tickets to, to sticks in Chicago. It was Bobby and pleasant Hill who won yesterday. Who can win today? You got to hear a sticks or Chicago song though. Don't be calling until you hear a Styx or a Chicago song on The Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Listen to The Sports Leader anytime, anywhere. Download KNBR, The Sports Leader app. Murph and Marcus continue live from the Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpot Studios.
Speaker 2: Casino Matrix, Progressive Jackpots are here. Where are you? Just drop in.
Speaker 4: 1-800-GAMBLER.
Speaker 6: Swing, and there's a shot deep into right center field, into Triples Alley, way back there.
Speaker 3: Adios, Pelota!
Speaker 6: To the deepest part of the ballpark, right next to the 415 side, a three-run homer for Rafael Devers, and now it is 5-0 Giants.
Speaker 3: Hey, how's this for a rejoin? Look at Jacob Violante the Vigilante giving you a little Devers bomb and the chance to win two tickets to see Sticks in Chicago. Marcus, you got your sheet over there, buddy?
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 5: You need to borrow my sheet?
Speaker 4: I got you. I got a sheet for you.
Speaker 3: There it is. Holy sheets. Holy sheets.
Speaker 5: Sticks.
Speaker 3: Sticks has played the first two. We need Chicago at some point this week. Sticks in Chicago, September 4th, Toyota Pavilion at Concord. A little Labor Day weekend action. Call John Joe Curley like Bobby and Pleasant Hill did yesterday. Call number 10 at 415-896-KMBR.
Speaker 2: Two tickets.
Speaker 3: See Sticks in Chicago at Toyota Pavilion in Concord September 4. Prize furnished by Live Nation. Find the official rules at thesportsleader.com. This is hilarious. It's like a little, like, renaissance thing.
Speaker 2: Like, brrrr, do-do-do-do-do-do.
Speaker 3: Anyway, please, tickets are on sale now through LiveNation.com. That was one of the more underrated Paulie Mac tunes, Come Say JaVale, Come Say JaVale, Come Say JaVale McGee. Might have been a Tony, Creative Tony production.
Speaker 4: What a parody.
Speaker 3: I think Creative Tony got a lot of those.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: So anyway, hopefully somebody wins the tickets, and then we'll be happy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hopefully Stix... are as impressive as Rafael Devers swinging the stick yesterday.
Speaker 2: There you go, buddy. You like that?
Speaker 3: Come sail away with a fastball from Chase Burns.
Speaker 5: Yeah, had that sail out to the deepest part of the ballpark out to the 415 section.
Speaker 3: Incredible performance against one of literally, metrically, numerically, one of the best pitchers in all of baseball. Yeah, Chase Burns is a dude. He's a Cy Young candidate. He's on a bad team. They've lost 70-whatever to the Giants. I mean, they're as bad as the Giants almost. But this guy was literally in the Cy Young conversation, 14-2 to 2-5-1, huge strikeout numbers, dominant, and they just attacked him. Tony Vitello had some interesting comments after the game about being hooked up. He felt like the team was like– and I don't know. There's kind of– you can read it in a negative way that the implication is that prior in the season they were not hooked up. I think it just means like committed to the process, committed to every pitch, committed to winning. We have that cut, Jacob, about him being– you know, I'll hook you up.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: We used to have that sound by two.
Speaker 2: Here it is.
Speaker 3: Here's a Tony V about last night's lineup, which was crazy, right? Had Raphael Devers, Jungle Lee, and seven strangers, right? And including Shea Whitcomb and, and, and all sorts of nonsense. Turner Hill, Turner Hill, that'd clean up.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: Drew Cavanaugh, your five hitter, Nate Furman, your guy's six hole. But Tony praised him.
Speaker 7: To win a game during the regular season, I'm a firm believer you just got to have guys that are hooked up. And right now, again, hopefully we all can work together, whether it's our group as coaches or the players, both sides together to show results that back that up and boost confidence. But they're hooked up. They're hooked up right now. And like you said, it is baseball. There's a bunch of reps. Anything can happen. And to win a game, you just got to come out and you got to play hard. And it'd be nice to say, you know, mistake free or flawless or clean or whatever. But that's not true. We made several mistakes tonight. Boston beat us and they had a little league home run against them. You know, things are going to happen. But I feel like if you're hooked up and got the right mindset, it's there. And it kind of started with a little fresh vibes. You know, it was great for everybody to meet Shea. Rafi kind of leading the hitters meeting with some thoughts with now Willie, not there next to his side. He kind of just took the reins and said some things. And I think it all was going in the right direction in the first inning. And fortunately we had stuff on the scoreboard to back that up.
Speaker 3: Okay. So Tony's, you know, listen, it's meaningless, right? They're 25 under it's as meaningless as it gets. They're on their way to one of their worst seasons in the history of the San Francisco franchise. And yet if you're a hard, Oh, and you want to look hard enough, there's little things. There, he mentioned Rafael Devers leading the hitters meeting. This is after the weekend where he had an embarrassing, you know, he got swept in Boston. He got booed in Boston.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And his team got swept.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like a lot of them. It's embarrassing for Rafi. He doesn't show that.
Speaker 4: He doesn't want to show up in Fenway and lose.
Speaker 3: And he doesn't show it. He's very hard to read. He's kind of stoic.
Speaker 2: He doesn't do media.
Speaker 5: Although I did find it a little fascinating that Rafael Devers had a nice little chuckle on his face Friday in Fenway when he was getting booed.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 5: He probably had the thoughts to himself, like, can you believe this? I won this town a championship and they're going to boo me. And then, of course, he goes deep on Friday, but did not have a great weekend Saturday, Sunday.
Speaker 3: No, but he comes back and he homers yesterday. Bagley wrote a piece today and it's about he posts every game. Somebody said that to us this past weekend, too. I forget. It might have been Mike or whatever. 131 games. Now, the joke would be, yeah, you know, given a few of those strikeouts and errors, I'd like to see him post a few less.
Speaker 4: Ha ha.
Speaker 2: But no, you want this guy.
Speaker 3: He's literally your best.
Speaker 4: Hitter.
Speaker 3: I mean, although Casey Schmidt, you can make an argument Casey Schmidt was on pace to have a better season. No, I would disagree.
Speaker 5: I'd say that Raphael Devers still had more home runs than Casey Schmidt at the time when Casey Schmidt got injured. I'm not really ready to knight Casey Schmidt as a better hitter than Raphael Devers. Casey Schmidt was having a better year, but Raphael Devers is still the better overall hitter.
Speaker 2: No, no, no.
Speaker 5: I just meant this season. Having the better season overall. Yeah, I think Devers was still on pace to have a better year than Casey Schmidt.
Speaker 3: Let me look it up here.
Speaker 5: I know that Devers was leading the team in home runs when Casey got hurt.
Speaker 3: So right now, let's see. I've got to get some of their advanced stats.
Speaker 4: Yes, please.
Speaker 3: AI is like, would you like advanced stats?
Speaker 4: Yeah, take that for data.
Speaker 3: When he went down, Casey Schmidt had 21 home runs. Devers now has 27.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Home runs are not the only metric.
Speaker 2: No, they're not.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: So OPS, Casey's was 784 when he went down. Devers is currently... At 796. Others, well, that's all I have for you there.
Speaker 5: Well, I'd say this, too, even just beyond the numbers, too. It's the presence of Rafael Devers in the lineup. It's that presence that he brought to the Red Sox lineups when they were winning World Series.
Speaker 3: Like, there is a factor in having Rafael Devers.
Speaker 5: Now, I'm guessing in about 30 seconds, we're going to get texts about the factor of Rafael Devers and the fact that the Giants are 35 games under 500 since making that trade. but you still can't deny that Rafael Devers knows how to hit a baseball.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: And you know, at this point to the contract, what is it? 33 million a year or something like that. What is it at this point with each passing year, it's going to get less scary. You know, it's funny. Eugenio Suarez was the reds five hitter last night. He's 35 years old. No, listen, he, you know, he's not, he's not an all-star or anything, but he has 18 bombs and 65 ribs. I mean, Rafi Devers might be one of those guys who, when it comes to the contract, might be one of those guys who's just such a born hitter that even if he gets a little bit of a boiler when he's 34 years old, he still might be able to hit the baseball.
Speaker 5: Well, that's if you don't believe he's 34 years old already. What kind of crazy conspiracy is that? People think Devers is older.
Speaker 4: Than he is.
Speaker 3: I don't know what to say about that. I mean, there's crazy people out there. So, I mean, listen, he led the hitters meeting. He's, I think, you know, it's funny. I did the Tony Mazz baseball hour in Boston and he was like, you know, he's a bad teammate. You know, he's a cancer. And I was like, well, I said, I don't, I can't say that with certainty out here. I've yet to find a person on the record or off the record, dog him as a teammate. You don't hear the whispers.
Speaker 4: You don't.
Speaker 3: They're like, no, we like Rafi.
Speaker 4: We do.
Speaker 3: We like Rafi.
Speaker 4: We do.
Speaker 3: You know, the finger wag was bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the one incident that the optics were bad.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, we all have our days. And that spoke to the Tony V thing, although it feels a little bit, if you're paying attention to Tony this last couple weeks, he's starting to assert himself just a little more in his comments about the team, calling him out a little bit more.
Speaker 5: Look at the lineups. It looks like a Juco lineup. That's why he's calling him out for playing Juco ball.
Speaker 3: And he can kind of, yeah, exactly. I mean, I wrote this jock blog last week about like, as you bring them back next year, it's like, I mean, obviously dude, it's like you can easily make the argument to not bring them back. It's like, bro, are you kidding me? It's been a disaster, been a fricking disaster just for fun. And I know this isn't apples to apples, but I looked it up just for fun. And I found sure enough, the data I was looking for, Bobby Cox, when he started his career, lost 90 plus his first two years. joe tory dude had a terrible start to his managing career in fact one year i think he lost 99 another year he lost 95 another year he lost 96 i just wrote dude how'd the yankees hire this guy he was a terrible i mean grown men weep when this guy walks down the street now now are we saying he's gonna be bobby cox and joe tory no but what we are saying is that bad seasons happen terrible seasons happen they do bruce bocce lost 98 in 2017 he also won three world series but So I'd say all things on balance, you bring them back because this was Buster's vision, and yeah, it sucked this year.
Speaker 2: They get an F.
Speaker 3: It's a failing grade this year, but that doesn't mean that next year has to be the same.
Speaker 5: No, not at all, and that's why they're going to run it back. With Tony V, once again, Buster Posey said no questions asked, but you're right. There should be questions because something needs to change. Like, this is not the type of offseason when we're going to be sitting here saying, oh, they're going to get Randy Rodriguez back next year. That's worth 20 wins, and they'll be back in the wildcard conversation. Like, no, there's a lot of work to do for next season. which of course could involve some prospects or maybe even some of the players that were seen recently, like Dylan Smith last night in the ninth inning, or maybe even a revival of Ryan Walker, which I know probably has people turning the radio off right now, but you need to figure out what you have before the season starts so that we're not talking about the Giants being walked off 11 times in one season.
Speaker 3: You can make an argument that the entire thing can change with a bullpen. Like if they like I'm watching the Padres and the Red Sox, these last two series and the guys they brought out of the pen. If the Giants brought guys like that out, well, they win a lot more games. I got news for you, right?
Speaker 5: Guess who's closing out ball games for those two teams. Mason Miller and Aroldis Chapman, two of the best closers in baseball. But it's Nicky T tried telling us earlier this year. You can't win without a close. It's not just the ninth inning, though.
Speaker 3: No, you're right. They got guys stacked up, including Eric Miller in Boston.
Speaker 1: Oh, boy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who all of a sudden found out how to throw strikes. Well, he's now everything the Giants wanted him to be. Is that pitching coaches? Reunited with our guy, Andrew Bailey. Yeah, and are the Giants pitching coaches not getting it done? I think there's ample evidence that that could be the place where you make your change. All right, guys, wanted to do a little Giants there today. What do we got tonight? 645, you go Adrian Hauser. House. Adrian Hauser today, and then day game tomorrow. And then Arizona comes in. Ready for this? Thursday, Friday, double dip Saturday. That's Jeff Kent day, by the way.
Speaker 4: Ooh.
Speaker 3: No game Sunday because this rain out makeup Monday in Atlanta, the league made an agreement that the Giants could take Sunday off and fly to Atlanta for a rain out makeup.
Speaker 5: For the Giants. First opportunity of the season to get a sweep. If they beat the Braves on Monday, it's officially a sweep.
Speaker 4: Unless.
Speaker 5: Unless.
Speaker 3: They sweep the Reds. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 4: Ah, good point.
Speaker 3: Turner Hill and cleanup, buddy. Will he bat Turner Hill and cleanup again?
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 7: Sure.
Speaker 3: I mean, what are your other options at this point?
Speaker 4: Yeah, uh-huh.
Speaker 7: Sure.
Speaker 2: Send him back out there.
Speaker 3: All right, guys.
Speaker 2: We'll give away those.
Speaker 3: We'll find out who won those sticks tickets and then do what did we learn today. And thanks to the Vigilante for stepping in today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks, JV.
Speaker 3: On the Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Listen to The Sports Leader anytime, anywhere. Download KNBR, The Sports Leader app. Murph and Marcus continue live from the Casino Matrix progressive jackpot studios. Casino Matrix, progressive jackpots are here.
Speaker 2: Where are you? Just drop in. 1-800-GAMBLER.
Speaker 4: Dr.
Speaker 3: Boucher, what are we hearing here? What are we hearing here?
Speaker 5: This right here is Waka Flocka.
Speaker 2: Brick Squad!
Speaker 5: This is the walk-up music, the warm-up music out of the bullpen for Dylan Smith.
Speaker 2: I've never been to a game he pitched, so I didn't know that.
Speaker 5: Oh, dude, last night in the ninth inning, as I'm trying to find the love of my life on fourth wing night last night at the ballpark, I hear walk-a-flocka coming out of the bullpen, and I knew it was Dylan Smith.
Speaker 3: He shouldn't have pitched in that game, by the way.
Speaker 2: What do we got, Dr.
Speaker 3: Boucher?
Speaker 2: Waka, waka, flaka.
Speaker 5: Well, it is time for today's Stanford Health Care Health Report. And I should have proof read this before I checked the script because I don't have anything on my sponsor sheet. So I'll go from the top of the dome. Willie Adamas was placed on the I.L. Oh, you got an update for me.
Speaker 4: What's this? Oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, we got all types of roster moves.
Speaker 5: We got all types of news yesterday with the Giants announcing that Willie Adamas is going on the I.L. Victor Barracuda also dealing with a right knee bone bruise. JT Brubaker has some bruised ribs after trying to make that diving play, diving off the mound to catch that bunt. So guess who showed up yesterday in San Francisco? Welcome back, Grant McRae. Welcome back, Ryan Walker. Hello, Anthony Molina. Hello, Shea Wickham and Nate Furman back with the big league squad as well. And that, my friends, was today's Stanford Healthcare Health Report sponsored by Stanford Healthcare.
Speaker 3: Well done. Way to make that up there, buddy, on the fly. Okay, what did we learn today? Well, Marcus, you helped me out, buddy.
Speaker 1: I learned.
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 3: You can play it there, JV.
Speaker 2: Inquiring minds want to know, what did OG Murph learn today?
Speaker 3: Bro, I learned that Marcus was out at the ballgame yesterday. Give me a little Tom Petty need-to-know here.
Speaker 5: Oh, I need to know.
Speaker 2: A little Tom Petty.
Speaker 3: And you said you saw a lot of people going to get something here today. And you going to get a pickup or something like that.
Speaker 5: Well, dude, I saw a line that started outside of 58 social and went up all three levels on the ramp all the way to the top deck because people were waiting in line for their special event ticket giveaway.
Speaker 3: And I said, well, what is it? Fourth wing, a popular adult fantasy romance novel written by Rebecca Yarrow's People say, have called it dragon smut. Dragon smut. A woman deals with a tense growing attraction to Zayden and it features magical dragon combat and apparently a few ripped bodices too.
Speaker 2: So I learned that. Yes, we all learned.
Speaker 5: I didn't know that I was going to the ballpark to get involved in a book club.
Speaker 2: Are you going to read it?
Speaker 4: No, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to read, Murph.
Speaker 3: That's a rhetorical question. I do believe that... JV here said he got it for his girlfriend. Yeah, he's a big romance guy. You got her fourth wing, didn't you? I did, and I told her to text in, but she didn't.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: Well, there you go, buddy. What does that say about the state of your relationship?
Speaker 2: What does that say about our show?
Speaker 3: We'll figure that out next time you pinch hit.
Speaker 4: Better than yours.
Speaker 3: Fair and biased with John Lund is next. You're listening to KBR AM and KBR FM. These sports are at Cumulus Media Station.
Speaker 7: They're hooked up.
Speaker 2: Yo soy la madre de los padres.
Speaker 3: Kinley Rasmus.
Speaker 4: Murph, you know more about this young lady than you do Che Whitcomb.
Speaker 3: This book, Fourth Wing, has been described as dragon smut.
Speaker 4: I promise you it won't be 140 for me. If I ever go that route, which I won't, but if I ever did, uh-uh.
Speaker 3: That's the end of the game.