Speaker 1: Now back to Dirty Work. Adam Copeland and Derek Papa on KNB R one O four, five and six eighty am V Sports Leader.
Speaker 2: Dirty Work, John Dickinson, Derek Popa is football season and the forty nine Ers had the first game action last Thursday. And for pre im post, Todd Husk on the Sports Leader, who'll be with you guys for week two of the regular season when the Niners come home from Australia and take on the Miami Dolphins. Todd joins us. Now it's going on, Todd.
Speaker 3: Way too far away from my liking. I know started the season. I'm ready to get back in the booth.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's a big break, but hopefully they come back one and oh and healthy. That's I think the big concern for all forty Niner fans and the team. Let's stay healthy and get ready to roll.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean a lot of question marks right now. We got the whole reports of Christian McCaffrey and the tightness Nick Bosa and the knee tendonitis, and sounds like George Kittle's ramping up to maybe play Week one. But I want to get your thoughts on de Jean Shribbling and his performance seven catches for sixty three sixty three yards. What was the most impressive part of Stribling's performance last Thursday, Todd Well.
Speaker 3: I think number one, they wanted to see what he could do. Clearly, he didn't play much and he got eight targets and seven catches, so he was a focus for them early in the game, and he delivered. I think that Obviously the highlight plays down the sideline making the fifty to fifty catch, and that's what they're gonna need just from the offense in general, more big plays down the field and the fact that he can do that and also run those underneath routes and catch and run and block and everything you read from him about him from his teammates, from the coaches is his strength and his toughness and how he blocks. And he seems to be a little more mature than a young wide receiver. He comes into this league ready to play and deliver at a high level, and he showed that ability. And I don't think they're counting on him to be It's a great situation. They're not counting on him to be the number one guy, or maybe even the number two guy. Maybe he grows into that role as the season goes along, but they're going to put him in situations where he can excel, and then when they push the ball down the field to him, he has that ability to go up high point it. We saw him run after the catch and good footwork on the sideline, break tackles, and he does. He checks all the boxes of a receiver that you want. And he might not have the four to three blazing speed, but he's fast enough. And I think the more important thing is that he makes those catches in traffic. What I like the most, and j D and I had talked about it at the game his ability to his body control and when he's in tight quarters and there's coverage there, his ability to create that foot of separation, or that he has big, strong hands and he's able to reach out and grab that ball in traffic. That is such a I think it's a talent rather than a skill, like guys can learn it, but some guys just have it and he seems to have it, and that goes well for this forty nine ers offense and for a young wide receiver who's going to get opportunities. I think early in the season.
Speaker 4: Todd if your brock Purty, do you want to see do you want to get on the actual field in a game, live situation to work with him a little bit, or the practices even a joint practice. Is that enough?
Speaker 3: I think the practices are enough. I think the games are oftentimes like we saw it last Thursday, where it's ones versus twos or sometimes threes versus ones, with the Titans playing a lot of their starters. I think they can do enough in practice that that's almost more of a game simulation rather than the actual game because of the defense you're going against, and by the way they keep it so vanilla, nobody's showing in thing. It's very basic offense and defense. I think practice is enough. And I think the brock Prity discussion is fascinating because he is at this point now in his career where he's not a young quarterback anymore. He's I mean, he's not thirty yet, but this is kind of the prime of his career right. Five seasons in the NFL, four seasons as a starter, he's started and played enough games to where and he sounds like it if you just hear him in interviews and the way he handles himself and carries himself in the way his teammates talk about him like he's coming into that locker room, and new guys coming in the locker room recognizing that's the man, like this is the guy. And so that's a little bit different step in his career, but man does he seem poised to take his development to the next level and continue to grow as a quarterback, continue to grow Kyle Shanahan and understanding the offense, and it gives Shanahan a chance to take the next step in all Right, I'm gonna throw more at this guy. I've got so many ideas and some quarterbacks can't handle it. Brock can. And so I think game plans are going to be a little bit more sophisticated and it's going to be fun to watch this season. I think this young quarterback who has so much, he's got so much ability, but also still so much potential to get better. I'm excited to see what he can do, especially based on how good he's looked in camp talking.
Speaker 2: To Todd Husak on the Uma guest line. Anotherwide receive that led good on Thursday night, Jordan Walkins with six catches for fifty nine yards. This team's probably gonna keep six wide receivers. How would you currently see the guys right now as far as Christian Kirk, DeMarcus Robinson, and Jacob Cowing when you watch them at practice, how they line up with the other wide receivers right now?
Speaker 3: Well, I'd love to see more of Kirk and Cawing. We just haven't seen him, and I think calling has that kind of slot ability to catch and make somebody miss, and he's super quick. His ability to get in and out of breaks and separate and burst until he gets the ball in his hands. Punt return could be a special place for him. We just haven't. We haven't seen him, and so for them to make decisions, any guys that can count on, and he has not been one of those guys. I think he has the ability. It's been unfortunate with the injuries. Same with Christian Kirk. I was excited about that signing based on his production and other stops, but without his ability to take reps. See how he fits in with the offense, See how he fits in with other receivers. What skill set does he bring that maybe some of the other receivers don't. And wide receiver room in the NFL. It's it's not just six guys that are exactly the same, all right. This guy is better at running the deep routes, and this guy is better at the slot, and this guy is better at blocking in the short end and can get off, bump and run. There are different kind of skill sets and prototypes that you want at each position, and I think you need to see how Christian Kirk fits into that room, and unfortunately they haven't seen enough of him. I hope he is able to come back and show what he can do because I think he would be an interesting piece to this offense. But without him getting the reps, it's hard to gauge that there's some young guys that have stepped up. We'll see. There's still enough time to where I think you know who the top four and maybe five guys are. With Watkins having a good showing, and we did like him coming in to this camp as being a guy that another guy that we haven't seen anything of. But he looks good on paper with that four to three speed and the ability to take the top off, and he's made some nice plays. I'd still like to see more from him, but I think those last two spots are still for grabs. Over these last couple of weeks of the preseason, it's going to be you know, do the Niners take a look at they've got seven or eight guys, Maybe they like they're a team that needs a fifth wide receivers, they're potential trade opportunities where all of a sudden the Niners room gets a little bit lighter and they can add a piece. But the good news is that all talent it uh, it's just how does that room fit together? And is there that sixth guy is going to be very interesting in what role does he fell and is he inexperienced with upside or is the experience in somebody that can they can count on if needed if somebody goes down or in spot play.
Speaker 4: How concerned are you about the left guard spot considering nobody is seemingly stepping up to take it at this point and new options are being introduced into the conversation.
Speaker 3: Not great. You could be a little more settled with the first game coming up in less than a month. And I don't think anybody showed well on Thursday night at left guard and the coaches that talked about it, when when there's a competition at a certain spot. I think it does both guys a little bit of the service because they're not getting the same mental like, they're not getting a ton of reps. They're splitting reps and maybe it's three guys split, so all of a sudden, there's a little less work, a little less confidence or comfort level with how they feel with not just the rest of the offense, but with the offensive system, with their their left tackle and center and how they're working together. So I think it does the offense a little bit of a the service that they don't have that spot filled. Are you better off going with the guy and saying you're the guy and we're going to put you in that position and you're gonna take all the first team reps for the next six weeks and if you're not the guy, then will replace you with somebody who can fill that spot. But it's an open competition. Again, it's a spot that is critical. How that season finished against the Seahawks, it was clear that they did not have the interior line that could handle that pass rush in RUNB sense, So how do they fill that spot and get a guy that they can count on, but also a guy that becomes a not just a good player, sorry, not just a fill in a guy that is not bad, but somebody becomes a good player and a solid piece of an offensive line that needs to be really good because the Rams are going to come out of the gates in Week one as a team that can bring it and both in the pass rush and the run game, and so you've got to be solid. You can't be just okay at that left guard spot because they defenses will find a way to focus on that and make it a weakness. And so the Niners are faced with they got to get somebody up and running at that spot. That not just right, We feel okay about that guy. This is somebody that we can put a lot on his shoulders and he's going to deliver.
Speaker 2: Talking to Todd Husak on the UMA guest line, Grayson Halton, the rookie from Oklahoma made his presence felt on Thursday. How do you how do you view their defensive tackle depth right now? Tod, with the young players they have and al Ford Collins, the CJ. West and now Halton, I like it.
Speaker 3: I think that's all of a sudden you look at that defensive just the front seven or you know however, you however, Remorris tries to fill those spots, whether it's defensive line or outside linebackers and inside line like they are deep for the first time in a while, and I think they're the front guys are talented, and all of a sudden you have young players that are taking that next step right there. Year two, Okay, you know what the NFL is like. You've had an offseason and strength and conditioning and the defensive scheme, and now we're counting on you to be a disruptor or be a guy that makes some plays and gets to the quarterback. And Halton looked like a guy that was and he was tough in practice against the Titans. I think he might have been one of those guys that started a couple of the fisticuffs or brujjas. However, you want to say that in that practice where the guys are getting aftered a little bit, he was a guy that was in the middle of those things. And so I think that's what you need to see, especially from a young guy who's not just fiery, but he's getting into the backfield. He's making obviously the offense uncomfortable and the fact that they have. I think a handful of those guys. Alpa Collins was a guy who I think had a solid rookie year. He made the great play against the Rams that saved the game. If he can be better and more consistent. C J. West, I thought showed up a few times last year, and with Osa and all of a sudden, that front seven looks pretty good if they're all healthy. You throw Bosa and Height and some of those guys on the outside that can get in the backfield. Obviously, the sack problem was massive last year where they were last in the NFL by a wide margin. And Raheem Morris, based on what we saw Thursday night, he's gonna be a little more aggressive in figuring out schemes and ways to get to the quarterback. But it's always helpful when you just have a guy that can win one on one, right you can when you can bring four and still put pressure, it's a lot better on the secondary than bringing six. Now I think he Morris will bring six and figure out ways to leverage some of that secondary, like second level talent like Jordan Duggart made a play early in that game and he flashed right. That's what you want to see from those young guys. He made that play where he covered a lot of ground, made the tackle, sure tap going for loss, and he flashed. And that's I think for young guys to feel put themselves in a position where they're in the open field. They make that play and they look good doing it. And the Niners are now in a position where they have a number of young players hopefully to take some of that pressure off the veterans like Warner and Bosa. All of a sudden, they're not so leaned on, and maybe offenses aren't so keyed in on those guys where you've got to be worried about some of these other pieces that are getting in the backfield and that's going to elevate their play even more.
Speaker 4: Do you feel that most of that talent, though Todd is interior talent at this point on the defensive line specifically, And where are you at as far as the pass rush issue, you know, is it gonna have to be like you said, more Raheem Morris really trying to scheme up pressure or you know, because they just don't have enough even with Bosa back.
Speaker 3: I think we haven't seen this defensive unit that we're going to see in week one, so it's a little hard to gauge on. All right, what is their strength? Is it interior? I think Osa is a difference maker in that interior. I think now I say interior, he's maybe a three technique, but Alphad Collins is a That guy is a monster. I mean, you see that guy in person, You're like, oh man, he he is a guy that can create some problems on the inside by moving that pocket back. I do think it's going to be on the I don't see necessarily now if they can find a way to create pressure on that interior those interior three guys, whether stunts or just flat out bull rushing, great, But I still think the pressure is gonna come from the outside and the speed guys. We haven't talked about Michael Williams. Is he a guy that can take that next step because he's such a good athlete. Is he healthy? Can he be the player that he was when they drafted him in the first round. I mean, we've named seven or eight guys that can make plays. Now, how does Raheem Morris put all that together? I still think their advantage is and the speed on the outside, and they need to be much more solid on the interior and give those guys a chance to use their speed on the If Bosa can come back and be ninety percent of the player he was a few years ago, this defense has a chance to be special. I really believe that because I think they can find a way to create some push and some pressure on the quarterback, where all of a sudden we're seeing more throws into coverage and seeing them more. I think we're going to see a much more aggressive secondary that tries to create some interceptions. Now that comes with the downside of maybe giving up a big play in the past game, but the way this team is built on offense, you get the ball back for them a couple extra times a game with turnovers takeaways. I like the forty nine ers chances.
Speaker 2: Last one for you, Todd, The biggest question mark we had with the forty nine ers is injuries every single year. And you're not a doctor, but you played in this league. When you see and hear that Nick Bosa's week to week with knee tendoninis and Christian McCaffrey's dealing with tightness right now, what's your concern level?
Speaker 3: It's not great the scenes is around the corner. And now the good news is they're veterans enough where if McCaffrey and Bosa don't practice one time between now in game one, I feel really good about them going into play if they're ninety. I think that's where that veteran kind of mentality and preparation takes in. It takes hold of those guys being able to go in and produce. You need the younger guys to play together to improve, to learn the system. I'm not as concerned. I mean the contracting with McCaffrey, like, is it tightness or does he see so of each other guys getting paid? I think that's a bigger concern than his actual health. I think he's he's been around long enough to know how to prepare and get ready for a season, But that will almost be a bigger concern. Is there an issue with how happy he isn't ready he is to play on his current contract. I hope that's not the case. I hope it's just tight Enn's and he's back and ready to go from Melbourne. But I don't have a concern about those veterans and how well they know their bodies and how they're going to be ready to go in week one.
Speaker 2: He's Todd Husack here. I'm all season long. I'm pre impost for the forty nine ers right here on These Sports Leader. I know it's a long time until week two, Todd, but we'll definitely catch up before then. Can't wait, all right, looking forward to it. That's Todd Husak. Catch that interview on the sports Leader dot com or These sports Leader app Let's put the show to bed. On the other side, Larry Kruger coming up with Niners Nightly It's Dirty Work, John Dikets and Derek Papa and of course Danny Dunn on These sports Leader