Speaker 1: All right back on sports Phone KBR with Bill Laski. The Giants lose the first game of a three game series against the Colorado Rockies five to two, five and six hits, one error for the Rockies, two runs, seven hits, two errors for the San Francisco Giants. Giants now are fifty and seventy two, and don't worry, the Rockies are right behind him at forty nine and seventy three. They're going to tow it up again tomorrow. One to oh five. Logan Webs on the hill for the Giants. He's seven and seven with a three point five earned run average. His last game threw a gym against the Tigers eight innings, four hits, one to earn run. Going against Michael Lorenzen twenty twenty five games he started, He's three and ten with a six point eight earn run average. He threw the ball well against his Cardinals, he went four and a third, only giving up two earned runs, But his game before that, the Tampa Bay Rays beat him up pretty well with seven earned runs. All right, let's talk to my good friend, of course, he's a senior producer, a Bay area sports rep and Ryan Leong. Ryan how are you on a Friday?
Speaker 2: Are there?
Speaker 1: Ryan?
Speaker 2: Oh? There you go?
Speaker 1: You got me? Ryan, I can't hear you, Ryan. All right, all right, all right, we'll get him right back. Ryan's having a little issues there. But let's go into a little bit about what Logan Webb's done. He's pitched really well. His last three outings the Cars to the Tiger game, eight innings, four hits, one an run. The Texas Ranger game he went six innings, five hits, nowhere and runs. Got to win in that game. At the Brewer Game, six innings, five hits, two were in run. So his last three starts he's two and oh but boy, he pitched really well against the Detroit Tigers. All right, Ryan, are you there, my friend?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sorry about that's. I guess we'll self thinking where I was at. So sorry about that.
Speaker 1: Oh, no problem, Ryan. Well before the game today, they announced the All Star Games coming to San Francisco in twenty twenty eight. The last one that was here was two thousand and seven. Excited about that, Ryan, and the jump to have the All Star Game back at Ooralle Parks pretty exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. I covered the seven game and that was actually a you know, very memorable game. Of course, you know Barry Bonds was in it. But the thing that probably wasn't very memorable was the home run derby. Everybody figured out very quickly that even though you have a cubby cove and it looks so inviting, it's pretty hard to hit the ball there, and a lot of guys found that out. In fact, I think the only ball that was hitt into the water that was foul was a home run or a long salt ball by Justin Morneau. Wow at home run Derby. How about remember Wedd Guarrel I believe won the home run Derby.
Speaker 1: I was just going to say that. I'm pretty sure Vlad did. He was smoking him out the left field. And you know it's going to be a fun game the whole week. Of course, fan Fest and the MLB Draft is now at the All Star Break and Futures Game. I just think a whole aura of the All Star Game coming to San Francisco is like I said, it's pretty exciting.
Speaker 2: No, it definitely is. And I think I think for this franchise, you know, it have the memorable moments with the All Star Game. I'm of course everybody thinks about the Stutent Miller blown off the mounted candlestick, and then the game in eighty four candlestick, they had quite a few Hall of famerus and I believe I'm trying to remember. I think it was a was it, I guess Fernando and then I think Dwight Gooden. They combined to strike out like five guys or something like that. It sounds right, means yeah, they had a great player for that game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me ask you, this is the Olympics again, gonna be behind the All Star Game? Is that kind of what they're linking to the Olympics down in LA Is that one of the reasons why the Giants have the All Star Game?
Speaker 2: It is correct, I mean that way, they figured that if they can figure out a way to get some of these major league players to play in the Olympics, and then that way they can go back and forth between San Francisco. It's much closer to Los Angeles. Obviously it's just a one hour flight away. So but apparently there's also being talked about some heavy penalties if the MLB players choose not to participate in the Olympics.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I read all that article about that and then also players that want to go on the i L. They're going to really look into medical histories and they want the best players to play. And that's one thing the Major League Baseball players are going to have to be aware of because this is something that Major League Baseball's taken. I think it's going to be a two week hiatus. Isn't it going to be like that for the season. Aren't they going to wait for almost two weeks for this?
Speaker 2: I guess they could. Yeah, I know the hockey's done that before. The NHL, as a matter of fact, had an Olympic break, so when they had all the players playing and maclin Celebrini was representing Team Canada and you had some guys representing the USA, the NHLs a two weeks off. So yeah, it'll be interesting to see what they do because you know, as you know, Bill, I mean, the Major League Baseball All Star Game is truly the only real All Star game that's left. I mean, yeah, the NBA has got one, but the NHL, you know, they vacillate on what they do. And then the NFL Pro Bowl. I mean, unfortunately, you really can't have a Pro Bowl anymore because you don't want to have tackling, so now they have five football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, both those All Star games are useless to the NBA wins like one hundred and eighty points, it seems like. And the Major League Baseballs definitely have changed, and I'd like to see a little bit more players play. I always wanted to see more All Stars. There's no reason why that roster can't be built a little bit more because there's always like four or five guys that don't get selected to the All Star Game and they deserve it. There's no reason why you can't expand rosters.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting too, Bill. You know, you used to have guys that used to play a whole game, and then it became like three innings, right, and then you even have pitchers that used to pitch three innings. But Willie may Is, I think back at his day, he would play the whole game, if not most of the games. And now guys will get what they get. They might get two at that's pitchers will pitch if that if they're lucky one inning. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ryan Leone joining me on sports phone. Kblready can read his work at Bay Area Sports Rap. Let's talk about Little Land and roupe. Today again, Land and Roop hits that hurdle. He gets three nice innings in the hurdle, into fourth inning, walks a couple of guys, gives up a couple of hits. The fifth inning, they score, and then he goes right out there and Sullivan hits a double and he gives up another run. But I thought the home run ball by Zach Veen was a curveball that was thrown in the wrong place to a lefty, and that kind of chased him at good times. Today there was some good landing roup and then on the other side he struggled. Again, Why is this going on so long?
Speaker 2: Ryan? You know, I don't think he's got his confidence right now. And I think like you said, and I think a lot of pitchers do this. They just get they followed them up too much with the velocity. I'm looking up at the scoreboard and I'm looking at at that pitch speed and they're pitching to it. Because back in your day, as I know, they didn't have them, you know, on the scoreboards, and they really didn't start doing that in ballparks until I think the late nineties. And I think even in certain cases some pitchers actually have to have it turned off because they get too caught up and looking at that, you know, and back in the day it was just the speed. Now it's you know, it shows the actual pitch, slider sleep or curveball, and I think guys sometimes are just looking at that and they're not paying attention to just trying to get the batter out. Well.
Speaker 1: I remember justin Verdlander wanted the uh the analytics put on the scoreboard. Sometimes. He wanted to see the spin of the pitches. He wanted to see the location of the pitches. He had a different format that they used at the ballpark when he was on there and when he's on the mound. It was just kind of different because he was that veteran pitcher that wanted to know how tight his pitches were and the velocity of it wasn't as high. I just go back with landing Roup and I've said it a couple of times tonight with callers. I just want him to challenge the guys. He's got good stuff, he's got electric stuff. He just pinches the corners. He gets behind hitters too much. I'd just like to say, hey, here's here's my sinker. Go hit it. Here's my curveball, go hit it. Here's my chin, go hit it instead of going two O two oh two one three one. That's what I think he needs to clean up.
Speaker 2: Well, you know it is a while back though, but I'm sure you remember the name Bill Swift, and he was I mean, he was just dynamic. He was great, great singer baller, and he got a lot of ground ball outs. And what's interesting is a guy like Logan Web. He's got a great sinker, but he gets a lot of strikeouts with a sinker. And maybe, you know, Rupe is trying to he's trying to maybe he's trying to copy Logan Web, but he, like you said, he should worry more about just trying to pitch the contact because it's got such great movement. You know, if if you just can't make solid contact and you're inducing ground balls, what's the difference, Right, Outs, routs.
Speaker 1: Outs are outs. And that's what he needs to do, and that's how you can get through five and six innings. You know, the pitch count was fine. He after three innings thirty two pitches, twenty for strikes, and then the fourth inning he throws thirty five pitches twenty one for strikes. He escapes Ryan with only one run, comes back in a fifth, gives up with the run. He only threw nine pitches, and I'm like, okay, let's let's dial back in see if he can get through seven. And of course the home run chased him. There was a times in this game I was like, he's on, he's got good stuff. He's hitting the corners, hes got a good you know, when you start looking what he threw today, mostly curve balls. He threw thirty three of them, twenty some sinkers and the rest were change ups and a few fastballs. He got some strikeouts with that, with that elevated fastball to cross seat, which I'd love for him to throw. But I thought, at times, Ryan, and I keep throwing this back at you, he fell behind the hitters too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's and that's and that's a recipe for disaster. I mean, you fall behind. I mean, there's a statistian I know, he used to always tell me that counts usually get you know that aret one to one and then the next pitch is really key. So yeah, if you're able to get ahead one two versus being behind two and one, I mean, then your people behind three and one. I mean, there you go, right, I mean the batter's got everything in his favor. And yeah, that Zach Vinn the home run, man, I was impressive. I was watching that town in the stands with Buddy and Ellis Man. He really crushed that ball. But yeah, he's a prospect. Question.
Speaker 1: He's a young left handed hitter, twenty four years old. He's only got two hints. He's only played in two games. Both of them was a solo home run in the second. One was that two run home run today. But he hit that ball roll well, hit.
Speaker 2: It a cove.
Speaker 1: But let's talk about the off yeah, because yeah, Ryan the offense once again, the bottom of the order elevated triple A hitters. They just cannot hit big league pitching. And that's pretty much what we're going to see here the rest of the season. I've been talking about Turner Hill, and I think we're going to be impressed with him. I had a nice interview on playing at tomorrow, which is unbelievable the timing of it. I spoke to him for a while and he's got a lot of confidence. Here's a kid that was not drafted, not drafted and he went to a tryout. They signed him. This guy can put the ball in play, he's got speed, he's a good outfielder. I'm really impressed. I'm really happy the Giants brought him up. Twenty five game hitting streak, come different, get something else in this lineup. What do you think this Giants lineup can do to change this offense?
Speaker 2: Who you know? It's gonna be tough. I mean again, I like some of your callers have been saying, I was listening in before I called in. What is but what is Buddy Nnedy doing on the future? I mean, the guys batting like, oh thirty seven, I think it's just wow. I mean, he just can't be much prolonged, you know, with the batting average like that. But I don't know what the answer is going to be, Bill, because, as you know, the trade deadline came and went and guys got moved, and like you said, now you're in a situation where you have all these you know, these Triple A guys that are playing now and this is their first exposure to the bigs, and they're you know, they're nervous, and they're in a big environment and you know, the fans are still clamoring for stuff. I mean, I'm out there watching the fans tonight and they're they're having a good time, but you know they're they're of course very disappointed. And why wouldn't you be. Yeah, when you're got big crowds and you're you know, you're not able to come through with anything.
Speaker 1: And the whole key is is I been on doing these shows for a while now. The fundamentals on the field are disturbing to me. The not covering first base, the outfielders throwing to the lead runner instead of splitting them, things that need to be cleaned up that aren't being cleaned up, you know, And that's the disturbing part of Just like what we saw Bearracota today in the ninth inning, just throwing to throw. He didn't even throw to a target or any he just let it go. Those are the things that it's just because you know, those are the things that should be done before they get to the big league level.
Speaker 2: Ryan, you know, I have a theory about this too. It's like, you know, I'm at a lot of the games, and you know, you never see you almost never see batting practice anymore, because it seems like if players want to work on their hitting, they can do it in the underground, you know, under underneath the stadium cages. But actually they go.
Speaker 1: Early before anybody's even there. They do early work.
Speaker 2: Right, But you never see players working on on on fielding. I mean I see some players working on drills with with with with Wan Wall Washington, but players never take infield anymore. You never see that. Yeah, these guys just go in the clubhouse and and they're they're there early. But you know, I think the clubhouse being their sanctuary, and it's a comfortable place. I mean, I've seen it, you know, even you know, they've got a lot of amenities now and guys just get comfortable. And I'm not saying they're lazy, but it's just like, you know, they I think they just get into a routine and and and they just you know, it just seems to me like guys are really only really working on things during spring training that could be wrong, but a valid point of ran.
Speaker 1: And then you know this as well as I did. We used to take infield and outfield every game. A couple of guys wonder if their arms were a little sore, but it definitely made the opposition. Watch the outfielders arms. You get out there and take some fly balls, you go down the corners, and then the infield has that snap infield around the corners and double play balls. That would be cool to see somebody else bring that back into the big league. Hey, we're going to take infield. The other team might be we're gonna take infield. I would love to see that come back. I think it would be pretty cool that Tony inherits something like that and says we're gonna change it up. We're take infield today. That's a great let's let's propose it Ryan.
Speaker 2: But even like real quickly, you think about the guys that played great defense, guys like Dave Parker, Ellis Valentine, and Andre Dawson. I mean guys that not only you know had some swagger when they were at the play, they had some swagger out in the field too. I mean, you don't think guys like like Parker enjoyed the fact that he would, you know, from rightfield, gun of guy over at third base or throw him out at home play, you know anymore.
Speaker 1: I used to love when Jack Clark picked up the ball and there was a runner on second and I give up a base hit and I'm between third and home and I see Jack Clark winding up and throwing, and you go, you don't have a chance to be throwing coming to score. I mean, those are the arms. Corey Snyder was another one, you know, and those are the arms that I love to watch. And you great point about taking infield. We used to go out there and just watch him play and watch their at work and watch their balance doing in college. They do it in high school. Maybe they got to inherit here in the big leagues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean yeah, because they just need to take more pride in it, because I think guys are just they're just so focused on just not even just you know, offensively, they're just trying to focus on hitting home runs. It's like the pictures focused on strikeouts, the batter's focus on home runs, and all the stuff in between is being left out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're so right, Ryan Leong joining me for a few more minutes. You want to talk about Mike Kruco, and you and I have talked a little bit through some text messages. Kruk, of course is retiring. I know you want to talk a little bit about him, So let's hear what you have to say about him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean I've got a chance to see Mike over the years, and I got lucky one once many years ago, and this is before he had his unfortunate my muscular disorder that is why he's retiring. I was able to get a photo with him and Dwayne Kuiper, and who happened to be there also was Al Michaels and Bob Costas because they were there for MLB Network, and I happen to catch him on a on a a day where they were visiting the ballpark a day before their they're telecast, and so I got them in the photo. And also Mark Grant, former Giant who's now the color analyst for the Padres.
Speaker 1: So you know, I saw that it was a great picture. It really was a great picture. And and and of course all the relationships you've had, You've talked to many people, and you know the John Miller's and Dave Flemings. But I think what you want to do is just kind of show the fans a little bit more of Mike Cruco, tell me a story or two.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, well, I think now you know the thing I think of most of the time with with Kruk was talking to him. He's always got a baseball in his hand as you watching the telecast, But I remember asking him about how you throw a curveball, and he always told me it's like hammering and nail. That's the best way to describe it. You kind of you know, you basically like if you if you can make the gesture of hammering and nail, that's how he would throw his curveball. So that's that's the one example of something I can take a good one.
Speaker 1: Oh, he had a good one.
Speaker 2: He had one fast.
Speaker 1: I could throw it hard, he could throw it soft, and it was always twelve to six and where his arm slot was was the perfect place to throw it.
Speaker 2: Yes, And speaking of which, now there's not a lot of footage of him out there, but there is on YouTube. And if you type in the nineteen eighty seven NLCS Game four, that's Kruko's only playoff appearance, and he pitched a complete game win over the Cardinals. And so I am poor fans to go up and look for that game because he pitches the entire game. And then he did a postgame interview on the field with Jay Randolph one of these great legendary broadcasters, and so it's just cool to see Bruco go the distance. So he's the only pitcher in that game. Like I said, the Giants win. He I think it was struck out like like like like three guys, because you know, again, he pitched the contact and in his day, guys just didn't throw fastballs, just a foll hitters away unless you're Nolan Ryan. And so yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: There are Richards to watch that. Remember Jr. Richard Ryan, how big he was and how hard he threw.
Speaker 2: Yes, and unfortunately he got overworked by the astros who thought he was being lazy and ends up having a stroke and there goes his career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're so right. Well, Ryan, thanks again for joining me out of Friday night. I appreciate your time, and I always appreciate your instincts and the game and and I appreciate your uh your just overall gender of knowing the game of baseball.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much, Brough. I mean, I never did have a chance to play it like you had grown up, but I think hopefully I do appreciate what the game is and hope, you know, it continues to grow and continues to develop so. But but next year if there's a lockout.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well well we'll find out that'll happen December first, and we'll know what's going to go on November and a lot of things down the road. But Ryan, thanks so much for your time. You can read Ryan's work at Bay Area Sports Rap. But again, Ryan, always my friend. Take care. That was Ryan leone KMBR YEP. As we finish up a Friday tomorrow, one oh five Logan webs on the hill for the Giants. He's seven and seven with a three point five in ren average. Going against Michael Lorenzen, another right hander, he's three and ten with a six point eight are in run average. Hey, wake up tomorrow. I'll be handling the warm up show at ten o'clock tomorrow, so join me at ten am. Kerry Crowley taking a day off and I'm going to join you on the warm up show and of course the exter earning post game show will follow. And I got a great interview with Turner Hill. You'll know a little bit more about him as I bring that to Giants fans. For Bill Laski, you have a great rest of the Friday night. I want to thank my producer Jacob Villiante, and thank you Giants fans for calling. We'll do it again tomorrow on the exter Earning postgame show. More coming up right here on K and BR The Sports Leader