Speaker 1: Spanning the globe we're gonna get drunk before the game we're gonna get drunk during the game and then we get drunk after the game the thrill of victory the agony of defeat.
Speaker 2: I'll be in ireland like looking around going damn i lost.
Speaker 1: This is the wide world of walt hey great opening.
Speaker 2: The only problem is walt ain't here And the only problem is, is that we have no open for Jake Vigilante's Vigilant Views.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: Which 559 has already checked in and said, forget Triple E, we got Triple V.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So we are pausing our Dolly Parton rejoins to get a little pitbull.
Speaker 4: We are pausing our Dolly rejoins for a Triple E rejoin. This was his favorite song to snowboard to flying down the mountain.
Speaker 2: Man, the things you learn in life. The things you learn in life. That's a true story, Jacob. That's a true story. All right, so here's the deal. We do this every Wednesday at 7.15 to set the middle of the week sort of like flagpole, but... Young Tony left for TV. And Walt's taking care of his baby. We got our third stringer. But you know what? Really our first stringer.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: He's the Adrian Martinez of KNBR. My man, Jacob. The Vigilante Violante San Jose Zone. Good morning. What up, Jacob? Vigilante's Vigilant Views.
Speaker 3: How you doing, buddy?
Speaker 5: Like Adrian Martinez. I'm still on the roster, bud.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: Let's go. Let's go, buddy.
Speaker 3: I'm ready.
Speaker 2: I'm ready.
Speaker 3: I'm ready.
Speaker 6: Still shook up about the fireball. Triple East fireball. All right, number one, guys. We got Boucher's Raiders in town. Niners Raiders is back. This is a question for Murph, Marcus, whoever, or mainly for Murph.
Speaker 2: Usually goes old guy first, prettier guy second.
Speaker 3: That's me.
Speaker 2: I'm the pretty guy. And then we alternate.
Speaker 5: You're the old guy, Murph.
Speaker 6: Aside from Jerry Rice, obviously he turned Niner to Raider. Which former 49er legend would hurt? you the most to see wearing the silver and black?
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Well, it's already happened. I mean, the answer is like the answer is Ronnie Lott. Ronnie Lott wore silver and black, dude. So for me, and then throw in the recently inducted pro football hall of famer, Roger Craig, Roger Craig wore a silver back. Freaking Tom Rathman. We're silver and black. So this has been a, this has just been a, you know, Al, I'm going to hurt you. I'm going to take your most beloved and I'm going to put them in my, in my silver and black. I mean, just Al, just flat out, just coming right down our road here. So the answer is, is already here. But if I want to play along and say a future one, like if it ever happened again, I'm just going to play along with the game and say, I would say that if Bryant Young ever wore silver and black, I think I might have to get on the motorcycle and head up the coast. You know what I mean? So that's my answer, Jacob. Now, it would be interesting for him to answer this question because he doesn't have beloved 49ers. Oh, well, I believe that. Are you going to flip the script on him?
Speaker 5: Dude, we're going to reverse this thing.
Speaker 1: Marcus.
Speaker 6: Former Raider turn in Niner Empire. Who would you hate to see it? You know, this is a good question because Murph's right. There's been so much crossover between the red and gold and the silver and black throughout the years. And with my role now currently as somebody who covers the 49ers, host a sports talk radio show on the flagship. Everybody always pokes the needle with me now about Max Crosby potentially being traded to the 49ers. And despite what you might think, I wouldn't hate it because at least I'd be able to cover Max Crosby every single day. And maybe we'd bring him on as the 49er player of the week.
Speaker 2: So I might go back before.
Speaker 4: I started working at KMBR and It would have hurt me to see Khalil mag traded to the 49ers. I know that the 49ers were rumored to be involved in those trade discussions, but obviously the Raiders shipped them out to the Chicago bears. But I think my final answer that I'm locking in on arguably my favorite Raider of all time, number 24, Charles Williams. If I had to see Seawood play for the 49ers as a kid growing up, that would have broke my heart. He already left us once to go to the Green Bay Packers. Shout out your boy Aaron Rodgers for getting him a Super Bowl ring. But then he came back to the silver and black Charles Woods in my all time favorite. That would hurt me a little bit as a kid.
Speaker 2: There it is, man. You really ripped over some wounds there, buddy. But don't forget Jim Plunkett also was a crossover and somebody's running in Jerry Rice. Well, he laid that out in the opening part of the question that Jerry Rice is the ultimate.
Speaker 3: Yes, Jacob.
Speaker 5: Also, being a Niner, so now I give you guys a point, right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Who gets the point?
Speaker 3: Who wins?
Speaker 2: Who was more persuasive?
Speaker 3: Compelling?
Speaker 2: Yes, compelling.
Speaker 6: Okay, I like Boucher's argument, but I'm going to give Murph the point here just because I would have rather seen my guy Chuck Woodson in Niner red and gold than the damn Packers.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Didn't need that in my life. Okay, I'm just taking the point. And he won a Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: I'm just taking the point. Plus, that would be tough for you to see B.Y. not only play for USC, but also for the Raiders. Two jerseys you don't want to see.
Speaker 2: He was in Notre Dame. Oh, my apologies. My apologies. That's Notre Dame. Ronnie Lott is the Trojan who breaks the rules. That's on me. I owe push-ups to B.Y.
Speaker 3: Yeah, B.Y.
Speaker 2: Is not going to appreciate that at all.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: That goes back to the story of the one time. I think I told you real quick digression. Me and my dad saw BY at a Verizon wireless. And my dad told me to go up and talk S to BY about Notre Dame versus USC.
Speaker 2: Whoa. Your dad's not an SC fan, is he?
Speaker 4: No, he just wanted to poke the bear a little bit. I think my dad just wanted to get me in trouble.
Speaker 2: Okay. I think that's why I got the story confused.
Speaker 3: Again, my apologies.
Speaker 2: Ken Boucher is sending his son into the snake pit. Looking for that smoke. All right, Jacob, what do we got? What do we got?
Speaker 6: All right, we're going to stick on the Niners Raiders a little bit. Dude, the Bay Area used to have awesome rivalries. We had Niners Raiders. We had Giants A's, which both are kind of sort of gone. Which one would you rather see come back? Bay Area rivalry.
Speaker 4: Well, I would rather the Raiders still be in Oakland than the A's still be in Oakland. But as far as rivalry goes, I'll have to admit, I think the A's Giants rivalry is bigger on the field because of the 89 World Series. Obviously, we've never seen the 49ers and the Raiders square off in the Super Bowl. Maybe a little bit more passion off the field between Raiders and 49er fans. But I think the better rivalry would still be the Bay Bridge series between the A's and the Giants. So I would bring back the baseball rivalry, despite the fact that me personally, I want the Raiders back in Oakland.
Speaker 2: It's a good question. As always, Jacob's hot right now. And I get it. When the Giants play the A's, I do feel a certain kind of way I get. And I lived in Oakland for seven years and it was traumatic. It was traumatic because, dude, let me tell you what, they don't like you over there. They don't like you. They can say they like you, but they don't like you. And so it's real. Oakland A's fans do not like the Giants and they don't like Giants fans. That said, I have to say that even from a young age, when the 49ers would play the Raiders, even in preseason, There was something about those colors on the same field that was so freaking epic to me. It was like, it was grander than the baseball to me. It was like, well, first of all, the NFL is bigger than major league baseball. Number two, Al Davis was, you know, I go back to the Al days and everything when the Raiders were really good and the Niners weren't. And it was, it sucked because the Raiders were, no, they didn't play in the same division. They didn't play in the same conference. They didn't even play each other every year in regular season. It was very rare. It was like every season. Several years. But I would say that the Niner helmet and the Raider helmet on the field is, to me, grander than the Giants and the A's. So I'm going with the football.
Speaker 5: All right. Well, I'm going to give Boucher this one for sure.
Speaker 6: Just because, dude, I grew up going to A's games, man. And so, like, being in the Coliseum for... A's were back in the early 2000s when they had, you know, Mulder, Hudson, Zitos.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 6: And I've also been in the in the black hole one time, baby. And it was it was against Peyton Manning and the Broncos. And, dude, I just I think I'm right there with you, dude. The Bay Bridge series was so awesome back in the day. I want that one back. I'm giving it to Bush.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And it's the fact that we got the Bay Bridge series every year where 49ers and Raiders, you get them once every election cycle. And it even got to the point where the preseason games got too rowdy, where they stopped playing each other in preseason.
Speaker 2: I'm going to look up. They did not. Now, now there's a formula in the NFL schedules where you wind up playing every division every fourth year. I'm going to go ahead and say when I was growing up, it wasn't that way. I'm going to go say it was very rare. I'm going to try to find the 49ers Raiders. regular season history. But wait a minute. I want to get back to you going to these A's games. Why were you going to the Coliseum more than, uh, more than, uh, uh, Akbel Park? It was cheaper.
Speaker 6: You used to get like the, the family group pack, dude. We, we would be like chilling right by the A's bullpen. The boys would be goofing around on the field, coming over to sign autographs.
Speaker 5: It was awesome.
Speaker 2: I loved it.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So I'm getting pangs for the Coliseum now. So, so they only played in, okay. So they did play every four years, 70, 74, 79, 82, 85, 88, 91, 92, 94. It was rare. That's what made it even grander. Anyway, he got the point. I take the L.
Speaker 1: 1-1.
Speaker 7: 1-1.
Speaker 6: We're coming down the stretch here. This is a little off the grid one. This is a.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 6: We got a sound element? No, there's not a sound element. Alright, we got college football. We know you guys are both big college football guys. San Jose State especially. We love our Spartans.
Speaker 2: Coach Ken tomorrow, baby.
Speaker 5: I practiced it. Go Navy, by the way.
Speaker 2: Yes, buddy. Thank you, buddy.
Speaker 5: For Larry V and for which Murphy is it?
Speaker 2: Declan.
Speaker 3: Declan. Declan Murphy.
Speaker 5: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Navy water polo scrimmage at Princeton Saturday.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 5: You got to take care of that Princeton offense.
Speaker 2: They're going to be backdoor cutting in the pool all day. What do you got?
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 6: This is the classic, like, you know, you, uh, you break up with your girlfriend and you're done with the relationship.
Speaker 5: And then you see her looking.
Speaker 6: Good or whatever, or you're not doing too hot and you want to go back into that relationship.
Speaker 5: This is college football related.
Speaker 6: With it kicking off this weekend, we got some dudes who get to go to the NFL now, try out, and then they can maybe go back to school if it doesn't work out.
Speaker 3: Gross.
Speaker 5: Are you pro or against this crawl back to college?
Speaker 2: I mean, this is one that you, we were squeezing this into the last 60 seconds here, bro. You could do 60 days on this one, man. It is crazy, but man, I'd like to say that the old part of me from the old days of Keith Jackson on the Rose Bowl would say, you can't do that. But, bro, the barrier has been broken. They're all getting paid now. It calls into question a very fundamental question. What is college football? Is it pro football? Is it minor leagues for pros now? I'd like to say, no, you can't go back. And I know the SEC and Big Ten voted that, but. I just being a hypocrite because I've always thought the college players should get paid because the university presidents are stealing all the money as were the coaches. So I'm going to have to say that, yeah, given a five year eligibility, maximum, maximum, that's my big thing. You can only have five years of eligibility. Heck, I only have four, but I'll give you five. But if you're within your five years eligibility, I got to say grudgingly, you can do it.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: I'm shocked by that answer.
Speaker 4: Now I agree with you that NIL and the money in college football has completely changed the landscape.
Speaker 2: We just heard George.
Speaker 4: Kittle tell a story the other day about how there are some rookies on this team that made more money with their NIL deal than they will be their rookie season in the NFL.
Speaker 1: So that's great.
Speaker 2: Get your money.
Speaker 4: But if you declare for the draft, if you decide to walk away from that money, you can't go back you've made your decision you've made your choice maybe you should have got some better advice from your agent or your friends and family surrounding you that you should have stayed in college and got that nl money to begin with but to me once you declare for the draft once you put on an nfl uniform you should not be going back to college football uh we gotta get.
Speaker 2: The crew who gets the point.
Speaker 6: Dude i'm i'm with boucher on this one he gets the point It's the same thing in high school.
Speaker 5: When you leave high school, you can't come back there.
Speaker 2: Tell that to Wooderson. Come on, buddy.
Speaker 5: Good call.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 5: All right, all right, all right.
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 2: Jacob did a good job. Yeah, nicely done, Jacob.
Speaker 1: We're just up against you.
Speaker 2: We've got to get going for Krug. Nice job, Vigilante's vigilant views. Yeah, I think I like you better than Walter. Walter never gives me wins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 2: It's true. Yeah, Walter always gives it the murph. Mike Krug next on Esports Leader.
Speaker 1: Listen to the Sports Leader anytime, anywhere. Download KNBR, the Sports Leader app. Murph and Marcus continue live from the Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpot Studios. Casino Matrix. Progressive jackpots are here. Where are you? Just drop in.
Speaker 3: 1-800-GAMBLER.
Speaker 1: There's no question we've got the best in the booth. That's why Murph and Marcus catch up with Krook right now on KNBR 104.5 FM and 680 AM. All right, we love it.
Speaker 2: We love talking to Mike. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, Johnson won two in a row. They're going for a sweep today. Man, another bad injury to a starting pitcher. Lots to talk about. But before we get to any of that, Mike. I heard you do it last night on the broadcast, and we've been playing rejoins all morning. Let's open with the global morning for Dolly Parton. Now, you're a music guy all the way. We know when the crew goes get together, man, the instruments come out and the sing-alongs get going. And I could only imagine Dolly coming to your house for a sing-along is the collaboration I needed, Mike, because you guys have the same kind of energy and positivity. And just your thoughts on, you know, your kind of career was when she was a superstar, too. So good morning. Good morning, Mike.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good morning. A sad day. I mean, she was a gift in so many ways. You know, in my life, you know, you kind of get pigeonholed into a style of music and whatnot, and you kind of bypass it. And then later on in my life, I would, you know, I would find these singers that were amazing. I remember one time I was in a record store in San Luis Obispo, just, you know, just, you know, killing time, looking at albums. I hear this woman singing. in the music store. And I'm listening, I'm going, damn, that gal's amazing. And I went over to the guy at the, behind the desk. I said, who's that singing? He goes, well, that's Ella Fitzgerald. No. Well, I get it. Like one song, I could get all the fuss. And I, you know, I, I didn't know anything about this gal. Right. And then I dove into her and whatnot. I did the same thing with Frank Sinatra. I discovered him late and it was that way with Dolly Parton. I mean, the first time I heard her, was, I mean, I couldn't believe her voice. As pure as pure can be. And the other thing about her, I mean, Dolly Parton, I would hear a song and I'd say, that's a great song. Did she write that song? No. Dolly Parton wrote that song. I'll bet that happened a dozen times in my life. And so she was just a star and wasn't an accomplished musician, but the voice was just, it was so pure and so good. And she had so much fun. And when you watched her perform, she brought joy. And she was just happy. She was doing what she was put on the surface. And she knew it. And everything about what she did was fun. Even Dollywood. I mean, everybody raised their eyebrows. My son went to Dollywood when he was touring in Tennessee. And he said, Dad, it was unbelievable. It was so much fun. And I think that's the way she was, and she just brought happiness to a lot of people, certainly to our family.
Speaker 2: I'm going to kind of go off the grid here. I know we'll get to the Giants in just a second, but all the tributes that came out yesterday were so amazing. This is one from the late Roger Ebert. Did you see this? Do you remember the movie reviewer Roger Ebert? Oh, yeah. He and Siskel and Ebert. He wrote this. This is incredible. He goes, in Dallas for the premiere of 9 to 5, the movie 9 to 5. I had an uncanny experience, and on the plane home to Chicago, I confessed it to Siskel. I had been granted a private half hour with Dolly Parton, and as we spoke, I was filled with a strange, ethereal grace. This was not spiritual, nor was it sexual. It was healing and comforting. Jean listened and said, Roger, I felt the exact same thing during my interview with her. We looked at each other. What did this mean? Neither one of us ever felt that feeling again. From time to time, we would refer to it in wonder. She was almost like this Angel, Mike.
Speaker 3: I think that's a great way to describe her. And, you know, when you have– when you're around a person like that, when you feel a person before you actually see them in the room, you know, you can't help but stare. And it's a point– I mean, staring is rude. But it isn't when you're around a person like that because you can't take your eyes off them. And she was that way. I mean, she was magical, man.
Speaker 2: So anyway, I knew you would be. And it's a big story around the world. So anyway, we thank her for all the gifts. It's sad to be in a world without her. But on to the baseball.
Speaker 1: Mike, they won.
Speaker 2: And I know we got to talk about Adrian Hauser. That was really, really tough. But how do you sort of explain that? These lineups the last two days, Turner Hill at cleanup, Shea Whitcomb at third, Anthony Molina on the mound. Guys, Giants fans, you have to be a super hard-o to even know who these guys are. How do you explain them winning two in a row?
Speaker 3: Defense. The defense the last two days have been spectacular. I've always believed that the sure sign of a baseball player is their first step on defense and their first step on the base pass. And that was really in full splendor the last two nights, especially in the outfield. I mean, you had, you know, you had Turner Hill and you had Drew Gilbert and you had Grant McRae and they were amazing. Those are the three center fielders right there. I mean, but if you watched, you know, their first step to the ball, I mean, it was almost like when a ball was hit, they all moved. That first step was going at the same time as the ball. But it was hitting center field. I mean, even the corner outfielders were, you know, that first step was going to the ball. And it was just so choreographed and beautiful. I mean, to me, that's what makes a game. I would prefer to have a team behind me more so than an offense every time when I was pitching. Because they make plays and they take away 90-foot mistakes. And that's what the Giants all year long have done consistently is they give 90-foot mistakes. The last two nights have been the other way. Those are really, really fun games for me. We're learning Turner Hill's game right now. He's a guy that does a lot of little things. It reminds me of Mike Yastrzemski. When Yastrzemski first came up, it was fun to watch how fundamentally sound he was. Everything was perfect. He didn't have a great arm, but he had a great system. He had tremendous accuracy. He had a really quick Well, it's the same thing with Hill. I mean, he goes out and you watch his footwork. When he's playing left field, he's a left-handed outfielder. So when he goes over to the foul line, he catches the ball and he threes it before he gets the ball to throw to second base. And his footwork is so compact. You know, guys have footwork, but their strides are longer, and it takes them longer to get rid of the ball, not him. And that is something that, you know, he– I don't know. You're not born with that. That's something you have to figure out, and you have to be taught, and then you have to perfect. And he's got a bunch of things like that to his game. So if you looked at what we saw, you know, Koss was saying, you know, he's a really good shortstop. And, you know, we're really impressed with Shea Whitcomb. I mean, this is our first chance to see him. Here's a guy that plays three infield positions, the ground pick by Houston. And now I see what all the fuss is about. You know, he has a nice glove and a good arm. And, I mean, you could say the same thing about Furman. So you've got a lot of these young players that have gotten to the big league level, and there is a more complete– there's more of a complete sense of them as a player. They're not just offensive. They're not just defensive. You know, they have some game. And the defense the last two nights, you know, that really stood out to me.
Speaker 4: Mike, it was an interesting start for this Giants lineup yesterday with Brady Singer's decision to throw behind Drew Gilbert on his first pitch of the game, then comes back, bounces one off his Evo shield off his ankle on the second pitch of the game. Now, we all know that there was a dust-up in Cincinnati earlier this season. Were you surprised to see some of that bad blood still spill over this late in the season? And do you think some of that bad blood will continue in today's getaway game?
Speaker 3: That was really odd because what happened in Cincinnati was a big nothing. There was a couple of guys wolfing. And nobody was involved. I mean, I have no idea what that guy was thinking about. I really don't. And, you know, I mean, he wasn't involved in the game. I mean, Drew Gilbert wasn't doing anything disrespectful in Cincinnati. So I guess just for him to single out in game two, I mean, I don't understand it. And, you know, and plus, singers from Florida, those guys are usually pretty mellow. If you have somebody who's going to chirp like that and throw it, they're usually from North Carolina. But I don't know. I didn't understand it. Plus, he threw at him twice. And then when he hit him, I'm surprised that he didn't get tossed. He could have. I mean, in today's game, I mean, they have a zero tolerance for throwing at guys. Well, it was freaking obvious he was throwing at them. But, yeah, I thought that was weird.
Speaker 2: It was weird. And Terry Francona manages the Reds. He's old school. Yeah, that's kind of part of Tito's game.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, he is old school, but that to me still was bizarre. You know, I mean, if you throw behind him by three feet, if you're going to hit a guy, you're going to throw behind him because the guy is naturally going to fall back away from the pitch because he thinks it's going to be in, and he'll fall into it. And he missed behind him, and then he goes back down and he hits him in the legs. So, I mean, at least he hit him below the belt. But still, I mean, it picked off a bunch of guys over in the Giants' dugout And I thought the biggest hit of the game when Singer put on a hit batsman, a walk, then another hit batsman, which I didn't think was intentional, it got to Drew Cavanaugh, and he comes up and he gets a base hit that puts in two runs. If they don't get a hit there, the momentum goes right into the Reds' dugout. If he gives you three guys for free to set the bases loaded and you have a no-out situation, you don't score anybody there, That momentum goes right in the Reds' dugout. So for Kavanaugh to get that hit and cash in two times in that first inning and give the Giants another lead, I thought that was the biggest hit in the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 2: In fact, just a little moment on Kavanaugh. Three knocks last night, and he's hitting. 253 on base of.
Speaker 7: 352.
Speaker 2: There's no power. He has no bombs. And his OPS is only.
Speaker 7: 616.
Speaker 2: But behind the dish and at the plate, I'm just kind of wondering, the other day we asked you about Pat Bailey. You said he's a great backup, and he is. He won two gold gloves and all that. I don't know. Is Drew Kavanaugh good enough to be the Giants' backup catcher in 2027? Well, I don't even know if he's a backup.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think if I'm looking at the situation now, it's a platoon. Kavanaugh would play against right-handed pitchers, and Zusak would play against lefties. I don't know how it's all going to unfold right now. We're still learning Kavanaugh's game, but I'll tell you one thing we found out about him. When you have a situation where you have a starting pitcher of the opposing team throw twice at your leadoff error, and he hits two guys in the first inning, everybody gets an attitude in the dugout. But your fighters, they emerge because they get a real good focus going. And you learned a lot about Kavanaugh when his guy got hit. He went right into fight mode. He was hoping there was an instant where something would break out and he would go out there and do a rat-a-tat on a couple of guys. Well, he took it out on Singer and the other way. He did it with his bat. And I just think, you know, that situation when you have an opposing hitter, opposing pitcher hit one of your guys, everybody elevates and everybody gets ticked off. But you find out who your fighters are as to how they perform in that game. They may not get in a fight, but they're going to have a good day with the bats. And Kavanaugh, in my mind, his stock went up yesterday, just the night he had after two guys got drilled. He had three hits in a walk. He had his best night or best day or best game ever in his young big league career. So we're still learning about him.
Speaker 4: Mike, last question for me on the two pitchers that both left the game early the last couple of days. Carson Wisenhunt, we got the report that he does have a torn UCL. So he'd be heading towards Tommy John surgery. And then yesterday, Adrian Hauser leaves the game with an elbow injury as well. Mike, we know that this is a part of the game for pitchers, but your thoughts on both of those guys leaving the game early and how that affects the Giants' rotation moving forward?
Speaker 3: It's just horrible. I mean, you rarely see two guys go out back-to-back and go out early in a game. And I just tip my cap to the bullpen. I mean, they really rallied the last two days. But we're waiting for the MRI return on Hauser, and hopefully it's not another Tommy John that has to be thrown his way. You don't trust, you know, twinges and elbows this late in the season. I mean, this is August. And, you know, guys have been throwing a long time. And you see arms going down, guys breaking down all around the league. So it is the era of the game. You know, when I pitch, you had, you know, guys that had three, four pitches. And a lot of them didn't even have change-ups. The fact that these guys are now throwing five, six, seven types of movements seven different types of pitches, it stresses out the arm. And I think they're more subjected to Tommy John and arm injuries now more than ever in the history of the game simply because they're throwing more types of pitches, especially pitches like splits and change-ups, which accelerate the arm speed. Those pitches, when you throw them as a pitcher, your arm speed is actually faster than that of a fastball. And the negative side of the throwing motion, the side of your motion that stops your arm after you throw it, it gets overloaded. And you see guys break down on the shoulder and the elbow all the time. So it's just a matter of the way that the game has evolved. It has evolved into where guys are, are now throwing many more movements, and it's definitely stressing out their arms. But to see it back-to-back days is really unusual.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really unusual. And so all good wishes to Landon Roop today as he takes the hill, trying to finish off this sweep, give the Giants their first sweep of the season against lefty Nick Lodolo of the Reds, former first-round pick back in 2019. Mike, last one for me is the guy who came in, to pitch after Hauser went down Anthony Molina. Now he was in the Tyler Malley trade. He was not a heralded prospect at all. His numbers were not awesome. I think giants fans saw him as maybe like a bulk middle inning guy or at best he's 24. He's young and man, did he give up some hard contact early? The reds were not fooled by him in the first couple innings. Great catches all over the place from Drew Gilbert to Turner Hill, but anything that you saw from this guy that the giants can take and believe in, Well.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's a little vulnerable that first inning or so because, you know, he's putting on the Giants uniform for the first time. And you can imagine the adrenaline that's running through him. So he's a little geeked up. But he was throwing strikes. I mean, to me, that's the take. Adam Balls are good fortune, don't get me wrong. But there's a lot of guys when they get that adrenaline going through their arm, they can't throw strikes or they lose pitches. He didn't. They got hit hard. They got caught. But after the adrenaline kind of wore down, I mean, he really settled in. And a nice blend of two types of movement with a fastball, good changeup. He was throwing all his pitches and all the counts and not afraid. So, I mean, there's a guy– you have to have bulk inning guys in the pen. You have to. A guy who can go through the lineup one time when a starter goes out early, as we've seen the last two nights. And if there's a situation where a starter goes down or warms up, can't go, Well, you have to have somebody who can go in there and be comfortable in a start where you've been given five minutes notice to. So I like what I've seen from this guy. He's 24 years old. So, you know, he's got some dirt under his fingernails. He's been around a little bit. And it showed last night the way he was able to compose himself. So he really made a nice name for himself very quickly in last night's game.
Speaker 2: Listen, Giants need bullpen arms, and if this guy can join the fray, we'll see over the next month. Last one is, did you see Pat Murphy last night, the Brewers manager, benching this kid Cooper Pratt for not running out of pop-up? Did you see that?
Speaker 3: No, I just read about it this morning, and Pratt's a shortstop, first-round pick, and we saw him, we were impressed with him, and blah, blah, blah. Young. Not hustling? Sit your butt down. And guess what? He shouldn't play today. It should be a one-and-a-half-game penalty, because there's no... excuse for that and I love the fact that he taught this lesson to this young player because you know what everybody in that clubhouse has picked off that this kid didn't do it either and you know you'll get veterans come up to a rookie and tell them that's not something that we do you need to kick it in another gear but it doesn't have the same impact as to when a manager sits you down or takes you out of a game in the middle of a game and embarrasses you not only in front of your teammates but in front of everybody in that ballpark So that's a lesson, hopefully, that he learns and we never see from him again. And unfortunately, some guys have to learn that way. It doesn't always happen to rookies. You see it happen with veterans, too. I think any time you see it, it should be called and a guy should have to come out of the game. There's no tolerance for that in my book.
Speaker 2: Mike, the Pat Murphy quotes are great. He talks about how he didn't get a bunt down earlier in the game, and he should have bunted a strike, and that ticked off Murphy. And then the pop-up where he didn't run it out. It's a long quote, but he says you've got to be locked in if you're going to play at this level. So hopefully it's a good learning experience. He says, I love the kid, and I believe in the kid. He said, but, and he's a great defender, but this is not tolerated by anybody. And it sends a message to everybody else too. You better run. So, I mean, this is, I am surprised that today's day and age, this happens. And I, to be honest, I'm okay. If Tony V started talking like this, Mike.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, he's backed it up already. He's just, I mean, that's a big part of every manager in the big leagues, Tony, no exception. And you can't do it. I think it may, I think it's a little more impactful when you do it with a veteran and Because if you do it to one of your big core guys, then the rookies take notice of that. Well, I have to run out. But whatever the situation presents itself, I think it should be handled the same way.
Speaker 2: Good stuff, Mike. Go put on your Dolly Parton. You have a day game today. Landon Roop, Giants going for the sweep, and enjoy the heck out of it. We'll talk to you Friday.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Mike.
Speaker 2: Mike Kruko, every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I just saw that Pat Murphy stuff. His quotes were great. I was just checking it out right now. Yeah, yeah, yeah. To be honest, Tony could have done that with Willie Adamas.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, there have been some people who have complained about Rafael Devers not running hard out of the box.
Speaker 2: There was just a ball that just dropped the other week. Yeah, it's funny you say that about Devers. It's true. There are other times, though. He's busting ass out there. It surprises you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a pretty good base runner when he needs to be. Like, if he needs to get first to third in a certain situation, he'll hustle, but he's not going to hustle every single time out of the box.
Speaker 2: So we go in George Orwell. All animals are equal. Some animals are more equal than other animals.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when you hit 30 home runs, you're allowed to walk out of the box every once in a while.
Speaker 2: Only 28, dude, only 28. Yeah, he's on pace, he's on pace. All right, all right. Hey, 49ers are the big hit, and I know we're going longer with Mike these days. We're squeezing everything we can out of Mike, and you guys understand why, right? So we appreciate everybody tuning in for that. We got some football, though, coming your way. Todd Husek at 8.50, Larry Kruger at 9.30, and some comments. Kyle Shanahan did not duck. The Jed York questions next on Esports Later.
Speaker 8: This is the big hit. Sponsored by Benjamin Moore Paints. Experience the Benjamin Moore retail difference at our independently owned authorized retailers today or at BenjaminMoore.com. Murph and Marcus continue live from the Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpot Studios. Casino Matrix. Progressive jackpots are here.
Speaker 1: Where are you? Just drop in.
Speaker 3: 1-800-GAMBLER.
Speaker 2: Hey, the big hit takes on a different vibe today. Usually we have our big hit. This is the big hit with all your audio production. But today's a special day. We've been playing Dolly rejoins most all morning long. And Marcus, you remember during COVID?
Speaker 3: Yeah. Remember this? Oh, yes, I do.
Speaker 2: Let me hear a story from your version because you're a young man. You were six years younger back then.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was.
Speaker 2: I was a lot younger.
Speaker 4: Now, Murph, I've been waiting for this song all morning long. Going back to, I believe, what might have been my first ever pop culture showdown.
Speaker 2: It was Hums and Bums. Was it Hums and Bums? Oh, it was the passing of Kenny Rogers. That's what it was. We had COVID. We had to do Hums and Bums. There's no sports. How do you find three humbabies and three bumbabies? Like Korean baseball?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: And Kenny Rogers sadly passed away right at the start of COVID. And I had the humbabies that week and I was like, well... I'm going to make the music of Kenny Rogers a home baby. And so we made it that, and I played this and you had never.
Speaker 4: No, that was my first time hearing this track and Murph. I've no, I know that we've done a good job of putting each other on game when it comes to our own music selection, Larry June.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: I mean, we can talk to the Russell, Larry June, but getting deep into the Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, this immediately got added to my playlist. This is something I'll throw on when I'm rolling one up or I'm hanging out on the boat. Like to me, this is, maybe not even, maybe this is my favorite dolly song.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, man, we've had some fun all morning and man, it's sad. I tell you, and I sent this out on Twitter. I said, Twitter is the, maybe the most venomous place I've ever encountered in my life. Like it is so angry. Marcus taught me years ago. He taught the old guy a lesson. Comments suck. Yes, they can't go down that road. You can put out the most positive thing in the world and people like you suck. You suck. That sucks. This sucks. That sucks. This sucks. I went down a rabbit hole last night of Dolly Parton. I can't I have yet to find anything venomous or negative about Dolly Parton. And she's made so many people feel so good in her music, hit people on so many different levels and her acting and her humanitarian acts and just her. Something as simple as her talk. Go look at her little song she wrote for Johnny Carson when she said, I didn't make it until I got it on the Johnny Carson show. She wrote this little diddy. Everything she did makes you smile. And the proof was in the pudding. Everybody has a story about her just doing a solid for somebody here, a solid for somebody there. As one of the guys just said, she was a real one. She was a real one.
Speaker 4: She was bigger than just a pop culture icon. She's an American icon.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So there you go. That's our big hit intro. But we got to get into the 49ers. As I tell you, I listen to KMBR AM and KMBR FM San Francisco, the sports leader, a cumulus media station. And yeah, man, I was pretty impressed by Kyle Shanahan yesterday by going right into the Jed York questions. Marcus, you said it an hour ago and you said it really well, buddy. The Giants had this situation in June. Well, you didn't say. You just said, oh, not football questions only, which was good. But Marcus pointed out that the Giants had this situation in June with the pride thing. Sorry to rip open this wound for everybody, but they ran away from it. And It did not play well, obviously. It did not play well at all. No, I think they actually made it worse with the way they handled it. So Jed getting popped for a prostitution charge and all the embarrassment that comes with it, the fact that he's living out in Ohio now, how will this affect his decision? Will he face any punishment from the NFL? All these things that go on for the conduct policy. And they finally asked Kyle, it's funny how the reporters are. And I get it. I've been that reporter where you're like, you're not going to open with Jed. They opened by asking about left guard. How's the Carver Willis situation looking? I need an update on Connor Colby. And finally, after a few, then there was a Christian Kirk, and then there was Cut Day coming up. And finally, Cut D, he was asked, have you talked to Jed since the arrest? And he could have said, listen, guys, I'm not going to go there. Instead, he said this.
Speaker 7: Obviously, the news yesterday morning about Jed Have you had an opportunity to talk to him or just kind of what's your view and where things are with the organization moving forward?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I got to talk to Jed the last two days and today. Obviously, it's a very tough situation. Views for the organization going forward is the same as usual. I mean, there won't be any difference in that. But I know it's extremely fresh. I think it's a very, very personal situation. I got a lot of respect for Jed.
Speaker 3: I got a lot of.
Speaker 9: Respect for Danielle. Their family does mean a lot to me. So I'm like, With it being this personal, I'm trying as hard as I can to keep.
Speaker 3: It that way.
Speaker 2: So I thought it's all a good answer and the respect he has for Jed and Danielle. He mentioned Danielle, his wife, whom he's divorcing, which was really nice. And listen, the York family hired Kyle Shanahan, man. They gave him this opportunity to live out his dream. They've kept him there for nine years and for the foreseeable future, too. So he said, it's very, very personal. It's very, very fresh. And I'm trying to keep it personal, which I thought was a very fair Answer, there's a follow-up about Jed. How does this affect him being around the team? Cut E, Jacob.
Speaker 7: Practically, is it possible that Jed will be away from the team for a while or just not.
Speaker 3: As much as a presence?
Speaker 9: I mean, it's been like that this summer anyways, with him being out in Ohio and things like that. So there'd be no difference right now. He hasn't been here for training camp.
Speaker 2: How about that? So that was something we talked about yesterday. I had heard that he was moving to Ohio, mostly for tax purposes, but also he's getting divorced and he's no longer with his wife. And the TMZ report had more details that he's now living in a house in Boardman, Ohio, owned by his parents. That's where he departed from for this ill-fated trip to Wheat Hill Mobile Park. And so he has not been around the team.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: And I know that there have been a lot of people asking questions about how that affects his role overall with the team. But to your point, his role has been reduced since Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch took over. Like this is not the same style of ownership that Jed was implementing when he was firing Jim Harbaugh. Like, no, he went down that row, obviously had the terrible years with Jim Tomsula and Chip Kelly. But once they brought in John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan, they're the ones making the football decisions.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Jed's still going to give the thumbs up and sign off on all of these moves and decisions. But to me, this doesn't really make a huge impact on, whether or not Jed's in Santa Clara or Ohio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I got to say, I, you know, listen, we had the celebrated interview in 2014 where he fired Harbaugh. He came on, and I questioned him all this stuff about firing Harbaugh, and it didn't go well, and he hasn't been on the show since. He hasn't been on KMBR since. I've said this on a number of times through the past several years. I think I even jock blogged about it. He deserves a lot of credit for changing and maturing as an owner. He really has stepped aside and let the football guys make the football decisions. Not everybody does it. Shout out Jerry Jones. Shout out Jerry Jones.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: So next one up is they continue to ask again, will this affect the way the team is run? Cut F here. Does that work as decisions get made?
Speaker 7: Up?
Speaker 2: Maybe there hasn't been one of those.
Speaker 3: Does it go to somebody else? Is it still got to be Jed?
Speaker 9: No, it's the same as always. I mean, Jed has been as good as it gets since I've been here on letting the football people make football decisions. I mean, Jed always wants to be informed and a part of things, but Jed has been– exactly what he said he would be and letting us make those decisions. And he always wants to know about them and stuff. And whether he's here in the building or a text away or on a phone call, that doesn't change anything.
Speaker 2: So that's to the point. He's saying, yeah, listen, he wants to know what's going on, but he lets John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan and the personnel office say, hey, let's go sign Osa Odigizuar. Let's go sign Mike Evans. Let's go sign Christian Kirk. And I'm guessing moving forward that Jed is still going to be in the loop. I just don't know if we're going to see him publicly, if we're going to see him show and face week one down in Australia. Yeah, I mean, the nuclear scenario that people throw out, does this force a sale of the team? Probably not. I mean, it's not like the guy, listen, as bad as it was, it's a misdemeanor. It's not a felony. It's not, you know. He didn't get caught doing stuff. Like poor Eddie, unfortunately, I hate to drag it out. You know, he committed a federal crime. And that was a tough deal. And the league had to step in and strip the team from Eddie. And that was a big deal. The league's not going to strip the team from Jed over this. It's an embarrassment is what it is. It's a misdemeanor. It's humiliating for sure. but people thinking that's going to force a sale of the team. I think that's a little step too far. Is it a distraction though? You had Kyle's accident, July 14th, doesn't get reported until July 25th. And now this, these things just tend to kind of swirl around a team, but Kyle says, no, dude, we're just trying to win football games. Cut H.
Speaker 7: Between your accident and the whole story with Jed, is there any impact you think on the football and on the team in any way?
Speaker 9: I mean, I don't get how my story has an impact on the team.
Speaker 2: I mean, Some people say these are distractions.
Speaker 3: In any way, does it impact the football in any way? No.
Speaker 9: Just questions you've got to answer.
Speaker 2: Just questions you've got to answer. He went on and he talked about that. You expanded on that quote where he said, it's like anybody has to answer a question from a non-football person, right? Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: He talked about how players have to answer questions from media members quoting PFF and their football grades from non-football people. He talked about how Brock Purdy, if he throws an interception, has to address the media. Hell, we've had guys had to sit there and answer questions about guys like Brandon Ayuk and off-field issues that they don't want to deal with. But that's part of the job. I mean, we have a bad segment. Sometimes we have to address it as well. It's like, yeah, there are times where there are things that you don't want to talk about. But it's part of the job. And still, at the end of the day, your job is to perform on the field. And if you perform well enough, people are going to talk about more of the on-field issues and the things going on instead of the off-field issues and the storylines that make headlines on TMZ.
Speaker 2: What do you mean bad segment? I've never heard of it.
Speaker 3: Allegedly. Blown segment.
Speaker 2: Finally, Shanahan, another question, follow-up. Is it a distraction to the team?
Speaker 7: Cut him.
Speaker 9: My view is, as the coach, does it have an effect on us as a team? And that's what I continue to answer on. From a football standpoint, it has no effect on us. I mean, as far as what we do day to day, what we talk about, it hasn't been mentioned in a meeting today. It doesn't have to do with what happens on the field. Everything outside of there, I think you guys can judge that better than me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, I gave Kyle a lot of credit. He stood there, answered all the questions. And as we said, that's the best way to do it. Because I think pretty much after this, we may not be talking about this. I mean, they're going to play the Raiders tomorrow night, and then we're going to get ready for the trip to Australia, which is next Wednesday, right? And so as long as nothing else happens with Jed or if the league just finds him or something like that, then it will go away.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Me and less, you know, yeah. The divorce proceedings take a turn.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know how this story is going to continue to play out, but me personally, like I'm more concerned about like Mike Evans leaving practice yesterday with a groin injury or Nick Bosa being healthy and getting on the field or rumors about a potential hold in with Christian McCaffrey. Like those are the things that actually are going to impact the 49er season in the record.
Speaker 2: Jed York's not.
Speaker 4: Calling up plays or dialing up schemes to confuse Matthew Stafford. Like, yes, this is a bit of a distraction with the media outside of football, but But at the end of the day, you still got to make plays on the field.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So here we go, guys. There you go. I mean, the Kyle addressed it and he said it as best he can. I still do believe given my vast experience in this life, there is a general energy and a static that will drag down. a team, they're going to have to overcome it. Doesn't mean they can't overcome it. They can overcome it, but there is, it's better if everybody's healthy and your owner doesn't get popped for prostitution and your head coach didn't get into a car accident.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And if you don't practice next to a substation, very good. Well, to those football questions, he did address some of those to George Kittle, Nick Bosa. He talked about Dajon Stribling. So more Kyle next on the sports leader.