Speaker 1: Yo, dirty work on the air.
Speaker 2: Adam Copeland off today because we got counter-programming going on. If you're looking for a little 49ers pregame action, I got you covered. It's Adam Copeland, John Dickinson on KSFO right now, live.
Speaker 1: From Tim's apartment.
Speaker 2: But because there's a Giants game going on tonight, me and the one and only Rick Tittle got you until 545 before the Giants take on the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Speaker 1: Rick, what's going on, my man? Well, I have a little announcement to make, Derek. What's that, Rick?
Speaker 3: I've been inspired by a Turkish basketball player. I've changed my name to Rick Tittle Freedom, and I would like to be called that from now on.
Speaker 1: So respect me. Okay, I will do that the rest of the show. Actually, I have another announcement. Oh, two. I've changed it again. I want you to call me. That quickly? I want you to call me Jan. Just Jan the rest of the time? Jan 6th.
Speaker 4: Oh, gotcha.
Speaker 1: Okay. That's a good second.
Speaker 3: Actually, I was either going to do that or after a certain baseball player, I was going to be Dave Maga Den.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll let you talk now. Yeah, can I just go with Jan 6th the rest of the show?
Speaker 4: Is that fine? Yeah. So Mr.
Speaker 2: 6th.
Speaker 1: Uh, as, I mean, you and I grew up diehard Raider fans.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's only right that we get, we do the Raider perspective. You know, Copes and JD are doing a Niner pregame. Why don't we do a Raider pregame for those fans that are still longing for the Oakland Raiders?
Speaker 3: I think the flamethrower will melt if we talk silver and black.
Speaker 1: Oh, come on, man. Did you not just hear me? They're doing the show from Tim's apartment. This thing's over. It's the state of radio. That sounds like the Don Rickles thing. Your life is over.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, from dirty work. So how you been, Ricky? What is tickling your fancy in sports these days? Well, I'm super excited that the Premier League has started again. And my team Spurs got off to a bad start. That's the Premier League, Rick.
Speaker 1: Premier League. Yeah, what did I say?
Speaker 2: No, you got Premier League of the Prem. I know more about soccer than you do, which I did, which I do not. You prove to everybody when we had you on during the World Cup. You you definitely know your stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When I wrote for a newspaper and I worked it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But whatever.
Speaker 3: It's they they beat. They were in the League Cup. They beat Charlton yesterday. They got Marmush over the line. And so I'm feeling a little bit better. No one knows what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: It's all good. A couple people. Did you watch the Giants collapse yesterday? You know what?
Speaker 3: I felt really bad. I was actually listening. I was in the, where was I? I was in the car, but I was listening to John and Dave on the flamethrower. And when Drew, the little guy from Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Oh, Drew Gilbert. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Drew Gilbert hit that ball off the wall, almost a grand slam.
Speaker 1: I thought it was over too, yeah.
Speaker 3: Nine to three. And I'm like, wow, they're going to finally have their first sweep. And it was just, it was one of those collapses where, and I can say this now because the Giants have won three World Series since then, but I was at all seven of those games in 02. And in Anaheim, starting the eighth inning, it's five to nothing Giants. Dusty gives Russ Ortiz the ball. You know, you got Rob Nen, you got all these guys coming in. Scott Spezio, three run home run. I mean, it just, it sort of felt like you were watching something bleed to death on your front lawn. And you were in a straight jacket, like Hannibal Lecter with, you know, clockwork orange, forcing your eyeballs open, like watching something.
Speaker 1: Fava beans with a nice can tea. Very good.
Speaker 3: No, it was just, it was one of those things. Like, even if you're not a Giants fan, you just feel really sorry.
Speaker 1: Oh God. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Sorry. Sorry.
Speaker 1: Is it all right now?
Speaker 3: But it was, it was horrifying and you almost feel like, can we just, Like, start the offseason right now instead of playing for another month.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 2: Well, me and Cope said the postgame yesterday, and our reaction was, this is not rock bottom.
Speaker 4: Like, yes.
Speaker 1: That's not rock bottom? Well, I mean, like, think about the season. Think about other moments.
Speaker 2: Like, they waved the white flag months ago. And I would say that when you're 25 games below. 500, I can't say that's rock bottom. I understand that that win, or sorry, that loss was demoralizing. But in the grand scheme of things, in the season they've had, I can't say that's rock bottom. I think that's below rock bottom. I think that's Brad Pitt with 50 feet of crap rock bottom.
Speaker 3: That's the kind of thing where people who don't even understand baseball are like, what are you doing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: But you know what? I said this yesterday, and again, like how quickly it happened, it was shocking. But I wasn't surprised by the outcome because.
Speaker 5: I still was.
Speaker 1: These are big leaguers.
Speaker 2: I understand. Have you seen the lineup they're putting out these days?
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: They're flying squirrels. And I'm not talking about AA Richmond. They're literally flying squirrels. It's hard to get a uniform that small.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But still, it's just it was amazingly I mean, it was almost like you're watching something and it's so morbid and it's almost like voyeuristic, like you feel bad.
Speaker 1: You're watching it.
Speaker 3: And John and Dave were kind of like, I mean, it's hard. When those guys get incredulous, they're like, I don't understand what's happening right now.
Speaker 2: Well, the best medicine for a demoralizing loss is just to get back at it today, and the Giants will do that against the Arizona Diamondbacks. Pre-game at 545, first pitch at 645. Today we'll be joined by Sam Gordon, who was covering the Warriors for the SF Chronicle. Now he's covering the Raiders for the Las Vegas Review-Journal. We'll talk to him at 250, along with Rich Aurelia at 450. We'll get his thoughts on yesterday's demoralizing loss. But we're exactly two weeks away, Rick, from the 49ers and Rams facing off in Australia. How do you feel about American football in Australia?
Speaker 1: I think it's great to spread the religion. I think it's probably taken too long.
Speaker 3: But in the grand scheme of things, I think what the NFL is waiting for outside of having, because Goodell kind of mentioned having two teams in London.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And if you think that's weird, I mean, if you think about how big London is and how many soccer teams they have, and you think about New York having multiple teams, it makes every sense in the world for London to have two teams. You're going to have that NFL division, and then they're going to play each other. Then they'll come over here probably for three weeks to a month. And then if you do the road trip over there, three weeks to a month. But the thing is, is that division is going to stink because the only people that are going to.
Speaker 1: Go there are people who get drafted by the whatever, the Amsterdam. London Silly Nannies?
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Yes, the London Mary Poppins. It's going to be really hard to get those people to go. It was hard enough to get them to go to NFL Europe, but that was their only recourse at the time. But I think the thing about having a football game in Australia, that's mostly just for merch and stuff like that. They're never going to have a team there unless somebody invents how to beam you down there like Scotty.
Speaker 2: No, I don't see that happening, but London is on the horizon. Roger Goodell talked about it a couple weeks ago, as you said. I just don't see it where it's going to be multiple teams. I think, like, we could talk about this for a while now. It sounds like the Jacksonville Jaguars are going to move to London eventually.
Speaker 3: Well, Shahid Khan owns Fulham Football Club at Craven Cottage there on the West End. And, of course, the Jags play two games a year there, it seems like right now.
Speaker 1: It's a great thing. They say Jaguar.
Speaker 4: Jaguar?
Speaker 1: Jaguar. I always wonder how people here say Jagwire. Where does that come from? That's me. You say Jagwire?
Speaker 4: Yeah. Wow.
Speaker 1: The AP wire and Jagwire. I'm sorry. How do you say it, Rick? Jaguar. Jaguar. No, I just say Jaguar. You should see how I say Tennessee Titans. How do you say that? Like I have to like really pronounce it. Well, you hit the T's. How would you say Rick Tittle then? Rick Tittle. Oh, we say it with D's. But I'm, well, I'm just. It's Rick Tittle. Yeah, Rick Tittle.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: Hit that Tittle very hard. Very slowly too.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: And yeah, the FCC don't, somebody just drove off the road. It doesn't exist on the station anymore. Have you listened to this show?
Speaker 3: Somebody with a three-piece suit and a monocle just drove off the road. But no, I mean, Shot Kahn, by the way, is a great American story.
Speaker 1: An immigrant. Everybody's Shot Kahn. Do you know how... Not bad. Shot Kahn. Shot Kahn. All right, sorry. He made his money off mufflers like Tommy Callahan. You don't... Oh, yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Motown, mufflers.
Speaker 2: Did he have to have the same situation where him and David Spade had to go like town to town and sell brakes?
Speaker 4: They did.
Speaker 1: Please, Dan Aykroyd, save our company. I make parts for the American worker because I am one. You kind of look like Dan Aykroyd. Has anybody ever told you that before?
Speaker 3: Well, hopefully the earlier one, Wild and Crazy Guy, not the one now.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No one's ever told me that now. Well, I'm the first. Yeah, I usually get Ernest Borgnine.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: Wow, the references already. Did you interview him back in the day, Rick? I never got Ernest Borgnine, unfortunately, no. I got Ed Asner right before he died, though.
Speaker 1: Does that count? Close enough. All right. 70s.
Speaker 3: If anyone was ever on a love boat or a fantasy island, then.
Speaker 1: It's jury duty to do my sports show.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Today I had Owen Wilson, who's an actual. I was just about to ask you about that.
Speaker 2: So I always love it when you post who's coming on your byline show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a nationally syndicated show. Yes, great show. But don't listen to it. Listen to KMBR. Well, either way.
Speaker 2: But I love that you get wide-ranging guests. And it could be like, you know, some pop sensation.
Speaker 1: From, I don't know. Pick a place. Austria, whatever. And then you get like Owen Wilson on. So what was Owen Wilson up to these days? He has a new movie out called Runner. He kind of plays a bit part. But you know what's weird is a guy like that, that's the first time I've had his brother, Luke, who's really funny. I like having him on.
Speaker 3: But when you interview someone and you know their voice perfectly, but it's not because you know them.
Speaker 6: Oh, wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. It's just like, Wes Anderson was my roommate at UT. I don't do a very good Owen Wilson. But anyway, it's just weird to hear. I wrote Rushmore.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So when I will get literally Russell Crowe, Chris Pratt, Michael P. Jordan, Ewan McGregor, I get guys like that.
Speaker 1: Heavy hitters, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But then you have to do like Dick Hertz, who's the, you know, or whatever, Phil McCracken, some pop star.
Speaker 1: Are these porn stars?
Speaker 4: No, these are.
Speaker 3: You have to like do a little bit of uh favors yeah we'll give you these three nobodies oh i got you for that yeah so a lot of times i'm like why am i interviewing this guy and my boss will be like well he's no one wilson he's the guy that got us chris pratt and i was like uh okay are.
Speaker 1: We any closer to a wedding crashers too i don't think so oh man i know i would love to see it though I mean, yes and no. There's a lot of sequels these days, and I'm like, you kind of missed the boat on that one. Todd, it was a gift. I'm taking it with me. Yeah, exactly. Great movie.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we need to know what happened to life after they crashed their last wedding.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, there's some, I mean, if it's just a money spinner, no. If it's actually super clever, awesome, then yeah. How many of those do we have these days, though, with sequels? Well, it's like Dumb and Dumber 2. There's no way you could hold up to it, so you might as well not have done it.
Speaker 4: It's a cash.
Speaker 1: Grab for, honestly, Carrie and Jeff Daniels. I watched it.
Speaker 2: I did not.
Speaker 1: I didn't watch When Harry Met Lloyd. I didn't watch Dumb and Dumber 2. I didn't watch that one either. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Let me know when the show starts and we'll talk about interesting stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, we can definitely talk sports today because you and I have interesting perspectives working in the Bay Area for quite some time. You obviously longer than me, but Raiders and 49ers history. We can talk about classic games or even do some trivia. Our guy Danny Dunn has compiled some questions you can ask later on the show. We got good bits today. We got a grab bag. You asked for that. We're going to do some grab bags. No sports personality improv.
Speaker 4: No SPI. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's all you, man. You're great with the impersonations. I'm hit or miss.
Speaker 2: I can just do like a Stephen A. Smith from time to time. You can do a good John Miller. I could do a good John Miller. And we may talk to John Miller later on the show.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: For our little Giants pregame, our talkback. That was me that just went, oh. No, that wasn't a drop or anything. And I'm sure we'll get to. That wasn't Farhan. Your thoughts with the Niners this week.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Off the field.
Speaker 4: Gen York.
Speaker 1: All time, all time story. I feel really bad for them. I do too. You can't like in the words of Ray Ratto, you can't deny the story is hilarious. Well, I mean, I hate to kick a guy when he's down. I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 3: You know, it's just, to me, that's the story. You tell it, and then after that point, there's nothing more to report, really. I thought it was interesting, though. Somebody asked Kyle yesterday. It was a two-part question. It was, first of all, so how does that change things around here? And he's like, it doesn't at all. He's never even been at camp. And then one guy said, so I saw Al Guido walking around. Is he in charge now? And Kyle's like, no. No, nothing changes.
Speaker 1: I'm in charge. I guess people have to ask, like, why are you even asking that question? It's like, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll talk about that and how it, I don't know, impacts the football team. I think 0%. 0%. Yeah. So there you go. There's the segment right there. But we'll talk to Sam Gordon. We can air static during that segment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk to Sam Gordon, who covers the Las Vegas Raiders at 250, Rich Aurelia at 450. Let's talk about the Giants loss yesterday. All-time bad Giants loss. All-time bad Giants season. You trust in Buster Posey right now?
Speaker 1: We'll talk about it next. We want to hear from you. 415-808-5627.
Speaker 2: It's Rick Tittle, Derek Papa, Dirty.
Speaker 1: Work, the alternate broadcast on The Sports Leader.
Speaker 5: Now back to Dirty Work with Copes and Depop on 104.5 FM and 680 AM The Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: As Pagan delivers.
Speaker 7: And a splitter strikes him out swinging. That one just was the prototype of the splitter, tumbling down and ending up well down below the knees. For the Giants, the chance to sweep a three-game series disappears. They were just three outs away from doing it with a six-run lead, and they could not do it.
Speaker 2: Sounds of yesterday's demoralizing loss. Giants blow a 9-3 lead in the top of the ninth. Lose 10-9, the Cincinnati Reds. It's dirty work on Thursday. Rick Tittle, Derek Papa. If you're looking for a little 49ers preseason action, I got you covered. It's Adam Copeland and John Dickinson on KSFO right now, live from Tim Webb's apartment. So if you want to listen to that, click over to that. The broadcast will be on there as well. But me and Rick are holding it down until we get to Giants and Diamondbacks. Pre-game at 545, first pitch at 645. And it's good they're playing a game today because yesterday was tough. This whole season's been tough, Rick. But yesterday, I get it. Like some fans are going to say that was the lowest of the lows. It was rock bottom. Worst loss in Giants history. I wouldn't go that far with any of that. My whole thing is, yes, yesterday sucked. And I feel for Giants fans. But they waved the white flag a long time ago. And there's been a lot of low points. I remember when they got swept back to back in series against the Philadelphia Phillies and the Tampa Bay Rays.
Speaker 1: There were other moments where, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, there's been so many. Sometimes I forget. They've blown so many leads. It's just where the bullpen has been just awful. It's been an all-time bad season. And I know that Tony Vitello is trying to build upon something for next season. And that's why yesterday was tough. Yes, you're up against it with the lineup that you put out there. But you want to have some good wins. You want to have baby steps to something bigger for next season. But am I going to act like yesterday was the biggest loss in Giants history?
Speaker 1: Absolutely not.
Speaker 3: Well, you make a great point about how it's not like the NFL where you have to chew on it. And especially if you lose on Thursday Night Football, you've got to chew on it for 10 days. You get to come out today, which helps. But the thing is, yesterday, even the Reds knew that they lost. That's the thing. They know they're not going to score six runs on the top of the ninth, as bad as the Giants are.
Speaker 1: They're not going to give up. They're going to try. But they know they lost. They got one foot on a plane.
Speaker 3: But when you are so bad, and everyone knows you're bad, you got a rookie manager trying his hardest. The umpires, I don't think, respect him very much. I guess you got to earn it. And then you take it to a level that we haven't seen since 1901. So no one alive has ever seen this.
Speaker 1: When you go.
Speaker 3: To a, like, you think you're on the bottom floor and then you go to this basement that you didn't even know was there. That's when it starts to feel sickening.
Speaker 1: You know, before it's like, ah, we suck. Lots of teams suck. The A's suck.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 1: The Rockies suck.
Speaker 4: Whatever.
Speaker 1: You're lame.
Speaker 3: You know, whatever you want to blame it on. But when you do something so preposterous. is that I almost feel like you should give the fans their money back. I mean, it was just, they're not going to do that. They're not going to do that. But I mean, in a way it's sort of like, I remember at the Coliseum when Nick Foles through, I think it was seven touchdowns and then they benched him because they thought we have to let, this is getting out of control.
Speaker 1: Now was it Riley? Who was that racist receiver? Oh, Riley Cooper.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I remember him. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He went to a country concert and he said the wrong word. Um, yeah, on purpose.
Speaker 3: Um, but I remember I came down from the press box and I just stood on the concourse as I grew up in section one 28 row 32. That's where my dad has season tickets all through the seventies. And I just stood there and it was almost like, this is so horrifying. I can't believe what I'm watching.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's theater of the absurd.
Speaker 3: It's whatever you want to call it, but that that's what the giant, and that's why I couldn't stop listening. of the flame story yesterday and listening to John and Dave as they described it. And we know John Miller, if you do stupid base running, he'll say.
Speaker 1: That was the worst base running in the history of baseball. Fantastic.
Speaker 4: Cool. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, uh, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: And look, you know, it doesn't matter as you say, because they wave the white flag, but they took it to a new level of futility that none of us have ever seen in our lives.
Speaker 1: No, I totally get that. I'm not saying it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: I think it matters for Tony Vitale and everybody in that clubhouse right now, because yes, even though they wave the white flag to them, there's still season to be had. There's there's games to be played. So I totally get it from their perspective and Tony should be pissed off. The whole team should be pissed off for what happened yesterday. But like, For us as, you know, sports talk radio hosts to say, like, that was an all-time bad moment, it was. But as far as this season, I've seen a lot of bad moments. And when we reflect on it when the season's over, yeah, you're going to remember that bad loss, but.
Speaker 1: There's been a lot of bad losses this year. This bullpen is terrible. You know who I blame? Who do you blame? Jay Stengler.
Speaker 2: Well, you really can't blame Tony Vitello because he was thrown out in the first inning.
Speaker 3: Jace Tingler was the manager for the worst inning in 125 years of Giants baseball.
Speaker 1: I just thought I'd throw that in.
Speaker 4: That is true.
Speaker 1: He didn't play, but he was the skipper.
Speaker 2: And you also made a good point. I thought that he was thrown out way too quickly. Do you think that umpires are not respecting Tony Vitello?
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's pretty apparent.
Speaker 3: I feel bad for Tony because I think he's just way, way, way too much of a nice guy. He seems too milquetoast to me. Well, did you hear the call when he got thrown out? He wasn't very nice to the umpire. I heard every word, but do you see how he said it? He said it like he was backing up.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: It wasn't like some Gene Mock, Billy Martin type of get-in-your-face type of thing.
Speaker 1: Earl Weaver.
Speaker 3: It was sort of like, I'm going to come to kind of the on-deck circle, and I'm going to say, F you, that was dumb. F you, and now I'm walking backwards. What did you want? You wanted to get in his face? I wanted him to get his money's worth.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And that doesn't mean throw all the bats and balls and pull up third base and pretend it's a grenade.
Speaker 1: And yeah, when's the last time we saw that?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm, I'm just saying if somebody throws you out, you get in their face and you, you, and if you're going to, if you're going to swear and act like a jackass, get your money's worth because a lot of these umpires are just these guys, you know, they make longshoremen blush the kind of language that they hear.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So in, in a weird way, I think you're going to earn your respect by not acting milk toast.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? And just being like, Hey, you, you're really dumb.
Speaker 4: F you.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: Bye.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, it started with him saying, make the right call. And then he was tossed and then he went livid. And I totally understand that kind of livid. Well, From what it sounded like on the flamethrower, yeah, he was a little pissed. But I think that he's toned it down a little bit because the perception of him coming into the bigs is he's this crazy guy from Tennessee, and he goes into the fans or the other stands with the fans, and he's very volatile, and he says what he feels all the time. And I haven't seen that this year. I think he realizes I've got to be more professional. Someone probably got to him and said he can't act that way with the Giants.
Speaker 3: I just think you, and it just, remember you can take the kid out of Richmond. You can't take the Richmond kid.
Speaker 1: I need to talk about yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You gotta, you need someone who's a Mac. You know what I mean? A Mac daddy, just a Mac. You need somebody that, you know, is going to be the man. And I'm not saying he's not a man. I'm not trying to say anything bad about him. I feel bad for him. I think he's a very bright baseball mind.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But you know, you think Bob Melvin would have walked to the on-deck circle and say.
Speaker 1: Screw you, a-hole, and then leave?
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: He would have stayed out there for a little bit of time.
Speaker 3: Oh, he wouldn't have turned his hat around, but he would have gone out there and made sure that spit got on his glasses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's been, I mean, Bob Melvin's been in this game for quite some time, so he has experience. I think that Tony Vitale is getting his feet wet and yeah, he's going to learn how to run a bullpen. He's going to learn a lot of things in this league that honestly, I don't think he's gotten the chance to because this team has been so bad. Like honestly, how much do you blame Tony Vitale for this season?
Speaker 4: None.
Speaker 2: And that's crazy to think about when we went into this season and he comes in as an inexperienced manager and they're 25 games below 500 and it's not his fault.
Speaker 3: I said on these airwaves, when you guys had me on in the spring, I said, who in their right mind would think the Giants would be better this year?
Speaker 1: Who, who, who? That was my owl impression. Who, who, who? It's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because there was no reason. If you just looked at the lineup, forget that they're in a division with the Padres and the Dodgers. And look, the Diamondbacks are trying to get that last wild card. But if you just looked on paper, why would you ever think that they would be better than a 500 team? 500 was the best they could possibly be, and that's what they had been doing for year after year after year.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So why would you think? And they go, well, now we've got a full year of Rafi. We've got this and that. So it was hopeful thinking. But I looked at it, and I'm no genius. We all looked at it, and we were like, you have to be realistic. There's no way they're going to be a winning team with this lineup. I didn't think so.
Speaker 2: I thought that the offense would be better, and they definitely scuffled the first, God, how many months of the season. And then Rafael Devers has turned things around, obviously. People were down on him. People were obviously down on Willie Adamas. But, yeah, it really was the bullpen. And, yes, there were times where Tony Vitello made questionable moves, but that's going to happen with a rookie manager, especially coming from college.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you because— No, you may not.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm not watching close enough because there are guys who step over the line. That's two mound visits. Or like when Boshi said Mattingly stepped on the mound in Miami, that's two mound visits. There are things or like when Kapler and Philly said, give me the right hander.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No one's warming up. So you can have that.
Speaker 3: And there was a thing earlier this year where like, did you raise your right hand to your left hand? It turned out that was a misunderstanding. That wasn't even his fault.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Or when he goes, why would you do that replay? And it's like, it's the eye in the sky. The guys in the booth tell him to.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So has he done one single solitary thing? egregiously wrong as a manager outside of, you know, pitching changes.
Speaker 1: Has he done anything boneheaded? I would say, and Danny, correct me if.
Speaker 2: I'm wrong here, was it Caleb Killian he put out there three days in a row? Was that the, remember when people were talking about that early in the season?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I believe it was Killian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the one thing where I was like, you're sending your reliever out there, your closer out there three days.
Speaker 1: People were questioning that move.
Speaker 3: Well, how many pitches did he throw the two days prior, though?
Speaker 1: It was a questionable move, especially when he was dealing with injuries. That's not boneheaded.
Speaker 2: It's not boneheaded. I wouldn't say anything was boneheaded. I think it's just growing pains. I think it's where you don't have a lot of experience as a manager. You're going to learn these things on the fly. Even though he has a ton of experience on his staff, whether it's Chase Tingler or Ron Washington.
Speaker 1: They fired Bjorn Borg. What's up? Hector Borg. Oh, yeah, Hector Borg. Yeah, exactly. What'd you call him? Bjorn Borg. Bjorn Borg.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But, yeah, people were kind of like, why would Buster announce he's coming back next season?
Speaker 1: Because that was always part of the plan. He started the hip with Buster.
Speaker 2: And honestly, if they're going to fire Tony Vitale, then Buster needs to go too, but that's not happening.
Speaker 3: Well, this is the thing. Like, so just, we already said, you're going to talk Raiders later. So Mark, when Mark Davis took over, he's like, I can't be the guy that fires you after one year.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be known like that. And so he'd have a guy. He's done that quite often. Well, now he has.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I'm sure Buster's like, I'm not going to be the guy that goes out on the limb, makes this great reach for a college guy with no pro experience, never rode the buses, was never in the minors and then just fire him. because I don't want to be that guy and I want to show that I was right. Or do you say, no, it takes a big man to make, to admit he made a mistake, but I'm of the mindset that you could have taken Miller Huggins. I mean, pick one of the great managers of all time, Casey Stengel. You could put him with this team and how many more, if you have the best manager in the history of baseball, what.
Speaker 1: Do they have three or four more wins?
Speaker 3: This is not on Vitello, but I don't think it's a good look that he's kind of milk toast.
Speaker 1: That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: No, I hear you on that, and I think that a lot of Giants fans will say, well, put Bruce Bochy in there, put Dusty Baker in there, and they have a winning record.
Speaker 1: Absolutely not. No, not unless they're going to pitch and hit very well.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Rick Tittle, Derek Papa, we got you until 545 when the Giants take on the Diamondbacks. We're taking your calls, 415-808-5627. Your reaction to yesterday's loss, the Giants blow a 9-3 lead in the top of the ninth. We can talk about that along with your faith in Buster Posey. And who's the most trustworthy GM in all of Bay Area sports right now? Where does Buster Posey fall on that list? Tittle, Papa, Dirty Work on The Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Who, who, who?
Speaker 5: You found Dirty Work with Adam Copeland and Derek Papa. Where no job is too dirty on KNBR, The Sports Leader.
Speaker 2: How's it hangin'? Dirty work on a Thursday. Adam Copeland, he's got pregame duty for the 49ers and Raiders tonight. You catch that broadcast on KSFO. We're holding things down with Rick Tittle today. Take you up until 545 for some Giants D-backs action.
Speaker 1: By the way. Oh, turn that mic on.
Speaker 3: By the way, on the Golden State Lumber and Shroom text line, the 916.
Speaker 1: Hey, that's my job. Agrees with me.
Speaker 3: He says he should have gone ape on the umpires three or four times by now just for respect.
Speaker 1: It was about respect. That's what Tony Vitello is looking for these days.
Speaker 3: Well, you shouldn't have to earn respect that way. But with those dumbass umpires, that's the way you have to do it sometimes.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, it's going to take some time for him. But honestly, you can't blame the loss on him yesterday because he wasn't out there. We're taking your calls.
Speaker 4: 415-808-5627.
Speaker 1: On the giants.
Speaker 2: Debacle yesterday the collapse in the ninth inning let's go to the phone lines but the gt in oakland gt you're on with tittle and pop up.
Speaker 9: Created a review at brother rater fair to lives on uh.
Speaker 4: what that.
Speaker 9: But seventy-five i was there to brother like right after they treated bay yet he was all that we call it the cursor here bobby partner because what he got there That's when you heard the complaint about no one can hit home runs there, where Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Cepeda, even Jim Ray Hart hit 30 home runs there. So thank you for bringing up the 70s Giants. And this team is probably just as bad.
Speaker 1: Might be even worse. Who was your favorite guy? Was it Mike Ivey, Chris Spire, the Count? Who was it?
Speaker 9: I couldn't stand any of those guys.
Speaker 1: Thank you for the call, Jeff. Yeah, I mean, you know who I liked? I liked the Sheik, Mike Sadek.
Speaker 6: Oh, yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, good guy.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean, this might be an all-time giant season as far as losses. I was talking to our guy, John Curlin. He was like, I just don't want them to lose 11 games this year.
Speaker 1: Or, sorry, 11 games. We're way past that.
Speaker 2: 100 games this season. And I hear some people be like, whatever. At this point, who cares? 100 losses, it is what it is. That is an all-time bad season, and one that you will remember.
Speaker 3: It's mostly for the fans. It's not like, I mean, when you go through and you go like, oh yeah, the Tigers lost 112. Like every team has those embarrassing seasons.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: But it's mostly just for their own fan base to suffer with.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I get what Curly's saying is a lifelong San Franciscan.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, I get that. Like there's a point of pride.
Speaker 2: And I think Tony Vitello wants to build it up right now. You hear him the last few weeks, they lost a game. I think it was against the Rockies on a Sunday where he was like, it looked like we were a junior college team out there. Hmm.
Speaker 1: And he said, I was a Juco guy.
Speaker 4: So I know.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, but you case. Okay. So you don't like that though. No, that's fine.
Speaker 3: But you, I like Tony. You want a little more red ass. No, I like Tony Vitale. I just think if you're going to get thrown out, don't go. You know how, like in an NBA team fight, there's like a guy who's six, eight being held back.
Speaker 1: Hold me back, man. Hold me back by a five foot eight. Brill creamed ref.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 3: Like if this guy, you know, if Billy Barty wasn't holding me right now, I'd be whooping y'all behind. You know, just go out there and actually, it's like you lose your game check when you get thrown out.
Speaker 1: Go out there and rip that guy.
Speaker 3: If you think he was wrong and he's getting it wrong, and I understand, and for people who don't know, sorry if I'm patronizing you, darling, but you can't complain about balls and strikes.
Speaker 1: You can be thrown out immediately.
Speaker 3: And it's almost like Aaron Boone.
Speaker 1: That wasn't even me! That was the fan behind me!
Speaker 3: You know, he's always getting thrown out. That was one of my favorites. But, you know, it's it's just like, come on, get it right. And so what a good empire would do is you give a glare, you give a glare and then they say, stop chirping.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Tony, Tony, I'm going to run you. I'm going to run you. Shut up. Shut up.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: You don't just. He's not getting that his first year.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: It's just like, what'd you say? Get it right. Bye-bye.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Have a nice shower. No. I hear you.
Speaker 2: I think that maybe he needs to show a little more emotion, but then again, it's tough where he's known from that, from the college ranks.
Speaker 1: Let's go back. Let's go back out to the phone lines. 415-808-5627.
Speaker 2: If you want to get in the conversation, let's go to Todd in Fresno. Let's talk about the Giants bullpen. Todd, you're on with Rick Tittle and Derek Papa.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm coach pitching and a guy in the bullpen coaching at the JUCO level. I can tell you, if we played like.
Speaker 3: Some of the Giants games, we probably would have different guys playing the next day.
Speaker 4: The next day we'd be practicing until dark. So it's a little bit different, I know, in the bigs. But the bullpen, I look at these guys, they all throw hard. These guys, I mean, they're all 96, 97, but it just looks like they're the same guy that goes out there. Every guy looks the same. Nobody pitches to a strength. There's no differential.
Speaker 6: I mean, with Tyler Rodgers, at least you had somebody that was a little bit different than.
Speaker 4: The other guys. Right. And there's just no change.
Speaker 6: And for people to say, well, hitting's harder today because you face a different guy, well, it's not harder when.
Speaker 1: You face their bullpens.
Speaker 4: No, exactly.
Speaker 3: And you know, in a lot of ways, people say it could be easier because people throw so hard right now. You're not even dealing with more breaking stuff.
Speaker 4: No, exactly.
Speaker 2: And we appreciate the call, Todd. I mean, the bottom line is like we talked about it for months now. The bullpen is awful. It's been that way for quite some time. And going into the season, we questioned the bullpen. And, you know, just going back to Buster Posey going on with Murph and Marcus saying like, well, what do you want me to go do? Go get Edwin Diaz. And no, I don't have any restrictions on who I can offer money to in the offseason. They neglected the bullpen, and they wanted to do that because they were banking on Randy Rodriguez to come back next season. They didn't care about the bullpen. They didn't care about the pitchers. They wanted the offense to score runs, and they were slow out the gate. So this is where they're at right now.
Speaker 3: By the way, as a personal aside here, you did ask me on, so I'm going to give you some.
Speaker 7: Ready?
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 3: When that guy said practice in the dark, it gave me chills because when I was playing football in college, my position coach, I was a DB.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He's like, all right, we're going to practice in the dark. And we're like, we don't have any lights on. If we're just practicing in the dark. Not bad. But it's standard time, right? So it gets dark at 5.
Speaker 3: He drove his Jeep, and he was one of those jackasses that had, like, floodlights on the roll bar.
Speaker 1: You know, I drove a Jeep. Did you have? A Jeep Wrangler. Did you have floodlights on the roll bar?
Speaker 4: No, I didn't.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to make you feel weird for a moment. Okay, thanks.
Speaker 3: And my brother drove one, too. What a horrible car that thing was.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Just bumpy as hell.
Speaker 3: But anyway, he drove out onto the practice field, turned on the lights, and we did practice in the dark.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not nice.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 3: No, but anyway, it gave me a chill. But back to the show. Let me know when we come back from the break. I won't tell stories anymore.
Speaker 1: Going back onto the phone lines. But I know what he's saying. Oh, there's more?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, just the whole thing about, you know, junior college. There are so many great junior college. I mean, look at in the back. I mean, Bryce Harper went to junior college in Vegas.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Bob Melvin, when he was at Cal after his freshman year, he's like, well, I got to wait two more years to get drafted, but I want to get drafted now. And they go, well, you can go to La Canyada. And then get drafted in a year. He goes, okay, and I'll do that. There's some great Juco players.
Speaker 1: Real quick, you.
Speaker 2: Brought up Bob Melvin a few times, and you know him going back to the A's days. Do you think they should have stuck with him? The way I think you're kind of alluding to it is you think that maybe they should have stuck with him for another season, no?
Speaker 3: Well, I love Bob, but he wouldn't have done, like I said, he'd probably have three or four more wins.
Speaker 1: It's draws.
Speaker 3: There's double-digit guys that have made their debuts, They got a guy who I thought was the Nebraska quarterback throwing a ball to who Irving fryer, who dropped it in the national championship, Turner Gill. No, it's Turner Hill. Like, you know, you got a, you got a hunter mints. You got a guy named, you got a guy named message.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's almost like this. It's if they had better names, it'd be a better team. That's that's right. It's a parallel universe of bizarro names. And that's what we.
Speaker 1: Have right now. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 2: We'll be joined by Sam Gordon of the Las Vegas Review-Journal. Talk a little Raiders with him. But let's finish up these phone calls. Let's go out to Jeff in L.A. He thinks it's not Vitello's fault. Jeff, you're on with Rick Tittle and Derek Papa.
Speaker 4: Hey, guys.
Speaker 6: Derek, first and foremost, my best, best wishes to your dad.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that, man. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, more than anything else.
Speaker 6: I'm another 70s guy, so you got the gray hairs today, guys.
Speaker 8: Nice.
Speaker 6: And really, yeah, and I'm thinking, I've been thinking it's like, Who are the greatest managers I've seen in my 50-plus years of watching baseball? Guys that really made a difference. And, you know, you go back to the Earl Weavers, Miss Sparky Anderson, Billy Martin, certainly. Then, of course, for us, Bruce Bochy and, you know, and Dusty Baker. None of these guys could win with this team. Maybe three, four wins, maybe, you know, honestly. So I don't put this at Tony. It starts to me at the very, very top. It starts with management picking a head of baseball operations who had no experience. And then that guy goes and he hires a manager that had no professional experience. I don't think you need to connect the dots here. I don't think it's that complicated guys. I don't know why they would not have just gone to one of the great franchises like Milwaukee or like Tampa or Cleveland and get the number two guy at one of those places and, and pick them. I don't, I really don't understand it. And then guys, last thing, you know, if I were a reporter and, I would be asking Buster, if I could get one question, I would say, Buster, you ran three world championship pitching staffs from starter, from number one, all the way through the bullpen and all the way to the closer. And then you went and did what you did in this offseason or didn't do what you didn't do in the offseason. How could you possibly have thought that this would have been a solution? I'd love to know what his answer is.
Speaker 2: No, I appreciate the call, Jeff. And the answer is he was restricted on what he could do this offseason. He could say all he wants that he wasn't, but he was. That's my belief. Well, also, at the beginning of the year, you look at the bright spots. And Logan Webb, Robbie Way is a pretty good one, too.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: And you kind of think, all right, that's the hard thing. We got our two guys. And Landon Roop started hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And how do we fill that out now?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And, you know, the closer situation wasn't rectified. But, you know, as you say, like you want to go out and get Edwin Diaz. If you just want to go for the name. Now, sometimes you remember Sabian's lunatic fringe thing about getting Vlad Sr.
Speaker 4: In here.
Speaker 3: Sometimes there is a guy right in front of you you think will make it, but you get to a certain point in the season where you have guys like Buddy Kennedy making stupid throws like he did yesterday. I mean, it's just like, well, who the hell's Buddy Kennedy? And then you look up his baseball card and.
Speaker 1: You're like, oh. And look, he's in the big leagues and we're not. Congratulations. And he's not trying to mess up. He's trying to do it.
Speaker 4: Of course, of course.
Speaker 3: But this is, and this is why the talent In American sports, we have over 30 in baseball. Most leagues have more, 32. The talent is so watered down now.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I was looking at the Brewers who are last in home runs, but they're 50 games over 500 because they pitch so well.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And they're third in batting in all of baseball with a 254 average.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like back when baseball was our only sport and you had like 12 teams. Now that was segregation going on too. You got to put that in, but all the best athletes play baseball. And as I forgot what year it was, but as a league, I think the AL hit 300 as a league. Now that sounds like a pioneer league stats now where no one can pitch. But it is amazing now how much we just, I remember a name drop. I talked to Steve Garvey and he said, if he hit a home run and struck out the other three times, he would be humiliated to go back into the clubhouse and face his teammates. And now that's a great game. Hey, man, you hit a home run. Who cares about the three Ks?
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's just the way the game is right now. One last call. Let's go out to Coach Rick in Morgan Hill. Coach Rick, you're on with Rick Tittle and Derek Papa.
Speaker 5: Hey, guys.
Speaker 4: Appreciate you taking the call. And again, all the best to your dad, man. We're there with him. We're supportive.
Speaker 1: Appreciate that, Rich. Thank you.
Speaker 9: I wasn't aware that you lose your game check when you get tossed.
Speaker 4: Does it go to charity?
Speaker 9: Do you guys know where it goes?
Speaker 1: I don't know that, Rick. I didn't understand him. Thank you for the call, Rich. He was asking when you get tossed, you don't get a game check. That's the way it's supposed to work, yeah.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Did not know that either.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, that's unfortunate. You don't get paid, so don't get thrown out.
Speaker 2: And the Giants are 0-4 when Tony Vitello is thrown out this season. So has it gone in their favor?
Speaker 1: How much is a game check for Vitello? Do we know? I'm not sure about that one. Okay, we'll get our staff on that. Danny, look that up for us. A loader. Oh, he's long gone.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, yeah. Come on.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay. Come on, yeah. He's listening. He's listening. 2.50 in the afternoon. He's long gone, man.
Speaker 7: Text us.
Speaker 2: He's preparing for Stanford Pre. Listen to my riveting interview with Andrew Luck. You can find that on thesportsleader.com or thesportsleader app.
Speaker 1: Can I just throw this in, too?
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 1: Just for fun. Throw everything in.
Speaker 3: Because it was cool to see Lund. And we know the circumstances of him coming in were not what we all wanted.
Speaker 8: Of course.
Speaker 1: Of course.
Speaker 3: And I remember he and I, before Super Bowl 50, we hosted a Wounded Warriors event. I remember that. Didn't Snoop Dogg appear at that? Snoop Dogg was supposed to appear longer. Left at halftime.
Speaker 1: No, he left after 10 minutes.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay.
Speaker 3: And he took a check. So that was not very cool. Come on, Snoopaloop. No, he needed gin and juice. I don't know. Throw in a joke. But anyway, my my point is and he didn't ask me to say this obviously i've never seen a guy do more prep for a show oh johnny one i remember over at the fm station it would be hours and hours and hours and hours after his show and he would be there i go what do you because i was doing a night show what are you doing here yeah getting ready for tomorrow So I'll just throw that out, that I have a lot of respect for the guy, not just as a good host. And as he said, this isn't how we wanted to get him back.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 4: Obviously.
Speaker 1: But no one puts more effort into a show than that guy. Oh, absolutely. Jean-Len's the best. You know who else is the best? You. Sam Gordon.
Speaker 2: Sam Gordon from the Las Vegas Review-Journal. He'll join us next, talking some Raiders and some 49ers. You can find that broadcast at KSFO. It's Rick Tittle, Derek Papa, on the Esports Leader.
Speaker 4: One day.
Speaker 2: One day, some of the kids from the neighborhood carried my mother's groceries all the way home.
Speaker 8: You know why?
Speaker 1: It was out of respect.
Speaker 5: Now, back to dirty work. Adam Copeland and Derek Papa in the KNBR Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpot Studios. Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots are here.
Speaker 1: Where are you?
Speaker 5: Just drop in.
Speaker 1: Please play responsibly.
Speaker 5: Call 1-800-GAMBLER.
Speaker 2: We got the Raiders and the 49ers squaring off tonight. You can catch that broadcast on KSFO. And to get the Raider perspective, let's join an old friend, or let's talk to an old friend, Sam Gordon. He used to cover the Warriors for the Chronicle. Now he covers the Raiders for the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
Speaker 1: Sam, what's going on? You're on with Rick Tittle and Derek Papa. How are you doing?
Speaker 4: What's up, fellas? Doing well. Happy Thursday.
Speaker 8: Looking forward to the Battle of the Bay tonight at Elysian Stadium.
Speaker 4: So excited to be out there. And always great to be on the airwaves with KBR.
Speaker 2: Does it still feel like the Battle of the Bay to you, though, Sam, now that the Raiders are in Las Vegas?
Speaker 8: Not quite, you know, not quite, but I will tell you my time in the Bay, obviously, I covered the Raiders a little bit. I wasn't, you know, the front-facing beat writer before I got out to San Francisco to cover the Warriors for the Chronicle. But I spent, you know, a little bit of time covering the team, and I was on the periphery of our coverage here at the RJ. I think having gone to the Bay and being there for a while and getting an understanding of what what the Bay, what Oakland doesn't have anymore now that the Raiders are here gives me, I think, a little bit of perspective that, hey, maybe it's not what it necessarily used to be, but there still is, I think, a little bit of significance between this matchup. And I think that significance is really going to be highlighted. I mean, we'll see if it comes to pass, right? But that second Sunday in November at Levi's Stadium, the Raiders' first time up there for a regular season game since they've left.
Speaker 4: To Las Vegas.
Speaker 8: I believe it'll be the first time playing in San Francisco since 2018. So that, I think, Uh, we'll feel a little bit more like the battle of the Bay. Um, but not, not quite what it used to be. There's no question about that.
Speaker 2: No, there'll be a big moment when the Raiders come back to the Bay area. But, uh, we also, what happened this past weekend, Sam, uh, walk me through what happened. So Ashton Gentry collides with a player on the Raiders indoor practice facility. Gentry can't put any weight on that leg. gets helped off the field, and then the Raiders have a prayer circle. Turns out it's just an ankle sprain. How bad was the vibe in practice on Sunday, and does it sound like he'll be back sooner than later?
Speaker 8: Oh, man, it was, I mean, the reaction to Ashton Gentry going down, yeah, it suggested that this was something more severe than what it ultimately was, a right ankle sprain of some degree.
Speaker 4: So it was tough to see.
Speaker 8: We didn't have the greatest vantage point. We're behind that back end zone line on the baseline, so to speak, of the practice facility.
Speaker 4: And the play was going away.
Speaker 8: From where we were And you just kind of see gently out in the flats and daring, you know, the quarterback, Darian.
Speaker 4: Porter out that way. And yeah, he was down.
Speaker 8: There was music playing, got quiet. And lo and behold, the team is silent, you know, joined in prayer and, and, and he needed some help to get off the field. And the vibe was not good. I mean, the vibe wasn't.
Speaker 4: Good at all.
Speaker 8: They were, I think just again, seeing, gauging the reaction from the players and, a lot of whom saw that thing up close, certainly from a better vantage point than we saw it. If you, when you're reacting like that, it suggests a serious, but all things considered, you know, just a right ankle sprain of some degree. I still don't think there's a necessarily a firm timetable on a return. I don't think a returning week one has been ruled all the way out, but all things considered given what it looked like and what it felt like, you would have to say that the Raiders, you know, we, we asked Clint Kubiak about it the other day, like where the, where the prayers answered and, And he said, you know, God works on his timing more or less and his timing for Ashton Gentry figures to be early in the season. Nothing, nothing that is, you know, super concerning.
Speaker 4: At this point.
Speaker 8: And certainly nothing that is as bad as it looked to be gauging the reaction because it was definitely applied in there. Definitely morose for that part of practice and onward.
Speaker 1: Sam, Rick Tittle here.
Speaker 3: And obviously the Raiders offensive line was horrendous last year. And then you had Gino with no time. It was the recipe to be the worst team in football. And so Miller is healthy. We like JPJ. They went out and they spent all the money on Linderbaum, highest paid center. Spencer Burford probably at left guard. But I want to ask you about right tackle because I think a lot of Raider fans thought when they drafted Trey Zune that he would come in and start over Del Mar glaze.
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: And usually you say, well, who cares about right tackle? Well, there's a defensive end on that side too. So what's going on at right tackle.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's been DJ glaze the whole preseason.
Speaker 8: I mean, I don't think, I don't think there's been a single snap that he hasn't taken with the ones we know about his struggles last year, the penalties he's beaten for sacks and whatnot. He did not have a great year, but he is going to get the first crack at it. The coaching staff is, as there's been a little bit of rotation at right guard with, uh, With Jackson Powers Johnson and Caleb Rogers, I think still very much in competition for that spot. Although if you were to aggregate all the reps from starting training camp onward to today, Jackson Powers Johnson has taken, you know, more, certainly more reps than Caleb Rogers. But it's been DJ Glaze at that right tackle spot every single day running with that first group. I know a point major point of emphasis for him. This off season was conditioning and, and, and, and just getting his body together and, and, and working on his hands. He, you know, he shared with us that boxing was a focal point for him this off season, because you know, learning how to use your hands a little better and working with those. So he's going to get his first crack at it. I think that being said, I think the third round pick last year, Charles Grant has had a nice preseason, you know, repping at that, that swing tackle spot. He's had some big blocks. on the left side that opened up Mike Washington for some long runs and has just shown growth and development from year one where he was a pretty raw rookie taken out of a lower-level school and developing in this training camp under this coaching staff. So if there's somebody that's going to put pressure on DJ Glaze, that's, that's who it's going to be. But right now it's been, it's been DJ glaze running with that first team. Trey Zune has been repping across the offensive line, but snapping the ball lately with that, with that second team. And still don't think they're necessarily decided on a position yet. So ultimately the trajectory of the season in so many ways, including when Fernando Mendoza is, or isn't going to play is defined a lot by that offensive line. They don't, they don't want to put him out there in a situation where he's going to get, you know, where he's going to get smoked back there. And I think he's taking a little bit of punishment playing between that second, you know, playing behind that second team offensive line here in the preseason, they want to make sure that thing is in sync, at least that, you know, the best of its ability, I would imagine before he's out there, it's going to be better than last year. Like you mentioned, because of Colton Miller on that left side, being healthy because of Tyler Linder bomb, but I think still the ways to go before this thing coalesces and before they know exactly what they have up front on the offensive side.
Speaker 4: Of the ball.
Speaker 1: Talking to Sam Gordon on the UMA guest line.
Speaker 2: That was going to be my next question, Sam, is, you know, a lot's been made of Fernando Mendoza, obviously, with the first overall pick. Glenn Kubiak has said he's not ready to name a starting QB just yet. He did say when training camp started that Kirk Cousins will be the starter for now. And that's, you know, everything that he said has been, well, we want this guy to grow. We want Kirk Cousins to be in there for the first couple of weeks. Mendoza has looked good at times and bad at times during the pick six against the Houston Texans. Would you expect them to stick to the plan at this point where it's going to be Cousins for the first couple of weeks and then we could see Mendoza later on?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I don't think there's been anything that's changed.
Speaker 4: I don't think the calculus has changed at this point.
Speaker 8: After the preseason opener, Kirk Cousins and that first-team offense go right down the field.
Speaker 4: Against the Arizona Cardinals.
Speaker 8: Clint Rubio came out and said it's Kirk Cousins' job to lose, and that has... I don't think there's anything that's ha that's happened in practice that has caused Kirk cousins to lose the job.
Speaker 4: I think to your point, we've seen the, you see.
Speaker 8: There's been various throws, various junctures in the preseason where you see the number one overall pick package that Fernando Mendoza offers the size, the arm strength, the anticipation willing to take a hit, you know, the, the, the poise, I think after, after the mistakes he's made in the preseason or when the drives haven't been solid, you've seen him settle and develop a rhythm.
Speaker 4: So I think all the, there are all kinds of.
Speaker 8: Encouraging signs about the way he's developed, but at the same time, right.
Speaker 4: Just like there's been.
Speaker 8: In the games and practices, you'll see him be laid over the middle. There'll be an intersection here or there. There's just not quite the smoothness and the, you know, the, the experience that, that Kirk Cousins brings to the position at this point, Kirk Cousins, I think no question about it has been the better quarterback during training camp at practices. He, he had an efficient drive during the preseason and that though the staff definitely likes out for Nando Mendoza has been developing the, the, the, the camaraderie he's developed with his teammates, the way he's gaining a command.
Speaker 4: Of of the huddle.
Speaker 8: They don't want to put him in a position to be unsuccessful. This isn't about the first week one or, you know, first three or four or five or six weeks or first eight or nine weeks for that matter of, of, of his first season. Like if they get this thing, right, they set this thing up, right. It's about 10 to 15 years of quarterbacking that the Las Vegas Raiders haven't certainly haven't had during.
Speaker 4: Their time here in Vegas. And that the Raiders and the.
Speaker 8: Franchise hasn't, you know, haven't had probably since Rich Gannon. That's the hope, right? Is that Fernando Mendoza can provide that. for 10, you know, the next decade, 10 to 15 years for that franchise. So they're not going to rush anything. They're going to make sure he's ready to go. And as long as Kirk cousins is effective, which he has been during training camp, I don't, I don't see any reason to deviate from the plan. Now, of course the variable is right. Kirk cousins is 38. He's three years removed from an Achilles injury. And he's at the stage of his career where it can go at any time for a veteran quarterback, where there can be a major job off. And I performed very well down the stretch for.
Speaker 4: The Atlanta Falcons.
Speaker 8: I think that's part of the reason he got that payday with the Raiders and put himself in position to be a starting quarterback again at age 38. But you have to consider the, the, the injury risk and all the different variables, you know.
Speaker 4: The offensive line still has to protect him too. Right.
Speaker 8: You like the way he's able to get the ball out and all those different things and the experience that he has. But again, Of course, that, that variable is always in place for any player, but certainly one at this stage of their career. So yeah, don't expect them to deviate from the plan. Cousins has had a strong training camp. Mendoza's had his ups and downs, but they liked his trajectory. And I think it's, I think a positive trajectory and no reason to rush him out on the field until this thing is ready to go until they feel like this thing's coalesced around him and that he has an opportunity to be successful and to develop in games the way they want them to.
Speaker 3: Sam, I wanted to ask you about Clint Kubiak. And of course, this is his rookie year as a head coach in this league. But I mean, I went to so many press conferences and you just these false dawns, whether it was Joe Bugle or Norv Turner or Lane Kiffin and Tom Cable, Dennis Allen. I mean, the list goes on and on the McDaniels Pierce. And the trend is you will fail. So why is he the guy unless you don't think so? But why is he the guy that's going to break this trend? of guys who could not get it done for the silver and black.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: It feels like he's in the guy in part because for the first time in a long time, there seems to be organizational continuity. There's no quick fix. They're not trying to rush this. They're not trying to infuse, you know, short-term.
Speaker 4: Talent and, and, and and pass their way into the playoffs.
Speaker 8: Like I think there was an understanding with the way the season went last year and where things are at this year, that it's finally time to embrace a tried and true rebuild. I don't think there's pressure on pink. Who we have to come out there and go 10 and seven this year and fight for the playoffs and make the playoffs. This is a rebuilding roster with a lot of young players with a rookie quarterback that, that, with, with that, you know, playing behind a retooled offensive line.
Speaker 4: That was the worst in the NFL last year.
Speaker 8: That has a lot of work to do on the defensive side of the ball that, you know, you have a coach coming in, establishing a, a culture like there there's alignment there with, with the way this thing needs to go. And then, you know, you talk about just the pedigree he's coming off of a super bowl with, with the, with the Seattle Seahawks as the offensive coordinator, where he pretty much called the perfect playoffs. I mean, you got the absolute, you dial up a game and a game plan where Sam Darnold outplays the NFL MVP where the running game's not there.
Speaker 4: And you get the, you know, the apex Sam Darnold.
Speaker 8: And then in the Superbowl manages that thing perfectly gets their own game going, plays behind a great defense. And then just say, you know, a great understanding of, of what is required to win that game.
Speaker 4: So yeah, they've had obviously coaches.
Speaker 8: You don't become a head coach in the NFL without some level of pedigree, but he's all ball all the time. I mean, he's not there to win any press conferences.
Speaker 4: He's not there to, to, to have a great soundbite.
Speaker 8: He's there to put a culture in place with the backing of John Spitek and ownership to take his time and, building.
Speaker 4: This thing the right way.
Speaker 8: And right now they're, they're in a position where it's about developing young players, getting as much talent as possible, but building something for the long haul and not putting pressure on him to succeed or to win or unrealistic expectations about where they are roster wise in a loaded AFC. They're embracing the rebuild. They feel like he's the guy to do it. And so far, you know, the early returns is one training camp. We But the tenants of his falter, I think, are being established, and he's got buy-in from the top down. So that's all you can do at this point through the preseason. You've got to go out there and obviously do that on the grass in the fall and continue to build. But I think there's a lot of optimism in that building about what he has the opportunity to build, and it helps having a number one overall pick of quarterback where there's alignment in place, allowing him to take his time to develop to build this thing for the long haul. That's the position he's in, and that's why I think there's a better chance for him to succeed than the previous head coaches.
Speaker 2: A couple more minutes with Sam Gordon on the UMA guest line. We're not going to see Kirk Cousins tonight. We're not going to see Fernando Mendoza. Pretty impressive performance by Aiden O'Connell in the second half last week against the Texans. Would it be fair to say that at this point the Raiders most likely won't keep three quarterbacks and tonight is a showcase game for Aiden O'Connell?
Speaker 8: I think it's still very much on the table that they keep three quarterbacks. I don't know if that decision has been made yet. That being said, I think if there's a trade that they like, there's teams that could use a backup quarterback for sure. And Aiden O'Connell has proven to be very capable of that. He's got 17 games of starter experience. He was smooth the other night. Like you mentioned, he's been through a lot of ups and downs in his career, being a part of this franchise the last few years in the state, even keel and put himself in the, you know.
Speaker 4: The best, best positions possible.
Speaker 8: I think it all goes according to plan, right?
Speaker 4: For all the parties involved.
Speaker 8: This is a one year deal for Kirk cousins, Fernando Mendoza's the starter going into 2027, like he's going to need a backup and maybe you keep a no panel with the, the idea of him being the long-term backup here.
Speaker 4: In Las Vegas.
Speaker 8: I don't think you can rule that out entirely. I think there's still a number of ways this thing can go now, but, but they're not, they're not just going to give them away. They're going to, I think you need to find fair value, whatever they find to be fair. I don't, I don't exactly know what that is. I don't know about the fifth, sixth round pick fourth round pick. I don't know what you could necessarily get from at this juncture in time, but I do know that he's a solid, solid, steady, reliable backup quarterback that has had a quality camp that wants to be a starter in the NFL at some point.
Speaker 4: So maybe, you know, in his mind there, it doesn't make sense to, you.
Speaker 8: Know, to sign or be the long-term backup here in Las Vegas. Maybe there is an opportunity out there where he can play his way into a starting position somewhere else. But I think it's still a showcase game for him tonight or not. Like there's still short of a fair offer. I think there's still a chance that the Raiders, you know, keep three quarterbacks going into the season. You can always potentially move him. In the middle of the season, if Fernando Mendoza is out there earlier and Kirk Cousins is the backup and they feel good about that situation, not necessarily something they have to figure out in terms of his future right now. But yeah, if the pick is right, if there's the right value, I'd say more likely than not that they keep two quarterbacks, but they're not going to give them away.
Speaker 4: So that lends itself to the possibility of there being three.
Speaker 2: And last one for you, Sam, just real quick. You covered the Warriors back in the day. You also covered the Minnesota Timberwolves. How do you envision John the Kaminga fitting in with the Minnesota Timberwolves?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a great question.
Speaker 8: I think he's a great fit, a great fit for what they.
Speaker 4: Want to do.
Speaker 8: It's a totally different brand of basketball and stylistic archetype. And he fits in with, you know, they're a downhill team with length and that defensive culture with Rudy Gobert back there and Jade McDaniels and a lot of athletes and a lot of wings. And he is going to get a real runway at the four spot with a team that wants him. I mean, you see in the reports that Anthony Edwards was heavily involved in his recruitment. He's been down there playing pickup basketball with J McDaniels and Chris Finch and Tim Conley got a look up close at what Jonathan Kaminga did in the Western conference semifinals, you know, going on a year and a half ago now pulled off the bench, not playing in the Houston series and score getting buckets efficiently against the top level defense.
Speaker 4: Like they clearly liked what they saw.
Speaker 8: I think he's going to be in a position where he's going to have a real guaranteed role for the first time in his career. And he wants to be a part of a winning environment. He left money on the table to go to LA. He left the city of Los Angeles on the table to go to Minneapolis, which that's probably a first in, in, in terrible of history and, and the opportunities there for him, the fits there for him.
Speaker 4: I think he's going to be able to play to his strengths.
Speaker 8: Get up and down in transition with a mellow ball leading with, with, with pace. He's going to be in a position where he's going to be able to defend with versatility. And he's going to have a backstop or a seven, two backstopper. That's still one of the best room protectors in the league. So I think it's a great fit. The wolves needed somebody to, you know, to, to man, the four spot he's going to, He fits their identity.
Speaker 4: He fits what they want to do stylistically.
Speaker 8: And it's an opportunity for him to maximize a real 30 minute a game role that he's never had in his career, potentially turn that into a payday in Minnesota and somewhere else.
Speaker 4: And, you know, he signed the deal. The Wolves are giving him the opportunity. Now it's on him to do the rest.
Speaker 8: And put those tools that we saw flash throughout his tenure at the Bay to maximize those tools in a situation where there's championship expectations in Minnesota, where they feel like they can compete for the title.
Speaker 4: They want him to be a part of the calculus. I'm excited to see it.
Speaker 8: I think Tim rules with the changes they made, the stylistic brand of basketball with a mellow ball at the helm and Anthony Edwards next to him are going to be, you know, box office next year. And one of the, one of the top teams in the NBA and uh, it's a great opportunity for him, but it definitely is on him to show what he hasn't showed yet in his NBA career.
Speaker 4: And that's consistency, uh, for.
Speaker 8: An 82 game season, doing things, doing things that, uh, that drive winning.
Speaker 2: That's our old friend, Sam Gordon catches work on the Raiders in the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
Speaker 1: Sam, thanks for catching up, man.
Speaker 4: Anytime, fellas. Appreciate you guys.
Speaker 8: Enjoy the game tonight and definitely can't wait to catch up the second weekend in November. I've had that trip circled since I got back to Vegas. It's going to be a great one and looking forward to seeing you guys in person.
Speaker 1: Looking forward to it, Sam. Thanks as always, man.
Speaker 2: You catch that interview that just happened on theesportsleader.com or theesportsleader app.
Speaker 3: Always good talking to Sam. There was one thing, though, I'll say, though, and I understand. And by the way, he's a great guest because he can talk.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: And, you know, people who do this for a living, we like people who can talk and have good content like that.
Speaker 1: I like to stay silent sometimes.
Speaker 3: This whole thing about having a good front office structure. Well, Tom Brady hiring his friend from Michigan, Spy Tech.
Speaker 1: You keep saying that you don't like this guy, huh?
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, what are the results? The worst team in football. the worst team in football. Now they've done so many smart things. They signed Linderbaum like the draft so far, but I'm just saying, I've seen these false Dawns, you know, and it's hard sometimes with my fellow Raider fans, because they're so myopic. They always think that the Raiders are going to win the super bowl every year. And that's why after the draft, I remember I caught so much heat because I said, why would they drive Damon Arnett, a guy who hates football?
Speaker 1: And they're like, Oh, he's great. When they were going to, he loves guns.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Um, there was TJ watt and Jabril peppers on the board. And I was like, please, please, T.J.
Speaker 4: Watt.
Speaker 1: No, Garyon Conley, who was accused of gang rape.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was.
Speaker 3: So it's just I'm not saying any of those things will happen again, but I'm just saying I'm so pessimistic. And I saw them. I went to a Super Bowl that they've won. So I've seen the glory days. I'm glad I've been to the mountaintop. And I appreciate Raider fans who've never seen them do jack. I really respect them. But this whole thing about, oh, look at all these clean-cut dudes. You are the worst team in football, Holmes. You got Carroll and you got Geno Smith and you thought that would work.
Speaker 1: So, I like Mendoza. I like Kirk Cousins. I'm just saying, we all like it right now. But to say, oh, now they've got a good structure. No, you don't.
Speaker 3: Your structure was the worst team in football last year. So, you don't have a good structure yet.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll ask you more about this with the expectations with the Raiders and and the 49ers later on in the show. But when Rick's doing the show with us, we got to have some fun. And no Adam Copeland today. He's doing the show from Tim Webb's apartment. You know, Tim's got a turtle that he's been caring for for about 20 years now.
Speaker 1: He calls him Oatmeal. He's part of the broadcast. I thought you were just kidding. They really are in his apartment? Oh, no, I'm not even kidding. They're literally at Tim's apartment doing the show.
Speaker 3: I know that you guys got me today. How bottom of the barrel is KMBR right now?
Speaker 1: Oh, well, come on. Just look around here, dude.
Speaker 2: But yeah, they're doing the show live from Tim's apartment, so they're doing the broadcast there. But Tim had to come back here because he left something behind. It was this potato sack looking thing. And on the side, it's got this initials. Maybe it's initialism.
Speaker 1: It's the NBA grab bag. NBA grab bag.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 1: We're doing it twice in one
Speaker 2: Week with Rick Tittle, Derek Papa, Dirty Work on the Esports Leader.