Speaker 1: Giants fans, this is your hubbed to have your voice hers sports.
Speaker 2: Phone KNBR streaming live on YouTube at KNBR one O four to five, All right back on KVRS. The Giants win the second game of a three game series, one and nothing. They shut out the Guardians one run, seven hits, one era for the Giants, no run, six hits and no airs for the Cleveland Guardians. The wind goes to Adrian Hauser. He's four and seven. He went five innings and Dylan Smith gets his third save of the year, agoing two innings, punching out five. Great pitching performance by the San Francisco Giants. Joining me now you can read his great work at sf Gate. Let's welcome and Dave tobn Er Dave, how worry tonight?
Speaker 1: Ill doing? Good? Bill, Nice crisp, well played game. You haven't got a lot of those this year, So that was that was a nice change of pace.
Speaker 2: Well, the tugboat era is here. They had a great, you know, kind of a reception. They really didn't announce anything yesterday, and of course this morning they announced that he was coming up and getting the start today. You and I were texting each other pretty much throughout the game. Matt Wilkinson, twenty three year old left hander. When you start looking at when he got drafted and how he signed with the Cleveland Guardians, and here he gets his major league bad baseball debut against the team that he really thought was going to get him to the big leagues. What did you think an overall picture on him today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty cool story. You know, there's not a lot of guys that number one look like him in the big leagues anymore. And there's not a lot of pictures that throw like him, you know, and he doesn't overpower guys. He's a bigger guy, but you know, he sits at eighty nine ninety one miles an hour on his fastball. So you know, I thought he did well considering you know, I'm sure he was nervous. He got behind a lot of the hitters that he faced, but he managed to work out of it. And yeah, I kind of I would like to have seen him go one more inning, maybe get one turn around the lineup and see what he could do. But I understand, you know, what they were, what they had set up for him, and you know, maybe they see him as more of a long man in the future or a fifth starter and just wanted to get his feet wet. And I found even great. I mean, what more could you ask for from him?
Speaker 2: Well, Dave, I liked how he got the ball inside. A couple of those pop ups, one a Kavanaugh one that costs he jammed him, and he jammed him. Well even on that bass hit he gave up. That was on the guy's hands. I like that out of him. As you said, he doesn't bring a lot of velocity. Maybe ninety one ninety he was there. He threw a couple of sliders, a couple of change ups, nothing to a point where you were like, wow, that was a great breaking ball. But he got his feet wet. He got to the big leagues. His family and friends were there, and that's the baseball story. I love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, like you said, jamming guys inside, and you know, control and placement are going to be huge for him because he's, like you said, he's not overpowering anybody. So it was nice to see. You know, it was a good story in a season that really hasn't had a lot of happy stories for the Giants. We got to take everything we can get, so it was it was very cool. You know, the one piece coming over in the Bailey trade and making his debut in Cleveland, you know, where he thought he was going to eventually play anyway. So good story. You know, we need more of those in the in the dog days here.
Speaker 2: Well, Patrick Bailey had a chance runner out first base winning run at home. He came up to the bat, but Dylan Smith just went right at him, throw about a ninety seven mile an hour fastball. He didn't even swing at it, strike three. Pretty impressive what the Giants did on the mound today. And of course Patrick Bailey's walking back to the dugout hanging his hat, hanging his bat, and he ended up striking out to lose that game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how about Dylan Smith. I mean he nicks out save and coming in and you know, immediately having around second with nobody out and striking out the side. And boy, he looks like he can handle the handle the late innings. I don't know if he's a closer per se, but seventh inny eighth inning, guy, I think, you know, he's making a name for himself in a case to be an arm that they count on either next year or whenever they play baseball again. But you know, that's the important thing about the rest of this year. They have to see what they have in some of these guys and whether they can be long term contributors to see, you know, where they have to shore things up and where they have to add. So, you know, making a name for himself and coming in and being able to shut things down like that, it can. It's a great sign that he might have the mentality for late inning work. Not everybody has that.
Speaker 2: The one thing that I said earlier Dave was now Tony Vitello's got to set him for a day, don't push him tomorrow. He did that last time and he came into a game and he didn't have that closing stuff. This is where he's got to learn the bullpen. Okay, Dylan Smith, you're off today, say in Boston, you're not pitching it all today. Give him the day off. That's how you regulate the bullpen. Bruce Bochi was a master at that. You gave me your best. You threw thirty pitches, twenty two for strikes. Nice job. Take a rest tomorrow. You're not in there, and I'm hoping he sees that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, especially now when they're not playing for anything except pride. You know, they don't need him to come in and shut a game down, you know, because they can gain a game in the standings, or they're trying to hold off somebody from gaining on them. You know, this is just a warm up or a showcase for next year, really, so you know, I hope you're right. I hope he's kind of learned a little bit as he's gone about bullpen management and when the shut guys down for a day or two and he's earned it, I mean, a six, six out stave like that, he can take a day off and keep his head up to that. That was an incredible performance tonight.
Speaker 2: Well, Adrian hous are sure making a point of being a starting pitcher. And I think you heard my numbers earlier. Sixteen innings in three the last games, only giving up one to earn a run, twelve hits, twelve strikeouts, four walks. Boy, he was electric today. A fastball ninety seven. At times he threw forty two fastballs, twenty two sinkers. The movement on his sinker going away and a righty pulling it on the outside corner. Then he would throw that same pitch to a lefty in on his hands, a good change up. He only threw ten, but the three pitch mix with the fastball, sinker and change up he kept him off stride. Six ground ball outs, six fly ball outs, eleven first pitch strikes to twenty hitters. I really believe he wants to start, and he's sure showing signs that he should.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I mean, it's unfortunate that it took huntil August to show those signs, but you know, I agree with you. You know, he's showing why he looks like a guy that they were hoping they'd get when they gave that track to him last last winter. It took him a while to get there, and you know, everybody knows the struggles he had and being demoted to the bullpen and everything like that. But you know, he seems to have found something and you hope that it's it's something that he can repeat, because you know, he's he's not going where he's making a lot of money relative to what the Giants like to spend. He's going to be part of the rotation or as a long man. You know, you hope he's part of the rotation. You're paying him to be part of the rotation. So if it's something that he can repeat and something that he can you know, be consistent with, Yeah, the Giants have to be excited about it because the rotation outside of Web is a complete mystery and a compete, complete question mark going into the next season. So yeah, anybody that can come in and establish themselves is going to It's a blessing for the Giants because it's one less thing that they'll have to address this winter.
Speaker 2: Well the other thing too, Dave, you don't have to be a number two or number three as long as he's in a five man rotation, and he could be a three or four depending on what Land and Roop does. If he gets his act together, he's got electric stuff. And you're so right. I mean, what does this team have in starting pitching? Blade Tidwell throws two good games, his last game walk five. Carson Wizenhunt really has gone backwards in my eyes. He threw the ball so well coming up, and he threw the ball well in Sacramento. Then you have Adrian Houser. What what can you do with this staff? There isn't much to do. There isn't many guys out there, and I'm right with you. With with Matt Wilkinson, I think the biggest problem that's going to have in the big leagues is the second and third time when lineups come around on him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, when you don't have any when you don't have the stuff to overpower guys, it's tough seeing a lineup twice, especially, you know, the better lineups, they're going to adjust to that in a in a in a staff unless you can, unless you're Greg Maddis. I mean even when Greg Maddicks young, he was thrown in the high nineties. But unless you can spot the ball like a great Mannix, you know, you have to kind of rely on some luck, some some hit ball luck and some you know, being able to place the ball where he want place it. And it seems like he's a guy that maybe can get through a lineup once twice if you're lucky. What does that mean Is that a four inning guy? Is that a right three or five inning guy? You know, it's hard to say, but they have another month and a half to kind of figure that out and see where he is. And you know, he's on the forty man now, so they have to decide if he's worth keeping on the forty man and you know they have just like going into last offseason when the bulltend needed work and they needed a couple of starters, they have the exact same issues this time. So we'll see if Posey and Manesian learned any any lessons from this season when they when they actually do have to go sign some guys.
Speaker 2: Well, I said it a few times on the show. The next start for the tug Boat would be Monday in the first home game against Cincinnati. How cool will that be for that crowd to get in there and give him a tug Boat welcome And we'll see if he stays in a rotation. I would love to see that. Dave Toltner joining me on the Sports Funk KMBRE on a Wednesday. You can read his work at sf Gait does a great job covering the Giants. A Victor Barracota got a start in left field, made one hell of a play diving at the ball, made some great affield catches. He ended up getting the game winner. He got the game winning RBI with the base hit after Eldritch and Adamas flew out and Raphael Devers was standing on third with two outs and he came up with the clutch base hit. What do you see in Victor Bearracota moving forward?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, we've talked about him before, and like I said, he really reminds me a lot of Elliott Ramos in a way, the same way they play. You know, he's similar hitter. Obviously hasn't had the success that Ramos has had, but you know, he seems to be like he's got thetential to at least be a contributor. You know, they made that great play and left today, uh saved a couple of runs, save the game, won the game with his bat, and won the game with his glove. Really, and you know, it's exciting to see a guy like that, you know, kind of an unheralded guy coming up. I didn't really hear a lot about him, but you know, he's he's done enough. I think to get some some run down the down the stretch here and and see if he might be able to at least be a platoon bat. You know, if if him and Gilbert can form a lefty righty platoon, you know that that might work out best for both of them. But he's he's an exciting player. You know, he's a He's a guy that you want to see more of, and I think his emergence was one of the reasons why they were comfortable in training Ramos. You know, I know they've got they've got other guys in the system who they have a lot of high hopes for outfielders. But you know, he's a little unheralded guy, but he seems like he can be a contributor.
Speaker 2: Well, Dave, you and I were talking about Willie Thomas. He got scratched with a back issue and we just didn't know if he was going to go on the IL if there was just a couple of days taken off. And he started today and I was glad to see him, and he had a nice three for four game, and he made a nice play and then of course he a tough spin. I think that's where he made the error off of but he didn't come in to get it. It's good to see him out there, but how long are we going to see him, possibly with this lower backstrain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I don't think it's a coincidence that he had one of his better games in a while after he had some time off, So maybe that kind of tells him something you know, it might not be bad enough to shut him down for the rest of the year, but you know, maybe he misses. You know, he plays one, takes one off, plays two, takes two off. You know, it's I think he's got too much pride and he wants to be in there, and you know, he's had it down. Yere's no other way to say it. He's had a really disappointing year. And you know, I think I hope that bothers him a little bit. I get the impression that it does, but I hope it does, because you know, you never want to not live up to to the expectations and to the contract that he signed. But I think, you know, I think rested him well, and I think hopefully he realizes that. And you know, I think he's still going to I don't think they're going to shut him down by any means, but I think you're going to see a little bit less of him than he normally would well Dave.
Speaker 2: After tomorrow, the Giants go to Boston for a weekend series. Of course, some conversation tonight on a few calls about what is Raphael Dever's going to have? Is he going to have a standing ovation. Are there not going to be liking him or is he going to have boo birds coming at him? What's your thoughts about Raffie going back into Boston.
Speaker 1: Oh, you know, I hope they cheer for him. You know, he was on a World Series Winner. You know, he came up through their system and he was a young guy who really performed well for the Red Sox. I mean, he was one of the best hitters in the American League when he was there. And I know that the his exit wasn't it was a little acrimonious. It wasn't as it wasn't what they intended or what they had hoped it would be. But you know, I hope they at least give him a nice ovation. They can brew him after that. But I think we should acknowledge, you know what what he helped the acknowledged at least at least what he did for the franchise. And you know, he was a big part of that World Series Winner when he was what nineteen or twenty years old. So yeah, you know, I think I think they'll I think they'll welcome him back, and I hope so, you know, I think there was some bad blood between him and the and the organization. But I never heard him, you know, say a bad word about the fan base there, so I hope he does. You never like to see anybody that played that well for a team get booed when he comes back, so I think they'll do the right thing.
Speaker 2: Well. The Giants pitch Matt Wilkinson today against the Cleveland Guardians, a team they traded for him. Now are we going to see Marcella Meyer? Are we going to see him up now? When he goes to Boston, Because I think that would be a great homecoming because there's no question he watched but a Giants uniform and perform well, and.
Speaker 1: That he might get booed. They might not be forgiving him so you know the comments he made that he that he can't wait to play in San Francisco and he wanted to be on the West coast and all that, so they might not take too too kindly to that. But uh, that would be a very cool story, wouldn't it. I mean that his first his debut with the Giants back at Fenway, and Eric Miller's been killing it for them over there. He's you know, he's he's pitching really well for them, So it would be really nice to h to see the piece they got back for him. Uh, kind of make his debut and show what they what they have in him. You know, he's a total lottery ticket. But you know when you have when you have the opportunity to get a guy like that for a relief pitcher who probably doesn't fit into your long term plans, you know, that's an easy call every single time. So that would be a really cool story. You know. I hope he does, and I hope he he kind of sticks it to him a little bit.
Speaker 2: A few more minutes with Dave Tomer. You can follow him on x at GG Giants does a great job about talking giants and a lot of different feelings. He feels for a lot of players, And I think I want to jump into this last point Dave Land and Roupe. A lot of hurdles he's got to get through, and there's always that one inning where he throws thirty thirty five pitches and it just kind of upsets him. He doesn't challenge the hitters. A big game for him tomorrow. I really believe this start he's got to shake this. And Dave Fleming and Hovey said that they talk to him, you know, in the clubhouse, and he's worked really hard and trying to be more aggressive, and I think that's what you want to see out of these pitchers. You know, three three ball counts. He leads a major league baseball with that. That's not a stat you're proud of, No.
Speaker 1: Not at all. And you know it's you know, like we were just talking about the rotation, so many question marks that this is the chance for someone like him to come in and really take it by the take by the reins and make a name for yourself and lock down that rotation spot. And you know, his last you know, I know, he gave up a run against Detroit, but he only lasted what five and a third I think, and then you know, five and two thirds against Colorado, didn't even go five innings against the Padres. And before that, I think it was Milwaukee and he didn't even go four innings then. So you know, he's it's been a really up and down season for him. He looked like an All Star in the beginning, and then he fell off, and then he came back again, and he fell off again. So too inconsistent. You'd like to see a little more consistency. From a guy like that, especially if you're going to count on him to take up one of those rotation spots next year or whenever they play again. So yeah, big start for him tomorrow, and you know it's you hope that he makes those adjustments. He seems like a very a fiery kind of guy, and you know you have to wonder if his emotions get the best of him sometimes maybe that's what he has to work on and really overcome. But it's a big start from tomorrow, so.
Speaker 2: I really think so never really do and I think it's a good game to gage Chaman and move forward and we'll definitely find out. But Dave, thanks again for joining me on a Wednesday night. It's always a pleasure talking to my friend.
Speaker 1: Always a pleasure talking to me after a win. Bill very rare.
Speaker 2: I'll take it, all right, Dave, have a good night, all right. Coming up next, I sat down with my producer ralf and the end of May, after Matt Wilkinson the tugboat got traded over here, I did an interview with him in Richmond and to get to know Matt Wilkinson a little bit more, we're going to play that interview coming up next. Bill Laski talking to the tug boat as he got traded over to Richmond about a week after that. That's coming up next right here on sports Phone KMBR