Speaker 1: The GNC News Blitz with Rady Wang starts No, No, No.
Speaker 2: It is the News Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk Radio seven ninety KABC. This is your daily rundown of everything you need to know that's going on in California, that Southern California, the Bay Area, Sacramento, San Diego, and the Central Valley. I curate a list every single day of all the stories that I found that you may have missed at Randywangradio dot substack dot com. So check out the list of today's stories. If you'd like to call in and participate, the phone number is eight hundred two two two five two two two.
Speaker 1: You can send me.
Speaker 2: An email at Randy Wangradio at gmail dot com. And of course check out our YouTube channel for all kinds of on demand content and the live John Phillips Show from noon to three at Johnny don't Like dot com, or you can also use Randywang radio dot com. I bought both domain names. I'm not totally sure why, but might as well. Might as well buy it before somebody snatches it up and I need to buy it.
Speaker 1: Do you know?
Speaker 2: I found out from a friend of mine today that the website absolutely absolutely dot com is for sale. But as much as I would love to have.
Speaker 1: That, absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 2: I am not stupid enough to spend three thousand dollars for a domain name for a joke. I spent sixty dollars for a three year registration for the cashier is dummy dot com or excuse me, cashier is dummy dot com. Me that was worth the joke, and that is where you have the soundboard to all the little drops that we play for free. But I'm not spending three thousand dollars on absolutely absolutely dot com. We start in the San Fernando Valley and for once a not upsetting story about the San Fernando Valley. But one of the nice parts about being in the San Fernando Valley is Burbank Airport. Burbank Airport is just two months away from the big unveiling of the brand new terminal, the replacement terminal, which, by the way, if you don't know the backstory here, the FAA said that Burbank needed to get a new terminal because the current one was so close to the runway it was scary and something bad could happen. And Burbank Airport, which is an airport that I love and use frequently and would use more, but sometimes you just can't. They notably have a very short runway, so when the Southwest plane lands at Burbank, they got to hit the brakes real hard to make sure they get down without hitting anything. And so because the runway was so close to the terminal, and because that could mean an accident, they had to move it. And they decided, why don't we go ahead and class up the joint because the Burbank Airport looks almost exactly as it has for what over fifty years, maybe even longer. This airport has been around for a very long time and has had way too many name changes. It was a Hollywood Burbank Airport, the Burbank Airport, there was that era of the Bob Hope Airport. I think now it's kind of is it still known as Burbank or is it known as Burbank Glendale, Pasadena. Let's see what happens when we go to Burbank Airport. What are they calling it right now? They're calling it Hollywood Burbank Airport again. All right, we keep going back and forth, but ultimately, like when you're a frequent flyer, what really matters is the airport code, and the airport code has always been b UR, so call it whatever you want, which is why it must be very confusing for people in Orange County that want to go to John Wayne and they type into the airport code JNA nope, JN nope, SNA oh, because it's Santa Ana Airport. That's you know, So it didn't matter what they turned it. It's not like they changed the airport code to Bob when it was the Bob Hope Airport. So I'm a big fan of this airport and i am excited about this transformation. I'll be honest, the renderings look a little generic, and if you listen to some of the pieces from some of the architects and the designers, it's just a little esoteric, like, yes, it is the Hollywood Burbank Airport because the Burbank Airport is on Hollywood Way, and yeah, Burbank has the movie studios, but it's still not Hollywood. And do we really need the airport to harken back to the era of old Hollywood. There's going to be a big silver screen when you walk in, and we're going to have all kinds of little nods to the eras of old Hollywood as you know, a museum, because Hollywood is now in Toronto. But that being said, I'm very excited about this because Burbank Airport, especially as you get older, it leaves a little to be desired. Now, there are some major benefits. For one, you don't have to deal with LA traffic. For two, you don't have to deal with Lax traffic, and number three, you don't have to deal with Lax traffic. It is very simple to get in and out of there, even on the busiest days of the year, and we have flown Thanksgiving weekends and it's still doable. It's never been that crazy. Getting a ride share is pretty darn easy at Burbank Airport, and getting a it's funny distance wise. And let me actually map this out right now. Okay, Burbank Airport, how far is that from where I am broadcasting from?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 2: I am in the same Fernando Valley and I'm gonna put my address. Let's see what it says. I am ten miles from the Burbank Airport. Okay, how many miles am I from Lax good question, I am twenty two miles. Well, you would think that would mean that the ride share would cost twice as much. No, it costs three times as much because of course you have to factor in surge pricing.
Speaker 1: And all the other nonsense.
Speaker 2: By the way, ride Share when you go to Burbank Airport drops you off at the curb. There's no laxit lot and they pick you up right at the ride share which is right next to the curb. So it's practically the same thing, and it's it's very easy. Also, if it's a short trip, Burbank parking is great. I am a big fan of the valet parking at Burbank Airport. If you're doing a quick whirlwind trip, it's like forty dollars a day, which again at the minimum, because we get a fly, we're going to do black suv if we're taking a lift of the airport, because we got dogs and we got bags, and you know, I would like to have an There's something about it. Just there's these little things in life that make you feel fancy. And there's a big difference between getting picked up in a big black Chevy Suburban and getting picked up in a Kia Soul.
Speaker 1: There's just a little bit of a.
Speaker 2: Difference, and sometimes you get a spring for that just so you can feel kind of fancy. But if you're only going for two or three days, it might make sense because if you're talking about it's seventy five dollars each way, that means it's one hundred and fifty dollars. And if it's only forty dollars a day to park valet at Burbank, well, then just park valet at Burbank. If you're only going for two or three days. And by the way, we did a trip to San Francisco where we flew up and it is the greatest flight ever. It's a flight that I hope to do a lot more often, as we hope to do more remotes and stuff in San Francisco, and I want to visit San Francisco more. And you know, someday, if we do well enough with this little radio venture, I'd like to have a condo in San Francisco. That is the greatest flight because it takes twenty minutes to get to the airport. You're in the air for like forty five minutes and then you get to SFO and you can weigh mow till your heart's content. But when we did a quick little weekend trip. It's like, why are we ride sharing? I can just do the valet cost me forty bucks. It was great, and the valet is right there. It's all at the curb. So it's a wonderful airport, but it is a small airport. It is in the first terminal. There are nine gates in the second terminal. I don't know how many gates there are because I've only used that terminal once. I don't actually know what's in the other terminal, but I know that there's even less food options than the regular Burbank terminal. So that's the number one issue is the amenities that are at the Burbank airport. If you happen to be waiting for your flight, you're connecting to another flight, or you know what, inevitably happens, your flight gets delayed, there's not really a lot to do to kill time. Now, they do have free Wi Fi, so you find a little seat with power and you plug on your Nintendo switch, you'll be good to go. But although Lax is the worst airport in the country by a long, long long mile, well not by a long shot. Hartsfield Jackson is pretty awful too, but Lax does have if you know what you're doing and you have the right credit cards, amenities that can make life a little simpler. I will say there have been times where I do look forward to lax when we're flying on a Saturday and we know there's not gonna meet traffic, when we're doing a little Santa Fe flights. Going to those Admirals clubs really really really pays off that credit card that I have, the American Airlines World Elite Master Card. It's like six hundred dollars a year, but it gets you Admirals Club for you, and like it does definitely does for my wife. I think it gets you for your whole group if you have up to like four or five people. I'm not exactly sure, but because we never travel with just more than the two of us, I have gotten more than my money's worth, and just Margerita is on that. And when you're at Burbank Airport and you didn't already eat, there are very few options. They just finally put in a Starbucks, which it's the funniest thing. It is like one of the saddest stories of capitalism. But you're going through Burbank Airport and there's not that many options to get anything to eat drink, let alone coffee, And a couple of years ago they put in a PiZZ coffee and it would do okay.
Speaker 1: Then they put in the Starbucks.
Speaker 2: And the Starbucks is like at Gate two, and the Pietz Coffee is at like Gate five. And guess what, Nobody goes to the Pietz coffee. And I'm sure Pete's coffee is just as good as Starbucks.
Speaker 1: It might even be better.
Speaker 2: But one thing that Starbucks has and I don't drink a lot of coffee because I only drink DCAF. I do buy a lot of coffee when I'm traveling because I want to support local vendors and I want to try local experiences, and I like the taste of coffee. But there's no reason to have it decaf coffee. I'm just doing it. It's like decorative glasses, you know. But Starbucks, with the convenience of that app, it does make things a heck of a lot easier, especially when you go into the airport. But outside of that, and yeah, you can get breakfast there. There's that little restaurant that nobody's ever eaten. There's the sandwich stands that those sandwiches look pretty darn old like they came out of a vending machine. And then there's the Guy Fieri bar right in the middle of Gates five and six, and yeah, I've had a drink or two. My wife and I have enjoyed a cheese fries from Guy Fieri and it's it's not bad. But it'll be nice to have some new eateries. It'll be nice to have some new experiences in this new, beautiful reframed. We're doing an ode to old Hollywood Terminal. Now, there are some things that are not changing that I'm very excited about, because I'm sure the initial fear that a lot of people had about them updating and redoing the Burbank Airport is that that would mean you no longer have the old school staircase boarding. Don't you worry. You're still boarding on the tarmac. You can still board in the front of the plane and the back of the plane, which means you can also dplane in the front of the plane and the back of the plane. That's not going anywhere. Apparently, when they did community meetings and they did community outreach, it was like the most requested thing to keep. It's something that people love. And when Southwest had, like you know, before they had a sign seating and Southwest was just this wild, wild West free for all, there was always something you felt like you were in a part of a club when you were like one of the few people that knew that. Like when you're coming back from Dallas what.
Speaker 1: Have you, You're.
Speaker 2: Sitting in the back of the plane even though you're in Group A, and the flight attendants look at you, and you look at them and like, oh, you know, you're going to Burbank, You're going to get out of here real quick. Don't really need to do that anymore because now Southwest has a sign seating and if you have the credit card, you'll they'll automatically bump you up to an extra leg room seat if they have one available. And if you're taking that Southwest flight from Burbank to San Francisco on a Saturday morning, there were a lot of open seats.
Speaker 1: So we'll see what goes on with that.
Speaker 2: I'm very excited to see this airport get a facelift. It is a very special place to me. I remember the very first flight I ever took at a Boroughbank Airport. It was in two thousand and eight, I hadn't Okay, two thousand and eight wasn't that long ago.
Speaker 1: It's about eighteen years ago. I'm forty. I'm about to be forty one and a week and a half.
Speaker 2: Or two weeks from today. Yeah, two weeks from today. That's no next week.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: I should really do the math here, Yes, it's next week. Okay, anybody working at the radio station, listen right now.
Speaker 1: I'm never in town for my.
Speaker 2: Birthday, and there's a specific reason because I don't want cake, so I specifically try to be out of town. But I'm actually in town this time because the wife's in Toronto. I don't want any cake. Do not get cake. I will feel guilty and then have to shame eat it. Okay, we got that out of the way. But in two thousand and eight, I had only been on a plane once, and I don't even remember it because I was seven and my family flew to Orlando to go to Disney World.
Speaker 1: And the only thing I.
Speaker 2: Remember about Disney World at the age of seven was that it rained a lot and we had ponchos, so money well spent on that vacation. I really wonder at what point kids like retain information because I don't remember any of those trips. So that was the only time I had ever been on a plane. And then I had been working at ninety seven point one for many years, and I had made quite a bit of money because I was so busy, I wasn't spending it on anything except for fast food four times a day. And I get a hanker in to do something that I would never do, get on one of those Burbank flights to Vegas and do a quick little weekend in Vegas. And I flew on a Jet Blue plane and it was a Jet Blue plane in that forty five minute flight from Burbank to Vegas that had and this was the rage technology that all the airlines needed to have. We need to invest millions and millions and millions of dollars to have a television in the back of every seat. And I remember flipping through the TV and thinking this was pretty cool. I actually remember there was some game show that Regis Feldman was hosting. I think it was password, a celebrity password, and Adam Carolla was the celebrity guest, which is funny because I worked for Adam Carolla at the time, Like Huh, that's interesting. I'll always remember that flight, and I always remember, Wow, we spent so much money on everyone getting a TV in the back of the seat, not realizing that in a few short years all people really want is a plug so they can keep their phone going in free Wi Fi. Boy, how the world has changed. By the way, that was a wild trip to Vegas because I want a thousand dollars. I also spent way too much money on all kinds of things I don't need to get into right here, and on the way I want a thousand dollars On a Monday morning, on playing six hundred dollars on roulette and two hundred dollars slot polls, I was so convinced I was going to lose all of it that I immediately went to the airport and just wandered around, rented a mobile DVD player and watched the DVD of You Don't Mess with the Zohan. Because I knew this way I wouldn't spend any money. Of course, little did I know they have slot machines at the airport. But it was on that trip. As I'm sitting in McCarran Airport, I get a phone call from the program director and the general manager of ninety seven point one saying, hey, we might go out of business in a month, so it was a really good thing that I didn't blow that thousand dollars. Anyway, Burbank Airport's getting a facelift. How exciting is that? It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on KABC.
Speaker 1: It's the News.
Speaker 2: Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk Radio seven ninety KABC. All Right, you tuned in at the perfect time. Boy, do I have something exciting for you. Seven ninety KABC welcomes Gypsy Kings featuring Nicholas ray Is at the Greek Theater on August seventh, twenty twenty six. Tickets are on sale now at ticketmaster dot com, but right now, calling number nine at one, eight at eight, seven ninety five two to two two gets a pair of tickets to the show. Tickets furnished by Nita Lander Concerts. Good luck dialing. We have so much on demand video content for you to check out, so when you're home, if you haven't seen what we've been doing lately, check it all out. You can go to Johnny Don't like dot com, You can go to Randy Waning Radio dot com. It takes you the exact same place. But we have the YouTube channel that has our episodes of the Accountability Podcast. We've done five episodes so far, so if you've missed any of them, you can watch them right there. You can also listen on Apple Podcasts by searching for Accountability Podcasts, but I like to play the stuff on YouTube, even if I'm just gonna listen to it. That is how I consume ninety nine percent of all of my podcasts. There's also video rebroadcasts of this show, segments and clips from the John Phillips Show. It's all there, it's all on demand, and it's all free. Of course, you can also watch the John Phillips Show live every single day from noon to three right there at Johnny Don't Like dot Com. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk Radio seven ninety KABC. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk radio seven ninety KABC. This is your daily rundown of everything you need to know that's going on in California, Southern California, the Bay Area, Sacramento, San Diego, and the Central Valley. Check out my list. I put it together every single day. Of all the stories that I found interesting. It's my show prep visualized for you at Randywangradio dot substack dot com. Our phone number is eight hundred two two two five two two two and my email is Randy Wang Radio at gmail dot com. You can follow me on the socials at Randy Wang Radio and check out all the on demand and live video stuff that we're doing at Johnny don't Like dot com or Randywangradio dot com. I really love this story because it shows that there is hope in the future. There is hope in the next generation because dumb phones are making a comeback. The generation that was raised on smartphones, the generation that was raised on social media, the generation of girls that became bullymic because of Instagram and idiot boys stuff tidepods in their mouths because of TikTok.
Speaker 1: They are now.
Speaker 2: Purposefully and on their own terms, trying to back a way from this digital life, trying to back away from everything being about social media, and thank goodness, there is hope. The whole touch Grass movement is a wonderful, wonderful thing because even though these little devices in our pockets are little miracles and we're all more connected than we ever have been before. We're also a lot lonely and than we have been before, and we're all antisocial, and we're all strange, and it's because we're staring at these screens all day long. Now, I like to say that, well, I'm an exception because I have to do so much of this stuff for work, and if I wasn't working, I wouldn't be doing any of it. And you know what that is true if I looked at my screen time usage the ten days that my wife and I were traveling through Europe. Outside of using the maps, which, by the way, one of the things that's one of the best parts of having a cell phone and having a watch app or having metaglasses is directions when you're walking around when you're trying to find a specific place, or you can just go to Madrid and you shouldn't put in a map for anything, because the fun of Madrid is to turn a corner, find some random, unassuming looking taberna, have the best wine and harmon that you've ever had, and it costs.
Speaker 1: You almost nothing.
Speaker 2: I miss Spain, and yeah, that week, outside of using the maps, occasionally checking in with family through text, and using the pictures and video cameras, so we had some memories. I wasn't checking social media, I wasn't paying attention to what was going on in the news.
Speaker 1: Twenty four to seven.
Speaker 2: It was a beautiful, beautiful time, but I'm not in Europe right now. And even when I was in Toronto last week, even though I had the most fun, and I can't wait to go back to Toronto, Canada. I also I want to go to Vancouver, and I want to go to Victoria. I'd like to do a lot of Canada traveling. It is just beautiful up there and the people are friendly. And we'll get back to the smartphones for a minute. But I just I need to say this because I haven't had an opportunity to say this. When you go to our kind neighbor to the north, you immediately see how unbelievably stupid the tariff wars are, because you know what the tariff wars have led to. If you're in Canada, you cannot buy American alcohol. You can't buy American whiskey, you can't buy American beer. Not that I was going to buy American beer, but you can't buy American wine. And one of the splendors of the state of California is California's wine industry. We produce some of the best wine in the world, but you can't buy any of it in Canada because that's how they retaliated against us for all of these tariffs against Canada, which again is our ally And that also has meant a decimation for the tourism industry of Wine Country because a lot of those tourists were Canadians.
Speaker 1: Who came down here to spend their money.
Speaker 2: A lot of the reason Vegas has lost so much money in the last couple of years is because tourism is way down because the Canadians are like, screw you, We'll go to France. We'll go to Monte Carlo instead of going to the Monte Carlo hotel on the strip. So when you actually go there, and by the way, the nice thing is the real people.
Speaker 1: Not only one person.
Speaker 2: Asked me about politics, People like, oh, you're from Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Fun.
Speaker 2: Everyone was just so friendly, And I think all of that stuff is nonsense and it is stupid. But yes, in Toronto, I did use my phone plenty because I was working. It still says my usage was down thirteen percent from usual. But if you ever, you know you every Sunday morning you get that update on your phone and it tells you how much time you've been staring at it. You might look at just the banner where it's like, hey, you used your phone on an average of four hours.
Speaker 1: A day this week. Good for you.
Speaker 2: It is when you actually open up that app. And by the way, you can do this right now. You can go to your settings on your iPhone, scroll down to where it says screen time, and it will tell you things that will it'll just make you feel sad. For instance, it shows you not only what you're doing, but how you're using your time. Now again, I like to think that I get a pass here because I'm using my phone a lot for work. I wake up in the morning, I start scrolling through YouTube. So yes, obviously it makes sense that on average I use YouTube for six hours and fifty eight minutes a day. What that can't be, right, Well, maybe that counts what I'm also uploading stuff on YouTube. That's a lot. It says I'm on X for an hour and forty four minutes a day. It says I'm on YouTube Studio for an hour and forty one minutes a day. Okay, that's a problem. So YouTube studio, if you're a content creator, is where you can see how many likes your videos are getting, how many views your videos are getting, how many comments. And I'm trying to be respectful and polite and you know, respond when people are commenting. But it's also it is another one of these things that the phone does to us. It creates a really addictive dopamine trip. And it can have high highs and it can have low lows. We post a video and it starts getting all kinds of clicks. Well, this is so great. I post another video. It doesn't get as many clicks.
Speaker 1: Why.
Speaker 2: I don't know, And so I probably it makes sense an hour and forty one minutes a day. I'm just hitting refresh on that now it says I use the Maps app for an hour and thirty eight minutes a day.
Speaker 1: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: I have Apple Maps while I'm driving. I don't know why I don't ever change my route because I don't know about you. I happen to believe that when Google Maps or Apple Maps or Ways tells you don't take the freeway, take this instead. I'd rather be the sap that sits on the freeway than one of the ten thousand people trying to do exactly that, because they're not just giving you that advice. And I have found more often than not, it's always slower. Just sit on the freeway. We'll all suffer together. Message. I'm texting an hour and thirty eight minutes a day. Okay, that makes sense. Text a lot with my wife. I'm on Instagram for an hour in fifteen minutes a day. I'm on Gmail for forty minutes. It feels like there are more minutes in here. Oh, this is an average for the week. Okay, okay, okay, it's not as bad. That's how much I was using it for the week. Let me go to day yesterday. I spent an hour and thirteen minutes on YouTube, thirty six minutes text messaging, twenty three minutes on X, seventeen minutes on YouTube studio, fifteen minutes on the phone, ten minutes on Instagram, and then I was doing some searching for flights so Avianca and American they got some love too. But yeah, that's a lot of time that I am spending. But it doesn't just tell you little things like how often you're using your apps. It also tells you how many times and this one is this one freaks me out. On average, it tells you how many times you pick up your phone, whether that's it's on the desk and you pick it up to look at it, you have it in your pocket, you pull it out to look at it. Yesterday I pulled out my phone one hundred and nine times, and that was low. The day before I pulled it out one hundred and fifty five times. Now, it also tells you how many notifications you're getting, whether that's text messages, direct messages on Instagram, DMS on X messages from Twitter. Also another thing that I hate about this device. We have so much technology at our fingertips. We pay these telecom companies. Probably everybody listening is paying like one hundred dollars a month for their cell phone. But what's the one thing that the cell phone cannot do? It either can't or doesn't want to block all the unwanted calls or go after all the spammers and the scammers out there. Every single time I pop open my phone, it tells me about the fifteen missed calls that I have from numbers that I'm never going to know because they say it's spam risk. Well, if the iPhone knows that it's spam risk, then why oh why aren't we figuring out how to shut that down? Why is it that these international companies cannot shut down the big farms where you have slave labor pretending to be somebody else and masking phone numbers to scam people. The people that service all of this, the people that own the telephone lines, how do they not have any kind of a say in how to shut that down. Maybe it's because they make money on every call. I don't know how it works, but I feel like we should be able to shut that down. So the fact that kids are now actually gravitating towards phones that just have like text messaging, just have maps, just have ride share, which is a great thing to have. It's great. I love that, and I love that. You know, more young people than ever do not have a Facebook. More young people are getting off of Instagram. And again, I use these things because you need to for this job. But if I did not do that, I don't know if I would be posting nearly as much. You know, for a long time, I stopped posting food pictures on my social media because I would get weird comments and I was like, what am I doing this for? But I still like to share my cooking, so I would just share it with you know, my group chat. I will say one of the best things the iPhone has done in the last few years. Love the group chat feature, although sometimes it can annoy me, but I love to share a picture with like my family or my wife's family. Hey, look at this meal we made. We'd love to make this together with you when we're all together. There are benefits to having all this technology, but there are many, many, many drawbacks, and it is a lovely thing to see that the generation that was raised on this very well understands how toxic it is. And this is as we're going into AI changing everything, whether it really will or not, more people wanting to live IRL. I am all for it. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on KABC.
Speaker 1: It's the News.
Speaker 2: Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk Radio seven ninety KABC. There's always these perpetual stories that sim to never ever ever get resolved, and one of them is in San Diego in a project called Midway Rising. Midway Rising is a planned major development at the old San Diego Sports Arena. And you're wondering who used to play at the San Diego Sports Arena. Well, it used to be the home of the NBA's San Diego Rockets. It also used to be home to the NBA's San Diego Clippers. It was also home of the American Hockey Leagues San Diego Gulls and the National Lacrosse Leagues San Diego Seals. It has not really been used for anything in quite some time, which is why there was a plan. In fact, the whole area was bought by Stan Kronki. Stan Kronki the owner of the Rams and also of You're Upper Up and Wine Country. The Kronky's own one of the most expensive tasting rooms. It's not that I mean, it is expensive to taste there, but it's more just they spent a lot of money that they'll never make back on the tasting room because they won't need to. It's a place called the Hilt on Santa Road. It's beautiful, they made great wine, but yeah, the Kronkis own that. And of course they also own a whole bunch of woodland hills right now. The Kronkis own the Tepega Village, which hopefully when they build a new RAMS training facility, won't have so many vacancies inside there. It makes me sad because that's such a beautiful development. Well, the Kronkis bought the old San Diego Sports Arena because they wanted to turn it into a brand new sixteen thousand seat arena for a non existent sports team, and of course have shopping and dining and residences and.
Speaker 1: Think you know this is going.
Speaker 2: This is one of these projects that has been bogged down in sequa hell for years and years and years. Part of the fight has been that even though the city of San Diego approved changing the zoning for how tall buildings could be at the Midway Rising development, the local neighbors sued and one and got an injunction and apparently nobody can come to an agreement because I guess you can't make your money back on this development until you have a certain height. And there's people in the neighborhood where they don't want the height because it's going to block their view whatever you can call it, neighbors trying to protect their character, you can.
Speaker 1: Call them nimbi's what have you.
Speaker 2: So now what's going on is there's going to be a bill that goes to the legislature that will specifically exempt Midway Rising from certain aspects of SEQUA to get it through. It's almost like we do this now. We have specific carve outs for specific projects in state law, like when Steve Balmer, the owner of the Clippers, got the California legislature to author a last call extension to four AM, not just not for Englewood, not for La County, for just the Clippers arena the into a dome, which is a beautiful place. So they're going to exempt certain aspects of SEQUA so the locals can stop suing over this project, which I mean, ultimately I wish we could all come to some kind of an agreement here, because what we want these sports arena to just sit there empty and at some point the yimbie crowd has a point when you have people suing over and over and over again to stop any kind of development, especially one where there there's already an empty sports arena there. But I think ultimately we need to stop cutting around the edges of Okay, well we need to exempt this from SEQUA. We need to exempt this from SEQUA. At what point do we say it does not make sense to have an environmental protection law that has a private right of action. What does that mean? Well, the tricky thing with SEQUA is that anybody can sue to stop any project in the name of SEQUA, just like how there's a private right of action in the Americans with Disabilities Act, which there have been several troll attorneys have taken advantage of where even if you are not directly harmed, even if you are not directly victimized, like you're not a disabled person that cannot get to the towel rack in the bathroom of the mom and pop restaurant, you as an attorney can sue on behalf of a non existent person. You can also sue for any reason to block a project under SEQUE because you want an environmental review.
Speaker 1: And it seems that if we really.
Speaker 2: Really really want to solve the housing crisis, we've got to stop these kinds of nonsensical delays. But everyone should be able to come to an agreement, get into a room together. Maybe that's what we need. We need forced mediation because these lawsuits take so long, the projects take so much longer, and then inevitably, whatever housing gets built there is going to be that much more expensive. Now that all being said, as we talk about California's housing crisis, I have to talk about the Coyote squatters. We did cover this on The John Phillips Show, but it is something that I want to really drive down and drill down on. We're in a housing crisis in the state of California, That's what everybody tells us. But then why are there so many abandoned buildings, abandon construction projects, abandon developments, the Tagger Towers, the Coyote Hotel in West Hollywood, all the vacant homes that burn down on Hope Street. Why is there so much vacant abandoned property in California? And before we need to build everything else, shouldn't we figure out how to utilize that property?
Speaker 1: Just a thought. Thank y'all so much for listening.
Speaker 2: We got tons of on demand content for you, so go to the website Johnny don't Like dot com, Randywang Radio dot com. You can watch all kinds of stuff from this show and the John Phillips Show. So watch it, give it a like, and give it a comment. We love hearing from you. That's Johnny don't Like dot Com, Randywang Radio dot com see u