Speaker 1: And very happy Friday to you at twelve oh seventy. In the West, it's the joint at Phillips Show, mister Randy Weggs in Culver City. John.
Speaker 2: It is now day four of counting the ballots in California and Los Angeles, and the numbers that we have right now have shifted a little, but not a lot yet. In the LA mayors race, Karen Bass has one hundred and ninety five thousand votes at thirty five percent, Spencer Pratt is thirty three thousand votes below that one hundred and sixty three thousand and twenty nine percent, and Nithia has thirty three thousand votes below Spencer Pratt at one hundred and thirty thoy twenty three percent. In the governor's race, for some reason, Decision Desk has now said that it's definitely Bakarea Hilton's maybe, but Hilton has twenty seven percent, Bakaria has twenty six percent, and Steyer has twenty and today.
Speaker 1: The betting markets all turned on Hilton.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to tell you about these betting markets. Again, you have to take this with a grain of salt unless people have inside information. But boy, is there a lot of money being placed on these. The Governor's race one is now up to almost six million dollars, but currently it has Styre at a sixty four percent chance, no excuse me, Styre at a thirty six percent chance of making the runoff, Hilton at a sixty four percent chance, and that has gone down quite a bit. In the La Mayors one, Nthia is at a seventy nine percent chance to make the runoff, and Spencer Prade is down to twenty three But I have not seen the amount of ballots that Nythia needs to cross that deficit happen yet.
Speaker 1: But I don't know. Maybe we'll see today. This state is soll third world. How in the world are we three days after the election and we still don't know who won.
Speaker 2: Imagine how long this process would take if everybody voted. This is how long the taking to count and verify ballots when twenty five percent of the state votes.
Speaker 1: So we got an email from a listener who has worked at the post office his entire life, and I got the impression from the email that the guy was in management or in some administrative capacity at this point, and he said that ballots at the post office are treated as very high priority, not just ballots, but he said also any kind of political literature as you get close to the election, because if political literature is delivered the day after the election, you don't want the candidate or the issue group or whatever blaming the post office for why they lost the election. So he said there is an internal rule that there is a rush on all ballots, and if a truck breaks down or there's some problem, it's not like they just leave it there for the next day. They are right on top of it because they know what an important role they play in the process. And he said there is no reason for any ballot that's mailed within the state of California not to get to the registrar within two days three tops. If something irregular happens, something goes wrong. We are now three days after the election. I understand there are people who are students studying abroad and maybe if they put their ballot in the mail in Asia or Europe or South America or some remote part of the world, those ballots haven't gotten here yet. Maybe if you're a pilot or a flight attendant or in the military and you're somewhere far off, your ballot hasn't gotten here yet, but that has to be a tiny percent of the ballots. Ninety nine percent of them. I bet you are mailed within the state of California.
Speaker 2: Now they have the ballots, the vast majority of the ballots, they have them. It's this process of counting them that is taking a bazillion years.
Speaker 1: And I just for the life of me, can't figure out who thinks this is acceptable. You know what this reminds me of. It reminds me of buying a house, because you go to the negotiating table, you take a look at the house, you see what you like, what you don't like, what the asking price is, You put your offer in, you go back and forth, you come to an agreement, and boom, you go into escrow. And then the escrow lasts for forty five days unless you're me, and it goes way beyond that. And during the escrow it's all these twists and turns, and each side thinks the others screwing each other, and you have to go back to the negotiating table because someone steals the pul pump whatever, and it just goes on and on and on and on, and it's a dog fight. The entire time, and you just can't wait for it to be over. And that's what this feels like. This feels like we're buying a house that we don't even want, and it's a never ending escrow with no end in sight.
Speaker 2: We would all like to move on, but it seems that this slow process is going to continue today, throughout the weekend, and early next week before we have a definitive answer on who the top two are on the races that everyone's paying attention to, the California governor's race and the LA mayors race.
Speaker 1: Now I'd like to point out we're the ones paying attention to those two races, but the same dynamic is at play up and down the ballot because they're slow counting all the ballots, and those races are determined by the votes on the same ballots that are waiting to be counted. So there are any number of people who are running for state legislature, running for Congress, running for judge, running for city council. Nobody knows the results for anything well.
Speaker 2: And to that point, one of the congressional races that's getting a lot of attention is in House District six. That's the one where Kevin Kylie, who is now a No Party preference, was trying to keep his job. I don't think they've had an update on that one since Tuesday, and we might get one today.
Speaker 1: No, many of these counties do not do daily drops. They do them periodically once or twice a week. Well, why aren't you working twenty four to seven? If you work for the Registrar of Voters, you're kind of like Santa Claus. Santa Claus works one day a year. You people work the primary and the general. Why are they shutting down for weekends or holidays or whatever we are they Why aren't they going twenty four to seven? This is your one job? And by the way, why are they even allowed to be unionized? I was reading that it's the SEIU that represents the people who count the ballots in Los Angeles County they endorsed in all of these races. Isn't that a conflict of interest? Little bit? I mean, even for the oscars, don't they go to third party companies that handle the votes? Price, Waterhouse and Cooper. There you go. Why do I know that I live in an HOA and we have to vote for the board members of the HOA well, the management company that we hired works for the current board, so from the point of view of the HOA, it's a conflict of interest to let that management company count the votes. So they farm it out to a third party that doesn't have any conflict of interest to count the votes for a little HOA election. Why in the world wouldn't you do the same thing for an actual election. In fact, I think even Randy in our Union elections, they farm it out to a third party to count the votes. Do you vote in those No? I did one time because doctor Drew was running for something.
Speaker 2: I miss the days where I get the voicemail from Fran Dresher Hi, It's Fran needs you to vote on this.
Speaker 1: I cannot believe it, quite frankly. And we had that woman from Beverly Hills nine oh two and oh before her, Gabrielle Carterras. I don't even know who it is now, do you. Isn't it Sean Aston? Maybe I don't know. I'll tell you what needs to happen, because you cannot rely on the State of California to fix any of this, because, for whatever reason, they're perfectly fine with all the chaos. Why I don't know, but they seem to be.
Speaker 2: You see Gavin Newsom's press officelyes in putting out we wish it was faster too.
Speaker 1: No, you don't, you appointed, Shirley Webber. You ding dong. Here's what needs to happen. The first thing that they need to do is Voter I D needs to pass and we need to make sure that the individual gets their correct ballot and that they are legally allowed to vote in the state of California. And if you verify that, that's one assurance. The other thing that we should do, which is never going to happen because the state's in charge of this, is we should go back to the old days where you only get an absenceee ballot if you request one, you got to opt in, and you need to opt in every single election. No more of this. We're going to have a gazillion ballots just floating in the ether. I remember when I lived in an apartment complex in West Hollywood. Every single election there would be a stack of ballots in the mail room that we're just sitting there. Because when you deal with areas like that where people are coming to work in the entertainment industry or trying to make it in Hollywood. Whatever, they come and they go. People don't stay a long time. You either hit it big and you buy a house in the hills, or you strike out and you go back to Kansas, or you can't pay the rent in a nicer neighborhood so you go live in a cheaper neighborhood. There's a lot of churn in those areas. And we would have a massive stack of ballads that would just be sitting in the mailroom and then one day they would just disappear. And I don't know who took them. I don't know what they did with them. They just disappear. Regardless of whether or not something nefarious is going on, that doesn't make people confident in the election. Your vote should be sacred. Your vote should be something that is legitimate and done the right way and that sort of thing. And to just have them floating around like it's some sort of ad from bed bath and beyond is not good. That shouldn't happen. And we know how often we clean up the voting roles, So let's just assume that there's nothing bad going on. People who are dead should not be getting ballots, People who moved should not be getting ballots. People who were in prison should not be getting ballots. And if you don't clean up the roles regularly, those ballots are just floating around on the ether. And it also makes it look like no one cares because the voter participation is so low because all of these people who aren't really active voters are still listed as active voters on the rolls.
Speaker 2: Think of how much paper we're wasting when seventy percent of these ballots go in the trash well, and it's.
Speaker 1: Not even just the ballots, because the candidates think that person is still participating, so they send them all the mail.
Speaker 2: So when we had that Prop fifty election, do you remember there was the story of the woman who's been dead since nineteen ninety four. They got a ballot in Los Angeles County.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm not surprised at all.
Speaker 2: So how much Tom Steyer mail? Do you think her grave got? About four hundred and eighty two dollars worth? And I'll tell you something else that should happen. If the Registrar of voters is not in possession of your ballot by election day, it should not count no more of this putting it in the mail on election day and having it postmarked, and the postmarked is what matters.
Speaker 1: No more of that, because then you don't know when the ballots are going to get there or not. If it's by eight pm on election day, then you know what you're dealing with. Then it's easier to count the ballots. It's easier to add them all up and figure out who won and who lost. And I'll tell you what excuse can be used to do that. Because of the budget cuts, the post Office can no longer guarantee if you drop off a letter at the post office then it will be postmarked that day. They say it'll be done that day or the next day, but they cannot guarantee that it will be done that day. Well, if that's the case, and you tell people if you drop it off by eight pm on Tuesday, it'll count, and maybe it will, maybe it won't, that should be illegal. And I think the courts could step in and say no more of that allowed. In fact, I believe that will actually happen at some point. And if the Feds do that, that's outside the hands of the state. The state has no control over what the federal courts do. They can argue against it in court, I guess, but the decision lies with the Feds and not the state. But we have to change the way we do this because guess what if you haven't a less action and everyone wakes up the next morning and see certain results, and a month and a half later, you go to them and you go, yeah, uh, no one who was ahead on election night actually won. They all lost. In fact, no one will trust the process. No one will trust it well.
Speaker 2: And to that point, we have not seen an increase in turnout since this system was put in. Turnout is way down. Turnout is low. This does not inspire anybody to vote. By giving them an entire month to turn it in, plus a few days for dropping it off at the last second, it is not inspiring people to actually show up.
Speaker 1: No, And then whenever there's some sort of irregularity that's pointed out, they go, oh, it's a reporting here, Oh it's a mistake. Oh it wasn't anything bad, it wasn't anything nefarious, it was just something that just wasn't done correctly. And you go, okay, Well, if you allow the process to drag on for a month and a half, how many of those mistakes are going to pop up, and the answer is a lot. The more opportunities you give them to make mistakes, the more mistakes you're going to get. So if you have these mistakes over and over and over and over and over again, no one is going to end up trusting them, No one, because guess what if all of a sudden a month from now, they go, oh yeah, Spencer Pratt and Steve Hilton lost, They're not making it to the November runoff, too bad, so sad that all of the Republicans are going to be furious and believe that they rig the election. And then guess what, when you get to November, you're going to end up with a traditional Democrat and a socialist, and then one of them is going to be really upset to after it goes on for a month and a half to count the ballots. We can't live like this, we can't do business like this, and we can't trust the state to reform it. So it's got to be the voters that do it with voter ID and it's got to be the Fed who step in and say no, no, no, no, no, no more of this. Stop acting like a third world country. Eight hundred two two two five two two two is a telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny Don't Like Show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny Don't Like Show at gmail dot com and Randy. The weekend is quickly approaching. We're not going to produce live episodes on Saturday and Sunday, but if you want to listen to us, you can do that quite easily.
Speaker 2: All you gotta do is search for the John Phillips Show wherever you get your podcasts, and that could be on the Apple podcast app, that could be on iHeart, that could be on Spotify. Search for the John Phillips Show, hit subscribe. You could download all the episodes. You could do a Google on.
Speaker 1: The YouTube or Google on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Let's keep ours show the most popular one on the Cumulus News Talk YouTube channel. To subscribe to that channel. If you get a second at YouTube dot com, slash at Cumulus News Talk, our episodes automatically go up there. You can also get the KABC app or the KSFO app.
Speaker 1: How about the KMJ now app.
Speaker 2: We're on that station Saturdays at noon, and this weekend show is going to be about the high speed rails. That'll be lots of fun, lots of different ways to listen to what we're doing every single day live from noon to three, and there are so many different ways to download the podcast. You could listen to these podcasts whether you're commuting by car, whether you're commuting by bike, or whether you're commuting by public transit.
Speaker 1: I'm Tom Steyer. I'm about to ride the team. All right. Let's go to the phones at eight hundred two two two five two two two and begin with Jack and Anaheim. Jack.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hey, how you doing.
Speaker 1: John good?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a retired postal employee and I can just verify it. I can guarantee if there is no political mail at any post office in the country right now, and I guarantee they cleared it out the day the day before the election. I spent thirty four years in the post office, and I remember, if you know, I worked at delivery units. Those are post office that actually had mail carriers working in them. If a ballot was found the day before the election, and that mailman had already left and was on the street, the supervisor would take it out and deliberate. And I also spent more than a decade a processing plan. And if we found a single ballot at three o'clock in the morning and it didn't get on a truck, a supervisor would take it to that delivery unit to make sure I got you know, processed and delivered. You know.
Speaker 1: And to be clear, this works both ways, correct the BA the ballots going to the voter and the ballots going back to the registrar.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, And there is an unwritten rule in that post office that all of that mail is to be treated with the highest priority.
Speaker 3: They treated with more uh priority than express mail, and they even document it. When when I was working at a processing plan, we would get you know, how you get political mail from all the politicians they usually throw away. I'm not talking about the bullets that mail. That mail would come in from the bulk mail offices that are usually in the delivery units, all these smaller offices, and they would be in containers rolling containers that would be marked political mail. And when that came out the truck, we would log each mailing and a log book on the dock it would say you know, Joe Schmoe, and each mail piece would have a title like I'm going to lower your taxes, and it'd be the day and time that we got that mailing, and if it was a letter or a magazine size mail piece, and we'd send it out on the worklow four to be processed. And when it got to the processing area, there was another log book and it would say what time it was processed and when it was dispatched, you know. And I even worked in Like I said, I was in the post office for thirty four years, and for several years I worked at a bulk mail office, and the Friday before an election was referred to as black Friday because that was the cutoff time that politicians could drop off political mailing. And once that bulk mail office was closed on Friday prior to the election, they couldn't mail anymore political mailing. And after every election, like clockwork, we would have every losing politician coming into the poste looking for their mail, claiming that we lost their mail. I swear to God, every swing in.
Speaker 1: One, which one had the biggest meltdown?
Speaker 3: Oh it's always a Democrat.
Speaker 1: You know. Okay, So if there is a piece of mail, let's go ahead no.
Speaker 3: And say, for instance, because you know a lot of the mails processed through automation on machines, and sometimes mail gets damaged, you know, through processing, it gets jammed in the machine and mail pieces get damaged. Then you got to process those machines or those mail pieces manually. All that's logged in, right, so when you get political mail, it's damaged. All that mail, you know, everything is logged in in a log book. So those politicians would be coming in and they would say they want to look at all the logbooks. How many pieces of their mail were damaged, you know, and processed manually, and it would just be a fiasco. You know. If they lost by ten thousand votes and twenty pieces of their mail got damaged during processing, it was a post office's fall because they lost, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's talk about the time it takes for something to get to its destination. If you put a ballot in the mail somewhere in the state of California, how long should it take to get to the registrar's office in the county that you vote in two days max.
Speaker 3: Two days max. I guarantee you if I put a ballot anywhere in Orange County, anywhere in Orange County on Monday, it would be at the Register's office on Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Now, let's just say you're in the military, you are a student studying abroad.
Speaker 3: Your priority, then express mail? Okay on you right now?
Speaker 1: Ballots coming from overseas, though, how long should that take for those ballots to get there if you drop it off in Spain or whatever.
Speaker 3: I'm not really sure. I know they go through San Francisco, they've got overseas I think he goes through San Francisco. But there's specially they got different delivery times for overseas mail. But I'm sure it's the same thing. They give them the highest priority. I guarantee there's a zero delay, zero delay.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, thank you so much for the call. I really appreciate you loaning us your expertise, sir.
Speaker 3: And one more thing, my wife is working. She's also a retired postal employee. She was a postal inspector for over twenty years. And we're both bored because we're retired. But I'm not bored enough to work. But every time there's an election, she volunteers to work for the Register's office, and she's been doing that in Santa Anna this year. She's scheduled the work through the end of the month, and I just talked to her about it. Now. I talked to her about an hour ago. I said, what are you guys doing. Well, we're running mail, I said below me, I said, you guys are sitting around eating doughnuts. I guarantee you. And I told her, I said, you'd better watch out because I said the DOJ is coming today. See you guys, better be busy.
Speaker 1: I love it. Thank you for the call, sir. Let's go to Sharon in Riverside. Sharon, Hello, I'm not Sharon dropped. Okay, Let's go to Larry and Hayward. Larry welcome.
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks guys.
Speaker 4: I've done this three times where I'll get to register by mail. I did it once like twenty years ago, ten years ago, in about three years ago, made up a name, made up a social Security number, used my own address, and they registered me to vote under that name, and I'd get multiples and they'd send me the ballot in the mail. Now, that was obviously disturbing, but then about a month later, I want them. I got a thing from the Justice Department and they were calling me for drury duty under the spectitious name I made.
Speaker 2: Up so huge Azz had to report for jury duty.
Speaker 4: I didn't report, but I got a thing wanted us for jury duty under the name I made up, and obviously very disturbing, and it's got me involved in years and years ago, and I've told people about it, and I've done it. I hang on to the ballots. I never use them. I still have them in my file at home, going back a few years. But the system is that stupid and people don't seem now. Let me point out two other things. One other things in the original days, not that I did this. When the original days, when you voted you had a precincts that they would purposely put the precincts more than a day's ride on horseback apart, so you can only vote at one place. That made sense. That's why I had one voting day for voting. Well with all the electronics nowadays, that they could keep practive when you voted. So if you're in LA and you need a vote in San Francisco, you could go to any place and it should be show your ID. They could bring every thing out, issue you a ballot and vote, and they shouldn't have it probably be you know, four days of vote or five days of vote so everybody could get in and technically we don't have a secret ballot anymore. People say, well, yes, we did.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: Originally, when you voted, it was illegal for you to show anybody your ballot and how you voted, because that meant people could buy your vote. I'll vote for you, pay me fifty bucks and improve it. Now I couldn't get to fifty bucks. Give them my ballot and they can mail. They know they got their vote. So it is so as excuse me, it is so stupid what they're doing, and they don't seem to want to do a thing about it either side. And it's not that it would change an election. It's that it takes credibility out of election and that is super sad. So hopefully the FEDS will do something right.
Speaker 1: Thank thank you for the call, sir. I appreciate it. Eight hundred two two two five two two two. He is a telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. I'll tell you something else we shouldn't do with our elections here in California. We shouldn't allow a month and a half of an election season. We should vote on one day and that's it. What do you think would have happened if the Eric Swolwell story broke midway through election season.
Speaker 2: Well, considering that he got twenty thousand votes when the story broke in April.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what would have happened if he won that election. Imagine that. Imagine going on a month and a half and they go, guess what, Democrats your nominees an accused rapist. Could you imagine what heads would be exploding? They're about to do this in Maine, by the way.
Speaker 2: Well he's not being accused of rape, but he's being accused of a whole lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: Not rape, but everything else. And let me tell you there are enough red flags right now where there could be trouble on the horizon. But the voting's been going on, and my guess is they're going to end up with this guy. But what do you do if you find out you want no public association with him after the month and a half of voting, and it's I guess at that point of marriage, wouldn't you want a mulligan on that one? I would. But if he's elected, he's elected. If it happens in one day, at least you have some time to vet the guy. All right, let's go back to the phones and welcome Key in San Francisco. Key, Hello, Hi.
Speaker 5: Thanks for taking like Yeah, Tom, I just want to let you guys know that about the election. I told you guys to last of twenty twenty four election during Trump election. MANI elections that are still getting my brothers in law ballot. I cannot even get rid of it. He couldn't even get rid of it. He already living in Texas for the last six years.
Speaker 1: And does he vote in Texas.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's already moving in Texas, Austin, Texas before COVID or no during COVID.
Speaker 1: So we're talking years ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Towny twenty has already moved to Austin, Texas, and we're still getting his ballots.
Speaker 1: And you notified the registrar saying stop sending it, and they send it anyway.
Speaker 5: Yes, So both office tell every every possible still getting it yep. Now, second of all is if that's just happening to my brother in law, what happened to my parents that used to live in Sacramento on the retirement home. Uh you know, of course of living type in cheap adult home. They has all but almost like thirty stories and they were gone out of the country and that passed away. My mom passed away. The last one was over four years ago. I'm just wondering they're still getting the email from that retirement home because we don't get their mail. You know, they sent it directly over there when they were in this country, but they already left the country. And uh. And in that they called the Lung Center in Sacramento. Where we found out also is during every election there's somebody coming in from somewhere, a volunteer, trying to teach them how to properly, you know, fill out the ballot. And one year and I look at the ballot because my mom asked, uh, you know, heard what I'm saying. So my mom said, no, this is what they told us to fill out. So I look at it and say, yeah. We have a workshop during every election and we go to the conference room everybody, and they tell us how to make a sample of the vote, you know, the paper, how to fill out the ballot the proper way so they don't get rejected. And I looked at they say here, here, here's a sample, and I look at it. It's all for Democrats. Obama. They fill it out. Oh, fill it out already. That's all I said, is just we just have to pop in and fign it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you are a vulnerable population, if you are living in an assisted living for facility, let's say, or let's say you're eighteen years old, you're living with your parents, and your parents have very strong political views, maybe even different from yours. If you get the ballot in the mail, you don't really have a secret ballot because if there's someone domineering in the house that you live in, they can say we're doing it together, or do it in front of me, and they can make sure you vote the quote unquote right way.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: But this is not quite assistant living, just so low cost housing so to speak for mostly a foreigner immigrants, OK, like my parents. They're supposed to come over there as to show them properly to fill out the phone like you, well, you signed it, you know, or you open it, but you don't market.
Speaker 1: All For Democrats, they're supposed to be able to vote for who they want to vote for.
Speaker 5: Exactly. But they told them to use this sample with already has a muck on it. And I said, including proposition and I and I told them. I said, this is wrong, and my mom said, well, that's why they told us to fill out. So this is why we fill out. I say every year, they're doing this.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you for the call, sir, I appreciate it. Eight hundred two two two five two two two is the telephone number one. Eight hundred two two two five two two two. We'll take more of your phone calls, and former Senator Melissa Melendez joins us, don't you go anywhere