Speaker 1: Speaking up in all caps. For those that don't, the red caps.
Speaker 2: It's the John Phillips Show.
Speaker 3: And we continue at 2.05 in the afternoon on the John Phillips Show. Mr. Randy Wiggs in Culver City.
Speaker 4: Johnny, we are broadcasting live on the radio on 790k ABC and 810k SFO, and we're also broadcasting live on video. You can watch us do this show every single day at johnnydontlike.com. That's Johnny with a Y, johnnydontlike.com. That is where you can see us do the show, react to the stories along with us, play around in the very filthy at times chat room, vote in our poll. What is the most useless word? Accountability or affordability? Accountability is winning. We're here until three o'clock.
Speaker 3: A lot of reaction to that interview that we just did with Angela Marsden. A lot of people upset over what's going on, not just to her, but the other small business owners in the area. And it just seems like the push that we're seeing right now, coming not only from City Hall but from Sacramento, is that they just don't want the homeowners here. They don't want the small business owners here. They want us all gone to make way for Chinese investors to come in and dump a ton of money into high-density housing. That's what they want. That, to them, is the future of California.
Speaker 4: And there's no plan for the fallout of a business owner that's been paying taxes and supporting jobs in this community for years and years and years and years. When the developer decides to buy a property and evict all of the tenants that have been paying, that have been contributing to the economy, nothing. There's no support. Nithya Raman is the city council person for that district. And Nithya Raman is running for mayor based on her record of all the eviction protections and tenant protections that she's had for people living in apartments. But there seems to be no protections or even the city caring at all when small businesses are getting evicted in the name of all of this development.
Speaker 5: They don't even care.
Speaker 3: No, no. And she's so right, Angela is, when she talks about that small businesses like hers are are the fabric of society. I mean, they are how we experience these areas. And in a place like Southern California, where there's just not a whole lot of history, it's special places like that that people remember when they travel here, when they come here from another state, from another country. They remember those iconic restaurants. I can't tell you the number of times people say, how in the world did we let the Brown Derby go away? How did we let chasins go away? How did we let so many of these old-time Hollywood fixtures just evaporate into the night sky when so much of our history took place there?
Speaker 4: It's just, we're losing so many things that make Los Angeles unique. You go to the Pineapple Hill, which I frequent. I go there, you know, usually on Tuesdays for trivia. it is such a throwback to the old kind of bar that you don't really see because almost everything in Los Angeles is just another chain that's repeating itself. It's such a unique place and taking that away. It is heartbreaking. Um, make sure if you weren't already thinking of coming out next Friday, come out not only to support us and to support, uh, prop 43, but come support Angela, come support the pineapple Hill and, you've got any ideas, any connections on what we can do to save this business. I don't know if there is anything that we can do, but let's start thinking about it. They're going to be operating for at least the next month and a half or so. So get down there, go enjoy yourself, whether it's trivia Tuesday, wing Wednesday, whatever. I love that place. And I'm sure you all love it too. Let's show them our support more than ever. Not only just for Angela, the bartenders, the waiters that work there, because a lot of people are going to be out of a job in just a couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: 800-222-5222 is the telephone number. It is our pleasure to welcome our next guest to the program. She is the professor of political science emeritus at California State University at Fullerton, Professor Barbara Stone. Welcome.
Speaker 6: Good afternoon, John.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you so much for being here. So I want to read a tweet for you and have you respond to it because I get a ton of e-mails from people in the city of Los Angeles who voted for Spencer Pratt for mayor, who now are looking at a November ballot that has socialist Nithya Raman and incumbent failed mayor Karen Bass on it, and they don't know what to do. The number one question I get is, can they write in Spencer Pratt? The answer is no. The city of Los Angeles will not allow those votes to be counted. So that leaves them with the question of, What do they do? Do they vote for Rahman? Do they vote for Bass? Or do they leave it blank? Here is what longtime L.A.-based Democratic strategist Michael Trujillo tweeted on that subject. Quote, the race for mayor of Los Angeles will be decided by all of us for sure in L.A., but the San Fernando Valley, like it or not, is the swing vote. And it's not the first time they've had this position. In 2005, former Valley Assemblyman, soon-to-be state senator Bob Hertzberg, came in third and supported former ACLU president Antonio Villaraigosa for mayor, which brought out the Valley vote for him. Fast forward to 2013, Kevin James, a local talk radio host, formerly with KABC, came in third with his base being Republican voters in the San Fernando Valley. He endorsed Rhodes Scholar Eric Garcetti for mayor. which put him over the top. You may not like it, but the reality is reality star Spencer Pratt and his base vote in the San Fernando Valley is key to whoever becomes mayor this year. This is a nonpartisan race, not a Democratic primary.
Speaker 6: And so you're going down the road. What do you do if you... are an L.A. voter and are not totally nuts, right?
Speaker 3: Pretty much.
Speaker 6: Okay, I have a question before I offer up a... All I can do is tell you what I would seriously consider doing, and by the way, what I seriously consider doing was never living in that city. Actually, excuse me, never owning property in that city. Actually, has Spencer Pratt said anything?
Speaker 3: He has attacked both of the candidates and says he has information on one of the two that will destroy their political career that he's going to release after the election.
Speaker 6: That's interesting. So he's looking to thinking maybe there'll be a, be a vacancy or something like that. Fine. Then he's playing that game. But from his point of view, there's nothing to be gained by supporting one or the other. Um, I will go back in the two cases Trujillo was talking about. Actually, while neither of those were particularly good mayors compared to what's on the ballot this time, man, they were models of sanity. I guess if I didn't already know that Karen Bass is... Really, really stupid. Well, that bothers me. You know, at least Garcetti was not stupid. Antonio was not stupid. This woman is. And so you can't expect anything good out of her. And interestingly enough, I've paid enough attention to the ramen woman. Man, this is called a race to the bottom. So it's the, John, what I think I would do, I never don't vote, if that makes any sense. It just somehow, I know they won't count it. I probably would go vote and vote for Spencer Pratt anyway.
Speaker 3: Here's the way I see it. Under no circumstances would I ever vote for a DSA candidate. I just wouldn't. I believe in capitalism.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, that takes care of that.
Speaker 3: Private property rights, public safety, which means you can't vote for them. So Rahman's a no-go, which means you're left with two options. You can vote for the failed mayor, or you can leave the ballot blank. And it kind of puts Pratt voters in the old life jacket ethical dilemma, where you're on the boat with a limited number of life jackets, and one of the people in the water is Karen Bass. And the question is, do you turn around and go to Ghana because the fire chief never told you the surf would be high?
Speaker 6: You're hitting on something that seems to me unbelievably relevant, that you go, well, surely she would be better than a democratic socialist. Hmm, maybe. But in terms of anything that local government is supposed to be doing..
Speaker 2: Uh..
Speaker 6: And you just mentioned one of them Try Public Safety. She's a disaster. If you want to vote for her on the basis that you just can't give the DSA a victory here, and after all, I really don't want government-run grocery stores, then you can justify it on the basis but i'm not going to guarantee you it's going to stay this way that at least she hired a decent police chief and while they may not be building the department at least she hasn't abolished it and so maybe she's not quite as well the other one's going to be horrible and and whether or not bath she won't improve don't fool yourself But if you can go, well, I can look at that little corner. I can look at a few other corners. Just don't go near Boyle Heights. I can justify voting for her, but it really, really, really wouldn't make me happy. Anyhow.
Speaker 3: Let's shift gears.
Speaker 6: Let me do one last thing. Part of it where I suspect but do not know, really don't know, is that there was room here for Bass to reach out to at least some Pratt voters about going vote for me. I'm not as awful as she is. Now, this is where my knowledge is limited, but I saw no sign of that. So that's no sign that she's planning on reforming. Okay, shift gears.
Speaker 3: What you said is correct. I asked Roxanne Hogue, who's the chairwoman of the L.A. County Republican Party, if Bass has reached out to her. She said no.
Speaker 6: Okay, you do not reward that. I'm sorry, John. I'm going to sound weird, but you don't reward that.
Speaker 8: Okay, hi.
Speaker 6: What other topic do we have?
Speaker 3: Okay, so last week I had Chuck Todd on, formerly of Meet the Press, and... I talked to him about the race in San Francisco to replace Nancy Pelosi. And he said Nancy Pelosi is one of the shrewdest political operators that he's ever seen in Washington, D.C., and the MVP for the Democratic Party for years and years and years. That being said, her biggest character flaw is if you wrong her, she will remember it for the rest of her life In fact, it might be the only thing that she thinks about when your name comes up, and she cannot get beyond that. And at some point in his past, he said that he had offended her, and he's run into that kind of trouble with her himself. When I asked him about what she's doing in San Francisco this time around, because she does not like Scott Weiner. Scott Weiner, the state senator who's running to replace her, announced that he was running before she said she wasn't seeking another term. She wanted to hand the seat off to her daughter. I guess his poll numbers were strong enough, his fundraising was strong enough, his endorsements were strong enough that led her to believe that she couldn't pass the seat to her daughter, which really upset her. So he is on Nancy Pelosi's list. And instead of doing the things that a former speaker, the first female speaker, would do for the last six months while she's on her way out, She is spending every waking moment trying to get him. And he said, Chuck Todd, that this is her spending her last six months indulging herself in her worst impulses.
Speaker 6: Why is anybody surprised? Seriously. It's funny how things stick in your mind about people. And I remember Nancy comes from a good East Coast machine politics family. That's how you play it. I don't actually think she'll cut the head off any horses and put them on his bed, but I wouldn't put it past her. Well, would you?
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 6: So what do you expect? Now, what Todd told you sounds like, well, she could be doing good things instead of this. Like what?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 6: Democrats are a minority in the House. They're hoping they're going to be a majority, but she's not going to be part of it. There's nothing she's holding together or doing or organizing. And I would actually think she'd stay away from the internal arguments over the Democratic Socialists. So what's a good party? political machine lady supposed to do you go out and you have the people who've wronged you from your point of view even i knew and i don't pay that much attention to san francisco politics even i knew that the word was all over she wanted to pass it to her daughter and when he got in the way fine but he better be able to beat her and i'm sure at this point it's him versus her and uh... There's some interesting things, John, going on in that party that are going to affect this over and beyond her. By the way, part of it is the wild anti-Semitism that's shown up in the Democratic left. It's been there, but oh my goodness. So I just don't understand why anybody's thinking this is newsworthy.
Speaker 3: Go back to that for a second, because the DSA is now on the ascendancy in that party. And they're winning all over the country. It started out in New York with Mamdani's election, but we've seen it happen in various House races across the country where wartime incumbents, including Democrats who you would not regard as a blue dog at all, two of them were House impeachment managers, went down in defeat to DSA candidates. We just had an election here in California to replace disgraced former Congressman Eric Swalwell. and the DSA candidate won that too. You mentioned anti-Semitism. Do you think that the anti-Semitism that had been bubbling around those circles came to the forefront because of the DSA, where I guess the DSA gave them permission to make those private conversations public and part of the dialogue in that party?
Speaker 6: I actually believe that, and believe it or not, Hamas invading Israel in the public way is what set this all off. But anti-Semitism, John, has been there in that party for years. I remember the not-so-wonderful Jesse Jackson talking about Hymies in Hymietown. He meant Jews in New York. On the left, for whatever reason... That's been there quite a while, but we'd have to be probably smarter than we are to go why invading Israel and killing and naming babies inspired the left to come forward and find it acceptable to be anti-Semitic. By the way, it's not only on the left, but they certainly are there. I think it's something that has been there and that popped to the fore because of what's going on in the Middle East. But I could make a big thing, but I don't really want to, about you always have to have somebody who you can blame for everything. And I think it was Hannah Arendt who talked about the problem with Jews since the Middle Ages is they are wealthy, they are obvious, but they also are weak, and people come for them.
Speaker 3: Last question before you go. In that special election to replace Eric Swalwell, the Democratic caucus from California, which is run by Zoe Lofgren, told the DSA candidate not to run, in part because they wanted to fill that seat as quickly as possible because the House is so evenly divided, and if it went to a runoff, the vacancy would last longer. Her response to Zoe Lofgren was, what's in it for me? And then she ran anyway and then ended up winning. What do you think those internal meetings are going to be like if they're telling people it's not your turn, don't run, and then they try to get a pound of flesh out of them, it never materializes, and they run and win anyway?
Speaker 6: Let's put it this way. I'm glad that's not my political party.
Speaker 9: Uh..
Speaker 6: We have our own problems but not john is going to be wild i've got to have one little caveat here because the people you were talking about the dsa people and i'll try to hurry who won mostly one in overwhelmingly cannot lose democrat districts and they will go there and they will join the squad all those truly rational wonderful people who are already there They will see themselves, and I think you probably have it right, it'll look like they're great philosophers or scientists. but they're out to extract all kinds of stuff. How important they remain, I truly believe, will be decided by the statewide races. The few of them where people associated with people like them, or just with Assange Piker, are running for, like, Senate seats. Let's use the guy in Michigan. If he can succeed, then they're just going to run over the quote-unquote establishment. But it's only in very safe districts. Actually, I recommend you go back and see the influence of the Tea Party and our party, and they'll have an influence, but it won't be nearly what they want.
Speaker 3: All right. We're going to have to leave it there. Professor Barbara Stone, Professor of political science emeritus at Cal State Fullerton. Thanks so much for stopping by.
Speaker 6: Always good to talk to you.
Speaker 3: And if you want to watch us perform the show live, go to johnnydontlike.com and click that like button.
Speaker 4: We're already at, I think, over 300 likes for today's show, and that tells YouTube to push us out to new people. We're at 340 likes. Y'all are killing it. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: And tomorrow, the newest edition of the Accountability Podcast drops.
Speaker 4: Johnny and I are joined by Jennifer Van Laar to talk the tire thing, Gavin Newsom's weird real estate deal, and the war on reporters in Sacramento.
Speaker 3: And we had Angela Marsden from Pineapple Hill on the program earlier today. She's going to host us at a restaurant in the San Fernando Valley soon. If you want to join us, please come.
Speaker 5: It's a week from Friday.
Speaker 4: Our live broadcast at the Pineapple Hill Saloon and Grill might be the last one we ever get to do, so make sure you come join us at the Pineapple Hill in Sherman Oaks off of Van Nuys in Millbank on Friday, September 4th from noon to 3.
Speaker 3: Let's go to John in Pasadena. John, hello.
Speaker 10: Hey, good afternoon, guys. Great show as always. Randy, you may know more. I don't know, John, if you know, but Palermo's It was a business that had been in town for 50 years. My brother-in-law, Tony, just recently passed away July 10th while on vacation. But my point is, it was so hard for him to maintain that business with the price of, for instance, a case of tomatoes would go from $ 18. 22 to $ 85 to $ 95 and so on and so forth. But with that said, I don't know the people that run our governance here are even aware of it or even trying to do anything to combat that. I'm sure the lady from Pineapple Hill must know the margins involved today in restaurants are terrible. And that's why places like Little Joe's, the Derby, other Sate's restaurant, Baragon's, Michael's on Lost Fields, a lot of businesses has just gone out of, just can't keep up with it And it was a struggle the last three years, pronouncedly. And so, Randy, I don't know, had you ever been to Palermo's on Vermont and Franklin?
Speaker 4: Oh, many, many, many times. And, you know, Tony's daughter, Michelle, is a friend of mine. I love that place, and I was so sorry to hear about Tony passing away.
Speaker 3: They used to give you wine if you had to wait for a table.
Speaker 10: Well, his competitor, and I'm not going to name names, but you can figure out who it is, they fainted on him because it was so... it was so successful. There'd be anywhere from a half hour, an hour and a half wait, but it wasn't just the free wine is Randy. And I think, you know, uh, John, it was the food. Amazing, amazing food. And yes, Michelle, my niece, she's, she's a fabulous young lady. And I think the family's still reeling from trying to get through the, uh, it wasn't expected at all. It just wasn't expected, but, uh, he had planned on reopening this past 12th, last Wednesday. And, uh, It's a, it's a shame that it's, it's, we don't know what's going to happen, so I can just leave it at that. But Randy, I look forward to seeing you and John out of pineapple Hill a week from Friday. Thanks for taking my call. And, uh, I think my brother, Tony deserves a lot of, a lot of credit and I, I not going to go too far, but he had bass and Nithya Raman come in before the elections with Pratt. And, uh, as you know, my, my brother-in-law, he was a registered Democrat. And he ran for governor, by the way. But they came into his restaurant, and he had some pretty interesting things to tell them. He would always shake his head that we had an avowed Marxist and Basque and an avowed socialist like Nithya Raman actually trying to run the city, and neither one of them have ever run a business. So do the math on that or square that any way you can. But love your show. Thank you, guys. And I'll talk to you again.
Speaker 4: We'll see you next Friday, and John, we're so sorry for your loss. Tony was a legend.
Speaker 3: Let's go to Kenneth in Sherman Oaks. Kenneth, hello.
Speaker 8: Actually, I was going to talk, since you brought up Palermo, the one thing that Palermo has going for it, I hope they do reopen, is that I happen to know, I knew Tony as well, they own the land. When a restaurant owns the land, not just rents on the land, but owns the land itself, they're their own landlord. it's easier to keep the restaurant open. So I'm hoping because that I happen to know the Fanaras own the land that, I mean, I know they're reeling from his death, but I hope at least the family will keep it open or sell it to someone who will. My question about the Pineapple Hill is, if they have to leave, is she going to do like a GoFundMe to find another location? Because I'm sure they can raise a lot of money just from this show alone, and they could find a new location. And if all those other businesses are going to close, like the donut shop, will like In-N-Out have to leave there also, or because they're a big corporation company, that In-N-Out right by the Pineapple Hill, they'll get to stay there. What do you think is going to happen with that?
Speaker 4: From what I've heard from the people that work there, the In-N-Out gets to stay and everyone else has to get out, and they're trying to figure out what to do. I don't know if Angela has plans for anything like that, but the best thing you can do is you're right down near there. Go down there this week, hang out, say hi, and maybe we can start coming up with some ideas here.
Speaker 8: I really will. She really should start an In-N-Out because even when a business closes a location, sometimes people will create a GoFummy for a new location, like that restaurant Toy on Sunset as a GoFummy to save that restaurant. I can't imagine she wouldn't be able to raise a heck of a lot of money as well. And I just don't think it's fair to small businesses. Even though I love In-N-Out, the small businesses like that donut shop and the water place have to leave as well as her, but not the In-N-Out.
Speaker 10: Wait a second.
Speaker 5: Kenneth, Toy is going out of business too? I love that place.
Speaker 8: No, toys doing a GoFundMe so they don't go out of business. That Thai restaurant, Sunset Strip, they have a GoFundMe. It was on the news. So I figured if they could do a GoFundMe, she could do a GoFundMe for a new location if she's being evicted from the old location. I mean, GoFundMe has saved so many businesses, and I really think she should look into that more very heavily, and I think she'll find a new spot.
Speaker 3: What does that tell you about the climate in this state right now? Where you have to have GoFundMes for businesses to keep them around because the government is so hostile and they just can't catch a break any way they turn.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean, it's just, it's a hostile climate to business. They need to make, you know, I support, actually, I'm a renter, so I support renter protections, but they should also have protections for the small businesses if they're going to have protections for the renters, have protections for both. And I'm really worried about this, that Scott Wiener guy, they're just going to just destroy small businesses and just build, you know, these apartments everywhere and not even, you know, affordable apartments, but $ 8, 000 a month apartments. It's really changed the character of Los Angeles. I'm a fourth generation Los Angelino, and it's hurting me what's happening to my city, you know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a shame. They're destroying it. Thank you for the call, sir. Let's go to Scott in Studio City. Scott, hello.
Speaker 2: Hello, guys. How are you?
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I was thinking about this. Would you guys agree that it was probably the late 80s, early 90s where things in L.A. really took a dump? I mean, the overall feel of the city, the fun, the excitement. I mean, I remember the French Marketplace on Laurel, Santa Monica, Ben Frank's Coffee Shop, TikTok on Coinga, Shakers in Glendale. Shakers, where I used to see Larry Elder, of all guys, at the coffee shop at Shakers. You guys remember these places?
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah. Oh, yeah. The French Market was huge for brunch on Sundays.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 2: And I think they were owned by the same owner, Ben Franks on Sunset. I heard that back then. But yeah, how about Greenblatt's Deli? They died during COVID.
Speaker 5: 100 years.
Speaker 2: One of the best delis I've ever had in my life. Saw more celebrities there than on TV. It was amazing. But I just want to say thank you. You guys, you're talking about all this stuff and you're stirring up feelings and emotions inside and everybody's getting amped up. And I i actually got tears in my eyes listening to angela so yeah anyway i that's it thanks guys i really love your.
Speaker 3: Show well thank you for the call i appreciate it he said the 1980s when was when things started going downhill.
Speaker 5: So when i was born.
Speaker 3: You were the Grim Reaper, let's just face it. But I think what happened is that when the Cold War ended and all the military bases started closing and the defense industry started moving out and the aerospace industry started moving out, that's when things started to decline. And then it was the dot-com boom that saved us, but that was more centered in Northern California and Southern California, but we all reaped the benefits because the state was flush with money and people were doing well and people were paying capital gains taxes. All these jobs started popping up in the tech world that never existed before. And that kind of saved us. And in Los Angeles with Dick Reardon's election and with LA Live and Staples Center and the Disney Concert Hall and everything that popped up downtown, that gave people a jolt of B-12 that made people happy to live here again and things I thought were moving along swimmingly for a while until we started decriminalizing drugs. When we started decriminalizing drugs and 47, 57 prison realignment, all of those things, that's when things started to go to hell again. That's when you notice the encampments. That's when you notice the retail theft. That's when suddenly the, physical appearance of the state started to degrade. That's when you noticed the trash everywhere and they just stopped caring. And it seems like COVID accelerated that. And COVID was particularly hard on the school kids and was particularly hard on the restaurants. It hit those two groups harder than just about anyone. And the restaurants clearly haven't recovered yet.
Speaker 4: It changed so many people's behavior where so many people were used to going out. Some people still don't, and maybe they're addicted to DoorDash, and you think that helps the restaurants. It doesn't because a lot of restaurants lose money on DoorDash.
Speaker 5: It's just it is.
Speaker 4: Becoming harder and harder and harder, and the city and the county and the state are nowhere to help these businesses thrive. They just figure out ways to make it harder and harder and harder for them to do business while making it easier and easier for competition like street vendors to do whatever the hell they want.
Speaker 3: All right, when we return, we're going to tell you about Gavin Newsom selling his house. Where is Robin Leach when you need him now? If you'd like to watch us perform the show live, go to johnnydontlike.com and hit that like button. Let's get it over 400 today.
Speaker 5: And the subscriber numbers are also growing.
Speaker 4: Johnny, we're almost at 5,500 subscribers, which means we got to figure out what our goal is going to be when we hit 10,000.
Speaker 3: Gavin Newsom has announced that he is selling his house in the Sacramento area. And I mentioned Robin Leach before, who was the host of the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. You know, for the longest time, Randy, I thought he was some rich guy. And then I found out through my friend Mike Walker, who was the gossip editor of the National Enquirer, that that's not in fact true. That Robin Leach was a tabloid reporter who got the hosting gig on that show. Oh, my.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Did not know that.
Speaker 4: Well, for more on Gavin selling his place for seven and a half mil, well, if that's what he thinks he can get for it, here is CBS News in Sacramento.
Speaker 11: Governor Newsom on the move. Before he sets his sights on the White House, he's selling his house.
Speaker 1: A Fair Oaks mansion.
Speaker 4: Maybe you want to get the job before you move.
Speaker 3: That looks like a college campus.
Speaker 11: Going for a record high asking price for that area.
Speaker 8: $ 7.
Speaker 1: 5 million.
Speaker 7: That's double the price the home went for just a few years ago. Newsom and his family initially moved into the old governor's mansion in downtown Sacramento, as we call up our ARVR map here on the floor.
Speaker 11: So that didn't last long. So that needed too much work.
Speaker 5: That wasn't nice enough for him.
Speaker 3: Oh, no.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 3: Only the best for Mr. Gavin.
Speaker 4: By the way, Gavin, who wants to go after all the people working remotely... Moved an hour away.
Speaker 7: So let's go to Steve Large now. We'll look inside the Fair Oaks mansion. Now up for sale.
Speaker 12: And the governor's home is tucked just behind these gates right here.
Speaker 1: It is simply massive with tennis courts and a pool.
Speaker 4: He's the governor. Governor doesn't make that much money. How exactly? I mean, I know the wife has money, but what's going on here?
Speaker 3: That's a very good question because doesn't he own a second house in Marin County?
Speaker 10: Yes.
Speaker 1: Serves as a reminder for the next governor.
Speaker 5: Plump Jack can't be doing that well.
Speaker 3: Must be moving a lot of wine.
Speaker 1: They'll have to do their own house hunting.
Speaker 12: Governor Gavin Newsom is saying goodbye to his sprawling 12,000 square foot Fair Oaks home.
Speaker 4: How many families could we house in that one building? Yeah, let's put a bunch of bums up there with him. And notice how you don't see a lot of high-rise developments.
Speaker 5: In that area.
Speaker 12: Photos show the spectacular interior, including a 5,000-bottle wine cellar that doubles as a library.
Speaker 4: Well, we always knew Gavin had a little bit of an issue with the Alkies.
Speaker 3: Hmm.
Speaker 9: I know their dog escaped one time and their daughter went to find it. And one of our neighbors walked them back to the house.
Speaker 1: Neighbor Sally Dunbar saved the letter.
Speaker 4: Do you remember this was in the middle of COVID where Gavin starts ranting in the middle of a press conference, how he and his daughter were going to his neighbor's houses asking for eggs and they were slamming their door on his face.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they hated him over the COVID lockdowns.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 12: Wrote her that includes a handwritten apology for protesters who showed up on their block.
Speaker 9: Hard to read his writing. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 5: Hey, Gavin has a worse signature than I do.
Speaker 9: Sorry about all the disruption I have brought to the neighborhood.
Speaker 6: All my best, Gavin.
Speaker 12: It's a momentum that you could pass down and keep in the family for generations, right?
Speaker 11: Sure, yeah.
Speaker 9: This is definitely flirting with the very top of the housing market in the region.
Speaker 1: Real estate appraiser Ryan Lundquist is watching.
Speaker 4: What does this say about the inside information that, let's say, the highfalutin have about where the real estate market is going if Gavin's selling because he thinks there's about to be a big downturn?
Speaker 3: Well, it also leads to the question, how does someone on a civil servant salary afford something like that in the first place?
Speaker 12: To see how many possible buyers will try and meet the asking price for the Newsom home. The Newsoms bought it for a Fair Oaks record $ 3. 9 million in 2018. That record still stands as it now hits the market for $ 7.
Speaker 1: 5 million. This is outlier territory.
Speaker 4: There's California's affordability crisis encapsulated. The price of Gavin's home doubled.
Speaker 5: In eight years.
Speaker 1: People compete at this level.
Speaker 12: Newsom's home sale and move out of Sacramento sets up the revolving residence question.
Speaker 1: For the next California governor. Where will they live?
Speaker 3: Remarkably, California does not provide its governor with a residence.
Speaker 4: Why do we do that anyway for any of these elected offices outside of, I don't know, the White House?
Speaker 3: I think Karen Bass has the Getty house that she can live in, right?
Speaker 5: She does. But we could be putting up families there.
Speaker 1: And work for Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Speaker 12: Neither Schwarzenegger nor Jerry Brown owned homes in Sacramento. Schwarzenegger famously rented the top floor of the Hyatt Regency Hotel while Brown rented.
Speaker 5: What do you think was going on in that top floor?
Speaker 3: Lots of room service.
Speaker 12: Apartment in midtown Sacramento before renovating and briefly moving into the historic governor's mansion downtown.
Speaker 3: The problem is no one wants to be the governor that comes in and.
Speaker 11: Says, hey, taxpayers, buy me a house to live in.
Speaker 1: And so it's become a bit of a political.
Speaker 5: Like Becerra would.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah. No, he has no problem doing that.
Speaker 2: Difficult.
Speaker 3: Uh..
Speaker 12: Question sally dunbar hopes whoever the next governor is they might.
Speaker 1: Consider making this their home to.
Speaker 9: Has a tennis court has swimming pool great neighbors awesome neighbors have to say governor newsom's.
Speaker 4: Spokesperson look at all of the recreation in that house that gavin does not use to spend time with his kids.
Speaker 3: And a massive wine cellar for a guy who went to rehab It.
Speaker 12: Says that the family has been splitting time between this Fair Oaks home and the Marin County home.
Speaker 4: Hey, another encapsulation of California's housing crisis. Highfalutin Gavin owns two homes.
Speaker 1: His term is coming.
Speaker 3: To an end.
Speaker 12: This sale was the next step towards transitioning out of the governor's office.
Speaker 4: So there you go. You got seven and a half million dollars. You can buy Gavin's house.
Speaker 3: He probably had to get rid of that before he ran for president. Because he's going to go to these southern states and midwestern states and try to present himself as the child of a single mom. from a hardscrabble upbringing. And it's going to be hard to portray yourself as that guy when you live in that mansion.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but he still has the other mansion.
Speaker 3: All right, that's going to do it for us today, but we'll be back tomorrow at noon for another edition of The John Phillips Show.