Speaker 1: Some might label us right wing.
Speaker 2: We we say clip our wings and just call us right.
Speaker 1: It's the John Phillip Show and very Happy Tuesday to you at twelve oh seven in the West, It's the John at Phillips Show. Mister Randy Weggs in Culver City.
Speaker 3: John, We're broadcasting live on the radio, seven ninety KABC in southern California, eight ten KSFO in the Bay Area, and now we broadcast live on video every single day. You can watch us in our studios, react to the videos along with us, and play around in the lively chat room by going to Johnny don't Like dot Com. It works on your phone, it works on your web browser. Johnny Don't Like dot Com takes you right to the YouTube channel. While you're there, make sure you subscribe. Hit the bell so you're notified every time we go live, and hit that like button the thumbs up so YouTube knows that this show is popular.
Speaker 1: Eight hundred two two two five two two two is the telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. Well. The top story today is that the California Democratic Party officially endorsed the wealth confiscation text that's going to be on the November ballot, and Randy, as soon as I saw that, I thought to myself, great, as a state, if the Democratic Party gets their way, we're going to kick out all the productive people and we're going to keep all the losers. And if you want to know what happens when you do that, you talk to any Clipper fan from the nineteen eighties or now. That true.
Speaker 3: So there was a couple of instances where there was a little opposition to this, but ultimately the party endorsed Prop forty the Billionaire's Tax, despite opposition from who you could argue are the two most prominent figures in the California Democrat Party, one being Gavin Newsome.
Speaker 1: That is something we are mindful of, and one.
Speaker 2: Being Javier Bacharia scrub it.
Speaker 1: You know what it was that apparently pushed them over the edge was to get behind this tax. I'm not making this up. Apparently Maxine Waters made an appearance and it looked like there wasn't going to be enough votes to get it over the top. But then Maxine walks in and steals the show, and that gives them the votes that they need to get behind it.
Speaker 3: Mad Max got the support for this thing huh, that's who did it. Well, let's see what the after effects are now that Prop forty has been endorsed by the California Democrat Party. This is, of course, the SEIU Healthcare Union backed initiative that would take a five percent asset seizure of the two hundred or so billionaires in the state of California and use that money for healthcare.
Speaker 1: You know what else this is, it's the SCIU having complete control of that party. When it comes to the SCIU, the California Democratic Party does not have the ability to say no. If the California Democratic Party was an actual girl, they'd be pregnant by thirteen.
Speaker 2: Just gonna move past that one. Here's ABC.
Speaker 4: Ten named Democrats, including Governor Gavin Newsom, have opposed the billionaires tax, but over the weekend, the state Democratic Party voted to endorse the ballot measure.
Speaker 3: Gavin doesn't have a great track record in backing horses for these statewide elections. He had a big win with Prop fifty, but he was on the complete wrong side of Prop thirty six, And even though he may be on the right side of this issue, the public's not with him.
Speaker 1: Nope, do not forget when it came to Proposition thirty six, it passed in all fifty eight counties in California, all fifty eight.
Speaker 3: And by most of them in margins where it was seventy thirty. Despite that, Sacramento politicians and Gavin Newsom don't want to fully fund it, and now there are all kinds of diversion programs to handicap it.
Speaker 4: ABC ten State Matters political reporter Jenny huh is here now to explain.
Speaker 5: Well, Chris, the wolf tax has been a divisive issue within the Democratic Party and with members of the state Democratic Party.
Speaker 3: I wonder when people were collecting signatures. You know, sometimes you have to you know, when you're standing outside of Farmers Market or you're standing outside of target. What have you've got the table? You've got to collect the signatures. You've got to say something to get people's attention. How many people over the spring we're screaming out, do you want to take Tom Steyer's money away? Would you like to stop seeing those stupid ads take his money away so he can't afford any.
Speaker 1: I'm Tom Steyer. I'm about to ride the d.
Speaker 5: Voting to bug the opinion of Governor Newsom. The road to November could be bumpy.
Speaker 6: We weren't surprised. I think the establishment was surprised.
Speaker 7: Dave Reagan with Seius.
Speaker 3: This is the real power players in the state of California. The Union still pull a lot of the strings.
Speaker 7: To HW the helped her union behind the proposed one time tax on the states two hundred or so billionaires. Is celebrating the endorsement by the California Democratic Party.
Speaker 3: And if this passes by the margins that it looks like it may pass according to the most recent poll. Why would any of the other unions that are not getting this five percent not put one up in twenty twenty eight or twenty thirty. The teachers aren't getting any money from this. Ceesely wants her five percent that money.
Speaker 1: What was the thing that was in the hunter byden emails ten percent? The big guy?
Speaker 2: Nope, wrong start.
Speaker 7: Reagan says it sends a clear message to Democratic leaders in opposition like Governor Gavin Newsom and leading gubernatorial candidate Javier Basera.
Speaker 3: Frankly, nobody cares what Besarah put out a list of the the propositions he's endorsing.
Speaker 2: Who's paying attention to that?
Speaker 1: No? And this shows you, by the way, where the power is in California. The power is in the unions, and the people who get elected to office are just the figureheads of the coalition. It was Gavin and now it's going to be passed down to Bakariea. But the people calling the shots will not change. It's the SCIU. They're going to get their initiative through despite the objections of all the elected Democrats. And they just act like they don't matter. And guess what they don't.
Speaker 6: If I were in their shoes, I would be reevaluating that they are out of step.
Speaker 7: Over the weekend, executive board member of the state Democratic Party, including party officers and representatives from.
Speaker 2: All everyone looks so excited to be there at that convention.
Speaker 1: And these people, by the way, are the most radical activists on planet Earth. They were the ones that blewed Dianne Feinstein when she came out and favored the death penalty. They were the ones that endorsed Kevin de Leone over Dianne Feinstein when he challenged her for her US Senate seat. If given the opportunity, they'd probably nominate Luigi Mangioni for president.
Speaker 2: It is hot as hell, and I knew there was a reason I keep that on the board.
Speaker 7: Fifty eight counties met in San Diego to endorse candidates and ballot measures on the November ballot. Chair Rusty Hicks was not available for an interview for this story, but a spokes.
Speaker 2: What is he busy doing?
Speaker 1: Didn't he run for Assembly and losing the primary.
Speaker 7: First and confirmed?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Typically, that's who the consultants are, the people that couldn't go the distance themselves.
Speaker 7: It was a narrow vote to endorse proposition forty sixty one percent. Sixty percent is the threshold for an endorsement.
Speaker 5: I mean, what political message do you think this sense that? Again, despite those two leaders so firmly opposing this tax, the party and its delegates nevertheless are moving forward with this endorsement.
Speaker 3: Well, Gavin is soon to be a non factor. He has an expiration date and it's coming up real soon. Javier Bessera is a buffoon and nobody pays attention to him. These are the real power players here and they know it.
Speaker 6: What it says very clearly is this is where people are at. I don't think it's lost on anybody that Governor Newsom is running to be the President of the United States and the party that he wants to claim the nomination of in his home state, just did exactly what he was very vocally asking people not to do.
Speaker 3: Spokes I got to say, between this and then the fight to send the other SEIU were workers back to the office, I don't see the unions getting behind him in the primary.
Speaker 1: No, No, especially when you're gonna have two other Californians in the race. You're gonna have Kamala Harris and you're gonna have Rocanna. And my guess is that many of those unions will get behind one of those two candidates.
Speaker 3: Well, Rocana has come out strongly for the billionaire tax. Kamala I don't think has even been asked about it because she's busy doing nothing.
Speaker 7: Person for the opposition coalition led by Newsom. Stop the Squeeze tells us Democratic voters will oppose a tax quote when they learn it, what force cuts to schools, healthcare, transportation, and housing or trigger massive broad based tax hikes due to hundreds of millions per year lost in revenue.
Speaker 3: And how are they going to learn that? Are they going to read the voter guide? Because most people don't.
Speaker 1: Well and His objection to the tax isn't that it's going to drive out all the tech people. His objection is that they didn't spread it around to the other leeches well.
Speaker 3: And remember, the teachers Union specifically has a vested interest in this not passing, because if this causes some of the top earners in the state to leave, if it causes some of the top companies in the state to leave, that is lower revenue for the state. And Prop ninety eight says that a whole bunch of revenue has to go towards the teachers and the schools, So they're going to lose money out of this. It's interesting when people are pulled, are they polled knowing where the money goes, or do they even care? They just hate Elon and this is a way to go after the billionaires.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is going to blow the budget. I don't think people understand how the budget works in California. The rich people, specifically the rich people in Silicon Valley, pay a disproportionate amount of the taxes, and not even from W two income, it's from capital gains. When their stocks do well, when Apple stock does well, when Tesla stock does well, when Amazon stock does well. That's when those people make a ton of money. And when they make a ton of money, they have to pay taxes to Sacramento, which is the reason that the income for the state is not terribly reliable. When it's a good year on the stock market, they pay a ton. When it's a bad year on the stock market, they don't pay as much. But you get all of these people to leave the state. It doesn't matter if the stock market has a good year or a bad year because they're no longer paying California taxes. And guess what, I don't think it's one of these deals where they're going to come back where they're going to go to Florida, or they're going to go to Nevada, or they're going to go to some other state and they're going to go you know what, we have to go back to California. I mean, I miss seeing that friendly neighborhood homeless encampment that was right next to my kids' school. It's not going to happen. They're going to go establish residency in some other state and when they want to come back to go to Disneyland or do whatever, they're going to do it as a visitor, not as a resident, and that money is going to be gone for good.
Speaker 3: I mean, we might get to a point where Zuckerberg might leave and just buy the rest of Kawhi.
Speaker 1: Could happen.
Speaker 2: Actually, that's a whole point for the billionaire tax.
Speaker 7: That's been the main opposition that if billionaires leave the state or move assets, the state would lose significant income tax revenue. There's also opposition all the ballot via Propositions forty one and forty two.
Speaker 2: Now, this is what's going to be.
Speaker 3: Probably the saving grace of Prop forty possibly not passing, is that there are actually three competing measures. It's like the sports gambling thing and then some because there's Prop forty which is the billionaires tax, but then there's Prop forty one and Prop forty two, which are back to buy the billionaires, which if either of those passing, it's more votes than the billionaires tax, it invalidates the billionaire's tax. It is going to be a very confusing and very expensive ballots.
Speaker 1: I love the fact that we've turned the election into one great, big trick question and then we send ballots to every dead person in the state.
Speaker 3: Although if you're the SEIU side, you could definitely argue, look how much money the billionaires are wasting just to not pay their fair share?
Speaker 2: Sick of hearing that term.
Speaker 7: The main purpose of Prop forty one is to prevent new taxes like the billionaire tax from being excluded from the state's annual spending limit, so it would likely limit the entirety of the Walt tax revenue from being used as intended. As for Prop.
Speaker 5: Forty two, it says retroactive taxes or prospective taxes on any retirement holdings or other There is.
Speaker 3: The question of how you implement this tax because it's not a tax on the money that you literally have in the bank. It's a tax on not your liquid assets, but your assets that are tie up in the market. So how do you do that assessment because the market goes up and down on a daily basis, And how exactly do you decide how much they're going to pay, and how do you get it?
Speaker 1: Well, and think about this too, there's no real way to find out what the actual worth is of certain items. So Zillow says your house is worth one amount, redfin says your house is worth another amount. Sometimes those numbers are very different from one another, but The reality is your house is only worth what someone's willing to pay for it. So unless you have a house on the market and you have entertained offers and accepted one, your idea of what your home is worth maybe very different from what the government's idea of what your home is worth. So they're going to claim that you cheated on your taxes if you value your home at the low end and they value it on the high end. I mean, when my friend Suzanne Summers listed her house here in Palm Springs, she initially listed it for something like eleven or twelve million dollars, and it sat on the market for a very long time, and she had to lower the price and lower the price and lower the price, and I think she finally sold it at six or seven million dollars. Well, that's what the home was worth, because that's what someone was willing to pay for it. But if the government steps in and goes would you need to pay taxes on it? As if the property is worth eleven million dollars, it's not worth eleven million dollars. You're stealing from that person.
Speaker 6: They're personally held assets like the wealth tax are prohibited.
Speaker 5: And we reached out to the governor's office for comment on the political implications, and we were referred to as political team, but did not hear back as of airtime. Now, both Props forty one and forty two are backed by billionaire and Google co founder Sergey Brinn. If either of those propositions we get more votes than does Prop forty in November, they will essentially undo the wealth tax.
Speaker 4: Chris, Okay, Jenny, we thank you for that.
Speaker 3: It looks like the strategy is, if you're the billionaires backing the anti billionaire tax, is confuse the hell out of people, so they vote no for everything. And that was the strategy back when you had two competing sports gambling measures because the tribal casinos wanted to cut out the regular casinos, and the regular casinos wanted to cut out the tribal casinos, and then sports gambling never got legalized until cal She said, Nah, it's just legal.
Speaker 1: Well, you know my motto, Randy, what's that? If it works, do it. It's the John Phillips Show. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny Don't Like Show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny Don't Like Show. At gmail dot com and Randy. You can watch us perform the show live at Johnny Don't Like dot Com.
Speaker 2: That's the website.
Speaker 3: Johnny don't Like dot Com are doing this every single day live on YouTube and on x The easiest way to go to is Johnny don't Like dot Com. Subscribe to the channel. There's tons of content off there on there. After we get off the air at three o'clock, hit the like button, hit the bell so you're notified when we go live and play around in the chatroom.
Speaker 2: We're having a good time and.
Speaker 1: Coming up tomorrow there's going to be a new edition of the Accountability Podcast.
Speaker 3: This is going to be a very special episode of the Accountability Podcast. It premieres tomorrow, August fifth, at three pm, right after we sign off the air. It is a forty minute interview with Johnny and I and Steve Hilton running for governor on video. It premieres tomorrow at three at Johnny Dontlike dot Com. Do not miss it, and we might offer a preview during tomorrow's show of the podcast. But we're not going to play the whole thing because it's too long to play on the radio. But you can enjoy the entire conversation over at the Accountability Podcast, So make sure you subscribe to that so you have access to that interview.
Speaker 1: It's a humdinger. If you want to watch us live, go to Johnny don't Like dot com and make sure you click that like button when you're there. Helps us out a lot.
Speaker 3: We're having a lively chat in the chat room where now everyone who listens in San Diego is demanding that Cogo put us on the air, and yes, I'm for it.
Speaker 1: In the meantime, what do you say we make a couple of listeners very happy.
Speaker 2: Well, let's do that. Right now.
Speaker 3: Seven ninety KABC welcomes Jason bonhams led Zeppelin Evening at the Pacific Amphitheater at August twenty second. Tickets are on sale now at pacamp dot com. But right now caller number nine at one eight at eight seven ninety five two to two two gets a pair of tickets to the show, not to the fair, because the fare will be over by then. You got to get your free fried twinkies right now. Tickets furnished by the Pacific Amphitheater. Good luck, diling. Remember that when they used to make you go to remotes at the OC Fair and then Lewis would try to shove a pig in your face.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, I actually it's funny that you mentioned that it was at the La County Fair. Were you there for that one?
Speaker 2: I wasn't there for it, but I've heard the story.
Speaker 1: Okay. So Jillian and I were doing an afternoon drive show together, Jillian Barbery. For those of you who live in LA you watched her on Good Day LA for years. You listened to her on the radio with me. If you're in the Bay Area, you saw her on the NFL on Fox. She did the weather for their Sunday morning football program with James Brown and Terry Bradshaw and Howie Long. Great lady loved Jillian to death. So we went to the La County Fair and they wanted to present me with a pig for whatever reason.
Speaker 3: I don't know why, because you don't like animals.
Speaker 1: I never grew up on a farm. I don't really have much affinity for farm animals, so of course they want to bring them around me NonStop.
Speaker 3: Well, and this was the producer mindset of your producer. Now the program director of wmal Lewis Sigura, how can we torture John at a remote So.
Speaker 1: They present me with a pig at the fair in front of a bunch of people, And what I did was act as if I was being introduced to Rosie O'Donnell. And I don't think the fair people saw that coming. And the farmer who was presenting me with the pig didn't know how to react to that. And I just kept going and going and going. I loved your work on A League of their Own. Let me tell you, it wasn't Madonna that was the star of that movie. It was you and the view come on that fight that you had with Elizabeth Hasse back split screen that went viral. I even liked you and exit to Eden when you were wearing the leather and you were the star of the Flintstones. For heaven's sake, You're bigger than John Goodman. And I just kept going and going and going. Those were the days. Eight hundred two two two five two two two is telephone number one. Eight hundred two two two five two two two. There was a big shakeup that happened in Sacramento yesterday, and it has nothing to do with the Sacramento Kings getting a new shooting guard.
Speaker 3: No, the uh, there's been a big change up and how the Republican caucus is going to operate as Alexandra Machado is replacing Heathato Mercedo excuse me, is replacing Heath Flora as the new Republican leader in the Assembly. Johnny, what I've heard is there were some people very upset. Flora decided that, uh, why don't we just go ahead and allow some more tax hikes to go on, because that's what they should be opposing.
Speaker 1: No, you know what he did. It was even worse than that. It was a tax or a bill that would allow two different counties to raise taxes beyond the legal limit Los Angeles, and it was one in the Bay Area, I forget. And what the Democrats wanted to do was make it so that none of the Democrats that live in those areas had to vote for it, so they would not be accused of raising taxes on their constituents. So what Heath Flora did was he and some other guy want a Lanis another Republican member of the Assembly. They voted for so the Democrats could either abstain or vote against it so they wouldn't take heat in their reelection, and what it did is it killed the narrative that Republicans were the ones that were trying to cut taxes and cut costs because it was a technically bipartisan vote and he was the Republican leader. So that guy had to go.
Speaker 3: What exactly did the Republican caucus get out of that deal?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, he basically acted as a member of the Democratic Party that just happened to control the Republican Caucus. So my guess is the unions were happy with him. My guess is the Democratic leadership was happy with him, and they found a way to kick in some way or another. Well.
Speaker 3: For more on this shakeup in the Assembly, here's a report from KCRA three and yes, you guessed it. Though wonderful Ashley Zavalla.
Speaker 4: Day lawmaker's return to the Capitol today for a busy month of debating legislation.
Speaker 5: They now have four weeks to pass any proposed laws and send them to the Governor's desk.
Speaker 8: But on day one back at the office, there was an unexpected shake up in leadership. Republicans today abruptly voted to remove rippin Assemblyman Heath Flora.
Speaker 1: That's a great file photo of Heath. He looks like he screamed at someone to get off his lawn.
Speaker 8: You're a minority leader. The new leader of the Republicans in the Assembly is Tilarry. Assembly Woman Ali Messdo. Case Herey three political director Ashleys of Ala was at the state Capitol as all of this was unfolding.
Speaker 9: I'm told this is the result of a series of events and disagreements within the assemblies Republican caucus this year. The new Republican leader, assembly Woman Alexandra Messido, noted that Assemblyman Heath Flora recently sided with Democrats to pass new taxes across the state. We did see Flora walk into Flora session briefly today and quickly walk out, and we did not see him again. You're looking at file a video of him on your screen.
Speaker 2: He went to hide.
Speaker 1: Did you see that story about him in the California Post about his bar tab Oh, please elaborate eleven thousand dollars from a dive bar.
Speaker 2: How do you do that?
Speaker 1: You know how much you have to drink to spend eleven thousand dollars at a dive bar.
Speaker 3: It's not like the dive bar has close. Azul so if you're paying that munch, you're buying in bulk, to say the least.
Speaker 9: My sources said as soon as Republicans met at the state Capitol in their closed door meeting this afternoon at around twelve thirty, Mesito called a leadership vote. This comes a day after The California Post reported Flora was at the center of ethics investigations and reported some questionable use of thousands of taxpayer dollars taking meetings at an East.
Speaker 1: Salin wasted in every single photo they've put up on the screen of him.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of stories coming out about Heath all over the internet right now, and it's another one of those situations where, much like with Swalwell and DC, everyone in Sacramento's like, oh, yeah, I know all about this.
Speaker 1: I don't know what his ethnic background is, but he looks about half Scotch and half soldier to.
Speaker 9: Mere Mesito said that was not the reason and called some of that reporting and accurate. Today, some of my Republican sources expressed serious concern about the timing of this, specifically ahead of an election where Republicans in the State Assembly are trying to pick up seats Democrats right now don't need a single Republican vote to pass anything because there are so few Republicans at our state capitol.
Speaker 2: Oh, just twisting the knife.
Speaker 9: I asked Mesito about this when she spoke with reporters today. Some members are.
Speaker 10: Worried that this is happening before an election, and this.
Speaker 9: Presents the perception that there's possible instability in your caucus.
Speaker 1: How would you respond?
Speaker 11: There is absolutely no instability in our caucus.
Speaker 3: Our candidate are all right, you're getting get used to the CA but you're starting a little robotic and you use.
Speaker 2: The A word absolutely.
Speaker 10: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: She looks like she could be a host on Fox News, doesn't she?
Speaker 11: Little bed Our amazing candidates are.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to dig the other guy on that one because both of them could be on television. She could be on Fox News and he could be on Cheers.
Speaker 11: Oct In. They are ready to fight, as is the rest of our caucus, and they have my commitment that I will spend every minute all the way through the time that the new members are sworn in, fighting for every vote. We want to bring Republicans home. We want to make sure that they show up to vote in November, and we also want those that are dated by the California policies that have left this building, that have left them behind, and tell them that voting for a Republican means voting for common sense and voting for money staying and their bank accounts that they worked hard for.
Speaker 2: Okay, she finished very strong, and you.
Speaker 1: Know what, hopefully she does meeting because the old Republican leader was James Gallagher who's now in Congress, and he did media all the time. He was always on the show. I haven't seen Heath Flora anywhere. Have you?
Speaker 3: I haven't, and I'll tell you I pay a lot of attention to what's going on in Sacramento. I don't think I've even heard the name heath Flora until a week ago.
Speaker 9: We have been in contact with Assembly in Heath Flora and we are working on getting his side of the story.
Speaker 1: Did she call the payphone at that bar?
Speaker 9: Reached out to the Democratic leader of the State Assembly, Speaker Robert Reeves for comment. I'm waiting to hear back from his spokesman.
Speaker 2: Oh, you'll be waiting for a long time.
Speaker 9: Back to you.
Speaker 8: Thank you. Lawmakers have until August thirty first to pass bills. This legislative session, and then the governor has until the end of September to sign them into law or veto them.
Speaker 3: So there you go, big shakeup on the Republican caucus in the California Assembly.
Speaker 1: Oh good for them, because if you're a Republican and you're voting for tax increases in California, you don't think we're taxed enough. Here you gotta go. It's the John Phillips Show. If you'd like to watch us live, go to Johnny don't like dot Com and you can do it. There.
Speaker 3: You can see the Katie Porter bobblehead in full action. Katie, you have anything to say to the camera.
Speaker 7: Why do you have to watch porn in the living room?
Speaker 1: Barbara Stone joins us at the top of the hour. All right, if your house was robbed and you want to go buy back your stolen stuff, Randy, you have an update.
Speaker 3: For us on that San Francisco is actually starting to crack down on the sale of stolen goods. In the mission, thanks to and I can't believe I'm saying this a bill that actually made a little sense written by Scott Wiener. Oh come on, so let's take you back in time when a different destructive politician by the name of Ricardo.
Speaker 1: Laura, I'm very kind of sketch.
Speaker 3: Wrote a bell SB nine forty three I might have the number wrong, which decriminalized all aspects of street vending and an incredibly misguided attempt to protect illegal immigrant street vendors. It created loopholes in the law where law enforcement were not allowed to do anything about selling stolen goods, like literally, the deodorant you steal from Walgreens, you can sell it on a stand in the mission.
Speaker 1: How in the world did Scott Wiener get this right? Is there some kind of writer in the legislation that says that all of the stolen books have to get confiscated and donated to drag Queen's story hour.
Speaker 3: Well, let me clarify here. It's push it in the right direction, but at a very slow pace. So law enforcement not allowed to deal with illegal street vending, even when public works employees were getting harassed and sometimes beat up by the criminals in the mission. Scott Wiener for five years tried to get a bill through the legislature to fix this, and the legislature and again you got to remember, Scott Wiener even couldn't get this thing passed for five years, decided all right, what we're gonna do is come up with a list of twenty things that of the most commonly stolen items at Walgreens. The board of supervisors will vote on what that list is, and you have to get a permit if you're going to sell in the mission. And if we see you selling deodorant in the mission and you don't have a receipt for that deodorant, you're gonna get a warning. And then the second time you're gonna get a warning, and then the third time you're gonna get a ticket.
Speaker 1: Oh great, that's the.
Speaker 2: Cracked on illegal vending going on in the mission.
Speaker 3: It is a step in the right direction, but it is a very small step. For more on this, here is ABC seven in the Bay.
Speaker 1: Well, it's been a year since the state law gave police new tools to track down a crackdown rather on street vendors selling stolen merchandise.
Speaker 7: But is the law working.
Speaker 9: ABC seven Eyewitness News reporter Loose Pena looked at the data, then went to San Francisco's Mission District to find.
Speaker 3: Out, Oh, that's one of the neighborhoods I don't go to when I go to San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Oh, you drive through it, It's like a never ending mall of stolen goods.
Speaker 3: If you want to have a great time in San Francisco, go to North Beach, go to Golden Gate Park, go to all the fun restaurants and neighborhoods. But stay out of the tenderloin, stay out of Soma, and stay out of the Mission and you'll have a great time. What if you want to buy stolen deodorant, then go to the mission.
Speaker 7: The figure's match reality.
Speaker 10: The difference it is clear. For years, this is what San Francisco Mission Residence witnessed every day, people selling items presumed to be stolen on the sidewalks. Fast forward to August of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Looks like everything is under control. Walked through.
Speaker 3: There was one point where then Supervisor Hillary Ronan said, Okay, in order to crack down on this, we just have to ban all street vending in the Mission. To the people that were doing it legitimately, they were very upset.
Speaker 10: Brodrico Lopez, president of the Mission Street Vendors Association. He said that thirty three permitted vendors are now stationed in specific areas. He's also glad people who don't have receipts for the items they're selling are getting sided. Well, I can say right now at this point, the city have control over that issue. Last year, the California Senate approved SB two seventy six allowing San Francisco to require street vendors to obtain a permit to sell merchandise.
Speaker 3: And this was a state law that I believe only affects sam Fisco. So you can still sell plenty of stolen goods in MacArthur Park in Los Angeles. But just remember it took Scott Wiener five years for the legislature to pass this.
Speaker 10: Way to crack down on people selling stolen items on the streets. Senators got Wiener authored SB two seventy six, and city supervisors approved a list of over one hundred commonly stolen retail items that SFPD now looks over before citing someone.
Speaker 3: Okay, the list I thought was twenty, it's up to one hundred. So even if people are selling stolen kens a big sexy hair, you could get sighted.
Speaker 1: You think Pokemon cards are on the list. Possibly, what we want is to go back to the way it's been in the mission for a long time, where we have street vendors who have permits, who are running small businesses.
Speaker 3: I love that the answer wasn't just repeal Ricardo Laura's incredibly stupid law.
Speaker 2: That would have been the smart thing to do.
Speaker 1: For whatever reason, they can not go after him by name. Have you noticed that?
Speaker 2: I wonder if he has dirt on people.
Speaker 10: Since implementing this law. In the last two months, city data shows that SFPD has given out three hundred and ninety six.
Speaker 1: Warnings zero arrests. I love it.
Speaker 3: Where did you get that sense of dine? By the way, if you want to know why so many walgreens have closed in San Francisco, it's this.
Speaker 10: Forty six citations, six citations for a third violation, and no misdemeanor arrests yet.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's a toothless bill.
Speaker 2: Well, it's got baby teefs.
Speaker 1: No, it has meth teeth.
Speaker 12: It's really about teaching these violators that there's better ways to conduct business.
Speaker 10: Despite the progress, ASFPD confirmed, there is still an enforcement gap at night.
Speaker 3: Well, that's when most of the illegal stuff is going on. That's when people are selling the stolen laptops.
Speaker 1: We're going to enforce it only when you're not open for business right now.
Speaker 12: We are challenged with our staffing. As our staffing improves, as our staffing increases, we're going to be able to increase those enforcement operations.
Speaker 10: The owner of Materira Market pointed to homelessness and the drug crisis as other persistent issues here, but disenforcement.
Speaker 3: Hey, there's a feedinl fold right there in the middle of the street. It's a big fold.
Speaker 10: Is giving him hope? Now, I'm getting excited for expanding in San Francisco. Loose Paya, ABC seven at Witness News.
Speaker 3: So it is a very very very very small step, but a step in the right direction as San Francisco cracks down on illegal street vending by giving you a warning and giving you a ticket, then maybe another ticket, and then I'm not actually arresting you if you keep doing it over and over and over again.
Speaker 1: You think Dick Clark ever did the fitinal fold on American Bandstand?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I had a bunch of women with bouffont hair doing that.
Speaker 3: It's pretty easy dance, you inject and you fold over.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not exactly the Charleston All right, We've got two more hours coming up on the John Phillips Show, The Fixed California Hours. Next, Professor Barbara Stone joints us don't you go Anywhere