Speaker 1: By the Giants into historic Fenway Park, the start of a three game series. I'm John Miller, but today's twenty three hour with the skipper of the Giants, Tony Vtello. And of course this is the return to Boston of a guy who was beloved here, helped them win a World Series and came up as I think he was twenty one years old, Raphael Devers when he played in that World Series. And now Devers returns, and so for him, this is a swirl of and maybe he's anxious to get through it, but he a swirl of interviews and reactions with the fans and all of that. So for him, you think that's kind of it's going to be kind of difficult for him to stay focused.
Speaker 2: Well, I think just a big thing is to get past the initial meeting. He'll visit with the media today and get that past them. And you know, like a lot of great players, I've been around Todd Hilton at Tennessee and Raffie, they like to play the game. They don't like to talk to the you know, talk to the people about how great of achievements they've had or any of that other stuff. They just want to play. So just getting past that checkpoint I think would be good for him. But I know his answers will involve how much he loved his time here and the people were good to him when he was here and obviously helped him win a championship, but accomplished a lot of other great feats. It's terrible of me to not know the exact statistic, but I know him and Babe Ruth are the only two players to have done something, and of course they both have ties to Boston, and so it'll be good for him to get past that and just get into the moment of the game. And it's a ballpark he's very familiar with, in a park that he had success at the plate, so I think it'll be good for him once the game starts.
Speaker 1: And because of the big wall and left the Green Monster thirty seven feet high, but it looks so close to home plate that people always think, well, man, the right handed hitters did thrive in that ballpark because it's big in right center and even down the right field line if you don't hit it right on the line. But left handed hitters are the guys who've won batting titles here. And Fred Lynn used to talk about being home home at Fenway after a tough road trip and being upset hitting a ball poorly and batting practice and go, oh for God, say here we go, and then all of a sudden hears ping and he realizes, oh, I'm home. Your stram Skeech had Williams, Fred lenn your name left handed hitters over the years, and they're the ones who mostly won batting titles playing for Boston because you could get a tough pitch and just hit a high, lazy fly to left and it hits that wall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can use the big gap to right center, and other parts of the park are a little bit advantageous. But the big thing is, like you said, the green monster and left plays to you. Not just a home run that you might lift in the air to left field, but you know, a ball that goes off that wall is at the very least not getting caught. Regardless if it's a double or you can get a triple out of it, it's a ball that the left fielder cannot get to. Now.
Speaker 1: When he first came to the Giants last year, I just couldn't help it. Every time Devis would hit a ball really well to left or left center. I would in my mind trying to say, man, that would have been off the wall. That might have gone over the wall at Fenway. And conversely, sometimes he's hit balls to left that I thought, well, that wouldn't have been high enough to get over the wall here at Fenway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it works two different ways. I mean, to get you a homer, there does have to be some backspin or some elevation to it at the very least, But it's different everywhere in the bottom line is hitters hit, and I think Raffi as the reps if piled up in the seasons now down the home stretch. He's true to form of what he can do at the plate, and I think the statistics he leads in are ones that kind of grab you a little bit when he's doing damage. It's been beneficial in the game. I think he has the most go ahead or you know, in the top five go ahead RBIs in the game.
Speaker 1: Rafe El Devers returning to Fenway for the first time as a Giant. More with Tony Botello next no more with Tony Vitello, Giants manager from Fenway Park, and what a matchup tonight. It's like an October kind of a matchup with Logan Web for the Giants up against Sunny Gray Sunny Grace. Fifteen wins and three losses, very low earned run average, and he's been around a long long time, but seems to be having the best year of his whole career right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to say reinvented himself is definitely a stretch because he's always been successful, he's always been a competitor and you know, lightning stuff that he has, and you know, it's interesting, Jesse Chavez spent a lot of time with him and was actually served as kind of a mentor when they were teammates. So I'm kind of hoping Jesse's got a little tricks to the trade, because even one little inch, you know, whether it's part of a game plan, something executed in the game, or just moving up ninety feet could be the difference when you're talking about a pitching matchup like we have tonight.
Speaker 1: All right, So a great matchup here, and this Boston team, they had a really bad first half. They were fourteen games out of five hundred almost halfway through the season, and then they got hot. They stayed hot for what five or six weeks, and they've cooled off a little bit, which you might expect. But what is it about this team that makes him so tough?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean it's the best team in baseball record wise since the All Star Break. And I think it starts with the pitching it does for most clubs. And they've got a well balanced lineup. I mean, not as many switch hitters as we just saw in Cleveland, but a good bevy of switch hitters, left handed hitting, right handah hitting, and they're fairly athletic. But I truly feel it starts on the mound and you look at their rotation. They've got more lefties than anybody else in the league. Sonny obviously is doing really well. And then the bullpen is stacked. And you know, the one dream for every club is you have a lead in the eighth or ninth inning and the game is over. And we all know the big guy that's waiting at the end of the game for you if you're down in the ninth inning.
Speaker 1: So here we go. It's the Giants and the Red Sox and that's the Tony Vaichello Show for today.