Speaker 1: To the faithful, seth to dub Nation, and to those who bleed orange and black. Good morning. This is Murph and Marcus, Bryan Murphy and Marcus the water Boy Bouchet streaming live at twitch.
Speaker 2: Dot tv Slash the Sports Leader.
Speaker 3: It's a Thursday morning here on the Murph and Marcus Show, August sixth John Dickinson filling in for Brian Murphy this morning. And we did have a big show planned today with Buster Posey joining the show at seven thirty. Giants updates forty nine or training camp updates. But I'd be lying to say if there was not a bigger story in the Bay Area that involves us, my friends, and I'm talking to you the can be our family, because yesterday we got some big time news surrounding Greg Papa and Greg Silver. And I know that there are a lot of questions out there in our audience. Trust me, we have a lot of questions too, but there's no questions.
Speaker 2: That these are our friends, our.
Speaker 3: Co workers, our family, Greg Papa and Greg Silver, two the best guys that you could ever work with, two guys that myself JD. Walter behind the Glass John Joe Curley have had the opportunity to work with, to grow with, and to experience and to enjoy this thing that we do every single day sports talk radio, which is why it's hard to even think about talking about sports on a day like today.
Speaker 2: After we found out that there will.
Speaker 3: Be some changes on the midday show starting Monday, John Lunn will rejoin the family, a guy that we have all also worked with before. But the news that camb Are will be moving on from Greg Silver and reports and stories surrounding the future of Greg Papa as well. Again, can't speak too much about what we know here behind the scenes or what you know behind the scenes. And I do want to give a shout out to Derek Papa and Adam Copeland, who I thought did a great job covering the events yesterday on Dirty Work from two to six. I would highly recommend for everybody to go back in check out those thoughts by both Derek and Adam on the matter, because we're talking about the son of Greg Papa. Derek Papa really giving us all in insight to some of the things going on behind the scenes. But even without getting into too much behind the scenes, JD, I think it's just worth acknowledging our coworkers, our friends are can be our family, and how much we both love Greg Papa and Greg Silver, two guys that I know that you've had the honor the privilege of working with throughout your time in radio.
Speaker 4: Difficult day, unfortunately, in a long list of difficult days. And I mean these are two guys, Greg and Greg that I absolutely freaking love, absolutely both of them, I mean, Greg Silver, and they're there are the two of the guys that are the reason I'm I'm here even sitting with you this morning. You know, I'm the sports leader, and yeah, I mean as far as as Papa, I mean it's I've known the guy for twenty years and and work with him for the last fifteen and and just professional on top of professional, and you know, mentor to me, mentor to so many and and just an absolute freaking legend. So I I love and he's going through, you know, the battle that obviously everybody knows, and and I love him and I just want to send him all the best and admiration and and and just say I love you, brother. And as far as Greg Silver, I mean, he's somebody that that I met in my you know, when I came over here and we were paired together immediately for Dubzot and he was a producer and helping work through that show and helped launch that show, which has been incredibly successful, you know, to this point through the three seasons that it's been on, and that show wouldn't be possible at all had it not been for Greg Silver. And he did such a great job on that show that it led to his opportunity to work with Papa, And so I love both of those guys.
Speaker 2: I love Greg Silver to death. Man first class.
Speaker 4: Human talent and wisdom well beyond his years, and one of the hardest workers that I've ever had the pleasure to work with or call a friend. And you know, Greg as the og Greg Papa all of those same qualities in terms of he's wise beyond his years, even though he's got a few more years going. But he's also youthful and ageless and time tameless in so many different ways. And you know, part of my deal is just the ability to kind of get along with everybody, regardless of the age group.
Speaker 2: And the experience level.
Speaker 4: And I think both of those guys just exude, you know, everything that's great about about being in what we get the opportunity to do, and so I just love both of them and wish both of them the absolute best here moving.
Speaker 3: Forward, Yeah to Greg's two great guys. It's as simple as that, and the way that they were able to work through everything that they have done since Greg Silver took over for John Lund and with Greg Papa going through his battle battling cancer. We can get into his fight in what he's doing away from the microphone and away from broadcasting, but what he's doing every single day truly is an inspiration and the way that Greg Silver has been able to handle this entire situation from stepping in as a per to being an on air host and a producer at the same time. I know what it's like to be a producer. I was lucky enough to bring on a John, Joe Curley or young Tony or Walter behind the scenes to help me out. This kid was juggling a lot, and Greg Silver was never a man that relied on his last name to get him anywhere. He walked into CAMBR I didn't even know his last name. I was like, Oh, who's this new Greg kid?
Speaker 2: And guess what?
Speaker 3: He took on every single job, every single role every single responsibility, going through overnights till part time to dubzot with you, working late nights, to wake it up early in the morning, helping out us on the morning show as well. Greg Silver a constant pro and I know that this is not the end of his journey, It's only the start. That kid is bright. He was one of the few on air hosts that he's younger than I am. And I hope one day I can grow up to be as professional as a guy like Greg Silver. Like he's that kind of kid, He's got that kind of talent, and that's why i'd say, Greg Silver, keep your head up. Greg Papa, I don't even know where to start. I'm not behind a microphone if it's not for Greg Papa. You guys know my story. I grew up silver and Black, a Raider fan. I'm of that demographic where I might have to explain to the young kids that I grew up with Raider games being blacked out, which meant the only way I could digest football was through the voice of Greg Papa. So I was a kid yelling and screaming throughout my household touchdown Raiders, just trying to be my own version of Greg Papa. My first job ever in radio was at the Raiders flagship station here in the Bay Area. I got hired as an intern. I told my boss, I want to work on the Wielhouse with Greg Papa and John Lund. That's all I want to do, and for every day during the summer, I didn't make a single dime, But I can't tell you how much wisdom and knowledge and experience I was able to learn from Greg Papa himself. Fast forward to me working here at CANBR getting the opportunity to help out fill in sometimes host shows with Greg Papa. It truly check changed my life, my experience and how I view this game, this game as a broadcaster, and what Greg Papa has installed with me with his knowledge and his experience and just his overall vibe in his attitude.
Speaker 5: Like Greg Papa is one of the coolest guys that you can hang out with. Yes in and out of the studio. So I don't have enough time. I know we have four hours.
Speaker 3: I know we can react through it throughout the entire day, but just getting my immediate thoughts out, I can't tell you how much I respect both of those guys, Greg Papa, one of my broadcasting idols, and Greg Silver one of the nicest guys, one of the best co workers, and a kid that has a very very bright future ahead of him.
Speaker 2: H yeah, and you said it.
Speaker 4: I mean he is talking about Silver one of the most poised individuals, and I know he gets it a lot the wise beyond his years and beyond his age.
Speaker 2: But I'm like, dude, you call me down man.
Speaker 4: Like it's He's absolutely the best. And as far as Papa, I mean, both of those guys are a quality hang in their own right. But yeah, Papa and unbelievable and some of my fondest, fondest memories of working with Greg were just different times in different cities, frankly on the road covering covering teams and covering playoff series when he was doing dub stuff with NBC Sports Bay Area. And so I love both of those guys to death, And yeah, we obviously have to acknowledge that above everything else, because they're just, you know, quality humans, quality professionals, and I just I love them and wish them the best.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nothing but quality people and nothing but good things to say about these two who are going through a bit of a speed bump right now on both of their journeys. This is not the end of the road, of course, Greg silver bright future ahead of them in Greg Papa, keep battling, brother, keep fighting the fight blank cancer. It's as simple as that. That's something that has affected all of us throughout all of our lives with families and relatives. So please continue your thoughts and prayers for Greg Papa as he continues to recover from this battle and from this journey.
Speaker 2: And yeah, man, it's it's.
Speaker 3: Gonna be tough, but we'll try to address it as it can be our family. Again, nothing but respect for the Afternoon Boys, Derek Kops the way they handled the situation yesterday. Heard Larry Cruer had some thoughts as well, So we'll try to We'll try to keep you guys in for him throughout the show. But as my friend Pauli Mack once told me the day after he got fired, the show must go go on. And that doesn't mean it's gonna be easy, and it doesn't mean that we're gonna ignore it and act like those things gonna happen, because we've all gone through these experiences together before with the Pauli Mack with a John Lunn with a Tom Tolbert with some of our favorites and our idols that we grew up listen to each and every day. But guess what, they're still a part of our life and we're still here today talking about sports somehow, some way because that's what Greg Papa and that's what Greg Silver would want us to do. We'll check in with Walter Kapa set that on the other side of the man that was behind the glass for the Pauper Silver Show, and we'll try to get you back on schedule talking about some sports. I don't know what you guys want to talk about, the Giants, you want to talk about the substation and forty nine er injuries. We'll figure out something. For the next four hours. It's Murph and Marcus with John Dickson this morning on The Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Now back to murphin Marcus on The Sports Leader, streaming live on the Sports Leader dot Com at knbr V Sports Leader app.
Speaker 3: We are back live on the MURFH and Marcus Show on a Thursday morning. John Dickinson filling in for Murf today and tomorrow before Murph makes his return on Monday. And not to riff too much, not to make this too lighthearted, but man, oh man, I got Murph knows how to plan vacation.
Speaker 2: I mean, geez, Louise.
Speaker 3: But here we are on a Thursday morning, trying to pick up some of the pieces. We just addressed it in the first set in case you're waking up the news yesterday, surrounding Greg Papa and Greg Silver, two of our favorite co workers, two of our favorite people, two guys that we have a lot of love for. JD and I both gave our thoughts, will continue to give our thoughts on both of these guys moving forward, because it just feels weird talking about sports on a day like today.
Speaker 2: And to day that we've experienced here, I can be.
Speaker 3: R before losing legends and icons such as Pauli Mack and Tom Tolbert and John Lund who will be making his return next week. But you throw on Greg Papa and Greg Silver and what their future holds and the question marks moving forward, because trust me, there are a lot of question marks. But like I said in the first segment, there's no question how great of people these two guys are, not just co workers, not just on air personalities, but people that you get to interact with every single day in a small, tight knit community here working at a radio station. It's not like we're at some law corporate where there's hundreds and hundreds of employees and we're renting out Great America to have a party or a business day or something like that. Like, No, we have three to four people per show, so you see the same three to four people every single day.
Speaker 2: And that's why it feels like.
Speaker 3: Such a family affair when you get to bond and experience and break each other's balls and talk sports with these guys on a day to day basis. And look, we're getting continue to talk to these guys and have a relationship with them, but obviously things are.
Speaker 2: Going to be a little bit different moving forward.
Speaker 6: JD.
Speaker 4: Coworkers rarely I feel like become friends, but Greg Papa, Greg Silver that they are not only friends but family for me, considering that the relationships that I built with Greg Silver over the last three years and the opportunity to work with him and Greg Popa obviously going back a couple of decades now at a couple of couple of different stops, I mean I used to I mean, the legend of Papa speaks for itself. But I mean I go back to my days working in Sacramento, and it was we were, at that point in time a Raiders affiliate, and I used to when I was a producer, get to book Greg and talk to Greg and you know, because we would have him on every week talking about the Raiders, the same thing, and so that those were my first interactions with him, going back, I mean twenty ish years ago, you know, and then to work with him at two different spots. Again, we love you, brother, And yeah, coworkers don't often become friends, but not only did these two become friends over the years that I've been with them, but I would truly consider them family.
Speaker 3: Yes, staples of the can be our family, just like our guy Walter kobble seta behind the scenes is a staple of our family now on the Morning Show. But for those of you unaware, of course, Walter was the producer for POPA and Silver before making the transition to the Morning Show when we had some shuffling behind the scenes here. So let's bring on my man Wall, who I know is going through it just like the rest of us. You can save the guest list. We'll hit the guest list a little bit later on, because there's more important news to get to than just a guest list. Walter my Man. First of all, good morning. How are we doing today? Man?
Speaker 2: I know it's a rough one and a weird one for all of us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm doing I'm doing Okay, I'm doing alright, I'm doing alright. It was a rough one yesterday, last couple of days have been kind of a whirldwin. But but yeah, no, I mean to theiment sentiment that you guys said, you know, you guys covered it. Nobody wants to hear my thoughts on on on Papa and Silver, But man, I just want to take this time to acknowledge that I did have the privilege of working on the Papa and Silver show when it happened right back in twenty twenty four, or yeah, twenty twenty four, so what like a year and a half ago or whatever, So work with them, and all I gotta say, man, is I absolutely love an adore the gregs, Greg Papa and Greg Silver. Having worked with them, you know, day in and day out for almost almost two years, it made the It made this decision to come to the Morning show that much more difficult, right, I mean, I talk to you about it. It was hard, but I loved working with those guys every day, just to see the passion and the dedication that they shared day in and day out, and and what what what JD just said? You know, they're they're like family. I mean, we're co workers and we're friends, but it builds into more of that. Like I remember where we were a year ago, a couple almost a year ago to the day, you know, when the news came out, JD. We were down at at training camp, and that was a really bonding moment for for me, Silver and JD at that time. Right, So it's it's bigger than radio. It's bigger than just working together. It's it's family, man, And I love those guys. I mean sharing you know, moments that I have a kid now, right, sharing those moments with with Silver and sharing it with Papa. Like the dudes always hit me up, like pop a Wal He's like, he's like, send send me a picture of the little mofo, you know what I mean. Like he's always hit me up. And ye shot a name from Greg not Christian. Yeah, well he he wanted me to make it was actually a talking point on the show. But no love those guys. Uh with with with all my heart and silver. I mean, what can you say about the kid? I mean, he came into a really difficult situation. I myself did not make it easy on him when that happened, but I UH learned to love him and and he earned my respect man. And he is one of the hardest, most dedicated workers out there. And I know that he's going to do great things.
Speaker 2: Well said Walter. Well said, And I'd say the only thing.
Speaker 3: I disagree with is your first statement saying nobody wants to hear your thoughts on Pop and Silver. Everybody wants to hear him. I want to hear him. The audience wants to hear it. You know why, because they're part of the family too. And that's the thing that I think we forget a lot here doing radio. It's actually some of the best advice ever got from Murph and Mac. Once they put me on the air for the first time. Poy Max said, look just look at me, Look at Murph, look at Cokes. Behind the scene, it's just the four of us in the room having a good time. If we're laughing, if we're entertaining each other. Guess what other people are going to be entertained. But then you leave the studio and you go out to the ballpark and you run into people who say, Hey, you're a part of my morning routine. I listen to you guys every single day, and just like we're.
Speaker 2: Part of their routine. So we're Papa in Silver.
Speaker 5: So these are people who have part of their lives invested in all of us, which is crazy to even think about, but it just kind of represents what we all are JD. One big family, even if we are a little dysfunctional at time.
Speaker 3: We all have our flaws, but we're all in this together. And that's why everybody cares so deeply about the futures of guys like Greg Papa and Greg Silver.
Speaker 2: No question.
Speaker 4: And I'm partial again to both of those guys because they're the two guys, frankly, that I've worked the most with among any you know, anybody here over there over the time, going going back to my time, as I say, in a different radio life and place before I came to these Sports Leader in working with Greg and obviously being paired with Greg Silver at the beginning here and and you know, I've spent most of my time when I've been hosting and filling in in my utility role in in that slot, whether it was with Greg, or with lund Or or with with with Papa, with Silver like all the like and and obviously the you know, being able to hold it down for him during during his battle.
Speaker 2: So I've grown especially close.
Speaker 4: As Walt knows, even more than before with with both of those guys. So I just again just absolutely love both of those guys to death and just wish them all the best. And it's just a difficult, difficult thing. Just pros pros first class individuals and amazing talents, both of them in their own right, and the preparation and the hard work for both of them. Again, the og and the youngster on the come in g Silver, just two of the best of the best. And Silver in particular, you talk about it, you talk about a good human being.
Speaker 2: That guy is first class.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's going to continue his journey throughout sports broadcasts and no question about that bright future ahead for Greg Silver. And again we are all praying for Greg Papa as he continues his battle to just basically say blank cancer man and keep fighting the good fight and keep battling. Greg Papa if you're listening, just want you to know we love you brother, Greg Silver you as well. We love you. You guys will forever be a part of our family. That can be our family and this weird, wacky world of sports media that somehow, some way, we still have a job to do and we still have a show to do this morning. So Walter, as weird as it feels que of those guest horns, we do have a guest list to get into today today's show, and it starts off with a pretty big guest this morning, right around that seven thirty time. If you're an avid listener, you know what happens at seven thirty on Thursdays.
Speaker 2: Walter, go ahead and give us that guest list. I thought you were just gonna do it.
Speaker 5: Buster Posey seven thirty, we'll be talking about Buster Posey talks about the Trade.
Speaker 3: Devil, the president of Baseball Operations joins us this morning at seven thirty recap in all of the moves from the trade deadline, and also to give us a look ahead to this weekend's Wall of Fame ceremony, where Buster Posey, Brandon Bell, Brandon Crawford, Joe Panic, and Pablo Sandoval are all going on the Wall of Fame.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna have to dust off my my Joe Panic twenty twelve World Series.
Speaker 3: Jersey all hell yeah, you should be wearing that today, tomorrow and Saturday one.
Speaker 5: I'm just not gonna watch it, all right, so I will continue to go cooler of content. At eight thirty, Aw, some good sound in the Cook Cook Cook Coola of content.
Speaker 3: We've got an update from Sean McVay on a certain defensive lineman trying out with the Rams yesterday. We can dive into that discussion, hitting us with more good news, and then Matt Mayoko at eight fifty. Hey, we'll wrap it up live from forty nine Ers training camp. Some more injury updates yesterday's surprise surprise with Matt Mayoko at a fifteen WHI should tell you that the guest list was sponsored by El Sorito Honda. More than just a car dealership. We're family and that goes for Greg popping Greg Silver as well.
Speaker 2: We are family.
Speaker 3: All right, We'll get back to some baseball, some sports, some Hagante's hot takes coming up next. As we mentioned Buster Posey at seven thirty this morning, what do you want us to ask the President of Baseball Operations.
Speaker 2: Eight away. Cambire is the number on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Now back to Murphin Markets on the Sports Leader, streaming live on the Sports Leader dot com at KNBR the Sports Leader app.
Speaker 3: All right, it is the Murphin Market Show on a Thursday morning, Murph on vacation, John Dick filling in today and tomorrow prepping for our interview in one hour this morning with the President of Baseball Operations, Buster Posey.
Speaker 2: And it's been a very very busy week.
Speaker 3: Hell, it's been a busy season for Buster Posey with the long list of trades that he has made throughout the entire season. Don't forget about the Patrick Bailey trade earlier this year that resulted in the number twenty nine overall pick in this year's Major League Baseball Draft.
Speaker 2: They turned that pick into Carson.
Speaker 5: Bohlman, one of the top high school pitching prospects in the nation. Also brought in Matt tugbut Wilkinson to re up and maybe reset some of that depth when it comes to pitching in the farm system. Then we get to the trade deadline and Buster Posey trade six different active players off the roster, including Elliott Ramos, Luisa Rise, Robbie Ray, Eric Miller, Tyler Marley, and Caleb Killion and got a big haul of prospects back. So I'm guessing that this conversation this morning is gonna be a lot about the trade deadline and the plan moving forward. JD and I guess the bigger question is is how does the plan in the timeline align throughout the organization. It's something that we've been discussing with the emergence of a guy like Bryce Eldridge at twenty one years old versus some of the veterans that you still have on the roster, led by Logan Web who's twenty nine, Willie Damis, Matt Chapman, and Ralfeldevers your big three that you have the Big three contracts locked into Jung Ho Lee as well, who was in his late twenties. I guess one of the questions is how do you mix and match and get back to that level of success, to the point where Giants fans are celebrating teams like the World Series teams that Buster Posey represented, the teams that he's gonna be represented this weekend as he goes on the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how do you address what could be perceived as two timelines that don't mesh together. Essentially, with some of the veteran players that are still under contract and on the team and as we've talked about in the last couple of days, would be on track to be starting players for this team as well, versus complimenting those guys with more veterans on other rosters, complimenting those guys with players from the system. I think how the season ends is probably a big part of that. Do certain players force themselves into the conversation for next year, but then also.
Speaker 2: Having the focus on.
Speaker 4: The player development of a lot of the young players that are already in the system were drafted here within the last month and or traded for here within the last few days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's that kind of mix because we've already seen it in the first couple of days since the trade deadline, some younger guys getting the opportunity. I mean, you take a look at the box score from the last couple of days and it looks like a spring training box score with some names that maybe you don't even recognize. And then you go down deeper in the box score and you see names like Blade Tidwell, who was a part of the return package from last year's trade deadline, already making contributions at the major league level. Carson Wasn't got to start yesterday. Not his greatest outing back to back bad starts for Carson wasn't Hunt. But that's a guy that I still think is gonna get a bit of a leash moving forward, just to see what you have, because it feels like that's what you need to determine. Who are the guys that you can go into battle next year? Who are the guys that can contribute to a major league roster, regardless if it's in the starting rotation or out of the bullpen, or if it's a piece that you might potentially move this offseason. I think that's one of these surrounding questions still from this trade deadline. When you have these contracts, how much does that hamper you moving forward? Does this handcuff you when it comes to shelling out more money potentially next year? Does it also stop you maybe if there's a work stoppage next year? Like how do those things also factor into the big plan. It does seem like there's an actual direction that the Giants are going after selling off at this year's trade deadline, but there are still so many questions about how do you actually fix it and how do you actually get back to winning JD. Yeah, I think what's the goal for twenty twenty seven is probably the simplest way to put it as things stand here, with twenty twenty six on August sixth appearing to be lost, essentially not appearing. I think it is at this point, barring, you know, some kind of miracle winning streak that would be an all timer very open, you know, Buster's been very open about being willing to listen to offers on everybody on the roster, So I think that's something that's interesting to me. How much is a potential labor stoppage factor in Like is that something that's been discussed internally? Like are there initial plans in place for different lengths of the season potentially if it's the full one sixty two, is there sort of a plan for that, If it's one hundred games, is there a plan for that, if it's eighty, if it's less than that, like, sort of what is the plan as far as attempting to compete in what ways?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 4: Again, adding veterans to veterans or adding more young players around the veterans that you currently have and still augmenting two to three years down the line as your primary focus, even in twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think with the mix of younger and older players on the roster right now, maybe we see a different version of Tony Vitelo. I mean, we've talked about this topic before about whether or not he's better off with a younger roster and maybe being able to connect to younger players. Now that's not saying that Tony can't connect to the older players. I mean he did take an international trip this past offseason with Junghu Lee and Willie Domis and their trip to South Korea, and it seemed like they had a great bonding experience. It still didn't result in wins at the end of the day, but I think that's still part of the process too, is how do you evaluate Tony with this roster moving forward, Because we know on paper it's your best roster, it's a roster that looks a lot different than opening day. Now, again, these might be some of the pieces that Tony will work with moving forward. If Tony does end up returning next year, which it feels like now with this direction that they're going admitting some of their faults, is it more likely in your opinion, that Tony V's back again next year? Like I never really thought there was a big case to make to say that he was on the hot seat. I know that there is that portion of the lunatic fringe that wants the manager to get fired every year if you have a losing record. Look, the record's bad, they've dropped off. They've taken steps backwards since firing Bob Melvin and bringing in Tony Vitello. But this still feels like it's an incomplete assignment, not only this season, but moving forward with Tony Vitelo. Yeah, I mean they're setting it up for him to be back.
Speaker 4: I think with the moves that they made at the deadline, with some of the moves even that they had made prior to the deadline, I think that the shift really has been since the middle of June about the future. And you could debate it, and I think internally they would probably push back on the notion that they acknowledged Hey, this year, ain't it June fifteenth?
Speaker 2: In some ways, I think.
Speaker 4: When they were so open to being to move veterans, and those stories came out, and I think part of that, we talked about it at the time is sort of Buster with the shot across the bow to everybody in the clubhouse at that point with them whatever it was fourteen under like, hey, this is your last last chance to get on a run where you go twelve and two or something like that, and then maybe we can change the conversation. But it had been so bad so quickly, I think, worse than anybody could have imagined in terms of the one loss record coming into the year, that it had to be acknowledged, I think in the way that Buster did. So I think Tony's back the one caveat. I would add to that, as long as he wants to be, you know, I do think there is a component to that as well, like maybe he could reflect and say, depending upon how things shake out, this isn't for me, I want to go back to the college game. Anything like that, Like I think that would you know, that would be something that I would wonder if it would be in play for Tony. But it's pretty clear, I think, and I'm sure Buster would say, is that they're setting this thing up to basically be a mulligan, even if coming into the season they weren't necessarily intending on having as many growing pains, or they thought that they had a team good enough to overcome some of the growing pains, while a lot of the traits that attracted them to Tony would shine through and help the team that they put together perform at a better level than the teams over the last four years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we simply have not seen them. But circling back to our conversation with bus Er Posey right around a month ago, in case you missed it, he will join us again this morning at seven thirty. We asked him about the evaluation of Tony Vitello and he even kind of joked around and said, look, I'm going to say this comment, and I'm sure somebody's gonna write a story. Worry about it that Buster Posey supports him even though he's fourteen games under five hundred. At that point, he said, I see the work that Tony v does behind the scenes, and he's impressed with the job he's been doing. Now, I know some Giants fans are going to say, what the hell are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Buster?
Speaker 3: You guys are eighteen nineteen games under five hundred, how could he possibly be doing a good job, And that again circles back to the conversation about whether or not it's the chef or the ingredients, and if he was provided the correct ingredients. Going back to the beginning of the year where we all had complaints about the bullpen, where we all had complains about the signings of Tyler Mallley and Adrian Hawser, and Tony Vitello having to deal with those problems at the big league level. It is what it is. You gotta go out there and you got to get the most out of your roster. I don't think Tony Vytelo has gotten the most out of this roster, which might sound like harsh criticism, but it's also a reflection on your overall record this year and the difference of what we were told to your point about how Tony Vtello's personality might take you to the next step versus maybe the dull tones of a Bob Melvin line. There's clearly a belief that with the trend toward the younger players, that he's suited for that. But there was also a belief, and this is where I don't revise history that he would be able to lead, or this team would be talented enough to where they could overcome some of the learning curve, but but that he would be good enough to get more out of even a veteran roster like that that should not get revised through history.
Speaker 4: And to your point or question about has he gotten the most out of this roster? Absolutely not. No, I like that, That's an easy answer, like, absolutely not. I mean they I don't think anybody would look and at some point I think there will, and there probably already has been an internal cut off to where the wins and losses stop stop unless unless it just completely koreems because this has been my take on it for a while, Like they're intending fully for him to come back, and it's very easy for Buster, probably at the end of the season to in some form or fashion, step to the dais and say, hey, I failed Tony this year, or we failed Tony as a front office this year and prevented him from being able to be the best version of himself.
Speaker 2: With this club.
Speaker 4: That being said, I like all the things that he's done behind the scenes, and I've seen the like he'll reiterate a lot of what he told you and Murph, and so the intent would be absolutely to bring him back. And while the point at which wins and losses kind of stopped mattering somewhere between fifteen and maybe eighteen under they you also have to be accountable for how does it end? Like I say this all the time in sports, how seasons end matters, And so I don't believe that there's a whole lot that he can do between now and the end of the year that can add to Oh, he's done a great job right in despite a miracle run that that obviously doesn't look like it's going to happen. But I do think there are ways that you could feel worse about it, depending upon how the clubhouse stays together or doesn't, now that you have this infusion of youth with all the veterans around so and I do think losing a lot, even though the talent is worse than it was at the beginning of the season, can create some awkward circumstances to where the only way it would flip would be if the stories start coming out in September about how weird it is and how guys you know, didn't love the communication and like things that we aren't hearing now and haven't necessarily heard to this point. But again, beat writers, I'm not saying they don't. I'm not saying they hold stuff. We've got to I don't want to get into that whole conversation over the last couple of weeks, but they time when they report stuff like that, you know, for a focus more on next year, in the future and those kinds of things, And they also like part of the job becomes digging into that stuff more now because the day to day wins and losses don't matter. So it's not as if they know and are holding it, but it's more that becomes more of the focal point as opposed to.
Speaker 2: Who who pitched last night?
Speaker 4: Yes, and who got their first big league hit and all like that stuff's left that's part of the story, but the evaluation of the clubhouse now becomes the full story. And the thing where I do think Tony's gonna need quality marks in that vein between now and the end of the year to make it a no brainer obviously to bring him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it can't get to a point where we're talking about the clubhouse being checked out and all of a sudden there's stories being released about Jock Peterson leading a Filipino card game ring down in the clubhouse and nobody cares and guys are just playing out the strings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the communication was so bad that that or the preparation was deemed to be so bad that people were wondering, what the heck, what the heck are we doing? Like if so, if those kinds of stories start to come out, then I think it would change or have the potential to change the organization's stance as of Yeah.
Speaker 5: Instead, you want to see the fight and the energy from the younger guys getting the opportunity. Just like the other night, even though the Giants ended up being walked off for the tenth time this season, it was entertaining to see the way they battle back, with Basabe going deep and tying up that ballgame with a two run home run. With that ninth inning, three straight lefties against an all star lefty, with Drew Gilbert and Grant McCrae and Bryce Eldridge come off the bench with a clutch hit. You want to see those type of battles And yeah, it's not the end result, but to your point, the results really don't matter now because your season's over. It's been over for a couple of weeks, which led you to the trade deadline. You want to see more of that passion, that energy, some of that excitement, some of that Tennessee Tony that maybe we were promised and maybe showcase when he first signed here in San Francisco. Let's go out to the phone lines real quick. We got Rick in Hayward, who's got a thoughts on the young Giants moving forward? Rick, You're on the Murphy Marky Show this morning with John Dickinson and Marcus Bouschet.
Speaker 2: What's up, Rick? How you doing?
Speaker 6: Hey? John? Hey, Marcus, Hey, great job on the Greg and Greg situation today. I feel so bad for them, and you know, I understand it's part of that business that you guys are in, but it really sucks. Getting to my point on the team right now, I looked at the team and I don't see the Sabi, McCrae, Gilbert and even the guy Leonard as the possible future of this team. I think that where Bester did a good job on Monday getting those I think it was nine players backs, three shortstops, and a bunch of pitchers. I think that restocking the minor leagues and you know the future of the Giants is right now, I think in Richmond, or in Medford or or Sam Jose. I mean that's the problem, you know, I kind of laugh. I know you. I don't know if you guys did the interview with Larry Bear, But where Larry goes and says, well, we compete what we rebuilt, well, that ain't going to be the case this time around, Larry. I mean, you can't compete with guys from Double A playing and it just it isn't gonna happen. But that's okay to me. I'm excited to see the team being built like it should have been built in the first place, for pitching in defense, not for hitting home runs, because unless ownership is willing to change the dimensions of the ballpark and do some more wind abatement, the ballpark's never going to be a home run in ballpark, it don't means last in baseball right now. I think last I checked, there were ninety five home runs hit at Oracle Park, which is last. But I really think that this team needs to be built on pitching and defense and speed and then doubletitters, triple titters, and that's what I look forward to in the future.
Speaker 3: Rick, great call, appreciate you checking in this morning. You're right, the Giants need to improve their pitching at all levels of Major league level and throughout the minor leagues, which we have seen them pretty much address throughout the entire season, with them using twelve of their twenty draft picks this year on pitching. To your point, those guys are going to be a ways away, but then we also saw what the trades that they made this year at the deadline. You could see some pitchers that could contribute possibly as early as next season, if there is a season next year. And I don't know about how many guys from yesterday's current lineup are going to be in next year's current lineup, but there are still going to be a lot of layover pieces with the big contracts and some of the younger guys like your Bryce Oldrig's, your Daniel Sussas, your Casey Schmid and those pieces as well. So you're right, you need to fill in more with the pitching aspect than you do overall from a position standpoint. But that's why they've been so focused on adding more pitching to the organization over the last couple of months.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they have more open spots in the pitching department, whether it's three projected rotation spots at this stage that that guys are fighting to work their name into the conversation about and I would say there's I don't know, five, six, seven, eight bullpen spot, anywhere between maybe five and eight almost all spots and I eight man bullpen there's anywhere between five and eight bullpen spots open, So you're right, I mean there is. There are as many bullpen spots open as there are everyday position player.
Speaker 2: Lineup spots open. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's open season, it's try out season, and yeah, Rick, they're not looking to compete this year. I guess they're just looking to be competitive, if that makes sense. They're not focusing on the wins and loss record, but more about the journey and how they go through the process and if they're still showing up to the ballpark every single day. Engage, let's switch gears against a little forty nine ERD talk. Before we talked to bus or Posi this morning at seven point thirty, we've got more injury news. How does that make you feel? Forty nine ERD fans eight away Cambire, is it still Super Bowl or bus for this roster or has the season already been derailed by injuries? Give us a call. Eightaway, Cambire. It's Marcus Bouchet and John Dickinson on the Murphy Market Show on The Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Listen to The Sports Leader anytime anywhere download KNBR the Sports Leader app. Murph and Marcus continued live from the Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots Studios. Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpots are here. Where are you? Just drop in one eight hundred gamble.
Speaker 7: I've been around some great teams, though, right the stacks up there with one of the best teams I've been a part of. I mean, obviously we have to go out there and prove it. We're putting in the order to do that. But in Temple I had some really good teams, you know, play with Tom Abron, Chris gowin am. So this stacks up, stacks up right there, and hopefully that we can accomplish what we what I accomplished with.
Speaker 3: That team The Voice of Mike Evans. Earlier this week, Murph and I were down in Santa Clara at forty nine ers training camp. If you missed that interview, you can check out the entire interview on KMBR dot com or wherever you download your kambur podcast. It's Marcy's Bouchet and John Dickinson this morning, filling in for Murph today and tomorrow. Get you ready for our interview with Buster Posey at seven thirty. But switching gears a little bit reacting to those comments from Mike Evans talking about this forty nine er roster and how it compares to his Super Bowl winning roster with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Now, now, I have not compared these teams on paper head to head like Kevin Durant was doing with the twenty sixteen Warriors versus the excuse me, twenty seventeen Warriors versus the twenty twenty six Philadelphia seventy six ers. But just off the top of my head, I would guess that the forty nine ers might have had more future Hall of Famers than that Tampa Bay Buccaneers team. Now, obviously, you look straight at a guy like Tom Brady and Mike Evans is on his way. But you look at this current forty nine er roster, and I've made this argument before, there's legit four, five, maybe six guys that could be headed towards a gold jacket career, starting with the big Man himself, Trent Williams Easley a future Hall of Famer. We just mentioned Mike Evans, who had eleven straight consecutive one thousand yard season. Christian McCaffrey, in my opinion, is a future Hall of Famer, a man that can get you one thousand receiving yards one thousand rushing yards. George Kittle one of the best tight ends of this generation. I would put him on the list as well. Then you flip over to the defensive side, Fred Warner, I think he's a future Hall of Famer. Nick Bosa has the potential. That's six. Then you can make an argument for maybe some other guys around the roster. I'm sure a couple of people are gonna check in with brock Purty, but it's on a year six. I think it's a little too early to put a gold jacket on brock Purty.
Speaker 5: But my bigger point is JD. You look at this roster and overall it's one of the most loaded rosters in the NFL. So the question is should it be Super Bowl or bust this year?
Speaker 4: For the San Francisco four to nine ers it feels that way coming off of last year, and last year was sort of a pause from Super Bowl or bust at least going into the season. If you recall coming off of twenty twenty four and only winning the six games, finishing six and eleven, and what it was one of the last eight I think, or one of the last nine that I sort of lost count. I think they were five and four and ended up six and eleven, So I guess that would be what seven and or seven in the last eight, or maybe they were four and five anyway, and all runs down Trusure Matt it was one win in like the last two months, essentially going two years ago. And so that coupled with the financial reset that the forty nine ers did in terms of getting off with some veterans and trying to bring in an infusion of youth to reset their books, led to I think a little bit of lowered expectations outwardly for twenty twenty five. Now that was to be offset by the schedule, and so I think there was a belief that, hey, if things go well because of the schedule, could still make the playoffs and contend even in the NFC West and That's exactly what happened, despite the fact that they were ravaged by injuries to big time players and others throughout the entirety of that season.
Speaker 3: I mean, you talk about missing future Hall of Famers in those playoff games, and the product, the production, the performances that they were still able to put out there taking down the defending Super Bowl champions in the Philadelphia Eagle, and.
Speaker 4: To finish that point, it all leads back to I think they took not I don't know that they internally took up from it, because you still had Kittle there, and you still had Warner there, and you still have a lot of Ibosa coming into the season before all three of those guys eventually got hurt and of course brock Purty. So internally, I don't know that the standard changed, right, It's the standard as the standard. But I think if you look back coming into the year, it was definitely not super Bowl or bust last year. It may have become that because of the record and the run that the forty nine ers got on at the end of November and into December that led all the way up until Week eighteen and the game for the Division at Levi stadium that Seattle ultimately won, But I think the belief was that they were going to be too injury plague to make a meaningful run to the NFC Championship Game or get to the Super Bowl. And remember, it became remarkable as they kept losing guys that they kept winning, even if a lot of that was maybe because of the more favorable schedule that they had, especially toward the back end of the year. So I think there was a break from the outward expectations last year because of the way they performed in the adverse circumstances. Those expectations are one hundred and fifty million percent back, oh.
Speaker 3: Without question, especially when you look at the injury list, which is pretty long right now. But you look at the potential of getting guys back like a Nick Bosa, like Fred Warner, and then bringing in help from the outside. Guess who's back in town The Bully himself, number fifty seven, right in the middle, Dray Greenlaw, who dealt with some injuries last year, so there are some concerns there, but he's back in the middle with Fred Warner. So you're bringing some of that energy, You're bringing some of those vibes you're bringing some of that bully mentality.
Speaker 2: Back to your defense.
Speaker 3: You're also bringing it back on offense with the signing of Deebo Samuel over the weekend after last year we saw the yak Yards completely disappear from this Kyle Shanahan offense. We know that Deebo Samuel is a huge piece at the gadget in this offense. You bring in the additions of Mike Evans and Christian Kirk so jd out of all these off season additions, I'd even throw in a OsO Digiezua in the trade, bringing him into the defensive line, adding depth and maybe some interior pass rush. Which one of these offseasons additions do you think is gonna help put the forty nine ers maybe over the hump to get back on track to be in that Super Bowl content.
Speaker 2: Well, you mentioned the two that would come to mind.
Speaker 4: I think it's it's Mike Evans, to be sure, as a lead dog, number one wide receiver that that stylistically is is different as a future Hall of Famer than than anybody that they've had really in the last decade and a half. I mean, the one name that pops up was an Kwon Bolden's time during with the Harbaugh Niners the couple of years that he was there and extremely productive after he had obviously been with the Cardinals and the and the Ravens on that team that beat the forty nine ers in the Super Bowl. So Evans, I think is at the top of the list offensively. And you mentioned OsO A Digizua. I mean you give up a third round pick, yeah, for somebody. And again he's in his twenties, not his thirties, and so that's a young player in his prime, impactful on the interior of the defensive line. I think they really believe that he has the ability to ignite a defensive line that has not been as dominant in the ways that I think Kyle Shanahan and company want their defensive line to be dominant and had been dominant in the years where the forty nine Ers were on the comes as a Super Bowl contending team that was kind of led by their defense first as much as as Kyle Shanahan was cooking things up with different quarterbacks and running backs and personnel on the offensive side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's probably where I stand as well, because not to go too far back into some sore memories. But you look at those last couple of games against the Seahawks, and they got absolutely dominated in the trenches. They got all over. Now, of course, no Nick Bosa, no Mikel Williams, you're missing multiple pieces. Those guys are gonna come back and it's gonna give you depth. But overall, that defensive line needed help. So I love the addition of a guy like Osa Digazua, who can not only help you against a run, but he gives you really good pressure inside as a defensive tackle to maybe get some pressure up the middle, because we're talking about a defensive line last year without Nick Bosa that had twenty total sacks on the season, which was dead last.
Speaker 5: In the NFL. You can't win if you don't get to the quarterback. So I'd say even with all those additions I just named, Mike Evans, to your point, is going to be an impact playmaker. But I think I'm more confident in the offense's ability to move the ball in score points without Mike Evans than I am in the defense if they didn't have Osa Digazula. I think Osa might make the biggest impact just because of the depth that they need on the defensive line.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 4: I mean he helps the interior, and I think the hope is that he, along with Bosa's return, are going to help the outside as well. Having a better helps the outside as we still look at the outside and wonder whether the forty nine ers have enough in terms of the outside pass rush beyond Nick Bosa obviously coming back and with the hope that he's going to be a dominant, dominant player, so that there are I think that was part of why again you give up a third round pick for somebody like osa Odigi Zua. But you look at the injuries to the wide receiver room and Mike Evans being a part of that. They're counting on Mike Evans, and I think part of going and getting Mike Evans is the fact that you may not have George Kittle at the beginning of the season and you want to have the ability to have a go to guy, a trusted safety net for Brock Purty, and somebody that again can attack defenses in a different way than maybe the forty nine ers have been able to with at the wide receiver position through through the years.
Speaker 3: And you look at that wide receiver room right now after We've got the news over the weekend that Ricky Piersol would be shut down for the season with that season ending PCL surgery on his knee and the issue that he's been dealing with since last season. Injury updates from yesterday. Still know Christian Kirk on the field, who's dealing with the cafe injury. Mike Evans sat out practice yesterday with a quad injury, Rookie Dejon Stribbling sat out practice with a handsring injury, and now Jacob Cowing is also on the injury list with a hip flexer strain. I saw a stat yesterday that the forty nine ers were missing eighteen total players yesterday at Wednesday practice, which is twenty percent of their active ninety man roster right now during the offseason during training camp JD. It's same as different day. The injuries continue to pile on. I should note that some of the players missing practice yesterday, like Nick Bosa, Dre Greenlaw and Osa Digazua set out for general soreness day. Yeah, exactly, give him a day off, But still not the news you want to get this early on in training camp when this is something that derailed the season last year. They're able to work through that adversity, but it's got maybe people filling a little bit hesitant about calling the forty nine ers a title contender because of these injuries that keep on reoccurring.
Speaker 2: I think that's fair.
Speaker 4: And you look at them being back on the practice field yesterday after the off day. So you give some vets a little chance to rest, you give them two days, and then you go harder today. There's the jog through tomorrow before the hardest practice on Saturday. So in this block of four days, that's how they're trying to maneuver it as we get closer to these joint practices, and they've been so depleted in terms of the guys that are missing practice that there were questions yesterday about whether or not they might cancel the joint practice with the Titans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they've got the one coming up.
Speaker 4: The next two Tuesdays, they've got joint practice, one with the Titans and then one with the Chargers before they go down and play the Chargers in the preseason game number two on the twentieth. So they've got the Titans. All three of their preseason games are all three Thursdays. I think to align with the fact that their first game of the year is going to be on a Thursday, and get the schedule right for Australia, so they have a couple of joint practices while they're going to be facing those teams with the Chargers and the Titans respectively.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I know Chris Forrester was asked about those potential joint practices and if they could potentially be canceled because it was a couple of years ago. In twenty twenty four, the forty nine Ers were missing twenty three players and had to cancel their joint practice against the Saints. So that's something to keep an eyeing as we move forward and ford closer and closer to the NFL season. It's the Hall of Fame game tonight. Does anybody care? Eight away can beyond guess nothing.
Speaker 5: I will say I'll probably turn it on just to watch, just so I can get a taste of football. I'm gonna degenerate. I might throw some action down, get a couple of prop bets on Carson Becker.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't even know who's playing. It's the Cardinals and I believe it's the Titans tonight. I think o Titan. Okay, no, no, no, excuse me.
Speaker 3: Cardinals and Carolina Panthers, a rivalry that goes down is one of the greatest n NFL history.
Speaker 2: Yeah, same difference. Who really can wait? The Cardinals and the Panthers and they playing an NFC championship game once? Ooh, we're going back to what the Jake delm days. I think I think they played.
Speaker 4: They're more recently than that to go to the super Bowl here at Levi's do you I think maybe right.
Speaker 2: In twenty fifteen NFC cham maybe wrong? Does it really matter? That's the question? Eightawa Camby.
Speaker 5: Are we got Buster posed coming up in nineteen minutes at seven thirty eight am?
Speaker 2: So how about this?
Speaker 5: Eightaway camyre, what do you want to ask the president of Baseball Operations? And are you going to show up to the ballpark this weekend to honor the Wall of Fame, the Giants are putting five new faces on the wall, including Buster Posey, Brandon Crawford, Joe Panic, Brandon Bell, and Pablo Sandoval. Eightaway Cambi are rank them? Who's your favorite Giant? Who's your favorite going on the Wall of Fame this weekend? JD Quick thought, yeah, quick thought.
Speaker 4: I confirming right now the fact that, yeah, the NFC Championship game was in fact Arizona and Carolina in January of two thousand and sixteen, ten years ago.
Speaker 3: So yeah, time flies when you're having fun. We'll get ready for our buster posey interview next with JD. Philon in Fro Murf on the Murphy Marcos Show on the Sports Leader