Speaker 1: And we continue at one oh five in the afternoon on the John Phillips Show, mister Randy Wings in Culver City.
Speaker 2: John, we are six days away from the end of the June primary and the state of California has about a ten percent ballot return rate. In the city of Oakland, that return rate is seven percent.
Speaker 3: I said, hell no, baby boy, let me get up on out of here.
Speaker 1: Eight hundred two two two five two two two is Jellphone number one. Eight hundred two two two five two two two. It is our pleasure to welcome our next guest to the program. She is a candidate for state Superintendent of Public Instruction. You can get her online at shawforca dot com. Sonya Shaw, Welcome.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you for having me. I'm excited to be here with you guys today.
Speaker 1: Why should you be the next state Superintendent of Public Instruction?
Speaker 4: Do we have enough time? I'm just kidding me. Look at the results of the current system we have and fifty billion dollars being spent and kids are only at forty seven percent for reading at grade level thirty seven for math. You have the state fighting parents for you know, parents' constitutional rights. You have boys and girls sports and locker rooms. You have the kids entering the UC system that need remedial math because you know they have they're so far behind. I mean, I can go on and on why me, but we do have the blueprint and Chino Valley I got into this fight six years ago. I've been the board president for Chino for four years. We have a five member board now that focuses on education. And we've also been identified in California even as a recovery model since COVID, so we have I have the you know, proven results. I'm a fighter. I dope back down from a fight when it comes to protecting our kids. And a nutshell, that's why you need me as the one leading the charge here in California.
Speaker 1: California ranks near the bottom of the nation in just about every category. And when you look at Southern states that people typically from places like this look down their nose, Yet their reading scores are starting to pop places like Mississippi and Alabama in part because they have fully embraced phonics. In California. For whatever reason, phonics has become a lightning rod issue where there are institutional forces that have been fighting that for years. Why is it that phonics are so controversial when we know that it works.
Speaker 4: Because it's simple, it's common sense. They fight against anything that's common sense, and it's not giving these third party a special interest groups money to try a program and continuously having our kids as an experimental, you know, plan for them. So truly it's something that works, it has the research. But we know that. You know, California, unfortunately, the majority of the legislators and those elected are in the pockets of those that are their donors, and this is phonics isn't one of them. So they try all these other things and have all these other people's hands into our kids. And the education system and the unions, I mean, they fight us relentlessly against these things, even in our own district. But fortunately we have enough of at least in our own district, the majority of great educators that have jumped on board, and you know, they're willing to do everything possible to get our kids up to par. But I would also say again it's the unions that fight relentlessly against common sense thinks here in California. Unfortunately.
Speaker 1: What's wild to me is that the university systems in California, the community college is although there's fraud going on there with phantom students that has been exposed. But by and large, our universities are pretty good. UCLA, you see Berkeley, world class institutions.
Speaker 3: You see San Francisco, the.
Speaker 1: Medical school, the law schools at Bolt and Hastings. People from all over the globe want to go to these universities. I graduated from cal State Fullerton. I received an excellent education there, and it was priced quite competitively, I mean compared to what people pay in other states for in state tuition. My Battery's degree was pretty cheap. Yet K through twelve I don't know of anyone, anyone in my own social network who lives in a big city, whether it be La or San Francisco, or Oakland or San Diego, who's willing to send their kids to the public school system. They all send their kids to private schools. They lie about their address, and they send their kids to a suburban school district that still functions. But no one is willing in my network to send their kids to LAUSD, for example. Why is it that we have these world class institutions for higher education and our K through twelve system is trash.
Speaker 4: I mean pretty much because of what's going on with the unions and pushing this into the university's even the curriculum is that way. So I mean, for me, I see the fraud and the abuse and the mismanagement of money. L EOSD San Diego. They're both in deficits. We continuously see this, but unfortunately the universities aren't what right now currently aren't what you experienced back when you were in the university system as well. I mean again, we did you know? I was on Fox recently and one in eight of our students are needing remedial maths because of what is being happened in the K through twelve system. Honestly, it's just the failure of everybody involved. And we've seen it. I've seen it six years ago. We're sounding the alarm, we're trying to fix it, but we're being fought against relentlessly. One of my opponents comes from San Diego Unified, and he claims that his district, San Diego Unified, is the best, and he even says best one of the best in the nation. You're telling me your friends and colleagues and circles have taken their kids out of, you know, places like San Diego Unified. It's because they continue to gat fight those people that you know and tell them it's the best when we've seen the results. I mean, unfortunately, these kids are coming out of the system and they don't even know how to read. So again, I just see it as a continuous downhill spiral unless we get involved and we get and we get people in there that are willing to get their hands, you know, in there and change these things and fight against the machine that has been built to, you know, bring upon this felure upon our kids. But unfortunately, not all kids have that benefit as well as parents being able to pull their kids out. I pulled my kids out six years ago for a brief time until I went back in high school. We changed our school board. But it's really hard. I mean, I'm still trying to wake up people in our own community and tell them not to trust, and also to tell them to have those dinner table conversations. So we can't fix it with those people that are willing to fix it. But again, I think people are so busy that they don't even see exactly what's going on in their children's education every day until it's too late.
Speaker 3: Here's what I don't know understand.
Speaker 1: And I understand that unions exist to get more money for their members, better benefits for their members, and that's why they're here, and that's what they care about. But is there just no pride at all that exists in those circles. Because if I were a union leader and I understood that everyone in my district, every parent that lives in my community of means opts out of the system because the product is so bad and the only population that is left are people who have no other options, whether it be because of economic circumstances or whatever. I would be embarrassed. I wouldn't want to show my face in public. But they just don't seem to care at all.
Speaker 4: They don't care because at the end of the day, they're getting more money for failure. You see it, All the districts that are failing kids continuously get more money. It's in the legislation as well, I mean in the funding models. We just Ian knew some you know, he's even withholding some of our Prop ninety eight promised money. But at the same token, you see that all these grants are set up for districts that fail. They have no incentive to actually push kids in the right direction unless they're morally right, which we know look at the results of California. That's not by means anywhere near where we need to be here in California. I believe that as long as they get the money, they don't care. I mean, they're out loud and proud. They're taking kids for goodness States, even our vulnerable population, even our special needs kids, out to the picket lines to do dirty work of adults. This is just by design. I don't think that they care about the pride the results are there. I mean, wouldn't you be embarrassed. Unfortunately, we are losing a lot of great teachers, and we're also losing the opportunity for a lot of great potential teachers to sign up for this profession. And that's why you see the teacher shortage, because there is people that don't want part of it. My sixteen year old included grew you know, she she was growing up, she always wanted to be a teacher, and now she's like, mom, I don't want to be anywhere near being a teacher. And it breaks my heart because we would need people like her. But unfortunately, they see what's going on in the classrooms. They see the results of this generation that's growing up to hate America, and they're being pushed by the activists. What I call activists in the classroom. I don't call these educators. I call them activists in the classroom. This is by design. They're excited for this, and they again it deepening their pockets.
Speaker 1: It seems like we've jumped the shark to the point to where these districts are about the employees and the kids don't matter, and the kids are an afterthought, and the quality of education that they receive is something that's not particularly relevant. It's just making sure that we have the money to pay the salaries, that we have the money for the benefits, we have the money for new contracts, and as long as that happens, then everyone's happy and we're fine. But the districts are about the employees and not the kids.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: I see that too, and you know it's top down, unfortunately, and you see even with them wanting the pay the benefits, the ones that tenure, the ones that are you know, already cemented in there, they're getting this. But unfortunately, again we're going to not being able to retain our great newer teachers because they're being chopped off. We see districts all over California laying people off. I mean we see the sheets going through right now all the districts when they're doing their budgets for this next coming school year. It's absolutely horrifying. So at the end of the day, they're getting paid more, but how many teachers are they being able to retain? Not very many. I mean I saw, you know, LA Unified on the picket lines, one of the teachers saying he has forty two kids in the class. Well, they just gave a huge raise with you know, not living within their means, and guess what they're doing. They're laying off teachers. So you're creating that problem by continuously just feeding into the cycles. So you have those that are getting their pay, but you also have those that are being chopped off that are needed in the classroom, and the money, unfortunately, isn't going into the classroom. You have very little districts, you know, including ours, gratefully they're trying to do with what we have. But then again you have the bigger districts, you know, sucking it all up and asking for more money and then getting us the results that they do, requiring classes that have nothing to do with reading, writing, a math, and pathways to success as well. And that's where you know, we have people that are gratefully waking up. But I think it's almost at the point where we need a mass majority to wake up and stop voting in the same things. I mean, the union they put in what four point one million dollars in counting already into the selection. They want to buy every seat our school board seats are bought to by the unions, hundreds and thousands per seat. Parents need to wake up and demand that they get this voice at the table. Otherwise they're really just handing their kids over to a system that's created to fail them.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what it reminds me of.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of the bullet train, because people say, oh, okay, the bullet train's a boondoggle, it's a failure because there is no train, and Newsome and his press team snap at anyone who says that. They go, oh no, it's wildly successful. Look at all the people we've hired, look at all the jobs that we've created, and it's like, okay, but no one can use it because it doesn't exist, but from their point of view, it's just about the employees and just about making sure that people get paid, and whether or not the public can use it is just not something that's relevant.
Speaker 3: And that's how I see this.
Speaker 1: And part of the problem too, to go back to what we were talking about before, when people pull their kids out of the public schools and they put them in the private schools, the attitude is, Okay, this is such a dumpster fire. I don't have the time or the effort to be able to fix it. So I'm going to vote with my feet and I'm going to put my kids in a school that's actually functioning. The problem is they still have access to your tax dollars, so they can keep failing and failing and failing. But guess what, as long as they control the school boards and as long as they control the legislature and the governor, they're going to continue to be funded, whether or not they spend their districts in the insolvency. I mean, take Oakland Unified for example. I don't see how that district stays out of bankruptcy because they're a district that it has a declining enrollment. They have schools that probably should be shut down because there's nobody there, and they keep giving the teachers massive raises when there's no reason to justify that, and they don't have the money, they don't have the tax base, they don't have the financial support to fulfill their obligations with these contracts, and it seems like the attitude of the district and of the teachers is who cares, The state will bail us out.
Speaker 3: And if that's the attitude that they.
Speaker 1: Have, there's no physical responsibility anywhere.
Speaker 4: No, you're right, and the state has been bailing them out because you'll see all these you know, fancy little nice grants that they package up. They make them take it because they need the money and that's how they survive until the next grant comes along. Or you know, they're passing bonds for things that they should have the school boards of passing bonds on the onto the taxpayers again asking for more money when we had enough money. I mean, every single one of my opponents I've been in you know, conversations, debates, different kinds of you know things that we've all been on the same stage, so to say, as and they all say we need more money, I am mortified. That we're asking for more money for this. We have enough money. It just needs to be stopped. You know, we need to stop giving it to the wrong people and also stop you know, putting it into the failure continuously. You know. Again, well, I'll say that, you know, districts like ours, we we utilize the money that we get the right way, and we're trying to do the best, including fighting against when the union fights us on frivolous lawsuits for things that we were voted in and for like parents' rights, and making sure ideology is taken out of the classroom. But I mean, unless we unless we start which I am grateful that we have a movement going, start getting people to raise up and pay attention to these school board seats and the state superintendent seat. Look, the last sixteen months, I've done a lot of educating across California to show the importance of these quote unquote nonpartisan seats. But also in those rooms that I've been grateful to be in, I've gotten people to say they're going to run for school board. We need that, We need people in their own communities to be the voice. It's going to take time. This didn't happen overnight. Again, I wasn't involved in politics until it got slammed in my face and I saw what was happening to our kids, you know, when the schools were shut down. But I think there's enough right now where we can get people involved. We just have to, you know, not turn a blind eye to all these things. But you talked about private schools. Let's talk about one issue that is happening even in the private schools. First of all, though kids are growing up in the same communities and you know, prayfully it's staying in California if we can fix and make the changes that are needed to keep these kids here and they end up having families. But how about sports. The private schools are having to compete against the regular you know, school districts, and guess what we're doing. We're putting boys against those kids. So it is speeling over and people do need to realize although you might think that your kid is safe for a little bit of time, there's California laws that your kids are still going to have to face. And when they become eighteen and you know, they get a job and have to pay, there's still the consequences of what's happening if we don't start paying attention to what's happening into the public school system. I truly believe if we go back to the root of it, they want to control this generation and able to control it, you have to poison the minds of this generation, and that's what they're doing. They're making social activists instead of responsible adults. But you do see people fighting. I haven't given up. I'm not giving up. I know many people that aren't giving up. But we do need people to start paying attention and at least doing their a little bit apart.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that you were socialized into the world of politics. Based on the COVID nineteen shutdown of the schools, it seems to me that the state of California has not had the honest conversation that they need to have about what a massive mistake that was and what do we do to make sure that never happens again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, one thing we can do is vote differently. We can't keep voting in the same people. Look the state superintendent seat right now, they're trying to take the complete authority away, and they have the means to take it away. They have the ability, they have the super majority of legislators that will follow along and they'll probably pass this bill. But we don't need just someone in their short term to promise all these things. You need a fighter exposing these things so we have another awakening of parents to realize their kids are in harm's way. That's what I plan to do, to be honest, And with that we can start exposing the legislators that are making the laws, you know, that are preventing districts like ours from doing what's right for kids. Then you'll have a state you know voice saying hey, this is what your current legislator, your assembly person, how about your assembly person's the burgh who called parents and refer to them as Nazis because they're protecting their daughters from wanting boys in their girls' sports. And you know, locker rooms. How many parents know that? How many parents even know boys and girls are allowed to each other's locker rooms here in California? I can guarantee you, I would say more than half don't even know that's a law. But I really think again, you need somebody in the communities that's loud enough and more aggressive enough not to back down when they're threatening lawsuits. I mean we've been through the lawsuits to say no, we're not going to do this. We're not going to harm kids. And we need a full team to start focusing and showing these communities that they've been lied to and you cannot believe these lies because look at what's happening to your kids, right I honestly see hope, But I also see that we can ease just hand it over. If we retreat, we're in a position where people just get comfortable. I don't think right now is the time to get comfortable. And you know, if we don't start working down ballot and we don't start working on those city council and school board seats, we're in deep water. I mean, these people know, and they've they've designed this to put people in those you know, special interest groups put people into these seats for reasons. Look at our communities. I come from Chino, which used to be a dairy cow farm land type of area. They're all gone, and now we have a community. I mean, although I love Chino, we want to save what's left. They're building high rises in this and that and the other in our small little community. This is what they're doing.
Speaker 1: I design candidate for State Superintendent of Public Instruction. You can get her online at shop Orca dot com. Sonya Shaw, thanks so much for stopping by.
Speaker 4: No thank you.
Speaker 1: Eight hundred two two two five two two two is cellphone number one eight hundred two two two five two two tube. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so. Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: And Randy.
Speaker 1: Now that we've passed the halfway point of today's show, if you want to continue listening after we sign off at three, that's easy to do.
Speaker 2: All you gotta do is search for the John Phillips Show wherever you get your podcasts, and that could be the Apple Podcasts app. About a third of our listeners use that. That's what I use for podcasts. About another third use iHeartRadio. Some people use Spotify. A lot of people are starting to use YouTube because YouTube is like the place for podcasts. I watch most of my podcasts on YouTube, So.
Speaker 5: Google on YouTube.
Speaker 2: We are the number one podcast on the Cumulus News Talk channel, so why don't you subscribe to that? And then you can listen to us on YouTube, YouTube dot com, slash at Cumulusnews Talk. But either way, whether you listen listen on the website, you listen on one of our apps like the KABC app, the KMJ now app, the KSFO app. There are so many different ways to listen to what we're doing every single day and download all the podcasts. Isn't that right? San Francisco Supervisor and congressional candidate Connie.
Speaker 6: Chan absolutely.
Speaker 4: Ed.
Speaker 3: Coming up on election Day, we're playing a doubleheader.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be here from seven to nine PM giving you the election results. Is the polls close at eight, so we'll be doing a lot of pregame show at seven. Then the polls close, and if there's any races that are outright decisions, we'll have them for you. If there's anything too close to callwell we'll have that for you in about three weeks.
Speaker 1: And right now, it's time to open up the California Crime Blodder.
Speaker 2: If the cash's dummy, we could.
Speaker 7: Make this stuff up if we tried, I said, hell no, very boy, let me get up on out of here.
Speaker 8: App.
Speaker 7: It's the California Crime Bloater, and the first edition of Today's Blotter takes us to a place that every radio station employee despises to Jim.
Speaker 2: There is a serial gym thief, somebody who was just caught by the US Marshals that was going into gym's up and down the state of California getting a day pass so she could break into the lockers.
Speaker 1: What could you possibly find in a Jim locker sweaty socks or people's wallets.
Speaker 3: It's true, I guess.
Speaker 2: Or they're car keys.
Speaker 3: Also true.
Speaker 2: You know my little Pilate studio, they make sure to lock the door as soon as the class starts because it'd be very easy for somebody to walk into all the little cubbies and steal someone's wallet and their keys from their shoe.
Speaker 1: You know, I know you're not supposed to do this, But when I go to the gym, what I do is I just have a picture of my driver's license. I don't even take my wallet with me because I don't want to leave it in the gym, and I don't want to leave it in my.
Speaker 2: Car and knock on wood. I haven't been pulled over yet on the way there. That's pretty smart.
Speaker 9: Four.
Speaker 2: Here is ABC seven in the Bay.
Speaker 10: Forty year old woman is accused of buying day passes to San Francisco gyms under a fake name so she could steal credit cards from people's.
Speaker 2: Locks How passable were these fake names? I would love.
Speaker 10: To see what she used so she could steal credit cards from people's lockers. Police say she did it over and over again at crime spree starting last November and running for months.
Speaker 6: She's wanted for burglary in more than half a dozen communities across the Bay Area. ABC's have an eyewitness news reporter JR. Stone, spoke with people at San Francisco gyms who say this arrest is just scratching the surface.
Speaker 9: In San Francisco's Marina District, there are more than a dozen fitness facilities within a mile of each other. Now we're from police that US marshals arrested a quote prolific Jim locker thief targeting some of those locations. A woman taken into custody this week in Sacramento.
Speaker 2: That's really crazy, say look at this. Women can be criminals too.
Speaker 3: Now here's what's odd.
Speaker 1: Why is it that the FEDS arrested this woman and not the local authorities.
Speaker 3: Good question, that's really crazy. And she was coming in and stealing from the locker rooms.
Speaker 9: The suspect had nine warrants out for her arrest involving burglary cases in Bay Area locations including San Francisco, El Crito, Berkeley, Santa Clara, Oakley, San Mateo County, and Contra Costa County. Police saying the suspect would obtain a day pass under a false name than burglarized lockers and steal credit cards.
Speaker 2: So you don't need to really do any kind of verification when you want to get a day pass at one of the these exclusive gyms.
Speaker 3: I think as long as they get their money, they don't care.
Speaker 2: They might want to start caring.
Speaker 9: Police think the suspect would obtain a day pass under a false name than burglarized lockers and steal credit cards. US marshals made that one arrest in this case, but multiple people here in the Marina District tell me that at least some of these burglary cases were two person operations that happened when a fitness class had either started or was about to start.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's where you know that a good portion of the membership is all going to be occupied and busy and not paying attention.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because some of those classes can have thirty people in them.
Speaker 11: They came in, they looked a part, they wore leggings.
Speaker 2: Well, of course they're legit. They had their lilus on.
Speaker 11: They came in, they looked apart. They wore leggings, sports bra and then they came in act like they were going to work out. And as soon as the classes start, they just took the clients bags and their phones.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't they dead giveaway being that the person who checked in for the day pass checks out and doesn't have any sweat on them whatsoever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how come they aren't in the class either.
Speaker 9: Police, though have not said if they are looking for a second suspect, but did say the suspect arrested has stay away orders from multiple fitness businesses in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Well, there's like when you got a little list on the computer, do not let this woman in. She's a scoff law.
Speaker 1: Put her picture up, hang it on the wall like she's bouncing checks.
Speaker 9: Has stay away.
Speaker 2: I don't care if she is wearing Lululemons. Don't let her in.
Speaker 9: Has stay away orders from multiple fitness businesses in San Francisco. Fitness patrons we talked with.
Speaker 8: I'm totally surprised, very surprised at the fact that something like that is happening.
Speaker 11: You know, a woman.
Speaker 3: On top of that, I felt.
Speaker 2: Very Hey, this is twenty twenty six. Girls can grow up to be whatever they want to be, including criminals.
Speaker 3: Hasn't that guy ever seen Bonnie and Clyde?
Speaker 12: I felt very safe.
Speaker 5: But it's good to know so that I can picture lock up my stuff because I don't always lock it.
Speaker 2: If well, why if you have an opportunity to lock a locker, why wouldn't you.
Speaker 1: Well, it is a gym story, so of course we need some kind of appearance from a dumb bell.
Speaker 13: Good to know so that I can picture lock up my stuff because I don't always lock it. If I'm running late, sometimes I don't, And yeah, just kind of like leave it on the floor somewhere, because these classes.
Speaker 3: Are okay, also dumb.
Speaker 5: See.
Speaker 2: I was under the impression that this burglar might must have some kind of skill with breaking locks or breaking into locks, or has some kind of master key. No, it turns out a whole bunch of people in the marina are putting their stuff in lockers or just throwing it on the floor and not locking it up.
Speaker 3: No, they act like they live in rural Finland.
Speaker 13: If I'm running late, sometimes I don't. And yeah, just kind of like leave it on the floor somewhere because these classes get pretty packed and stuff like that. That definitely makes any thing twice.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, I will always lock.
Speaker 9: My hard Jr. Stone ABC seven Eye Witness News.
Speaker 2: So there you go. The serial gym thief has been busted by US marshals. If it was my guest, the reason the US marshals are involved, she's probably been doing this in several different states. I love the fact that these women who were the victims of this crime don't care if they get their identity stolen. The only thing they care about is that they're not fat. And right now it's time to reopen the California crime Bladder. It's happened yet again.
Speaker 11: This wow, wow, what's up here?
Speaker 3: Dun dun dunk dunk dun dun dunk dun reached the Califonia Crime Bladder with Jun.
Speaker 2: And this edition takes us to the mall, this time with the mall. Now you read it wrong, damn it. Male thieves not mall thieves.
Speaker 3: I need to get glasses.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you just glance at it, it does look like it would say mall thieves. You know what, let's give Johnny a little mulligan.
Speaker 10: It's happened yet again.
Speaker 7: Ooh nice see time for the California crime blodder.
Speaker 3: And Randy.
Speaker 1: This edition of the Blotter takes us to Mountain View, where male thieves were caught.
Speaker 2: There we go, that's exactly what's happening. People are stealing the mail in Mountain View. I don't understand why people want to steal the mail unless you want to get all of my Tom Styre flyers.
Speaker 3: What about if you steal the mail at the mall?
Speaker 2: Could do that fromar here is kpix in the Bay.
Speaker 14: Well, it has not been a great month for the city of Mountain View. First, it was that water issue when people in one neighborhood were left without safe drinking water for almost a month. Imagine thankfully that is.
Speaker 2: And that's an expensive part of the bay. Yeah, no kidding, that's Google Town.
Speaker 14: Thankfully that has been fixed. But now another neighborhood in the city has its own problem. After a string of mail thefts. People living there can't get packages delivered to their door. Instead, they have to wait until the middle of the day on Wednesdays and Fridays to pick up their packages at a postal annex.
Speaker 2: Andrew, Okay, that's a massive pain in the ass.
Speaker 3: Oh can you imagine now?
Speaker 2: You would think about how much junk the average person orders blindly on Amazon what have you? Every single day and you've got packages coming to your door every single day. Imagine of instead of the packages getting dropped off regularly because of mail thieves, you have to pick up all of your junk at once on a Wednesday afternoon.
Speaker 3: And I gotta be honest.
Speaker 1: I order stuff from Amazon when I'm bored, and immediately after ordering it, I forgot that I ordered it. So when the package arrives, it's a great big surprise. Every day is Christmas and johnny'saas to pick up.
Speaker 14: Their packages at a postal annex. Andre and Nakano explains why coming up with a better long term solution has been so challenging.
Speaker 12: This is where thousands of Mountain View residents are coming to pick up their mail a postal annex on lae of Anita Street.
Speaker 5: It's Mike, uh, my life, no convenia. You know, I have to come here and pick my mail on certain time and location.
Speaker 12: Mail pickup is only available on Wednesday and Fridays between ten and one.
Speaker 2: Penny says, you can't do better than that. Again, this is a very high tax area.
Speaker 3: That's pathetic.
Speaker 12: Mail pickup is only available on Wednesday and Fridays between ten and one. Penny says she's been doing this for about two months now because a raration of mail thefts.
Speaker 2: Two months of weekly mail pickups.
Speaker 1: Now that they mail all the ballots to you instead of voting in person like we used to do, I wonder if voter participation is falling off a cliff in Mountain View.
Speaker 2: Well, I just few Well, you know, I could actually check that for you real quick. Let's go to the city of mountain View in our ballot tracker. City of mountain in the Bay Area. No, not, city of Oakland, mountain View, give me mountain View. Mountain View doing better than Oakland and better than La Ten of forty three thousand ballots that went out, forty five hundred went back.
Speaker 3: Okay, so maybe not.
Speaker 5: Well, just a few weird white people still mill.
Speaker 12: According to the Postal Office, thieves are targeting large mailboxes at apartment and condominium complexes, getting quick access to a large hall.
Speaker 2: Ye, you steal one master key, you get a whole building.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 8: The issue is with that. First of all, the resident have their MIL student, credit card, stoleon, the bit CARLT student confinerential information like tax information, so so security things student as well.
Speaker 12: Or Reel says, this has been going on for a long time. He adds, they fix it.
Speaker 2: I will say MX sends your stuff FedEx for a reason.
Speaker 3: Those cards aren't getting lost.
Speaker 12: Oriel says, this has been going on for a long time. He adds, they fix the mailboxes quickly, but thieves are even faster at breaking into them again.
Speaker 8: So when we fix them, maybe a few days after they come back and they do exactly the same thing.
Speaker 12: Oriol says. They are working with apartment and condominium complexes.
Speaker 2: So you know they're going to target the same mailbox over and over and over again. So how do you not have security footage ready or a security guard ready, or the police ready.
Speaker 1: I think it's going on all over in Mountain View. Oriole's twin brother, Blue Jay, he had his mail stolen two.
Speaker 12: Oriole says, they are working with apartment and condominium.
Speaker 2: I'm proud of you, are you right now? Of that one? Very went over my head for a second, and then I realized what you were doing A stupid baseball joke.
Speaker 3: It was a bird joke.
Speaker 12: Oriole says they are working with apartment and condominium complexes to figure out a permanent solution. One idea has been to create some sort of enclosure to make it harder for the thieves to break in. Residents, though, are clearly frustrated and are hoping to get mail delivered to their homes soon.
Speaker 5: I warre it about this, like why why life change?
Speaker 2: Sounds like someone's car is getting broken into behind her as she's being interviewed for this spot. Maybe the car had a pile of mail in the passenger seat.
Speaker 5: I warre it about the this, like why why life change like this? I worry about the you know, the safety everything.
Speaker 2: Well, life change like this because Gavin let prisoners out of prison.
Speaker 3: That poor woman was at a lost words now.
Speaker 14: Back in February, Mountain View police say they arrested a married couple who they say they caught stealing more than fifteen hundred pieces of mail. But people say that has not stopped the problem.
Speaker 2: Really, a husband and wife male thievan Duo.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what they say, randy. Couples that steal mail together stay together.
Speaker 2: So there you go the growing inconvenience in Mountain View, Google Town. Why don't they send all the mail to Google? Google can figure this out. They can't get their mail unless they go to the postal annex once a week because of NonStop rampant male Thievan. I wonder if this is a profitable endeavor, because I don't know. Maybe in the nineteen eighties people used to send cards with money in it, and gift cards and those sorts of things. People would order things from the Sears catalog. All I get in the mail is junk junk and bills and mailers and did There's not a whole lot of things that go in the mail. Who's sending you a check? In twenty twenty six in the mail when we have Venmo, we have zell like. But if you figure, they wouldn't be doing this unless they figured out some way to make money.
Speaker 3: Off of it.
Speaker 1: The only thing I get in the mail now I get political advertisements. Well now that bed, bath and beyond is got under my mail has been cut in half.
Speaker 3: I get the Penny Saver.
Speaker 1: I get these random ads with coupons to places like Del Taco, and then I get advertisements for dentists and realtors where they all look like prostitutes. But that's it. There's nothing of value that's in that box. Sometimes I go a week and a half without even getting it because I know there's nothing in there that I'm interested in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sometimes I'll finally reach for the mailbox when I feel add that the post off the mailman has to stuff so much stuff in my tiny little box, because I know it's all useless junk.
Speaker 1: Well, when I go on vacation, I don't have anyone get my mail. And someone said to me on this last trip, are you worried that people are going to take your mail? And I said no, then it's their responsibility to throw it out, not mine.
Speaker 2: Ha