Speaker 1: Now the beautiful summer evening in Ohio the Giants and Guardians, Game two of the series. I'm John with James Manage to Tony Vicello and Tony the we're kind of eagerly awaiting the arrival of tug bowt Wilkinson and he's in and he's gonna start tonight. So what's the plan for him in this one.
Speaker 2: We'll see as the game goes on.
Speaker 3: Obviously Step one has just calmed the nerves a little bit. He's a guy who was really amped up to pitching triple A and you know, Brundy and the guys kind of had to settle him down a little bit. Will you add in the fact this is a big league outing, it's his debut, and it's also where he lived for a couple of years, said.
Speaker 2: He lived about ten miles from the park here.
Speaker 3: So I think just calming his nerves and getting him out there will be great.
Speaker 2: Regardless of how the outing goes. But how the outing goes and what we want to do with some.
Speaker 3: Other guys will dictate kind of how we do innings two through nine.
Speaker 1: And as I understand it, he's been starting his pitch down has built up what one hundred already.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's his pitch count and triple A was one oh one was his max. And so he's done a little bit of everything in his career. And really my experience from from knowing him as he's pretty flexible. He's pretty much agreeable to whatever you want to ask him to do.
Speaker 2: He just likes to compete. Baseball is kind of.
Speaker 3: His little outlet in life, and and he pitches like that. So again step one will be getting him his first big league action, and then we'll kind of see how we want to manage what he's going to do with us with the roster being the way that it is now. He and Sam of course are only two lefties. Of course, wizen Hunt being a lefties starter too.
Speaker 1: All right, now, how would you describe him in terms of his delivery and the kind of stuff that he throws.
Speaker 2: He's more athletic than you think.
Speaker 3: He's not gonna win any He does not look like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his uniform, but he is pretty athletic. And then the thing about him that's curious tonight is he's making his debut against their starter Messick and they're both kind of the same they like.
Speaker 2: To use their fastball.
Speaker 3: He doesn't quite have the velo that Messick does, but they both attack with their fastball.
Speaker 2: And by the word attack, I mean they attack.
Speaker 3: They let it go and they throw with conviction, and it's a little bit of it here. It is hit it approach. So it'll be interesting to see how similar those two guys look, and in the first inning particular, how effective is that fastball?
Speaker 1: Are there any peculiarities? Is there some deception in whose delivery? Is there a good carry on whose fastball?
Speaker 3: That kind of thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got a little bit of carry. I mean again, I would compare both guys.
Speaker 3: I know we haven't got to Messic yet. You know people talk about a ride fastball or an invisible fastball. Well it's not invisible, but certain fastballs move different than others and they're tough to square up. So we'll see how the first big league get outing goes. But we're certainly hoping the fastball is tough to square up. He's actually pretty good at holding on runners and he's got a good off speed mix. But again, I think the heart and soul this game is gonna be, especially in the first inning. Who handles fastballs better on offense and who locates it or attacks the way they want to with it on defense?
Speaker 1: All right, So the major League debut of chug Boat, and the story I heard was that when he was in Little League running the bases, so I don't know, his uncle or somebody nicknamed him the chug boat because of the way he was moving not that quickly around the bases.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it probably caused him to move on from the position play and just into pitching only. But it's a nickname that's stuck, and like I joke with you yesterday, it happened again today someone brought up his name and I did know who it was this time, but it took me a second because they didn't refer to him as Tugboat. But yeah, he's got a good personality to him, and he's all on board with the nickname, and he's very well known no matter where he's gone. He trained with a guy coached, you know, out of a junior college and played at a junior college where Ian Kinsler played and many other really talented players down there in Arizona.
Speaker 2: So he's got a good background.
Speaker 1: All right. The Giants and the Guardians, Chug Bolt Wilkinson his major league debut. More with Tony Bicello after this, not more with Giants. Back to Tony by Cello and Parker Meshik going for the Guardians. You talked about him a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, but his numbers are great.
Speaker 1: He's been a premier starting pitcher in the American League this.
Speaker 3: Year, yeah, he has. And Griffin's a good compliment to him. You know, a lefty that might have as many wins as any lefty in the league, or at least close to it. But Messick does it a little bit differently. Griffin kind of stands out there and pitches a little bit.
Speaker 2: I don't you know. He's not exactly like Tom.
Speaker 3: Glavin, but a little bit more in that mold, whereas Messick is maybe in the mold a little bit more of Scooble And hopefully he doesn't pitch as well as Scooble tonight, but again, he kind of grabs that thing and wings it right at you. And it's really what you want your pitchers to do is challenge the hitter. I feel like our hitters have a good plan in place and they have a good understanding of what's coming at him.
Speaker 2: But between the lines, is where it's got to get.
Speaker 3: Done and it'll be a tough challenge against a lefty that's, like.
Speaker 2: You said, stacked up some pretty good numbers.
Speaker 1: So here we go, the Giants chug WoT Wilkinson against the premier young lefty of the Guardians Messic and that's the Tony Vitello Show for today.