Speaker 1: It's time time to bring the forty nine ers to the forefront.
Speaker 2: Let's go time time. This is the best team that they can put on the field this year. Welcome to Niners Nightly. You guys are gonna hear it the latest from the locker room, the latest from the podium, the latest scuttle from the players. On your proud home of forty nine Ers football.
Speaker 3: K and br V Sports Leaders, your faithful fix with your host Larry Krueger begins.
Speaker 2: Take phone calls. We'll talk Niners for a full hour, fired up, really excited. No no, no, no no, and away we go. It is Niners Nightly, Late night, late night edition. As we come to you at eleven minutes after nine. We're already well on in our way to our to our nine o'clock hour, but we open up the phone lines at eight. Away kmbr And what do you think about the forty nine ers coming into this year? Today was a long day, got up at three o'clock in the morning, flew to La so I could be there for joint practices. And you say, Krug, you're maniac. Well you know what the schedule this week? The Niners are off tomorrow, right, and then they they play the game Thursday, which is you know, of course that will be on TV, but that's almost kind of like an off day as well. And then they're off on Friday, so it's like, hey, you know what if you cover the forty nine ers. You know, today was the day, I mean to, this was the day to you know, extend and be at the joint practice. And it did not disappoint. You know what was really interesting there was not one fight, not one. And I asked Harbaugh about it because Alex Boone told me last week that Harball used to have a rule when he was with the Niners that if you threw a punch, you were fined twenty five hundred bucks. And he said. Boone told us that one time he threw three punches in a game and like Carball's like, hey man, you'l seventy five hundred bucks. And I asked Harbor about that today and He's like, had no recollection and I don't know, I don't remember that. I don't know, you know, Jim's kind of an odd duck sometimes, but I asked him, I said, well, you know, the Niners had twelve to fifteen fights with the Titans. You know, what's your approach to the practice. And he's like, hey, we're here to get work done. We're trying to get ready for the season. And they came out today, the Chargers did. They were very professional. And then after the practice, I said to Shanahan, I'm like, Kyle, you know the last practice, you guys said twelve to fifteen fights. None today not one, Like what did you say to these guys? And He's like, I attributed to the coach. You know, the head coach of the Chargers is really professional, and he's he's you know, he's taking a dig at Sala and everybody started laughing because we all know Solas's buddy. But Kyle also made a point. He's like, you know, sometimes when practices, the joint practices start with fisticuffs that it just can't get out of that lane. You know. It's like it's like that's the tempo, that's the that's the mood is guys are throwing hands. And I mean watching Niners Titans last Thursday, it was like they fought on the third play, and then the fifth play, and then the seventh play, and then the eighth play, and then the tenth play and then the twelfth, so they were throwing hands early, and it was the young Niner defense. The Niner offense didn't weren't weren't really fighting. It was the Niner defense. And the Niner defense is really young. Well, the Titans team is really young, and they're also not a super Bowl contender. They've won three games back to back years, so you know, maybe that's all they got is the is let's brawl it out with the Niners. Where this Charger team is a super Bowl contender and they they've got high expectations for their year and they're trying to get things done. And I watch mostly the Niner offense against the Charger defense. The way their fields were set up, it was like back to back and you had to choose one or the other. And I was just on the field side that had the Niner offense, and I thought the Niner offense looked pretty good. I asked Brock at the end of practice, I said, Brock, how'd you feel about it? And He's like, you know what, I didn't like it. I mean, he basically was pissed. He's like, you know, we didn't play well at the end. You know, Kyle's like, we looked pretty good early. But in the move the ball drill, we didn't move the ball, and in the red zone we didn't score. And in the you know, the team drills, we didn't get the you know, we didn't get the moves. We didn't make the kinds of plays that Kyle wanted to see them make. So he was not particularly happy, and obviously he said something to the team, because Perdy talked to us after and basically echoed what Kyle said, which is like, hey, look, we got to be better than that. We were, you know, we weren't very sharp today. But the first part, you know, I thought Brock was making a number of interesting plays. Sometimes he completes like a ridiculous percentage of his passes, like eighty percent of his passes today, that wasn't the case. The windows were tight, the coverage was tight. Derwin James is a stud. He's an amazing player, and he got his hands on a number of footballs. And I would say that the Niners, you know, struggled to protect rock Party and then that also kind of that's another weird thing about these joint practices, Like when you struggle to protect your quarterback, then it's like d Lineman tag off in your quarterback, but the play continues. And then some of those plays Rock Party threw balls down the field and connected, you know, to Stribbling or Evans or DeMarcus Robinson. But we just saw Khalil Mack tag off on him. So it's like you put it down in your notes as that was a sack, But in reality, the play continued and we got a party to you know whatever, party to Jacob cowing down the field pass play. So you got to kind of watch it and figure out what you're watching, because you know, a lot of times the running backs, they don't tackle the running backs to the ground. They tag off on the running backs. So a lot of times the running back will get tagged off, but then he keeps running and then maybe he runs thirty five yards down the field. But was that a thirty five yard run? Or was that a thirty five yard run after Nick Martin had a three yard loss in the backfield, you know what I mean. So the joint practices are hard to evaluate just in real time. If you sit there like the coaches and you can roll that film back and forth and then you can say, okay, you know this is what actually happened on this play. This is what actually happened on that play, And they probably have a different account, like the Niner coaches probably have a different account of how things went today. But I would say one thing that's really clear when you take Nick Bosa and mckel Williams off the field for the forty nine er defense, they don't have players that can replicate Nick Bosa and Mickel Williams. They didn't put any heat on Herbert. Herbert carved them up lots of pass plays. They also have lots of speed, and the Niners secondary is not a burning secondary. And Brennan Thompson, the Wazoo rookie who runs like four three two or whatever, he's just super burner, probably one of the fastest guys we've seen come into the league in the last two or three years. You know, he's running right by jy Yr Brown. It's just a mismatch as far as speed. So when you don't have Bosa and you don't have Mkel, you're not putting pressure I mean up the you're not putting pressure off the edges, and then you're not setting the edge in the run game. So we saw mari On Hampton and Keaton Mitchell just truck Niners and run away from them all day. I mean, every time I looked over there on the binoculars, somebody was busting out of fifteen or twenty yard run. And it's just because you know, and it's not it's not the forty nine ers of this horrible team. But they're missing Nick Bosa and Michel Williams. And then the two's at defensive end or Samo and Keon White. Keon's coming off an ankle. So then you got Quinton Bell, he's undersized. You got Ramelo Heid he's undersized. You got Ogbo Aronquo, he's a little bit undersized. So you got some guys off the street and the Xavier Thomas, Victor de Macage, Quinton Bell. These guys were signed off the street. They're not great players, They're they're street free agents. So you know, there's some there's some issues there with depth on that defensive front. And the Niners have some special players, but if they don't have Nick Bosa and they don't have Mkel, they're not gonna look as good. So defensively, I thought that was the issue. No mckel, no Bosa, couldn't stop the run. Couldn't know, couldn't set the edge in the run game, didn't burn the edge at Herbert, and Herbert did whatever the heck he wanted. Now, the one guy on defense that should have been given an award today is OsO Digie Zua. What a phenomenal pickup OsO Diggi Zua is for the forty nine ers. Dallas traded a really good defensive tackle to the Niners in the prime of his career, and he dominated today. Oh my god, Chargers have really good offensive tackles, their interiors not the best. And OsO Diggy Zua. I mean, I probably counted five times that he tagged off on the quarterback. He probably had five sacks. He really was back there and giving them all they wanted. So he looked amazing and continues to just play at a really really high level. But everybody else just okay, just okay. I mean, the linebackers weren't making tons of plays, you know, the secondary looked like they were outgun speed wise. We saw a couple plays here and there. Upton Stout made one nice play, but it was the Niner defense got worked I thought the Niner defense got kind of worked over pretty good. Now on the other side of the field, the Niner offense. You know, you don't have Christian McCaffrey, but what you did have today was Kaylon Black. And you know, the forty nine Ers don't just need good players out of this draft. They need great players. What was the last time the forty nine ers drafted a great player? Brock Purty. If you want to call them that, some people don't. Won't even call them that. The Niners at twenty look at the Niner twenty one draft, twenty two draft, twenty three draft. There's nobody there. There's nothing there. They missed on those three drafts. They badly need great young players in the worst way. They don't need somebody who can make the team. They got enough guys who can make the team. They need somebody who's gonna start. They need somebody who's gonna star. You know, you look at their their team. Hittle is a star, older BOSA star, older Trent Star, older CMC star, older, Fred Starr, older Bosa star old, Their Drew Green lost are older. Who's their young stars? Well, today was a great day on that front because Kaylon Black and day Sean Stribbling looked great today. Not good, not pretty good, not very good.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 2: Kaylon Black is so quick, so explosive, he can block, he can catch. You know, watching Khalil Herbert and Zamir White and you know, I mean just watching their Patrick Taylor and you know, watch it Sincere McCormick and then put Kaylon Black out there. It's like, WHOA, this guy's running at a totally different speed. This guy is playing at a totally different level. The most exciting part I think about the Kaylon Black thing as far as people being impressed by him. What makes him so great is the power and that he has in the legs. He's an amazing short yardage runner. But nobody knows that yet because most people who cover the Niners don't watch college football, and they didn't watch this guy in Indiana. They watched him a little, but they didn't watch them a lot. They don't realize most of the people who cover the Niners have no idea that Kaylon Black is one of the best short yardage running backs to come into the league in quite a while. He's got power in those legs, that's his greatest strength. There's bigger backs, there's faster backs, there's backs that catch it out of the backfield better. There's backs that hit the hole harder, there's backs, I mean, but this guy he had he averaged three to two three point two yards after contact this year. That's a great number, that really is. And if you watch him, that's his thing where the Niner fans are gonna love Kaylon Black is that when you get to third and two, you can add it to him and he's gonna get those two every time. Or in the fourth quarter of a game when you're looking to put the game away and you you don't want to put your defense back out there again. You want to finish the game with your offense. Kaylon Black is gonna get that those extra yards. You saw if you watch him in the Senior Bowl. You saw it. First play from the Senior Bowl. They blocked it for about two three yards. He went for five or six. Great second effort. Second play the Senior Bowl was blocked for like five or six yards. He went, he runs his five or six yards. But wait a second, he's still going second effort, third effort. That run he ran, he ran eight yards and he got the first down. So that's his greatest thing. Man, he is. He's such a strong back. He's such a good he can push the pile, he can run through arm tackles. This guy is gonna be the guy. He's gonna be a continuity piece. He's gonna be the reason that your offense stays on the field because he's gonna convert those third downs. To see MC have a weakness, not many, but if there is one. He's not a great short yardage back. I mean, he's good on the he's good in the red zone, don't get me wrong. But as far as pushing the pile and a real power driver, he's not. That's not CMC. That's not who he is. That's not He could do it a little, but he doesn't. That's not his bag. This guy is a great compliment to CMC. So Kaylon Black, who's been out for about a week with a groin strain. They call it the adductor muscle. Now it's no longer a groin, it's an adductor. So he's he was back and he was phenomenal today. Phenomenal just you know, up and down the field, hitting the whole quick, powerful, explosive, decisive. Steve Weisch did a whole thing in the NFL Network about the great backs that he saw today and he's talking about a Mario and Hampton. He's talking about this kid, Kaylon Black. So that's number one. Number two day Sean stribbling is really really exciting. H huge hands over ten inch hands. There's very few guys who can watch them, you know, in their uniform and say, wow, that guy's got big hands. Most people you can't spot big hands. Nobody, the average person can't say, oh, you know, if this guy's got eight in the third inch hands, and then somebody else could watch, Oh, look at this guy. He's got ten inch hands. Most people can't pick that out. But man, you can see this guy's gigantic myths. And he is catching the ball so much like a veteran. I mean, most rookies don't make contested catches. They don't catch it in a crowd. They drop it, they juggle it, they don't catch it cleanly. This guy is catching the ball in traffic, in the middle of the field, contested catches, ripping it away from veteran you know, dbs. And he's doing it regularly, and he's got four to three speed and he's six to three and he's like, you know, he's just totally undeterred by you know, the step up from Ole Miss to the NFL. He's most rookie receivers do nothing. Heck, Jerry Rice struggled as a rookie. You got it going of course in the in late in his rookie year. And of course we all know he you know, when he got it going, he never stopped going. But Jerry, if we had Jerry here right now, he would tell you, man, he struggled with concentration drops as a rookie. There's a lot going on. Your head's spinning, you're learning these plays. Being a wide receiver at the NFL level is like way, way, way more complexity to what you see any college program. In college, they hold up like a purple card. Your this is your play, this is your this is what you need to know purple. In the NFL, it's like, we need you to run this route and it's got an option to it, and it's got to be run at eight yards of depth, not six, not ten, you know, and and then and and and if you you know, there's there's variables that come into the play, if you know, depending on what the defense does. It's a lot more complicated. And so guys can't play fast because they're thinking. And if you're thinking, you're not you're not running and you're not playing top speed. And that's what you know. Dejon Stribbling should be right, he should be a rookie wide receiver who's struggling with the complexity of an NFL offense. But no, he's not. He's catching everything that's thrown his way. He's making contested catches in the middle of the field. I mean, there's a bunch of guys giving him different nicknames. Somebody's like in the middle of one of the old lignement was like, what do they call him stribbler? Stribbler or something like that. Today go Stribbler. But he's he's real, man, He is real, and he's really you know, Dejon Stribbling and Black are not just going to be on the team. They're gonna be major Key Coggs on the team. Kaylon Black's gonna be one of their better backs. He's RB two for sure. Dejon Stribbling may wind up being their best receiver this year. I know they have Mike Evans, I know they have Debo. I know they've got DeMarcus Robinson looking great. They've got Jordan Watt Stribbling looks like he's got the potential to take over the number one gig here. So those two guys looked really good. Shanahan told us after practice that CMC is not holding out. It's not contractually related. He says, he's still tight. I just they don't want to play him in August. Why would you. He's had four hundred and fifty plus touches last year. No no player in the NFL in the last decade has had even four hundred touches. CMC had four fifty plus when you count the playoffs. So hell if you were going to use this guy in July and August. Shannan said it today, you know, And I was telling people this the last two days. I'm like, he's not holding out, and he's and he's not out because he's hurt. He's out because he's super valuable and they can't afford to lose him. And it's the middle of August and they don't play a real game until September the tenth. And Shanahan said it today after practice. He's like, if this was a week one game, CMC would be out there. And then he said, and by the way. The same thing goes for Bosa. So Bosa's not hurt. Bosa was sprinting full bore just two days ago. CMC tightness. I'm not saying he's not tight, but once again Shannan said it today, if there was a if this were a week one game, he'd be out there, They'd both be out there. So CMC is going to be there, Bosa is going to be there. The bigger concern is it doesn't look like Michel Williams is going to be there week one, and he may have to go on the pup. And it doesn't look like George Kittle is going to be their week one and he may start on the pup. So a lot of talk about Bosa and CMC, will they be there, will they not be there? Well, I think they're gonna be there, but Michel and Kittle may not be there, and they those are two key key guys for the forty nine ers. Another guy who had really nice day to day, Deebo Samuel looks terrific. He probably took the biggest pop of the day, but man, he looks lean and mean. I don't think I've seen Deebo look this good physically since twenty twenty one when he had his amazing year where he scored fourteen touchdowns. So he looks primed for a big year. That would be odd if he had one, but I wouldn't I you know, I don't think it's out outside the realm of possibility that he could have a bounce back year. Trent Williams said it to us the other day. He's like, this is the best I've ever seen Deebo Samuel as far as conditioning, and I agree. Once I saw that he was in that kind of shape, I'm like, sign this guy you kidding me. He's got two modes. When he's out of shape, you don't want him, and when he's in shape, you desperately want him. And he's in shape. So that was a good thing. We saw that today as well. All Right, we'll take a time out. Raj Melwune's gonna join us. He is the czar of all that is RSF forty nine ers. If you want to chime in, feel free bang the number eight aweight cambr How do you feel about the Niners as we sit here in mid to late August, just a couple of weeks from week one? Do you feel like this is a Super Bowl team. Do you feel like this is a team that's gonna gonna disappoint? Aightaway Cambr if you want to chime in, we can take some of your calls, but we will welcome Raj Melwaune to the CAMBR airwaves. Next, I'm the sports Leader. This is where you get your faithful facings Niners Nightly with Larry Krueger.
Speaker 1: It keeps a rolling on KNBR the Sports Leader and.
Speaker 2: We keep things rolling. It's Niners Nightly, Larry Krueger with you. Lengthy day today was in LA for the joint practices. We're back and we're here doing Niners Nightly, and we welcome to the line Raj Melwanee, who does an amazing job with running his YouTube channel and all that he does with RSF forty nine ers. You've probably read many many of Raj's postings on the Niners, not even knowing that that's his deal RSF forty nine ers. And he's with us on the UMA guest line to talk some Niners after attending almost all of training camp. Raj, always great to have you and and today was a fun day Niners and Chargers joint practice in Southern California, and didn't sound like Shanahan was too pleased, didn't sound like brock Pertty was too pleased overall with kind of the way the offense, the Niners offense went about things. But I was just saying in the last segment, Dejon Stribbling and Kaylon Black, if there's something to be genuinely excited about the forty nine Ers have added significant players there and who knows what they're going to contribute this year, but it's going to be big.
Speaker 1: Yay. What's up, Larry?
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it's always a pleasure getting on and chatting up with you. And I'm so excited for Stribbling and Black. You know, today Black first practice back, you know, after dealing with the hip injury for a while. So it's good to see him. And he looked like he had a lot of juice in his legs. Stribbling, oh man, he looks great in preseason. He's building upon it whole business. I am so excited about Stribbling, you know what, both.
Speaker 1: Of those guys.
Speaker 3: The funny thing is the media said that the Niners reached and if they can prove themselves and showcase why the Niners really drafted him and have a great rookie season. They get the last last. So yeah, it's nice to see both of those youngsters play good. We know we have a lot of good you know, veteran stars on the team, McCaffrey and Debo and Kittle, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: We need some good young stars to be the next you know, Kittle and Debo and Warner etc.
Speaker 2: Like that.
Speaker 1: So good to see those guys playing good so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, how do you change your football team. You change your football team when you can add great players. I mean, would Seattle have won the Super Bowl last year without Nicky man Wori and without the Gray Zabel, you know, their starting guard. They got a great year at a Zabel at guard. They got an amazing year out of e Man Warrior who became this like kind of chess piece, you know, strong side linebacker with cornerback coverage ability and allowed them to play all kinds of funky defenses and rag I don't think Seattle wins last year, well, they definitely don't win as impressively as they did without those two guys. So having rookies that not just are on the team, but you know, can be like some of your better players. It can change the dynamic of your entire franchise.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, you need impact rookies.
Speaker 3: You can't just have you know, rookies that are going to develop up to maybe become a starter or a fringe starter. You need players that are going to become the next wave of your team, the next four players. Again, they have a lot of great players over the years, like Kittle and everything, but eventually they're not going to be on the roster and we need.
Speaker 1: That next wave. And you have to have good young.
Speaker 3: Players that can kind of take the team to the next level.
Speaker 1: And I think we have them.
Speaker 3: With those guys. We'll see, you know, this preseason. We'll see how it goes through the regular season. But so far, especially Stribbling, I mean black guys have played in the game yet we saw him look, you know, pretty good in training camp practice today. But Stribbling so far through everything, you know, the mini camp, the training camp, everything has looked so good.
Speaker 1: And if he continues in this trajectory, he might be the guy to take the Niners over the top, just like Ewan Moury. So we'll see.
Speaker 3: I'm excited. Stribling has done nothing but great things so far, and I can't wait for week two of preseason. So I want to see him build upon last week. I mean, I want him to play the whole game last week.
Speaker 2: Oh, I hear you, I hear you. I mean, you know when you watch stribling, the thought that quickly comes about is is this guy their best receiver? Is this guy better than Mike Evans at this point? And he might be, he might be. I mean, obviously Evans is going to the Hall of Fame, but as far as impact this year, we're gonna find out. You know, Evans is interesting, He's a he's a prolific receiver. He's had a little bit of a quad. He didn't finish practice today because of the quad. He didn't seem overly nervous about it. I kind of get the feeling that, you know, because Shanahan and Lynch know that there's some age on this roster that some of the guys who are you know, make up that age, Evans and Debo and some of the CMC bosa, they're not gonna push it with these guys. Maybe in past years they would have, but they're just not going to. I mean, Mike Evans, I don't think had to come out of practice today, but you know what, they want to make sure that he's one hundred percent for Australia. And you know, so they they they were they're using extra they're being extra cautious. But it's playing to a lot of the public like the Niners are walking wounded. But I don't know, because I kind of feel like there's a handful of those guys on this injury list that aren't necessarily really hurt. They're just dinged and they don't want to see a poll turn into a tear and so they're just really taking it real slow with some of their veteran players. I think it's the wiz. I think it's the wise move.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, I think it's a smart thing. It's like load management in the NBA. In the NFL, you can't really do that, but this is the way you get around it. You say, oh, yeah, he's got a soreness, he's got a pull, he got a strain or some minor injuries, and oh, Mike Evans didn't need to go to training camp practice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he needs a guy to get in shape and.
Speaker 3: You know, get his you know, rust off of him and stuff like that, which he's done, but he needs to make sure he's ready. He doesn't have any major injury going into week one. Same thing with Bosa and you know Christian McCaffrey, three of the best players in the league, and Mike Evans Hall of Fame type player. This man has been you know, routing up people and doing so many great things over the years. He doesn't need to go to training camp to hone in his craft. He just needs to make sure he's in shape. And I agree if they were to go out there and put him in this you know practice or play a preseason game and then he you know, tears a quad, then we're screwed. So yeah, absolutely, it's just like a load management situation. And I think it's wise because we need to have a fully healthy roster coming into Week one. That's a huge game right off the bat against a division rival all the way in Australia, so you have to start off on a good foot and I think it's smart that, hey, you know, he's out there, he's doing his thing.
Speaker 1: If he feels like he can't.
Speaker 3: Go ice up, get out of there, don't risk anything serious.
Speaker 1: I think it's okay.
Speaker 2: You know, Week one is already there's enough juice on the line. It's Shanahan against McVeigh, it's Purty against Stafford, It's the Niners against the Rams. It's two divisional opponents who don't like each other, their historic rivals. So there's a lot. There's a lot there. But to even add more to it, now, you've got the Rams and Niners with totally diametric opposite approaches to the travel, which is unprecedented, right, the travels unprecedent. We've never seen an NFL team travel seventeen hours away from their home stadium to play a game. And the Niners are gonna get in there nine days early and try to acclimate to you know, to Melbourne. And the Rams are going in there like their Navy seals, and they're just they're gonna pretend like none of it matters, and they're gonna roll in right before the game, play the game, and get on the burden come back. I mean, you know the way this is gonna go. Whoever wins the game is not just gonna win the game. They're also going to kind of have the we prepared the right way. They didn't because they're not preparing the same, which which preparation plan do you like? I mean, I know, we know that we're pro niners here, but it doesn't mean you have to be pro niners in every decision they make. Would you do you like their plan of let's get out there nine days early in acclimate or do you like the Rams plan where they're like, hey, we're gonna stay in our routine, we're gonna train, We're gonna train where we train, and they're the only change is gonna be when we get on that plane. It's gonna be a long flight to to to Melbourne, but that's gonna be the first time that their week changes, where the Niners week is gonna change before the week even starts, and they're gonna have a lot more, you know, a lot more. They're they're not doing their routine. They're gonna change up their routine. Well, the Rams are gonna try to do their routine and then still have this monumental travel Who do you think's got the better plan?
Speaker 1: I think the Niners do.
Speaker 3: I'm not even being biased, like I've traveled internationally.
Speaker 1: I'm going to the game. I can't imagine Boom going down one day getting into the game, Boom leaving.
Speaker 3: It's like, I mean, I've done an overnighter you know, to La or whatever, you know, watch the game and stuff. But to play a game, to do it overnight, sixteen hour flight and then come back to me, I just don't think you'd even be in like mentally in the zone. Like it's a that's a tough, tough flight and it takes a few days to kind of, you know, get your mind right, get your body right, you get the jet lags. They're just gonna go there, play come back. I don't know, man, I don't think that's a wise decision for the Rams. I think the Niners going there, you know, get themselves acquainted, get their bodies right, get their mind right, you know, and be in Australia and then.
Speaker 1: Go to the game. I feel like they're going to be in a better zone, you know, to play.
Speaker 3: This game mentally. But again, if the Niners lose the whole, you know, all the talk is gonna be ourc they should have just went in play like the Rams.
Speaker 1: Now they're ruining their.
Speaker 3: Routine for the rest of the season, so it's gonna be interesting. But I think the right way to do it is the Niners get your body right and get yourself prepared and you know, let your body acclimate to a new time zone. That's I've been to international places a lot.
Speaker 1: I've been all the way.
Speaker 3: Across the world, and I'll tell you a day after a travel like that, your body's cast out.
Speaker 1: So I don't know, I think it's gonna be tough on the RAMS.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's weird. It's like, I like the Niner plan better for winning week one, right, you know, acclimating as opposed to not acclimating. I mean, you know, I like the the plan to acclimate. I think that's probably the smarter plan than just like rolling in in the eleventh hour and you know, sixteen hour flight and then you're playing a game the next day. That seems like the RAMS are maybe maybe gonna be at a disadvantage. But I kind of like the RAMS plan going into week two because the RAM are they gonna have body clock adjustments. I don't know, They're gonna be kind of screwed up because they had this all this travel at once, But the Niners are gonna have to go there. The Niners are gonna have to get back on Pacific Standard time from a nine days down under don't you think. I like the Niners advand I think the Niners are doing the right thing as far as winning week one, but I think the Rams might be doing the smarter thing to win in week two. What do you think of that?
Speaker 1: No, that's a good take.
Speaker 3: But I mean, at the same time, Okay, so the Niners, they had their whole week. The nine days they get back, it's gonna be a long slide back. But you don't have a game on Saturday. You don't have a game on Sundays, so you kind of do have a few days to kind of get your body right, get your mind right, and then Monday comes new week. You know, probably do a small little light activity. I feel by the time Monday Tuesday rolls around, because then they don't really practice for the new week.
Speaker 1: Week two to Wednesday.
Speaker 3: I feel like those couple of days is gonna get your body back on course on the West Coast, you know. So I feel like it's not that bad of an idea for the Niners to do that. And I get it they're gonna have to readjust to the West Coast time Pacific standard.
Speaker 1: But the Rams, I mean, come on, You're going all the way to another country playing coming back, it's gonna.
Speaker 3: Be zapped out of energy, and if you lose, you're gonna be mentally just frustrated.
Speaker 1: You're gonna be upset that you should have probably prepared.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So, I don't know, I get what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Where you know, it doesn't take the Rams too much out of a uh you know, time zone standard from the West Coast. But I feel like it is going to have enough time for the forty nine ers when they come back after Melbourne to kind of get their body adjusted.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I mean, it's it's, you know, it's debatable, which is why we're we're having the debate because it's, you know, it's it's hard to we don't know, it's you know, these are it's it's a little bit guesswork, right, because it's it's unprecedented as far as this this kind of travel, and the rest of the league is watching because you know, if I mean, let's just say the Niners routed the Rams, what do you think is gonna happen next time the team plays and plays in Melbourne or plays in Sydney or something. They're gonna do what the Niners did. They're gonna go nine days early because they're like, man, the Niners went nine days early and they housed the Rams, you know, but if the Rams destroy them, maybe it'll be like, hey, you know what, don't go and do a big tourist thing like the Niners did, you know, stay on your schedule and treat it like a business trip. I don't know's it is going to be interesting to watch, that is for sure. Let's talk left guard for a second. The left guard position is wide open, so Trent Williams is your left tackle, Brendel's the center. Poony's going to be the right right guard. He was out today with the concussion. Colton mcivott's had a phenomenal year last year. If you look at some of the metrics, he's your starter at right tackle. There's gonna be a new starter at left guard. It was it was Burford at the end of the year, and they want a playoff Hame in Philly, So it's not like they were an embarrassment at the end of the year. But then they got destroyed by Seattle and Byron Murphy and Leonard Williams really killed them up front with power and strength. So what do you think I mean, who do you want. They've they've given Robert Jones some run, They've given Carver Willis some run. He ran with the Ones. Today, they've given Connor Colby some run. And now we're hearing John Feliciano is making rumblings that maybe he'd be willing to come out of retirement and play. And I don't know if that. I mean, how desperate are you? I mean, Feliciano hasn't played for two years, and he was pretty ordinary when he did play, and now he's gonna be you'd rather have If they go to Feliciano, that is not a good statement about Colby or Willis, that's for sure. Who should they play it? Left guard?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: What you playing on left guard?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, If they get Feliciano and he takes the left guard spot, they tells you everything me to know about this competition, which I don't really know who's gonna win this spot. I think if again, given the three options right now, that's the competition. I'm thinking Robert Jones. He is the veteran, you know, he's kind of been in this position. I'm not saying he's greater than them, but he's got more experienced carverar Willis. He's a rookie. You don't want to throw him into the fire. That is tough, Like he still needs to develop. I wouldn't really trust him just yet. Maybe he could be a good player down the line. He still needs some development. And then you know, Connor Colby, I feel like he kind of fell off the cliff. He had the chance that gave him the ring and he fell off a cliff and it's unfortunate for him. Maybe confidence wise it's not there. I want him to get better. It does take time in this system, you know, to become a fluent in it and get yourself right and get the scheme down. It's a tough offense, you know, for the lineman, for all the skilled players. We saw Kittle talking about Luke Ferrell how it took him some time, and I think the same goes with the lineman.
Speaker 1: So it is tough.
Speaker 3: I would say Robert Jones, but honestly, I'm not I'm not confident with any three of them.
Speaker 1: I wish they would have put a.
Speaker 3: Little bit more, a lot more, you know, stopping to this position and really hunkered down on the line when.
Speaker 1: It comes to the draft in the future.
Speaker 3: I definitely think they need to make sure that they prioritize the O line. You can't really trade for anybody. Nobody's going to give up a premium position like that. So hopefully Robert Jones can be the guy. That's who I'm taking right now. But maybe in the next couple of weeks, you know, something can shake up Kobe and Carver Willis and they can showcase themselves. But at the moment, done in my head going Robert Jones, Larry, you know.
Speaker 2: It's interesting, buddy. It's a big Niner fan. And I said, hey, what do you think of the Titans game. He's like, man, I don't watch preseason. It made me laugh, and I'm like, you don't watch preseason at all. He's like, no, man, I'm a week one guy. He's like, I listened to you. I listen to k and br I keep up with the Niners through I live vicariously through you, Krug and until we get to week one. And but you're you're more like me. You went to Camp a lot. I mean you you you were at camp as much as almost anybody that's not an accurred mediate person. You were at Camp a ton this year. Give me somebody that you you know, every camp there's always some surprises. Who's Who's the guy that you've been surprised by, either pleasantly or unpleasantly. It doesn't it doesn't have to be somebody who's great. Could be somebody who you thought was gonna be good, who's terrible? But give me somebody that that you've because you watched a lot of camp, a lot of hours. What uh? Who Who's whose performance this summer has surprised you? Good or bad?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a I mean there's a lot of them.
Speaker 3: You know. Initially I wasn't too high on Curtis Rock, but as the days he kind of grew on, he started second days and then the preseason game camp, I was really impressed with Curtis Rock. He's kind of picked up this off Remember he red shirted last year. He really this is pretty much his rookie season, so I feel like he's kind of picked up the offense.
Speaker 1: Twelve. He looked good in camp.
Speaker 3: A lot of the receivers man that sixth receivers spot's gonna be tough.
Speaker 1: I saw Malie Turner, he had a great camp.
Speaker 3: Will Will Pauling, this guy was fantastic so many days in camp. Irwin, that wide receiver. I don't think he makes a fifty three roster, but that man made some nice plays throughout the training camp. Jack Jones, Yeah, Trion Irwin, Jack Jones, Man, this guy was a playmaker throughout training camp.
Speaker 1: So many times he had TVUS.
Speaker 3: I didn't really have any expectations for him, and he looked great. One guy that didn't look good and he's gonna really need to be.
Speaker 1: On the practice block.
Speaker 3: Enrique Cruz, the rookie lineman. I don't know if he's even meant for the NFL, but just some time to develop. He's gonna have to spend a lot of time in the practice squad. There's a clip going around him. Romelo Hide on a training camp rep just Blue ry Bile.
Speaker 1: I mean, he was not impressed. He's gonna beat a lot in training camp.
Speaker 3: But I've been so many guys you know that that really stood out. But there was a lot of guys they kind of they kind of need this preseason, so it's gonna be interesting to see. But yeah, the wide receivers again, Pauling and grind There's so many young wide receivers that I think could make this fifty three man roster because that sixth spot is up for grabs.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, I you know, Jack Jones is a good name. I mean, he has gotten his hands on so many footballs this summer. I mean, you know, he looked good the other day. I don't know if you were there when he was practicing doing punt returning. He looks like a really proficient punt returner. Like I would totally trust him back there if they had to go to him. So I don't think he's their first choice to be the punt returner, but he did it naturally. He's got his hands on a ton of footballs this summer, and he's just a big play guy. He's a little bit he trusts his instincts. He doesn't have the greatest size or speed, but he's one of those guys it shows up at the football and gets his hands on a lot of footballs and it's it's you know, he's been really, really good. I mean he's the kind of guy that could really make an impact because when Jack Jones plays well, he picks off passes. You know, he picks off passes, He changed his possession. He he's a difference maker that way. So he's he's been impressive to me. I'll tell you the guy that I was, I've been impressed with just in the last few days, this ogbo Ocuronquo. I mean, I know, he was a street free agent. He's been around the block, and he's you know, it's not like this is this is his first rodeo, but man, he looks good and I and I asked Casaric about him, and he's like, you know, the guy's got a great knack to understand the perfect leverage point. So even though he's two fifty, he still bull rushes three hundred and fifteen pound tackles into the lap of the quarterback because he understands the exact leverage point and where he needs to make content with them. He's a gen This guy's a genius rusher in some ways. You know. Obviously he's been around the block, but he's best in a wide nine and he had a proper couple of good years in Cleveland. Uh, we'll see if he makes it. I mean, it's you's still kind of undetermined, but so far in at least a one on ones, raj Okronquo is just putting on a clinic now. Granted, it's he's beating. He's beating you know, Isaac alar Khan and and he you know, he's beating guys that probably are not going to be in the league, but he's schooling them in a way that makes you think that, you know what, this guy's got something. The other guy is Jaden Dugger. I mean he's six' four six' five two forty and he looks like a very athletic linebacker who can do a lot of things in space and maybe rush. THE pastor I asked casarah about him the other day and, he's, like man the guy's got, some length he's got. Some bend, he's like let's see what. He's got, you know, YOU know I love Chris because chris is basically like. A man i don't know if this guy could rush the pastor, or not but he's got some traits and let's put him out there and see what. He's got so they're gonna give him a shot to rush the passer and if he can, do, it man that that will be a huge shot in.
Speaker 3: The, arm Absolutely the niners are great shaper for pass rushers Outside Of, nick bosa and we know he's, you. Know, trying yeah he looks like he could be that fifth. ROUND gem i Like what i've seen out. Of him that's a great. Pick there, you know we need Help. For bosa anybody that could come off the edge, and rush, you know and definitely someone that we need on. This team so good choice on. That one been very impressed, With him so AGAIN we'll i want to see what he can do on this second. PRESEASON game i feel like he flashed a lot in that first. Preseason game but he's looked really good. Training camp so, another guy probably not, a Surprise But Osa. Diggi, zua man this man has been living in the backfield all training camp.
Speaker 1: And nothing, oh man unbelievab what a.
Speaker 2: Day he, had today five or. Six sacks he's back. THERE constantly, I mean niners didn't have edge, rushers today and it showed they couldn't stop. The run they didn't burn the Edge against herbert and keep him in the pocket. At all, But Man, ODIGGIE zua i mean he was just putting on. A. Clinic Man the cowboys probably should not Have Traded. ODIGI zua i think that might come back to burn them because HE looks, i mean he has been like as good as almost any player on the field this year for the forty, nine ers at least in the in the summer. Last one do you Think That Niners chargers? Thursday night is that in any Way A super? Bowl preview and, if not give me give me the two teams that you could picture being In The super bowl as we, sit here, you know in the in mid To. LATE august, i.
Speaker 3: Mean the chargers are a. Great team they got great. Coaching, staff well the defense. Rise up we'll SEE the x factor For. The Chargers justin herbert hasn't really won in, the, Playoffs right he's gets great stats in the. Regular season people say he's one of the. Best quarterbacks in, the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Comes turns Into. A pumpkins so it'll.
Speaker 3: BE interesting i do think they could make. A RUN That afc west. Is tough you Got, the chiefs you.
Speaker 1: Got, you Know. The Broncos the raiders will improve, this year so it's gonna be a.
Speaker 3: Tough division by the time they get to, the playoffs might be. Beat up it's just LIKE The. Nfc west it's such, a tough. TOUGH division i do Like the bengals because they play any, Easier division but, then Again Can joe burrow. STAY healthy i feel like if he, stays healthy he could take that team to The.
Speaker 1: SUPER bowl i Like. The Broncos Bo nicks helps is going to be.
Speaker 3: A CONCERN and i absolutely Love, the TEXANS but i don't. LIKE. C. J strouss so those are THE teams i really feel could make a make. A run you gotta Throw the bills. In there But Then, josh allen Just, like herbert kind of falls apart in.
Speaker 1: The PLAYOFFS so i Love.
Speaker 3: The niners we all know that they have. A shot felt as well. For them anybody IN The nfc west can probably make The super Bowl Except.
Speaker 1: Arizona cardinals so it's gonna. Be interesting.
Speaker 3: I'm excited it's gonna be a wide. Open year there's so many great teams.
Speaker 2: This year what if we get A Third, niners bengals wouldn't that? Be something and And, The bengals They've Added, dexter lawrence They Added, jonathan allen they Added Boy. A mafe mafey's having a. Great summer They added. Cash's howl, you know they added a number of players, on defense and, we know, You, Know Heck, Joe Burrow, jamar Chase. T higgins they got some talent, on offense is almost as good as anybody in. The sport raj will let you. Go man always a pleasure to h to chop it up and talk ball. With you we'll do. It again appreciate you, Awesome man always.
Speaker 1: A Pleasure, thanks larry take care.
Speaker 2: Of, yourself thanks have a, great. Night Man appreciate Raj. Mil wany check him out, on YouTube, on INSTAGRAM our sf forty. Nine ers he is, the guy that's, his platform. All right that is gonna do it. For us Thanks To, jacob violante THANKS to jd who was with, Us earlier Thanks, to raj and thanks to. You guys our. Went quick hope you. Enjoyed it we're back tomorrow with more and You know niners nightly every night at six o'clock when we're not on six o'clock. On YouTube sometimes we're gonna do some of these late night after, sports phone so look for that. As well and it's always always a pleasure to talk to enter football with the. Canbr audience so that's gonna do it. For us have a. Great night we'll see you tomorrow On These sports leader