Speaker 1: It's time time to bring the forty nine ers to the forefront.
Speaker 2: Let's go time time.
Speaker 3: This is the best team that they can put on the field this year.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Niners Nightly.
Speaker 2: You guys are gonna hear it.
Speaker 3: The latest from the locker room, the latest from the podium, the latest scuttle from the players.
Speaker 1: On your proud home of forty Niners Football, K and b r V Sports Leaders.
Speaker 3: Your Fifthfull Fix with your host Larry Krueger begins.
Speaker 1: Take phone calls.
Speaker 2: We'll talk Niners for a full hour, fired up, really excited. No no, no, no no, and away we go.
Speaker 3: Welcome Larry Krueger back with you. It is Niners Nightly. Hope everybody's having a fantastic Wednesday, August the fifth, and we got a great hour. We got a fantastic hour that we're gonna get to. Guy Haberman is gonna stop by the great Guy Haberman caught up with him today after practice down in Santa Clara. Practice that twenty different forty nine ers did not attend because of injury. How about that ninety man camp roster. Twenty guys m I A well, I wouldn't say amia, but not out there practicing. That's how it begins for the forty nine ers. But we're gonna we'll get into it. Guy Haberman's gonna join us. Looking forward to the hour. The fantastic Young Chips McCarthy on the controls. It was great to hear Raff. I'm I'm a big fan of Raff and of course copes and deep pop. It's you know, I'm just gonna say this out of the shoot because we're not robots, right, We're not robots. I know some people listened to me in the past. We what I thought you were a robot. No, we're not robots. You know, we have feelings and we have relationships, we have friends and and you know, yes, in radio, a lot of times you're working by your sometimes in an empty studio. We don't always have that same work environment that you may have at your place where you're you know, sitting around the kitchen or wherever at your office and you've got all this camaraderie.
Speaker 2: You know, you tend to do your shift and you go home.
Speaker 3: The producers stick around, the executives and the promotions people, the salespeople, they sometimes stick around.
Speaker 2: Sometimes they work.
Speaker 3: Remotely, but a lot especially in recent years, since COVID, so much of the broadcasting world has been done remotely, and yet we've had such a tight family group here at cambr All I could say is that, you know, as somebody who's been through it all right, I've I've been walked to my vehicle, I've been banished from the Kingdom, you know, under great scorn, I've been downsized because of financial shiftings and that kind of thing. And yet here I am on my third stint at the station. I'm not sure what it really says about me, but I do want to say that I love Greg Papa, and I love Greg Silver.
Speaker 2: I was just talking earlier today with Greg Silver.
Speaker 3: He's a tremendous kid, tremendous kid, and every time I had an opportunity to tell his father how proud I was of Greg, you know, I did, you know one, because I'm a dad myself, and you know, as a dad, those are the kinds of things you like to hear. But also it's the truth. The guy was awesome, absolutely awesome. There's people in this business that can't get jobs because they aren't any good, and then there's people that get jobs but they can't keep jobs because they're not good people. Greg's both good and a good person, and he's going to land into a great you know something, whether it be a cal or anywhere else. There's a lot of broadcast entities out there that should want Greg Silver.
Speaker 2: He works hard, he's smart.
Speaker 3: I've really enjoyed the shows that I've done this year with Greg Silver. He's one of the most impressive young broadcasters I've ever met. I mean, he's that kind of a hustler, he's that kind of a you got to be smart to do these jobs because it's all live, and he's smart.
Speaker 2: He's a smart kid. And I really really out of the shows that we did together.
Speaker 3: So Greg, I love you, brother, and you can always use me as a reference, and I'm here for you. And I'll pound the table for you know, the way people pound the table for seventh round draft choices on Day three of the NFL Draft. I'll pound the table for Greg Silver because I believe that much in him. And as far as Greg pop, I mean, heck, Greig and I go back thirty thirty five years. I mean I've known him forever. We've known each other. We've had so many different moments together in our career on the mic, off the mic, partying in the in the quarter. I mean, you know, nobody was a better wingman than Pop in a lot of those years. We had so much fun, so much fun, and what even when he was at the FM station and I was at Gambiar, you know, he treated me great.
Speaker 2: We always we always had in great moments.
Speaker 3: And then getting a chance to work on the forty nine er coverage together has been a joy for me. And I really believe it. I said it the other day. I really think Tim and Greg are the best there is. I think it's the best broadcast team in the country, definitely in the NFL, one of the best I've ever heard of covering football. So Greg's an enormous talent. I'm not telling you guys anything you don't know. And I love him like a brother, and I'm praying for him to get better. And you know, today is business, and I understand business.
Speaker 1: Business.
Speaker 3: Somebody said to me once business krug always prevails, and it really is true. It's cold, but it's true. Business always does prevail. And also, you know, I also I'll add one little addendum to that. Good people prevail, and Greg Pop is a good person. Greg Silver is a good person and they're gonna prevail. They're going to prevail. And and I told young young Greg Silver, I said, hey man, you know what looks to be a bad break sometimes is sometimes a great break, and just think of it that way, and you'll be surprised how many. I also told them the truth, which is, you know, if you do working for Deloitte Intuition you get laid off, nobody knows about it. If you work for K and br and you get laid off, everybody knows about it. And there's a downside to that, but there's also an upside to that. And the upside is that there's lots of people that care about you, and then they're going to reach out to you and tell you how they feel about you, which is going to be very gratifying. But also there's gonna be opportunities and new doors that open, and feel free to walk through those doors with enthusiasm and attack it and attack it the way you attacked radio. Because both those guys are awesome radio guys. All right, we are not going to turn this into a big cry fest. But I do love my guys, and I was not gonna start niners nightly without shouting out my guys, because that's who I am. But we do have a great hour and we are going to talk to Guy Haberman. But we always start with, you know, the big story of the day in niner Land, And I kind of gave it away by telling you guys that the injuries have just mounted, right, and you guys know that the injuries have mounted. People are calling for Dustin Perry's job. People are calling for you know, they need to switch the practice facility before the sun goes down. You know, they need to move get out of there as soon as possible.
Speaker 2: It's all the substation.
Speaker 3: Oh if I hear one more substation thing, I'm gonna puke, Gonna absolutely puke. The Niners train there forever. By the way, the substation had been there before. Maybe it's bigger now, but it's been there for a long time. They haven't been hurt this entire time, so I kind of don't think it's the substation, but I get the frustration.
Speaker 2: Twenty guys on a ninety man roster out.
Speaker 3: You haven't played a game, you haven't had even joint practices, You've only had a half dozen practices, and you got twenty guys on the shelf. Now, I would say at least six or seven of those guys are probably out for preventative purposes. So like, if there were a game today, I think you might see some of those guys, just a hunch. Some of the guys with some of the soft tissue injuries, I.
Speaker 2: Think you'd see them.
Speaker 3: But you also don't want to be stupid. You want to be smart about things. It's early August. You know, you're hopefully going to battle for the playoffs in the Super Bowl in January.
Speaker 2: And February, so it's a long long road.
Speaker 3: But the theme today, outside of the injuries, I thought was the appearance on the practice field for the first time of two guys who looked like they can really help the pass rush. The Niners drafted this kid, Grace and Halton out of Oklahoma in the mid rounds, and I thought he was their best pick. I mean, he's a two hundred and ninety five pounds defensive lineman that has linebacker movement ability and he was out for a few days with a knee bruse. Well he was back in there today and wow, I don't know if it was just he rested up or now he got a chance to kind of measure the speed of NFL practice and kind of adjust because he didn't look that great truth be told look pretty ordinary in the early practices today, who in the one on ones? Grace and Halton looked explosive. He looked quick, he was burning guys, he was running in he he was sacking the quarterback.
Speaker 2: I mean he wasn't actually sacking the quarterback, but he.
Speaker 3: Was winning the one on one rep and dominating at times the one on ones and kind of celebrating, which I love to see. He was like, hey, man, you know I'm the big dogs here and I'm doing it. So I loved what I saw from Grayson Halton today. And man, what a nice player. He could potentially be three hundred pound interior rusher. That looks like a guy who can sack the quarterback. You already have os o'diggy Zua. Now you could potentially have Grayson Halton inside. That's exciting.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: That's that was number one. Number two forty nine has made a couple signings today. One of them was the veteran defensive.
Speaker 2: End Ogbo Ironquo. Would you call me?
Speaker 3: He wore number fifty nine today and this guy gave two of the Niners' youngest, most raw offensive tackles just the you know, the lesson of lessons. I mean, he blew by Enrique Cruz like Enrique Cruz was me. I mean, it was just it was awesome to watch. And he beat Isaac al Arkhan like a drum.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 3: Now, granted, the tackles that he'll be going up against are better than those guys, and these are two of the more raw offensive linemen going. But Iroanquo looked fantastic in his first San Francisco practice. And he's he's an interesting guy, you know. I mean, he played for Raheem in La. He was a damn good player at Oklahoma, and this guy can rush the passer a little undersize for what the Niners typically have used, but Raheem like smaller guys. And you know, this guy was in the wide nine at Cleveland for a couple of years. Last year he was in Philly, but he tore the tricep and that ended his year. But man, he looked fantastic today. Ogbo a wrong quo. I can't wait to see what Ogbo brings in the in the preseason. So that's an outside Russier and an inside rusher who looked really good. The other guy who had a hell of a day to day a couple guys on that defensive line, CJ.
Speaker 2: West. He had some amazing one on ones today, beat Brendle a couple of times.
Speaker 3: Romelo Height had a nice win against Austin Pleasants beat him for a sack. Romelo Height looked explosive. The kid they signed last week, Quinton Bell, who's got you know, four or five speed and he's just electric. He had a couple of really fantastic one on one reps.
Speaker 2: So the you don't want.
Speaker 3: To overreact because the D line to typically win the one on one reps against the O line. It's just the way it goes. It's kind of set up for the D lineman to win. But still a wrong quo and Halton showed the kind of juice that the Niners have lacked and need badly to have a good year. So that stood out today. The other guy who's really starting to stand out is Jordan Watkins, the second year receiver at Ole Miss. He made a number of plays today. Mac Jones had a beautiful pass to Watkins for a touchdown on a slant route in the red zone. Drill Jones also, I think had one of his better practices today, connected on a deep corner our deep crosser to d Rob DeMarcus Robinson. Jones made a number of really nice plays. You know, he's looking pretty good on the practice field. Is Junior Bergen, the second year return guy who didn't do anything last year and went to Montana. You know, he's a Montana State He was a Montana State bobcat so the SCS level and he just didn't adapt to the pros last year. This year, I mean, he looks like a trusted agent. I mean Brock Perty's going to him in the red zone and Bro's making plays. He caught a touchdown from Perty today. He made several nice catches. He had a diving catch. Junior Bergen, I have a feeling Junior Bergen in year two is going to make a little bit more of a name for himself. Well, we make the roster. It's still an uphill sled even with the injuries, but man, he looks like an NFL receiver and that's way more than he looked like last year. Nick Martin had a day today, a couple of nice plays on defense, Jadeen Dugger had a pick six interception, and Dougger is starting to feel himself in this defense. Darrell Looter has had a great camp and he had a PBu today in the end zone. And Jack Jones, just day after day after day just keeps making plays on the football. So he is a really nice addition to the secondary. So a lot of good things today in forty nine er Land. They also made a couple of additions they are The other thing that was kind of interesting is Robert Jones got reps with the Ones at left guard and I asked because I asked Firster about it after practice and he said, hey, that they were planning on mixing up inside and then all the injuries and they decided just to move Colby out. But at one point Firster said, Connor Colby still has work to do. So I know Matt Barrows came out with the article saying that you know, Colby is dominating the left guard competition and it's not much of a much of a race, and I would totally concur with Barrows until today.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 3: I think Robert Jones probably had his best day and he got reps with the Ones and we'll see where it goes. But I think they're looking for a competition there. I don't think they're looking to anoint anybody. I think they're looking for a competition. Brock Purdy had a great day to day.
Speaker 2: He was sharp.
Speaker 3: He had a dime on a slant rat to Jordan Watkins that was perfect. He hit Watkins for a touchdown on another route later.
Speaker 2: In the day.
Speaker 3: Will Pauling, the rookie from Notre Dame, had a really nice catch for Mac Jones. Fijian's Price Sock had a couple of PBUs to end the practice and Price Sock that was the first time I've really seen Price Sock kind of come of age. And then after practice we talked to Chris Firster. He said that Trent Williams is on a snap count. He says he does believe the Niners will still do the joint practices with the Titans despite all the injuries, and he said that he was pretty impressed by the two defensive tackles, Bryce and Esen and James Thompson and what they've shown that thus far. Then we talked up in Stout. He said that, you know, I said, what has motivated you? Because you attack your off season with just such such fire. It's awesome to watch. And he's like, man, I'm motivated by the doubters. I love that man. I love that guys hearing voices. That guy works hard. And then Jake Brendle hit the podium and I asked him about OsO Diggi Zua and he's like, man, I played with his brother at UCLA and Osa is the total package and really is tough to block, and really talked him up. So Osa has been a constant force out at these practices. Niners also worked out some players today, Donovan Peoples, Jones a wide receiver, Christian Wilkinson a wide receiver, ke On Smith a guard, Ryan Moreco a tackle, brand In Brandon Daniels a guard. All those guys worked out for the Niners. And then the Niners did sign Ogaronquo agbo Ocaronquo and Cadaryl Hodge. Hodge is interesting as well. He's another receiver played with the Rams, probably the connection to Raheem Again, he's thirty one, but he's a special teamer and the Niners are emphasizing getting good special teamers. And Cadaryl Hodge, you know, punt black guy. He's a veteran on the gunner team, on the special teams coverage units. I think he was a Pro Bowl special teamer in twenty twenty four, So I mean you're always looking for somebody who could be a difference maker on special teams on the back of your depth chart, and Cadaryl Hodge signed today. The one thing that's pretty clear looking at some of these pickups. Last year, they leaned on Robert Sala for a lot of his personnel expertise. He brought a lot of former Jets in Today, now they're leaning a lot on Raheem Morris, and there's a lot of x rams, a lot of ex falcons seeming like when they're on their list of guys that they're bringing in when they lose guys to injury in camp. So what does it mean, Well, it just means that they're given a lot of say to Raheem Morris as far as the personnel evaluation part of this part of this deal.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a time out.
Speaker 3: Up next, we're gonna talk a little Niner ball with Guy Haberman, who will be on the call this year on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 4: This is where you get your faithful facings Niners Nightly with Larry Krueger keeps a rolling on KNBR the Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: All right, welcome back to Niners Nightly.
Speaker 3: Larry Krueger joining you for Niners Nightly and with us the segment to talk a little Niner ball is one of our favorites. Guy Haberman, who's gonna be on the call this year for forty nine er football. Guy, great to see him, man, awesome, Awesome to be down here at training camp and getting a chance to watch him Niner football. Even though we got a largely injured roster out of the shoot.
Speaker 4: Here, doesn't feel like we've lived a month in like a week and a half.
Speaker 1: In running football.
Speaker 4: You know, it's like I remember this team before Deebo Samuel. I'm old enough, you know. Bill Walton used to do this joke, right, Are you old enough? You'd be like, let's say Larry Krueger had three foulsand was sitting for ten minutes in a bathroom, be like, are you old enough to remember Larry Krueger.
Speaker 1: That's how I feel.
Speaker 4: I'm old enough to remember the Niners without Deebo Sanders.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this year? What do you think I mean?
Speaker 3: On one hand, the Pearcel injuries is significant, right, because he's got the PCL, he's gonna need surgery. And then Mikyle Kamara Torre's achilles, so obviously that's a fruit, pretty serious injury. But there's a lot of quad poles, hamstring poles, things that like I mean, Chris Furster are total st after practice. Some of these guys, if there were games, would be playing. But when you see some of the guys going down, it's almost like precautionary stribblings out hamstring tightness.
Speaker 1: Could he go? He might be able to go.
Speaker 3: Mike Evans the same thing kind of thing, you know, quad tightness. You don't want to rip anything. But I think some of these injuries and some of these guys missing time right now.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit of preventative.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was interesting to see Romellow height back with like you know, just like a break on his arm or whatever, because you don't really see it that much in practice. Right, that's what you've seen in a game. I would love that designation, right, Like could ousa play in a game today? Could Mike Evans play in a game today? Could you check playing a game today? But it does feel that way and it does feel like, you know, once that happens with a guy, particularly guy like Mike Evans, you're just not gonna see him until it really matters, Right, That's the way it feels.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, he'll practice, I would expect at some point. But you know, the reality too, is this team this year, it's just different because you lose the week of rest because of the travel to Australia. Right, So you go from usually resting for that week between the end of the third preseason game and the first regular season game to now like needing to actively recover from the flight, and you know, trying to use that practice that week. It's sort of a little bit more of a practice time. So I think everything that happens between now and then is affected by that, Like every decision they make about player health, the way they're practicing. All of those things, to me are probably a reflection of the domino effect working backwards from spending a week in Australia.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about that, because I think it's really interesting.
Speaker 3: The Rams are gonna fly in on the ninth, play the game on the tenth, and then get right back on the burden.
Speaker 4: Lying on the ninth in Australia.
Speaker 1: The ninth then that I don't know, but they're gonna basically fly in or play fly out there. You know they're talking about you know, we're Navy seals.
Speaker 3: You know we're going to go in and do our deal, do our deal and get out where the Niners are going in nine days early.
Speaker 1: They're going to acclimate to the time difference.
Speaker 3: It's a seventeen hour travel, I believe our difference between Melbourne time and specific Standard time.
Speaker 1: It's also about a sixteen hour flight.
Speaker 3: I mean, I almost feel like whoever wins the game is not just gonna win the game, They're also going to kind of win the This is how you prepare for Australia.
Speaker 4: Debate which way which way it hurts to lose more when you spend a week out there or when you came in the night before. Probably when you spend a week out I think spending a week out there, I mean I think, I don't. I don't think the way they're traveling tells us that one team cares more than the other. I think the Rams did it and it worked. Weren't the Jags in London for like two weeks when the Rams were out there the morning of the game and beat them. But you know, I do think from the nine you think back to how important beating the Rams on Thursday Night football last year was. I don't think. I mean, my guess is that whoever the Niners were playing in Week one, they would treat it the same way. But it does feel like, you know, it only highlights the importance of this game, right, how significant it would be to beat the Rams week one, knowing what you have coming up after that with three straight home games, and it is fascinating. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: The other part of it is the game is ten thirty am there, right, so that's so unnatural. Will it feel more natural to the Rams because they haven't been there, because they'll bardy clocks will beyond primetime West Coast time? Or will it feel more natural than Niners because maybe they've slept. I don't know. But that's the other factor that really you're not just traveling, you're playing it at a weird time, right.
Speaker 1: It's a coin flip. I mean.
Speaker 3: I kind of like the vibe that I kind of like the vibe of let's fly in there at the last second and not get you know, let's have regular, everything's regular in our schedule until the flight, and then let's try to react to the flight and play the game.
Speaker 1: I kind of like the RAMS approach.
Speaker 2: A little bit more.
Speaker 3: But but the Fortinitars feel very confident that they that they feel like they've done the studies and that they need to get some you know, acclimate to the time difference and the travel. The Rams sent a contingent of people also to Melbourne and this is what they came up with. I mean, it's riveting because it's the Rams and the Niners are truly the NFL's guinea pigs on Australia and this travel and teams are going to watch very closely to see, you know, how these teams play in the game and maybe more importantly, how they look in week two, three and four coming out of the game.
Speaker 1: What if both the Niners and Rams are horrible, Yeah, in the month coming out of the game, we may never.
Speaker 2: See a game in Australia ever.
Speaker 1: Again, well, somebody will have lost.
Speaker 4: As long as somebody wins and somebody loses, the NFL's happy, right, right, as long as they finish that game. I don't hear what happens Week's two, three, four, five. Yeah, I mean, you know, if the game, the one thing that as it relates to the travel is like, if the game is twenty seven twenty four final, did the team that won the game definitely travel a better way? Or did somebody win in somebody long? Now, if it's forty one to ten, that's a different story. Sure, you know, it's a good point. So I think I want to be a little careful, like when it plays out, it's not always gonna be about someone just might have made a play, right, but it is. I mean, I you may know the score, I don't recall, but I think the Rams kind of blew the doors off the Jags in London when they went out there. Of course the Rams also were probably, Yeah, they're a better team.
Speaker 1: They're better team. They you know, they maybe the best team, you know, the Jags definitely were not.
Speaker 4: The other part of it, too, is like it's Raheem and Kyle and McVeigh and how well these guys know each other. Yeah, and so Raheem's coming in with a defensive system that Shawn's familiar with, but it is new to the Niners. Sewan's thirteen personnels, you know, taking a link by storm. Everyone's talking about thirteen personnel. Is he really gonna is he gonna change up? Is he gonna throw a curveball? Week one feels like he probably will do something right. That's different. These two teams playing Week one, just that in and of itself is really interesting. Yeah, because of how well they know each other, you know, and then you factor in the Australia part, it's even it's even more interesting.
Speaker 3: And I also think it's vitally important. I mean, they look at the Niners schedule at the end of the year. I think they're gonna the Niners need to bank wins in September and look at the Rams.
Speaker 1: You know, if the Rams somehow.
Speaker 3: Stumble in that game, they get the Giants the next week, that's gonna be a national TV game on the road. I believe if they wind up starting oh in too, the Rams, you know, the pressure could mount because the expectations are very high.
Speaker 1: It's a Super Bowl season for the Rams.
Speaker 3: They're hoping and if they dropped to zero and two to start the year for whatever reason, man, it could be a five alarm fire in LA.
Speaker 4: You also feel it's kind of great Can you win without Kittle? If Kittle's not playing that game, is mikel gonna be able to make that trip? Michael Williams, well he playing that game. Can you win without them? You know? Like I think that's also you feel really good. I think you know that Rams game last year was so important. It was also such an exhale because you found a way to win without your full compliment. It was a Kendrick Bourne game. It was like Mac Jones is throwing up and Pignero's got to hit these clutch kicks, and you know, Alfred Collins makes the play in the year and all that kind of stuff, And so you know, when you can win, I think, especially early without your full team or without all your stars, it's there's a confidence that comes from it that's really important.
Speaker 3: All right, let's talk a little bit about you mentioned Raheem Morris. Why don't we start on the defensive side of the ball and talk about Raheem. He's He's been a great addition so far. I think the secondary is looking really really more cohesive.
Speaker 1: In a very short amount of time.
Speaker 3: I feel like all three levels of the defense have been impacted by Raheem. You know, today the Niners brought in ogbot Ocuronquo, why do they bring him in?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean he he's got.
Speaker 3: Experience playing for Raheem, so right, Raheem's.
Speaker 1: Having an impact on the roster.
Speaker 3: I think he had an impact on the draft, definitely had an impact on some of the undrafted free agents.
Speaker 1: What do you see so far with Raheem Morris.
Speaker 4: It's interesting where you hear the players say in terms of like now you know, this is the time of year where you say, like, oh, this system is so much better than the last system, and this one's tailored to me, and this is where I do things well. But I mean the rally was it didn't work last year and it wasn't Robert Solad's fault. The injuries were devastating. I mean, if you can't get a pass rush, whether you're playing simple or if you're playing complicated, either one is going to blow up. Right this year, if you're playing a more simplistic offense in terms of ready reacts for your secondary, that's gonna blow up if they don't have a pass rush. And last year, definitely it was really hard. You're not gonna confuse any quarterbacks without a pass rush. So like hearing we just heard Jake Brendle talk. I thought that was really interesting him talking about how we're getting to see every front there is now and that wasn't always the case, and that mat You know, that mental tax in camp pays off during the season, So I mean that's one kind of side benefit so far with Raheem. I think also like we we so badly you think about like the twenty nineteen you so badly want them to be just like this badass defense that just gets after the quarterback and is just it's it's simple because it's talented. And really, if they could just raise the floor from last year to being a you know, can they be like a top Can they be like fringy tenth to fourteenth on defense because they're always so efficient on offense that that would be a major, major, major improvement. And you know, whether or not Raheem gets another shot at being a head coach, I don't know. But even if he does, it probably takes a couple of years. Oh that's what we thought about Salad and he got one real fast. But the idea that you could solidify your defense and do it with some maybe long term continuity because Colin Raheem has such a good relationship I think is it's kind of perfect.
Speaker 3: The defense gets a I thought, a huge break in being able to acquire OsO Diggy Zoo, and you don't typically get defensive tackles that are healthy in the prime of their career, you know, just traded to your team. It just rarely happens. But the Cowboys obliged. They send him away. They had brought in Kinney Clark, they had brought in Quinn Williams, and those guys were kind of the new flavor of the month, despite the fact that Osa really outperformed those two guys last year in Dallas.
Speaker 1: But Osa is now a forty nine er. We talked to him the other day, very intense guy.
Speaker 3: I just asked Jake Brendle about him, and he's like, Hey, he's strong, he's really quick, and he's smart. He'll recognize if you're if your stance is a little different or a little off, and he'll notice the nuances you What do you think so far of OsO Digizua and what he's what he looks like, and what he may add to this defense.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think he adds a ton. I think you noticed it right away the first time he saw him on the feeling oh my god, look at this guy. It's you know, it's just when you see guys in person, it's so different. I don't know the first guy you remember seeing in person going, oh my god, I remember seeing Carson Palmer in person for the first time on the field, seeing Peyton in person, pregame on the field, just oh my, these guys are He's so big, and those guys are big by big standards when it comes to quarterbacking. And when you see Osa standing next to other defensive line and he's not like you know, you used to see Buckner in Armstead and you got those guys are so tall. Osa, the way he is built, it reminds me a little bit of when you see Trent Williams, Like all these guys are big, freak athletes on the offensive line, but Trent is actually built a little differently. And that's say you feel about Osa because of his length and his the way he's just so cut. His lower half its cut, his calves are cut, his arms are cut. You just notice that he is among the one percenters, like a one percenter physically, and then when the mental matches up and the effort matches up and the production matches up. You're right, it really is crazy. You don't just get teams to give you players like that. So, I mean you think about like the keys of this team. There's a lot of keys, but I think that guy is gonna change the game for them on defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't wait to hear you and Tim Ryan. You know, Tim is a former defensive out. He's so great and and I loved him. Tim's one of my favorite guys. He's got a sling. He looks like he's got a little for elbow or shoulder injury or something.
Speaker 1: But I'm really interested to hear what he.
Speaker 3: Thinks of Osa in this defense as a former defensive tackle. I mean, you know, Tim was so strong, you played it like two ninety five. This guy Osa is incredibly strong, but he's also one of the fastest defensive tackles we've seen the last twenty years.
Speaker 1: In a lot of ways, he's revolutionized the position.
Speaker 3: They're bigger guys, as you stated, but man as far as speed, one of.
Speaker 1: The faster defensive tackles in pro football.
Speaker 3: And I'm really eager to see, you know, Tim's reaction to Osa and the total package of what he contributes.
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna be great radio.
Speaker 4: He already told me. I said, I said they got Bosa and they had Osa, and he's like, oh.
Speaker 1: Pros, Well, that's a good one.
Speaker 4: That's Tims, that's times, that's all. That's all t Rocks. Uh So, But explain to me, like, from your perspective, you think Osa looks quick off the line to you, is that what you talk about when you talk about speed?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean yeah, I mean I just think that when you're you know, everything's everything matters so much more in a confined space. And I just I just think that Osa looks like a guy that you have to double, and you got to double Bosa and now you've got to double os OsO Diggi Zua.
Speaker 1: When you have one guy in a line that needs to be doubled, man, that helps. But when you have two, yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: That whole new world.
Speaker 1: And I just think that once we give them the meat potatoes, Osa and Bosa.
Speaker 3: Are both gonna have to be doubled or it's gonna be a long day for the opposation.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, Mike Michael Williams could really use it year like that yeah, playing next to guys like that, you know, so could Alfred so get on yes, exactly, so he gets one on ones. You know, you'd love to see a guy, especially coming off the injury like Mikeel, just like have some some the traditional success, meaning like sacks. You know, it's not necessarily how he's gonna be judged. Yeah, it's not exactly what he's here for, but I mean to have that production, the confidence that comes with it, the opportunity to play free and you know, like not have to. It's so funny how quickly, and I think it's happened with mikel how quickly you go from like hey he's a rookie, let's just see how it goes, to well, they need him if something happens to him there, it's a big problem.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: But he hasn't played that much NFL football, So I'm playing next to Bosa and Osa. I think he is the guy that I think of, you know, like, God, what what a gift if he can really if he could play seventeen games with those guys or close to it, maybe fifteen, that'd be pretty special for him, you know, you just because it helps us know, like do you have it. You played it to those guys and you produce like you probably got if you know, it may not be the answer, right if you play it to those guys and you don't produce. So it'd be great for the evaluation.
Speaker 3: You've been out here practice all summer on the defensive side of the ball. Is there anybody that has stood out to you on any of the three levels of the defense?
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: I won't try to lead you in any direction, but just on account of.
Speaker 4: Three, say who you're gonna leave me to?
Speaker 1: Well, I wanted to ask you about green Law.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think great, and that's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 3: But Bernardo Green has been much improved. Yeah, I mean he looks like a totally different player. We saw him getting yelled at on the sideline by Shanahan and Seattle. He came back and when we talked to him at the podium, he's like preaching accountability and I mean literally, guy was exactly the kind of things that you wanted to hear from Guy. And it just seems like the marriage between I mean Raheem Morris and.
Speaker 1: Ronardo Green and a couple other guys too, Durrel Louder.
Speaker 3: It just seems like there's some of these young dbs are thriving Underheim.
Speaker 4: I thought Leonor had a really good perspective on Ronardo as well, Like basically what you just said was echoed by Leonor and his evaluation of Ernardo, so that it'd be a big deal. You know, it'd be a big deal Fernardo could be. I mean, he's gonna be the other starting corner, there's no question about it, second round pick. But can he yeah, can can he kind of fulfill that? It'd be a huge deal for them if you know, like you're just rolling out Leonor, Ronardo and Upton stout every week and you can just now they're not big, right, but if you can just rely on those guys to really be I think they're all kind of similar in terms of mindset, which I think is good.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: I think it really benefited up then last year. So Ronardo to me is the guys that I went into the offseason thinking boy Stock is down, and I've come back thinking Stock is it up? You mentioned green Law. I didn't know what to back from him, and I still you know, the book is far from written. Like we got to see him playing games and consistently stay healthy.
Speaker 1: Didn't practice today.
Speaker 4: Didn't practice today, But I thought from the first practice, I think you made the first play in the first practice. It was like, oh, he looks good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he says he feels good.
Speaker 4: I mean it looks good, just like Demo looks good. Yeah, like Dimo looks good. So you know, I'm optimistic about those those two guys for sure. You know we mentioned oh so Fred obviously. You know, Nick Martin's been in a lot of reps, which is interesting. Yeah, that's very interesting.
Speaker 1: I'll be very exciting if he could come of age.
Speaker 4: They don't, they're not going to probably have that many linebackers. Yeah, right.
Speaker 3: Jayden Dugger had a good practice today, had an interception. He's starting to make some plays. I mean, there's a wide swath of opinions on whether or not Jayden Dugger's ready to go or he's the youngest guy on the team.
Speaker 1: He might not be ready to go. He might just be a special teamer. But KG Wright loves him really yeah, I love him.
Speaker 4: Well. I mean, if you can, if you use one that like, tell me he makes the fifty three and I'm happy, right, It means he's trending in the right direction.
Speaker 3: One more on the defensive side of the ball, or really just more about one of the criticisms I keep hearing.
Speaker 1: I heard from Chris Sims the other day they're too old. They're too old.
Speaker 3: And I think one of the questions I had guy coming into this campus to the old crew Trent, CMC, Kittle, bos Greenlaw, Warner Evans to a degree, do these guys look old or do they are? They they're all great players, do they still got it? Or have they crested the hill and they're really the name on the back of the jersey is just a distant memory of what they used to be.
Speaker 1: And I gotta be honest, I kind of think that to a man. Obviously, we haven't seen Kittle yet.
Speaker 3: The rest of these guys look to me to be at their level. I'm not seeing slippage now. It's July and August, so maybe we'll see it late in the year. But I think that the Niners core of great players looks primed and in shape for one more good year. I don't know if they'll be better than they've been, Probably not, but I don't think there's gonna be a gigantic drop off any of their star guys, that's just kind of what I'm seeing here.
Speaker 1: But you know what do you see?
Speaker 4: Well? They are older, so it's yeah, but they look good. I mean Fred, And guess what if it looked like last year one of the best linebackers, maybe the best linebacker in the league, Christian. You know, I thought Christian had it a really good year in ways that were different than the other really good years he's had. Last year was such a grind for him, and you know, I thought he turned you look on paper, you get you's got three three point one or three point two, but to me, a lot of those three point two when it should have been two point two, you know what I mean. Like, so I thought, you know, you tell me you get that Christian again, great sign. You know, I think they would sign up for that immediately. It's part of being great is even if you're now ninety percent of what you are, ninety five percent of what you were, you're still better than a lot of people. And he's just so useful, like he's elited so many things. Trent, No, these guys look, look, friend's the easiest one to tell because and Christian. I guess Christian too, But they look the same to me. I mean, they look really good. They really do.
Speaker 3: I mean I would sit here and I would gladly say in state, and I don't know what Mike Evans looked like in practice, but I'm yeah, when I watched him, like, yeah, that's probably.
Speaker 4: What Mike Evans looks like in practice.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, we don't have that perspective of knowing Mike Evans in practice in past years. But the rest of these guys look about to the level that we all would all expect. Let's talk about the offense before we finish up here. Rock Party's heading into year five. He looks like he's still getting better. I thought he had a tremendous day today connecting with a number of different receivers. I expect Perdy to look pretty good.
Speaker 1: The offensive line is the big question.
Speaker 3: There's a lot more speed at receiver, maybe even a little bit more speed at.
Speaker 1: Running back with Kaylon Black.
Speaker 3: How do you see the offense this year with you know, basically the same crew except for a totally remade receiving.
Speaker 1: Poor that's a lot faster.
Speaker 4: I'm with you on Brock. I think Brock's quietly looked really good in this camp. Maybe not quietly. I don't know, and I do think one of the underrated storylines of the year is this. He is an he is at an age when quarterbacks keep getting better, right, so he's not a finished product at this point. He'll turn what twenty seven on December twenty seventh, which is the day that Niners play the Chiefs in Kansas City. It's a Saturday, nice, but this is at a time when quarterbacks keep getting better, Like, he's still athletically in his prime. So as you mentally get stronger it, you know you can your body can match it as opposed to win. You're thirty five as a quarterback in your boy at camp unless you're Tom So I'm with Yon Brock like, I think he's looked good and I expect be a better player this year than he was last year. My other kind of take crew that I've developed in the last twenty four hours is new fresh Ta is a fresh take, but I've now this is like the third time I've repeated.
Speaker 1: It, A fresh take on repeat.
Speaker 4: A fresh yeah is I haven't fully vetted it yet, but Mike Evans, Debo, McCaffrey, Kittle, those four I think it could be the best red zone scoring offense of the Kyle Shanahan era, because Evans is obvious, an obvious threat. Kittle, who was not great in the red zone early in his career, has become a weapon in the red zone Debo last year had five touchdowns on seventeen red zone touches. And obviously Christian changes the game when he's in the game on the red zone, when he's in the when he's healthy, changes the red zone like he did last year. When the Niners went from bad two years ago, they're really good and scoring touchdowns in the red zone last year. So those four plus you add the ability of Brock to scram a little bit, like I think you get you let those guys get in the red I asked you about josh Dii Bautaday. I said, what is the what do you think the Niners average touchdown distance was last year? And he looked it up and he said they were last in the league. It was like eight point something yards. So they you know, they were not an explosive offense. Like right, they didn't do anything explosive on well second and sure like where the Rams have explosive plays, the Niners don't. They just picked try to pick up the first down, So you'd love to be more explosive. But scoring in the red zone was a major one of the big keys last season going into the year, and they solved the problem. So I like to me efficiency is never the question with the Shanagan offense, but can you score in the red zone? And I think they could be really good, even better than they were last year scoring in the red zone. But I do think the big question remains, like does Evans and stribbling can they make them more explosive. That's where I think losing Ricky Piersoll really hurts. Is Ricky for you know, some guy games. It might be forty yards and some of it might be one twenty. But Ricky Piersoll was explosive. I think underrated, trusted by brock Yeah or mac mack. He had the fourth down, fourth and two and by the team fourth and two conversion down the right sideline against the Arizona Cardinals, they took a shot to Ricky Pearsall on fourth and short in that game. He converted a fourth down in the was in the Eagles playoff game. There was another big oh it was the Bears game. He had a big fourth down conversion in the Bears game, so I think they I think it's a little underrated how trusted Ricky was when he was on the field, and so that's where Evans and stribbling. But yeah, that's there. Could if it could be a little more explosive this year, I think that would be kind of the next level of this offense. And then I think Deebo maybe Devo alleviates a little bit of the touches for Christian not necessarily in the run game, but maybe in the short passing game.
Speaker 1: A couple of quick hitters on the way out. Kittle, if you had your druthers.
Speaker 3: Kyle Shanahan, John Lynch came to you and said, hey, guy, what week should we should we play?
Speaker 1: George Kittle?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like, thanks for asking.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know he wants to be back week one, but if it was me, I'd say week five, Week four.
Speaker 1: I'm saying bye, week I want to play.
Speaker 3: I want up to Georgia by week Yeah, I would say like week eight, week nine. I mean, you know, nine months, nine to twelve months is what I think he should heal. That would be like eight and a half months. Yeah, so'll be coming back a little soon, but I don't want to see him there. Week one, I don't want to see him Week two, I don't want to see him in the first month. I don't want to see him in September. I may not even want to see him in October. I've been seeing I would hide his helmet until Halloween and then give it to him with a bunch.
Speaker 1: Of candy in it.
Speaker 4: It's a great idea. I mean, it's especially if if you can win that Rams game and then you come home and you feel good, maybe you can win those three.
Speaker 1: And conscises up has looked really good on this practice field.
Speaker 4: Part of it is like Juice didn't practice day with a broken finger. That's where you.
Speaker 1: Like, you know us.
Speaker 4: Jack said at the other day, it's like somebody asked him about man, what you asked?
Speaker 3: I said, are you going to get more run at tight end with Kittle out? And He's like, Hey, I'm kind of a jack of all trades. I used to be a third down receiver, but we had to see him, see him no longer third down receiver.
Speaker 4: And I think they're doing more of it with him, a little bit more of it even with Kittle, So I like losing him. Really, I think affects the ability to I mean again, maybe he's back soon. Maybe he's back, and I don't know, but you said quick hutter. Yeah, I mean, I'd love to win the first four games and then you can really sit on George for a little while. But you know, George like he's gonna want to play this, he wants to be back. I gotta look at the turf schedule after the Giants game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tofurbly keep him off the bad turf.
Speaker 3: Shanahan's injury from the car crash something nothing, something major?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: I mean, forget about him and his family and his health. That's all just for the people who were talking about the Niners. And how does it affect football? Do you see this being a big deal, a little deal or no deal as far as the impact on the team, Yeah, I mean, I guess it depends how long he's out.
Speaker 4: I mean, we've seen him more and more in practice. Is he coaching week one? Does he get a headache on the plane to Australia? You know that sort of thing that's concerning sure, just sure, because uh you know, I think you know Kyle got named somebody did a list through the day, like the top play callers, and of course like he he he was number one, you see that list. Yeah yeah, but of course, like fine, or it could be three, or it could be two, or but like he gets so much credit for the play calling. I think he doesn't get enough credit for his leadership. Like you think back, this is your ten. When you think back to him being a coaching candidate, the big knock was he's hard to work with. You know, he's not going to be like basically like will he run a real good culture or is he like too entitled or too mean or whatever it is, And like the results are in he establishes a good culture. I think it's a little underrated what a good leader he is and what a good overall football guy he is. Like the football team, full team meetings that he holds our legendary, like the players talk about it.
Speaker 1: He teaches.
Speaker 4: I don't want to call him Belichick, but it sounds it's like the same stuff you hear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a teacher of the game of special team, special teams.
Speaker 1: That's what I've heard.
Speaker 3: Okay, I've heard that there's no phase of the game that Kyle doesn't kind of take the lead in from time to time.
Speaker 4: I just think he's so because he rightfully gets so much credit as a play caller, he gets a little underrated as an overall CEO football coach. And to me that it's not that like that that's where you just lose him, you know, and the player this time of year, having Fred Warner and having Christian mccaff like Brock Purty, that's all great to me. Players can only hold it together for so long, Like you still need the CA there's still can Like when I see a company with co CEO, someone's like, oh sell Like no, right, Like it's just it's it's a nice idea for a little while, but it can't last forever. Yeah, And Kyle is so clearly the boss, and not just because he was hired to be the boss, but because he's earned he earns it from the players. They just trust him so much, rightfully, and they tell us about it. So like, I think that's a major loss that you can you can sustain it for a little Like if you told me it was out till week eight, I go, I don't think he can sustain that. I just think he's too important. Yeah, I agree, No matter how great your leadership is or how well your coaching staff knows that. It's just there are too many moments where a head coach has to step up and be the head.
Speaker 1: Coach, and especially when he's to play.
Speaker 4: Caller, especially when he's to play caller. But I'm just talking about all the other stuff. Also, yeah, and and I think he's so he's excellent. He's truly excellent at it. So like right now, it's great. It looks like it's trending in the right direction.
Speaker 3: Man, I can't get out of here without giving him one Guy Haberman question. I'm a big Guy Haberman fan. So you're in year two doing Niner games. You're one as a dad. I thought that's where you're going.
Speaker 1: You're one as a dad.
Speaker 3: Congratulations on that as a dad who's said I'm a dad four times over.
Speaker 1: And it's you know, enjoy.
Speaker 3: This these young ages, my my, how old your youngest like eight months?
Speaker 1: Nine months?
Speaker 3: Okay, so my oldest is twenty six, And I mean it just goes by, and so it's excited blink of an idea. So you and your wife enjoyed, enjoy your baby and your and your little your young and growing family. But I got to ask you one question because I'm a big fan of you as a broadcaster.
Speaker 1: Obviously you're doing doing the games with Tim Ryan, You've.
Speaker 3: Worked in big time college football, you've covered other major sports broadcasting the NFL from year one?
Speaker 1: Is there one thing that you either gleaned.
Speaker 3: Learned something that you think is really valuable Because there's a lot of young broadcasters.
Speaker 1: I get this, I'm sure you get this.
Speaker 3: Hey, I want to be the next Greg Popa, I want to be the next Tim Ryan.
Speaker 1: I want to be the next Guy Aberman. How do I do it? What do I do? What do I emphasize?
Speaker 3: I always try to get a question in for the for the young future broadcasters, give them a hint of what this experience has been like for you and maybe something that you learned in your one.
Speaker 4: Well, you know it's first of all, say it's so cliche. It's so true anytime somebody's filling in for somebody like you know, I can't fill his shoes. But it's part of what made an easy transition to fill in for Greg last year. And I learned this lesson last year because I thought this is what I should do, and then I felt like it worked and so filling in for Greg again this she'll do the same thing. He is just I have so much respect for him. He is so excellent at every facet. He is a complete broadcaster, like every facet. We could get really nerdy and talk about all the technical but just like everything that it was so obvious to me immediately, like, don't even bother trying to be like Greg. You know, I hadn't called radio since like two thousand and twelve.
Speaker 1: Probably like high school. High school animal.
Speaker 4: It's a totally different animal. I've been doing TV all these years, and so I thought, you know, instead of trying it took me a lot of I said, instead of trying to like speed everything way up and do radio, let me just ease into I know how to TV. Doesn't You can't call a game like you do on TV on radio because there's not enough description. But you know, basically, I was like, I won't try to go all the way to like what Harlan or Greg are able to do, because I just like I need to get my leg I just I can't run at that speed too much too soon. They're just too good at it. So that was one thing and I felt good, you know it helped to have Tim, who's an excellent it really is.
Speaker 1: It's not it's just my energy analysts really really like one of the best.
Speaker 4: Like if you watched NFL preseason games around the league to go like or just regular season games like, Yeah, Tim Ryan is one of the best analysts in football, no doubt. So that was a big thing. I mean, we could talk about this for hours. I don't know how much of it is relevant to a lot to most people, but I mean those were two things, you know, just I think the other thing and this is something that got better as time went on, and I talked to Bob Sergeant a lot about it during the season. It's were great, Like if you listen to Greg you could tune in the second quarter or the fourth quarter and there was so much urgency on every play. Not with what he's saying, but just it does be the NFL, the games matter. I do a lot of college football and those games matter a lot too, But you know, Week three, it might be Indiana Charlotte, or it might be Michigan bowling Green, Like, it doesn't quite matter the same the NFL. There's no warm ups, right the preseason is the warm ups. Week ones not the warm up, and so like, how do I like have the energy that you need in radio is just different than in television. It's just different, like you need more, and so like listening back to tapes and understanding like how does that come off? Is that too much? Is that too little? Is that? What's that? I've never called a team's games?
Speaker 1: What did my touchdown call? Do I do?
Speaker 4: San Francisco? That's Greg's maybe I'll do it once. You know you do it in homage, but I can't copy that. But then so what do I say? Like does it need to be a signature?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: So like if you listen to every game, you would hear last year and people would take it and.
Speaker 1: It was fine.
Speaker 4: I was experimenting touchdown calls in real time because there's no other way to duplicate it, like I can't sit at home in the shower, like you can't do it, like you need the real energy of the real game. So that was fun just trying to figure that out and then ultimately concluding like I guess it doesn't need to be any one thing. Those things tend to take care of themselves, like you just call it. Eventually the right thing, it'll come out and you can't plan it.
Speaker 3: Lots of prep, you know. Preparation is the key, of course, but you do it a great chob. Hey man, thanks for stopping by the Niners Nightly. Always great to wrap Niner ball with you. We'll do it consistently throughout the football season. I appreciate your time. Yeah, great to see you guy.
Speaker 1: Haveberman more straight ahead. It's Niners Nightly. I'm the sports leader.