Speaker 1: It is the John Phillips Show. Johnny is back on Monday. It's Randy Wang here and the phone number to join us is eight hundred two two two five two two two one eight hundred two two two five two two two. You can email us at Johnny Don't Like Show at gmail dot com my personal email address. You can also email Randy Wang Radio at gmail dot com. I check both of them throughout the show. You can search for The John Phillips Show wherever you get your podcasts. At the same time, search for the KABC News Blitz wherever you get your podcast. That's my solo show I do at five o'clock on KABC, and subscribe to my daily show prep the California Report. All the stories that I have looked into that I want to cover, I have them all on a list with all the links to all the YouTube so you can check them out on your own time, share them with your family, your friends. Everything that I learned today going on in the state of California that I think is worth your time. It's at Randywangradio dot substack dot com. We start in the California Governor's race, which gets weirder and weirder and weirder as we get closer to election day. There are sixty one candidates that made the ballot that you can vote for, including a guy named Barack Obama Kent. But it is always surprising to me the people that were running and they dropped out for various reasons, but the fact that they were so to use a term that the kids love to use, delulu, that they thought they could be the governor of the state is just endlessly fascinating. And one of those people who was running for governor who I am just endlessly fascinated by, is billionaire Stephen Klubec.
Speaker 2: Don't bust the trust.
Speaker 1: Stephen Klubec is a billionaire who made his money in time shares, So I don't know if that makes him less popular than Tom Steyer. Probably does. Stephen Klubec famously dropped out of the race to endorse Eric Swalwell, and Stephen Klubec actually was giving Eric Swalwell all kinds of money, including going on fancy trips to France, and Eric Swalwell was staying at Stephen Klubec's house in Beverly Hills when the big scandal broke no and then a few days later Stephen Klubec kicks Eric Swalwell out of his house, says he's no longer a Democrat, and of course.
Speaker 2: Said don't bust the trust.
Speaker 1: But he always seemed like a really strange guy, especially considering that Swaalwell was his top choice. This was the guy that he really was like, Okay, I'm not going to run and I'm going to put all my money behind Now we know the accused rapist, but Stephen Klubeck also has a very very interesting past. And Stephen Klubec is the first person who I believe was running for governor who has now been arrested. Swallwell has been shamed out of existence, but criminal charges have yet to be filed on him for anything yet yet being the important word there. But Stephen Kluback was just arrested for witness tampering in a case involving his fiance, who is somebody that we have actually covered in the past in the California Crime Blodder.
Speaker 2: Don't bust the trust.
Speaker 1: Because Stephen Klubec's fiance is a woman who goes by the fake name of Mia Ventura, and she's the one that was romance scamming all these rich guys and going on podcasts in Vegas, going into the green room and stealing everyone's purses. She's facing all kinds of felony theft counts, and allegedly Stephen Klubeck, who again is dating this woman, threatened the potential witnesses the victims in her crimes. I'm telling you, this governor's race gets weirder and weirder and weirder with that. Here is Katie La and the update on former governor candidate and former Eric Swalwell's supporter Stephen Kluback.
Speaker 3: No, former California gubernatorial candidate Stephen Klubeck is facing felony charges accused of witness temper. It is fiance's criminal case.
Speaker 1: So when he was so delulu that he was actually running for governor, he was still dating this woman. I would imagine he was still engaged. I don't know the timeline, but did he expect Mia Ventura to be the first partner of California. I have a theory and it gets proven right every single day. There is no such thing as a normal billionaire. That much money makes you crazy, and you see proof of it every single day.
Speaker 3: Authority say the sixty four year old billionaire in real estate developer was taken into custody on suspicion of trying to prevent witnesses from testifying.
Speaker 4: The case involves accusations that his fiancee, Adva la Vie and OnlyFans model stole.
Speaker 1: Why is a billionaire dating an OnlyFans model? Was he like the original white whale? But then he fell in love and then he decided to support her habit of defrauding other rich guys.
Speaker 5: This is so weird.
Speaker 4: The case involves accusations that his fiancee, Adva la Ville and OnlyFans model stole from wealthy men across Southern California. Kay Tilly's John Finolio joined the slide from West Hollywood with the story John.
Speaker 2: Share and Mike.
Speaker 6: Billionaire Stephen Klubec turned himself in here to the West Hollywood Share station yesterday. He bonded out the same day. Investigators are now looking into whether he used his power and influence to intimidate witnesses.
Speaker 5: What is this guy?
Speaker 6: A mobster and a felony case that was already drawing headlines across southern California.
Speaker 1: You know I had heard rumors that Klubec was dating an OnlyFans model I didn't learn until yesterday that he was dating the Only Fans model that was scamming all the rich guys in Southern California.
Speaker 6: Former California.
Speaker 1: Also, I don't care how much money you have, look at yourself in the mirror, look at the OnlyFans Model. Yeah, you know what you're getting into. I don't feel bad for any of those guys.
Speaker 6: Former California gubernatorial candidate and billionaire Steven Klubeck walked out of custody after posting three hundred thousand dollars on Tuesday, but his legal troubles may be far from over.
Speaker 7: You have multiple witnesses that have corroborating statements. That only makes the evidence that much more credible.
Speaker 1: The sixty Yes, there are a lot of victims that Mia Ventura has defrauded over the years. I'm guessing she's been doing this while she's been dating Steven Kluback. This guy said that he was going to be our governor. This guy spend money running for governor before he dropped out and endorsed the accused rapist.
Speaker 6: The sixty four year old real estate magnate is accused of trying to dissuade witnesses connected to the criminal case against his fiance model at the labby. She also uses the name mia Ventura online and is accused of targeting wealthy older men and young women through dating apps.
Speaker 5: And young women. What is going on here.
Speaker 6: Gaining access to their homes then stealing cash, jewelry.
Speaker 1: Maybe she's just trying to be friends with the young women, or I'll help you get into the Only Fans world. I'll be an influencer along with you. But famously, she was on some weird Vegas podcast in a club and I don't know what her credentials were that she was invited to be a guest on a Vegas podcast, But she goes into the green room and she got caught stealing from everybody's purses.
Speaker 6: Gaining access to their homes, then stealing cash, jewelry and other luxury items.
Speaker 1: And you have to ask yourself, why, oh why is she doing this when she's dating a billionaire unless you know, it's not about the money, it's about.
Speaker 2: The rush prosecutor.
Speaker 1: And are we to believe that Stephen Kluebeck didn't know about any of this. No, no, no, no no, Because Stephen Kluebag apparently was trying to go after the victims for testifying against her.
Speaker 6: Prosecutors say Lavvy's alleged crime stretched across West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and Westlake Village. Earlier this year, a judgement.
Speaker 1: Not to be confused with west Lake. Westlake Village is near on Thousand Oaks. There's a great loss of gaves there. West Lake is where MacArthur Park is. Don't get them confused.
Speaker 6: Earlier this year, a judge ordered Lavvy to stand trial on six felony counts, including burglary and grand theft. Now investigators are focused on whether Klubec tried to keep at least three of her alleged victims from testifying, and.
Speaker 7: He's being charged as felonies or to Swatye Winness staates he's posted a three hundred thousand dollars bail. That is saying that this is being treated very, very seriously. It's a very significant charge. It can carry multiple years of state prison if he's.
Speaker 5: Convicted witness tampering.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess you get to a point where you think you are untouchable, you are all powerful, and it turns out this guy's having a really, really bad twenty twenty six drops out of the race. The guy he gets behind turns out he's an accused rapist.
Speaker 2: And then this.
Speaker 5: Money doesn't solve all your problems.
Speaker 6: Kids, the California Post reports.
Speaker 5: Does solve some of them, but not all of them.
Speaker 6: The California Post reports Klubec threatened an attorney connected to the case, but authorities have not publicly released details about the alleged conduct. Klubec previously ran for governor himself, then later through his support behind now former Congressman Eric Swalwell, but that campaign unraveled last month when Swawell suspended his campaign and resigned from Congress after facing sexual assault allegations, which he denied.
Speaker 1: And that's when Klubec kicked Swawell out of his house. Matthew Sedor from Fox eleven catches up to him on a morning jog, and he said the immoral line.
Speaker 2: Don't bust the trust.
Speaker 5: Don't be busting that trust.
Speaker 6: Now the spotlight has shifted back to Klubec and why someone with his wealth and influence would allegedly intimidate witnesses in a criminal case.
Speaker 7: Romance is the best explanation for why somebody who is not affiliated.
Speaker 1: With I don't know what's going on with Mia Ventura. But that must be one magical you know what, because she has not only tricked a whole bunch of other rich guys into giving her money or giving her access so she could steal their money. But Klubec is wrapped around her finger.
Speaker 7: Oh boy, romance is the best explanation for why somebody who is not affiliated with a high profile criminal case and now inserted himself into it in such a level that he has been arrested.
Speaker 1: He's so in love with this crazy criminal that he's willing to go to prison over it.
Speaker 7: And had to postpond, and now he's going to be facing criminal charges of his own.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 6: So Quebec's lawyers say that these charges are false and that he is looking forward to his day in court.
Speaker 1: He's, Oh, I'm looking forward to it as well. Can we make sure that that case is televised.
Speaker 6: He's set to be arraigned on August seventh. His fiance, Adva Levie is due back in court next week in West Hollywood. I'm John Finolio sitting it back to you.
Speaker 1: Just when you thought this governor's race couldn't get any weirder, you have Stephen Klobec getting arrested for witness tampering in his girlfriend's case where she was defrauding and stealing from other gross old rich guys. And this is where you look at the sixty one people who made it this far and are on the ballot, and you're running for governor. And sure some of them are just gadflies. You still paid four thousand dollars to get your name on the ballot, so that sort seems really irresponsible. But every single one of these people, including the top ten that we talk about, they all think that they are so important that they can run this state. And the more we find out about a lot of these people, it is fascinating how untouchable Swallwell thought he was with all that baggage, that he could run for governor. It's fascinating to me that Klubac was ready to run for governor knowing that he was dating a criminal. You can say a lot of things about the twenty twenty six California governor's race, but the one thing that people were saying last year is the furthest thing from the truth. This race is anything but boring. And even though this specific instance, we're talking about somebody that's already dropped out. There is so much drama developing every single day on the remaining candidates who are on the island and haven't been voted out yet that I wonder if the reason turnout is only at about two percent is because people are waiting for whatever the next shoe is going to drop, whether that shoe is on Javier bacheriea scrub it, whether it is on KT Porter out of my shop, or whether it's on crazy billionaire Tom Steyer. And so there may be people that are waiting to cast that ballot because they're not totally sure what else is going to develop in this completely insane race to be the leader of the fourth largest economy in the world. Eight hundred two two two five two two two is the telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. You can always email us at Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com. Carl writes in at Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com and says, I'm wondering if you guys have done a segment on the amazing Spencer pratt Ai advertisements that have been showing up good in guerrilla fashion on YouTube. I feel like they are the dawn of a new era in political warfare. Oh, we've covered it and I have seen the videos. Now are they actually showing up like as ads on YouTube? Because I got to be honest with you, I pay for YouTube Premium, which means I don't see any ads on YouTube for as much YouTube as I do, specifically as show prep for this show. It's where I find one hundred percent of the content. I get irritated when people don't post things on YouTube. I could not deal with that app if I had to see an ad every time I clicked on another news story. So you know, I'd love to actually do an endorsement for this someday.
Speaker 5: I really would.
Speaker 1: But all I'm saying is that if the ads drive you crazy, it's like eighteen bucks a month, and then it also comes with the music app, which we use to play all the music on this show, so works out for me. I very much do like using YouTube without the ads. But are you seeing those Spencer pratt ai videos as an advertisement? Because I thought they're just going viral? But maybe I was under the impression every time you click on a YouTube video you see a Tom Steyer ad and boy, isn't that getting old?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 1: Do I have something exciting for you? Seven ninety KABC welcomes on the About Jelly to the Hollywood Ball September fifteenth and sixteenth. Tickets are on sale now at ticketmaster dot com. But right now, calling number nine at one eight eight eight seven ninety five two to two two gets a pair of tickets to the show on September sixteenth. Tickets furnished by Live Nation. Good Luck Dialing eight hundred two two two five two two two is the telephone number.
Speaker 5: Let's go to Ronnie and Seal Page. Ronnie.
Speaker 8: Hello, Hey, Randy, my brother, what's going on? Buddy?
Speaker 5: Doing great?
Speaker 8: It's been a minute. You're doing a good job. By the way, Hey Randy, look at two quick combents. Okay, the Democrat I couldn't get my ballot cast its fast enough for Steve Hilbey, So so Randy, seventeen years of carnage and mayhem from the Democrats. If you know nothing about politics, all you have to do is go, hey, when was California most prosperous? And you go back in time and you'll see that it was under Republican leader and there's your answer right there, is it not?
Speaker 5: That is a very strong argument.
Speaker 1: I don't know if a lot of voters are going to make that same deduction, but you can definitely point to that. Well.
Speaker 8: It's very simple. Like Chad Duppa said the last debay or the one before that, you kids are going to have to move out of the state because it's going to be a hardship for you because you're not gonna be able to do it here. And these morons are getting ready to vote for the same carnage again. I can't believe it. Randy. I'm glad you and John are around at least helped school some of these people. And my second comment is, you know, with names like swallow Well, swallows Well and Porker and clueless, you know you're on the wrong side.
Speaker 1: I love you, Randy, Thanks so much for the call. Appreciate it. We have had some very very very interesting candidates running for governor this cycle, now onto the LA mayors race. Spencer Pratt is getting a lot of attention for those AI generated videos of Spencer Pratt is Batman and Karen bass is the Joker. Karen bass is Darth Vader, and Spencer Pratt is a Jedi. They are starting to get a lot of attention, not just locally but nationally. Here is an update on all the mayoral ads that we're seeing on the TV with Fox eleven.
Speaker 9: Los Angeles Mayor Karen bassays burglaries are down by more than thirty percent this year over last.
Speaker 5: Nobody's buying that. Do you know?
Speaker 1: The night after she had that press conference in the valley about how there are a bunch of arrests for the burglaries, another burglary happened.
Speaker 9: Bass and the LAPD say targeted efforts are responsible for the improvement, including more than one hundred arrests made in April. Just last week, as suspect link to twenty five residential burglaries was taken into custody, police said.
Speaker 1: That's right, he broke into twenty five houses before he was caught, So you have what a four percent chance of getting caught.
Speaker 9: Please say that suspect is linked to a South American crime crew. Bas says, while the data is encouraging, the priority is ensuring all residents feel safe in their neighborhoods.
Speaker 5: And let me tell you, as a resident of the valley, we don't.
Speaker 9: New Tonight New attack ads in the LA mayoral race are raising some eyebrows tonight.
Speaker 10: Republican Spencer Pratt is the last thing Los Angeles needs for mayor. Pratt opos is using taxpayer money to build brand new houses for unhoused neighbors.
Speaker 5: Oh boy, do you know what that is?
Speaker 1: That is a good old fashioned elevate the other candidate ad. Specifically the way that it is framed, it almost sounds like the same consultant that was doing that for ads about Eric Early or Steve Garvey. But it sure seems like there is some consultant out there that wants to make make sure it's best Pratt in the runoff and not Bass Rahman in the runoff.
Speaker 9: Funded by the LA County Federation of Labor, this ad criticizes mayoral candidates.
Speaker 1: That's right, union dues are going towards paying for that kind of a hacky ad.
Speaker 5: We've got to get all the money out of politics.
Speaker 9: Criticizes mayoral candidate Spencer Pratt's plans to boost police, cut local union power, and reduce homeless housing projects. But rival LA Council Member Nthia Rahman tells The LA Times it's a quote cynical attempt to help Pratt appeal to conservatives and face mayor Karen Bass in the November runoff. Spencer Pratt himself shared a new Bass attack ad today using artificial intelligence.
Speaker 1: And again, I don't know if you can really call it an AD because you can't actually use those for advertising. It would be violating so many different kinds of copyrights, including one of them had you know, a very popular EDM song in them.
Speaker 5: That they're not ads.
Speaker 1: They are videos that are being produced on social media, I think by one guy, and they're going everywhere, so they are videos, but they are not political advertisements. You can't go to ktla and do an ad buy for Spencer prattis Batman.
Speaker 5: You would get so sued.
Speaker 11: I've addressed the homeless problem now most of them won't stab you.
Speaker 1: This is the AI generated Karen Bass standing in front of a burned down Los Angeles talking about her accomplishments.
Speaker 4: As long as you don't make eye contact.
Speaker 12: Almost none of the needles in children's playgrounds have aids on them.
Speaker 1: I mean, whoever's producing these, they've got their subject material down.
Speaker 12: If you like the last four years, you're going to love the next four.
Speaker 9: Pratt claims both mayor. Bass and Nathia Rahman are working to sideline him as he surges in the polls. Milan ballots are already out ahead of the primary on June second.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Marla.
Speaker 1: Now, the other thing that happened in the Spencer Pratt world yesterday is bizarre complaining about how is Spencer Pratt really living twenty four to seven in the airstream on his burned out lot. He even had to go on TMZ to defend himself. And whoever decided that this was going to be the attack for Spencer Pratt, it's blowing up in their face.
Speaker 5: Ohlets here is CBSLA.
Speaker 12: Olletsaw talk politics. Now we are twenty days out from the primary and the race for La mayor.
Speaker 1: That's right, All this nonsense is going to be over until we start talking about the November election, although most of the interesting race are happening in the primary. Although if we're in a Bass Pratt runoff, this thing's going to be fun all the way until November.
Speaker 9: Spencer Pratt has been searching in the polls and tonight there's more controversy over where he lives.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 12: Cbsla's Nicol Comstock is live in the Pacific Palisades. So explain the issue of temporary housing, Nicole.
Speaker 1: You mean, because his house burned down and he can't even get the funding to rebuild it, and the city won't even actually give him the permit to rebuild it.
Speaker 13: Yeah, we were sent to the Palisades tonight to see what people here think about Spencer Pratt once again being questioned about where exactly he's been living since his home burned down in the fire.
Speaker 1: And mostly you could ask that question about the thousands of residents that lost their home because they're not back in the Palisades, because the Palisades is still not rebuilt.
Speaker 5: We're not even close.
Speaker 1: Only four hundred homes are under construction out of the six thousand that burned down.
Speaker 13: And most people we spoke with say they think it's unfair and, quite frankly ridiculous.
Speaker 5: Hey, we got one. It's been a while.
Speaker 1: I feel like if there's any small thing that I contributed to society, was just pointing out how often people say the phrase that pays, quite frankly, because once you realize it, you stop. Now the other.
Speaker 13: One, absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 1: Everyone needs to check themselves and realize how much they are saying that, including if you can find really old episodes of my old podcast when I was in my twenties. I think I said that word all the time, but I've grown out of that, and I don't think you can find those podcasts anywhere.
Speaker 13: And most people we spoke with say they think it's unfair and quite frankly ridiculous, since they too have been in and out of friends and families, homes and in and out of hotels as they continue trying to re build this community.
Speaker 5: All of a sudden, I feel like Burgers.
Speaker 13: It's a shell of what it used to be. The Pacific Palisades property that reality TV star turned to La mayoral candidate Spencer Pratt calls home.
Speaker 2: This is where I live.
Speaker 5: They let my home burn down.
Speaker 13: But some are calling into question if he really lives here in the airspace.
Speaker 1: Well, it's still his home, and it is still an empty lot. It's got the airstream in there, but it is still a burned out home. That is his home. Who decided this is how you go after Pratt. You can maybe say that you don't agree with some of his policy solutions. You can try to go after his lack of experience, but you want to really bring the conversation back to that the reason he's running is because his house burned down, thanks in a major part to the incompetence of the city and County of Los Angeles.
Speaker 13: In the airstream trailer featured in his campaign acts.
Speaker 10: Are you saying you live in that trailer?
Speaker 5: I don't live anywhere, is what I'm saying. I don't have a house.
Speaker 2: They burned it down. Harvey.
Speaker 1: Also, were you aware that TMZ was still a thing we are now today?
Speaker 13: Pratt went about with TMZ after they questioned his recent stays at the hotel bel Air, Pratt saying he's only stayed there a few times recently, doing part to receiving death threats.
Speaker 6: I'm at a hotel because he's psychopaths.
Speaker 2: Our message never did.
Speaker 8: They're gonna kill me because Nitthya Rahman is calling me a fascist because I don't want people to have their kids next to drug addicts at the park.
Speaker 1: That sounds pretty damn fascist to me, or stepping a human.
Speaker 5: You know, as you look.
Speaker 1: At the political spectrum and you have normal people in the middle, I consider Spencer Pratt to be a pretty normal voice, and there's nothing that I've heard him talk about that is extremely partisan one way or another. It's mostly common sense the things that we see right in front of us, and confronting government corruption and failures. But what's funny is as you go to the extremes of the political spectrum, whether it's the far left or the far right, both of those kinds of people call each other fascist all the time.
Speaker 8: Or stepping a human poop when you get.
Speaker 13: Your macha, adding that criticisms about is temporary lodging sense or exercises in samantics.
Speaker 3: If somebody is working with their insurance company to get reimbursed for the rebuild of their house and they're planning to come back and live with their house.
Speaker 5: I think Pratt was on the fair plan.
Speaker 7: They're entitled to vote in that election in that district, and they're allowed to run for office.
Speaker 13: Zavy O Roslovsky is the director of the LA Initiative at the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs. He says prance postfire living arrangements are a non issue legally. The LA County Registrars Office confirms inside.
Speaker 1: Is anybody actually challenging if Spencer Pratt is an LA resident because he's home burned down.
Speaker 13: The La County Registrars Office confirms in situations where a candidate has been temporarily displaced, such as the twenty twenty five wildfires, their eligibility to run for office is not impacted. Temporary relocation during rebuilding or recovery does not by itself change a person's domicile and may not be an issue with voters either.
Speaker 4: We were displaced Manhattan Beach for a year because my cousins lived there.
Speaker 13: Many people in the Palisades have been in Pratt's shoes, having to relocate elsewhere for over a year after the fire. No, I don't think it's fair.
Speaker 9: Until you've lived what we've gone through, you shouldn't criticize what anybody is doing.
Speaker 14: They lost everything and they need to be doing what's best for their family.
Speaker 1: And yeah, a lot of these people and to this day they're still dealing with the trauma from this. They didn't just lose the place that they lived, the place that they sleeped. They lost everything they own, all their clothes, all of their memories, all of their photo everything.
Speaker 13: And we also reached out to Spencer Pratt's PR team this evening to see if he had time to speak with us individually. We were told that he wasn't available this evening. We'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 12: All right, thank you, Nicole. A new poll out today shows Mayor Bass in the lead with thirty percent. Spencer Pratt also gaining momentum with twenty two percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that poll, the Emerson poll had him in March at eleven percent. Now he's up to twenty two percent. So that's pretty interesting. Although the Paul Mitchell people will say, don't take that poll too seriously because that poll polled about three hundred people, which is like trying to figure out how many people are listening to a radio station in a market like Los Angeles with twenty million people by giving out two thousand beepers.
Speaker 5: That's a real thing.
Speaker 12: Councilwoman Nithia Rahman at nineteen percent, followed by Adam Miller with seven percent, and sixteen percent of voters.
Speaker 1: Oh Ray Hwang doesn't even get a mention. She's the other. There's two socialists on the ballot in LA.
Speaker 12: And sixteen percent of voters are undecided. That's down dramatically from fifty one percent of undecided voters in March.
Speaker 1: So there you go. That's the latest on the goings on in the LA Mayor's race. If you'd like to email us, you could do so at Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com. Getting a couple of people that say they are seeing those AI things on Facebook ads or YouTube ads. I'm going to guess the rules and regulations for buying a digital ad on a social media website are very different than radio and broadcast television because we have a whole lot of rules we.
Speaker 5: Have to follow.
Speaker 1: Otherwise, I'm sure someone would try to do an add BI, although I don't think they would work that well on radio. Maybe the city of Los Angeles is filthy as somebody that just spent the weekend in San Francisco. Let me tell you, as long as you're not in the three neighborhoods that are big problem areas right now, Soma, the Mission, and the Tenderloin. For the most part, San Francisco was surprisingly clean. And maybe I'm just think that because I live in LA and LA looks dirty all the time. This city looks dirty all the time, and the city's about to get a lot dirtier with the new budget, because the city council wants to kill the coastal cleanup people that we have that are supposed to making sure that people who go visit the Venice Boardwalk are stepping in a bunch of garbage. For more, here's NBCLA.
Speaker 11: The teams keeping LA's coastline clean could be on the chopping block. Good evening, once again, everyone, I'm Colleen Williams.
Speaker 2: And I'm Michael Browley.
Speaker 1: The city may eliminate funding for the Care plus Coastal Area teams.
Speaker 2: Now that's a group addressing try.
Speaker 1: Nothing is more LA than in a budget deficit. What are we cutting trash pickup, trash and sanitation issues from around the Port of La to Pacific Palisades.
Speaker 11: NBC four is Alex Rosier joins us live from Venice to explain why this has some city leaders very concerned.
Speaker 15: Alex, Colleen and Michael, people like council Member Tracy Park are concerned about cutting these clean up teams because these teams have really helped keep places like Ocean Front Walk in Venice nearly spotless. I'll give you a live look at it.
Speaker 1: Well spotless from trash, not spotless from the weirdos that are on the board walk all the time. But I guess that's part of the point nearly spotless.
Speaker 15: I'll give you a live look at it tonight from our live truck camera.
Speaker 2: Ocean Front Walk.
Speaker 1: You want to see a random guy who's shirtless on a skateboard playing the accordion.
Speaker 15: Go to Venice Walk looks great and the council member here really wants to keep it that way.
Speaker 2: Ocean Front Walk.
Speaker 15: In Venice is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Scotty, this is why there's not that much fun stuff to do in LA. If the Venice Boardwalk is one of the top destinations, we've got problems.
Speaker 15: Scotty Todd's worked as a street artist here for more than two decades.
Speaker 2: I came down here October.
Speaker 1: I guess that's because all of the theme parks are not actually in the city of Los Angeles.
Speaker 6: I came down here October two thousand and five.
Speaker 15: Scotty said he left temporarily in twenty twenty one, when he says the homeless and trash became a big problem.
Speaker 2: During the pandemic. They allowed the tants and everything down here.
Speaker 15: But in recent years the city launched care plus Co Stilaria teams that address trash and sanitation issues from around the Port of Los Angeles to the Palisades where.
Speaker 1: You would want clean up because the last thing we want is all of that trash and garbage going into our oceans.
Speaker 14: They at work five days a week to cover our coastlines and sensitive waterways and environmental habitat areas.
Speaker 15: Now, Council Member Tracy Park, who represents Venice and the Palisades, is concerned that funding for this coastal program may be eliminated.
Speaker 14: We are very, very concerned that this was left out of the proposed budget.
Speaker 15: LA Mayor Karen Vass's office said. The Care and Care Plus program, designed to clean streets is a fifty million dollar program that's still in the budget, with an additional eleven million dollars proposed to address issues like street sweeping and illegal dumping city wide. The proposed budget just eliminates the specific extra funding focused only on coastal care.
Speaker 5: Where you might want some extra people, Parks.
Speaker 15: Team says that's an extra two million dollars. Council Member Katie Yaroslavsky is the budget chair.
Speaker 11: I don't think we can have specialized geography specific care Care Plus teams given that we just don't. We don't even have enough that are citywide.
Speaker 1: This is equity in the city of Los Angeles. We can't make Venice look clean. It should be as dirty as the rest of the city. LA is a giant pile of filth. I'm born and raised here, I'm allowed to say so. It's Randy Wang here on The John Phillips Show.