Speaker 1: It's around the park with Dave Fleming.
Speaker 2: Our guest today, the great Hall of Fame voice of the Guardians, Tom Hamilton. We'll talk to Tom right after this. It's around the park with Dave Fleming. We're here in Cleveland, which means we get a chance to say hi to one of the greats. Tom Hamilton, Baseball Hall of Famer, broadcaster for the Guardians for many, many years, one of my favorite guys in the league. It's been first of all, it's great to see you on a beautiful summer day in Cleveland.
Speaker 1: It has not been a totally normal year for the Guardians, has it been.
Speaker 3: No great to have you folks here too as well, Dave. And it's kind of puzzling, you know. They just since the All Star Break. They went into the All Star Break sweeping Miami down there, and then at the deadline thought that they really did some terrific things adding four key guys, and so you kind of thought, okay, and they're three and nine since the trades, they're nine to nineteen. Since the All Star Break, they haven't won two in a row day in a month, and yet because of the crazy American League. Oh yeah, they're one of six teams a game out of the final wildcard spot. So I don't know they're a hardball club to explain other than they're not consistent.
Speaker 2: One game out despite the record. Do you get a sense when you're down there in the locker room with those guys, do you get a sense that they're energized by the fact that they still are.
Speaker 1: In this race? Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 3: You know, it's not a real vociferous group other than Austin Hedges, you know, but yeah, they I think they're flustered too. And now they've had a tough stretch schedule wise.
Speaker 1: And I sure don't mean.
Speaker 3: To demean anybody by this, but their next twelve games are against the Giants, Colorado, Anaheim. I don't care what they say, Anaheim, and Kansas City. And if they can't make a run in those twelve games, Dave, then I don't think they will.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Giants are sure struggling right now. Now.
Speaker 2: One of the many things that's happened to the Giants this year, Patrick Bailey's gone. And look, the Giants got a really great pitcher in the draft that they love, and a kid who might make his debut here from your club in exchange for Patrick Bailey. They do miss the gold Glover though.
Speaker 3: How's Patrick ben for you guys, Well, he's been as advertised, and you folks know how good he is defensively. He's a marvel back there. We have two really good defensive catchers. That's what this organization's all about. Whatever you give them offensively as a catcher as a bonus, it's all about that pitching staff. It's why we're a contender usually year and in, year out because of the pitching. And he's gotten better offensively, and I think he needed a change of scenery. I think this ballpark obviously is a lot easier to hit in than the one in San Francisco. So he's been terrific. You've got him for the next three years. He'll be your number one catcher at least for the next three years. So I think the way it should be, Dave, it was a win win for both ball clubs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're wording for Patrick, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Final question, the other guy on your roster. I mean, there are a lot of interesting players, but the other guy that I think Northern California people care a lot about is Stephen Kwan.
Speaker 1: Grew up in the Bay Area.
Speaker 2: Grew up as a huge Giants fan, and you look at the numbers and I guess they're a little bit better. But you following him throughout the year, it just doesn't.
Speaker 1: Seem like the normal Stephen Kuan.
Speaker 3: He has in the past been phenomenal in the first half, scuffled in the second half.
Speaker 1: It was polar opposite. This year.
Speaker 3: He was batting two twelve at the end of June. He's batted close to three ninety since July first. He's had no ps over nine hundred since July first. He's playing a lot more center field now to try to get a bat in the lineup. Look, he's elite in left field, Dave, there's nobody better in the game defensively in left field. He's a good center fielder. But now he's having a typical Stephen Kwan year. Once he got back to not trying to pull everything and hitting line drives the other way, he makes this club go. The problem has been offensively. This has been one of the worst teams in baseball for the second year in a row. There is never any margin for error on a given night with this ball club, and that's why they are where they are.
Speaker 2: Always great to see you same here. Thanks for having me Dave. That's Tom Hambleton. Will keep going with the pregame right after this