Speaker 1: And we continue at two oh five in the afternoon on the John Phillips Show. Mister Randy wgings in Culver City.
Speaker 2: John, it was the grand opening for the La Metros extension of the D line, going all the way now from Koreatown to the Miracle Mile. And to celebrate there's free Metro rides all weekend and they're even giving away t shirts that say.
Speaker 1: Ride the d oh no, yep. Well, I'm sure those shirts will be popular, but not for the reasons they're anticipating. Eight hundred two two two five two two two is jellphone number one. Eight hundred two two two five two two two. It is our pleasure to bolcome our next guest to the program. He's with the Hoover Institution up at Stanford University. He's also author of the forthcoming book The Counter Revel The Fall and Rise of Donald Trump and the MAGA Movement, available online at Amazon dot com. You can follow him on x at VD Hanson Victor Davis Hanson, Welcome, Thank you for having me, well, thanks so much for stopping by. And you are, in addition to being a guy who has his pulse on American politics and classics and all of those things. You're also a guy who understands California backwards and forwards. You're a native. You live here, you have raised your family here, you've worked here, paid taxes here. And I've got to tell you, as someone who has lived here my entire life as well, I've never been this concerned, slash depressed about the future of the state. As I look at the stable of candidates running for governor. This unimpressive list of career politicians, of people who have failed upwards their entire lives, who think that they're capable of running a state the size of California, But all of us know that they're not. They are bright enough to understand that they can't run on their own record. They can't say that things in California have improved under sixteen consecutive years of Democratic Party rule, first for Jerry Brown, then with Gavin Newsom. They know that crime is worse, They know that homelessness is worse. They know that the bullet trains a disaster. They know that none of us can buy insurance either for our homes or our businesses. They know that the budget is upside down and they're going to probably raise our taxes in any number of ways in the coming years. So what do they do. They spend all of their time talking about Donald Trump. And because they spend all of their time criticizing Donald Trump and criticizing Ice and weighing in on federal policy, they don't really spend much time at all talking about California Now, the voters who are going to be deciding who the next governor is. Of course, they don't benefit from that, but it also makes it difficult for one of them to break away from the pack because they're all saying the same thing. They're all criticizing Donald Trump, and they don't really create a differentiation between themselves and the other candidates for the voters. Are you as pessimistic as I am about this upcoming gubernatorial election?
Speaker 3: I'm afraid I might be more pessimistic. I have a scenario where it's probably close, maybe for a while, and then we have it. The counting will go on in typical California fashion for a month, and all of a sudden, we'll start to see sciu ballots start to be counted that we're mailed in twenty days later or except for people who were not here legally. So I'm just as suspicious of when speaking as a veteran of three or four different here in the San Joaquin Valley of congressional races where Republican candidates actually one on election day and lost. I think that's happened two or three times now. So a part of the problem in California is that they control that they've controlled with supermajorities, the legislature. They control the appointments to the judicial bench. All the superior court judges, I mean all of the sports leader judges are retired or retiring. So they have legislative executives, not one set wide Republican executive. And they have the legislative executive and judicial and then they have the administrative states. So there's there's nowhere. And then it's even more depressing that when you talk to people in your family and my family, they're voted for this and others forms that do. They admit that things are terrible, but they still keep voting because, as you say, it's we're not Donald Trump, or California's got the tech industry or since rediculous. But they'll talk about everything except the price of gasoline, kill a lot of hours, property car insurance, house insurance, the fire in La the fire and this year, any the water crisis, anything that matters to people, they won't talk about because they know what they did. But they also know that they know what they did, and the people are going to vote for them again. I think we've got to realize that it's not necessarily a political problem. It's a demographic problem. We've lost about two hundred and fifty to three hundred thousand people a year, and that adds up after thirty years, we've lost about eight million people more mc majon, Reagan, Pete Wilson, Schwarzenegger voters. And then we've had this eleven twelve trillion dollar market capitalization in Silicon Valley with this limitless amount of money. But that's why we have. The center of power is left southern California. There's no Sammy Ordians or anybody like that anymore. It's it's Kamala Harris, Jerry Brown, Diane Feinstein, Barbara Boxer, you name it, Nancy Pelosi, Gavin Newsom. They're all Northern California leftists that are all either nevol kids, are very very wealthy and they feel they have all that Silicon Valley money and they live on that coastal strip. So the Joyas Brooke League, and they heard a lot of their wealth. But some of them they make a lot of money, and it's a kind of a medieval society. Everybody else is pretty poor. There's no middle class like there used to be. We add into the matrix at twenty seven percent of the population was not born in the United States. So if you've got a problem with truckers from India that haven't been property licensed, and that's a constituency. If suddenly you're a racist and you're anti Indian. If you have a problem with DUI with a lot of Hispanic drivers they're here illegally from Mexico, then you're a racist. If you've got a problem with people swarming in a jewelry store in la or walking out with something and you hate blacks and that DEI and MESSI. So it's just DEI, d I d I in down Trump Donald Trump, and nobody talks about the real problems that affited everybody. And I've never said so, I'm pretty pisionistic.
Speaker 1: I have a friend of mine who is a smart lady, college educated lady, white collar professional, retired now homeowner in California, fun to go drinking with, fun to have dinner with politically a partisan liberal Democrat, and you get a couple of drinks dinner, and you start talking about the homeless problem, and she hates it. She moved out of Los Angeles because she can't stand it. You talk to her about retail theft. She hates the fact that her local drug store is shut down, her local Starbucks is shut down because of retail theft, and because of all the problems associated with crime. She recognizes that the bullet train is never going to be built. She complains about the fact that her insurance company dropped her and it's very difficult for her to buy insurance. She doesn't like to pay more money in taxes. She understands that people are stealing from medical in terms of everything that we've learned from Nick Shirley and CBS News regarding the hospice care fraud going on in the San Fernando Valley. But when you ask her, okay, are you ready to start voting different and put an end to that, she doesn't regard those issues as political. She regards those issues as parochial, as just problems with the area that you live in. To her, politics is all about Donald Trump and hating Donald Trump, and she takes that extremely myopic view of what is political and what is politics to her, and that's how she casts her ballot. How do you break through to someone like that who knows better but will not change the way they vote, at least now.
Speaker 3: I don't think you can, because I've had that similar experience. And what's going to change is that what can't go on won't go on. And when you're losing well over a quarter million high earners and you've already got one percent paying almost fifty percent of the income tax, which is intel of the budget, and you're driving out refineries, and now you're doing the most suicidal thing, driving out the billionaires. And then you've got twenty one percent of the population below the poverty line, and you've got fifty percent of all verse or medical verst forty percent of the population is on medical. At some point, there's not enough to victimizers and offensors to pay for the victimize and the oppress. They're running out of targets and pretty much they're getting down to the nitty gritty people who are you know, have a farm or they have a family business, or their grandkids are here, they can't leave. But anybody that's mobile is leading. And these are the people who pay. These are the people they despise that they pay the tab and they're not the people who are on public assistance and getting cash. They're not the people who need the scene of an accident. They're not the people who shoplift, They're not the people that's the overhead charge in California. These are the people pay for that overset charge. But when you lean when these people leave, and it's all different ethnic backgrounds are leaving. You know a lot of successful in Mexican American, Indian American people are leaving. And when you get all of these successful people or upwardly mobile people, then who is going to pay for these people, especially if you have a Republican administration again, because I'm not going to bail them out anymore. And it's just I don't know. I mean, all the successful sectors that we need. The oil and gas has been destroyed. The timber industry has been destroyed, the membal industry have been destroyed. They've got hundreds of thousands of acres that are out of production because they can't get water. Even though we have a pretty good wet year every year now. So they've attacked agriculture. They go after all the successful industries and make it almost impossible, and then when people leave, they insult on it. I talked to a very prosperous guy that's a big donor at Stanford, and he said, it's not so much as they gouge me taxing if they insult me. So it's like it's my duty to pay for all these flaudulent schemes they dream on, and then they insult me for being so stupid. So I'm not even stupid anymore. And I think that's what's getting people angry. They insult them as well as take them to the cleaners. And they're not going to do it anymore. And you know it's and that's hard to do in California. It's the most naturally abundant, affluent, beautiful state in the nation, and how you turn that into prevatory is pretty hard to do that. They've managed to do it, and they won't stop. It's never enough for them because they get up every morning thinking I haven't had enough socialism. I have to do allow of social stuff today and I have to hate Donald Trump more and then they go to bed. I think I didn't do enough. I should have done more to hate Crump and playing more socialism into Californy. And it's always it's very sad. We have the top twenty universities in the nation. We have supposedly the top five, not the top five to five of the top twenty Stanford, cal Tech, UCLA, UFC and U s boute. But when you go to those campuses and you see what they're teaching, when you talk to people who hire their graduates, would you want to hire a law graduate from UCLA or Standing when they've when they've driven out of federal judge or a speaker in sulfomm and their whole curriculus dei and they don't really know contract law or bond law or any of the traditional legal disciplines. So everything has been done down four or five notch is the medical, legal media, everything, it's kind of a common denominator. They have so many people that are poorly educated that you really can't have excellence. And when you try to strive for excusing that whole Bourg comes in your face and says you're a classicist. And I mean in the sense that you hate people of a different class you hate, you're a racist or a natives, your chancellors, you're homophobis misogynous. That they never deal with the argument. And so unless it's got to get a little bit worse, I think until the state is dysfunctional, and then maybe they'll call am a cavalry or I don't know, the fire department, somebody that's put out the flame. But it's amazing just watching that debate with Karen Bath. I just her whole debate was, I can't say a word because I destroyed the city as much as it was not destroyed when I inherited, I destroyed it further, I'm just going to kind of smile because I know I have all the unions behind me, and I'm gonna, you know, call you all these names. And then but she didn't even she didn't make an attempt to talk about the fire or water problem anything, and they don't. That's kind of a contempt they have for the voter. Now, it's like, we own the system, We own the legislative, judicial, and executive branches. We have to bu rockers, and we can do whatever we want if we want to pay somebody in seven hundred thousand to hard to run water in power in La into the reservoirs. We can. If we want the Wuty Amendment mayor to phone in a bomb fleet and be a sellon, we can. We want the mayor to go to Canada, Ghana, or wherever she went, we can. It's kind of an arrogance of power they have.
Speaker 1: In the old days in California. And I asked this question to Joel Pollock yesterday. We had elites that would not let us go off the rails. The railroad industry Southern Pacific, the oil industry, the Chandwer family, you could talk about the Boswells and some of the growers in the Central Valley. They would pull the plug on these people. If a mayor of Los Angeles turned in the performance of Karen Bass, or a governor turned in the performance of Avenues, they would say, Okay, that's all from you. And they did that. They did that to Upton Sinclair when he ran for governor under the Epic program, the End Poverty in California program, and he wanted the state government to own the means of production. And these those entities, along with Louis B. Mayer and William Randolph Hurst and others said no, we're not going to do that. Why is it that the elites just roll over to these buffoones instead of pulling the plug like they should.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the nature of the elite and the big money is much different. You're talking about people that did real things. I'm not not making some people who were billionaires. To David mean a agribusiness baron, or an oil baron, or a real estate baron. That was something concrete. It was a pragmatic thing, and they were pragmatic people. But I don't think anybody realizes when you're in Silicon Valley, I mean Apples, it's got a market capitalization of a billion dollars, and when you add in Google, and you add in all of those companies, and the only thing that would gives me some hope is that the left is so crazy that they're turning on Mark Andresen and then Whowitz and Larry Ellison and Mark Zuckerberg. They are turning on them and a lot of them. They're not going to be conservative, but they're not going to give them as much money as they used to. And you know, but when you have somebody like Lisa Jobs, that's worth ten billion. She can run the Atlantic at a huge loss and print all that invective against people. She can give all this money to all these foundations and causes. And so the nature of money is much different in two ways. It's not the pragmatic mind that goes into it. It's a guy that's just very young and he's very insulated. He's got a particular skill set, he's got a global audience, and that's a big difference. They're younger, and they're just completely different than the old wealth. These guys were really different. And I can tell you here in the San Joaquin Valley, when you saw an agrid business billionaire, I knew a lot of them. They had cowboy boots on and Levi's and a cowboy hat, and you wouldn't be able to make a distinction between them. And they're higher than money, even though they lived pretty well and they were wealthy, but they were pragmatic people. But when I'm at Stamford University and when I see these people come on campus, so I have to speak and I see these, you know, a guy with flipflops and long hair and he's stalling off about Trump, and somebody whispers to me, Well, he just got a paradigm that's better than tapal. He just sold out for three billion dollars. It's just staggering amount of wealth it's in. And that's what it probably mirrors. When San Francisco sneezes. LA gets the flu, we get the food. All these ideas, all these ideas that are toxic are invented in that nexus between San Francisco government, Silicon Valley, Stanford, UC Berkeley twin left wing that trains these people. And that's that. You know. LA used to be a conservative place, and the left used to say, well, we can't compete with them because they're so wealthy and powerful, and LA runs everything which we could run of it. Well, now they're much more powerful than Los Angeles. They have a lot of we're going to have.
Speaker 1: We're going to have to leave it there. Victor Davis Hansen from the Hoover Institution up at Stanford University, author of the forthcoming book The counter Revolution, The Fall and Rise of Donald Trump and the MAGA Movement, which is available for pre order online at Amazon dot com. You can follow him on x at vd Hanson. Victor Davis Hanson, thank you so much for stopping by.
Speaker 3: Thanks, thank your hap for having me.
Speaker 1: Eight hundred two two two five two two two is a telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny don't like show at gmail dot com. And my picks for the upcoming election are now up. I just confirmed it right now on the KSFO website. It's right there at KSFO dot com, KABC dot com. If you're curious as to how I'm filling out my ballot, my ballot is on the website right now. That's not to say that you should vote the same way I do. Do your own research, figure out what works for you, and vote that way. But a number of you email me and want to know just exactly how I'm voting, So find we put it up on the website, so it's there for your enjoyment.
Speaker 2: Wait a second, Johnny, you didn't vote for Pamela Price.
Speaker 1: Hard to believe, isn't it.
Speaker 2: You think people should support Ursula Jones Dixon over this crazy lady.
Speaker 1: If you want to find out why I came down that way, Randy, you can check out the podcast where we talk about Pamela Price. Oh, we have talked a lot about Pammy Price in the past. So if you want to find out why exactly John doesn't want to go another round with the recalled Alameda County DA Pamela Price. Search for the John Phillips Show.
Speaker 2: Wherever you get your podcast, whether it's the Apple podcast app, iHeart, Spotify, search for the John Phillips Show, hit subscribe. You can download all the episodes. You can do a Google on the YouTube, get the KABC app, the KSFO.
Speaker 1: App, the KMJ now app.
Speaker 2: We're on the big KMJ set days at two and Saturdays at noon in the Central Valley. Excuse me, so many different ways to listen live to what we're doing here every single day from noon to three.
Speaker 1: Make sure you subscribe.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of interesting, exciting stuff we're going to talk about later on in the year, so you want to be subscribed, and you can download all the podcasts, including all the ones where we talk about the airing of the grievances from one pam E.
Speaker 1: Price, Jeph for Brown and find out well we're experiencing more problems with the nine to one one system here in California with those details. Here's mister Randy Waning.
Speaker 2: This time it's San Diego County that is seeing a shortage of nine one one operators that is leading to longer and longer nine one one wait times. For more, here's NBC seven in San Diego.
Speaker 1: For me, I need to transfers to the paramedics.
Speaker 4: So, based on national standards, the San Diego County Sheriff's Office is not answering nine to one one calls fast enough and is an ongoing shortage of emergency dispatchers.
Speaker 2: This is becoming a statewide problem. And part of the issue here is these standards are very very high obviously for these jobs, and they're very very very very stressful, so people quit and it takes over a year to train somebody.
Speaker 4: We have an update right now for you to an NBC seven investigation that found that some callers are waiting minutes for an answer, with many of them just hanging up.
Speaker 5: An investigative producer.
Speaker 1: What is this Oakland, Well Shang was right on top of that.
Speaker 4: An investigative producer, Mike Dorfman reports the county has essentially given up trying to fill more than a dozen empty positions.
Speaker 5: You know, you'd think that would be the last thing they do at a time when performance is below national standards. Even though the county admits that more dispatcher bodies equals a faster response, when every second counts, beeping.
Speaker 1: Noise you hear.
Speaker 5: Is bad news, and investigator bad news at the San Diego County Sheriff's Office. It means at least one nine one one caller is being forced to wait potentially for life saving help.
Speaker 1: Most Oh, boy, nine on one, please hold well and keep in mind it's not just crime victims who called nine one one. You could be having a stroke, You could be having a heart attack, you could be having a medical event where getting you to an emergency room is critical to making sure that you survive or making sure that you have a good quality of life if and when you survive. I remember a story when we were covering the nine to one one failures in Oakland. Somebody was having a medical episode. Nine one one had put them on hold. They knew an ambulance was not going to come, so they called an uber and had the uber take them to Kaiser. Oh God.
Speaker 6: Most of the time the people are calling the Sheriff's department on their worst days.
Speaker 5: Amuels knows a thing or two about emergencies. She's worked in this building for twenty years, first as a dispatcher.
Speaker 6: It is not an easy job, but it is a very rewarding.
Speaker 5: Job, and now as one of its five communications coordinators. She also understands that there's a lot of room for improvement.
Speaker 6: It is not where we want to be. We don't want people to wait any amount of time on nine one one.
Speaker 5: The National Emergency Number Association says dispatch centers should be answering ninety percent of nine one one calls within fifteen seconds. NBC seven investigates analyzed county data and found the Sheriff's office is missing the mark on that standard. In our first story.
Speaker 2: In Oakland, it was missing the mark by like fifty percent, and then Shan got it up like a couple of percentage points, so what from an F minus to an F.
Speaker 1: And then she was crediting herself for making it not quite as bad as it was before.
Speaker 5: In our first story, we found that only seventy six point one percent of calls were picked up in fifteen seconds or less. That was during twenty twenty four. Now compare that to new data from last year, almost no improvement seventy six point five percent.
Speaker 6: Staffing is a huge part of it. If you need people to answer the phones and to dispatch the.
Speaker 5: Calls, Hiring and retaining dispatchers is a challenge for the entire industry, and the Sheriff's Office is no exception since at least.
Speaker 2: Twenty nine I mean, it takes a very specific kind of person that even wants to do that job. It doesn't pay as much as some other positions that are as stressful, and the standards obviously are so high that a lot of people don't even pass the test.
Speaker 1: No, and you know what good for them they should be. They should have high requirements to be a nine to one to one operator. You don't want to put some buffoone in that position and have them screw everything up.
Speaker 5: Since at least twenty nineteen, about two dozen or more of its dispatcher positions have been vacant out of about one hundred and twenty five total.
Speaker 6: Kids don't grow up and think I want to be a public safety dispatcher, So we have to work hard to even introduce this career as a possibility to people.
Speaker 5: But now it's giving up on them.
Speaker 2: You know, as tough as this job market is, think about that. There are twenty five open positions for nine to one to one dispatchers in San Diego County and no one's applying.
Speaker 1: Oh no, but that's the case across the board. For positions that require highly specialized training, most organizations have a difficult time filling those positions. There's a lot of people out there who have very few skills who are looking for work. It's a problem if you're looking for one of those jobs. But if you want to be a nine to one to one operator and you have the proper training, my guess is you can pick your department. Or are we lucky we signed that contract?
Speaker 2: We have no skills, but now it's giving up on the hope of filling thirteen of those empty slides.
Speaker 5: Instead, those positions were reclassified, a few turned into management jobs, while the rest left the division entirely bolstering the crime lab and.
Speaker 2: ETO to deal with the budget deficits. They took all those vacant positions and they move the money to other places and just said screw it.
Speaker 5: Great bolstering the crime lab and even human resources. Is that the right move to be doing at a time when you're not hitting standards.
Speaker 6: The unfortunate part is our positions are hard to recruit positions. That's kind of how they're defined. So when positions sit vacant for a periods of time and we cannot fill them, typically they get reallocated elsewhere.
Speaker 2: And the fewer dispatchers is like that house that's been on sale for a year. At some point you know no one's buying. Take it off the market, and the.
Speaker 5: Fewer dispatchers left to do the job. Also often have to deal with the fact that emergencies in public places means they'll be inundated with calls like this deadly crash last month in San Marco's callers flooded the com center to report it. Samuels pointed to alternative ways to carry the load.
Speaker 6: Maybe you can solve this problem without people, right.
Speaker 1: Uh, oh AI is going to do that job too, not a good idea.
Speaker 6: So one of those is going to be our hyper AI that is answering our new non emergency.
Speaker 5: Number, that system allowing dispatch.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, if you've ever dealt with a customer service number where they now have an AI agent and you're trying to just get them to transfer you to a human being.
Speaker 1: It is real tough. There are two types of phone calls that I make where I know I'm wasting my time. If I call and I'm talking to a and you have to press one for English, and then you have to try to find the correct apartment and you have to go through the phone tree before you finally get to a live human being, you are going to waste an insane amount of time to not get to the right person. The other issue is if you get a foreign call center. Those people are not properly trained and they can never fix a problem, and if you have some minor issue that needs to be resolved, you will spend an hour on the phone to not have it resolved. And it's funny because sometimes I'll call them out. I'll say you're at a foreign call center, aren't you, And then they'll get real defensive and I'll say, I need to talk to someone in the United States, and then they'll start lecturing you about how they're equipped to do everything that the people in the United States are equipped to do. And there's no point in sending you to the United States because they're the one that answered the phone. But the reality is is based on my experience, the foreign call centers are totally worthless, totally worthless. And what's nuts is instead of phasing them out, they're so much cheaper to operate. My local dermatologist here in California has a foreign call center that answers the phones. It's not the people in California that are sitting behind the front desk that answer the phones. It's a foreign call center in some other continent.
Speaker 5: That system allowing dispatchers to focus more in emergencies. That could be the reason why there's been some gains in the first four months of this year. Data shows the comp center answered nearly eighty percent of nine one one calls within fifteen seconds or less, an improvement but still under the ninety percent goal.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: That's the latest on the staffing shortage of nine to one to one dispatchers this time.
Speaker 1: I'm in San Diego County. Eight hundred two two two five two two two is the telephone number one. Eight hundred two two two five two two two. My ballot is now live at KSFO dot com, KABC dot com. It's out on the social media accounts KABC on Twitter, KSFO on Twitter I just retweeted it. So if you want to find out how I'm voting in the primary election, that ballot is now live and on the internet. Let's go to John and Ventura. John, Hello, doing so good.
Speaker 7: A lot of people don't understand with the nine one I'm a retired law enforcement with the dispatchers, and the nine one one dispatcher actually am all the other calls. Well in front of them, there's a button that's read that says nine to one one. You could have the homeless person calling in to complain or a fight, So they have to get off that line to get on the nine one one line. So a lot of these agencies that are so busy are now pulling officers off the street, and they've given them six month assignments and they'll have to answer those phones and then then put the call in and send it to the actual dispatcher. Really, these dispatchers speech every two or three hours from pones to the console, and it just becomes a lot harder. They pull the officer off the street, retaining overtime behind the officer now that was on the street when they go in for six months. So they can at least train them to where they can answer those calls and get them to the dispatcher that puts them out to the officers in the street. So this is affecting me. I know you guys said it earlier, but it's affecting people all over the state. It's not just San Diego. There's certain areas. This is happening everywhere in the little cities as well. It's hard to come by these dispatchers. They're so valuable to the officers in the street. So I just wanted to let you guys know that's kind of how it worked.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much for the call. We appreciate that. It seems like an unbelievable waste of resources. Cops become cops because they want to be out on the streets, they want to fight crime, they want to do all the things that cops do. And if they have to be nine to one to one dispatchers too, that means there's fewer people in the black and whites. All right, it's time to open up the California crime bladder. And surprise, surprise, this one takes us back to the San Fernando Valley. There have been way too many stories about way too many crazy people near where I live. I'm going to need all of you to support our advertisers so I can afford to move out of the valley. In the meantime, here's a psycho who was shooting a flare gun at the hillsides in Woodland Hills. Here's CBSLA.
Speaker 8: Neighbors and Woodland Hills say they're living in fear after a man accused of shooting flares and screaming through the night turn their quiet street into a nightly nuisance.
Speaker 1: They say they're desperate for help and afraid for their safety. Slas see this is what happens.
Speaker 2: You see the news and you see what happened with naked crazy man in you recta, and you think, wait, we got a crazy man here in Woodland Hills. We need the news too. We're going to see so many reports about so many crazy people that live in the San Fernando Valley.
Speaker 1: Well, we have a nut who's actively trying to start a fire and there's just nothing you can do.
Speaker 8: See thesla's Lauren Posen spoke with residents tonight who are hoping something gets done before someone gets hurt.
Speaker 9: When the sun sets, the trouble starts. Neighbors say, the chaos from this house is jumping over Ventura Boulevard and straight onto their doorsteps. I've been getting videos of him all night long, the sound of burning brush just steps from homes in Woodland Hills.
Speaker 1: In the dead of the night.
Speaker 10: He started screaming and getting angry, and he started shooting off flares towards towards our building.
Speaker 2: Why do you get a flare gun? Nowadays a boat right my unit.
Speaker 9: People living into Pound homes above Ventura Boulevard say, the man living across the street started it with a flare gun. They asked us not to record their faces. They're terrified of him.
Speaker 10: I was afraid that he would catch our roof on fire, the trees on fire, or everything on fire. We were actually all of us in this are complex. We're afraid to leave.
Speaker 1: They say.
Speaker 9: Since March, he's been a erratic.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, imagine living next to a crazy, drugged out, schizophrenic Gilligan.
Speaker 11: He'll come out like around one in the morning, screaming obscenities, racial slurs, like every race possible, and he'll stay up to about four all of them.
Speaker 1: It sounds like he checks all the boxes.
Speaker 11: And he'll stay up to about four am in the morning, we went.
Speaker 9: To the house, which sits squeeze between businesses on the boulevard. We rang the bell on the gate, no one answered.
Speaker 11: He definitely needs help. I feel bad for the parents because.
Speaker 2: I'm tired of saying he needs help. Yeah, I don't care. He needs to be in a nuthouse. How about that.
Speaker 11: I feel bad for the parents because they want to get him help.
Speaker 9: We also called the man's parents, I'm sorry, this person is not available, but it went straight to voicemail.
Speaker 1: Because of course.
Speaker 9: The neighborhood sits in District three, represented by council Member Bob Lumenfeld. His office tells us LAPD's Major Crimes Division is investigating and discussing next steps with the DA, but until something is done.
Speaker 10: Four nights out of seven that he's interrupting our.
Speaker 9: Sleep and residents are left to deal with this.
Speaker 10: Every night. We're like, we text back and forth on my neighbors. Did you hear anything tonight? He's quiet? Right? What's he going to do next? Is he going to shoot off a flair? And what if someone's not here to call the fire department?
Speaker 2: Boy, when he actually does get carried away to the nut house, what are they going to talk about.
Speaker 1: My guess is he won't be in the nuthouse long.
Speaker 9: These residents really want this man to get some help, but they worry as each day passes and nothing is done, that their safety is being compromised. We did reach out to LAPD for an update on the investigation, but so far we haven't heard back yet. Reporting in Wooden Hills, Lauren Posen, CBSLA.
Speaker 1: There you go, another nut All right, that's going to do it for us. Have a great weekend everyone. Randy will be hosting the show next week. I'm on vacation and then we'll be back and go over the ballot and give you all the latest on the upcoming election.