Speaker 1: John Miller, F P. Santangelo back here at Oracle Park. What an excellent ceremony before the game as five giants greats, Brandon Bell, Brandon Crawford, Joe Panic, Pablo Sonoval, an entire infield's worth, a lot of World Series rings in that group and the catcher, Buster Posey, and they were all celebrated before the game, and it was a lot of great memories and some laughs and maybe even a tier or two because those were great guys, great teams and some of the best ever seen as a group, as a team with three World Series championships in a five year period.
Speaker 2: I thought it was great for Buster Posey to hear the fans cheering for him again today and to be around his old teammates. You know, it's been tough sledding around here lately, and you know he's wearing it based on the season they're having, So it was kind of, I think good for him to be out up there and remember how much he's loved in the city and how many great things he's done for.
Speaker 3: This franchise and to be back with his old teammates. That was pretty cool, indeed.
Speaker 1: So that was before the game, and then the game itself.
Speaker 4: It was sort of the.
Speaker 1: Maybe there were some days like that in twenty ten, because I remember that was the year it seemed like the Padres all of a sudden they blossom does an outstanding team. They were in first place most of the year. At one point, the Giants were way behind him in the standings that year, and the Giants, even when they would win games, struggled to do it. They were forever getting the bases loaded and not scoring or maybe scoring a run on a wild pitch and then still winning the game. And it was always frustrating and Dwink hyper Finally with a win that they had that where they felt like they should have scored twelve runs and got three runs and one three to two, Kuiper said, I've got a new marketing slogan for the Giants, Giants Baseball, It's torture.
Speaker 4: So there were some.
Speaker 1: Bad games along the way and a lot of frustrations, and yet they won. And I think it was pointed out more than once today and maybe Buster when he talked about it, because I think Mike Kruco did ask him about winning that championship in twenty ten, which was his first year he was he had gotten his baptism in the big leagues the year before, but just briefly that he came up in May of that year, and he was a big reason that they were able to make it all the way and win the Pennant and then win the World Series. But and he was the first to bring up well, and we had, you know, Matt Caine and Tim Linskin and Madison Bumgarner, and so we had a lot of guys who knew what it took and they were always in a game with those guys on the mound.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the one thing that Buster said today that resonated with me is they were fearless and that you can't play this game scared.
Speaker 3: And no truer words were ever spoken.
Speaker 2: Because if you play this game scared at this level against the greatest players in the world on a nightly basis, you're not going to succeed.
Speaker 3: It's going to eat you up.
Speaker 2: And the successful teams, the guys that stay here for a long time, the guys that have great careers, they're all fearless.
Speaker 1: So for the giants of twenty twenty six, and we saw a lot of them. You pointed out while we were watching the ceremonies, all these young guys, and then there are eight guys who made their major league debuts this year, and which also I couldn't help but think about that, because that group that won those World Series twenty twelve, twenty fourteen, if you go back two three years before that, when Matt Kane came up one year, Tim Linskin came up another year, and Pablo Sondoval came up, and the Giants had one year in there, well, they had what sixteen seventeen players made their major league debuts in the same year where they really sort of retooled and they rebuilt, and it was the genesis of those three World Series championships in the five years.
Speaker 3: They built their winning culture.
Speaker 2: And I think it was big for all the Giants players, even though it didn't translate in today's game, it was big for all the Giants players.
Speaker 3: They were all on the top step.
Speaker 2: Tony Voitelo was on the top step to realize what it means to be a San Francisco Giant, to learn the history of this organization, how great it's been. So like I said, it didn't translate today, but hopefully some of that resonated with those guys.
Speaker 3: And they know what it means to wear the orange and black.
Speaker 1: And there were games where the team did not do well, didn't play well even in twenty ten during that stretch, but more often than not they would rebound from that and play an excellent game the next day. So and now that you've got Logan Web on the mound tomorrow, so let's see if they can bring that little blast from the pass back and play a great one tomorrow and get some great pitching from Web. And if they do, if they can win it, they'll take this series from one of the hottest teams in the land right now. The Detroit Tigers are playing really well with outstanding young talent, and they may have the foundation here for being a contender and being a top team for many years to come with this group that they brought in here to Oracle Park.
Speaker 3: Logan Web complete game, shutout tomorrow. I'm calling it right.
Speaker 1: Now, Okay, put in a call, all right, So today, not so much to talk about eight to nothing, and we'll come back and pick some players after this.
Speaker 4: Do we have to say anything besides that? To DC back after this?
Speaker 1: John Miller at Pace and TAngelo back here at Oracle Park after a miserable game today, but the great pregame ceremonies will say that. And this is the segment now where we choose our players of the game. So FP, I'm giving you this golden opportunity to go for oh.
Speaker 2: I got the first pick today. All right, there's only two of them, so thank you. I'm gonna go Williadomas. He got one of the giants two hits. But we talked about it during the broadcast. He's changed his approach. He's working on things he wants to be better. The last couple of months of the season, he's doing the toe tap downs of the leg, kick the line, drive to the left field, and he made the old Marvus SkELL catch over his shoulder going into the left field, one of the better plays we've ever seen Willia Domas make. And he's made some really good plays. So that was a good play, a big play in the game. And I'll go with Willie today. There's not a lot left for you, but I'm gonna go with Willie.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: Now, that was a great play. There was a runner aboard and Jabier Bayez was on dak So and really it didn't look catchable. And how many times do you see a guy do what he did and then they lunge for the ball with their back to the infield and they can't get it or tips off the edge.
Speaker 4: Of their glove. But he somehow caught it and held it. Wow.
Speaker 1: Spectacular, So so many great things happened in those first five any but then all the walks. Tigers went ahead without ever getting a hit in the sixth inning on four walks, including the basis load to walk by Spencer Torkelsen, the Petaluma native.
Speaker 4: So I'm going with the local guys.
Speaker 1: Spencer Torklesen, Tiger's second leaning home run hitter who waited it out, got the walk, got the RBI, and that proved to be the game winning RBI of the game.
Speaker 3: Good fick.
Speaker 2: I'm going to pick for a Kipe and Kruk and say Belt, Crawford, Panic, Posey and Pablo.
Speaker 3: They're taking them all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we took them all many many times, for all those many years. So a good call for old times sake. Thanks for the memories, guys. All right, So what's on deck? And that's tomorrow sponsored by your California Ford Dealers. What's on deck? It's the Rubber Match of this three game series and Logan Webb, who's been pitching really well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, flush it, get them tomorrow, win a series. Let's go.
Speaker 4: That'll be tomorrow, the one to five start.
Speaker 1: That's what's on deck, sponsored by your California Ford Dealers and the legendary Ford F one fifty truck. Visit by Ford now dot com today to find yours eight to nothing.
Speaker 4: Tiger's over.
Speaker 1: The Giants will come back with some highlights or highlight. This won't take long, and let me just give you a little clue. Probably the major highlight had nothing to do with the game that was played here today, but rather a ceremony before the game, So just stay tuned for that. Highlights are next.