Speaker 1: Something's not right here. Crime is up all.
Speaker 2: Over the state, the homelessness and the city is out of control.
Speaker 3: The economy is sick, axes are high.
Speaker 4: Housing as expensive, and businesses are leaving.
Speaker 5: Leaving California means fixing, and John Phillips is just the man to lead the charge. It's the Fix California Hour with John Phillips and Randy Wag.
Speaker 6: And we continue at one oh five in the afternoon on the John and Phillips Show, Mister Randy Wings and Culver City.
Speaker 7: John We're broadcasting live on the radio seven ninety KABC and a ten KSFO. But even more fun than that, if you're not driving, you should watch us because now we're doing this on video every single day at Johnny don't like dot Com. That is Johnny don't like dot Com. Watch us in our little studios, watch the videos that we play along with, hang out in the chat room. You'll make some new friends for life. And if you watch us today, hey, you can see the new Katie Porter bubblehead doll that one of our listeners.
Speaker 2: Gave us Winter Winter Chicking Dinner.
Speaker 7: Katie Porter, do you think we're gonna do a segment on Boyle heights later. Make sure you hit that like button subscribe, hit the bell so you'll notified every single time we go live and after we get off the air at three, there is tons of on demand content right there for you. Watch it all, comment on all of it at Johnny Don't Like dot Com.
Speaker 6: Eight hundred two two two five two two two is the telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. It is our pleasure to welcome our next guest to the program. He is the publisher of Soowdoesitmatter? Dot com, which covers California government and politics. You can get him online at Sowdoesitmatter dot com. John Fleischman, welcome.
Speaker 3: Hey, thank you for having me on the show. Who who knew you had a face for Rideo.
Speaker 6: Hey, I'm just happy you're wearing a hat that's not a Dodger hat, because you know, us angel fans don't have a lot to hang on to This year.
Speaker 3: It was tough. I went to Chavez Ravine last night to watch the final game and the sweep. Boston's on a tear and they just tore right through the Dodgers. It actually reminds me of the previous season where the Dodgers went on to win the World Series, but lost all six games against the Angels.
Speaker 1: I was there for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you can never tell what's going on, So we'll see what happens.
Speaker 6: There was a guy who was giving me a hard time for wearing an Angel's hat at Dodger Stadium, and I said, listen, dude, when October rolls around, you're going to be watching baseball and I'm gonna be watching reruns of Judge Judy.
Speaker 1: Give me something that's perfect, all right.
Speaker 6: So let's get to the top story here in the state of California, which is the California Governor. Gavin Newsom made his taxes available to select reporters for a select amount of time, with very specific rules that they had to abide by if they were allowed to look at his taxes. He is now patting himself on the back and doing a victory lap for allowing this to take place. I look at it, and I say, okay, there's no law that requires him to release his taxes as California governor.
Speaker 1: He can keep them private if he wants to.
Speaker 6: He's doing this for political reasons because he knows as a candidate for president it's not a good look for a Democratic candidate, in particular after they went after Donald Trump for as long as they did about not releasing his tax returns to keep their own tax returns secret. But when you add all of these rules into the mix, I don't think he's going to get the bounce out of this that he thinks he is.
Speaker 1: Your thoughts, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I think? It's what here's what I think. I think that Gavin Newsom staked out this territory because everything's about running for president, right, So he staked out this territory that he was going to be the anti Trump guy, and that got him a big boost for like, you know, six eight months where he was the troll to Trump. Now Trump is kind of his own troll, right. Trump's brought his numbers down. More people are attacking Trump from both sides of the aisle, so it's he's not like the only anti Trump guy in the room. So in the meantime, people are now looking at him and saying, well, what is there beyond the fact that he wants to take on Donald Trump? And you know a lot. I mean, the FED are investigating him now, the DJ's investigating and so we had had to deal with that, then move along to Oh, I'm going to It turns out he whitewashed his affair with you know Rippy that he had, and I'm sure you've talked plenty about that on your show, because nobody gets more into salatious detail them. But the broader point is that he opened that up by publishing his memoir and by you know, understating what happened to the point where she was compelled by either a suddenly need to tell the truth combined with who knows what kind of a check from from from Vanity Fair and boom. Now that opens up a keg of worms. And now chapter three he who releases their taxes but doesn't release their taxes And the answer is somebody with something to hide, because you don't go through that kind of an exercise. What you do is you say, hey, you know what, go TOGAVINEUSOM dot com. Anybody who wants to. I don't care if you're in the media, I don't care. If you're a constituent, you can go there. My tax return is there for anybody to see, which, by the way, that is the state of affairs for the tax return of Steve Hilton. That is even the State of Affairs for the tax returns of Bessarah. Now they had a law they had to follow, but it doesn't change the fact that where you know, when you do what you just described, come on into this secret room. No no, no, not you, and come on in here and we're going to open it up. And you've got a number two pencil. I need that. And you have a smart smartphone. No no, no, no, no, no no no, there's no smartphones anywhere near my tact So my broader point, and I think it was your point, is that this is just one more narrative that Gavin Newsom, who has been used to being a combination of softballed by the California Press Corps plus the California Press Court, just isn't what it was in terms of its size and depth or anything like that. You end up with a situation where he's now running for president and it's the big leagues, and I think he's now demonstrating week over week over week that he's not ready to play at that level. And I don't think he's prepared for the critique he's going to get. And this is just amateur hour. So that's my ten cents on video on the show.
Speaker 6: Well, and you look at his situation, and he's going to turn into a pumpkin at the end of the year because he turns out as governor and he's not going to be a somebody. He's going to be a former somebody. And you look at Cable News, which is littered with former somebodies. Every former senator, every former governor, every former congressman has a contributorship to one of the channels on cable.
Speaker 1: And he's going to find it, I think, very.
Speaker 6: Difficult to be able to make news and make noise the way he was able to do so as governor of California. And I almost see abudding John Cox on the horizon where I could totally picture Gavin riding a bear around county fairs in Iowa.
Speaker 3: Well, it's even going to be worse for him because you can see the news now, I mean, CNN comes on and says, and now for some counterpoint to what's going on with the Trump administration, we turn to our voice in California and it's not Gavin Newsom. It's Congressman Garcia of Long Beach, the new chairman of the House Oversight Committee, and he will become the new California talking head when it comes and because that, if you know, Democrats are likely to take the House, and if they do, you could be sure that how you know, think think back with those of you who've been on this program and have been around a bit a bit when Barack Obama was president, dere Elisa kind of changed that House Oversight Committee role into really pitbull, a tack dog. And Garcia, I'll give credit where credit is due. That guy's a pit bull and that guy's be an attack dog. And he will have a committee, he will have subpoena power. It's going to be happening all of the time. And the context here is that no one's going to care about Gavin Newsom, not even as the guy from California. And by the way, whatever oxygen in the room Garcia isn't is not taking up. He's got to, you know, Newsom's got to share it with with Harris, who is going to be out there prognosticating about you know, her bid, which is a whole other topic of discussion.
Speaker 6: Well, and don't forget about Rocanna, who is the darling of the DSA who might run for president too, right.
Speaker 3: And so I think that, you know, I think that Gavin Newsom is going to wake up and start to realize that his biggest challenge to becoming the next president of the United States is looking back at him in the mirror. I think he's just not ready for prime time. And he's you know, he he's been advantaged by being the you know, kind of pretty boy from California. He waltzed into the lieutenant governorship by being mentored by the Pelosi Organization and all, you know, again when we get into the networks of who's supporting who, I'm talking to the expert, but you know, he and then as lieutenant governor, he just turns around as the quote unquote he was still in that weird phase where he was calling himself the pro business Democrat before he made the complete one eighty and so he started raising money everywhere. He couldn't even walked into being governor. The guys really had no real challenge. Well, you don't walk into the White House, and you don't walk into the nomination for the Democrat Party for the White House. It's hard thought and it's real and he is not remotely up for this challenge, not even remotely. AOC is better prepared than he is.
Speaker 6: Let's talk about Boyle Heights for a second, because we have a public health disaster, we have an environmental disaster that's going on right now in an area that is very densely populated, just outside of downtown Los Angeles. Steve Hilton, when he ran for governor, announced that he was running for governor, had the press conference outside of Ground zero at Boyle Heights with Glory Romero, the candidate for lieutenant governor, right beside him. So far, Gavin Newsom has not shown up so far. Javier Bessera, who represented that area in both the California Assembly and the House of Representatives, has not shown up to my knowledge. They certainly don't want any pictures of themselves in a situation like that that'll be used against them at some point in the future. But you had a public health director who went on TV and a mayor of Los Angeles and told the population that it was perfectly safe to breathe in the smoke of this chemical fire that burned for a week. Now you have people with fluid in their lungs who are going to these public health clinics and being told to take aspirin and go home, or tile it all and go home. Apparently they're bleeding from the nose, they have rashes all over their body. This seems like a ticking time bomb to me, and the attitude of the powers that be in this one party state, which include Gavin Newsom and Javier Bisera, are taking the position if you just ignore it, it's not that big a deal. Your thoughts on how they're handling that, well.
Speaker 3: I guess I would say a couple of things. One you certainly left out as we as we do this kind of walking dead walk through, you've left out now this stinky roddy food phase where everything just the stench is overwhelming and you literally can't make it up. They're handling it poorly, but they're handling it poorly for a reason, which is that when you have single party rule for so long in so many places, they've moved away from actual any need to perform anything substantively. It's all performative because you know, basically, as long as the unions keep electing them and they give the unions raises, there's nobody sorting for competence anymore. And they're quickly moving all of the money away from like in the city of Los Angeles. The Los Angeles the resources that you would want to bring to bear to deal with a crisis like this aren't available for because it's all being resourced to giving raises to the SEIU, to providing funding for illegal immigrants, and money for NGOs that are, you know, the passion projects of the left, and so you don't have the money that's in place, the resources in place to really deal with practical problems, whether it's a fire in the Palisades or whether it's this stinky, horrible disaster in the center of Los Angeles. And then what happens is they elect leaders like Karen Bass who are dumb dabbed down to that level. Karen Bass wouldn't know what to do with the resources if she had the resources, which is kind of the whole point. She's willing to trade all of the money away for her reelection to all these political groups because she wouldn't use resources anyway. She was never qualified to be the mayor. She's not qualified to be the mayor now, and you know, there you go. So I feel bad for all of the people in this very awkward situation. These are people in very real pain. These are people that have had a very real trauma take place, and frankly, right now, there ought to be an awful lot of deployment going on there sorting out the situation, and there should be not a single person who's a victim of this tragedy who is not saying I don't know. They may be saying I don't know how it's going to go, but you know what, I'm noticed, I'm part of a process. There's a system, I'm being taken care of. There's been an intake process, and in the meantime, we can all see. You know, when was the do you recall John seeing Karen Bass in front of a camera with her responders behind her with a timeline saying, this is what happens in week one, week two, week three. Now we're bringing our triage director to come forward. Here's the number of cases we've identified, Here's what we brought in. Here's what's being treated. Oh, by the way, here's our experts to talk about why this has affected them this way. None of what you'd expect anywhere else but here in California.
Speaker 6: Nothing, which is sad because for people who haven't been here a long time. I try to explain to them how when the Northridge quake hit, the rebuilding process worked like a Swiss clock, where, for example, the freeway got knocked down and we were told that the freeway would be back up and running the ten Freeway in a certain amount of time.
Speaker 1: They beat the timeline.
Speaker 6: Because you had competent people in charge at the time, where you had all the shot callers.
Speaker 1: Don Knabi came on.
Speaker 6: This program and told the story as to how that worked, where you had Pete Wilson, the Governor, Dick Reared, the Mayor, Don Knabi, who I think was in charge of the Board of Supervisors at the time, the Secretary of Transportation flight to Los Angeles. They all sat in the room person in charge of caltrans, and it was what are.
Speaker 1: You doing today? What are you doing today? What are you doing today?
Speaker 6: And it wasn't like, oh, I need to talk to the boss, because the boss was in the room, and there was this open line of communication and the expectation that no one would drop the ball. And because all the shot callers were there, they held each other accountable to borrow a word and it worked. But we don't have that anymore here, God forbid, if we get hit by the big one. With these people in charge, we'll go back to the Stone Age.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent. Hey, John, am I allowed to break news on your show.
Speaker 1: You can break news.
Speaker 3: It's even stuff we were going to kind of talk about anyway. But I just found out through four different sources that the Assembly Republican Caucus has dumped their leader, he Flora, and the new leader is assembly Woman Ali Mercedo, who hails from out of the Central Valley. And that literally, I mean, I mean, you talk about breaking news on the John Phillip Show. I don't even think they this is like announcing what the cardinal the College of Cardinals does before the smoke blows, because I don't even think they'd come out of the room to make the announcement yet. And the best part is somebody in a room but going who tipped off Weischman, not knowing that half the room probably did. Right. So it's but it's it's but if we're going to there's plenty to talk about about why Flora was a problem. Uh And and actually I think that may have been on our conversational list anyway, but apparently it all bubbled over and well actually came down apparently he'll be able to cheat on his wife and drink at will, at nausea, without any without any without any any fear of reprofession.
Speaker 6: Right, all right, we're running out of time, So let me ask you this one question, because a lot of people in the audience probably don't know who Heath Flora is. It seems like in a one party state, the party that is out of power just kind of accepts the fact frequently that life is just set up in a way to where they're always going to be the losers and the other side are always going to be the winners. And we have these leaders that constantly capitulate to the majority and almost acts as if they work for them. We had that with Christian Olsen, had from Marie Waldron.
Speaker 3: This will be the biggest distinction. Flora was part of the surrender caucus.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 3: He wouldn't even get like when the when the governor would give speeches, James Gallagher, the former leader, would give the opposition speech. Flora is a creature of Sacramento. Who and by the way, probably the least of James Gallagher's things was to leave us with this guy on his way out the door, who is unimpressive and is a back room dweller. He prefers to not be in the spotlight and he's not a fighter. I will tell you we will be pleasantly surprised. Ali Mascedo understands that the most powerful weapon you have in the super Minority is your voice. So we're going to see a big upte upta uptick on, an aggressive posture from Assembly Republicans taking on the corruption and all the stuff going on. So this will be good. This is going to be a lot more for us to cover on the show because she's going to do a great job and I'm sure you'll have her on soon enough.
Speaker 6: Well, this is great eight news and breaking news courtesy of John Fleischmann. If you want more from John Fleischman, more breaking news like this and excellent excellent analysis, including one of Katie Porter. You explain why Katie Porter is getting out of politics. That was a humdinger. You can get it online at sodes itmatter dot com that so does Itmatter dot com for excellent content on all things California govern government and politics. John Fleischmann, thanks so much for stopping by.
Speaker 3: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 1: All Right, it's the.
Speaker 6: John Phillips show. If you'd like to email the show, you can do so at Johnny Don't Like Show at gmail dot com. That's Johnny Don't Like Show at gmail dot com. And Randy, how are we doing on the likes Over at Johnny Don't Like dot Com?
Speaker 7: We have one hundred and ninety four likes on today's show. All you gotta do is hit that thumbs up button if you're watching us at Johnny don't Like dot Com, whether you're staying for the full three hours or just checking in for a few minutes on your lunch break, it's a lot of fun in here. We get a lively chat room at Johnny don't Like dot Com. You can also hit the subscribe button, which is completely free. It just means that you'll see all the stuff on our channel pop up on your homepage all the time, and hit the bell. You'll be notified whenever we post new content. At Johnny Don't Like dot Com.
Speaker 6: Eight hundred two two two five two two two is telephone number one eight hundred two two two five two two two. And Randy, we have an accountability podcast. It dropped on Wednesday of last week.
Speaker 3: Accountability, Accountability, Accountability.
Speaker 4: We would love for you to check it out. I don't know.
Speaker 7: At three o'clock when we're off the air and you don't have anything else to watch, go to Johnny dontl Like dot Com and right below the live now you'll see all episodes of the Accountability Podcast. We've done five episodes so far. Our latest one covered Kamala Harris and her thinking about running for president. So check it out if you haven't, it's right there at Johnny don't Like dot Com. That's Johnny Don't Like dot Com.
Speaker 6: Eight hundred two two two five two two two is telephone number? What eight hundred two two two five two two two. And right now it's time to open up the California Crime Blater.
Speaker 2: It's happened yet again.
Speaker 5: Oo nice see. Time for the California crime.
Speaker 1: Blodder and Randy.
Speaker 6: The first edition of Today's Blotterer takes us to Vallejo.
Speaker 7: And it's Valleyjo that is full of straight takeovers this last weekend. For more, here is k TVU Fox two.
Speaker 9: In the bay I Valayo neighborhood says it has had enough.
Speaker 10: That's right. Residents ay illegal sideshows have brought dangerous activity, late night noise, property damage, and plenty of crowds. We do have video of a sideshow taking.
Speaker 4: Over an interest dumb asses.
Speaker 10: Section in the city.
Speaker 7: Like if you know, there are a lot of people that try to wonder if like this generation is dumber than the last one.
Speaker 4: We have video proof.
Speaker 6: Well in their defense, if you do that too often, you are gonna have traumatic brain injuries.
Speaker 10: This past weekend here the gathering attracting dozens of people. Ktvus Betty, you live tonight.
Speaker 7: How about the fact that they're shooting fireworks at the cop cars.
Speaker 10: In the city of Leo with more on the story, Betty.
Speaker 11: Mike Cludy. Neighbors say that this latest side show is not an isolated incident. They say they happen nearly every month. Now behind me, you can still see fresh skid marks.
Speaker 7: In the ear every intersection up and down the state of California. You see this so often and it looks like, oh, there must have been a devastating accident there.
Speaker 1: Nope, Nope. They're more donuts there than a Krispy Kreme intersection.
Speaker 11: And residents here say they worry it's only a matter of time before someone gets injured.
Speaker 3: Yah.
Speaker 12: Yeah, there's spreadful people gotta go.
Speaker 5: To work.
Speaker 10: Down.
Speaker 1: That is a woman who's had enough.
Speaker 7: I love her and I love that she came out in her nightgown to scream at these people, not her husband, her, you.
Speaker 2: Know alone, what the sounds of another.
Speaker 7: That was her telling him go deal with that. He's been like, NA, what are we going to do? And then she's like, fine, I'll deal with it.
Speaker 1: Well, she's sick and tired of having bags under her eyes.
Speaker 11: They're a legal sideshow and another sleepless night for neighbors in this Valleto neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Yes, sounds like a war zone.
Speaker 4: It is a war zone.
Speaker 11: You can see if firework explode near her patrol car. As officers tried to break up this latest side show around two am Sunday at Columbus Parkway and Georgia Street.
Speaker 3: How about camera.
Speaker 7: Get I think that's the woman of the nightgown. The PLV shot.
Speaker 6: Wow, she wants to go back to counting sheep, not counting people at a sideshow. Okay, okay, if you've ever wondered what it would look like if residents were to snap after having this go on over and over and over again, there you have it.
Speaker 7: She has had enough. Maybe we need to do something about it. Enforce the laws on the books, and if the laws aren't strong enough, toughen them up. There are counties where you don't see this because they tow every car and don't give any of them back. Tell the cases are adjudicated.
Speaker 4: Let's do that.
Speaker 11: Since including Luquistia, Naps say the takeovers bring chaos to the neighborhood. She says, hundreds of people pour into the area, spilling onto front yards and blocking driveways.
Speaker 12: You're very disrespectful, and I desire you find a different place to have your activities.
Speaker 7: It's very sad that her name is Naps because she never gets to have any Now.
Speaker 1: Is Shaw the woman that was snapping at them at night?
Speaker 4: I believe so.
Speaker 6: So that's what she looks like out of the nightgown. Yes, I feel for this woman now since we found out that Shang sleeps in the nude. If this were to go on in her neighborhood, how do you think that would look?
Speaker 4: That's right, I like that. That is amazing, complete non sequitur. But I'm here for it.
Speaker 12: You're disturbing the peace, You're disturbing the neighborhood.
Speaker 11: My sleep, Lucuisha woke up to find fresh graffiti outside her home. She says people also climbed onto her roof.
Speaker 4: After my god, these are animals.
Speaker 7: We are dealing with actual human animals at this point.
Speaker 1: It's poor woman.
Speaker 11: He recently paid to have it repaired from damage caused during previous side shows.
Speaker 7: You know, when the insurance companies want to charge you through them, one charge you through the roof because of your roof. One of the things they probably don't cover is jackass teens jumping up and down on it during a side show.
Speaker 2: I'm fed up.
Speaker 12: I just wanted to stop, find a different location. There's plenty of empty parking lots that you guys can go and tear up the street. But why there's so many people that live in this community.
Speaker 7: Well that's part of the reason they want to disturb you. They're little monsters and.
Speaker 6: It's too hot for her to spend her Saturday painting of fence.
Speaker 11: One more many Valeo police eventually disperse the crowd, HP assisted and later appeared to pursue at least one vehicle leaving the area.
Speaker 6: One.
Speaker 7: I guess that's better than zero, but still, the response to this is so pathetic, Like the way they make this happen is they have their cars block all the streets so they can do this. Well, maybe you need to block all the streets outside of them and then trap them all in there and then take every single car.
Speaker 11: Neighbors believe the intersection has become a popular spot for sideshows because of its freeway access, making it easier for drivers to scatter when law enforcement arrives.
Speaker 13: We're scared because what if these people come into our houses or something, or what if they're shooting their guns or.
Speaker 4: Sometimes they are.
Speaker 1: You think the realtor told Laquisha about that.
Speaker 7: Neighborhood's a hotbed for street takeovers. I don't think that was disclosed.
Speaker 13: What if a car crashes into someone's house, like we fear that every single time.
Speaker 8: They just destroy things. Yeah, they don't, they don't last that long and the police show up.
Speaker 7: But now, I don't want to overgeneralize, but if your name is White Cotton, were you born at the age of eighty? I just can't imagine a guy in his twenties walking around what's your name, Kay, white Cotton?
Speaker 1: You know, if this.
Speaker 6: Were a play, you were trying to put this on Broadway and you have an eighty year old white male character and you give the fellow the name White Cotton. And then you have a thirty something year old black woman and you name her Laquisha. My guess is you'd be sent back to the edit room.
Speaker 4: Unless the play was called on the nose.
Speaker 10: After.
Speaker 8: It's just at the end, because there's no way I guess that the police can block them in and stop them.
Speaker 7: No, there are plenty of ways, there is no will to do it, and Gavin could surge the CHP.
Speaker 4: He ain't doing that right now.
Speaker 7: Other counties deal with this, not La County, not Alameda County, certainly not where Vallejo is.
Speaker 1: He kind of looks like Colonel Sanders too.
Speaker 7: Someone said he look like Fred Mertz. All right, we're back to Laquishia Aquisha.
Speaker 11: The biggest concern is safety.
Speaker 12: They shoot with gunshots, not just fireworks, police gunshots as well. So mind you, My daughter stations with me as well, So I feel very unsafe.
Speaker 11: And neighbors here say they want stronger enforcement before the next side show rolls into the neighborhood. Now, we reached out to Valeo Police and HP multiple times today.
Speaker 10: We have not yet heard back.
Speaker 6: Mike Shocker, you think Laquisha and White Cotton have ever crossed pass before.
Speaker 7: Hey, this is a bonding event for them. They might need to have tea.
Speaker 10: All right, Betty, you live to night in Valeo. Betty, thank you.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 7: The Vallejo Shine side shows that are getting out of control.
Speaker 6: And Laquisha has not had a good night's sleep in a very long time.
Speaker 7: Listener Ground Noise rights in. I feel bad for Laquisha. I do too.
Speaker 6: Hey, if you'd like to watch us perform the show live, you can do that at Johnny dootlike dot Com. And when you're there, make sure to hit that like button. Where are we at right now with the likes?
Speaker 1: Randy?
Speaker 7: I think we're at two hundred and thirty six likes on today's show. And how exciting is this? We are now at thirty nine hundred and twenty six subscribers on the channel. Subscribe just means that it's a free button. You hit it and then us our stuff shows up all over your feed. We're at thirty nine hundred and twenty six. We're real close to four thousand subscribers at Johnny don't Like dot Com.
Speaker 4: You can do it. Hit that like button. It's a thumbs up and.
Speaker 6: Right now it's time to reopen the California Crime Blodder.
Speaker 4: E's cashier's dummy.
Speaker 1: We couldn't make this stuff up if we tried.
Speaker 4: I said, hell no, baby boy, let me get up one.
Speaker 3: Out of here.
Speaker 5: It's the California Crime Blodder.
Speaker 6: And this edition takes us to the Fairfax District in Los Angeles.
Speaker 7: Somebody broke into a pet store. Seriously, what is wrong with you people?
Speaker 1: What are they going to do? Steal a snake?
Speaker 7: For more, here is Fox eleven and of course Los Angeles.
Speaker 9: Time Fairfax District pet store. A thief targeted the Urban Pet before dawn, getting away with cash and more. Foxsvenxandra Scoutiers is live there tonight for us. What's the story?
Speaker 2: Andres well susan.
Speaker 14: One of the front windows out here completely gone boarded up. Now after reviewing surveillance footage, one of the man.
Speaker 4: The kid on this cooter.
Speaker 1: You break a window like that, the puppies could get away.
Speaker 14: Just told me that the burglar moved inside the store like someone who knew the layout. For eighteen am, a burglar smashes through the front window of the Urban Pet on Beverly Road. Hoodie up backpack on a phone flashlight guiding the way. Manager Taylor Jacob walked us through what's gone, starting near the front counter.
Speaker 15: You know, they took our credit card terminal seemed to not, you know, screw with it too much.
Speaker 4: A light disconnect.
Speaker 10: Why they'd take that? You don't know.
Speaker 7: That is la laid back in a nutshell, even when you're the victim of robbery.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know. They decided to take our stuff. Whatever.
Speaker 2: Then there's what the burglar didn't touch.
Speaker 15: They walked right past our registers in our cash box that we put upstairs every night.
Speaker 2: Upstairs. The thief went straight for this.
Speaker 6: Well, now they know about it, they're definitely coming back.
Speaker 7: Well, they figured they just go for the safes because Johnny are safe safe.
Speaker 1: No, they're not.
Speaker 2: Stairs.
Speaker 14: The thief went straight for the safe, emptying cash from one and taking the other.
Speaker 2: The owner believes the suspect knew exactly where to go.
Speaker 4: It's with the corona Rita's upstairs. Guys.
Speaker 1: I know what they do at quit in time or at eight in the morning.
Speaker 4: Those are the little bottles.
Speaker 7: Typically, what you do with those is you pour a beer into a glass like a PACIFICA. No you pour the Corona rita into a glass, then you had a little tomato juice. Make yourself a Mita Lada.
Speaker 2: Even disconnecting the surveillance system, we.
Speaker 15: Have no window, so that's a little inconvenience.
Speaker 6: I would like to see this guy do the play by play of the Hindenburg going down.
Speaker 7: Well, it looks like we all crash going on over there. He's a positive guy. Wouldn't we all like to have his outlook?
Speaker 15: No, it's more just like this stress, you know, and we can deal with tiny, you know, things missing even like the cash is not going to destroy the business, but you know, we want to feel safe.
Speaker 2: Larry Clark is a longtime customer.
Speaker 16: Really is hardly any crime here. No, usually up at Melrose, but.
Speaker 1: That's not very far away.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but people who live on Beverly like to think they're better than everybody else.
Speaker 16: Just saying if you go up there, we've had some problems, but usually around Beverly we're I mean, we're fine. I mean, this is a really we happened in the middle of the night, So I don't know.
Speaker 14: This is a strange crime, a crime that leaves him with one big question.
Speaker 3: But look at this to rob a pet store.
Speaker 16: They demolished this entire window. I mean, from on how much money is in a pet store?
Speaker 4: Enough?
Speaker 6: I love the fact that he's trying to stand up for his friend. He just takes every opportunity to detigrate the business.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 7: He doesn't like this on Beverly. He likes to drive past Melrose and say that's where the riff raff is. All those people that get hopped up on Pink's hot dogs and then they go a smashing.
Speaker 2: Right, it's pretty bizarre.
Speaker 14: Right, that's a bizarre robbery and a message for whoever did it.
Speaker 7: We're Beverly, we have largo. We're better than you.
Speaker 1: You're an idiot.
Speaker 16: You're an idiot. What are you doing better ways of making what a few thousand dollars?
Speaker 14: Now, LAPD is expected to come back out to dust for fingerprints and process the scene.
Speaker 4: I'm sure they'll be there any day now.
Speaker 1: What about paup prints.
Speaker 14: Recording live tonight in the fear Facts District? I'm on rescued here is bucks eleven.
Speaker 9: Years so how much optimism is there? Hondrous that they will be able to identify a suspect?
Speaker 4: Susan, I love you, but you know the answer to that question.
Speaker 6: Okay, if this was in Orange County, maybe they'd catch him.
Speaker 14: Well, they're hoping that the clothing that he was wearing and that backpack will be distinctive enough that someone out there and releasing these surveillance images will recognize him and perhaps go ahead and pick up the phone and call police.
Speaker 9: Very good, I'm just good, Tiers. Thank you so much.
Speaker 7: The statistic that you have to remember, and the person that was actually putting this out there a lot when he was running for his ill fated reelection was Georgie Gascone.
Speaker 1: On YouTube, which.
Speaker 7: By the way, we got to ask the next time we do our accountability podcast, we're gonna reveal what his nickname was that we can't say on the radio.
Speaker 1: You're gonna say it, not me.
Speaker 4: You can say it on a podcast.
Speaker 6: I know you can, but I don't know. I still feel like i'd get canceled.
Speaker 7: Maybe I'll get an AI to say it, but we'll reveal it anyway. George Gascone put out this statistic and it should really make you understand why these things are so common. When you come in a burglary in Los Angeles, whether it's a residential burglary or a commercial burglary, eighty five percent of the time you will get away with it.
Speaker 6: Well, this is also part of the reason that people run, because you know, the cops have every incentive not to chase you, and because so many crimes don't get solved, what does it matter if one more doesn't. And it just kind of snowballs into this attitude of anything goes in Los Angeles County where if you're a criminal, you have all the rights, and if you're a victim, you need to check your privilege. And that is the attitude that Gascone had. That is the attitude that the La City Council certainly has the mayor of Los Angeles, and you go, okay, well, they're not technically in charge of fighting crime, well kind of, but the LAPD works for them. They're the ones that hire the police chief, They're the ones that tell the cops to back off when they want them to. They're the ones that appoint members of the police Commission who goes after them.
Speaker 1: And you look at.
Speaker 6: This attitude in Los Angeles of no one who commits a crime expects to get arrested, no one who's the victim of a crime expects the crime to be solved, and no one who works in the criminal justice system expects them to solve the crime, and you go, okay, Well, what you end up with is the perfect storm for criminals to do whatever it is that they want to do. And what eventually happens is when the law abiding citizens can't take it anymore, they move.
Speaker 4: As George Gascunn would say
Speaker 1: We Gotolanese allies.