Speaker 1: Okay, the fund's over.
Speaker 2: They've done the dirty work of the radio business.
Speaker 3: Anybody messes this thing up for me tonight, it's true engineering, board, operating, and producing. Not only are you fired, your life is old.
Speaker 2: And now they have the microphone.
Speaker 4: What could go wrong?
Speaker 1: Nobody messes up?
Speaker 3: Understand me, don't mess.
Speaker 4: Up Adam Copeland.
Speaker 2: You want some sort of like hard hitting Bob Lee journalist if he came to the wrong place.
Speaker 3: Derek Papa, Oh boy, Okay, that's feels.
Speaker 2: It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.
Speaker 3: Ridiculous, completely ridiculous.
Speaker 5: Welcome to Dirty Work, K and b are one, O, four, five and six eighty the sports Leader. It's Dirty Work on a Thursday, Derek Papa, Kyle Horr and it's gonna be an interesting show today. I know yesterday we had to say goodbye to obviously my father and Greg Silver, and unfortunately we have more news. Adam Copeland no longer with us here and we'll get through today's show. We'll be joined by Susan Sleser at three fifty, Richard really at four or fifty. But yeah, Dirty Work one less host going forward, and I mean he's been my co host for two years now, and we'll find out what to get through.
Speaker 3: Oh look, let's see him.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Never scared me for a second.
Speaker 2: Did you say I was no longer?
Speaker 1: Did I walk out there? I was just standing.
Speaker 3: I never know anymore.
Speaker 2: I never know anymore.
Speaker 1: Something warm up, some food.
Speaker 2: I'm just standing out there and I looked at my watch and Kyle Chun's like laughing. I was like, what are you laughing at? And he's like, you're up and I was like, what are you talking about? I look at my watch. I was like, oh my god, the show's on.
Speaker 3: That's all I'm gonna do things going forward.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh, somebody's not here. We just assume this guy didn't come back from breaking time.
Speaker 2: Nobody told us I told you about me, just like we didn't hear from anybody but everybody else.
Speaker 1: So I you know, I.
Speaker 2: You know, I think, uh, well, it would be wild. That would be wild, and not as wild as you know, firing somebody with cancer, but still wild. Yeah you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: You know that's Oh did we not like how that looked me? Neither? Yeah? I didn't like how you so anyway, yeah, suit.
Speaker 5: This lest wild join us at three fifty and richually at four fifty.
Speaker 2: How you doing, I'm doing all right? Whoa a little feedback?
Speaker 1: Whoa, whoa? Sorry, all right, now we're good.
Speaker 3: What were you heating up that you missed the start of the show, Dude, I hate.
Speaker 1: That every time he just talk to me. It's about pasta.
Speaker 2: You know that I didn't burn myself, didn't burn my guts off on the pasta. Uh, that's hysterical that you opened the show that way. Well, so what's up everybody? What's going on?
Speaker 1: Are we doing?
Speaker 2: Oh, we're doing a radio show, shows on Yeah, that's right, shows on Dirty Work on a Thursday. Adam Copeland deep pop with you. You did all that, I guess, huh, you act did all somber. You're like my co host for nearly two years. I gotta go back and hear that. We gotta go back and hear that. We're gonna have some fun today, as much fun as as we can. Yeah, following yesterday, dude, Jake Mike Cruco as if this twenty twenty sixties, it's got to be the worst season of my life, the twenty twenty sixties, and now we're losing.
Speaker 1: Cruk at the end of the year two.
Speaker 3: But now you have something to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's nice to go out on your own terms. I appreciate cru getting an opportunity to the nice yet is nice and that nice really nice thing. Also, Kruk, you couldn't have let I mean, Greg and Greg's bodies weren't even cold.
Speaker 3: Come you didn't know, Come on, couldn't give him a full.
Speaker 2: Twenty four hours, homfellas, come on, man, we gotta go like that. No, but dude, like that news hit me today too? Yeah, man, I mean seriously. The one that hits me about that, and I'm I'm serious. I'm sure people felt this about hearing the news about your dad yesterday. Is broadcasters connect generations and they are the soundtracks just certain stages of our lives. And Mike Cruco, as good as anybody in Bay Area or in sports media history, has done that for Giants fans, for generations. I mean, I we'll go through it and we'll play some of the great sounds. But yeah, I got two that immediately came to mind, and I mentioned this one all the time. The first one that comes to mind all for me and my Cruco is I was taught baseball by people in my life. And usually that's how baseball goes right. So oftentimes the first sported kid plays a little league or soccer something like that. You're a little kid t ball something like that, so you start to get aware of what become aware of what baseball is at a young age. But you got a dad or a mom, or an uncle or a grandparent. And I've had so many connections in my life with members of my family who are either still with us or no longer with us that taught me Giants baseball and taught me baseball, and that we still text about.
Speaker 1: We've got family group chats and whatnot.
Speaker 2: But when the Giants won the twenty ten World Series, I told you, I took the day off work and I went to They really needed me at that barista bar. But I said, no, no, no, I've got to, I said, north from a espresso bar in Stonestown Mall. It's like, no, no, no, I've got to. I've got to be there for the Giants. They need me, you know what I mean. So I went out.
Speaker 1: I didn't even walk the parade rounde.
Speaker 2: My buddy Ryan and I went yeah, and we went down near the we were at City Hall like right where it was gonna end. And do we stood there like six thirty seven in the morning until it got there and the speech has happened, didn't pee all day, tired, thirsty, it was exhausting. And then my Kruger gets up there and he says, you know, somebody in your life taught you the Good Book of Giants Baseball, and so it's your job now now that you know that feeling, to pass that on. It's your job now to give that story to somebody else. And when you tell that story, you tell them we're San Francisco, We're the Giants. It's like one of my I got chills thinking about it now. It's one of my all time favorite moments as a fan. And the other one that comes to mind is the two thousand and two season, the first season me and MAMASUSI spent together that culminates, of course, in the Game seven loss. And I remember the night they won the pennant. We were coming back. My dad was doing a show it like at Harvey's and Tahoe. We're driving back from there, so we're listening to the beginning of the game of Game five of the two thousand and two NLCS and I on Cambre we're listening to the whole thing and we get home probably about the seventh inning, and it's like a one run game.
Speaker 1: The Giants are dueling.
Speaker 2: It's Kirk Reader up against Matt Morris, and Matt Morris is grinding and then he gets pulled for Steve Klein. But I remember we're watching that on TV, and I went back that night and went back and listened to the Giants broadcast. They played the midnight replay and all that, and you hear the final call. And one of my favorite moments of that final call is the organic nature in which Mike Kruka feels and hears, watches that moment and jumps in on the call.
Speaker 1: Like I love when.
Speaker 2: Broadcasters have something happen that they naturally themselves just react to. Not like you know, with respect to Jim Nantz. He goes on with the morning show all the time. Yeah, And I remember one time when he was calling the National Championship for March Madison. He said it was the it might have been unc or somebody goes one shot for the championship and he goes and then you know, Murph, I just laid out I knew that would be my call, and I had.
Speaker 1: Bla blah blah blah, and I was like, all right, so you had a can call.
Speaker 2: That's all fine. It's okay to have can stuff to make sure the moment is felled. But you also got to know when to breathe and when to sit back. But that moment when when John Miller calls a line drive base hit right field, Here comes bell rounding third headed home, here comes a throw it's offline, and you hear Creut say we're going yeah. He just yells it with his excited, with his in the squat type attitude. And I'm like that moment for me, and I remember people nationally were like, Mike Kruco ruined Joan Miller's Hall of Fame call, and I'm like, bro, I don't think you understand that the joy in which Mike Cruco watches and sees the game of baseball, John Newton fully gonna choose to call a pennant Mike Cruco, Dude. That's what made that amazing is we got Kreuk on the radio during the broadcast because it's on Fox. It's Joe Buck and Tim McCarver on the call, but you get John Miller said, around Mike Cruk are going, we're calling and the Giants and one in the pennant he's just reacting. And so I you know, you talk about voices of your childhood or soundtracks of your childhood. I don't think And we all love kaipe Kit this who should be a Hall of Famer too. And this is not to compare it all, but I don't think there's any better steward of Giants baseball, and with the brand of Giants baseball has been since the time he put on the uniform, became a broadcaster, gave it to the fans, preaches the book of Giants Baseball and is hoping that he's leaving it in a better place. And I don't think there's any question that we are better baseball fans, that we are better Giants fans, that we are better stewards of the game, and and understand what it means to be a Giant.
Speaker 1: Better because of what Mike Creco has brought us.
Speaker 2: So while it is a sad thing to think, man, we're not going to get crook anymore, we are so lucky that we've gotten this many decades and generations out of a guy who understands through and through and really probably branded and taught us what it meant through and through to be a San Francisco Giant and to be a Giants fan. And he I don't think he has any problem saying he's the biggest fan there is.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, And I mean.
Speaker 2: He's a ballplayer, and the dude is a fan and we are we're better for having him, and we're worse for having him having him leave the game. But I'm thrilled he gets to do it on his own terms. And uh and I'm thrilled that we got as much time listening to Mike Cruko as we did because again, maybe no better person, player, coach, manager in the history of this organization has carried that flag better than Mike Creco And I'll stand by that.
Speaker 5: No, absolutely, dude, well said, and just the catchphrases over the years, you know, grab some pine, meat, blow and cheese. Dude, that's not my favorite, Like ending every review with Murphy Marcus at a bed like it's he's just you know, he's cool, Like he's cool in the same way that Tom Tolbert is cool. A guy that used to play the game, but knows how to break it down. And there's been so many great analysts through the years, sorry play by play guys that are characters like Hawk Harrelson or Bob Yucker or Harry Carey. But I think Mike Kruco he probably could have done play by play, but he had a great play by play guy and Dwayne Kuiper, But Mike Kruco, I think in the same way that Bill Walton was the John Madden of basketball, like equal parts eccentric but also could break to break the game down just expertly. I think it's the same thing with my Cruco, where you know, some things are goofy, some things are quirky, but he knows.
Speaker 3: How to talk ball.
Speaker 5: And I have some stories about Kruco hanging out with him in the booth that I'll tell later. But yeah, man, I'm gonna miss him on the mic. He is Giants baseball. I think of Crook and Kuipe, and obviously those guys deserve to go into Cooper's town together, and I hope that happens pretty soon.
Speaker 2: Here dude started to interrupt, But we'll get back into this because we had a lot of curt stuff to get to. We've got a lot of sound and things to talk about, and I do want to hear from the callers on this.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 2: A lot of people are really pissed at how he started the show.
Speaker 3: I don't really care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did fine. One I says, I hate y'all so much. Derek, that was pure evil. Two nine says Dude, that was evil. Yeah, I mean it's not as evil as you know, fired a guy with cancer, but hey, here we are. Two on nine says that wasn't funny. Uh to another two and I says Jesus Christ. Derek, that was a little bit much, but nicely done. Yeah. Seven seven says that was better than an NBA crab back story. Five one is damn you had me going there. Quit playing with our emotions. Seven oh seven says Derek.
Speaker 1: That was scary. Lmfao.
Speaker 2: Five one says bro I really started googling Adam Covid. You're just gonna get the wrestler, the d superstar.
Speaker 3: It kind of seems like that could happen, right guys, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Kind of why not? Six so I don't think so. Yeah. Uh four in says that wasn't funny. Derek.
Speaker 2: Uh nine says damn Deepop eight three one says Superstoke Cobs is still here.
Speaker 1: I'd make one of you.
Speaker 2: Uh. Five three says for the next couple of months, no one goes on vacation for fear that they're not coming back. Well, yeah, five sas dude, you had his hook line at center.
Speaker 1: My god, imagine that. Derek's like, so I'm with you for four hours.
Speaker 2: Yep, don't forget everybody, just while we're all laughing, and ha ha ha ha ha, don't forget that. My partner Derek Papa right here did did admit not two months ago, but if I died, he would do the show the next day.
Speaker 3: Isn't it clear they would make me at this point.
Speaker 2: I die, they'd be like, well you were gone anyway, we were gonna let you go anyway. Seriously, anyway, you have four and five. Definitely pulled that one off, Derek. You had me going over here. Hey man, we got a riff. Hey, we got a riff.
Speaker 3: We're still here. We got four for now, one day an.
Speaker 2: Away, cambre, one more day, one more.
Speaker 1: We should just say.
Speaker 2: Goodbye at the end of every show as if it's the final day. I'm good with that, Yeah, I mean, seriously, what what's the alternative?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Atoa Cambar is the number to call and the number to text, seven to seven, wrote bro Blank. They wrote the word blank, bro Blank?
Speaker 1: You Derek, I like that.
Speaker 2: I will take a quick break when we come on back. More on my Cruco the voice of my childhood? What's what was the voice of your childhood? Anyway?
Speaker 1: Camby are which sports cast broadcaster?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 1: Mike Kruco?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 2: Maybe it's Greg Papa. Seriously from your time with the Raiders. Maybe you're twenty five years old and you're like, Greig Papa was a Raider broadcaster. Thought it was a Niner guy. Maybe maybe it's the A's Maybe, I mean, who knows?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: Bill King?
Speaker 2: I'd love to hear because I broadcasters. To me, it's the job we do. But part of the reason I do what I do is the love I had for guys like John Miller and Joe Angel and Dave Fleming and Dwayne Kuiper and Mike Cruco. Like we are one of the richest areas in all of the country for broadcasters. We've gotten and we're spoiled by it. And it's sad to see Mike go, but again thrilled and I say this with intent. He's going out on his own terms. A toaway, cambr as, a number to call, and a text. Tell us about the voice of your childhood.
Speaker 1: Will do so.
Speaker 2: Next Dirty Work on a Thursday on What's Left of The sports Leader.
Speaker 3: Just another laffer.
Speaker 4: Now back to Dirty Work. Adam Copeland and Derrek Papa on K and B R one O four to five, six eighty Am The sports Leader.
Speaker 2: Dirty Work on a Thursday, Adam Copeland, Deep Pop, Kyle Horror hanging out with us first time ever.
Speaker 1: Kyle Harr is running the board for I Like, it's like, what are you doing, Harr? What's going on in there?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: The mic?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Not much?
Speaker 2: You know all right? I wish the week was better probably, you know. Yeah, you wouldn't stop giving me smiling. Wouldn't stop you from having a grin.
Speaker 5: Dude.
Speaker 1: This kid's always smiling.
Speaker 2: I like it though. He's always ear to ear grinning, dude, you should be.
Speaker 1: He's like, oh you you are. He's always laughing. He's always smiling.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 4: You're good.
Speaker 1: Due to be around. Good to have you.
Speaker 2: To Kyle Harr, We're gonna catch up with Susan's lesser at three fifty richardially at four fifty. We do have some great sound to get into a little bit later. We'll do a sound swore Greg. We'll get into a little sound swore a on some some Greg Papa, Yes, we will gotta be fun do We'll do that later. And we'll do some uh some dips with Kyle Harr. We'll see if well they're hardly the dips.
Speaker 3: Hardly dips, but close enough with Kyle Harr.
Speaker 1: We'll do that a little bit later.
Speaker 3: That's that's what we're calling it to.
Speaker 1: The news of the day.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, more broadcaster news now a different tone, different a different node for sure, Mike, this is happier Mike Cruco announcing his retirement. Yeah, bittersweet for sure. We're like, oh man, I wanted more of you, but so glad.
Speaker 1: That we had the time. I'm happy it happened.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, it's more of a celebration for my Cruco and when he's accomplished and just being a great broadcaster. When you talk about the greatest broadcasters that have graced the Bay Area, I mean, think about the galaxy of Stars, the Giants, have had the Avengers of John Miller, Dwayne Kiper, Mike, Mike Cruco, and Dave Fleming.
Speaker 3: They're unbelievable.
Speaker 5: And when I think of my Cruco, I just think of a guy that you know, I feel like you're just having a beer with watching a game. I think that's what everybody wants in a broadcaster. That's what made John Madden so good is because he could talk ball with you, but also he was goofy and funny, and he's just kind of breaking the game down like' at a bar having a cold. One and that's the same thing With Mike cruco and my experience With. Cruco uh, god this had to be twenty years. Ago when my dad started Doing giants. GAMES i would travel around with him in the booth AND i THINK i Met cruco for the first time WHEN i was going into my freshman year of high. School so he's starting out my dad and then HE i meet My cruco and just me and, HIM i, think on the fielder in the broadcast, booth he, goes what's, Up, derek what's going?
Speaker 3: On he never talked.
Speaker 5: Baseball he's talking about. Life, Yeah and he was just, like so go into high school hung you. Nervous i'm, like, yeah of Course i'm. Nervous he, Goes, uh the key to high school is you got treated like. Prison you just go in there and you see the tallest son of a bitch and just pop him in the.
Speaker 1: Face you were thirteen years old and like fourteen And kruk said this team AND.
Speaker 3: I just start busting out. Laughing he goes, like you like that. ONE i like that. Too you gotta treat.
Speaker 1: It so did you treat it like?
Speaker 3: Prison?
Speaker 2: No, no no no He derek said, no, no instead of kind of a face and, SAID i was staying out of a.
Speaker 1: Put it over my.
Speaker 3: Finger it was a different deal that it was a different.
Speaker 1: Grade that was like sixth.
Speaker 3: Grade, no that was in middle.
Speaker 2: School, yeah it sounds like like you were you were exiting that. Realm, yeah he was much your best from middle. School so if high.
Speaker 5: School was, prison that'd be me, like, oh so we got a funny boy, here huh put it out to Down hussein masks.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 3: No But Mike mike was ALWAYS i, Mean Mike mike was great and LIKE i see the antics in the. Booth.
Speaker 5: Uh Dave flemings starting off and then making fun of, him but then of course they respected the hell out of.
Speaker 3: It so, Yeah mike's.
Speaker 5: Awesome just like this past year doing the round table for The, giants AND i had talked to him in, years but him being a part of.
Speaker 1: That he was a guest on the round.
Speaker 5: Table, yeah he was a guest in the round, table AND i was, Like mike's going to hear your voice. Again he was, like same to, You, Derek i'm glad what's become of? You so, yeah, MAN i, MEAN i have so much respect for My cruco And Dwayne, kuper AND i hope they go Into cooperstown. Together it's gonna be sad when he's on the broadcast. Anymore but he had a fantastic, career obviously when you talked About, copes so many memories the, parade him saying all that stuff about The giants in their, Histories and, Honestly i'll say this, Too mike is a fantastic. Broadcaster he's also a fantastic. Dad what he did this past year reacting To Pride, Night, yeah like that whole. THING i don't know how to talk about. That i'm fairly new at this and that's a very uncomfortable, conversation BUT i didn't like what, Happened AND i know you had opinions about.
Speaker 1: That it's not uncomfortable for, me BUT i KNOW i understand it's to navigate for some.
Speaker 5: People, sure, NO i totally get, that especially when you're starting out and you're, LIKE i know people have their, opinions but at the same, TIME i don't agree with. That mike put it perfectly and, beautifully AND i ALL i wanted to say WAS i don't think anybody could say it.
Speaker 3: Better than my. Crew.
Speaker 1: Go so that was a great.
Speaker 5: State, yeah, man thirty six years doing this. Thing i'll miss him dearly because he was fantastic on The.
Speaker 2: Brocket and one of the THINGS i think about too is WHEN i was a, kid for some, REASON i was fascinated with the idea OF i think when you're a kid and you watch, sports you really want the, play you, assume, like, oh they all love each, other all the players love each, other all the broadcasters love each. Other BUT i remember asking my, Mama, susie WHEN i was like thirteen or, fourteen, LIKE i think we were watching a game one time and he And crut And kuyper jabbing at each, other and joking around and, laughing and we listened to the.
Speaker 1: RAP i was.
Speaker 2: Obsessed it's ALL i, did was listening TO g and B r And giants. Baseball AND i said to my, Mama, susie do you think they're really? Friends BECAUSE i, remember you know, too like there's a reality TO o two Where bonds And Cat you're, like, okay they're really, no not all. Buddies like you get old enough to clear, well you become you, know you get to be fifteen years old or thirteen years, old you understand like you personally don't even like. Everybody so of course adults don't like, everybody but when you're a, kid there's still the big baseball men and it's this magical, thing and you're you're still sort of enamored with the innocence of. It, Right and she, SAID i would find it hard to believe that they're not really, friends considering how frequently they're. Together that being a broadcaster is much different than being a teammate of somebody on the, field, Right and that they were teammates on the, field that they have a common, background and then to realizing to find out that they are that deeply connected that they are like best. Friends that When mike had his, diagnosis we found out that he wasn't able to travel in the same, capacity and it had been going on for a while where he had the walking stick and all, that and then he's officially into the.
Speaker 1: Chair but when we found out That Dwayne kuiper.
Speaker 2: Was his handler on the, road The pipe was, Like i'm not going anywhere that he's, not But i'm walking him everywhere we got to. Go That i'm the one making sure he gets to and from nothing warm my heart. More and it speaks to the person That Mike crego is And, dwaynekuiper of, course but it just speaks to their friendship and to how you know you can't fake. This you AND i said, Here we said it yesterday and we talked about the.
Speaker 1: Hard stuff that we're.
Speaker 2: FACING a Canbr you can't fake who you are every day for that many, hours even in calling a. Game we just at some point the real stuff's gonna come out At you're gonna be.
Speaker 1: You you can play a.
Speaker 2: Character if you're playing a, character that's not who these guys, are, no you, KNOW i mean they're doing a broadcast and that's who they. Are John miller's goofy he does he's done just with, us AND i love. It he does it With, dwayne he does it with with With. Dave he's been doing it With, dave sort of messing with him since he was he was a really really young. Broadcaster now they, got you, know a great back and forth and. Report but he does it with us when we're on a pregame. Broadcast, no so you, know you can't fake that. Stuff AND i think what you hear in what you see From mike is is what you. Get you're not gonna find anybody to say anything.
Speaker 5: Different, no, Man he's, authentic and that's the way you gotta do this. Thing AND i mean talking, about you, know stuff that warms your. HEART i remember was the twenty twenty one season When Dwayne kuyper was diagnosed with cancer and he didn't start the season right, away and THEN i remember the CLIP i think the giant shirt on social media WHERE i DON'T i don't know If mike knew That dwayne was coming back that, day but he's in the broadcast booth And dwayne shows.
Speaker 3: Up he's, like, OH i got my buddy.
Speaker 5: Back like that that warms your. Heart the connection they had. Together just another quick. STORY i remember this. One i'll never forget.
Speaker 1: IT i like. THIS i haven't heard These crutch stories from.
Speaker 5: You so my dad's doing one of his first broadcasts with my crew go and he was Like crucos different Than Ray. FOSSEI i Love Ray, fosse rectipees of the Great Ray, FOSSi but.
Speaker 2: Personality wise game with him calling game different but like he was.
Speaker 5: Not gonna be goofy like that he was in you, know old school player people remember. Him was, no, no, no like him at P. Rose you, know like that's what you remember him as a. Player but you know he had fun broadcasting, games but he was gonna be goofy Like Mike. Cruco so my dad starts to broadcast off and he's, SAYING i can't Believe i'm part of this team right, now the great you, Know Dwayne, kaipo we got the young, Guy Dave, Fleming John, miller the, legend and of Course Mike. Cruco and then In Mike cruco, says live on the, air.
Speaker 3: Oh, Strokers Papa, Strokers AND i was, like only only he could get away with. IT i was, Like i'm, doing Oh man Foss he's not saying. That Good, lord, NO i was.
Speaker 2: Pig you don't forget Gamer. Babes that was a, great great gamer. Babs and don't forget one of my favorite eras that some people weren't past. LIKE i liked that the era ended because it did go a little bit, far BUT i liked that it, happened And i'm glad looking back on.
Speaker 1: It women ain't.
Speaker 2: Me kruk was one of my favorite. Eras oh yeah when he had the, telestrator because you don't really need a tellustrator for, baseball but he wouldn't really do anything with it except that people be, like oh, easy, dude he's, Gone it's. Gone or me and my budd would always, joke wh When kirker do the breakdown of a starting, Pitcher, yeah he's gonna run up to a ninety, two ninety four is a sinker slider. GAG i just it's it's, Uh it's SOMETHING i will miss. Dearly it's SOMETHING i WILL i will frequently talk. ABOUT i think with people and we think back To giants baseball and and how great a color man can be to have this impact for this long and really a guy who didn't come up here AND i STILL i set it at the top of the. Show UNDERSTANDS i think better than almost anybody and has told that story and led and sort of forged that path forward about what it meant to be A giants, fan of What Giants baseball is, about And Giant Mike cruco Is Giants.
Speaker 1: Baseball it's it's cut and dry for. Me it's as simple as it. Comes.
Speaker 2: Uh four oh eighth checks in on The Golden State lumber end and showroom text on a lot of people still checking in on on the open to the show SAYS i turned off my radio When derrick says can boy WAS i Pissed. IMMEDIATELY i called my buddy to vent and he's, like, dude it was just a, joke he, said well, played but too. Soon that's not the first TIME i mess around with the. Audience so that's also it wasn't even a plan. JOKE i really didn't even know the show it. Started, yeah because we Got Kyle chung in here And John Joe curley won't turn up a.
Speaker 1: Speaker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No well the show. Starts i'm looking At kyle har AND i was, like you, know And i'm having a little fun. Here you told me go with.
Speaker 5: IT i was, like just just go with, this don't, don't don't see a damn. Thing i've done this, before like An April fools years ago at the other. Station haberman and, Millicoff god let go AND i started the show off with our introing people, like oh.
Speaker 3: My, god is this?
Speaker 5: Happening and then right after, THAT i played the open For papa And bonte and then of course My dad's, like, well someone's gonna get in trouble for.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 2: Yeah Mike gird going down today that he's going to retire From Giants baseball after thirty six. Seasons he, said, QUOTE i just want to let everybody know That i'll be retiring at the end of the. SEASON i want to take this time to thank you for your incredible. Support jennifer AND i have been so blessed to be able to stay in the game for so, long for as long as we, have and it's really made it impossible to feel sorry for myself that my career is coming to an. End we're bracing for the emotional hits that we're now going to feel in the next few. Weeks jennifer AND i are wondering if it's even possible to let everyone know how deeply we love and respect our giants. Family our time together has been a.
Speaker 1: Gift it's pretty.
Speaker 3: Incredible, yeah, Absolutely.
Speaker 1: And then he said when Green day, ASKED i hope you had the time of your, lives we certainly. Have thank. You it's pretty, incredible.
Speaker 2: Beautiful, yeah that's, uh that's. Incredible and then and Then cambiar took the other side of. It they're, like that song is actually titled good, riddance so we'll see those later, Anyway cambre four, one, five, eight, five six two seven is the number to call on the number six your Favorite Mi kruco memories if you've, got and we'd love to hear about. Him AND i, said, ALSO i want to hear from you, GUYS u on your the voices of your. CHILDHOOD i, SAID i can like mark moments and days in my head With Mike cruco's. VOICE i can do it With John, MILLER i can do it with with Even Ted robinson on some forty nine er.
Speaker 3: Calls, yeah the run of dream the play of. DREAMS i mean there.
Speaker 2: Are calls that somebody said you better wash your mouth, out Putting Joe angel in the same. Conversation i'm not saying they all deserve to be Ford See Frick award. Winners i'm SAYING i think broadcasters mark moments in our lives and they add so much to whatever the moment where the historic spot is for that sports, play absolutely And Joe angel for, ME i just you, Know Three giants were a blast for. ME i loved that team AND i loved hearing. HIM i thought he sounded Like John miller with a, cold which is kind of. Funny The giants are in the, wind but that's one for. Me you can wave it bye. Bye AND i know he rubbed people the wrong, way but not, Me not, Me not thirteen year old coach Inn away Canby. ARE i was getting ready to go punch it the biggest guy in the nose WHEN i got to high.
Speaker 5: School, yeah like, you it's a good's it's good advice from Mikru go back of the day five.
Speaker 2: THREE us Is derek would and punch the bigges kid in high, school trying to pay him with thunderbucks to be his.
Speaker 1: Bodyguard there you.
Speaker 3: Go everybody knows.
Speaker 1: ME itaa Canby, are is that ever to call and?
Speaker 2: Detecks we would love to hear from you, guys and hear what your thoughts are On Mike cruco or anything else you want to throw, out because it's been an emotional day in terms OF i, mean it's it's there is an interesting jextaposition here with what we talked about. Yesterday and to talk about the childhood broadcaster for you if you're A raider fan in you're my age Or derret, Sage.
Speaker 1: Greg pop is the voice of Your raider. Childhood like that's HOW I that's WHAT i associate of.
Speaker 2: Course So i'm, like these are all things THAT i think are a whirlwind of emotions for a lot of, us and we're just walking through it.
Speaker 1: Together Dirty work on A.
Speaker 2: Thursday it's the greatest show In america for now only you're on These Sports.
Speaker 4: Leader now back To Dirty work With copes and D pop on one oh four FIVE fm and six eighty am B Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Dirty work on A Thursday.
Speaker 2: Afternoon my crew go quote In Green day and the time of your life you were, NICE i mean in his farewell To giants fans eight Away cambre four and five eight eight five sixty, seven the number to.
Speaker 1: Call and the number to.
Speaker 3: Text what's this song that you think.
Speaker 2: Of The Pop disaster tour In april of two thousand and, one the first CONCERT i went To Green, Day Jimmy World blink onin eighty.
Speaker 3: TWO i, mean this song is.
Speaker 5: Iconic they use it FOR i think a clip show to In seinfeld and at the, time like that's such a timely like you, know LIKE i think it was nineteen ninety, Eight so this song just came, out LIKE i don't, Know Green day And. Seinfeld that seems like a weird mix or like a weird like collaboration.
Speaker 3: There but, YEAH i think about, that And i'll think about My.
Speaker 1: Cruco, yeah, yeah in my eighth grade, class you know WHAT i, mean eighth.
Speaker 3: Grade, OH i think they used.
Speaker 1: This in like that probably a. Slideshow, yeah they.
Speaker 3: Would they would play this at every like. Graduation, yeah it's.
Speaker 1: Always.
Speaker 2: Yeah they also played a we had this one as part of the. SUNSHOW i think like we had an eighth grade song where like our whole classic sang a song and graduation for the parents or, Whatever and, YEAH.
Speaker 1: I think we.
Speaker 2: Did Uh You'll be In My heart By Phil collins from The tarzan. Soundtrame oh come, on, well, dude because a CLASS a few years before us had done this. One, yeah but you don't want to BE i think two years before us the class had done. This they wouldn't let the say. It like the eight grade class couldn't pick the same song as a right previous. Class i'll tell you what they're the class before. Me shout out The Assumption school In saleander graduating, class eighth grade class of two thousand and. Two, yeah, boy they really struck gold with A World's greatest BY R.
Speaker 1: Kelly oh My god from The.
Speaker 3: Mountain peek, up, yeah The world's Great.
Speaker 1: Now i'm locked?
Speaker 2: Up, Yep, yeah, dude that's an that's that was an aged.
Speaker 1: One i'm locked, up.
Speaker 2: Locked. Up that's a difference on. TOO i think that's an. Usher, no, no, no, no that's that's going is the same Song i'm going With.
Speaker 3: Acons i'm locked Up. Acons, Also i'm, Lonely oh so.
Speaker 1: LONELY i didn't think we're gonna acon Over Green dye.
Speaker 2: TODAY i didn't have happen on MY r AND b starts on My bengo card, anyway came yards number to call and the number to text people checking out on The Golden state number and show room text line still with the open four and five eight awaight five six two? Seven, no, no, okay this is more on my. Crew go, okay good, people. PEOPLE a lot of thoughts on the open BECAUSE i didn't know the show had. STARTED i couldn't hear the audio on the other, round all right for joking, Room, like, yeah coach is out.
Speaker 1: Too.
Speaker 2: Uh then, again our managers have been like sitting in the office with the doors. Club MAYBE i am after, This we'll See, yeah so, goodbye. Everybody this is the potentially two eight one checks in and, says bro tearing up on dirty work was not on my twenty twenty six bingo.
Speaker 1: Card, uh don't do this to, me dirty. Work i'm already tearing, Up they're.
Speaker 2: Saying playing that song withde that song does get me in the fields a little, bit, though yes or, no because it's it's it's been around for so long now they don't even think about seeing them performing live so emotionally you're you're you were talking about like graduation, songs and, YES i think of that.
Speaker 3: SONG i also think of Remember VITAMIN c as.
Speaker 1: We go now was another one. Here we remember him them all the. Time, yeah, YEAH.
Speaker 2: I remember that one six six nights a. Coach the one you were singing was usher caught, up not locked.
Speaker 1: Up, Yeah i'm so.
Speaker 4: Caught.
Speaker 2: Up, yeah, confessions, dude That i'll get. You these are not confessional four and five Says class of eighty. Eight it says high school class of nineteen.
Speaker 1: EIGHTY i don't.
Speaker 2: Know this is just Like heaven by The cure was the song everybody played back. Then, okay that's a good, one just like heaven THAT'S i THINK i might pop up In rome And. Michelle which one's that, Again, Kyle i'm gonna need you to play.
Speaker 3: It you can't. Sing you get them a ton of?
Speaker 2: It two oh nine chicks in, it says Uh, no oh, Dude it says Uh Mike kirk on the time That Lee hammer was selling concessions in the stands of the Way Krek cook And caper bagging on.
Speaker 1: Him that was, hilarious remember.
Speaker 3: That, NO i, don't oh.
Speaker 2: Dude there was a day where Where Lee hammer went out and he like sold peanuts in the stand as an.
Speaker 1: Usher Why i've always wanted to do.
Speaker 2: It i'll get a great breathful for that's what he, did, Dude and it was hysterically went out and he was, like, dude he had the hat on just like.
Speaker 1: Heaven Kyle mighters, like what's that? Song two o nine end of The. Road, yeah that's a good. One that's the end of.
Speaker 3: It, oh we've come to the end of the.
Speaker 1: Roads, yeah that's a good. One seven o, seven here we.
Speaker 3: Go oh, YEAH i know.
Speaker 4: This you know this?
Speaker 1: Song, yeah sounds. Good seven leave that plant. Cow it sounds KIND i like.
Speaker 3: This, yeah come, on keep this.
Speaker 2: Center there were no rules. Anymore always do this when we read text about broadcasters, retiring dude seven oh seven, says, uh maybe lowered a little.
Speaker 1: BIT i don't, Know, yeah bring it down just a.
Speaker 2: Bit and there were six two three, Sis, Dude Greg poppa was the voice of my warded. Child BECAUSE i love your, Dad. DEREK i started Every Home warrior game highlight in my bedroom With Sleepy floyd four, court, Right Greg papa stayed four clad.
Speaker 3: Right you know that's an era of my dad's career That i'm not well versed. In don't talk much about. It, yeah, well because it was before my time and he.
Speaker 5: WAS i, mean My dad's been let go by a lot of teams, unfortunately but The, WARRIORS i think around in nineteen ninety, six AND i was just a.
Speaker 3: BABY i get you, Know i'm five years.
Speaker 5: OLD i do remember him doing the laryngitis game Where Chris webber came back and my.
Speaker 2: Dad is the laryngitis. Game he had, terrible terrible. LARYNGITI i still linking it as The Chris webber.
Speaker 4: Return no, no no.
Speaker 3: No in the broadcast that now you know What i'm talking. About and he was Like Chris webber's back cup from three from full?
Speaker 4: Court?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah was that his line fore court? RIGHT i don't know about. That my big one on On Tim roy's eyes ride free throw a lot? Extended, yeah mos hard ride kick around A Calbert channing right free throw a lot?
Speaker 1: Extended got?
Speaker 3: It that's pretty.
Speaker 5: Good But, no with my, DAD i MEAN i grew with him being the voice of The. Raiders THAT'S i, Mean like you're, asking, like who the voice of your? Childhood can korak doing as? Games?
Speaker 3: Dude Bill?
Speaker 1: KING i Love Ken Korak man.
Speaker 3: The voice Of summer and still doing.
Speaker 5: It but, yeah, man like WHEN i think, of you, know voices of my, CHILDHOOD i mean, like of course going to say my, father LIKE i grew up with him Doing raiders, games AND i know like he's moved, on you, know doing The niner.
Speaker 3: Games but, like to, me he.
Speaker 5: Will always be the voice of The raiders and that's always Remember Tyrone wheatley won't go.
Speaker 3: Down you know The Tuck rule game they're gonna review With.
Speaker 5: Greg oh Why like it's it's just it's why, Wow like like to, me, like that's my introduction to. Broadcasting and THEN i you, know learned other. People so no to me unless it does sounds, cheesy but the voice of my childhood absolutely my father.
Speaker 2: Six five accidence, says, dude for, me this is an attaching one says for, me sports.
Speaker 1: Radio isn't just about.
Speaker 2: Games it's the soundtracks of, commutes, victories, heartbreaks and ordinary day voices that become trusted, companions turning strangers behind the mic into lifelong. Friends i'm touched by. That that HiT's been the Hard and then he says Nextcept.
Speaker 1: Krueger that hits.
Speaker 2: Me nobody's saying it's not just about the, games it's about just anybody you, Hear because, again that's that's the goal for us in this. Show that's the GOAL i think for anybody who gets to do this gig IS i just want to be part of the soundtrack of the. Background we know you're not listening to every, word and on every word we say you got to get through your work. DAY i sat out a computer summer after high school AT Emc collision In, fremont AND i was, like driving, people you worked over?
Speaker 1: THERE i worked over. There, Yeah Stevenson, AUTOMA i know.
Speaker 2: That you know.
Speaker 1: That why do you know? That what are you doing down To?
Speaker 3: Freemont sometimes you have to get your car fixed a different.
Speaker 1: Location you've been down?
Speaker 2: There. Yeah we used to run a. Service, Uh AND i was LIKE i was. Eighteen we'd run a service where LIKE i would have to drive around and go get like car parks from different dealerships and bring them. Back i'd like work to use the company. Truck but we'd have a thing where it was like super high end cars would come.
Speaker 3: In was that the whole? Song nice super high.
Speaker 2: End cars would come, In and we would run a service where we're, like if your car is gonna be ready, today we'll take you to work after you drop your car, up don't have to like.
Speaker 1: Drive i'd like a guy would drive in from like The South.
Speaker 2: Bay, yeah he would drop his car off and THEN i feel like drive him to the, city come back, there and then come back and pick him up from work at like four o'clock or five o'clock or. Whatever ALL i did that entire summer was listening to cambr and that was it was the same.
Speaker 1: Thing it's a. Companion it's just a way to get.
Speaker 2: By but baseball hits me in that way in a different way because baseball same. Thing it's a good, background companion type of sport to have. On you can go out to your, garden you can have a, picnic you can be in and out of the car and you just you're popping in and out and it's all just it's just stable and it's. Steady BUT i appreciate that text the six y five oh that was that was touching to.
Speaker 5: Me, no, Absolutely and that's WHY i Think giants, FANS i, mean they love the team and they love the. Broadcasters AND i know the season has been. Terrible were they nineteen games will low five hundred now like whatever it. Is it's it's been an all time bad. Season but it makes you forget about that just a little bit when you Hear krook And, kipe like you, know the way they, are you, know just making fun of the game, sometimes like there's lulls of baseball games they make fun of the fans or you know what people are. Wearing or one of my favorite things is when somebody's yawning on camera And kruko will do like A, tarzan.
Speaker 1: You, know, like, oh.
Speaker 3: He wouldn't do.
Speaker 1: That there's just just some yell in the. Back you have to do.
Speaker 3: That you have to entertain, People like there is no LIKE i appreciate the professional.
Speaker 5: Broadcasters i'm not saying Like crook And kype, aren't but like when you're, goofy that brings more people. In but like you, Know Vince scully fantastic when he gives you notes to like interesting to note about this, Player like he's a.
Speaker 3: Professional he doesn't need somebody with.
Speaker 5: Him crook And, Kype, yes they are fantastic and what they, do but they're they're like they like to play around.
Speaker 3: A little bit and that and that makes it more.
Speaker 5: Entertaining like white people love inside THE nba because they're not breaking down the game all the.
Speaker 3: Time they're having fun a little.
Speaker 5: Bit so you can be professional and break down ex's and o's all day, long and then you can mess around a little.
Speaker 3: Bit and that's WHY i think people. Gravitate you, know a few do to.
Speaker 5: Us but at the same, TIME i think that's why people will gravitate towards the crook and kype because they're having. Fun and the key to this whole damn thing, is, yes they're having a bad, season but you're having fun watching the.
Speaker 1: Game it's all a champ kind, Said i'm all about having.
Speaker 3: Fun take them off Pay it's off at Sea.
Speaker 2: World remember go To Sea? World take my pants? Off nine two five, Sticks it, says no More. Kruco i'm thirty. Five feels like my childhood is ended all over. Again five, THREE i Says, kruker the voice of my childhood since nineteen ninety.
Speaker 1: Six. Yeah seven and seven says, Dudes cruco's. Retiring he's not. Dead we're not training it.
Speaker 2: Later come, on, guys celebrate and give him prop for joining games. Left celebrate and give him prop for enjoying the fruits of his. Labor that's quite, literally what for less what we're. DOING i don't know What i'm, doing, Man.
Speaker 3: You tell us what to talk about. Today there's nothing else going.
Speaker 2: On hi seven and seven says, also there's two, graduations high school and college or trade. School eighth grade or sixth, grade any other. Grade, no, okay you go to one school with the same thirty kids from kindergarten to eighth, Grade tell me you don't deserve a graduation at the. End, YEAH i had the same thirty kids in my class for nine. Years, yeah they're doing a. Graduation and by the, way it's for the, parents you know WHAT i. Mean, right you can act like it's not a big.
Speaker 1: Deal it was for the.
Speaker 2: Parent we had a whole dinner dance, thing and, yeah it was a big. Deal in middle school or eighth, GRADE i should, say, yeah we FROM i wasn't just in a regular middle.
Speaker 1: SCHOOL i. Guess so it's a different and form of is Al michaels of my? CHILDHOOD i.
Speaker 3: Guess do you believe in? MIRACLES i mean? Yes like for national, Broadcasters, yeah, LIKE i mean.
Speaker 1: Yes don't you answer the question do you believe in?
Speaker 3: Miracles or The Antonio freeman? Touchdown he? Did What El.
Speaker 5: MICHAELS i mean he's different today obviously on The Amazon prime. Broadcast but, YEAH i think like when it comes to national broadcasters, Him Bob Costas Joe.
Speaker 3: Buck but those aren't like.
Speaker 5: It's different when you have a local, broadcaster and that's big with radio calls for. Football you don't, have you, know a local broadcast for a football game where your local guys doing the game like it's it's totally. Different with baseball and, basketball fans feel a certain connection they're. Broadcasters that's. Why you, know, baseball's as you, Said cope's a companion. Sport people turn on their radios they feel, like you, KNOW i got my friend with, me whether It's John miller Or Dave fleming or Crookand. Kype so there's an element to that that football doesn't. Have so, yeah they'll be sorely messed With. Kruko yeah me, too.
Speaker 1: MAN i mean, again it's not like we're talking like he's. Passed we're talking, like, hey.
Speaker 2: Now this is the end of an era and we're. Thrilled you have to have had this much time to be able to listen to.
Speaker 1: IT i don't need to have.
Speaker 5: THIS i do you know a breakdown When brock pretty today of, Practice let's see, here let's do his stats are through a?
Speaker 3: Bomb?
Speaker 1: Nice?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Two?
Speaker 5: One?
Speaker 2: Nice IS i just want to feel like a part of the community for these sports. Teams cambio is a number one place for that for. ME i appreciate you saying.
Speaker 1: That nineteen five, says no S i listen To Dirty work like every word every. Day you're the. Man appreciate.
Speaker 3: That but what are you doing like we're background noise as?
Speaker 2: Well yeah, right, yeah you got other stuff going. On you don't like flipping on a watch beginning to, end do? You, yeah come, ON i gotta.
Speaker 1: Get this commercial four hours.
Speaker 3: Show it's a little much after a.
Speaker 2: While four and five chicks and, says, dude imagine all the s talking mother fathers after on, YouTube bag and copes for a minute when they thought he was. Gone they're, like, hell, yes about, Time about damn? Time right at a, way camby are four and, five five sixty, Seven Steven, HEELSBURG jp And. SACK i see you guys waiting on the. Line let's get to your. Calls you have thoughts or, memories your favorite My cruco moments we want to hear about, him also the voices of your. CHILDHOOD i, mean because for, me really this is one Where i'm like said to you, yesterday don't Remember greg popping up being on the airwaves in The Bay. Area don't Remember Tom tolbert not being on kmb. ARE i don't remember my crew going not being A giants. Broadcast, yeah, man, right that's so, seriously here's a generation of, us there's an in age of us where like these are the ends of certain runs or, generations at least for some of them by choice and some for the time.
Speaker 5: Being, YEAH i, MEAN i just want to talk about that real. Quick, LIKE i know people are mad that this stuff is. Changing we're mad, Too, like you, KNOW i grew up listening to these, guys like you, know not having on my, dad not not having my dad on the, airwaves not having My. Kruco it's a different deal, obviously Or Tom, Tolbert, like we love this stuff because we grew up with. It we wanted to be those, guys and when they're not, around we have to replace. Them, yeah it sucks for us, Too SO i feel you guys's. Pain it's a different deal going on with, Everybody like everywhere right now they are use, sports but everywhere right now things are, Changing so it's.
Speaker 3: Tough it's tough for all of us.
Speaker 2: Anyway Camb our four and five iterate five sixty. Seven i'm gonna call in. Tench if you want to get involved in any of what we've talked about or we'll talk, about give us a. Call the phone lines are open and we'll get to the ones on the line. Next only here on The Sports Leader
Speaker 4: Spot STARS i kin Stip, Be Cally stup