Speaker 1: Now back to dirty Work with Copes and d Pop on one oh four five FM and six eighty AM b sports Leader.
Speaker 2: Starty Work on a Thursday afternoon, Adam Copelande Pop, Kyle Horror hanging out with us today. We're being joined on the UMA guest line by Susan Selester. She covers the Giants for the San Francisco Chronicles. Susan is sponsored by SERFSID It's not a Seltzer, it's Surfside, proud partner of the Giants.
Speaker 3: We do it with Susan each and every week.
Speaker 2: And Susan we were just talking before he came on, saying, I don't think this is a day where we really talk much about what's happening on the field for the Giants. In the last couple of days, with all the news between Cambre changes and Mike Kruco on his own terms announcing his retirement today, we kind of thought this a better subject to.
Speaker 3: Talk about with you.
Speaker 2: Somebody who's known both of these guys and even Greg Silver, three of these guys and been around the Bay area media scene for so long.
Speaker 3: Susan, how are you today?
Speaker 2: On a Thursday afternoon, hy Susan's great.
Speaker 4: Hi guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was once an on the air called even like I've got a and I and as you you probably know, I did Stanford baseball and football right now, So I'm I feel very strongly about many of these things, but especially Kruko. You know, Kruko is near and dear to all Giants fans, I mean all baseball fans, like some of the response I'm hearing from people in other parts of the country who are like, you know, I'm a fan of this team, but I try to listen to Kruk and Kite because they're so great, which of course, of course they are. And everyone knows what Crook's been going through physically. It is, it is not. It's so commendable what he's been doing, and he would never say it ever, he'd never complain. He's got the best attitude, he has upbeat at all times. But it is a massive effort for him to have been doing games the way he's been doing, especially when he's coming to the ballpark, and I you know that is he wants to be doing this. He would never retire early. And my you know, I talked to him briefly today and obviously I talked to to Dwayne at length, But when I talked to Kruk, I said, you know, Dwayne and I were kind of kicking around, like there's all these kind of fill in analysts, and obviously somebody is going to wind up being kind of the primary partner, we would assume, and there's many good choices. But I was like, you know, could you maybe be a guy that would be an occasional fill in like there's that happen sometimes, or even just come like guest turninning or two. And he said, oh, hell yeah, Well okay, you know this is the happiest thing I've been all day.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's very cool. I mean I remember when Lon Simmons came. I remember as a kid getting to hear Lon Simmons call some games because he would come back periodically and sit in and be there for five or six games of a home stand or something, and he would call a couple of innings and he'd be on the postgame rap. I mean, that's that's really the beauty of what this is is he can continue to touch.
Speaker 3: People and have impacts on so many different lives.
Speaker 2: And we've been taking calls all day season about it's really like the voices of summer, the voices of your childhood. I said, I can pinpoint moments in my life and hear Mike Cruco's voice, and I think for generation he's touched people. But really I love broadcasters that one do it in a unique way. They do it absolutely wholeheartedly with as most ingenuity as they can or being as genuine as they possibly can. And then also you learn stuff from him, and he's funny, like there's I don't even know which button you'd want to hit on or which topic you'd want to hit on, because you can't even you can't sum it all up into one sentence. Just like he said in his statement, he doesn't think he could sum up how grateful he is for his time to everybody.
Speaker 5: Right, Oh, he's great at everything. You're right, a one hundred percent right, And I mean, find the humor, the warmth, the you know, when you write a story like you know, I talk to a bazillion people when I when this news broke, and when you write a story about this, like you put out a ton of calls and he usually, you know, you're lucky if you get maybe half the people responding. Everyone people just write like everyone understands how important Mike Kruco is. But beyond that, everyone loves Mike Kruco there, it's just impossible not to. So he's just special and amazing. And you know what, I don't I don't think that what he's dealing with in body inclusion, body mitosis, I don't think it gets enough mentioned, because this is another one where we talk about you got to you know, get rid of cancer. You know that MLB has lots of initiatives about that. There are all the things about als. Look, this isn't This is one where it's not fatal. That this is a vibrant, healthy man with so much to give, and this has made it really you know, it's limited in him the past two years. And now he's got something of an early retirement. Yeah he's seventy four. Sure, that's past you know, regular retirement age, but broadcasters go forever and ever, and that's what we all wanted to see. So yeah, let's let's strike out this and body inclusion body mitosis.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 6: Definitely talking to Susan Sluster on the UMA guest line in talking to former players today about this news with my cruco and your opinions us and just covering the game of baseball for so long? Now, what do you think makes players respect broadcasters and like, you know, when it comes to my Kruco, obviously he played the game, but you talked to everybody today and everybody got back to you.
Speaker 7: What do you think makes it?
Speaker 6: What do you think makes players respect broadcasters and the way that my Cruco has well when it.
Speaker 5: Comes to the players specifically, just Kent said, it's his loyalty to the players and his ability to describe players in real terms that make listeners understand their point of view. You know, he is always rushing to give here's what a player might be thinking on this and that, and in a way that makes you understand what they're going through, what their options are, you know, in a in a very human way, you know, just not sort of nuts and bolts that the empathy is so much it comes through, and that's I think the players hear that, they see that they know him. You know, he's even still he's going out on the field and talking to players as often as he can. We see him out there, you know, as he can do it, and I think that goes a long way too. So he's just it's remarkable what he's done.
Speaker 6: Really, No, it has and in a lot of this news, Susan, I know a lot's been made of Krook and Kype get into Cooperstown together with him retiring. Do you think that maybe they would rethink this whole thing, because I think they've been against it. But to get the Ford Sea Frick Award together and Krook and Kype in tandem, you think that could happen.
Speaker 2: Imagine being against that as the Hall suits, He's still like, no, there's no chance we're not doing that.
Speaker 5: People in the Bay Area have been pushing this idea for quite some time, probably going back maybe you know, close to a decade. They're not on the ballot this year. Sadly, I would love there was one year they were both on the ballot, and I think everybody said at that point like do it, do it, do it, do it, And I don't look okay. I think they're worried about setting your precedent and then you got to put in this pair and then you to put in that pair. It doesn't have to be you know, the Hall is running the show. They can make votes essentially whatever, you know, whatever they want, the parameters, whatever, they want this, I think is a special case and I would love it now. I talked to John Miller, and John Miller said, you know what, I think they both are worthy of their own inclusion and they should be considered separately and go in separately. And I can see that, like don't you know, you don't dilute it or whatever. But it's Crook and Kuype Like it's hard to get away from the idea they do need to go in together. They're they're almost more than a team. They're like, you don't think of one without the other, You just don't.
Speaker 2: There is something to that that it might be kind of cool if like one of them got in and you got Kruk to do the speech for Kaype or vice versa, like to do the like that's see, that would be pretty sweet, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean? Like having having one and then the other would also be amazing.
Speaker 2: And funny, probably the funniest. Susan Slesser joins us on the on the UMA guest line. We've been we've been just it's really sort of forthcoming and true to ourselves season and talking about all these changes that have happened. I said, it's really special to me, the crew gets to go out on his own terms, that he gets to put this statement out, that he gets to enjoy these these final couple of months of Giants baseball. But we haven't shot away at all from what happened here at a cambr yesterday. And for many years you were covering the A's and Greg Papa the voice of the A's, and you are Chronicle Live and all that stuff. I just wanted to give you an opportunity, if you'd like one, to comment on any of that or your relationship with Greg over the time you were in Oakland.
Speaker 5: Well, absolutely, I mean Greg Greig is you talk about one of the all time greates that Greg is one of the all time and grades in multiple sports and as good a guy as you'll know, I mean great to young journalists, and the loads of fun. You know, when I first started on the A's, maybe the first ten or twelve years, he was still doing the A's broadcasts and the Chronicle didn't have the Sunday paper. Then when initially you know, the Examiner used to be the Sunday paper. So he's had saturdays off on the road, and there is nothing more fun than sitting in the stands and watching a game as a fan with Greg Papa because we had the opportunity, and that opportunity that a few times when there wasn't a broadcast or something on Saturday National broadcast or what have you, and like, I learned a lot and it was an awful lot of fun. And he's just you know, he's he's great to be around. So I was sad when he stopped doing the A's games, and I am this makes me even sadder because we all know what he's going through, we know what he's dealt with. What an absolute warrior he is. I mean, he's just indestructible and the force of will is just amazing. Yeah, he's an inspiration. I mean, I'm sure he probably would hate to hear somebody say that, but he's really an inspiration for this to happen on the heels of my colleague Garrett Branch's incredible story about Greg and what he's been dealing with is just astonishing to me. It's a yeah, I was a ghast. I've never used that word before, but I was a guest.
Speaker 7: No when it calls for it. And I appreciate all that you said, Susan.
Speaker 6: I have fond memories of that, you know, going to the coliseum with my pops and meeting you guys on the beatback then you Michael Urban Pedro Gomez like I have fond memories, yeah, Murpher a.
Speaker 7: Season, yeah, Ryan absolutely yeah no, So fond memories of that. And thank you all for the kind words.
Speaker 6: I do want to move over to baseball just real quickly, Buster Posey and his reaction to the trade deadline, just you know, him saying in the press conference or just the the the media zoom that happened after the trade deadline saying that you know, everybody was on the table. We did tell the other teams about that, so you know, we think that a lot of moves were made, but still a lot of guys are still on the roster. Do you think that maybe we could revisit some of you know, the speculation as far as Logo Web or Jung Hulei, like, these.
Speaker 7: Things could still be on the table in the off season.
Speaker 5: You know, Logan is the one guy that Buster said was not really available on it, and I think that's probably going to continue to be the case unless they got blown away. I mean, if somebody comes to them with a package that says, like, you know, here's two or a top three prospects, maybe you got to consider it. I don't know. I still I think even well, I don't know anybody else probably is a little available. Jung Who Lee might bring a little bit more because you know, he's got that South Korean market with him too. And the Giants definitely, you know, they value Jungu Lee of course, but they like having you know, an into an important market that they didn't have before.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 5: And they you know, obviously they sent a ton of executives to South Korea in the off season and this is uh, this does mean something to them. And it's been really fun kind of seeing that whole relationship open up a little bit too, the Jung Hu Ju Junghu crew and all of that kind of stuff, and having South Korean reporters following Jung Who in our media corps. That's all been a blast. But yeah, I think, you know, when you talk about kind of the big three contracts, I think we'll probably be talking about that every dread deadline every off season. It's just going to be awfully hard to move any of those deals because they are big and two guys have no non trades, but I think devs there's I think there was some interest. I think there was a little bit of interest, and some people kick the tires. I just don't think the Giants want to pick up, you know, half of a two hundred million dollars left contract just to move a guy, you know what. I think he's more valuable where he is, even if you're paying him, like, you may as well get something for that amount of money, you know what I mean?
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely, last one for you, Susan.
Speaker 6: Is it fair to say that it's probably not likely that Matt Shaman will return the season.
Speaker 5: I don't think so, and I don't know why you would. I don't think that the circumstances of the Giants are in Like if if they were in some sort of playoff push and there was a chance he could get back with rest and rehab, I know he would do everything he could. I just think that you want to knock this out and if it's you know, we certainly her hope it's not surgical unless that is the way that absolutely fix it, and which guy is great and then you know he's missing it. But if he needs rest and rehab, take all of the time you want, and then then he's like Casey Schmidt. Then you have a healthy off season, you can have your full workouts, be one hundred percent ready to go next season. I think you know either way is probably good, but there's just no reason to push it. And plus you can keep seeing all these guys, keep rotating through all these young guys and taking a look at everybody you can. They're going to be constrained a little bit by the potential labor stoppage and maybe not wanting to put guys on the forty man and keep them playing, so we might not see somebody like Parks Harbor as much as we would like to. But they've got a lot of really good options, and some of these young kids are really fun or good stories like Eddie's, Leonard's that's been great, and my gosh, what Bessabi's been doing. So I hope people are still paying attention because there's some interesting, fun stuff that will have repercussions in future years going on.
Speaker 2: Susan Slusser the Voice She Heard, covers the Giants for the San Francisco Chronicles. She joined us every week here on Dirty Work. Susan, we appreciate the time as always thank you so much. Joined the rest of the off day and we will talk to you.
Speaker 5: Shoot. Thank you, Susan, fantastic, thanks us.
Speaker 2: Good stuff there from from Susan Selester. Itaway came to our four and five ITA eight five sixty seven. Is that I'm gonna call antext Did you ever watch a game in the stands with with your dad and sless no nuts?
Speaker 6: I mean maybe I was so young during that time. It was I think student started on the beat in nineteen ninety nine with the A's, so you were what you were, I was eight years old years old. Yeah, but I remember, I'm like, yeah, like me and my dad go to the ballpark, you know, all the time, and you know when he was when he wasn't doing baseball games, Like I remember, one of my fondest memories is me and my little brother and him going, uh Father's Day from going from Oracle Park to the Coliseum. We did the double dip of watching the Giants and the Ags and the same day.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, it's fun. But yeah, I have fond memories.
Speaker 6: Dude, of God, him being the A's broadcaster and that crew, like it kind of felt like they raised me a little bit, Like I remember Susan Pedro Gomez the legend.
Speaker 3: And and you were like you grew up with Pedro, didn't you? And his kids?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Pedro I said all the time, like Pedro be sad me all right, pe Man, Yeah that was I think about that a lot lately with my father and his illness. Uh Pedro, Yeah, that that hit me deep. A couple of years ago. I think it was on Super Bowl Sunday. Yeah, it was really suck in years and the Chiefs and but yeah, I have fond memories of my father in Pedro, and I think reading his book, I remember who you are. Like, Pedro was about that with everybody, so you know, he connected with everybody that he worked with.
Speaker 7: He and my dad were so close, so close.
Speaker 6: And yeah, when my you know, my dad and my stepmom were, you know, having date night, they dropped me out the house and hang out with Pedro and his family.
Speaker 3: Was awesome.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, that's I mean, the the web you've lived through and it has been woven around you and the connections you've had just from people tied to your dad is pretty incredible. Eightaway KMBR is what I'm gonna call in tex I'm gonna do something really quick here, Kyle, I'm gonna take Pete's call. Pete, I'm waiting for a long time. Let's do it to get his thoughts in on on kruking kite. But I don't want them to wait anymore because he's done and slow, dude, And if you're in slow, you got to talk, SOMERU. Man, Pete, I appreciate you waiting on the line.
Speaker 9: Man, how are you good? Love the show.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you man, Thank you so much.
Speaker 9: So I got to go back to Candlestick when Kuiper was doing a Giant's vision and he was interviewing Bob Brandley on the field, and I had my young son with me. We went over to get his autographed. There was a crowd there and everybody's going, what do you want Kuiper's autograph for? You know, they're mocking us. So my son yells down to Dwayne. He says, hey, sign my baseball for me, And Kuyper turns around, looks at my son and says, if you can tell me who I am, I'll sign your baseball. So my son says, well, your kite. So he gets the baseball, he signs it, and now, of course everybody.
Speaker 10: Signed my baseball.
Speaker 9: Sign my baseball. He turned around, he walks off. So fast forward many years later, I'm in downtown San Louis and I run into Kruco at a clothing store that he used to advertise for. And that guy, Mike must have talked to me and my partner for forty five minutes about baseball and he answered every question we asked him. And I relayed that story about Kuiper taking the time to sign my ball, my son's baseball. He goes, you know what, I'm gonna go out to the car. When I get through here, I'm gonna call Dwayne and I'm gonna tell him about that. Well, now, fast forward to last year. Fast forward to last year in twenty twenty five, I go, you know, Kuiper's not going to be around, or Kruco's not going to be around much longer. I'm going to write these guys and relay this to see if they remember. So I type them the letter, I send it to Kuyper, I send it to Kruco. I give him a couple of T shirts, one of Ca Candlestick and one of CROYD Candlestick. Kruko texts me on my phone and thanks me for the story and bring him back the memories. I saw both those guys play and they're going to be a part of my memories of Candlestick. Both awesome. So I get a picture from Kuyper signed, really really awesome, just a great guy.
Speaker 2: Special stuff. They're they're they're very special guys, Pete. Really, I mean that's and the crazy thing is that what makes me feel special is we all feel so unique. I've got a good type story like that too, but you all feel so unique. We all do about these interactions we've had. And what you get to know after hearing all these stories and you guys calling, is they had this impact on so many people and it was so genuine because you can't fake that. As I said on the air, their relationship, the way they relay ball to us, Pete. I love that story because it makes it makes me feel like my story is special too, because we all get to share in those moments.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and then when you tune into anybody else, there's nobody compares to No, not.
Speaker 3: Even close, not even close. Appreciate I appreciate you waiting, Pete. Thanks so much, man. Yeah, dude, I was on. I was coming back from spring training. I think I told you this.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: I was coming back from spring training one year.
Speaker 2: I was like two thousand and four, probably twenty four or five, and my grandparents were staying with my Mamie in Arizona. They were going to stay for like the week. I just got to go for the weekend. I had to come back for school. I think I was probably a freshman or sophomore in high school. And they dropped me at the airport, and so I was flying back by myself and I'm in the airport. Is a Sunday afternoon. The Giants had played that day. We went to the game Sunday evening and I hear Dwayne's voice. I hear Kype's voice, and I'm sitting there. I was like doing math homework in the terminal and I like, here Kype's voice. And I look up and there he is. Dude, He's like sitting like fifteen feet away. Texted my mom, be like, Dwayne Kiper's right here. She said, go say hi.
Speaker 3: So I went up to me. I don't know what to say. I was like, hey, Kype, I'm a huge fan. I one time. I I don't know why said it.
Speaker 2: I said, I bought your I bought your rookie card at a card show for twenty five cents. And dude, it was the same card show when I met Jason Schmidt.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: And I asked him as that movie about Schmid about you, and he said, I's your hope, not yeah.
Speaker 3: Good line.
Speaker 2: But I said, I bought a rookie card at a card show for twenty five cents. Tell kype to this and he says, kid, you got ripped off, which is And then I ended up get on the plane. He was nice to be on the plane. I ended up sitting next to you. The people he was talking to were Jesse Fappert's like little leagueor high school baseball coach or something like that. Anyway, I was talking talking ball with another guy that's a present giant, So that was pretty cool. But everybody's got stories like this man. Everybody, everybody's got special stuff. Anyway, Cambre is a number to call and the number to text.
Speaker 3: Come on back.
Speaker 2: We can get some more of your calls and your thoughts on my cruco plus. Richard Realia joins us at four fifty and we got a lot of fun sound to get into a sound swore Cruco. We'll also do a sound score Greg a little bit later. Do we have just like a standard old sound score a too?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 2: Oh no, we've got some dips, dude, We've got the hard lead Danny's double Dips with.
Speaker 3: Kyle Harr but close enough.
Speaker 7: That's a mouthful.
Speaker 3: I don't know what we're calling it. Anyway. We'll take a quick break when we come on back. More of your calls.
Speaker 2: Plus, we got to tell you on a Thursday head, you're spending your weekend oh on the Dirty Work canbr unsponsored Bay Area Weekend Sports Calendar.
Speaker 3: It's next on The Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Oh Copeland and Derek Poppa where no job is too dirty on KNBR The Sports Leader.
Speaker 2: Dirty Work on a Thursday afternoon, Adam copelandepop hanging out with you.
Speaker 3: We do have a there's no night ers night, We donight. I believe Kruger on earlier.
Speaker 7: I think it's your sports phone.
Speaker 3: It's your sports phone with Ted Ramy, is what I read.
Speaker 2: Ramy's gonna be on rain Doed tonight and then tomorrow we're supposed to be live from fifty eight social I'm just gonna start saying supposed to be for everything I was.
Speaker 7: Supposed say, like, well we'll be there.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know, Well I'd be working, is the question? Well that is true, who knows?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 7: We got some some good guests tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Who's coming on tomorrow?
Speaker 7: We've got John Morosi?
Speaker 2: How about that talking talking hockey, talking some punt talk.
Speaker 3: I want to talk. I want to go macklim with Morosi?
Speaker 7: Why not? Why not?
Speaker 6: But we'll talk about the post trade deadline with him.
Speaker 7: Ted Winn from The.
Speaker 6: Athletic wrote that article about uh Kyle Shanahan and the top ten best play callers in all of the nfls.
Speaker 7: He'll join us as well.
Speaker 3: Good dude. He sits near me at to nighter game sometimes.
Speaker 6: And of course Marcus Thompson. I'll ask him, is Katie coming to the reunion?
Speaker 2: See if we can get a hold of Marcus Thompson. Yeah, we'll see see if we can get.
Speaker 3: Him on tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I go back out to the phones. We're talking a lot about Creuk and we are going to catch up with Richard Willie in about twenty five minutes at four point fifty.
Speaker 3: Also, we still got a lot of.
Speaker 2: Good sound we want to get into today before the end of the show at six o'clock. So let's go back out to the phone lines. Is this the same Hank who's always calling Hank's got thoughts? Dude, he's in the East Bay, Hank?
Speaker 3: What's U dude? You're on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 12: Hey, I just want to say today the celebration of Mike Kruko. Yeah, it is He's dream and I got seven facts about Kruko.
Speaker 7: Okay, how about three?
Speaker 12: No, but they're just facts. It's not even elaboration.
Speaker 7: Okay, all right, fine, Okay, here we go.
Speaker 3: Okay, just kip him kite.
Speaker 12: When they start out in the early nineties as announcers, they were called jocks in the box.
Speaker 3: Nice number two.
Speaker 12: Jocks in the box. Number two, Mike Kruco in his career, zero pickoffs. He's a little bit embarrassed by that.
Speaker 3: All right, Hey, that's a lot ofalization here, all right.
Speaker 7: Number three, number three.
Speaker 12: Okay, number three, twenty game winner in nineteen eighty six, pitching two hundred and forty five minutes for the San Francisco Giant.
Speaker 3: No, okay, I like that, all right.
Speaker 12: Number four, number four. His nickname on the team was Otter from Animal House. Due to both their resemblance and their way of kind of talking their way.
Speaker 3: Out of things.
Speaker 7: Okay, I like that amazing number five.
Speaker 12: Number Wow, I can't read my writing.
Speaker 7: Uh so we'll.
Speaker 9: Go with five. Okay, number five.
Speaker 12: I can't read five anyway, he's the best, and I can't read. I can't read five, six or seven?
Speaker 3: Come on?
Speaker 2: After all that, it hands back of my good graces. Bro heck, Henk's been coming in with some wild heads. Man, But I like what Henk calls with a list, and I liked it he had He said, no, I got seven?
Speaker 7: Really?
Speaker 3: How about three?
Speaker 2: He gives four and he's like, I can't read the rest, dude, he was on hold for so long.
Speaker 3: I appreciate the car.
Speaker 7: Can't read your hand running. I can't read my handwriting. No, we can't read, but I powered through.
Speaker 3: Dark hand writing? Does look like he wrote it with the foot?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you love that.
Speaker 2: Joke because it's pretty true. Could I write nice with my foot and Derek over his hands? I think it'd be close. What are you going, Daniel day Lewis?
Speaker 3: Does he do that?
Speaker 7: We did that enough?
Speaker 3: Remember people carry him around for that movie?
Speaker 7: Yeah? So I never seen the movie, but I.
Speaker 3: Know I mean either but I know, I know, I love this song for family. Guy.
Speaker 7: He's like, yeah, remember when I was on left foot? Yeah, I did my own rendition of my.
Speaker 6: Left foot, my left foot always next to the other foot.
Speaker 2: I got to the full LANs go to a mode A models in Sebastopol. What's up a mod.
Speaker 8: It's Bob.
Speaker 3: What's up Bob?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm in Sebastiol. You got right.
Speaker 8: Uh Uh.
Speaker 10: I love Krook and uh uh. And I was very fortunate being a Giants fan for many, many years of listening to Russ Hodges, Lawn Simmons N. Fifty eight, the first game ever Giants Dodgers. I was at Seals Stadium.
Speaker 7: You were there.
Speaker 10: I can't tell, sixteen years of age, how I got in there is in my book. I just published it. It's called The Lucky Fan. Nice and and Bob Samuel and it was. That was a great time. Those were great announcers. And I put Kruk right in the Kruk and Lon Simmons and Russ Hodges was just and Bill King.
Speaker 8: The four of them.
Speaker 10: Would have had a great time with each other. They all would have one thing about Krook that I've always wanted to ask him why when the camera's on him and and he's doing a game, why does he always have a ball? Maybe there's the answer for this. He always has a ball in his hand. He's rubbing that ball? Is he holding it? Is he got a slider? Is he holding his fingers on the on the on the on the string? What's he doing with's that ball? Why does he have the ball?
Speaker 2: I think I think he's talked about him before, Bob. I think I look, it's like a comfort thing, like if he just holds it, tossed it around, you grip it, you put on different grounds. I don't know why I've got a baseball in my hand right now. If there's a ball around here, I'm holding. Usually I was kicking a soccer ball around my feet for the last hour.
Speaker 10: At eight years of age, I slept with a bat ball. Admit, Is it the same kind of thing?
Speaker 3: Could be?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Maybe they said, yeah, I know that. That's like an old school thing too. It She wish Joe used to do that. He'd like sleep with his bat the Black Betsy, which is weird because he was like dyed with tobacco spits.
Speaker 3: I was like, that's a little a little much, Bob, Bob, where can we get your book?
Speaker 1: Brother?
Speaker 10: What crook leaves?
Speaker 8: I want to miss him?
Speaker 10: He was good, you know. To me, it's like missing Gary Radney's I love Gary Raddis. I miss him. Yeah a lot.
Speaker 3: No, I hear, I hear you. So your your book, Bob is called what the Lucky Fan?
Speaker 10: The Lucky Fan? Yeah, it's Heads of the Street. But they got a little problem with Amazon and the publisher. They're they're fighting over royalty stuffs. Yeah, I best the hardcover, the hard book. The hardcover book is out, but the soft the paperback they're fighting over. I don't know what that. I can't get involved that. I love writing it. I love writing about the forty nine Ers, the Raiders and Warriors, the Giants and the A's and all the history of that and all my family and friends and all the games we watched together and all the fun we had, all those great teams, owners, coaches, players, and all those stories. I know a lot of those guys. I played a lot of basketball with them on the off season, and golf with them. A great, great bunch of guys that were so talented. And I put kruk, I put kruk in that ball game. I think Kruk is has exception had exceptional skills in talking about a game that sometimes like this year has been horrible, but he has a way of saying it that doesn't make it sound like it's a real tragedy. It was not a tragedy. It's just a lousy season.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: And so his and.
Speaker 8: His his, his, his making mentioning that Pride Day was so beautif put yep yep, and that I agree with.
Speaker 10: Not many people would have had had the courage to come out and say that, including mister Posey, didn't have the courage to come out and say something that was really important to say. Kruk had the courage to do it, and he did it beautifully.
Speaker 2: He did appreciate it to call Bob, thank you so much. Man, call anytime. I like saying courage. It just made me think of that that Oh the boy that line didn't have the courage, didn't have the guts, that didn't call it.
Speaker 7: I did you think of that courage?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: That well he said, he said Buster didn't have the courage, didn't have the guts to call it.
Speaker 3: Anyway, came to heurs number to call and a text.
Speaker 2: Look We've had a lot of fun jumping through a lot of these memories, and there's some somber stuff in there as well. But there's one thing that always rings true, and that's that people around the Bay Area they tune into Dirty Work for really one reason and one reason only. They show up to try to figure out how they're spending their weekends, Dari, and we provide that service to you. And that's why, once again we proved to you the unsponsored can be our Dirty Work Bay Area weekend sports calendar sponsored by Surfside. It's not a seltzer at Surfside, proud partner of the Giants.
Speaker 3: Well, Derek, you know how weekends go.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there Fridays and their Saturdays, their Sunday.
Speaker 3: Sometimes they're Mondays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this one's This one's just a Friday, and it's okay, Sunday, Friday, August seventh, that's tomorrow.
Speaker 7: It is tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Giants face off against the Detroit Tigers at Oracle Parks seven to fifteen, first pitch, six fifteen pregame and yours, truly, ours, truly, you and me, we'll be there at fifty eight social tomorrow on the patio hanging out with all you guys, all the members of the field. Everybody wants to talk about what a crap week it's been.
Speaker 7: Come on down thro tomatoes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let us let us be your pin cushion for how you feel about canbr We'll be there in the flesh Yep tomorrow at fifty eight social.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 2: Saturday is, it's the eighth Well, dude, hold on, this guy's throwing around, Kyle Harr. I don't know what the hell's going on. You're throwing all different sorts of dates at me. It's the problem with the unsponsored Camby on Bay Area Weekend sports calendar and dirty workers in there somewhere too.
Speaker 7: Well, what's the problem.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know what happens on the calendar until until I read it. Yes, let's stick with Friday, August seventh, Also tomorrow the Golden State Valkyrie's face off against the Dallas Wings.
Speaker 3: Not at home.
Speaker 2: Oh, he went Saturday with Friday, Saturday, Friday Fridays.
Speaker 7: Oh, it's kind of kind of be an ortant.
Speaker 3: How about this? As he points out, Friday.
Speaker 2: August seventh to Sunday August ninth, it's outside Lands Festival in San Francisco Hey, Golden Gate Park.
Speaker 3: Young Tony will be there, so you should go.
Speaker 2: Friday's headliner Charlie XCX one of Derek's favorites. Saturday's headliner The Strokes. I Love the Strokes and a Sunday headliner. Rufus dessoul oh rufus, oh rufus not to be confused with h with rufus from Bill and Ted No divin rufus.
Speaker 3: Strange things are a foot at.
Speaker 2: The Circle o K Saturday, August eighth, Giants Wall of Fame Ceremony celebrating Brandon Belt, Brandon Crawford, Joe, Panic Buster, Posey and pop Low the Panda sand of all that's happening this weekend that's happening on Saturday, and check this out.
Speaker 3: It will not be televised.
Speaker 2: The only place, if not in the ballpark, that you can hear it is right here with an early broadcast from the Sports Leader. And then Sunday, August ninth, listen up Derek San Francisco speed Dating and happy Hour speed dating in Trendy. I like this in Trendy Hayes Valley for thirty and forty year olds at the Hotel Byron speed Dating yeah, you fit in that window.
Speaker 7: I could probably do that.
Speaker 3: Thirty and forties, would you do that?
Speaker 6: What's your name, Gina Nogina?
Speaker 3: Do some rouge on you? That's your candy.
Speaker 2: Our Dirty Work unsponsored Bay Area Weekend Sports Calendar sponsored by Surfside. It's not a seltzered surf said proud partner of the Giants.
Speaker 6: What I always think of that scene when it comes to speed dating from forty old virgin when but also like Paul Rudd and Mindy Kaling where he's like this, so this is so us psycho talking.
Speaker 3: That's so us. It's like psycho.
Speaker 2: All right, Dirty Work rolls on on a Thursday afternoon.
Speaker 3: We'll take a quick break when we come on back.
Speaker 2: How about some of the best Mike cru sounds that we could find for our sound swore Kruk.
Speaker 3: We'll do it next on the Sports Leader.
Speaker 4: And I can't read.
Speaker 12: I can't read five, six or seven sound sare No.
Speaker 5: I've whipped up this nasty little sarez the.
Speaker 1: Best sounds you might have missed?
Speaker 3: What honey, I think that means part.
Speaker 2: Would be Sports Leader Your sounds well kind of so sounds for Krouk for Thursday August sixth, twenty twenty six. Let's do it and it starts. Sounds were crook with Mike Kruco. See what'd you do here? You compiled some sounds you thought were great Kruk memories calls.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we got a few.
Speaker 6: Un there's gonna be other ones that fans want to hear, but we could do that another time. But yeah, these are just ones that came to mind today. Some nice calls, best one of this season, and some memories of him at parades and doing some hits on cam.
Speaker 11: Here.
Speaker 3: Well, here we go. Here's the first one.
Speaker 2: This is one where somebody texting in about this earlier where at one point Kruko tried to do all the different home run calls. Yeah, for all the different broadcasters, so John Miller, Dave Fleming, Dwan Kayper.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he did any others besides is it just those three?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Here here's my Cruco exercising his his skill set and doing the home run call as his broadcast partners high drive.
Speaker 3: To last it is.
Speaker 10: Gone.
Speaker 3: Well, I like he throws in theory.
Speaker 7: Yeah gone now that's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what would your home run call be?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: I don't know, no idea what was your dad's.
Speaker 6: I don't know if he had like a signature home run call.
Speaker 2: Run oh Clana, No, but I just did the Niner call for I remember, dude, I remember he would like mix in like stuff that was funny to me, like if I was in the booth with him.
Speaker 6: Miguel ta hat I hit a home run back in the day, I think his MVP season in two thousand and two, and we.
Speaker 2: Went galloping around smacking his He's happy Gilmore. Do you remember that, He's like round of the basis, He's doing a happy Gilmour thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So the night before this is back when you know, we were watching The Cosby Show on Nick and Night and there was a whole there was a whole episode about Cosby loving barbecues.
Speaker 7: And go Barbie Cue.
Speaker 6: So then Miguelta Hatta hits a home run near the barbecue side the coliseum and my dad goes, well, Magelta hot to Barbie.
Speaker 3: Cute that one.
Speaker 7: And he terms of me, he goes, oh you like that.
Speaker 3: And how do you like when I talk Cosby? Dude?
Speaker 2: It's pretty good, dude. Yeah, what was the other thing you love? Like the hogis or whatever you'd always eat in the Cosby Show.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, yeah, he love hooge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we should get off this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all right, moving on the sound snow for Cosby talk, Moving.
Speaker 3: On to the sounds Wort Kurt not it's not funny anymore, It's not funny.
Speaker 2: Ah, here's my crew, go these are Is this the speech I was talking about?
Speaker 7: There are two speeches?
Speaker 3: Two speeches here from what twenty ten and twelve?
Speaker 7: Yes? Oh no, sorry, last one maybe twenty fourteen.
Speaker 3: Better have the right one in here, Derek that I want to hear.
Speaker 7: You should have been here before the show. It just said it.
Speaker 2: I assumed it was the one that I wanted. It's the Oh my god, all right, we'll see. Here's Mikrugo. A couple of World Series parade speeches.
Speaker 11: And once again they could say it loudly. We are the giants, we are San Francisco. Where are the World champions?
Speaker 3: That's twenty ten.
Speaker 13: Your belief, your pride is the backbone of every accomplishment they've ever had, and it allows me to stand here before you again today for the third time in five years, and I could say we are the giants, we.
Speaker 7: Are San Francisco.
Speaker 11: So where are the world champions.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, we were kind nice, Yeah, we were nice. It was happier times, yeah, happier times.
Speaker 2: All right, more here from Mike Cruco in the Sounds wore Cruk, how about this is one that you mentioned earlier.
Speaker 3: Did you want to set this up? The Pride Night comments that he had?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I thought this was powerful, honestly, because I'm fairly new with this and I don't know how to talk about controversial moments like that, and I think Mike Kruco was unbelievable. So we were talking about what happened with Pride Night, I just referenced him because he said it best. So this is Mike Kruco earlier this year when asked about what happened with Pride Night with the Giants this year.
Speaker 4: I obviously respect the right for these guys to voice their opinion. I mean, that's that's what a lot of men and women gave their lives for leases for these ball players to do. Do I agree with it? We'll know. And I think that once you've lived in the Bay Area for a number of years like we have, you understand that the strength of this city is its ethnicity, it's its culture, it's it's it's the freedom for people and UH, to be able to come to a city and be free, and that's a powerful thing. And that's the thing about San Francisco that I love the most. And I think when you're a player and you come into this environment, it's your responsibility to know just how sensitive this city is in regards to that cultural freedom and religious freedom and just the way that you live your life. And I think they were root awakening with the response. And it wasn't just from the gay community. It was from the Northern California community that supports the gay community. This is what has been incredible, the way that the reaction has centered around the emotion that Northern California has for the gay community. An Killian's article was brilliant. It was full of outrage and if you read the comments from the people that had written in expressing their opinion and their disappointment and the Giants' players, and it was impassion And it wasn't just a bunch of trolls streaming bs. This was written by people that had deep thoughts and it was well written. It was an educated opinion and UH, and it was something that I think everybody should should read. When you come on and you put on a uniform and you represent the San Francisco whether it be in football, baseball, hockey, basketball, whatever, you have to be aware of just how impassioned the people are here.
Speaker 6: I mean when I heard that, I was like, I don't think I could say it better than that, because Mike, you know, he feels that and he knows this area. And I think that you know, the players can respect Mike Cruco, you know, being a former player and knowing this game and knowing pitching obviously, but also a guy that has a lot more experience than them and knows yeah, and knows more about life than them. So I hope those players came away having more respect for my Cruco and that moment and answering that question there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I heard that comment. I just entered my going no notes, nothing else. Let that speak for itself.
Speaker 2: Last one here that we've out for Mike Creger. You labeled it as the best call from this season. Here's Mike crew going the best call of twenty twenty six, maybe more.
Speaker 7: Than Tarp's off the Veldrid's knocked one out of here.
Speaker 11: Well, I'm gonna hold you to it.
Speaker 4: Time to drop trout.
Speaker 6: Hog out, drop trown hogout, and of course it led to the Grand Slams.
Speaker 3: He has the.
Speaker 2: Slam dropped trout and it's because they dropped trowing.
Speaker 3: Holo down, drop trout, you hog out, because they didn't believe that.
Speaker 7: Now, dude, I mean yeah, like it was.
Speaker 6: It's a goofy moment leading into a great.
Speaker 7: Call, greatest moment of the season so far.
Speaker 3: H that's good stuff there from my cruger.
Speaker 2: We got to take a quick break, Adam coupling t Pop, Kylehr hanging out with you. We do have a sound swore Greg that we're gonna get into, by the way, a little bit later, some great Greg Papa sounds from broadcasts and from moments here on KNBR that we just make us laugh out loud. We know it'll make you guys laugh, so we'll play those a little bit later. We've also got our our Danny's double Dips. It's actually hardly the dips, but close enough. With Kyle Harm, we'll do that at five point fifteen. Before we do that there, we got to catch up one of our favorites, number thirty five, former Giant shortstop Richaralia.
Speaker 3: He joins us next on d sports leader,