Speaker 1: Now back to Dirty Work with Copes and d Pop on one oh four five FM and six eighty Am The Sports Leader.
Speaker 2: Dirty Work on a Friday afternoon, Adam Copeland Deepop hanging out with you from the patio at fifty eight Social. Giants pregame at six fifteen and I had for a seven to fifteen first pitch Giants and the Tigers opening up a homestand and a three game series. It is Wall of Fame weekend for the Giants, as they're going to put five more players up on the Wall of Fame. It'll be It'll be Buster Posey, Brandon Crawford, Brandon Belt, Joe Panic, and Pablo Sandoval.
Speaker 3: Pretty big, pretty a good group. It's a great grove. Man.
Speaker 4: My question to you for a couple of weeks now is how fans can react to Buster Posey, And I think fine, and you have those group of guys together, I don't think it's'ud be like a maybe it's where he singled that at one point, but I think that fans know to separate what's going on right now with the team and what he's done in the front office.
Speaker 3: And some will still even probably a plaut for that, right now.
Speaker 4: But I think that a lot of fans will just remember Buster Posey the player, and that's the fair thing to.
Speaker 3: Do this weekend. Yeah. Also there's so many other players to celebrate.
Speaker 2: Brendon Crawford didn't get his flowers, Brandon Belt didn't get his flowers. Were just fantastic. And they did that Brandon Belt Day that was earlier this year, right, they do it Brandon Belt there. Yeah, they did the Belt Day. I think they did earlier this year. Yeah, so this year last, I can't remember. Yeah, all the all the l's are running together now.
Speaker 3: I only remember Bryce Olderch's Grand Slam. Yeah, that's the only funny.
Speaker 2: It's the only memory I have of Honestly, it's like playing golf. You hit like four hundred bad shots. Not that you would in one round. He shouldn't, or you'd be a really bad golfer, but uh you'd, uh, you hit like one good One's the only one you remember. Like, man, I just remember how that feel. So it keeps it keeps you coming back. You're attempted to it anyway. Yeah, I don't think oddly enough, Buster Posy, I don't think will be the focal point of this weekend.
Speaker 3: Nor should he. It'll be really cool to have Joe Panic back. Yeah. I'm excited to hear from him. And I'll tell you what. The guy who's gonna get the biggest ovation, it's Pablo's animal. Oh yeah, that's a guy against the Tigers.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I love that they're doing that. He should have his own day in and of itself. Don't forget he left and came back. Ye ll let Pablo pitch a guy with three home runs in a World Series game. One of my favorite things about Pablo Sandoval. And I'm sure there are guys off the top of my head. I'm just not thinking of any right now. And baseball is like basketball and the NFL. Really, Basketball and baseball become so systematic in the way that they do things right. The sport with the most identity or unique identities is the NFL now, because you don't get different, you get different styles of play by different teams based on their philosophies, their offensive philosophy, the defensive philosophy, or you're talking Mike McDonald being a brilliant defensive play caller. Baseball used to have that. He used to have teams that were heavy pitching teams. And you'd have the teams that played small ball. You'd have the Cardinals in the eighties, it would swipe a bunch of bags. You'd have power teams like it would. There would be a very style of play, and everybody kind of did their own thing, and now everything's just become sort of uniform across the board. Pablo Sandoval was what we'd call a bad ball hitter. And it wasn't just that he was a bad ball hitter. He could hit anything. Like bad ball hitters were guys that could hit. They would just roll out of bed and hit. Larry Walker was a good bad ball hitter. Vlad Guerrero one of the best of all time. Those are two Hall of Famers. I just mentioned guys who you could bounce. I remember there was one that, like a pitch bounced in front of home plate and Vlad hit it off the wall. Yeah, like he hit it like it was.
Speaker 3: A golf ball. Pablo was like that.
Speaker 2: You couldn't He didn't have a spot that you could throw to that made you feel comfortable. He would chase, but he was really really good at making contact. I think I told you the first time I ever became aware of Pablo I went to a single A game in two thousand and eight. My buddy and I went to a Sanjose Giants game, and he was the starting catcher and he was hitting third or fourth in the game. He homered in the game twice, once from each side of the plate, and was the starting catcher. He was hitting like three seventy or three eighty. When the game ended, we were like, My buddy and I were like, dam dude, this is gonna be It's be great if this guy worked out. Switch hitting catcher, Big pudgy dude had some speed seemingly around the bases, and I believe was truly ambidextrous. I think they said he could throw just as good lefty as he could righty for the most part, and became a third baseman once he came up to the majors. But they had the whole big money, little money. But the point is is he was in single A in two thousand and eight, and I saw him in May or whatever. By August or September, he was in the majors. He was by August he was in the big leagues. He skipped double A entirely sent him straight to Triple A. Continued to hit, and he became one of the best, most favorite giants of that entire era. And I think people forget he was on the twenty ten World Series team and lost his gig at third base. They were starting Mike Fontno over at third base because Pablo went through just an awful slump, and by twenty twelve he shows up three home runs in that World Series game.
Speaker 3: I was sitting up here in three zero two.
Speaker 2: Remember remember I was I was gonna break it off with that girl and she gave me the to Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was here for that. No, No, she did tough deal. Kylin. Sorry, I don't have to tell you, oh real quick. I was here for the ball game.
Speaker 4: Tell me your memories at Joe panic because he wasn't here for all three World Series, he was here for the last one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I mean, Joe Panick's one of the ones that I think about. He's the only I see, the only Yeah, it would have been like the only homegrown second basement. Like we talk about the three closers of the World Series years, right, you have Brian Wilson, of course, and you get Sergio Romo and then really it was Casilla that fourteen season. But Bumgarter nails it down in Game seven. Same thing for the second basement, right. I've talked a lot about them trading in nine for Freddy Sanchez at the deadline because they knew there wouldn't be anybody available. He's the second baseman in two thousand and it's crazy that all three second basement played major roles two in the World Series runs. He comes up, not comes up, Freddy Sanchez in his first three World Series at bats, first player ever have three doubles first three World Series at bats. Crazy fast forward two years later, First it's Ryan Fonton or not Ryan Terrio is the second basement. Then they make the trade for Marcus Scudro, who doesn't swing and miss for like a month and a half, basically makes all the contact in the world NLCSMVP, the great moment of him at second base with the rain pouring down, And then they move on again, and in twenty fourteen, at that point you get Joe Panicker comes up, Whin's up. I believe at one point winning a gold Glove was just the most solid two second basement type itter you could have through right, batted left, was a great slap guy, but had some pop could leave the ballpark. What I'll remember him for, and I think whatever Giants fan should remember him for, is Game seven in Kansas City, the flip double play, who I believe Jeremy Affelt was on the mound for that. I think a felt came in and like the second the third inning might have been like the second inning for Tim Hudson, who started.
Speaker 3: And funny thing is they knew.
Speaker 2: Huddy wouldn't get give him a lot, they knew he wasn't going deep into this one, but a crucial bubble play, the first ever reviewed play in a World Series game, and they get him by a nail. But the diving flip to Brandon Crawford, who gets up and rifles it to Brandon Belt at first. That's what I'll remember Joe panic for. Not a short not a long career, but a really really good giant and a fun giant.
Speaker 3: Dude made an All Star team at one point, I believe.
Speaker 2: So he came at the tail end of that era, and so it makes it a little bit a little bit harder to uh to outside to have the major moments in the major spots, because they've had what two playoff births since that World Series title in twenty fourteen. But that's all I'll remember is that incredible double play for a guy who was homegrown, and that they needed three second basemen and three different closers to win.
Speaker 3: Three World Series.
Speaker 2: It speaks to the stability of that core and with that front office and that coaching staff and what those players were able to do. And Joe Panic was just another incredible fit for it.
Speaker 4: No, I'm huge that first season twenty fourteen, but I remember twenty fifteen.
Speaker 3: He was out for all of that season.
Speaker 4: Most of that season, i should say, and he did weekly hits on Haberman and Middlcoff and I would talk to him every week, and it's hard to have a player on that's injured. So after a while I was like, Hey, you know, I know you're kind of like getting frustrated that you're not talking about, you know, being with the team. So what do you want to talk about? He goes, Uh, tell the guys, I'll like review movies. I'm just sitting on the couch watch a movie. So ask me what I'm watching. I'm like, all right, what kind of movies was watch? So Haman and guy guy in John are like, so, what are you watching Lately Joe and he's like, oh, you know, I'm watching Men in Black three.
Speaker 3: They're like is it good? No? Not really, And I was like, why would you t that up if you don't think it's good?
Speaker 2: No, no, it's not really. Can you break it down force? I could, I could want I won't, Yeah, I won't.
Speaker 3: It was it was that terrible.
Speaker 2: So I just gave you all the reasons I remember him. And you're like, yeah, I remember he watched Men in Black You.
Speaker 4: Know the connection I had with him where he was like, hey, teaming up for like talking about the terrible movies I watch.
Speaker 3: He's like, yeah, Men in Black three, it sucks.
Speaker 4: It kind of like when I brought up F one last year and I was like, yeah, Cars, Room Room, he's pretty good.
Speaker 2: You put it in the rundown and said Derek's review of F one and then said, yeah, there's some good shots.
Speaker 4: Some good shots. Uh, you know, brat pick goes fast. By the way, you know, they're making they're remaking, not remaking. There was a sequel, The Days of Thunder, which is basically F one.
Speaker 2: F one Days of Thunder, and they're remaking it. Yeah, probably because of the success of F one. I think we're talking about making a sequel to F one.
Speaker 3: They probably will. I think they will.
Speaker 2: I watched F one recently, one of those movies where I was like, good movies, surprise.
Speaker 3: It got an oscar. Not Yeah, it didn't need that.
Speaker 2: No, we don't need ten. How many times we gotta do this? No, five's fine, we don't need ten. I'm waiting for when we do our dirty work, hits filthy with the filth or whatever a little bit later, and they sit down and ask us questions again, if you're here at five point fifty tonight, Derek set up a microwall. Shane set it up. But Derek's like, yeah, we're talking to the filth today.
Speaker 3: Why not.
Speaker 2: You guys are here, you can sit down and ask us one question? Is it one question each or just one question only one total for both of us?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's kind of like I guess we'll genies give you three wishes, So for us, it's just one question like a genie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess, no, one question and one question kind of like a genie. I'm like, we're not granting with this.
Speaker 4: I'm not granted any wishes here, although I might if you give me a present of something.
Speaker 2: You bring a sick kid, We'll grant your wish. It's the only way it's getting done, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know. I don't know what kind of questions they'll ask, well, what would you project? What would you think? They probably asks a lot about me and my weird nature.
Speaker 2: You're weird nature? Yeah, I think I don't think you're weird. I think people are fascinated.
Speaker 3: They say that, but it's their nice way of saying, like, you're weird.
Speaker 2: Do you think I'm being nice or do you think I'm being being mean and thinking you're weird?
Speaker 4: Now I'm like a circus attraction for the show. Check out the free Yeah dance for me, Yeah, dance dance jes to it's my birthday.
Speaker 2: Ye bring me a pig eight away came here as a number to call the finus swine in the lad e Cambire on the board and text, I don't know.
Speaker 3: We're just killing time for her. He's still not there. Jesus, we get it. It is unbelievable. Wow, all right, we still got chips, chips, chips. You have you have another? You have another? Note?
Speaker 2: Did you make another infro or if you're hanging around longer, we're gonna need more content.
Speaker 3: Now we're good.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Cam, yours is the number to call and the number to text if you want to get involved in any of this conversation.
Speaker 3: You put this one down.
Speaker 2: I don't really know what this means. Big deal or no deal? NBA stories, just something.
Speaker 3: To talk about before Marcus comes on? Is it big deal or no deal? We'll do it next.
Speaker 2: NBA stories not a grab bag though, I really so, how about is this You're gonna throw them at me?
Speaker 3: And I decided this is a big dealers got.
Speaker 4: Down together like it's we'll talk about Kevin Durant and Pablo Torri's little report last night and are they big deals?
Speaker 3: Maybe that's a team we'll decide next.
Speaker 2: A Dirty Work on a Friday from fifty eighth Social only here on these Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Now back to dirty Work Adam Copeland and Derek Papa on k n B R one O five six eight am. The Sports Leader.
Speaker 2: Got a kid Chips Dirty Work with you on a Friday afternoon for the patio at fifty eight Social, Adam Copeland Deep Pop hanging out with the giants pregame seven to fifteen tonight six fifteen pregame against the Detroit Tigers. Talk more about that a bit later. We talked to John Morosi of the MLB Network and the NHL Network, and that's all available at sports leader dot com. A g McAuley, how's it going, and uh, the KNBR app or the v sports Leader app.
Speaker 3: Uh and if you missed it, we'll play for you again later. I'm the replay Leader.
Speaker 2: Marcus Thompson joins us at three point fifty before we get to that, though, you put this segment in here because there's just been a guest smattering of NBA news smattering sort of.
Speaker 3: Like off courts. No, it's all off court stuff. Yeah, nothing significant when it comes to playreck with in the NBA. Is anything ever about on quarters?
Speaker 2: And always just pro wrestling, it's always it's a lot of and then they go play battle.
Speaker 3: Lebron signing was of a big deal, isn't that off court? There's a lot of and then he's gonna play. It's gonna be on court eventually, Yeah, but it's right now. It's just by the way. So you haven't watched New Hard Knocks yet, huh.
Speaker 2: Now, dude, I again, I don't like the idea of hard knocks. Now what the concept we were gonna like, I don't need a Super Bowl champion hard knocks. I didn't need a Buffalo pills hard knocks. I want to see a guy who's fighting for his job. I want to see quarterbacks who are fighting for their careers. He I want to see.
Speaker 3: That was the point. What's the hard knocks? Okay, you won it all, you might finish second.
Speaker 4: But then when they started initially years ago with the Ravens being on hard knocks, when they won the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, but that team that's hard knocks. You don't think that.
Speaker 4: You don't think that the Seahawks of hard knocks was I was like.
Speaker 3: Does everybody accused of murder ahead of the Super Bowl? I don't think so.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll say this, like it's interesting to see Mike McDonald at a new light, like more goofy and the way he is as a coach, Like I thought he was gonna be more of a hard ass, but honestly, like he's won thirty nine years old, there's at one point where there's a there's a big fight on the field, and what was his name the one Pat Derek call. He had a good super Bowl and he gets into a fight with an offensive lineman. He grabs him by the throat and pulls him down, and then Mike McDonald's like, whoa, that's a little too much there, and then the defense yeah, and then uh, well no, he's he he's kind of like just like, I mean, I like guys, you know, get into fights, but I don't appreciate that. And the defensive cord it comes by and he goes, well, did you hear what the offensive lineman said to him?
Speaker 3: What he said? Oh, you changed that, you got a contract. He goes, I don't like that. That's not fair.
Speaker 4: You gotta call it another brother because of their money like that. So he goes up to me goes, hey, man, you know I'm all for like, you know, getting a little feisty and everything, but did you have to like talking about his money?
Speaker 3: Come on, like that's your brother, man, come on, I don't do that. And then he's like, all right, fairt coach goes okay, all right, no, hug Dad will all go It's not a bad episode.
Speaker 4: But then they go to Sam Darnald to Cooper Cup like, whoa you see this Lebron James just signed the seventy six ers, and like they're like they were, like looking at all the comments, He's like, can you believe that people give him crap going to a good team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we did the same thing. What's the big deal? Yeah, I'm sorry. Neither of you are Lebron.
Speaker 2: No, neither of you are at the peak of your private not that he's in the peak of his powers, but his impact. I think that felt a little different than Cooper Cups even last year. Yeah, I definite missed a lot of time last year.
Speaker 3: Last year, No he was there. Did he miss a lot of games last year?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Did he miss a check of two years ago? Then with the Rams, I don't know, man, all.
Speaker 2: Right, they were just winning ball games hand over fist and honestly like he was playing a lot opposite.
Speaker 4: It's a solid episode, and I still think the Rams could be pretty good. Seahawks will be good this year too. Niners will be good too. I just I don't know in the same vein as those two teams.
Speaker 3: All right, let's get into these these stories, these stories. Deal or no deal, Big deal or no deal.
Speaker 4: Okay, So the Kevin Durant Twitter reaction with Klay Thompson and Draymond Green. I'm gonna say, yeah, a little bit of a deal here because when it comes to the Warriors days with Kevin Durant, I always wondered, as you look at those times fondly, and to me, this one interaction was very weird, like I remember, yeah, you kN Katy and Draymond getting into it like Katie's closest friend. I mean, I think he was tighted with Zaza too, but really it was Steph Curry and Katie or not actually knows Clay and Zaza.
Speaker 3: I never mind.
Speaker 4: I don't remember Clay and Katy being particularly close. But this one interaction online was so weird where it's just a normal like Poleacher Report thing where it's like compair of these dude teams. You got the upcoming seventy six ers and the Warriors of twenty seventeen, so who's better. And Kevin Durant, probably thinking he's on his his burner account, responds saying, oh, you gotta say the seventy six ers. This guy's an MVP. That guy's an MVP. Klay Thompson hasn't been an MVP of nothing.
Speaker 3: O, brother, you got it? What you good? You gotta use my full government the yeah, And that's.
Speaker 4: A great response by Clay Thompson, and then Draymond responds being like, well, I thought Katie must have thought that he was on his burner account.
Speaker 3: So it's not a big deal.
Speaker 4: They're all like fight each other and they're not gonna do a reunion anyway because all them are still playing.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna ask Marcus, like, do you think Kevin Durant looks at his time with the Warriors fondly because he's always where he's kind of downplays it or doesn't want to come back, which I totally understand. But these guys took pride in that team. Steph, Claye, Raymond, all those guys do. And I don't think Kevin Durant does.
Speaker 2: No Again, I think I think he remembers that era differently, and I think because his career hasn't reached anything close to the level it reached when he was with the Warriors, Yeah, he feels different about it. I do wonder like, if you gave you know, I'm big on giving guys truth serum, if we gave Kevin durant truth serum and said, if you could go back and do it all over, would you have gone to Golden State.
Speaker 3: I'm not so sure he would have.
Speaker 4: I think he also would have said, if I had to do it all over again, would I've stayed and just had another deal with them?
Speaker 3: Well, that's two different, two different things, you know, if you could do it all.
Speaker 2: Over again and the get go, Because again, that's really the point in which it changed his image.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, remember what I said yesterday.
Speaker 2: I'm a firm believer that had he stayed, not only do they compete for more titles, his image changes across the league. Because then it's not just like you went title hunting to join it team to beat you. It was like I joined a team I found, came that team found happiness. That's where I wanted to be. This is my home. I'm a legend in Golden State. This is my legacy, much like Lebron's in Cleveland or Kobe's in LA Even though it's a different situation, people would have felt differently about it if he had stayed with the Warriors and played eight nine years there, seven eight years there, if they committed right rather than what was he there for three three years?
Speaker 3: That's what I mean. So every year was a one year deal.
Speaker 2: And if he had locked in and stayed and was like I like it here, I'm happy here, I want to play. This is the place I want to be. I love the food here, I can still do on my trap.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 2: Had he done that, I think he's viewed differently because not only would they have continued to win, but to your point, it would have looked like true happiness, like Okay, I found where I wanted to be, versus like Lebron where we knew he always was like I did my job here, I'm coming back to do it in Cleveland.
Speaker 3: I did my job there. I want to go be in La Laker. That's what I want.
Speaker 2: We all knew that was the case. I think Lebron really did want to end his career there. Then they make the trade for Luca and everything changes yep, and he's like, Okay, this is not they don't want me to be here, and that's or for the duration of my career.
Speaker 3: So we just have different is going forward.
Speaker 2: So like back to the Kevin Durant thing, like if he had done it again and could stay, I don't know, but I do think he's gotten more. It feels like he's more outwardly bitter about the era then he has been, at least publicly previously.
Speaker 4: Or maybe he's just a basketball head that answered the question honestly and he just thinks about it like Uncle Drew. Yeah, like like like Raymond said, Uncle Drew. But at the same time, like does he need to say that about Clay like it never been an MVP and nothing like Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: Yeahs, Like, yo, bro, what did I do on man? Like I ran you out? Come on? He's like, I wasn't yelling at you on the dock in LA. That was this whole public thing. But make of the stall. You know you're throwing that at me Jesus Okay.
Speaker 2: So to summon all up, not a big deal to me?
Speaker 3: Yes or no? Yes and no?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, what's is it a big deal? Because it doesn't affect anything.
Speaker 3: It's a deal.
Speaker 2: What I would say is it doesn't affect anything, kind of confirm something that I already felt to be true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean, but it kind of solidified it. Okay.
Speaker 4: Now, as far as the Kawhi, Leonard thinks So Kawhi Leonard scandal, and we all know what went on with Aspiration. Pablatory last night revealed that Kawhi was paid by Doctronix, a scoreboard company, to endorse their product, but much like Aspiration, Kawai never actually did an advertisement for them, so he just took the money. It was a way to circumvent the salary cap the same way that see Palmer did with Aspiration and got another company in this.
Speaker 3: So this is a deal. It is. But you know what, yes and no for me, okay. I give a ton of credit to Pablo Torri.
Speaker 4: He's one of the few people out there still doing journalism, so props to him for doing this.
Speaker 3: But me, as a sports fan, you know, take it from dumb and dummer, I don't care. I just don't.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, Like I think that people do shady crap all the time behind the scenes, and I know it's very public and Kawhi Leonard's a big time player, but if you're asking me as a sports fan, I get it. This looks bad, but I just want to see him play for the Raptors. At this point, I really don't care.
Speaker 2: I really care about where he plays to be honest with you. You you're hold on your reasoning for not caring, is people these shady things all the time?
Speaker 3: Yes, I don't think that's a good reason.
Speaker 2: So now we should just let things happen because it's happening everywhere.
Speaker 3: You got caught, partner, this is not allowed.
Speaker 2: You can tell me up and down it happens everywhere, but this one is public, and this one is making news and is making noise. You can't say, ah, well, dude, I'm sure other guys were gambling, like Pete Rose. I'm sure it happens, so it's just whatever. Let him know, dude. No, this circumvents the salary cap. What's the purpose of the cap if we're just going to be allowing teams to circumvent it. I am not opposing you, I'm not. But you're saying is shady stuff. I'm saying I'm not. I'm with you on the idea that there's a ton more things happening behind the scenes than any of us are aware of. I'm also against the idea that, well, it's happening everywhere, so then we stop it. So you put a stop to it here and you clamp down on it elsewhere. It's against the rules. What's the point of blurring the lines on the rules. Why would we blur the lines on the parameters. We're gonna go, ah close enough to a first down? Where does it end, Derek, where does it end? Well, that's what we want. So you're talking about playing a game as opposed I'm talking about what allows the player to play for this team in that game. We're talking about rules that allow that player to play for this team within the game. That the rules are very strict within that game. The rules are strict outside of the game too, But we're gonna circumvent the rules and.
Speaker 3: Just allow it that. I mean, like, I'm not I'm not up at arms about it, but.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna say I don't care because everybody's doing it.
Speaker 3: To me, that's more reason to clamp down on this.
Speaker 4: I get what you're saying. But at the same time, we say all the time, like do what you can to get that player right.
Speaker 2: That's not within I don't mean like in whatever, Like, am I upset at the Clippers for doing it? Not? Not particularly like I'm not upset about that. That's what I'm saying, but it is against the rules, and you got caught doing something.
Speaker 3: Against the Yeah, okay, so then where are we stopping? How many rules get me broke into what?
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna compare this to Pete Rose games. It's different, Okay, I can get it. I made an apples and orange comparison.
Speaker 3: That was intentional.
Speaker 2: That's the nth degree of it. What I'm asking you, though, is where does it stop? Then? When do we allow it to continue? So you can say so you're gonna say, well, other players are doing it, okay, So then what's next? Can we give guys real estate? Can we give guys property? Can we like in soccer in the.
Speaker 3: Mllll all the time at college football for years? Again?
Speaker 2: Does that make it right? Or are we just gonna say, well, it's happened, so just keep going. Why do we allow just because we think and we know what's happening on a major scale, that's not reason to say, well, let's keep the fake rules in place.
Speaker 4: And so are you up in arms? When the Astros got Poppular's cheating scandal.
Speaker 3: I wasn't particularly about them.
Speaker 2: I was more like, wow, it's pretty clear this is a wide ranging thing, and I was That's why I was understanding the players themselves were not clamped down upon the same reason. I wasn't outraged by steroids because I'm like, we don't we know it's so widespread, we don't even know where to stop it, which means we have to go to one source and try to change the rules. I wasn't a fan of, well, if everybody's doing it, keep going. No, I'm a fan of we know it's so widespread that this is bad. We've got to put a stop to it to make sure the game is what we as fans believe we're seeing.
Speaker 3: This is.
Speaker 2: This is apples and oranges to that, because again, this is about finances and about how far can a team go, And this to me is like big slimy corporation stuff, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: We're like, that affects every corporations owned basketball teams.
Speaker 3: Individuals do as well.
Speaker 2: Individuals own basketball teams, that's true, and they've used their connections to circumvent rules. So to say this is I did. If you're gonna say it doesn't you don't care and doesn't affect even fine, But I'm like, but it does because other teams may or might not be doing it. Are the worriers doing it, Like you might not want to be surprised, might not be mad if your own teams doing it. But I think that this is a story, and I think it's important that this gets stopped. Okay, that's where I'm at. But to say, like, if everybody's doing it, then do who cares?
Speaker 3: Change? Then change the rules to say we can do that because the league doesn't want that.
Speaker 4: I don't mean to be known so nonchalant about it, Like what my reaction is? I get it, like, I respect the fact that Pablo Torri is reporting on this and it is a story. But for me personally, I read the details, I'm like, all right, yeah, I'm not surprised by.
Speaker 2: This, right, But being not surprised it's different than thinking this is not allowed and it should be stopped.
Speaker 3: It probably should be stopping. Yeah, but like you mean, I'm not surprised.
Speaker 4: Me as a sports fan, I'm like, I kind of don't want this investigation just ends. I can say, kawhi wan to play for the Raptors at this point.
Speaker 2: How many Raptors games you're watching? I don't know how many Clippers games did you watch? That affects you less? I kind of want to see him back in the Champion remember that one year he played there once? Yeah, who can't be his old tea?
Speaker 3: You want to see?
Speaker 5: Why are you ding?
Speaker 3: I want? I want to see Kawhi let it go? He always got a few years left in the league. Why are you dying to see him play for the rap die? And I just want to see like the trade happen? You want to see that happen? Save? I want to see Max Cross. We played for the race over under five and a half Raptors games you watched this season?
Speaker 4: Probably under Yeah, you don't want you don't even care, You don't care about any of this.
Speaker 3: We're we're caring about you know what you cared about? And sat? Did I filling.
Speaker 2: A three thirty second athletic joints us each and every week? He's the best sports rider in the Does he care?
Speaker 3: Do we wait?
Speaker 2: After the segment, We'll do it next with Marcus on The Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to Dirty Work with Copes and d Pop live from fifty eight Social at Oracle Park before Tonight's Giants game. On The Sports Leader.
Speaker 2: It's Dirty Work on a Friday afternoon. What a fun week it's been from the package from the Path. You're at fifty eight Social getting ready for the Giants and the Tigers.
Speaker 3: The sun's trying to peek out. Yeah, we're trying to poke out a bit. Hello, I'm here, Hey, Hey, what up? What's going on?
Speaker 2: Come on by the fiftieth Socials getting ready open in just a little bit here and we'll be sitting down with some members of the filth about an hour, nearly two hours, about hour forty five, about five forty five. You guys are around, if anybody's here, got hope, fuck you imagine we'll do the we'll do the getting filthy with dirty work and we'll I guess, Derek, we're going to allow members of the filth to sit down and ask us one question, one question only our follow ups alot, like no follow ups or clarifications or like.
Speaker 3: If it's only tacky, willn't ask questions and maybe we just.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now, if Pat Age is here, he's gonna want to say yeah, he's gonna have rock, he'll have a question.
Speaker 3: So you got there's three questions there.
Speaker 2: If there's if these people actually show up that claim they're showing up, I think those guys will show up I think they are too, so, I mean, and who knows, it could be it could be a trivia question that might be fun. Okay, somebody dropped a trivia question. What do you think, by the way, about that note that I dropped on you, Well, we saw it yesterday. You and I were sitting in the studio, yeah, doing the show, and it was starting a break and I pointed up at that note on on TV about Aaron Donald if he joins the La Rams no team in NFL history as ever, it's not a surprise to me really because there's very few guys who have won multiple Defensive Player of ther awards anyway, and to end up on the same team. I mean, how many in the Salary cap Era have won multiple Probably just a handful JJ.
Speaker 4: Russ Smith, JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, Lawrence Sally cap Era.
Speaker 2: The Salary cap Era, there's no I mean, it's very rare, which is why this is gonna be monstrous because the notice note team has ever started two players with multiple TPO wise in their career.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so if he comes over and it sounds like he's going to Like last night, my Florio on the broadcast was saying some matter.
Speaker 3: Of days where oh yeah, I'm Aaron Donald showing up.
Speaker 2: I think that's it. I'm by the rest of teller. But I didn't even say this at the top Marcus Thompson. We moved him to four four thirty. Marcus Thompson will join us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I mean, I'm not gonna act like it's the same Aaron Donald. Like, it would be unfair for me to be like, well, it's not the same Deebo Samuel, it's not the same Aaron Donald. It's two years removed from playing and we'll talk about it more when it becomes official. But Aaron Donald still is Aaron Donald. Like, he doesn't have to be one hundred percent of Aaron Donald. Like if it's him with Miles Garrett and he's doing the same thing he did with Von Miller.
Speaker 3: He's not that he doesn't have to be the guy.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's what we've talked about with literally with Lebron, Right, isn't that what Lebron's goal was to find somewhere where there was enough around him where I can still be a focal point of a championship team, Right, But I don't have to be the guy who makes it all go because Lebron at his prime was scoring thirty a game and distributing better than anybody, making guys around it better. He's like, I can still do a lot of that. I just can't do it for thirty nine minutes tonight. It's not gonna happen at the same rate. And the same can be said. I think about Aaron Donald, which is why he's even considered. Like, if they don't get Miles Garrett, I don't think this is a discussion.
Speaker 3: No, not at all.
Speaker 2: If they just get Trey McDuffie, I think it's uh yeah, Trent McDuffie. There you go, yeah, Traylon Burkes, Trent McDuffie.
Speaker 3: Oh was that Titans receiver? Now he's part of the Commander, But was he a Titan? Yes? He was. He the guy they drafted after they traded away A. J. Browner, they were like, we'll fix this. Yeah. Was that that was? That was? That was? Was that ran Carthon? That was my boy traded him?
Speaker 4: I thought, yeah, yeah, I don't know if he traded him, but my boy ran yeah, your boy ran Uh No, it was the guy from the Patriots that was originally with Mike Vrabel.
Speaker 3: Ah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, so I when.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but when it comes to Aaron Donald on the Rams, like yeah, well it'll be something and we'll see when it actually happens.
Speaker 3: Here because the Rams are going back to their facility.
Speaker 4: They were probatic seeing An lmu for a little bit of time, but now they're going back home and sounds like that's when Aaron Aaron Donald will reunite with Sean McVay.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's the guys to win Defensive Player of the Year twice in their career.
Speaker 3: Okay, at least twice. JJ White, There's.
Speaker 4: Dude, there's not very many in the sarra oh salder cap barra.
Speaker 3: Right, go ahead.
Speaker 2: There's three guys who have won three, and you mentioned one of them, JJ Watti.
Speaker 3: There's everybody who's won at least two.
Speaker 4: Lawrence Taylor joined he won three, Aaron Donald and Aaron Donald.
Speaker 2: Won three seventeen. And by the way, everybody who's won three went back to back at least once. Ok it's pretty incredible. So Donald went back to back seventeen eighteen, then he won twenty. Watt went back to back fourteen fifteen, but he also won twelve. He won three of four. Yes, he did, and Lawrence Taylor eighty one, eighty two and then eighty six. Okay, there's another guy that has it, won three, he's won two. There's now there's one, two, three, four, five. I think six more guys who won two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, Reggie White, Reggie White, of course, Alan Page, Alan Page, no, okay. Bruce Smith, Bruce Smith, yes, ninety and ninety six, Jack Lambert, Nope, no blunt nope, Jack Ham no. Oh man, the earliest, no, I this would be the earliest one.
Speaker 2: Mean, Joe Green, So he's the earliest of the multiple layers, and he went two of three singletary one at eighty five and eighty eight.
Speaker 3: That's right. Reggie White eighty seven and ninety eight. Ok.
Speaker 2: Bruce Smith ninety and ninety six, Ray Lewis two thousand, in two thousand and three, Miles Garrett twenty twenty three, and twenty five. So when we go to like the modern era, they're just arn't I mean, like really in the modern game, Ray Lewis, Miles Garrett, Aaron Donald, JJ Watt.
Speaker 3: Are the only four two of one two?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Would you say that?
Speaker 2: Because like that's that's all post two thousand, right, that would be in the NFL's changed so much since since prior to two.
Speaker 3: Thousand, so I'd have to say, like, yeah, it's it's.
Speaker 2: Unique that you'd end up with like a Donald and a Garrett on the same team, but you wouldn't be looking for the same production from from Aaron Donald. It's just it's incredible what they could pose. You asked Ted new Win earlier in the show, and it's kind of made me laugh because Ted is such a great analytical understands the game at a level and a place that I don't watch the game from in terms of his film breakdown in the schematics. But you asked how they'd used Aaron Donald, and you asked them a great question about how he sees him breaking down, Whereas if you ask me that, I'm like, how the f you think, bro?
Speaker 3: He's in there to mess dudes up while it gets after the QB. But your question was.
Speaker 2: More about schematic and plugging the box and all that, and really the like how good are the We thought the Rams were the best team in the division in the conference before.
Speaker 3: The projection of Aaron Donald.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you add him and it's like anything they get is found money.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's all on paper.
Speaker 4: But yeah, when you have two future Hall of Famers on one side of the ball, that's gonna be insane. And let alone what they got on the offensive side of the ball right now with Matt Stafford and Davante Adams.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's gonna be a lot.
Speaker 4: Speaking of Hall of Fame, you got the Hall of Fame Ceremony, tomorrow, Hall of Fame, Wall of Fan Well for the Giants, NFL.
Speaker 3: Hall of Famous Tomorrow Race it is, Yeah, we want to get into that.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: We got your guy, Drew Brees going in. Happy about that, dude, I don't stop. I forgot about that.
Speaker 2: I forgot until he walked his birth mark ass out on the field last night.
Speaker 3: He was going in. So yeah, Drew like that. He's not Captain America, Shane. He didn't save the city of New Orleans, dude, Well he did with his cher. No he didn't, dude, No, you know he didn't. So Drew Brees is going in anything.
Speaker 2: It was Steve what's his name with the diving at what was the block? Glease, Steve Glees and he shout him out. Yeah that's my guy, Gleason.
Speaker 4: I know Gleason over Brees Breeze going in, Lukeickley going in, Larry Fitzgerald going in, Adam and Terry in.
Speaker 3: Of course locally Roger Craig going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'll be sweet. Man with Rodger Craig, it's cool to see him out there, long overdue. You know, it's not Belichick, no Belichick.
Speaker 4: No, which is crazy in itself, but as far as the guys are going this year, Like, I I get what you're saying with Captain America and Drew Brees, but the guy did accomplish a lot of I.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you have my back man. Yeah, yeah, the guy accomplished a lot as a QB. That's it, That's all I got. Yeah, he was good QB.
Speaker 4: I mean the passing young numbers, unbelievable, his battles with the forty nine ers, that unbelievable playoff game in twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: A man, when Downte was doing the show and them, did you get Drew Brees camp dude, remember his head just like moves one direction.
Speaker 3: That was a Ram Brooks. Brooks I was a Niners.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we're like little head is like it's the most it looks it's a helmet stays in place, but his body could towards the like just like to thrown.
Speaker 2: His body just gets ripped. His head stays one place and then it follows it.
Speaker 4: I was like the Great Kazoo, where like his his head just like stays like it felt like it was so big, but like it just moves and his body like does it go with them.
Speaker 3: I don't think I've ever asked you this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you did not grow up a forty nine er fan, but you're a diehard football fan. Yeah, and you've seen I mean, you've seen how many times the Niners have made the playoffs. You see it often? Yeah, yeah, you're accustomed to it. Okay, you're used to that happening. Sure you watch the playoffs? Yeah, yes, so you've seen all those Niner playoff games. I have, what's your favorite forty nine er game? Just that front win or lose?
Speaker 3: Your favorite game you've.
Speaker 2: Watched that the Niners were in, Uh, like from a from a neutral if you could be a neutral fan.
Speaker 3: I think I want to say I was asked this on forty nine er day. Was it like?
Speaker 2: Was it because I gotta go for me? Like the I mean that Eagles game last year is a day I'm a good one.
Speaker 3: That's not my favorite.
Speaker 2: That's not my favorite. It's gotta be for me. Twenty eleven NFC Division One.
Speaker 3: I love watching it. Yeah, that's it was.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know they won it, and as a Nighter fan, I wouldn't feel the same had they lost it. But I think that's my favorite forty nine Ers game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and a lot of fun watching that game.
Speaker 4: And I thought the Saints are gonna win that game because they were this high flying offense. The defense of the forty nine Ers that year were unbelievable. But yeah, going into I mean at the time, it was, yeah, they played that game it Candlestick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so dreams run of dreams.
Speaker 4: And the Saints come back in that game where twice and like the last two minutes, I want to say it was Darren Sproles caught the screen route and went the rest of them the way.
Speaker 3: Then Jimmy Graham to.
Speaker 2: Be Graham catched the test on to go back up, and then you get the Vernon Davis toesch.
Speaker 4: I thought the game was over, and then three Alex Smith comes back and has a touchdown pass to Vernon Davis of course earlier, the touchdown run which my dad will always say, like he should just he should not have sqular, she should just fell down the one yard lines gone to out.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that one I mean too, he Caughtity Coddity caught it in ninety eight.
Speaker 3: It's incredible.
Speaker 4: The Giants Niners game where the Niners get back try John ket damage Johns.
Speaker 3: Get to fourteen.
Speaker 2: See, these are like, that's why I mean, it's the games of my childhood. These are the ones that are that are my fairst So what's your favorite.
Speaker 3: Probably the twenty eleven game that the one I was. I was in college.
Speaker 4: I was in Austin watching my friends and as soon as we had some Saints fans that were hanging on with us, and they were like, oh, that's over, Jimmy Graham with a touchdowns over, And I was like, I think so too.
Speaker 3: This is this is all by way of saying, who's the losing quarterback of that game? Drew Brees. That's what I thought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, yeah, we gotta get some stuff done. We'll talk more Hall of Fame a little bit later, by.
Speaker 4: The way, real quick, Yeah, it sounds like Matt Shamman has done for the season. He's gonna a specialist in Philadelphia, and it sounds.
Speaker 3: Oh my bad. Yeah, yeah, I was, I was gonna do I was gonna do it. Oh my bad.
Speaker 2: Sorry, No, you're good. No, since you, why don't you finish that? And you get to read that though, that's how that works?
Speaker 1: What is this?
Speaker 2: Since you?
Speaker 3: Since you want to you want to give all the info? Now, oh my bad?
Speaker 4: You get to read the word The dugout Health Reports sponsored by Kyser Permanente a better idea.
Speaker 3: For health care?
Speaker 4: Yeah, uh, except one to your health health there. I'll pull up the tweet here real quick.
Speaker 3: I got out, Well you can, you can pull up the tweet. But I do have the report from the Giants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as they gave out just a little bit of goes you said, Matt Chapman is going to have season ending uh abdominal surgeries A right?
Speaker 3: Is that where it's going? So you can get the PAVs tweet up.
Speaker 4: But I do have And he's flying out to Philadelphia to see a specialist on Sunday and expects to have season ending surgery on Tuesday.
Speaker 3: He has a hernia and been playing through it it most of the season.
Speaker 2: Well, I got I got more information than you do. He's gonna see he's gonna see doctor William Myers in Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: William Meyers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bill Myers. Uh, that's the science guy. Yeah, Bill Myye, the science guy. He's gonna go see him in Philadelphia, as you said, for phill evaluation, possible surgery. Uh, next week, but he's gonna miss the remainder of the year. How about New Giant who they were hoping or they are hoping to get back. We got that from Boston for Eric Miller. Marcelo Meyer. Yeah, bone stress reaction in the left ulna. That's a that's up here, okay, Olla, that's up in your arm. Anyway, he's expected Dirks and they say August or September. He's gonna report to San Francisco on August fifth. I saw him post yesterday video. He's already here. Took a little photo of the Golden Gate Bridge. He said, I'm here in San Francisco. So Marcelo Meyer getting ready to join the team. Matt Gage that left elbow strain and he's gonna return. They say sometime in the second half. Started throwing off flat ground and he's throwing progression is about at sixty feet, so those are the closest guys to return seeming way as it stands right now.
Speaker 3: And that's your dugout reports sponsored by Kaiser Permanente.
Speaker 2: Well done, brother, well done. You know what else, it's time for people don't know how to spend their weekend. They don't have computers, they don't have phones, they don't have newspapers because nobody really does anymore. But that's why we provide a service to you. And that service every week tells you how you're gonna spend your weekend. It's all part of the can b are unsponsored Dirty Work Bay Area Weekend Sports Calendar sponsored by Surfside. It's not a Seltzer, it's surf Side, proud partner of the Giants.
Speaker 3: There it is there, it is. I was waiting for that to start.
Speaker 2: Well, Kyle Hord now on the ones and twos, as we frankensteined our boardop together today we had a little bit of chips McCarthy we'll take We're like buffeting. We're like, we'll take some McCarthy, we'll take a little bit of horror, and we'll also tell you how to spend your weekend.
Speaker 3: You know, today's Friday, Derek, I do Friday starts the weekend.
Speaker 2: Yes, Today's Friday, August seventh through Sunday, August ninth. That's all weekend long. The Giants are facing off against the Detroit Tigers. Where's that happening, Darren? Right here, right here at an Oracle Park as we see it outside of fifty eight socialll come on by and hang out.
Speaker 3: Saturday.
Speaker 2: That's tomorrow, August the eighth, The Giants Wall of Fame ceremony celebrating Brandon Belt, Brandon Crawford, Joe, Panic, Buster Posey and Pablos Animal.
Speaker 3: Where's the music? Yeah, Pod, I'm reading that again.
Speaker 2: Saturday, August eight, Giants Wall of Fame Ceremony celebrating Brandon Belt, Brandon Crawford, Joe Pannic, Buster Posey, and Pablo Sandival. The whole bit is that the Dumb song plays undernew the.
Speaker 3: Whole the whole thing.
Speaker 2: It's the how many I mean, one of Earth's greatest musical compositions. Perhaps it's very fine, I would say so. Friday, August seventh, that's also today, Derek. I don't know if you know that the Golden State Valkyrie's face off against the Dallas Wings.
Speaker 3: Though that's in Dallas. That's not here.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's out in Dallas, all right, Big d Dallas, Friday, August seventh. I love he gives me the date every day, every time he does it. Need to Sunday August ninth, you know it as outside Lands. The festival's going on right now in Golden Gate Park. Young Tony will be there, so you should go Tonight the headliner Charlie XCX, Tomorrow the Strokes, and then on Sunday Rufus Desoul headline.
Speaker 3: How about that, Charlie, She's so fancy.
Speaker 2: And then Sunday August ninth, meet Derek Papa at the San Francisco speed Dating and Happy Hour in Trendy Hayes Valley for a thirty and forty year old speed dating session at the Hotel Byron.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yeah, that's my life now that criteria. For a second, I was like, wait a minute.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, all Ada is welcome, by the way to meet Derek at the speed dating session. And that and that is your unsponsored canv Our Dirty Work Bay Area weekend sports calendars sponsored by Surfside. We will take a quick break, very quick actually, it's probably a few minutes long. I was just saying that as I stalled, so I can figure out what we were doing next. Marcus Thoms is going to join us now as at four thirty.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about Roger Craig.
Speaker 2: Let's talk more Roger Craig when we come out back. He's going into the Hall of Fame and well deserved. Eightyway Camby are four and five eight eight five sixty sevens. If you got thoughts on Roger Craig, No, not that one, the football one. Oh, we'll do it next only here on The Sports Leader.
Speaker 1: Live from fifty eight Social at Oracle Park. This is dirty work with Copes and d Pop on The Sports Leader.
Speaker 3: At the Rams.
Speaker 1: In week seven, Craig played the game of his life.
Speaker 2: Hey for the end, put down forty nine er.
Speaker 3: He is the best back in the league right now.
Speaker 1: He rushed for one hundred and ninety yards, scored three touchdowns, tottdown and ripped off one of the greatest runs in NFL history.
Speaker 5: But the drop the middle of the Gregg Andy Bright who loads and runs loose. He got heart from the thirty to the twenty nine. He's out of the twenty Greig Cloth again. Up an tank, you're the run.
Speaker 2: By Run You're in prime nice pretty cool, Oh, pretty good stuff.
Speaker 3: There, Joe Starkey, Americas Films. It was an America's game, America's game.
Speaker 4: The nineteen eighty eight forty nine Ers, which a lot of fans would say was the worst Super Bowl team because they went ten and six, but still memorable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's so funny.
Speaker 2: We think about that same way as like the twenty twenty one NFC Championship. I don't think about that as a bad team and help, but they were three and five, finished ten and six, and they lost that then NFC title game to the to the l A Rams. Dirty work. On a Friday, We're live from fifty eight Social. We got the Giants Wall of Fame ceremony tomorrow. Five World Series champion Giants going on the Wall of Fame, Buster Posey, Brandon Bell, Brandon Crawford, Joe Panic, Pablo Sandoval. How many of those guys have Buster's got all three, Pablo's got all three, Crawford has two, Belt has two, and Panic has won.
Speaker 3: There you go, so pretty cool that all three.
Speaker 2: Of those guys are going into the the Wall of Fame at all, all stars at some point for the Giants all spend at least five years here, multiple world titles. You're not gonna find a better collection except for the Hall of Famers, the five Hall of Fame giants from the San Francisco era with better accolades. But even those guys done total the world titles that these guys have, those guys have the career numbers. But also it is the Hall of Fame Canton ceremony tomorrow after the Hall of Fame game last night, Cardinals and the Panthers, and Roger Craig is going in. And I don't think any Nyer fan, not that there's going to be ever to be a dispute from a fan base about a guy from their team going in. I don't think there's a Niner fan that watched Roger Craig play that wasn't upset that he wasn't in the Hall of Fame, that did not have the take like Giants fans. San Francisco Giants fans are like, yeah, it doesn't mean anything until Bonds is in.
Speaker 3: Craig's not at that level.
Speaker 2: But we're like, there's no like, he's a guy that you bang the drum for at least the guy that you the pound the dirt four and say, hey, we need this guy in the Hall of Fame, and he deserves to be there. And I want to get into some other future ones potentially, because there's probably like four or five other guys who are not playing. Because George Kittle, I think is a Hall of Famer. Yes, Mike Evans will be. It doesn't matter what team, but he's obviously a buccaneer. He's Christian McCaffrey's a Hall of Famer. I would say Katt Williams is a Hall of Famer, you know. I mean, so there's a series of guys that will go in that are active that will associate with forty nine ers football.
Speaker 3: McCaffrey probably here over the Panthers, right because.
Speaker 2: I would say so of his years and success, but it really it'll be a split career mostly by the time he's done, but it'll be a little bit more here. I think. Bottom line is Roger Craig was probably the top of the list after Bryant Young got in for the long standing guys who had not been in the Hall of Fame yet, and he was out for longer than Brian, You was right, young played more recently.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you were talking about pounding the table. I mean Matt Mayo has been pounding the table for quite some time. When it comes to Roger Craig, he was eligible in nineteen ninety eight, and we talk about receiving running backs, He's the guy that broke the mold. Like Christian McCaffrey is able to do this because Roger Craig did it at a time where running backs didn't catch passes at this volume. Right, it's insane, Like go to his nineteen eighty five season. Give it to me, give me some of those He rushes for one one thousand and fifty yards nine touchdowns, but then he catches ninety two balls for one thousand, sixteen for six touchdowns.
Speaker 3: He's the first running back ever to have a thousand thousands.
Speaker 2: Unbelieva and he did it in won a sixteen game season. Yes, yeah, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: So, I mean he did that nineteen eighty eight. We came with the highlight in and.
Speaker 2: I'm by the way, I'm I'm a big believer, Like I'm not in on putting guys in for one big season or one accolade like that. I don't think that one thing won achievement in a season, doesn't know, dude. But because of as we get further away from it, even in a season where we're playing seventeen games, the further we get, we see how rare that is.
Speaker 3: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: Prior to that, like Roger Craig was scoring three touchdowns in the Super Bowl against the Dolphins. So no, it wasn't just a one off season like nineteen eighty eight. We came with the highlight an amazing game against the Rams. One of the more his memorable run, I guess is in that game where so many guys are trying to tackle him his high knees, and Bill Walsh always talked about he looked like a caffish in the backfield because his eyes would get so big. I mean, yeah, Roger Craig, you made the argument that maybe he's the best running back at fort nine or history, Like, yes, Frank Gore has the stats and the longevity.
Speaker 3: Mcaffick's in the conversation as well, Ricky Waters.
Speaker 4: So they think about all the receiving running backs they had, Like Bill Walsh wanted to have this West Coast style of offense where I mean, we see it today so many running backs are catching passes at the backfield.
Speaker 3: Just look look at this week.
Speaker 4: You had Bjeon Robinson, Jonathan Taylor, and Jamier Gibbs all get contract extensions.
Speaker 3: And really the guys that are gonna.
Speaker 4: Be you know, as far as like the best running backs of football, it's b Jeon Robinson and Jamior Gibbs. And what sets them apart from other running backs because they can catch the ball out of the backfield. In my opinion, more so, Jamier Gibbs, like b Jehan Robinson, set the le or led the league in yards from scrimmage. But really it's Jamiir Gibbs. He's so explosive, and really you need to be that type of athlete these days. You need to be a running back that impacts the passing game. So at this point, Christian McCaffrey has already eclipsed most of Roger Craig's numbers. But Roger Craig was the guy that set the standard. There is no Marshall fault with our Roger Craig. So I'm baffled it took this long, and he had great performances in multiple Super Bowls.
Speaker 3: So I'm very happy that Roger Craig is getting in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the question I have then is, because you mentioned Ricky Waters, how many other former forty nine ers are we are we waiting to go in? Well, obviously Frank or Frank Gore is the top of the list and he's probably gonna get in fairly soon, fairly soon. But this but we've talked about the waiting and how they're only but it's a very weird system.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 2: It's it's a funnel system, right where it gets voted down to a certain number of players, and it keeps getting weeded down, and then they only put in an x number each year, five guys or something, especially.
Speaker 3: By position too, like when it was announced that.
Speaker 4: Okay, So, like Niner fans, their reaction to the Hall of Fame ceremony this year is like, Frank Gore didn't get in?
Speaker 3: What the hell?
Speaker 4: Well, Roderic Craig got in? Oh okay, all right, Craig, I'll take that. And you know what, even Frank Core would say, it's time for Roger Craig to get in. But I told you and a lot of people like, it's gonna take some time for Frank Or to get in there, and even next year Adrian Peterson it's his first year of eligibility. You don't think Adrian Pearston's getting in over Frank Or.
Speaker 3: I think so too. I think so he's gonna wait some time there as far as other forty get in. Yeah, Adrian Peterson absolutely, he won an MVP, didn't he? Yes, yeah, he was a better player. Come on, No, I'm not disputing that. I'm not disputing that.
Speaker 2: You're talking No, I'm talking like, longevity is a thing, Okay, Like in the NFL specifically, I hate ripping a guy or taking something like, yeah, look how many years he played.
Speaker 3: To get to the third? What is he?
Speaker 2: Thirteen yards or fourth and yards ever? Thirteen yards all the time, third in rushing yards ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm like, in football, more than anybody in any sport, I think it's important to.
Speaker 3: Credit longevity, especially at that position where.
Speaker 2: We're like guys turn thirty or twenty eight and you're like, ah, boy, that's probably it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he's never gonna be that guy again.
Speaker 2: He got to like thirty eight and played for eight more years or something, didn't he it's give me that thirty eight, twenty eight and.
Speaker 3: Plays for like eight more years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, he played for a long time, forty years. I'm not knocking that. I'm just saying, like, I'm with you. I agree, I just like I don't like taking it away. But again, that's a guy. They're gonna look at ap and say he's one of the all time great town.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and he deserves to.
Speaker 2: Be in it.
Speaker 3: I don't dispute that at all. But they're not gonna put in two running backs at the same time.
Speaker 4: It was weird and I was not the or was not going to be a first ballot Hall of Famer like that, because even though he played for a long time, I think writers gonna be like, well, what's his signature run, what's the signature season. Yes, he had played it. He had a fantastic career. But as far as like I hate the not gonna give the arguments. Was he ever a top five position?
Speaker 3: Who cares? I know he's in.
Speaker 2: I know, it's just how these guys think. It's It's my reverse of the Oscars. Why do we have to have ten Best Picture nominations?
Speaker 3: Why do we have to cap in five? Well, you know, I don't know the riber reason when it comes to the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Switched it to Mayoka explain it to us, and it is a very convoluted it is tylers shouldn't be that condent.
Speaker 3: No, it shouldn't like it should be where the best guys go in.
Speaker 2: We all it's funny because we all agree most of them will at some point, but we're like, then, just do it.
Speaker 3: I don't know why. I don't know why we're waiting twenty years to put in Roger.
Speaker 4: Because they want they want some guys to have to earn it a little bit, which I think is ridiculous. Like Roger Craig wait a long, long, long time. He deserves it. Frank gorstridn't have to wait like five years. It should be like gold Jaggets. I know a guess in the next like two seasons here, but they'll probably make him wait. They'll probably make him wait because I think despite the fact that he played for so long, I think a lot of sports writers think that they're not impressed by Frank Core's career.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Frank Gore, I think it's in. Here's the question I'd ask who gets in first? Frank Gore or Joe Staley.
Speaker 3: Oh cause Stale when is he eligible retiably?
Speaker 4: Soon? Probably now twenty twenty. Yeah, he probably eligible now. I would say Frank Core. I would say Frank or for Staley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's just that running backs get produced at such a higher level in terms of who's it can and I feel like that's Staley because of what we're talking. Position wise, Staley will get into he might because everybody agrees he will go in. He will and so but it's just like, I would it surprise you if Staley went in first just because of the position.
Speaker 3: It wouldn't.
Speaker 4: I think that Frank Gore is more of a name that I think sports writers will remember. But Joe, Joe Steely will have his time. It's always like some random year where you know a guy that's been eligible for quite some time.
Speaker 3: You know a guy that's you know, multiple Pro Bowls, all Pros. For Joe Staley will come out of left field. I go out of nowhere.
Speaker 4: You'll be like, you know, Mayoka Wild Tell's like there's Momentabaldy for Staley this year, but like why this year?
Speaker 2: They're like, who's given the speech? He's like mcglinchy. They're gonna karaoke the speech together at the Hall of Fame. Yeah, Adam Copeland deep pop with you on the patty of fifty eight Social Giants and the Tigers that out of seven to fifteen first pitch, we'll have pregame for you at six fifteen right here on the Sports Leader. And we also any members of the Filth coming out and hanging out five forty five will do a dirty work. Gets filthy with the filth, Is that what you're calling it? Yeah, get dirty with the films, dirty with the films. Right, dude, you come out and if you're heart five forty five, Derrison'll let you pull up a chair in a mic.
Speaker 3: And you can ask us one question, just one question. One. That's it. You try to compare it to a genie and I was like, that's way different. Yeah, it is different.
Speaker 2: As I said, we're already wishes. We're only granted wishes if you bring a sick kid. Uh. We came the artist over to call and to text me. Even then, and even then it's questionable. We'll take a quick break when we come on back. The best sports rider in the country joined us each and every Friday, Marcus Thompson of the Athletic We'll do it with him next, only here on the sports Leader