Speaker 1: Listen to the Sports Leader anytime, anywhere. Download KNBR, the Sports Leader app. Murph and Marcus continue live from the Casino Matrix Progressive Jackpot Studios.
Speaker 2: Casino Matrix.
Speaker 1: Progressive jackpots are here.
Speaker 2: Where are you?
Speaker 1: Just drop in.
Speaker 3: 1-800-GAMBLER.
Speaker 2: There's no question we've got the.
Speaker 1: Best in the booth. That's why Murph and Marcus catch up with Krook.
Speaker 3: Right now.
Speaker 1: On KMDR 104.5 FM and 6 in the AM.
Speaker 4: All right, we love it. We love talking to Mike. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, Johnson won two in a row. They're going for a sweep today. Man, another bad injury to a starting pitcher. Lots to talk about. But before we get to any of that, Mike. I heard you do it last night on the broadcast, and we've been playing rejoins all morning. Let's open with the global morning for Dolly Parton. Now, you're a music guy all the way. We know when the crew goes get together, man, the instruments come out and the sing-alongs get going. And I could only imagine Dolly coming to your house for a sing-along is the collaboration I needed, Mike, because you guys have the same kind of energy and positivity. And just your thoughts on, you know, your kind of career was when she was a superstar, too.
Speaker 2: So good morning.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Mike. Yeah, good morning.
Speaker 5: A sad day. I mean, she was a gift in so many ways. You know, in my life, you kind of get pigeonholed into a style of music and whatnot, and you kind of bypass it. And then later on in my life, I would find these singers that were amazing. I remember one time I was in a record store in San Luis Obispo, just killing time, looking at albums. And I hear this woman singing. in the music store. And I'm listening, I'm going, damn, that gal's amazing. And I went over to the guy at the, behind the desk. I said, who's that singing? He goes, well, that's Ella Fitzgerald.
Speaker 3: No. Well, I get it.
Speaker 5: Like one song, I could get all the fuss. And I, you know, I, I didn't know anything about this gal.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: And then I dove into her and whatnot. I did the same thing with Frank Sinatra. I discovered him late and it was that way with Dolly Parton. I mean, the first time I heard her, was, I mean, I couldn't believe her voice. As pure as pure can be. And the other thing about her, I mean, Dolly Parton, I would hear a song and I'd say, that's a great song.
Speaker 3: Did she write that song? No.
Speaker 5: Dolly Parton wrote that song. I'll bet that happened a dozen times in my life. And so she was just a star and wasn't an accomplished musician, but her voice was just, it was so pure and so good. And she had so much fun. And when you watched her perform, she brought joy. And she was just happy. She was doing what she was put on the surface. And she knew it. And everything about what she did was fun. Even Dollywood. I mean, everybody raised their eyebrows. My son went to Dollywood when he was touring in Tennessee.
Speaker 3: And he said, Dad, it was unbelievable.
Speaker 5: It was so much fun. And I think that's the way she was, and she just brought happiness to a lot of people, certainly to our family.
Speaker 2: I'm going to kind of go off the grid here.
Speaker 4: I know we'll get to the Giants in just a second, but all the tributes that came out yesterday were so amazing.
Speaker 2: This is one from the late Roger Ebert. Did you see this? Do you remember the movie reviewer Roger Ebert? Oh, yeah. He and Siskel and Ebert. He wrote this. This is incredible.
Speaker 4: He goes, in Dallas for the premiere of 9 to 5, the movie 9 to 5. I had an uncanny experience, and on the plane home to Chicago, I confessed it to Siskel. I had been granted a private half hour with Dolly Parton, and as we spoke, I was filled with a strange, ethereal grace.
Speaker 2: This was not spiritual, nor was it sexual. It was healing and comforting.
Speaker 4: Jean listened and said, Roger, I felt the exact same thing during my interview with her.
Speaker 2: We looked at each other. What did this mean?
Speaker 4: Neither one of us ever felt that feeling again. From time to time, we would refer to it in wonder. She was almost like this Angel, Mike.
Speaker 5: I think that's a great way to describe her. And, you know, when you have– when you're around a person like that, when you feel a person before you actually see them in the room, you know.
Speaker 3: You can't help but stare. And it's a point.
Speaker 5: I mean, staring is rude. But it isn't when you're around a person like that because you can't take your eyes off them.
Speaker 3: And she was that way.
Speaker 5: I mean, she was magical, man.
Speaker 4: So anyway, I knew you would be, and it's a big story around the world. So anyway, we thank her for all the gifts. It's sad to be in a world without her. But on to the baseball.
Speaker 2: Mike, they won. And I know we got to talk about Adrian Hauser. That was really, really tough.
Speaker 4: But how do you sort of explain– These lineups the last two days, Turner Hill at cleanup, Shea Whitcomb at third, Anthony Molina on the mound. Guys, Giants fans, you have to be a super hard-o to even know who these guys are. How do you explain them winning two in a row?
Speaker 3: Defense.
Speaker 5: The defense the last two days have been spectacular. I've always believed that the sure sign of a baseball player is their first step on defense and their first step on the base pass. And that was really in full splendor the last two nights, especially in the outfield. I mean, you had, you know, you had Turner Hill and you had Drew Gilbert and you had Grant McRae and they were amazing. Those are the three center fielders right there. I mean, but if you watched, you know, their first step to the ball, I mean, it was almost like when a.
Speaker 3: Ball was hit, they all moved.
Speaker 5: That first step was going at the same time as the ball. But it was hit in center field. I mean, even the corner outfielders were, you know, that first step was going to the ball. And it was just so choreographed and beautiful. I mean, to me, that's what makes a game. I would prefer to have a team behind me more so than an offense every time when I was pitching.
Speaker 3: Because they make.
Speaker 5: Plays and they take away 90-foot mistakes. And that's what the Giants all year long have done consistently is they give 90-foot mistakes. The last two nights have been the other way. Those are really, really fun games for me. We're learning Turner Hill's game right now. He's a guy that does a lot of little things. It reminds me of Mike Yastrzemski. When Yastrzemski first came up, it was fun to watch how fundamentally sound he was.
Speaker 3: Everything was perfect. He didn't have a great arm, but he.
Speaker 5: Had a great system. He had tremendous accuracy.
Speaker 3: He had a really quick Well, it's the same thing with Hill.
Speaker 5: I mean, he goes out and you watch his footwork. When he's playing left field, he's a left-handed outfielder. So when he goes over to the foul line, he catches the ball and he threes it before he gets the ball to throw to second base. And his footwork is so compact. You know, guys have footwork, but their strides are longer, and it takes them longer to get rid of the ball, not him. And that is something that, you know, he– I don't know. You're not born with that. That's something you have to figure out, and you have to be taught, and then you have to perfect. And he's got a bunch of things like that to his game. So if you look at what we saw, you know, Koss was saying, you know, he's a really good shortstop. And, you know, we're really impressed with.
Speaker 3: Shea Whitcomb.
Speaker 5: I mean, this is our first chance to see him. Here's a guy that plays three infield positions, the ground pick by Houston. And now I see what all the fuss is about. You know, he has a nice glove and a good arm. And, I mean, you can say the same thing about Furman. So you've got a lot of these young players that have gotten to the big league level and there is a more complete, there's a more of a complete of them as a player. They're not just offensive. They're not just defensive. You know, they have some game and the defense the last two nights, you know, that really stood out to me.
Speaker 6: Mike, it was an interesting start for this Giants lineup yesterday with Brady Singer's decision to throw behind Drew Gilbert on his first pitch of the game, then comes back, bounces one off his Evo shield off his ankle on the second pitch of the game. Now, we all know that there was a dust-up in Cincinnati earlier this season. Were you surprised to see some of that bad blood still spill over this late in the season? And do you think some of that bad blood will continue in today's getaway game?
Speaker 5: That was really odd because what happened in Cincinnati was a big nothing. There was a couple of guys wolfing. And nobody was involved. I mean, I have no idea what that guy was thinking about.
Speaker 3: I really don't. And, you know, I mean, he wasn't involved in the game.
Speaker 5: I mean, Drew Gilbert wasn't doing anything disrespectful in Cincinnati. So I guess just for him to single out in game two, I mean, I don't understand it. And, you know, and plus, singers from Florida, those guys are usually pretty mellow. If you have somebody who's going to chirp like that and throw it, they're usually from North Carolina. But I don't know. I didn't understand it.
Speaker 3: Plus, he threw at him twice.
Speaker 5: And then when he hit him, I'm surprised that he didn't get tossed. He could have. I mean, in today's game, I mean, they have a zero tolerance for throwing at guys. Well, it was freaking obvious he was throwing at them. But, yeah, I thought that was weird.
Speaker 2: Was weird. And Terry Francona manages the Reds. He's old school. Yeah, that's kind of part of Tito's game.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, he is old school, but that to me still was bizarre. You know, I mean, if you throw behind him by three feet, if you're going to hit a guy, you're going to throw behind him. Because the guy is naturally going to fall back away from the pitch because he thinks it's going to be in, and he'll fall into it. And he missed behind, and then he goes back down and he hits him in the legs. So, I mean, at least he hit him below the belt. But still, I mean, it picked off a bunch of guys over in the Giants' dugout. And I thought the biggest hit of the game, when Singer put on a hit batsman, a walk, then another hit batsman, which I didn't think was intentional, it got to Drew Cavanaugh, and he comes up and he gets a base hit that puts in two runs. If they don't get a hit there, the momentum goes right into the Reds' dugout. If he gives you three guys for free to set the bases loaded and you have a no-out situation, you don't score anybody there, that momentum goes right into the Reds' dugout. So for Cavanaugh to get that hit and cash in two times in that first inning and give the Giants another lead, I thought that was the biggest hit in the game.
Speaker 2: For sure. It was a, it was great.
Speaker 4: In fact, just a little moment on Kavanaugh, three knocks last night. And you know, he's hitting two 53 on base of three 52.
Speaker 2: There's no power. He has no bombs.
Speaker 4: And his OPS is only six 16, but behind the dish and at the plate, I'm just kind of wondering the other day we asked you about Pat Bailey.
Speaker 2: You said he's a great backup and he is, he won two gold gloves and all that.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Is drew Kavanaugh like good enough to be the giants backup catcher in 2027?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't even know if he's a backup. I mean, I think if I'm looking at the situation now, it's a platoon. Kavanaugh would play against right-handed pitchers, and Zusak would play against lefties. I don't know how it's all going to unfold right now. We're still learning Kavanaugh's game, but I'll tell you one thing we found out about him. When you have a situation where you have a starting pitcher of the opposing team throw twice at your leadoff error, and he hits two guys in the first inning, everybody gets an attitude in the dugout. your fighters, they emerge because they get a real good focus going. And you learned a lot about Kavanaugh when his guy got hit. He went right into fight mode. He was hoping there was an instant where something would break out and he would go out there and do a rat-a-tat on a couple of guys. Well, he took it out on Singer and the other way. He did it with his bat. And I just think that situation when you have an opposing hitter opposing pitcher hit one of your guys, everybody elevates and everybody gets ticked off. But you find out who your fighters are as to how they perform in that game. They may not get in a fight, but they're going to have a good day with the bat. And Cavanaugh, in my mind, his stock went up yesterday, just the night he had after.
Speaker 3: Two guys got drilled.
Speaker 5: He had three hits in a walk. He had his best night or best day or best game ever in his young big league career. So we're still learning about him.
Speaker 6: Mike, last question for me on the two pitchers that both left the game early the last couple days. Carson Wisenhunt, we got the report that he does have a torn UCL, so he'll be heading towards Tommy John surgery. And then yesterday, Adrian Hauser leaves the game with an elbow injury as well. Mike, we know that this is a part of the game for pitchers, but your thoughts on both of those guys leaving the game early and how that affects the Giants' rotation moving forward?
Speaker 3: It's just horrible.
Speaker 5: I mean, you rarely see two guys go out back-to-back and go out early in a game. And I just tipped my cap to the bullpen. I mean, they really rallied the last two days. But we're waiting for the MRI return on Hauser, and hopefully it's not another Tommy John that has to be thrown his way. But you don't trust, you know, twinges and elbows this late in the season. I mean, this is August. And, you know, guys have been throwing a long time. And you see arms going down, guys breaking down all around the league. So it is the era of the game. You know, when I pitch, you had, you know, guys that had three, four pitches. And a lot of them didn't even have change-ups. The fact that these guys are now throwing five, six, seven types of movement, seven different types of pitches, it stresses out the arm. And I think they're more subjected to Tommy John and arm injuries now more than ever in the history of the game simply because they're throwing more types of pitches, especially pitches like splits and change-ups, which... accelerate the uh the arm speed there those those pitches when you throw them as a pitcher uh your arm speed is actually faster than that of a fastball and uh the negative side of the throwing motion the side of your motion that stops your arm after you throw it it gets overloaded and you see guys break down on the shoulder and the elbow all the time so it's just a matter of the way that the game has evolved uh it has evolved into where guys are are now throwing many more movements, and it's definitely stressing out their arms. But to see it back-to-back days is really unusual.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really unusual.
Speaker 4: And so all good wishes to Landon Roop today as he takes the hill, trying to finish off this sweep, give the Giants their first sweep of the season against lefty Nick Lodolo of the Reds, former first-round pick back in 2019. Mike, last one for me is the guy who came in to pitch after Hauser went down, Anthony Molina. Now he was in the Tyler Malley trade. He was not a heralded prospect at all. His numbers were not awesome. I think Giants fans saw him as maybe.
Speaker 2: Like a bulk middle inning guy or at best. He's 24. He's young.
Speaker 4: And man, did he give up some hard contact early. The Reds were not fooled by him in the first couple innings. Great catches all over the place from Drew Gilbert to Turner Hill. But anything that you saw from this guy that the Giants can take and believe in?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, he's a little vulnerable that first inning or so because, you know, he's putting on the Giants uniform for the first time. And you can imagine the adrenaline that's running through him.
Speaker 3: So he's a little geeked up.
Speaker 5: But he was throwing strikes. I mean, to me, that's the take. Adam Balls are good fortune, don't get me wrong. But there's a lot of guys when they get that adrenaline going through their arm, they can't throw strikes or they lose pitches.
Speaker 3: He didn't. They got hit hard. They got caught.
Speaker 5: But after the adrenaline kind of wore down, I mean, he really settled in. And a nice blend of two types of movement with a fastball, good changeup. He was throwing all his pitches and all the counts and not afraid. So, I mean, there's a guy– you have to have bulk inning guys in the pen. You have to. A guy who can go through the lineup one time when a starter goes out early, as we've seen the last two nights. And if there's a situation where a starter goes down or warms up and can't go, Well, you have to have somebody who can go in there and be comfortable in a start where you've been given five minutes notice to. So I like what I've seen from this guy. He's 24 years old. So, you know, he's got some dirt under his fingernails. He's been around a little bit. And it showed last night the way he was able to compose himself. So he really made a nice name for himself very quickly in last night's game.
Speaker 4: Listen, Giants need bullpen arms, and if this guy can join the fray, we'll see over the next month. Last one, did you see Pat Murphy last night, the Brewers manager, benching this kid Cooper Pratt for not running out of pop-up?
Speaker 2: Did you see that?
Speaker 5: No, I just read about it this morning, and Pratt's a shortstop, first-round pick, and we saw him, we were impressed with him, and blah, blah, blah.
Speaker 3: Young.
Speaker 5: Not hustling?
Speaker 3: Sit your butt down.
Speaker 5: And guess what? He shouldn't play today. It should be a one-and-a-half-game penalty, because there's no... excuse for that and I love the fact that he taught this lesson to this young player because you know what everybody in that clubhouse has picked off that this kid didn't do it either and you know you'll get veterans come up to a rookie and tell them that's not that's not something that we do you need to kick it in another gear but it doesn't have the same impact as to when a manager sits you down and says or takes you out of a game in the middle of a game and embarrass you embarrasses you not only in front of your teammates but in front of everybody in that ballpark So that's a lesson, hopefully, that he.
Speaker 3: Learns and we never see from him again. And unfortunately, some guys have to learn that way.
Speaker 5: It doesn't always happen to rookies. You see it happen with veterans, too. I think any time you see it, it should be called and a guy should have to come out of the game. There's no tolerance for that in my book.
Speaker 2: Mike, the Pat Murphy quotes are great.
Speaker 4: He talks about how he didn't get a bunt down earlier in the game, and he should have bunted a strike, and that ticked off Murphy.
Speaker 2: And then the pop-up where he didn't run it out.
Speaker 4: It's a long quote, but he says, you've got to be locked in if you're going to play at this level.
Speaker 2: So hopefully it's a good learning experience. He says, I love the kid, and I believe in the kid.
Speaker 4: He said, and he's a great defender, but this is not tolerated by anybody, and it sends a message to everybody else, too.
Speaker 2: You better run.
Speaker 4: So, I mean, this is, I am surprised that today's day and age, this happens. And I, to be honest, I'm okay. If Tony V started talking like this, Mike.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, he's backed it up already.
Speaker 3: He's just, I mean, that's a big part.
Speaker 5: Of every manager in the big leagues, Tony, no exception. And you can't do it. I think it may, I think it's a little more impactful when you do it with a veteran, because if you do it to one of your, your big core guys, then, you know, the rookies take notice of that.
Speaker 3: Well, I have to run out, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: So, I mean, but whatever the situation presents itself, I think it should be handled the same way.
Speaker 4: Good stuff, Mike. Go put on your Dolly Parton. You have a day game today.
Speaker 2: Landon Roop.
Speaker 4: Giants going for the sweep. And enjoy the heck out of it. We'll talk to you Friday.
Speaker 5: Thanks, Mike.
Speaker 1: Later, babe.
Speaker 2: Mike Krukow every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I just saw that Pat Murphy stuff. His quotes were great. I was just checking it out right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: To be honest, Tony could have done that with Willie Adamas.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, there have been some people who have complained about Rafael Devers not running hard out of the box.
Speaker 2: There's just a ball that just dropped the other week. Yeah, it's funny you say that about Devers. It's true. There are other times, though. He's busting ass out there. It surprises you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's a pretty good base runner when he needs to be. Like, if he needs to get first to third in a certain situation, he'll hustle, but he's not going to hustle every single time out of the box.
Speaker 4: So we go in George Orwell. All animals are equal. Some animals are more equal than other animals.
Speaker 6: Yeah, when you hit 30 home runs, you're allowed to walk out of the box every once in a while.
Speaker 2: Only 28, dude.
Speaker 6: He's on pace.
Speaker 2: He's on pace.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: Hey, 49ers are the big hit, and I know we're going longer with Mike these days. We're squeezing everything we can out of Mike, and you guys understand why, right? So we appreciate everybody tuning in for that. We got some football, though, coming your way. Todd Husek at 850, Larry Kruger at 930, and some comments. Kyle Shanahan did not duck. The Jed York questions next on the sports leader.