Speaker 1: Giants and Guardians from Cleveland and beautiful summertime weather eighty degrees humid as the Giants take on the Guardians. I'm John Miller with Today's Tony Vitello Show with the Skipper of the Giants and Tony for the Giants. It was not a good day on Sunday for the Giants. And I saw in the paper that you had a meeting with your squad about that.
Speaker 2: What can you tell us about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, more just with the pictures, and I think they met again today while I was out on the field with the position guys doing our early work, and really it's pretty basic. It's all about attacking the zone. And I think we've been guilty of overthinking things out there. There's so much, you know, analytical information that's out there. You and I got our the opponent starting pitcher, Foster and Griffin the information and it's it's mind boggling how much is on the sheet. But when the game starts, I think you just got to compete and that starts with attacking the zone. And we got to call it the ABS zone too.
Speaker 2: This year. I mean, we're here.
Speaker 3: In Cleveland where they infamously lost to the Marlins in one game where the strike zone was bigger than.
Speaker 2: The ocean, and that just doesn't go on anymore.
Speaker 3: So I think hitters being more selective has been a theme, and we've gotten better at that as the year's gone on. But if anything, the strike throwing from the pitching staff has just kind of plateaued and it hasn't been sufficient. And hopefully that was an all time low. The other day, we had eleven walks and hit by pitch. That was pretty key in that game. Sometimes you call that cost of doing business, but both theme or both meetings, the theme was pretty simple.
Speaker 2: You have to attack the strike zone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and eight of those runs for Colorado were runners who got on base free of charge in that game, So it reallysh just did not get away with anything. Now for a fin and there could be any number of things that a fan was looking at in that game, but there was a wild pitch that wasn't all that wild, ended every right behind the foot of Drew Cowen. He just didn't know where it was. He's kind of in a panic at that point. But the runner at third took off. So how did you read that play?
Speaker 2: What happened? What should have happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, I think Veen was pretty far off the bag. He's a plus runner and he kind of plays with a, you know, an interesting swagger about him. He's like three inches from the hitter when he's in the on deck circle, for instance, and he's got all kinds of other stuff going on, and you know, he took a chance, and if anything, you give him credit for having conviction to it. But if you were just gonna kind of do video review, the runner should not go there. The ball did not travel far enough from the catcher. But with the crowd noise and the swing moment in the game, I think we just got a little too caught up in the moment and it took longer than it should have to locate the baseball. And next thing, you know, it looked like a smart aggressive play as opposed to if we tag that runner out, it's a huge gift and we get out of that any it's a tie ball game. We have an extra app bat, you know, compared to what the Rockies have left, and you'd like to think we win the game, but who knows.
Speaker 2: But it was a big moment in the game the Giants.
Speaker 1: That was then and now it's Cleveland, and we'll talk about that when Today's Tony Vytello Show continues. Now more with Tony Vytello, Giants manager. And with all the injuries that's made life a little more difficult. What's the latest on Willy A Damas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Willie's got a fully active day today.
Speaker 3: So when you go out there and you watch our team stretch and then do everything else that comes with pregame, you'll see Willy involved in that, and more than likely he'll be available to pinch hit tonight. He definitely, at a minimum, would be available to pinch hit tomorrow. And then you know, I don't like making false predictions, but I'd be surprised if he didn't get a start before we leave Cleveland.
Speaker 2: But at a minimum, it should be Boston for sure, all right.
Speaker 1: And then finally, a lot written the last couple of days and said about hug Boat Wilkinson, Yeah, and coming up with the Giants. He's a guy that the Giants acquired for Patrick Bailey or in that deal, whom the Giants will see this week. And tug Boat, I guess is here but not necessarily on the roster today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just taxi today, not eating up a roster spot, if you want to call it that. And yeah, tug boats here, you said Wilkinson. The other day we had a meeting and someone used his full name, and I had no idea who we were talking about. You know, I've got a lot of I got to meet with him in here in the office for quite a bit. We got some history and saw him pitch when he was a freshman in college, and we know a lot of similar.
Speaker 2: People and it was a good catch up.
Speaker 3: He's a fun personality, but really where his personality shines is when he's got the ball in his hand. He's not scared. Gresh and I talked earlier today about when he pitched.
Speaker 2: Against Team USA.
Speaker 3: That lineup was filled with your Schwarbers and your everybody else's and he showed no fear in the three innings he threw against those guys. So at some point he'll get in the beat, get the ball in his hand, and hopefully he lets those positive traits he has shine. But it's good to have another new face here. It's been fun seeing all these young guys get their first call up and of course the memories that will come with it.
Speaker 1: Giants Guardians Game one of the series. The Guardians still very much alive in the Wild Wild American League. And that's the Tony Vtello Show for today.