Speaker 1: All right, we now have joining us on sports phone KMBR. It is the great Steve Berman of the athletic mister Bermont. What's going on, man? How are you doing now?
Speaker 2: Much? Ted doing well? How are you?
Speaker 3: Do? You know?
Speaker 1: Just rolling along and waiting for the start of the NFL season. And I wanted to ask you about this because I got to thinking. Always dangerous when I get to thinking. But with the forty nine ers headed to Australia, even if Pablo Torre has told us that it's not the substation, I feel there's a very high possibility that there's going to be some sort of what we would call a catastrophic injury, whether that's nacyl and Achilles.
Speaker 3: Quad steps ten and whatever it is.
Speaker 1: And so I'm just curious if that happens, at what point is there going to be pushed back from the Union about these road trips to different time zones and different continents. Because I can't find a delect direct parallel beyond lega MS teams coming up to play Major League Soccer, even the European teams that travel, they come to the United States for like an extended stay, so that you could, you know, it used to be you could see MESSI with FC Barcelona because they were going to do the tour around America and it's not the high profile, intense games, and it's also soccer, which is not as violently injurious as the NFL. So like, how long does this international expansion keep on going with the NFL?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that it's going to be more on a team by team basis in terms of the complaints, and we know that this forty nine Ers team is not above complaining about their situation in terms of travel. Remember the Super Bowl when they were in Las Vegas and they got the lesser of practice facility because they are the road team, And there were some mumblings that Drake Greenlaw's injury, you know, he's dealing with I guess some sort of either cap or kille ten and I is kind of leading into the game that weird playing service that they are at UNLV contributed to him tearing it during the Super Bowl, which I think, you know, sort of like the Draymond Green suspension in twenty sixteen in the finals, like one of those deals where fans will go, you know what, if that didn't happen, we actually probably win the Championship that year, and then this year they have the two different International Games. They got to go to Mexico too, So I think that teams might be complaining about this. On the other hand, you know, others have said one of the things that forty nine ers have had to deal with a lot is these International Games is because in sort of weird scheduling with the prime time because they say no to hard knocks in the NFL says okay. And they've also gotten two Super Bowls pretty recently, probably the second one more recently than you would have expected, and you know, by proxy, all right, well, if you're not doing hard knocks and you get these Super Bowls, then we're gonna you're gonna go wherever we send you. So I think there's that portion. I think the players Union probably their biggest fight right now is not the International Park, but AstroTurf. You know, the artificial surfaces well much better than they were when we were children, when it was pretty much carpet on top of cement, you know. MetLife field is a subject that has been talked about many times, Niners included obviously, Yeah, with both of the Solomon Thomas in the same game, I think that's really where they are, especially after seeing the World Cup where all these places that have artificial surface through grass on and on TV it look fantastic. One of the things that the NFL owners say, not not say, but it's been said, is that the NFL owners actually like the artificial surface because they think it looks better on TV.
Speaker 1: Which is an interesting take, and I guess it tells you that that's the whole NFL is much much more at TV property now than actually going to the games.
Speaker 3: But I look at how there's not.
Speaker 1: Even a consensus on when to arrive, Like I would have thought that the Rams and the forty nine ers would be on similar schedules, and the Rams are saying there's citing previous travel and say, no, we're gonna go right beforehand.
Speaker 3: It's not going to be a lead up.
Speaker 1: And I just I find that kind of staggering, because not that I'm wishing this upon anyone, and I feel bad for bringing up, but if that if the rams schedule coincide with with a catastrophic injury for their team, everyone's gonna point to that, even if that is only a correlation and not necessarily a causation.
Speaker 2: Sure, absolutely I think there's a lot of science has yet to be done about a lot of these things. With travel, you know, nowadays, a lot of teams would have you know, talked about the NBA for example, a lot of teams will stay the night instead of flyback on a sort of a red eye flight. They say that's sleep. Experts to tell them that's better just to sleep in that hotel and then fly back the next morning, whereas they didn't used to do that before. Is that really helped the NBA in terms of injuries, I'm not so sure. Definitely not with Achilles taars, so that could be based on a whole other set of circumstances. And the forty nine ers have changed a lot of their stuff in terms of travel in recent years too. I mean, remember they go to the Greenbrier in West Virginia whenever they had a two week road trip, you know, Midwest East coast, and the players don't really like it at all because they're away from home so long. And I think they're actually the Niners sometimes are kind of rethinking some of that, maybe not staying at least at that hotel anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also it kind of speaks to the nature of both teams with this Australia trip in particular, because you have the forty nine ers who were very careful about their cash expenditures last year and I had a fairly cautious I would say off season. It wasn't super super aggressive, while the Rams are just like, screw it, you know, we're gonna go get it. We're gonna we're gonna go get Miles Garrett, you know, and we're gonna trade for a cornerback and do pretty much are just putting all their chips in right now. And it seems like they've done that multiple times over the past few years. So it just sort of speaks to the different personalities I think of both organizations.
Speaker 1: What do you make of the CMC contract talk and the soreness and that popping up from Mike Florio. I think that was earlier this morning. I feel like that has already been out of this in the news cycle for so long, but that's maybe because that was up at about four thirty this morning.
Speaker 2: Well, Paulaly, not a coincidence that these types of things that we talked about after Jonathan Taylor got paid and multiple running backs John Robinson got paid and then Jamior Gibbs got paid like right afterwards, like just barely over that, and mccaffery's looking at it, saying, all right, well, this is my last chance to really cash in. If Premiere running backs, the guys you draft in the first rounds in fantasy are getting paid like this, at least a little bit better. They'd still be like the thirty fifth pit or twenty fifth that's paid wide receiver, but it's still better than they were, you know, just even a year ago. Then this is now is the time to strike. And the forty nine ers are kind of over barely, just like they are with Trent Williams too. You know, what are they gonna do? The other two guys that are behind him are hurt as well, with I think obviously legitimate injuries, because there's no reason for those guys to sit out.
Speaker 3: When CMC.
Speaker 1: Has a heavy load year, as they call it, they say he's not as good the next year. I don't know how accurate that is. What are you expecting to CEMC this year, knowing how much work he did last year?
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's in Kyle's nature to do anything other than maximize CMC for every single game that he could possibly play. That's just the way it goes with them. I mean, obviously they'd probably go into it say, all right, we have these things scheduled out, and we can't have him have the most touches ever as he did last year, all of his most touches ever, but just felt like a shirt amount of touches for a guy who's spent the year before with all these different sort of injuries. But you know, I mean Jordan James, I think is the guy who's talented Calon Black. They were talking about him really in camp, who could fit in well with the way the forty nine ers do things and seem like a guy that people were talking highly of. But they're both on the shelf. So if they're on the shelf now and they're not getting that practice time in, then will Kyle trust them in key situations? And will the forty nine ers be in enough games where they're blown out opponents to sit CMC. And also that's the other thing. A lot of times when they've had the blowout situations, either getting blown out or blown out another team. You know, everyone's a blaze on social media because mccaffery's still in the game, getting for three downs, for all three downs, and they're like Kyle, like, this is the time to let him sit on the bench. So I don't know, I believe when I see it, I think is pretty much the long story short of this.
Speaker 1: Well, the thing about the Kyle Shanahan era forty nine Ers is there have been so many games which have statistically been blowouts for the forty nine Ers in favor of them, but it's a really tight game to where they also have to keep all their starters out there and really work hard late and deep into the game to kind of lock it up. And I don't expect that to change this year either, because I look at the Rams and the Seahawks, and I see the forty nine Ers as a team that can get into the playoffs.
Speaker 3: But I don't see them as good.
Speaker 1: As those two other teams right now, which means that that's at least four games that they're gonna be fighting, you know, all the way to the end, at least, I would assume. And it's not gonna be just four, it's gonna be many many games.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, their schedule is not quite as favorable as it was last year. They do get to play the Dolphins after they get back. That's pretty nice, and then the Cardinals are after that, so maybe they get a little bit of a breather there, but you never know. In the NFL, a lot of times everyone says that the team's gonna be awesome, they end up being six and eleven and vice versa. So, you know, but they also play the Broncos. They you know, they have to play. Yeah, the Cowboys are gonna be pretty dec and the Vikings always give them a tough game, Seahawks and Rams twice. Like you said, there aren't that many breathers. They play the Chiefs and the Eagles to before to the season before they face the Cardinals at the end in the game where if they have a playoffs spot locked up, maybe you can get some rest there. But it's the NFL. It's it's tough to blow a team. You have to be pretty incompetent with the way that talent is spread out to get beaten that badly. And the Cardinals might be there at this point, especially seeing that Jeremiah Love already has a high ankle sprain and they lost a tackle, and you know, so maybe they they're a team that could be considered a patsy along with maybe the Dolphins because they seem to be tanking. But other than that, all these other teams are going for and if you mess up on special teams even once or twice, a team that's much worse than you on paper is right there with you in the fourth court.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, it's gonna be very interesting. Again.
Speaker 1: We got Steve Berman here joining us on sports phone. K and br have you bought into the Dejon stribbling hype after what we've seen up to this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, he looks really good in the first half of that preseason game, So I mean, you know, I used to be a training campbell all the time. My current job as an MLB editor and sometimes writer at the Athletics, so I'm not at training camp now, so I'd have to rely on reports and podcasts like pretty much everybody else. But you know, actually seeing him in person, not just you know, running, you know, little drills whenever they let you do the camera thing at training camp. He seems like someone who definitely has potential and Kyle. We'll see if Kyle sticks with him. In terms of confidence. I don't see him though, being like I can landing in a doghouse because he's not, you know, handling his route treat correctly or his blocking responsibilities correctly. Seemed like there, you know, I think there was a little bit of run blocking in the first series that Kyle's a little bit worried about. But scriblaying biol accounts seems like a really mature, low key kind of guy who gets really high key on the field and wants to smash people. And that fits in real well. And so does the speed element too. I mean, it just takes the top off of the defense in a way that a lot of you know that Juwan Jennings wasn't able to. When you have him as you number one receiver, you're kind of limited to a certain pockets of the field. So even when scribbling isn't involved in the play in terms of target, he could still actually help out a lot with the underneath crossing stuff. It helps out Devo quite a bit. And then he have Mike Evans, you know, as long as he can stay healthy and doing his thing. I do think that I understand now why the pick was made for sure, just watching him. The catch on the side down the sideline was fantastic, but also just even though I'm pretty sure he was probably out of bounds on that one play, but the way that he pushed forward for a couple extra yards, that's something that fires a team up. That's obviously something that gets first downs, which is even more important. And you know this is it seems like he's a guy who, at least will you could trust him to be on the field a majority of the time. From pretty much jump.
Speaker 1: We are joined by Steve Berman of the Athletic here on sportsphone KMBR, switching gears to the San Francisco Giants. Vytello gets the second year. Yeah, oh boy, cynical me. How much of that is because Buster Posey can say that knowing that we don't even know if the next season is happening at this point, Like he gives himself a lot of wiggle room with that statement. And not that I think that Tony Vitello is the problem any way, shape or form. He hasn't been the solution. But the Giants issues this year. I have not routinely been going, oh, yeah, that's the manager. It's a flawed baseball team, no way around it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that there was an interesting change I detected over the weekend, you know. And one of the writers I work with is Angel Baggerly, and we actually discussed this yesterday privately that after both losses to the Rockies, there was a different tone at postgame from Vitello. Now, for the buster can component he's a smart guy. I mean, he hasn't put together the greatest roster, and he can question some of his moves, but you know, I covered him for many many years, you know when he was playing. He is a smart, calculated person. There's no reason for him to say anything other than I think Fightel is doing a great job and there's no plans to change the major Like, why would you do that right now? So I don't think that is a fatacomplie that he stays. But I do think that Vitello has noticed that he needs to change the tone of how he's perceived quite a bit. On Friday. After Friday's game, he mentioned how sloppy the team was, the Walks and how that's something that really can't be tolerated. Right then, you know, then they win on Saturday, Okay, sure, you know it's the Rockies. And then yesterday's game was a complete higher fire. So he came out and he said there was a team meeting. Apparently, according to Bags that they had actually to wait quite a while for his press conference start because he was talking to the team and he and what he said, I'm sure that you guys have been talking about in the airwaves today is just how much you know people are paying to watch this stuff. You can't walk ten guys and have all these mental errors in the field and play this type of baseball that make what do you call it? And the money quote obviously was Juco baseball, and they tried to say, you know, well I was I played Juco baseball. So no disrespect to those guys, Yeah, I mean, but when you're comparing major leaders to jucos, I guess there was more disrespect to the to the players that are on the major league team. Is what he what he meant and what I saw there was someone who realizes that the narratives that surrounding him is, hey, this guy, you know, he doesn't have control of the clubhouse. He's laying these major league players run roughshot over him. And we've seen there have been questions about why was there no discipline for Appydevers when he served him at the first at first base when Jonah Cox came out there. And also there was a pretty interesting part of that Brick piece and the Athletic about Buster saying that if I Tella told the team before the season started to consider him as a teammate, and that did not go over too well with a certain segment of the fan base, at least the people who read it or saw online. So I think that he knows now that he needs to change that perception pretty quickly. He also, you know, it probably is good to let the players know that they are paying customers, a lot of them a surprising number actually for how bad this team is, who were watching this stuff and shouldn't have to watch baseball the way it was played on Sunday. Especially Friday not so great either, but Sunday was just abominable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, Mike Cruco came out and you know, said it was not a pretty style of baseball that people want to go out and see. Now, there have been some more empty crowds for the Giants in the last couple of weeks, just because the writing is on the wall. But I mean, I still think people are going to come out because it's such a great time out, not to steal from the Warriors, But there's never once we even watching the Giants get demolished where I've been at that park and said, boy, I wish I wasn't here, And I just wonder how much that's just going to continue to cloud the Giants' management, upper management, front office, their vision of what they need to do to make a pretty penny because that stadium. And again I've said, do you not want them to turn into the Rockies in terms of the fact, like, hey, this is a great place to go and you know, get cheap beer and watch entertainments. I would like it to be a team that strives for excellence, but when there's not an economic incentive to win in the same fashion there might be for other ball clubs, and the Giants have kind of found, you know, they've threaded a needle here.
Speaker 2: And that's been the complaint about the Cubs for decades, right, you know, at least like in modern years. All Right, we have this ballpark that everyone's going to come to anyways and make a summer trip out of it. So you know, as long as we're like semi fungible in the field, you know, and actually able to do something, then it doesn't really matter. And I think they've gone a little bit more pressure in recent years and try to be a contending team. This year they're pretty decent. They were aggressive of the deadline, and yeah, that has been a question. The questions fans have had about the Giants is are they relying on the park and also are they are they more interested in this ancillary stuff around the park, the real estate development too. You know, only they can answer that. When they don't go hard spending money on pitching, then you can question that for sure. I think that you're going to see some pretty sparse crowds here in the next few weeks because school's back in session. It's a real easy fun thing, especially on the weekends. But you know during the week todays when school's out, you know, take your kids, right. And I do think also the fact that there are more people working in offices in San Francisco now than there were two, three, four, five years ago, that's helping a little bit as well. But also I think, you know, this is the residual effect the decent attendance this year, people being excited about Buster being the president of baseball operations, you know, seeming like you know, hearkening back to when everything was great and the city was on fire with Giants, and now that the team has just been dreadful, and if there's a lockout, then I think that momentum is going to slow quite a bit. So I think the Giants, on one hand, might be like, all right, a lockout might be great, especially if there are some penalties inflicted on the Dodgers for doing what they do in terms of deferred contracts and spending. But also, you know, if you don't have if you don't have baseball for a while, and the last impression of Giants baseball was this, then how many season ticket renewals are you going to get? So they are kind of in this place where yes, right now, it's great. But also I've heard behind the scenes that you know, the Giants, even when you say, okay, they're averaging you know, thirty four to thirty five thousand a game, they feel like they can't really profit until they're close to forty. You know, those sellout years are the ones where they felt like they were actually making little money. So even like when the crowd looks pretty good for a game against the Royals, you know they're still looking at you like, now, we got to pack them in even more than this, And I think we have seen some cheaper tickets online recently as well on the secondary market.
Speaker 1: Regardless of what happens with this next baseball season, whenever the next baseball season is played, do you think the Giants are going to take steps to try and make amends with the greater Bay Area culture that is their fan base.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that they should. You know, at least if I was in the organization, it seems like that would make sense. I don't know what steps they would take and who to be in charge of deciding these things, you know. So that was one thing that was kind of unearthed a little bit with the Friday Night thing, was it seemed like they weren't really completely on the same page in terms of who was gonna talk and when and how we're gonna figure this out, how we're gonna get ahead of this situation, and so they resorted to the let's go head in the sands and hope it washes over us. Except for in this case right now, I mean, the WNBA is seeing this. When culture rules or stuff happens, there are certain segments that are seize upon it for to grifts and for money, you know, And you can say that for both sides, you know. I mean, people might argue one way or the other, but things like this do not go away because there's a certain segment that did not care a lick about the Giants. Couldn't name one giant past or present who seized on this right when it happened. And because it's like, oh, you know, I can get a bunch of likes and a bunch of exposure and all that kind of things. So they're gonna have to make some inroads here at some point. The best in roads obviously are to get talented players, and it could play. I think that one thing that they have in their back pocket is that they have some really good minor leaguers, it seems like, especially in the position player side, coming through the system. And I think you're seeing a lot more San Jose Giants games on TV recently, at least I've noticed that. And Joss Worganzalez is playing great right now and had to walk off hit just recently, and he looks electric. I think Luis and is right now is more strong on the defensive side than the offensive side, but he's got offensive tools as well, and they bo Davidson too, So that's the hope really is that this you know, and they promote, you know, teams promote guys a little sooner than they used to. So maybe they're just hoping that, all right, if we get young, vibrant players, that's how we'll get the fans back. But I do think that there'll be some interesting things whenever baseball comes back. They used to have real big marketing strategies. Remember they used to have commercials, signs around town slogans, all that kind of stuff. It's been a little quiet in the last couple of years. I think you might see a return to more aggressive marketing.
Speaker 1: One of the things you referenced was the Giant's success being dependent on bringing in some talent and you know, the product on the field. One of the things that's become more and more of a reality is people bringing up taxes with California. I heard it from Barkley Goodrow at the San Jose Sharks.
Speaker 3: At the end of the year. We have heard it just around from players.
Speaker 1: How come that's never a problem for the Dodgers and the Lakers, And I don't think I've really heard it brought up with the Warriors, to be fair, but why is there almost like a picking and choosing, Not that it's a psyop or something, but I'm like, why is this brought up more with the Bay Area than it is with other parts of California.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think housing prices might be the mix to along with it. So I think just for not or San Diego though no, I mean it's no, you're right, but the Bay Area. I think if guys want to live in a real nice area, it's a little easier to do that in LA and find a place that isn't quite so egregious, you know, if say, like if you want to live in San Francisco because you play with the San Francisco Giants or the Golden State Warriors, and you look at like what's available, you know, even like in a luxury condo, and how much that costs, and unless you just are not smart with your money at all, I mean, you give them money. Manager the plies saying probably just don't do that because because you'll be broke by the time, like five years after your career is over. So I think it's just a I think it's all wrapped into one. You know, they go get gas and it's too expensive. The you know, the tax bills too much. The real estate is too expensive, and so the tax one is real easy because complaining about real estate is kind of broke boy status, right. Yeah, you know, if you're an athlete, professional athlete, no one's gonna be like, well sorry that that. You know, you wanted a luxury crib and it's not working out for you. But everyone can get on board with taxes being too high, right, So I think that's just sort of the ise to a jore with the overall cost of living being so high. But yeah, that you don't you don't really hear with the Dodgers and the Lakers and the Warriors. Maybe it's the NBA. It's not that kind of culture. Although I mean Carmelo Anthony made waves is not that long ago when he was on a podcast talking about, you know how he made all this money in his career. But you don't make that much because you're paying your agent and also you pay taxes in every single city that you play in during the season, YadA, YadA, YadA, and everyone's like, okay, we're shedding, you know, huge tears for you here Yeah, so I do think maybe it's one of those deals where it's just one of those things where they all kind of talk about it internally and maybe just some very athletes and mentioned it more than others. Yeah, I've heard from you know, some I've actually heard niners guys say the real estate is too high, it's at certain points. I've never heard the tax thing, but yeah, it is a little bit weird. I don't I don't know. I mean, it's it's one of those deals where the regular person who lives here goes, really, you're gonna whind about that with your salary. Yeah, but yeah, these guys live in a different world than us.
Speaker 1: The thing that's interesting, and not that I'm going to be as much of the Bay Area liberal ted that I am. But if you look at the non taxation but made up for on the other side of state taxes with property taxes in both Texas and Florida, which you're see as quote unquote tax havens, you end up spending more money to live there than you do in California.
Speaker 3: So I just find it a weird argument that was never there.
Speaker 1: It's not like California's gotten suddenly that much more of a tax heavy state than it was, you know, five ten years ago, but now it's just it's become a consistent storyline. I just find it fascinating.
Speaker 2: That is an interesting point, and it probably is because a lot of these guys actually don't own property in the Bay Area. They rent and then they go move to Like a lot of the major league players live in Arizona during the off season, so I think that might be a part of it as well. A lot of them live in Tennessee. I don't actually know the Tennessee property tax situation, but just looking, I mean, just for some reason, I have not been researching Nashville real estate in property tax prices, but they're all floking there. I mean, and baseball players. The Niners have a bunch of people. I think Perdy and Kittle and Robert fall all live like real close to each other in the Nashville area. So I think that probably what they do is they looked and they go, hey, well, i'll rent here, that's fine, I can swing that. I'll live somewhere else that is cheaper during the off season and own real estate there. But man, these tax bills I'm getting on my paycheck. This is really annoying. And my money manager told me I can't buy this because you're not making as much after taxes as he's thought you would. That kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it's I just find it interesting. But we can't crack the code here. But mister Burman, I will let you go. You've been very generous with your time as always, and I promise I will bug you again soon, all right
Speaker 2: Man, oh yeah, please do Ted, thank you