Speaker 1: Well, the city council might only give you sixty seconds to where your grievance is.
Speaker 2: Oh hi, I'd like to go to the first caller on the phone.
Speaker 1: Well, if you're lucky, now we're giving you a both sixty minutes. It's a KABC News Blitz with Randy Wang in our long recap of the day's top local stories on your drive home. And unlike the city Council, we're the perfect vehicle to actually.
Speaker 2: Get your voice heard.
Speaker 1: The KABC News Blitz with Randy Wang starts no.
Speaker 3: It is the News Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk radio seven to ninety KABC. This is your daily rundown of everything you need to know that's going on in Southern California as well as the Bay Area, Sacramento, San Diego, and the Central Valley.
Speaker 2: I cover all of it.
Speaker 3: I compile a list every single morning of all the news stories affecting you locally that you may have missed, and you can check it all out Atwangradio dot substack dot com. You'd also check out our YouTube channel where we do the John Phillips Show live every single day from noon to three at YouTube dot com, slash at Randy Wang Radio the at sign like an email address at Randy Wang Radio. You can also follow me on Instagram and x at Randy Wang Radio and send me an email. I bet you can guess Randy Wang Radio at gmail dot com. It is day two of me broadcasting from Toronto, Canada. And let me tell you, I got to try poutine last night, legitpoutine from the Burgers Priest, a delicious smash burger place, and we got fries top with gravy and cheese kurds. And by the time we brought it back to the hotel room, the cheese curds were all melty.
Speaker 2: It was amazing. It was incredible.
Speaker 3: But I'm not just here to talk about cheese curds, although I could do the whole hour on it if you let me. But let's talk about digital driver's licenses. Govenor Gavin Newsom put out a little video over the last couple of days showing.
Speaker 2: How easy it is.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: The California DMV Digital driver License program is live. It was in the testing phase and I actually tried to use it during the testing phase and kept getting rejected. I was under the impression, oh, okay, maybe I'm getting rejected because I'm way thinner than my photo in the DMV picture on my driver's license. Turns out that's not it, because it worked out just fine today. So although it is funny to look at that picture, because yes, I am eighty pounds heavier in the picture, but I'm much closer to the weight that's actually listed on my driver's license now than when I took that picture, because I was at two to eighty and I'm pretty sure I told the DMV I was two thirty five, because nobody is honest on the weight on your driver's license picture.
Speaker 2: So I did it.
Speaker 3: I downloaded this app, I logged into my DMV account, which I had to set up last year when I had to get the real ID, and it was very, very simple. And I know there's a lot of people concerned about you know, do you really want to have a digital ID? Do you want to have even more of your information online? All of my information is online. I am broadcasting this not just to the radio, but I will also be recording this to upload to YouTube. Every part of my life is digital at some point, so I don't have a problem with that. And I can actually see a lot of advantages to having a digital driver's license for me, specifically, I when I'm home, get up every single morning, and the first thing I do, after you're doing a little show prep and feeding the dogs and emptying out the dishwasher is I go to my plate studio. And I love my pilate studio. I am missing it a little right now. It's like the one thing, Oh I'm missing my dogs. I am missing my pilates studio. But other than that, I'm having a great time in Canada this week. But when I go to pilates, I've got the toe socks on, I've got well, I don't do the toe socks, but I do the stocks with the sticky stuff because I just it feels wrong to me to have my toes separated in socks. It's just not my thing. And typically what you do is you bring your You have a little cubby where you can put your water, where you can put your keys, where you can put your phone, where you can put your wallet. And while I feel totally safe having it there, there's usually somebody watching, and if there isn't, they lock the door before the studio starts so nobody can steal all the wallets and everything. It always assume to me that, like this seems kind of unnecessary. Why do I need my wallet? And you could say, well, maybe you need your wallet, Randy, because you're probably gonna go to Ralph's next door afterwards and buy something, And I usually do because I go through a lot of cottage cheets, or I need some more sodas because I've gotten addicted to sparkling water. At some point, we're gonna have to do a new segment, Randy, sparkling water reviews, because I am drinking all of it.
Speaker 2: For the longest time.
Speaker 3: I was, so I don't do flavored sparkling water.
Speaker 2: I don't do it.
Speaker 3: I just do plain sparkling water out of my soda stream, or I get fancy imported mineral water from Germany. But now I'm on the sparkling water flavor train. Trader Joe's Black Cherry Vanilla, Oh, how I miss you. My wife has been in Canada for the last six weeks, says one of the things she misses the most next to me and the dogs is Trader Joe's. She was actually considering on a day off, driving two hours to Buffalo to go to a Trader Joe's.
Speaker 2: The addiction is real. Anyway, I'm completely off topic, but I started thinking about sparkling water.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I go to Ralph's after my pilates class every single day, and so I would probably need a wallet for that, except I don't because I can pay for stuff at Ralphs with Kroger Pay, which is by the way, I don't know if you know this hack. So I'm a big credit card hack guy, and one of the simplest hacks in order to maximize your points when you're going to Ralph's specifically or Kroger whatever. I don't know if Safeway does this up in the Bay Area, but with Kroger specifically, any Kroger brand, you can download the Ralphs app and you can use Kroger Pay. And what you do is you use for the credit card that's connected to your account, Chase Sapphire Preferred, which is a great card that only has one hundred dollars annual fee that has three X points on online groceries. But guess what, when you use Kroger Pay, even though you're buying your food in person, it counts as online groceries. So I get three X points on that Chase card for everything I buy at Ralphs, even though I'm buying it in person. It is a little hack that I think they are all glad to know that is out there, because it makes me use that card instead of my AMEX, although I probably could just use my AMEX as well because I get four X points on groceries, but I use the Chase Sapphire there and I use the MX at Trader Joe's and it all kind of evens out. I got lots of points and lots of different buckets, so I don't need to have a wallet with me for any of my morning routine except for I'm driving to and from the studio.
Speaker 2: It's not far.
Speaker 3: But still, if I ever got pulled over by law enforcement, I should have my driver's license on me. That would be important. I have my insurance card and my registration in the car, but I should probably have my driver's license. And by the way, insurance is something you can also get on your phone.
Speaker 2: Triple A.
Speaker 3: I have my insurance card on my phone and I tried to show it to somebody when I was involved in an accident a couple of years ago, and it was very confusing. But here's the problem with this, because what I just described is a perfect scenario for why you would love to have a digital driver's license, specifically because.
Speaker 2: I don't need a wallet for any of that.
Speaker 3: I can use my digital driver's license if for some reason I got pulled over, and I can use Kroger Pay at the market. So now I do not need to bring my wallet for my morning routine at Pilate's. But here's the problem. The California DMV digital driver's license is currently only accepted at a handful of different establishments, and a lot of bars and restaurants are not counting this as ID. I think you can use it at airports, but you better already have global entry.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Credit card hack number two, I should just do a whole show of credit card hacks. If you have an American Express card, whether it's the Gold or the Platinum, or you have a Chase Sapphire card, or you have a Capital one card, all of them will give you a one hundred reimbursement for applying for TSA pre check or global entry it up to I think it only costs you one hundred dollars and they'll reimburse you the full hundred dollars. So getting that extra background check for global entry is free, and when you have global Entry it lasts for five years and then you get automatic tsa pre check on all of your flights.
Speaker 2: Very very very important. But it's not accepted at bars.
Speaker 3: It's probably not accepted at Ralphs as I was going to buy alcohol, but you cannot do it the self checkout, which apparently you can do in states like Texas, but guess where it's also not accepted. The digital driver's license is not accepted by California law enforcement. So Gavin Newsom makes a whole deal out of how we have the digital driver's license. We're finally living up to the promise of Citizenville, Gavin Newsom's book that he wrote about modernizing government, and the place where you would use your license the most, the place where it would be most needed as identification to law enforcement. When you get pulled over, you cannot use it. So I downloaded it. I have the digital driver's license, but at this point there's no reason to haven't because it doesn't actually do anything except if I ever want to remember what I looked like eighty pounds heavier, I can go look at that picture. That's pretty much the only benefit the California Digital Driver's License has. Right now, I have a very important health update for you. Even though no Californians have been affected, it's on everybody's mind.
Speaker 2: The cyclosporiasis. I think I have pronounced that correctly.
Speaker 3: Outbreak that's mostly affecting people in like Michigan, which is very close to where I am right now in Toronto.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing.
Speaker 3: The the organizations that are supposed to tell you where this came from, specifically the FDA, they got it wrong. They told everybody that this came from a pause that's aive test result from lettuce linked to Taylor Farms and a farm in Mexico. Taylor Farms, which is based in the part northern part of California, and Taco Bell got the blame because the lettuce that Taylor Farms uses is shredded into Iceberg lettuce and shipped to Taco Bell's nationwide. So you had all kinds of jokes about Taco Bell now giving Chipotle a run for its money. Probably shouldn't use the word runs in this story because you've all heard about the explosive. You know what it happens with the cyclospariasis, and so people started throwing away their lettuce, people started looking at up and trying to maybe avoid leafy greens. This week, Taylor Farms took a massive hit to their reputation, only to find out a week later after everyone is not ordering lettuce on anything and people are avoiding Taco Bell like the play that it was a false positive. It wasn't the lettuce. We don't know where the outbreak started. So Taylor Farms is still doing the recall just out of an abundance of caution. But I think you'll be okay having lettuce. Should you wash it first? Probably? You know, it's a very good investment a salad spinner, because with a salad spinner, you can cut your lettuce and then you can wash it, and then you can spin it dry and so it'll stay crunchier. Just a little tip from me to you. It turns out it wasn't the lettuce all along. You're gonna be fine if you have lettuce and you're not gonna get cyclosporiasis if you go to Taco Bell. I was going to say, you're going to be fine if you go to Taco Bell. But I shouldn't be knocking Taco Bell. I know some people love it. I loved it for many many years when I lived in Valley Village, I was so recognizable to the people working at the drive thrus. We were almost on a first name basis because I ate Jack in the Box or Taco Bell pretty much every single night. I would if I was working back when I was working at the radio station, I would get home around eleven o'clock at night. I probably wouldn't go to bed until like two or three in the morning. And then there was a year where I was working overnights regardless if it was before three am, I had the option of going to Taco Bell because the Taco Bell on Collfax was open till three am, and if it was after three, I had to go to Jack in the Box. Either way, I was getting tacos because it is impossible, physically impossible to go to Jack in the Box and not get two tacos with ever you're ordering. Okay, I should be honest, four tacos with whatever you're ordering, but oh boy, I love to get in that Taco Bell line at two thirty and I'd figure out the five things that I wanted, and that was like a responsible meal for me because it would probably add up to about ten dollars. Oh, how times have changed. But back in two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine, twenty ten, yeah, you could order five big things at Taco Bell and you'd spend eight to ten dollars. Now I was hitting the drive throughs four times a day, so I was still spending forty dollars a day on drive through. But you definitely got a lot more value for you buck than you do today. It's actually funny too. I haven't been to a Taco Bell in well over a year and a half, but they think the last time that I went, I actually pulled into the drive through and then said, nevermind, I don't want any of this because the things that used to be on the dollar menu now cost four dollars. I'm looking at you, cheesy bean in rice burrito and beefy five layer burrito. I don't even know if they have those anymore, but those were some of my staples, especially anything that was cheesy. And then I would always spring for the cheesy Gordiita crunch even though it wasn't on the dollar menu. That was some good eaton. Okay, I just made myself very hungry It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk Radio seven ninety KABC. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk radio seven ninety KABC. We're here every single day giving you the local news up and down the state of California that you really need. And make sure you subscribe to The Accountability Podcast, my podcast that I do every single week with John Phillips talking about well, this week we're talking about Gavin news dirty diaper deal and the incredible investigative reporting from Julie Watts over at CBS News Investigates. The ruptured water pipe in West Hollywood has been replaced. They're in the middle of pressurizing it. They don't know when everything will be back to normal and you can actually drive on Sunset Boulevard. But this has caused so many fears in LA about when's the next one going to be because there were five in the span of a week, and now everyone is well aware of how aged our infrastructure is in the city of Los Angeles, and there really is no plan.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Karen Bass went on KTLA the other day and I'm waiting for KTLA to put up this full interview so we can.
Speaker 2: Talk about it.
Speaker 3: But she loves to talk about all the things that are wrong with LA, like she's not the one in charge because and I'm going to tell you right now, the big difference in this race might be age. Policy wise, Nythia and Karen are cut from the same cloth, even though Nythia is DSA, tell me one policy that Karen Bass supports that isn't also supported by the DSA. And remember the other big DSA members have endorsed Karen Bass. But when it comes to age, the era of politician that Karen Bass is, especially working in Congress, She's used to things moving really slow and thinking that that's fine. So she talks about how there was no major infrastructure plan in Los Angeles and for two years she was developing one and they're still working on figuring out how to implement it. Not good enough, Karen, Not good enough? Hey, how about this? The graffiti towers, a tourist attraction if there ever was one in downtown LA is finally getting taken care of. The down ass kids don't like it, but they're finally gonna start cleaning up the graffiti because the bankruptcy court has allowed the sale of that building to go forward, where the project will maybe finally get finished.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 3: The question is, if they start really cleaning up the graffiti, how quickly.
Speaker 2: Is it going to come back?
Speaker 3: Unless I mean they're gonna have to have twenty four to seven security because think about the six Street bridge, which gets a lot of attention for having no lights which are still not replaced by the way, but it also gets tagged so often that when they clean it up, the graffiti comes back in two days. So they have to have graffiti cleanups two to three times a week. We've got a lot more coming up on today's news Blitz, so keep it right here. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on KBC. It's the Newsplitz when Randy Way hang on Talk Radio seven ninety KABC. This is your daily rundown of everything you need to know that's going on in southern California. So check out my list at Randywangradio dot substack dot com. You get subscribed for free, and that just means that it gets emailed to you when I post it, which because I'm in Toronto right now, it's getting posted at like seven am LA time. Okay, I love this story. We're seeing a huge spike in couples that want to get married do it at the courthouse, go to specifically, they're going to the Santa Barbara County Courthouse, which is gorgeous, because Santa Barbara is gorgeous. But one of the reasons that we are seeing this maybe it's because of the uncertainty in the economy, but more and more young people are realizing that a big.
Speaker 2: Expensive party is just not worth it.
Speaker 3: And look, I have had some fun at some big weddings. My brother in law and sister in law's weddings were massive productions with lots and lots of people, and I'm sure there are lots of memories. I mean, we have like photo booth pictures, so we remember it. But I'm so glad that I did not have a big wedding, and we were almost on track to have one. So if you don't know my story, my wife and I got engaged in twenty nineteen in December, just a couple of months before the world shut down. In fact, in February, we went up to Santa Barbara wine country, to the Santynez Valley. We went to Foley Winery, which at the time was one of my wife's favorite wineries to talk about what it would look like to get married there, because that's a thing that they do. And I think part of the deal is you have to buy like one hundred bottles of pinot or something. Oh, I think we'll get through that. And it was going to be the good stuff too. But you could host one hundred people and they had vendors that you could contract with. There's a place up there, I think it's called the Valley Piggory that could have done some pork dishes for us. And it was looking at like just rent the venue was a couple thousand dollars. Then you got to buy the wine on top of that. Then you have to pay for the food. Then you have to worry about getting travel for all these people to come out to Wine country booking rooms. It's just it was a hole to do, but there was no way around it. My wife's family wanted to have another big, fancy celebration. My sister in law got married in a beautiful ceremony near the Trinity River in Dallas, and my brother in law got married in Santa Fe at the Inn and Spot Loretto. They actually got married at the famous Loretto Chapel.
Speaker 2: And it is the cutest thing.
Speaker 3: When we walk our niece along Santa Fe, we pointed it out once to her that hey, that's where your mommy and daddy got married, and she remembers that. So anytime we walked past the Loretto Chapel, she'll say, that's where mommy and daddy got married. It is the cutest thing. I don't want any of my own, but I love that kid. So we were on track to have to do something as spectacular, but then the world shut down in March, specifically what March fifteenth, sixteenth of twenty twenty, and so we had to put all of those plans on hold, which was fine because I think like a week before we get a call from the events coordinator at Foley who was like, you know, we really much rather have you do this at what firehouse? And I was like, we have no connection to that. We'd have never been to that winery.
Speaker 2: No, thank you.
Speaker 3: So a few months go by, time stops, we stock up on toilet paper. I'm still going into work every single day, but every single other person is working remotely, so that means, of course that the freeways are wide open. Boy do I miss that those were some good old times, me and the four h five and a twenty minute commute to get to Culver City. I do look back on that part of the pandemic very fondly. Two net positives out of the pandemic. There was no traffic for a while, and leggings became socially acceptable. That's probably the best takeaway from COVID is that leggings became acceptable to wear in the workplace around town, not just when you're going to pilates or yoga.
Speaker 2: So at least we have that.
Speaker 3: When it came to around September October, and it looked like the two weeks to slow the spread that turned into the thirty days to slow the spread that had turned into no one knows when this thing is ending, and restrictions are getting worse and worse. They started talking about banning outdoor dining in Los Angeles. My wife texts me, I remember exactly where I was. It was at the radio station, and she texted me, I have a crazy idea. And I texted back, is it to drive to Santa Fe and get married?
Speaker 2: And she said yes.
Speaker 3: So my wife, who works in television production, organized this like a production because you needed to, because This was deep COVID October of twenty twenty, and she organized everyone to arrive by car. And when I say everyone, I mean eight people including us. The only people that were at this wedding were me, my wife, my mother in law, my father in law, my sister in law and her husband. My brother in law and her husband. My parents were invited, but they didn't want to go. That's a long time to be in the car, I understand. So we make the journey on the road. My wife figured out like the safest gas stations to stop at to be able to like wash our hands, and you know, all the nice truck stops. Very interesting driving through places like Kingman, Arizona, where nobody was wearing masks because well that wasn't a thing in Arizona. But we made it to Santa Fe safely, I remember, and gosh, it was so it was so heartbreaking to hear this because you know, we had, you know, like everybody associated with our friends and family maybe a little bit like distanced on a patio and wearing masks. We would do little wine get togethers. We would do little zoom dinners where we would make food and drop it off at our friend's houses that live nearby, and then we'd eat on zoom.
Speaker 2: These were things that we did.
Speaker 3: But I'll never forget when we finally got to the house and the in laws come in and my mother in law said, am I allowed to hug you guys?
Speaker 2: Ah. It was a strange time.
Speaker 3: But again I look on this memory so fondly because we got married right there in the backyard of the house that we love in Santa Fe.
Speaker 2: The leaves were turning. It was just the eight of us.
Speaker 3: We did hire a photographer, one person to document the day. My wife found a two hundred dollars dress on Amazon. She paid for a bouquet at a local place that costs about fifty bucks, and the whole thing, including travel, including everything else, maybe cost us a few hundred dollars. To get the license in New Mexico was like twenty five bucks, which by the way, I think it's only seventy five bucks in in Santa Barbara County, So that's a great idea to do it.
Speaker 2: At the time.
Speaker 3: We actually couldn't even get one in Los Angeles County because they were so backloged. Because people they wanted to get married, they wanted to get their live started together. You know, at the time, one of the reasons we wanted to get married sooner rather than later was because I had SAG after health insurance, and that meant that my wife would have SAG after health insurance. And then what do you know, just about a year later, they introduced that working spouse rule. I'm still pissed off about that sag after, but the whole thing cost us very little. We ended up getting takeout for the shed that we had at the house. I had read Chile enchiladas. We got these little cupcakes from Chocolate Maven. It was a very, very very special celebration and definitely one of the highlights of that whole strange era that was COVID. But it was a small wedding, and the added bonus was all of the money that my in laws were prepared to spend on that wedding, which would have been quite a lot because the other weddings were pretty extravagant, went toward helping us with a down payment for our house, because even though I make a decent living and my wife makes a decent living, we were still nowhere close to having the money for a twenty percent down payment on a home in the valley, and it kind of worked out because the house we were renting, the owners decided to sell it and they gave us first bite, which was very nice of them, because if they had put that thing on the market, they could have easily gotten fifty thousand more than they were asking for.
Speaker 2: But it all worked out great.
Speaker 3: We're still in that house to this day, and we also have a very cool wedding date ten ten, twenty twenty. So I love to see that the courthouse ceremonies are on the rise.
Speaker 2: I am all for it.
Speaker 3: My advice if you want to have a big wedding, fine, but I think if you can take whatever money was going to go towards that and have it go towards something a little more lasting, like a house payment, it was well worth it. And we still had an incredibly memorable day.
Speaker 2: It was a great time.
Speaker 3: And now I look back at all those pictures and I'm like, wow, I was one hundred pounds heavier. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on KABC.
Speaker 2: It's the News.
Speaker 3: Blitz with Randy Wang on Talk Radio seven ninety KABC. Janis Hahn, who we know has great affection for bus drivers. I love the bus driver has a interesting idea for the La Metro board. Janis Hahn thinks that we should have a bus writer on the Metro board as a voting member. And the funny thing about this concept, it's something that has been done in other cities, so it's not a crazy idea.
Speaker 2: But the funniest thing about this is.
Speaker 3: The reason that we need someone who rides the system is because none of the fifteen or sixteen members of the Metro board ride the system. In fact, Janis Han made a lot of headlines when she was Metro chair last year.
Speaker 2: That's your final warning.
Speaker 3: Because Janis Han was like, I'm gonna take this thing once a month from San Pedro to Union Station on the Silver Line whoever they're calling it now. I was like, that's actually from her talking to the news about how the bus was a lot dirtier than she thought it was. So we need an actual Metro rider to be on the board because nobody will ride it, whether it's for completely legitimate things like Catherine Barger mentioning that she doesn't feel safe using it from Pasadena to downtown Los Angeles, or the fact that it is even though we have expanded it greatly. I mean, come on, we've now got the D line, and we know who loves the D Line, don't we.
Speaker 2: Where are you, Tom Steyer? I'm Tom Steyer. I never about to ride the D.
Speaker 3: One of our listeners, by the way, and I don't even know how to do this. Cleaned up that sound.
Speaker 2: I'm Tom Steyer. I never about to ride the D I'm.
Speaker 3: Not that much of an expert, but I can do a few things. It still doesn't really go anywhere I live in the San Fernando Valley. There is no feasible way for me to take Metro to Culver City. It just cannot happen. I would have to take the Orange Line busway all the way to North Hollywood take the North Hollywood Red Line. Again, nobody knows what these things are called now, so I'm just gonna go with the names they're known by. All the way down to near Union Station. I think you can go to Seventh Street, then take the Expo Line and all the way to Culver City. It would take two hours instead of my one hour by car. And you know your system is bad when sitting on the hellish four h five Freeway is faster. You also have legitimate safety concerns because, unlike bart in the Bay Area, Metro does not have locking faregates. A lot of these stations are outdoors and anybody can get on, and as we have seen during COVID another COVID mention, we kind of decided it was a Gavin Newsom idea to make transit free, which eventually turned all of the Metro stations and Metro buses and Metro trains into homeless shelters. And we are slowly but surely cleaning them up. And Jennis Hahn has introduced some interesting ideas like weapons detection at Metro stations, but how do you do that with the bus? And we've gotten a little better at fair enforcement. We'll see if Metro starting their own police station has any positive results. But it is funny to me that nobody on the board will ride it. So they need to have a member. Now what kind of member is it going to be, because it's got to be somebody that isn't working on a Thursday at eleven o'clock in the morning, So I'm gonna guess it's somebody who's not working. Are they getting a salary to be on this board. I have a lot of questions, but I'm not opposed to the idea. Let's talk about what's going on in Petaluma before we get out of here, because this is a story that you know, we get emails about this pretty regularly up and down the state of California of senior citizens that are able to live in mobile home communities. They're able to survive on the retirement, on Social Security, what have you, because they live in these mobile home communities that are designated for seniors.
Speaker 2: And over the last few years, While.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this is the specific situation in Petaluma, but we have so many stories up and down the state of California of these mobile home parks getting bought by private equity and trying to squeeze as much cash as they can out of them, and some of them making life a living hell for the senior citizens who then move out and they can turn it into something else, turned into some other kind of development. I'm guessing you can't make a whole lot of money on senior's only low income mobile home parks. And the owner of this park says they need to be able to raise the rents even though they can already raise them six percent every year. They say they're still not making any money on this thing, and the residents are like, we can't afford anything else.
Speaker 2: We're going to have to.
Speaker 3: Move, and there's nowhere else to move too. So it's either go to Arizona, go to Nevada, or be homeless. And we've got to figure out a happy medium here. I don't understand why, in all the talk about our housing crisis, why we're not building more mobile home parks, Like isn't that isn't a trailer?
Speaker 2: Is a double wide?
Speaker 3: Isn't that like, you know, an easy way to get into home ownership. And apparently we've had some insane rules about things like and this is something that the big federal law that just got passed that for some reason Trump didn't want to sign. One of the interesting things that it did was it made a change in the regulations around prefabricated homes, where apparently to build a prefabricated home you had to make it so it was, it had wheels, it had a trailer. Apparently that's not the case anymore, and prefab homes can be made much cheaper. We'll see if that actually takes any change or effect. But we need more of these things, not lefts of these things, because if you get rid of the mobile home parks because everyone's climbing that they're not making any money, you're going to chase more and more seniors out of the state, and we don't want that. And maybe as one of the things that was talked about in that housing bill is that big private equity firms can't buy more than like three hundred and fifty houses, I think we might also need to figure out private equity not buying up mobile home parks and other kinds of multifamily because it's it's not a winner for everybody. And if truly costs are so expensive, whether it is insurance, whether it's utilities, what have you, If nobody can make any money and the only thing we can do is raise the rent to the point where nobody can afford to live there on fixed incomes, what is the answer. This is where the DSA will say public housing, But I don't know what you do if we want to keep people here but we cannot afford to have them here. I feel real bad for the seniors that are having their rent stretch. Then, and there's also other little tactics that are going on, and this is how you know sometimes what's going on is underhanded. They took look Away all their parking spaces because they said they were gonna build something there. So now there's like eighty spaces for three hundred people. But they're not building anything there. They're just trying to make life a living hell. So these people will leave because they're locked into leases and the only way to get them out is to get them out by making life unbearable for them. And I don't like that whatsoever. These stories don't get nearly enough attention, but it's one of the things.
Speaker 2: It's not just do.
Speaker 3: We need to build, build, build, build, build more housing, which again the question I have is at what point have you built enough that you actually see prices and rents going down?
Speaker 2: Is San Diego great example.
Speaker 3: They have built, built, built, built, built, and the prices have not gone down. It has not happened. Hey, thank you so much for being a part of this show. This is day two of my adventures in Toronto, and I'm having a heck of a lot of fun. Make sure to catch us on YouTube at YouTube dot com, slash at Randy Wang Radio. That's where You can check out The John Phillips Show live from noon to three every single day. It's the News Blitz with Randy Wang on ka BC