Speaker 1: It's around the Park with Dave Fleming, Giants Rangers in Texas. Our guests today Giants outfielder Drew Gilbert. Will talk to Drew after this. It's around the park with Dave Fleming. We're here in Texas, Giants and the Rangers and a guy that we've watched all year and I realized we hadn't talked to. So it's time to catch up with Drew Gilbert, who has done a really good job as a young player for the Giants in a lot of different ways. Now, Drew, you and I are talking on Monday. This show is going to air on a Tuesday, so the timing might be a little bit off, but it is a I know you're a young guy, but it's a strange day around this Giants team, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt. I mean, you know, even when you're in the minor leagues, whether it was you know, last year, years pass for me, you understand that, you know, there's always potential for crazy things to happen, you know, and obviously we haven't put ourselves in a farewel position this year to you know maybe add you know, so that kind of puts in a position where you know, we have really good players and you know, you kind of understand that teams are probably gonna want some of those players. So you know, it's it can be a bittersweet day, right, And you have guys who've formed relationships with and uh, you know, when you're with each other every day for you know, a long long time. You know, however, so many hours. Uh, you know, you get to know guys really well, and so you know, it's tough, but like I said, we put ourselves in these situations, but you know, happy for those guys may get an opportunity to compete and play for you know, a chance to compete for a championship this year. So yeah, like you said, it's a strange day, but it is part of the business.
Speaker 1: And it's a good you know, it's a good mature answer you have. On the flip side, is is that you just went through this a year ago, and and for a player who's coming to a team that's brand new, it does you use the word opportunity like for some guys it's an opportunity to play in the playoffs. For some guys like you, it's an opportunity to blossom your big league career.
Speaker 2: You take every day. It's an opportunity, right, you know, in this league, right, like, you have to find a way to try to prove yourself every single day. You know it's not always going to go your way. It results wise, just because it's tough, it's a tough leak, but yeah, you gotta you gotta take every opportunity you can possibly get in and at least try to make the most of it. So you know, like you said, it's an opportunity and that's all you can ask for, right, you know, you're great for the opportunity. You appreciate the opportunity, and you know you do everything in your power to make the most of it.
Speaker 1: All right, give me a little self assessment on the progress you've made, kind of the things you've been working on. How you feel like you're progressing.
Speaker 2: It's a tough question because I'm very competitive and I expect the most out of myself. But you also, you know, you gotta have perspective when you know you get home at night and you understand that you know, maybe you're not gonna it might not be an overnight process, right where you're just the player you want to be right out the get go. And that doesn't that doesn't mean you you don't work like it. But I think it's it's it's been a process, right. I feel like I do feel like I have slowly improved over the course of time, and I do trust my ability to do that over a long period of time. And I'm not gonna stop until I am the player I want to be. But as of now, I'm not that player. But I do feel like I'm continuing to improve. And you know, I just want to be a winning player for the Giants. So that's really all I want to be. And you know, I have great support team around me, coaches, teammates, staff that are always pushing me to be that, and uh, you know, I'm determined to get that done.
Speaker 1: And I and as a final thought, because it's a short little show here, but like I think all of us have noticed a bunch of improvements for you. I know for you, I talked to Tony about that's this with you, about you because you are hard on yourself and you can see it on the field and the emotion I think for you is a part of what makes you successful as an athlete. But I know, Tony, at least it tells me. He's talked with you about channeling that emotion sometimes in a different way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's actually someone I've gotten a lot better at. I mean, hey, y'all, y else should have seen me back in the day. I mean it was it was crazy. So you know, I think, like you said, it's it's it's probably what's gotten me here, but you know it can also hurt me, right, So I think it's just how can I make it so it's something that helps me all the time, you know, which may be impossible to get, but not someone that I'm not gonna chase after, So you know, just try to You know, I got great examples here that try to help me, whether it's you know, Tony, he's great with the Metal game, and then guys who have played this league.
Speaker 1: Took us too long to catch up with you. Thanks for the time. We'll talk to you again.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: That's true, Gilbert. We'll keep going with our pregame right after this